PDA

View Full Version : Vikings' OL deserves its share of the blame

singersp
10-07-2011, 08:36 AM
Vikings' offensive line deserves its share of the blame

Twenty-eight NFL teams have drafted at least one offensive lineman in the first round since 2002. The Vikings aren't one of them.

Read more: Vikings' offensive line deserves its share of the blame - Football Wire - SunHerald.com (http://www.sunherald.com/2011/10/06/3491593/vikings-offensive-line-deserves.html#ixzz1a6BzIyQZ)

singersp
10-07-2011, 08:47 AM
I've been saying our OL sucks for years & we needed to draft or get FA's to improve it & except for the few that agreed with me, most scoffed at the idea, giving a multitude of excuses.

Now that both Favre & McNabb have failed behind the OL, more fans are finally seeing it. This isn't a new problem by any stretch of the imagination.

battleaxe4cheese
10-07-2011, 09:22 AM
I've been saying our OL sucks for years & we needed to draft or get FA's to improve it & except for the few that agreed with me, most scoffed at the idea, giving a multitude of excuses.

Now that both Favre & McNabb have failed behind the OL, more fans are finally seeing it. This isn't a new problem by any stretch of the imagination.

Well that's all fine and dandy, but who cares if the fans do or don't see it. If the front office doesn't see it, than your point is moot.

singersp
10-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Well that's all fine and dandy, but who cares if the fans do or don't see it. If the front office doesn't see it, than your point is moot.

If that's the case, then who cares if fans think McChunky sux? If the front office doesn't see it, then your points about it have been moot.

Who cares if fans think we should start Ponder? If the front office doesn't see it, then your points about it have been moot.

Are you also saying then, no matter what the fans post on PP.O, if the front office doesn't read it, our points are moot?

Then why are you here posting if all your points are moot? ;)

Marrdro
10-07-2011, 12:04 PM

The only ones that are agreeing with you are the ones that don't have a clue.

Could we draft OLmen higher and have better success with them? Sure, but who would you have given up (lets just use our first round picks) over the years to improve the OL?

Truth is, if you look around the league, there are a hell of alot more OL playing right now that were drafted in the later rounds than were drafted in the early rounds.

And our losses this year can not be solely the blame of the OL (or Berrian). It can all be traced back to piss poor play calling. Nothing more, nothing less.

On a side note, alot of fans are starting to agree with me on that little tidbit that there are that are blaming the OL by the way. :clap:

Marrdro
10-07-2011, 12:08 PM
Excellent post my friend.

Gotta lay some blame at the coaches feet as well. This is the same coaching staff that said they don't need a FB in the scheme and now I see they just promoted one from the PS.

Its also the same staff that probably said they were good with our OL and yet we see them draft a C only to replace him with a FA.

Long story short, this isn't about the OL, it isn't about the WR, this is about a organization as a whole (starting with the Coaches) that sure seems to be clueless when it comes to what they are trying to do.

Maybe they should go out and ask the players again. Isn't that what they did at the beginning of the season? ......snicker......

Purple Floyd
10-07-2011, 12:58 PM

:clap:

Well stick me on the doesn't have a clue spreadsheet because I for one agree with him .

CbusVikefan
10-07-2011, 02:24 PM

Ya Think? lol, I always thought the key to success was starting up front on both sides of the ball. This was the direction I thought they were headed when they drafted Kevin Williams. THe defensive line yes, but the O line has not been addressed in the same quality.

Freakout
10-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Of course. I saw this posted on another Vikings messageboard.

Just to put it in perspective, Charlie Johnson is ranked as the 29th most efficient pass blocking LT and Phil Loadholt is ranked as the 26th most efficient pass blocking RT. Anthony Herrera is ranked 57th in pass blocking efficiency for all Guards (no distrinction between LG and RG). John Sullivan is ranked 31st for Centers.

He admits that you cannot take statistics as gospel, more to the story, etc.. but you cannot ignore rankings that bad from 3 of our 5 linemen.

Mr Anderson
10-07-2011, 02:40 PM
Of course. I saw this posted on another Vikings messageboard.

He admits that you cannot take statistics as gospel, more to the story, etc.. but you cannot ignore rankings that bad from 3 of our 5 linemen.
Does he post a link to where he got those stats from? I'd love to see that page.

missvikes
10-07-2011, 02:58 PM
I don't think any thread poster here blames 1 simple person, position, or issue on our piss poor season (after another). I personally love to target McNabb BUT, he didn't volunteer to walk on the field in Purple we purchased him. It is a collective group of problems that for some reason the owners & staffing cannot seem to sort out. Is it really that big of a mess? I guess, but I don't see how roster changes and disipline (like benching) doesn't correct our problems. Isn't Bud Grant still in the office? He was the king of not letting players slack & seemed to know how to turn a team around. (Gruden knew how to turn a team around too. Don't get me wrong I love Frazier but maybe we need someone with a meaner personality to make this work)
Look around this site and thread after thread is our collective reasons for this season being so depressing & frustrating. We don't dissagree with each other that our team lacks what it needs, we just have all our own collective opinions on how to fix it. Now if someone would listen to us......

