PDA

View Full Version : Q & A with Brian Robison

singersp
10-12-2011, 06:52 AM
Questions with Bob Sansevere: Vikings defensive end Brian Robison

Vikings defensive end Brian Robison wears black tape across his upper and lower back, his hamstrings and ankles, and he has persuaded several teammates to do it, too.

Questions with Bob Sansevere: Vikings defensive end Brian Robison - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Questions-with-Bob-Sansevere-Vikings-defensive-end-Brian-Robison-24718578)

TheJazzyOne
10-12-2011, 12:35 PM
Hey, whatever works! This guy is great!

i_bleed_purple
10-12-2011, 02:35 PM
That crowd that was saying Robison couldn't be an every-down player is awfully quiet around these parts...

AngloVike
10-12-2011, 03:18 PM
That crowd that was saying Robison couldn't be an every-down player is awfully quiet around these parts...

funny I was thinking the same thing on Sunday....:clap:

C Mac D
10-12-2011, 03:57 PM

Tom Pelissero, the writer for ESPN 1500 Twin Cities, is in that quiet group of people. Before the season, he wrote an article questioning why we got rid of Edwards for Robison, saying Robison "lacks Edwards' physical talent." I left a comment on that article and said anyone who understands football can see Robison is a much better athelete... well, he fired back with stats and scouting reports. However, he doesn't reply so much anymore... but I still leave comments on the article asking where he's at.

People who don't understand the nuances of football should not be professional sports writers. Robison is far better than Edwards. Always has been.

Johnson14
10-12-2011, 04:11 PM
to be honest, I am more excited about Everson Griffen than B-Rob. The kid has it ALL and has impressed the heck out of me this year.

C Mac D
10-12-2011, 05:17 PM
to be honest, I am more excited about Everson Griffen than B-Rob. The kid has it ALL and has impressed the heck out of me this year.

Robison is 9th (actually 4th, but 6 players tied) in the league for sacks with 4.5... and it's not impressive enough for you?

I'm sure he'd have more, but Allen leads the league with 8.5 sacks... so he's probably taking a few away from B-Rob.

Seriously, Griffen has a long way to go before he's on Robison's level.

2011 NFL Player Defense Stats - National Football League - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks/year/2011/seasontype/2)

Marrdro
10-13-2011, 08:48 AM
Crowd? LOL. I think it was one guy and he has already admitted he was wrong.

On a side note, he still needs help against the run. I think Erin replacing Leber has played a bit role in helping Rob out in that regard. Last time I looked he was right up there in tackles with EJ and Chad, which is pretty impressive seeings how much he comes off the field in the second halfs when teams start throwing and we go into our nickle.

Marrdro
10-13-2011, 08:53 AM
Robison is 9th (actually 4th, but 6 players tied) in the league for sacks with 4.5... and it's not impressive enough for you?

I'm sure he'd have more, but Allen leads the league with 8.5 sacks... so he's probably taking a few away from B-Rob.

2011 NFL Player Defense Stats - National Football League - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/defense/sort/sacks/year/2011/seasontype/2)
A long way? You need to go back and watch some tape.

I like Rob alot, but you don't see them using him as a LB'r. If there is anyone who deserves credit for the improved play on the DL, it isn't Rob my friend. Its how they use Everson and Ballard.

Heck, I bet he has half the tackles Rob has and doesn't see the field near as much. As the season goes on, I bet all his stats go up as his playing time increases.

Marrdro
10-13-2011, 08:56 AM
Your not alone my friend.

My guess, the staff agrees with you as well. Take a look at Robs contract. If they thought he was a long term answer out there they would have given him a lot better contract.

Purple Floyd
10-13-2011, 09:09 AM

My guess, the staff agrees with you as well. Take a look at Robs contract. If they thought he was a long term answer out there they would have given him a lot better contract.

Like the one they gave berrian?:rofl:

i_bleed_purple
10-13-2011, 09:23 AM

or, you know, they were in a tight position as far as cap space, and wanted to get a real VALUE signing.

Just because a player is good doesn't mean you HAVE to pay him stupid amounts of money. Rob was basically unproven, they gave him a decent contract, starter salary (yes, it is) and now's his chance to prove he either a) deserves that money or b) deserves more money

He seems like a great guy, not one only playing for the biggest paycheck possible. I think if he puts up two 10+ sack seasons, he won't make a big stink about a new contract, but he'll get one regardless, sooner rather than later.

