http://www.twincities.com/ci_18980346

singersp
09-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Vikings to evaluate McNabb's mechanics

Mental mechanics or physical?

Webby
09-26-2011, 10:24 PM
Mental mechanics or physical?

Or his mechanics aren't fixable. Didn't the Skins bench him for a damned reason?

ultravikingfan
09-26-2011, 10:45 PM
It seemed to me he was thrwoing off his back foot and leaning away from the throw. Almost like he was flicking it.

Webby
09-26-2011, 10:47 PM
He stepped up many times and away from pressure and made sure footed throws for most QBs.

His wrists just hate him.

Limp as fresh spaghetti.

Webby
09-26-2011, 10:47 PM
Not Marty's noodle arm thing, by the way! LOL

Mr Anderson
09-26-2011, 10:55 PM
My "told you so" to all the McNabb lovers:

"throws more bad balls than anyone I've ever seen. If you think Tarvaris Jackson's mechanics are inconsistent, watch McNabb, and he's been in the league for 11 years."
http://www.purplepride.org/f2/childress-mcnabb-reunion-1035909/#post1035990

"He should complete a lot more. His completion percentage doesn't vary with his receivers. He's the same QB he was in 2000, minus most of the athleticism. His inconsistency as a passer is all that is consistent."
http://www.purplepride.org/f69/donovan-mcnabb-minnesota-vikings-makes-sense-1093115/index3.html#post1093325

"Throws as many bad balls as any QB I've ever seen."
http://www.purplepride.org/f69/donovan-mcnabb-minnesota-vikings-makes-sense-1093115/index2.html#post1093189
As much as I love being correct, I really wish I was wrong on this one.

MulletMullitia
09-26-2011, 11:15 PM

OMG I was thinking the same thing when I read that post. Please don't get Marty started with that again! Lol

singersp
09-27-2011, 06:15 AM

Nope. A limp wrist is a whole different discussion.

singersp
09-27-2011, 06:24 AM
"Whether it be his drops or whether it be the footwork, whatever we need to do to help improve some of those balls that aren't quite on target," Frazier said during Monday's news conference. "That's not the only reason we're falling short. That's one of the reasons; there were some other things we've got to work on as a team. Specifically to Donovan, consistent play at the position is what you're always looking for."

Hey Leslie! You might want to wait at least 24 hours before contradicting what you said earlier. You're still suffering from CRE.

“I don’t think our quarterback position is our problem right now,” Frazier said. “We’re not thinking about anything at the quarterback position.”

Marrdro
09-27-2011, 06:34 AM
OMG I was thinking the same thing when I read that post. Please don't get Marty started with that again! Lol
LOL, you and Webby crack me up.

I will say this however, because I was so quick to jump on the Noodle, I have resisted the urget to hack on the QB outright and have blamed most of the passing on trying to get the timing down.

I am now off that tact. Just to many short and left on the 3, 4, 5, and 6 routes and to many over thrown on the 7, 8 and 9 routes.

On the reply to the one to Berrian, I love the shot they had of Dnabb and Herrera. Both were ready to celebrate until they saw it was overthrown.

By the way, he made two reads before he threw that my friend. Can't blame it on the OL. :o

Marrdro
09-27-2011, 06:35 AM
Nope. A limp wrist is a whole different discussion.
Well played my friend.

Purple Floyd
09-27-2011, 06:53 AM
If anyone ever actually watched him play and expected anything different they were delusional. If they also believe he will try to actually fix those mechanics they are even more so.

singersp
09-27-2011, 07:20 AM
If anyone ever actually watched him play and expected anything different they were delusional. If they also believe he will try to actually fix those mechanics they are even more so.

Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Purple Floyd
09-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Problem is they couldn't teach that dog when he was young or he wouldn't have those issues now.

jmcdon00
09-27-2011, 09:32 AM
To his credit I think McNabb has made great decsions, regularly finding the open guy, rarely throwing into double coverage, buying time in the pocket. His failing is simply the execution. Never seen so many plain bad throws.

I don't see him getting much better either. Doesn't appear to be timing issues.

Johnson14
09-27-2011, 09:57 AM
To his credit I think McNabb has made great decsions, regularly finding the open guy, rarely throwing into double coverage, buying time in the pocket...

+1

He isnt a gun-slinger, throw deep into tripple coverage and hope-for-the-best type of QB like #4 was, though he did actually have a WR who would 'go up and get it' in Sidley, where as McNabb has to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Honestly, i dont think McNabb is the problem, least he shouldn't be getting the amount of flack he is anyway. The numbers 22/36, 211yrds, 1 TD, 0INT, are decent numbers, not great but not bad either... vanilla would be the word.

kspurplepride
09-27-2011, 10:08 AM
+1

He isnt a gun-slinger, throw deep into tripple coverage and hope-for-the-best type of QB like #4 was, though he did actually have a WR who would 'go up and get it' in Sidley, where as McNabb has to make chicken salad out of chicken shit.

