PDA

View Full Version : Tarkenton: Vikings 'need to play Ponder

singersp
10-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Fran Tarkenton: Vikings 'need to play Christian Ponder

"I told people back before the Vikings made the move, 'If you think Donovan McNabb is the answer, he's not.' You're going with another old quarterback.

http://www.twincities.com/ci_19038438

singersp
10-04-2011, 09:58 PM
"I told people back before the Vikings made the move, 'If you think Donovan McNabb is the answer, he's not.' You're going with another old quarterback.

This is the part where most people chime in and once again tell Fran to shut his pie hole because the senile old bastard doesn't know what he's talking about.

Just like they did the past two years.

Right?

drat
10-04-2011, 10:44 PM
I am with Fran, He is the man. I was going to post bring back Fran and Bud, but I didnt want to get blasted. They both have to be steaming about the team this year

12purplepride28
10-04-2011, 11:31 PM
I agree with him, but he's a dumbass when he says "In Green Bay, they got rid of Brett Favre and went with Aaron Rodgers. They didn't just win a Super Bowl. They're set for the next 10 years." Rodgers sat for like 3-4 years. Idk why he thinks bringing up Rodgers will help his point unless he thinks we will NEVER play Ponder.

C Mac D
10-04-2011, 11:42 PM
Yeah, it's pretty obvious we never should have signed McNabb. Should we have brought in Favre? Probably not, but he brought a lot of money to the organization (and took a good amount too).

Bottom line, we are now seeing what happens when a team uses temporary patch-work fixes instead on focusing on the team as a whole. I can't see our team's identity.

Also, I'm fairly certain we brought in McNabb for the jersey sales. Wilf couldn't get over his Favre fever... or should I say his bank account couldn't.

ThorSPL
10-05-2011, 12:35 AM
I figure we should let him play to see what we have in him. It can tell us what to do with the #1 pick we're staring in the face currently.....

Mark_The_Viking
10-05-2011, 07:04 AM
I figure we should let him play to see what we have in him. It can tell us what to do with the #1 pick we're staring in the face currently.....

+1

battleaxe4cheese
10-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Part of me wants to play him, but with this line he may get killed in short order. He has more mobility than Donny, but all it takes is one massive hit from his blindside and it's all over but the crying.

If I were to play him, I would start him out with three step drops and fire. Or three step drops and run if reads are covered. He can't afford to sit in the pocket(which isn't much at this point) and wait for the inevitable freight train type hit.

The only other solution would be designed roll outs sprinkled with a few shotguns. At least with shotgun he would have more reaction time when the line crumples like Rosie O'Donnell's lawn chair.

Purple Floyd
10-05-2011, 11:00 AM
I look at it this way. If we are going to play ponder next yer I have no faith that the OL will be any better than it is this year.

Hutch will be even older
Loadholt may or may not improve
Then you have the LT, The C and the RG.

Even if you change all of those positions out there is absolutely no guarantee the play will improve and actually a better chance they will take a step back until they can get their chemistry down.

So what then? Do we wait another 2-3 years to play Ponder until the line is up to par? And what is even to say it will happen that fast considering we have had this issue for going on 6 years now and it is still right where it was then.

12purplepride28
10-05-2011, 11:20 AM
I look at it this way. If we are going to play ponder next yer I have no faith that the OL will be any better than it is this year.

Hutch will be even older
Loadholt may or may not improve
Then you have the LT, The C and the RG.

Even if you change all of those positions out there is absolutely no guarantee the play will improve and actually a better chance they will take a step back until they can get their chemistry down.

So what then? Do we wait another 2-3 years to play Ponder until the line is up to par? And what is even to say it will happen that fast considering we have had this issue for going on 6 years now and it is still right where it was then.
Great point. Everyone says Ponder will get killed behind our line, but why assume it will be any better next year? And if we drafted Luck, there goes our first pick which is our best shot at improving our o-line, so should we play Luck and let him get killed back there?

We have a lot to address in the draft next year, but there's no guarantees that we'll get Jake Long or someone even close.

TheJazzyOne
10-05-2011, 12:32 PM
I actually just wrote in my blog yesterday that I think the Vikings should start Joe Webb (http://www.thevikingship.net/joe-webb-smart-choice/opinion-article/) instead of Christian Ponder.