C Mac D
10-13-2011, 12:40 PM

I like Rob alot, but you don't see them using him as a LB'r. If there is anyone who deserves credit for the improved play on the DL, it isn't Rob my friend. Its how they use Everson and Ballard.

Heck, I bet he has half the tackles Rob has and doesn't see the field near as much. As the season goes on, I bet all his stats go up as his playing time increases.

You're right. He's still not on Robison's level, but seems to be pretty damn good.

Robison is playing like one of the best DE's in the league, without question.

battleaxe4cheese
10-13-2011, 01:31 PM
He's playing lights out and seems to be improving every game. He has a great motor and I'm glad we kept him.

Johnson14
10-13-2011, 02:16 PM

+1 Marty!.. :clap:

singersp
10-15-2011, 12:25 PM

The crowd that was saying the only reason the LDE was having success was because of K-Will & JA are just as quiet about that fact.

Why aren't they saying it now?

singersp
10-15-2011, 12:28 PM

Wait a minute! LOL! What happened to "Stats mean squat"?

jargomcfargo
10-15-2011, 01:33 PM
The crowd that was saying the only reason the LDE was having success was because of K-Will & JA are just as quiet about that fact.

Actually, given the fact Edwards is considered a big free agent bust in Atlanta, with only one sack and playing the run poorly, that arguement still has validity!

KW has only been back 2 games and our ends are having a great year. I think that says a lot about how well our young tackles are playing in the rotation. Griffen seems to be good at tackle or end with his speed and explosiveness.

Robison just simply appears to be a better player than Edwards,

i_bleed_purple
10-15-2011, 04:43 PM

because it's pretty tough to say this early on in the season.

We're at the point where Allen is on pace for 27 sacks, and Robison on pace for around 14.

I doubt either hit that mark.

KW has been back two games, and him and Allen definitely help in regards to Robison getting free. I haven't watched him in particular, but I doubt he gets as many doubleteams as KW/Allen do.

If he keeps it up though, who knows what will happen.

All I know, Allen + KW allowed Edwards to break free for a good but not elite preformance.

Allen + KW are allowing Robison to break free for what looks like a pretty good season. Can't really say too much though at this point, there's nothing to either confirm nor deny that point. However, the fact that Edwards is looking like a shit that a piece of shit takes in Atlanta definitely helps that belief.

Caine
10-15-2011, 06:22 PM

Have you looked at Edward's stats? He dropped off the planet for all intents and purposes.

I'm not calling Robison an Elite DE, I'm saying he's turned in some damn solid performances...just like Edwards did when he was here. But the POINT was that Edwards wouldn't do so well when he didn't have a phenomenal supporting cast...and that points been proven. And then some.

Caine

Freya
10-17-2011, 06:16 AM
saying Robison "lacks Edwards' physical talent."

If this is true, then Robison gives us proof that talent alone is insufficient without effort and ambition.

singersp
10-17-2011, 06:37 AM
Have you looked at Edward's stats? He dropped off the planet for all intents and purposes.

I'm not calling Robison an Elite DE, I'm saying he's turned in some damn solid performances...just like Edwards did when he was here. But the POINT was that Edwards wouldn't do so well when he didn't have a phenomenal supporting cast...and that points been proven. And then some.

Caine

I wasn't referring to Edwards here. Let me be more clear. The ones claiming that Edwards had success only because of JA & KW aren't saying Robison is only having success because of JA & KW.

Apparently his success has nothing to do with them.

12purplepride28
10-17-2011, 08:15 AM
I wasn't referring to Edwards here. Let me be more clear. The ones claiming that Edwards had success only because of JA & KW aren't saying Robison is only having success because of JA & KW.

Apparently his success has nothing to do with them.

No one is ever going to dispute that (although KW didn't play the first two games and has sucked all year), although when you compare Robs and Rays play here, Rob is looking like a much better player. I would say that some of that is because of Rob's talent. If Rays level of play=product of JA and KW, then Rob's level of play=product of JA and KW+Not being a jackass+Having talent.

Marrdro
10-17-2011, 08:23 AM

Caine
Have you watched those games? The whole defense has dropped off the planet, not just Ray.

Marrdro
10-17-2011, 08:29 AM
because it's pretty tough to say this early on in the season.

We're at the point where Allen is on pace for 27 sacks, and Robison on pace for around 14.

I doubt either hit that mark.