Honestly, i dont think McNabb is the problem, least he shouldn't be getting the amount of flack he is anyway. The numbers 22/36, 211yrds, 1 TD, 0INT, are decent numbers, not great but not bad either... vanilla would be the word.

His numbers on 3rd downs this season are awful though. Which is where we actually need him to play well

C Mac D
09-27-2011, 11:21 AM
Shouldn't they have done this before they signed him?

Mr Anderson
09-27-2011, 11:31 AM
His numbers on 3rd downs this season are awful though. Which is where we actually need him to play well
37.5% completion on 3rd downs.

Opposed to his 58% total completion rate, 78.1 QB rating, 478 yards(159 per game) and 2 TDs. All of which rank among the bottom 6 QBs in the league. So, Johnson, they are not "decent numbers" they are some of the worst numbers in the league. His company in that bottom 6(for yardage):Luke McCown, Matt Cassel, Kerry Collins, Alex Smith and Tarvaris Jackson.

So while that 1 interception over 3 games may look pretty good, when there's no production to go along with it, it's not. A 2:1 TD:INT ratio is impressive, but not when you only throw two TDs. That's pretty lame.

battleaxe4cheese
09-27-2011, 11:53 AM
Over a decade in the league and how many teams...superbowl appearances,playoffs, and we are talking about his mechanics? If he hasn't fixed them by now who in the hell are they kidding that he's going to magically make adjustments to his fundamental throwing habits at the end of his career?

This is laughable.

VikesFan787
09-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Good thing we caught it at a young age.

singersp
09-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Over a decade in the league and how many teams...superbowl appearances,playoffs, and we are talking about his mechanics? If he hasn't fixed them by now who in the hell are they kidding that he's going to magically make adjustments to his fundamental throwing habits at the end of his career?

This is laughable.

Perhaps we just need to hire the QB guru that helped him for most of his career in Philadelphia?

Oh wait.........

NDVikingFan66
09-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Wasn't Chilly one of his coaches? Did he teach him his mechanics, or did they go bad after Chilly left?

i_bleed_purple
09-27-2011, 11:09 PM
Wasn't Chilly one of his coaches? Did he teach him his mechanics, or did they go bad after Chilly left?
It's quite obvious that childress put him in a position to succeed, by calling plays that work to his strength, and not forcing things

:rofl:

singersp
09-28-2011, 06:46 AM

That's who I meant by "QB Guru" in my post. ;)

Purple Floyd
09-28-2011, 06:48 AM
He isn't even coaching here any more and his legacy is still screwing us.

singersp
09-29-2011, 07:33 PM
Donovan McNabb defends mechanics

Donovan McNabb of Minnesota Vikings defends motion, footwork - ESPN (http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7035565/donovan-mcnabb-minnesota-vikings-defends-motion-footwork)

Ltrey33
09-29-2011, 07:59 PM
Perhaps we just need to hire the QB guru that helped him for most of his career in Philadelphia?

Oh wait.........

I think we should bring back Freddie Mitchell.

missvikes
09-30-2011, 02:25 PM
reading this article makes me really frustrated. I was not happy when we decided to pick him up, waste of $ was my first reaction. McNabb (in my opinion) hasn't been a very good QB in the past, especially last year. He even then wanted to blame everyone around him, he wasn't treated good enough by the Shanahan's. He thinks cuz he's a 13yr Vet he's owed starting position. His accuracy sucked then. He couldn't even run the field without getting tired. He had no stamina & didn't feel like in the long off season he had things to work on? EVERY player has things to work on and perfect. It sounds like McNabb is stubborn and unwilling to look at his faults. & Being as old as he is and plateau'n, I don't see why we are wasting time on a stubborn excuse maker when we could be giving Ponder the training same "mechanical evaluations" to be a starter. He's open, willing & ready to be molded. Start him for a game & put McNabb in as back up if he throws worse than McNabb (which he doesn't) McNabb wouldn't even throw the ball in the 1st game and now I see why!!
What do we have to lose? a game? 50/50 no matter who we put in, in my ranting opinion.
(& yes I know our OL hasn't been perfect & Peterson & Harvin aren't being used correctly, but McNabb sucks. that's the prominent problem)