I think the Vikings need to see what they have in Webb. If he's good, we know that we can go into next season with a real competition between Webb and Ponder for the starting job. If he's bad, we'll know that next year it's probably time to hand Ponder the keys to the car, and we might have to be patient while he learns to drive.

Traveling_Vike
10-05-2011, 01:59 PM
Great point. Everyone says Ponder will get killed behind our line, but why assume it will be any better next year? And if we drafted Luck, there goes our first pick which is our best shot at improving our o-line, so should we play Luck and let him get killed back there?

We have a lot to address in the draft next year, but there's no guarantees that we'll get Jake Long or someone even close.

There are never any guarantees, but you can easily expect to get better on the O-line because by next year, we will have several opportunities to improve the personnel. Draft, Free Agency, trade... all of these can happen before next season. Only a trade could happen now, and that is much less likely. Plus, we'll have a full off-season to work with.

This is also exactly why I am opposed to drafting Luck, if we should happen to be in that position (which I still believe we will not). We simply need too much help elsewhere, and do have a strong potential successor already in place at QB.

Purple Floyd
10-05-2011, 02:14 PM
There are never any guarantees, but you can easily expect to get better on the O-line because by next year, we will have several opportunities to improve the personnel. Draft, Free Agency, trade... all of these can happen before next season. Only a trade could happen now, and that is much less likely. Plus, we'll have a full off-season to work with.

This is also exactly why I am opposed to drafting Luck, if we should happen to be in that position (which I still believe we will not). We simply need too much help elsewhere, and do have a strong potential successor already in place at QB.

Why would you expect the OL to get better by next year when we have basically the same FO we have had for the past 5 years and there has not been a single substantial upgrade at any position in that whole time sine we got Hutch in 2006.

Since then we have managed to move backwards at LT. Backwards at C. Stayed the same but with more injuries at RG and while we did use a higher pick at LT to shore up that position we just released the one guy in the league that could compliment him size wise.

You are talking about a major renovation of the line to get to where we are even a top 10 unit. That will require replacing Hutch, Sully, Johnson and Hererra and hoping that Loadholt takes a few steps up in his game.

That is not happening in one or even 2 years my friend. If everything goes right we are still looking at this roster being a 5 year project before we are a real, consistent, solid contender.

Gift2
10-05-2011, 07:15 PM
right or wrong, Fran is just a grumpy old man with a negative outlook on life. On point it is not time for ponder yet.

It's Webb time!!

Traveling_Vike
10-06-2011, 12:06 AM
Why would you expect the OL to get better by next year when we have basically the same FO we have had for the past 5 years and there has not been a single substantial upgrade at any position in that whole time sine we got Hutch in 2006.

At least there will be that opportunity, which we will NOT have BEFORE next year.

Since then we have managed to move backwards at LT. Backwards at C. Stayed the same but with more injuries at RG and while we did use a higher pick at LT to shore up that position we just released the one guy in the league that could compliment him size wise.

You mean the one guy whose head everyone was screaming for? The one guy who couldn't keep his off-the-field activities under control? The one who showed up massively out of shape? The same guy who is currently stinking it up for the Ravens?

You are talking about a major renovation of the line to get to where we are even a top 10 unit. That will require replacing Hutch, Sully, Johnson and Hererra and hoping that Loadholt takes a few steps up in his game.

Yes, a major renovation is needed, eventually. But we don't need to immediately become a top 10 unit, like you seem to think. Any improvement is a step forward, and we will have plenty of chances to do that. We don't need to replace all of them in one shot, but we have a reasonable hope of upgrading at least two positions via draft and FA.

That is not happening in one or even 2 years my friend. If everything goes right we are still looking at this roster being a 5 year project before we are a real, consistent, solid contender.

Quite possibly so. But then again, we do have a potential franchise QB to protect now, which we have not had since Culpepper. Management may decide that they need to protect their investment.

singersp
10-07-2011, 08:23 AM
Joe Theismann: Vikings need to make QB change

Joe Theismann: Vikings need to make QB change - NFL - Sporting News (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-10-05/theismann-vikings-need-to-make-qb-change)