KW has been back two games, and him and Allen definitely help in regards to Robison getting free. I haven't watched him in particular, but I doubt he gets as many doubleteams as KW/Allen do.

If he keeps it up though, who knows what will happen.

All I know, Allen + KW allowed Edwards to break free for a good but not elite preformance.

Allen + KW are allowing Robison to break free for what looks like a pretty good season. Can't really say too much though at this point, there's nothing to either confirm nor deny that point. However, the fact that Edwards is looking like a shit that a piece of shit takes in Atlanta definitely helps that belief.
Did you see how many times JA was doubled last night? Not once, in fact they singled him and handled him not only with a T but with a fricken TE and 5 times they completely left him unblocked.

As to Ray, saying he sucks cause his play has dropped since going to Atlanta is a bit off. If your going off of that rationale your also say Abraham sucks as well.

Truth is, as I mentioned to Caine, Atlanta has alot of problems on defense contributing to production and Ray is the least of those problems.

Marrdro
10-17-2011, 08:33 AM
He's playing lights out and seems to be improving every game. He has a great motor and I'm glad we kept him.
He actually got alot more attention than JA did last night. I chart 3 times a RB/4 time a TE stayed in to help the RT. Not sure on one so I won't count it, but 3 times a RB chipped and then went out into the flat on a route.

C Mac D
10-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Did you see how many times JA was doubled last night? Not once, in fact they singled him and handled him not only with a T but with a fricken TE and 5 times they completely left him unblocked.

As to Ray, saying he sucks cause his play has dropped since going to Atlanta is a bit off. If your going off of that rationale your also say Abraham sucks as well.

Truth is, as I mentioned to Caine, Atlanta has alot of problems on defense contributing to production and Ray is the least of those problems.

I don't think his play has dropped off... because it was never really that good. He averages 5 sacks a year for his career, with one 3 sack game coming in the 2009 playoffs. That's really it. Overrated doesn't begin to explain the career of Ray Edwards, the guy should be coming off the bench. Not starting material.

Marrdro
10-17-2011, 08:49 AM
I don't think his play has dropped off... because it was never really that good. He averages 5 sacks a year for his career, with one 3 sack game coming in the 2009 playoffs. That's really it. Overrated doesn't begin to explain the career of Ray Edwards, the guy should be coming off the bench. Not starting material.
I almost agree, but if you look at 2 things.......1) Sacks a LDE gets in the league right now and 2) His production other than sacks (which is what makes him valuable as a starter) I think you would agree with me that he is a pretty good (not great) DE.

If you look at him solely on his "Sacks" production, then yes, I would agree with you.

C Mac D
10-17-2011, 09:05 AM
I almost agree, but if you look at 2 things.......1) Sacks a LDE gets in the league right now and 2) His production other than sacks (which is what makes him valuable as a starter) I think you would agree with me that he is a pretty good (not great) DE.

If you look at him solely on his "Sacks" production, then yes, I would agree with you.

Oh... in that case, he also averages 19 tackles a year since coming into the league.

Say what you want, but he's strictly average. If that.

Marrdro
10-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Oh... in that case, he also averages 19 tackles a year since coming into the league.

Say what you want, but he's strictly average. If that.
Average = Good IMHO.

Besides, I bet if you looked JA (RDE) has about double that. Sounds about right considering how both ends seem to play into the grand scheme of things.

Webby
10-17-2011, 09:30 AM

Pan to me giggling at the thought of Marty watching every single snap of Robison, and then rewinding each snap three times with his special B-Rob cam, versus the feed everyone else has.

battleaxe4cheese
10-17-2011, 09:40 AM
I have a football hangover today.

12purplepride28
10-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Average = Good IMHO.

But not for kickers I assume?

i_bleed_purple
10-17-2011, 10:21 AM
But not for kickers I assume?

average = good only when we're talking about:

Sullivan
Herrerra
Loadholt
Tahi (in this case, awful = good, actually same could be said for all above)
Sanford
Griffin
Asher
Gerhart
Berrian
Camarillo
Dugan
D'Imperio
Erin Henderson
Tyrell
Madieu
Cook(Ryan)

Average = OMG WTF are you doing you freaking idiot!
Longwell
Kluwe
Winfield
Favre
Birk

Purple Floyd
10-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Pan to me giggling at the thought of Marty watching every single snap of Robison, and then rewinding each snap three times with his special B-Rob cam, versus the feed everyone else has.

Don't forget he is also wearing his beer goggles......