PDA

View Full Version : Just can't do it

Traveling_Vike
09-30-2011, 12:17 AM
I can't root against my Vikings, no matter what.

There's been a bit of talk lately about tanking the season and using the first pick in the draft to take Andrew Luck. While he is a fantastic prospect, I don't think there's any way we actually finish that badly. It shouldn't even really be close.

And there is no way in hell that I will ever root for it to happen.

I root for my team to win, and I expect them to play to win each and every game, no matter what the circumstances. I don't care how bad things get, nothing will ever change that. If we end up last anyway, so be it. as long as I know we went down fighting.

I know I went off on the coaching staff earlier this week. I broke one of my own cardinal rules and posted in the heat of the moment. But I am done with pessimism and negativity. It's time I got back to who and what I really am, and that is a FAN.

So onward and upward, and let's kick some Chiefs butt this weekend!

Purple Floyd
09-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Good luck with that.

C Mac D
09-30-2011, 02:04 PM
I started Matthew Stafford in my fantasy league last week and was rooting for him.

Trust me, the coaches aren't trying to win games. If they were, McNabb wouldn't be on the field and they wouldn't hand the ball to Peterson 5 times in the second half. If the coaches don't care about the team winning, neither do I.

12purplepride28
09-30-2011, 02:43 PM
I care about us winning.... A SUPER BOWL. Not Finishing 7-9 or 5-11. I'd rather go 2-14 and get a top pick than that useless middle pick. We aren't going to win the Super bowl this year, or next year, or after that, or ever. But in the mean time, I hope AD breaks some rushing records, Ponder sees 8-9 games, and we finish low enough to snag Kalil or Blackmon. I want us to win the big game, and if that's going to happen, we need to add some serious pieces. That ain't happenin at the 14th pick in the draft. Sure it's still a good pick, but to get an elite prospect, we need top 5.

VikesFan787
09-30-2011, 02:46 PM
Fuck that, play to win.

12purplepride28
09-30-2011, 05:17 PM
It's nice to say that you want your team to win every game, and I'm sure most here do. But what would've happened if we ended up 9-7 and just missing the playoffs last year? We would still have TJ and Childress. And Bevell. Thankfully they are all gone. Look at the seahawks in last years draft. If they would've lost the playoff game to the saints they would've jumped an insane amount of spots. I realize it's playoffs and completely different and I would never expect a team to lose a playoff game, or any game for that matter, on purpose. But as a rational fan, you have to realize what's best. Would you rather experience the joy of a couple wins this season and still not even coming close to the playoffs, or would you rather us have a draft pick that we can use to get an ELITE talent like a Luck, a Blackmon, or a Kalil. We aren't as far off as some people think from being in the playoffs. If Ponder can play decent and we get a WR and an OL in the draft, we will be in good position to compete.

Purple Floyd
09-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Who cares how far away we are from being a playoff team. I want to know how far away we are from being a S B team. And if it takes a few years in the cellar to get the talent it takes to get there then so be it.

12purplepride28
09-30-2011, 07:34 PM
Who cares how far away we are from being a playoff team. I want to know how far away we are from being a S B team. And if it takes a few years in the cellar to get the talent it takes to get there then so be it.

In the playoffs, anything can happen and anyone can be a SB team. Some more likely than others, but anythings possible.

Webby
09-30-2011, 07:41 PM
Skol! On to victory!!!!

Zeus
09-30-2011, 07:54 PM
I want the Vikings to win every game. But this is a year that I don't really expect that to happen. And I'm not going to get terribly upset if they end up drafting in the top-5. There are LOTS of holes to fill on this team. And the quickest way to do that is the draft.

=Z=

C Mac D
09-30-2011, 08:12 PM
I want the Vikings to win every game. But this is a year that I don't really expect that to happen. And I'm not going to get terribly upset if they end up drafting in the top-5. There are LOTS of holes to fill on this team. And the quickest way to do that is the draft.

=Z=

I agree, I'm more excited about having a top draft pick. I had a feeling we would be a bad team early in camp, so there wasn't big expectations. If not Luck, we should draft Blackmon.

Purple Floyd
09-30-2011, 08:47 PM
In the playoffs, anything can happen and anyone can be a SB team. Some more likely than others, but anythings possible.

So are you saying this roster is going to win a SB?

C Mac D
09-30-2011, 09:43 PM
The bigger issue is that the team will be in LA next season.

singersp
09-30-2011, 09:58 PM

=Z=

Which is it? One day you want them to win. On another day you'd rather have them finish 3-13, rather than 9-7.

12purplepride28
09-30-2011, 10:01 PM
So are you saying this roster is going to win a SB?

What? Where did I ever say that? I said, in the playoffs, anything can happen. We aren't good enough to get to the playoffs, but if somehow we did, you never know. Our D-line can pressure with the best of them and if AP goes off we can beat anyone. Not likely, but "any given sunday" is a cliche for a reason.

singersp
09-30-2011, 10:10 PM
I agree, I'm more excited about having a top draft pick. I had a feeling we would be a bad team early in camp, so there wasn't big expectations. If not Luck, we should draft Blackmon.