Mr Anderson
10-07-2011, 02:59 PM
I'd like for us to use two of our top 3 picks in the draft on offensive line. We didn't really address it last year, but we had other holes to fill.

I think the lack of an offseason really hurt us, I don't think we would have drafted Ponder in the first round if we had signed McNabb in March like we would have in an ordinary year, instead we could have used that pick on an offensive lineman like Nate Solder at tackle or Mike Pouncey at center/guard.

If we solve the LT situation, we can bump Johnson inside, apparently he's a natural guard anyway. So put him at RG and use Herrera for depth, the guy's been declining every year since 07.

I think you plug in a talented LT and the whole line gets instantly better. Throw a center in there who can hold his own and this offense changes completely.

jargomcfargo
10-07-2011, 03:04 PM
I'd like for us to use two of our top 3 picks in the draft on offensive line. We didn't really address it last year, but we had other holes to fill.

I think the lack of an offseason really hurt us, I don't think we would have drafted Ponder in the first round if we had signed McNabb in March like we would have in an ordinary year, instead we could have used that pick on an offensive lineman like Nate Solder at tackle or Mike Pouncey at center/guard.

If we solve the LT situation, we can bump Johnson inside, apparently he's a natural guard anyway. So put him at RG and use Herrera for depth, the guy's been declining every year since 07.

I think you plug in a talented LT and the whole line gets instantly better. Throw a center in there who can hold his own and this offense changes completely.

Even mediocre quarterbacks can look good behind a good offensive line. I agree, build the line first. It's the foundation of a successful team.
Seems like common sense 101.

marshallvike
10-07-2011, 04:51 PM
Even mediocre quarterbacks can look good behind a good offensive line. I agree, build the line first. It's the foundation of a successful team.
Seems like common sense 101.

How to build a team 101. Professor Jim Finks

Freakout
10-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Does he post a link to where he got those stats from? I'd love to see that page.

Signature Stats Snapshot - Pass Blocking Efficiency | ProFootballFocus.com (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/09/30/signature-stats-snapshot-pass-blocking-efficiency/)

singersp
10-07-2011, 06:10 PM
Signature Stats Snapshot - Pass Blocking Efficiency | ProFootballFocus.com (http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/09/30/signature-stats-snapshot-pass-blocking-efficiency/)

Thanx! Hey Marrdro! You might want to read this rather than lay blame on Musgrave.

singersp
10-07-2011, 06:32 PM

Could we draft OLmen higher and have better success with them? Sure, but who would you have given up (lets just use our first round picks) over the years to improve the OL?

Truth is, if you look around the league, there are a hell of alot more OL playing right now that were drafted in the later rounds than were drafted in the early rounds.

No one said we had to draft OL in the first round. We didn't do enough drafting of them in later rounds & completely ignored lineman in FA while we watched a few of the ones we had sign elsewhere. Our depth at the OL position has been mediocre & scant at best.

Childress stated it all started up front when he was hired In 2006 & vowed to fix it. The only OL man we drafted during his regime were;

C: Sullivan & Ryan Cook

G: Degeare

T: Loadholdt

And our losses this year can not be solely the blame of the OL (or Berrian). It can all be traced back to piss poor play calling. Nothing more, nothing less.

It can? Are you saying play calling is to blame for McNabb throwing balls at peoples feet?

Is play calling to blame for receivers dropping passes?

Is play calling to blame for the lack of holes for AD to run thru?

On a side note, alot of fans are starting to agree with me on that little tidbit that there are that are blaming the OL by the way. :clap:

Where are these mystery fans? Is there a "play calling" or "we need a new OC" thread that I missed?

Dfoster
10-07-2011, 06:47 PM
I told you in the absolute acme of your run to the SB under Favre & co. that you had o-line difficulty.

Totally dismissed me because of my fandom for the Pack. I was right, you were wrong, imo.

Zeus
10-07-2011, 09:23 PM
I told you in the absolute acme of your run to the SB under Favre & co. that you had o-line difficulty.

Totally dismissed me because of my fandom for the Pack. I was right, you were wrong, imo.

Oh, hush child.

=Z=

thorshammer
10-08-2011, 09:46 AM
Our O-line sucks period. Can pass block or run block. Could be the main reason the rest of our skill positions aren't looking so good. You have to have a good o-line to succeed in this league and ours sucks.