You don't have to have a horse-shit season or tank it or even have one of the top picks in the draft to get players to fill holes.

When is the last time NE has had a top 10 pick as a result of a shitty record? How about GB? Steelers? etc..

How good have those top 10 picks been for Oakland? SF? Rams? etc...

What you do in the draft is what counts. A team can always move up, make trades etc..

12purplepride28
09-30-2011, 10:25 PM
You don't have to have a horse-shit season or tank it or even have one of the top picks in the draft to get players to fill holes.

When is the last time NE has had a top 10 pick as a result of a shitty record? How about GB? Steelers? etc..

How good have those top 10 picks been for Oakland? SF? Rams? etc...

What you do in the draft is what counts. A team can always move up, make trades etc..

Those teams don't have near the talent that we have. If we can get a top WR or LT that can step up and we make some solid picks in the 2nd and beyond we can be right back in the thick of things.

singersp
09-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Those teams don't have near the talent that we have. If we can get a top WR or LT that can step up and we make some solid picks in the 2nd and beyond we can be right back in the thick of things.

Those should have been the first things the Vikings grabbed in FA. But as usual, they sat on their hands.

It's a little late now 3 weeks into the regular season. Nobody left looking for work, but toaster leavings.

12purplepride28
09-30-2011, 10:57 PM
Those should have been the first things the Vikings grabbed in FA. But as usual, they sat on their hands.

It's a little late now 3 weeks into the regular season. Nobody left looking for work, but toaster leavings.

Well those are all sunk costs now, nothing we can do. What we can do is draft well this year and hope we are more active in FA. I would've loved to pursue Braylon Edwards and Malcolm Floyd, and think we would be stacked with those 2 and Percy. But I guess we're ok with Jenkins (who is actually a nice surprise) and Brick hands. But finishing middle of the pack isn't helping anyone.

singersp
09-30-2011, 11:08 PM
Well those are all sunk costs now, nothing we can do. What we can do is draft well this year and hope we are more active in FA. I would've loved to pursue Braylon Edwards and Malcolm Floyd, and think we would be stacked with those 2 and Percy. But I guess we're ok with Jenkins (who is actually a nice surprise) and Brick hands. But finishing middle of the pack isn't helping anyone.

Yup. The thing was they weren't grabbed right away either & they were both available when McKinnie got cut.

Traveling_Vike
10-01-2011, 02:44 AM
High draft picks are great, but like singer said, it's not where you pick, but what you do with your picks that matters. There are some years we've done quite well with relatively low picks. But that really isn't even the issue.

I don't care if we are 0-15 coming into our last game of the season, I am still hoping for a win. Come game day, that's what I want to see, and what I will root for. I don't care if losing will get us a better draft pick, I still want to win.

I can deal with losing. I've seen quite enough of it by now. I can even find the bright spots after the fact, like the higher draft picks for example. It's giving up that chaps my ass. You take what you are given, but you should never stop fighting.

I did not have particularly high expectations for this team this year, and I still don't,, but I still hope for the best each and every week. Until the clock runs out, I will keep rooting them on and hoping for a miracle, if that;s what is needed.

Never surrender. Never give up hope. Never say die.

Maybe it's just me... but then again, maybe not.

SKOL VIKINGS! You are always winners in my heart.

singersp
10-01-2011, 07:11 AM
I don't care if we are 0-15 coming into our last game of the season, I am still hoping for a win. Come game day, that's what I want to see, and what I will root for. I don't care if losing will get us a better draft pick, I still want to win.

I can deal with losing. I've seen quite enough of it by now. I can even find the bright spots after the fact, like the higher draft picks for example. It's giving up that chaps my ass. You take what you are given, but you should never stop fighting.

I did not have particularly high expectations for this team this year, and I still don't,, but I still hope for the best each and every week. Until the clock runs out, I will keep rooting them on and hoping for a miracle, if that;s what is needed.

Never surrender. Never give up hope. Never say die

T-Vike = T-Fan

;)

battleaxe4cheese
10-01-2011, 09:14 AM
The problem with a crappy season at this particular time is the stadium issue. Now is the worst possible time to have a lousy season, coupled with a bad economy, and contract deadlines for mall of America field. Kind of the perfect storm if you will for the Vikings right now and the fans.

Though all of these problems can be overcome if enough people are willing and able.

drat
10-01-2011, 10:10 AM
I want to go into every game with the idea that we are going to win. We have a lot of great talent here and it is insulting to them to think different. I think we have the players to win, at least the last three games, but the coaching staff has to put it together. If you cant pass long , go short, or run. They have to adapt to the tempo of the game and go with what is working. If all else fails go to a ground pounding game with AP and Toby.

singersp
10-01-2011, 01:00 PM
High draft picks are great, but like singer said, it's not where you pick, but what you do with your picks that matters. There are some years we've done quite well with relatively low picks. But that really isn't even the issue.

Lets also not forget that tanking the season to get the high draft pick that many fans are hoping for doesn't mean shit for us if it's the LA Vikings doing the picking next year.

Enjoy them while they're still here.