Purple Floyd
09-30-2011, 05:55 PM
reading this article makes me really frustrated. I was not happy when we decided to pick him up, waste of $ was my first reaction. McNabb (in my opinion) hasn't been a very good QB in the past, especially last year. He even then wanted to blame everyone around him, he wasn't treated good enough by the Shanahan's. He thinks cuz he's a 13yr Vet he's owed starting position. His accuracy sucked then. He couldn't even run the field without getting tired. He had no stamina & didn't feel like in the long off season he had things to work on? EVERY player has things to work on and perfect. It sounds like McNabb is stubborn and unwilling to look at his faults. & Being as old as he is and plateau'n, I don't see why we are wasting time on a stubborn excuse maker when we could be giving Ponder the training same "mechanical evaluations" to be a starter. He's open, willing & ready to be molded. Start him for a game & put McNabb in as back up if he throws worse than McNabb (which he doesn't) McNabb wouldn't even throw the ball in the 1st game and now I see why!!What do we have to lose? a game? 50/50 no matter who we put in, in my ranting opinion(& yes I know our OL hasn't been perfect & Peterson & Harvin aren't being used correctly, but McNabb sucks. that's the prominent problem)

I agree completely. Too bad you weren't here when I was getting hammered for saying he was no good and a waste of money and draft picks. Hope you stick around.

TheAnimal93
09-30-2011, 07:06 PM
100,000 mile tune-up is what is needed. Change the oil, new air filter, new SPARK PLUGS, check the DRIVE belt, rotate the tires and check all fluids. New set of wires and do a complete diagnostic test. Wash and wax, send me a check.

Traveling_Vike
10-01-2011, 02:16 AM
100,000 mile tune-up is what is needed. Change the oil, new air filter, new SPARK PLUGS, check the DRIVE belt, rotate the tires and check all fluids. New set of wires and do a complete diagnostic test. Wash and wax, send me a check.

I was wondering if someone would go there. So if McNabb's mechanics are no good, we need to fire them and replace them with someone who knows how to take care of a car properly.

TheAnimal93
10-01-2011, 04:14 AM
I was wondering if someone would go there. So if McNabb's mechanics are no good, we need to fire them and replace them with someone who knows how to take care of a car properly.

A case could be made to replace the care-taker for purchasing the car in the first place. There should be a Lemon Law in the NFL.
Seriously, take a look at the teams that are winning, what do they have in common? Good QB play. McNabb is supposed to be the leader, by example, on the field. I have some questions for anyone. Is McNabb the first player at the facility every day? Is McNabb a gym rat? Is McNabb taking extra practice time with the WR's? Is McNabb working on his own to be better? I could go on but what's the point? The point is, I have plenty of questions about McNabb's play. If he was doing a good job, there would be plenty of praise. You can't look me in the thread and tell me he is playing WELL.

singersp
10-01-2011, 07:04 AM

That all should have happened prior to the enduro trip. Instead it was taken out for a short test drive, then parked in the garage, except for short trips around the block just to warm the engine up, so no other cars would crash into it or total it prior to the long drive.

Personally, I think the cars CPU is intermittent or shorted. Either that or we need to bring back in the same mechanic that checked T-Wills headlights & have him check McNabb's headlights to see if they are functioning properly.

TheAnimal93
10-01-2011, 01:04 PM
A trade-in may be necessary for the family. Can we get an Audi? Or a Maybach? or a Tesla Motors Car? Now, that would be cool.

Purple Floyd
10-01-2011, 02:01 PM
We are in the fast developing stages of buyers remorse as we are quickly finding out the sports car they sold us is just a tired old sedan with a ton of bondo and a paint job that is fading quick.

battleaxe4cheese
10-01-2011, 02:40 PM

Idea...How about we jack up his helmet and slide a new quarterback in it?

AngloVike
10-01-2011, 02:56 PM
We are in the fast developing stages of buyers remorse as we are quickly finding out the sports car they sold us is just a tired old sedan with a ton of bondo and a paint job that is fading quick.

Sounds like the kinda wagon that Red McCombs would love to have picked up and that mentality is still carrying on today.

TheAnimal93
10-01-2011, 07:51 PM
Lmao, this reminds me of this crappy LTD that I had. Beat to crap, vinyl top faded and it had a nice bit of rust. The stupid computer shut down frequently causing me to late for work a bunch of times until I finally got a newer piece of crap. hmmm. lol

JPPT1974
10-01-2011, 08:43 PM
If the Vikes go 0-4, they may promote Christian Ponder to starting QB. But really, it isn't all McNabb's fault for the team's start.

Purple Floyd
10-01-2011, 09:34 PM
Nope. It certainly isn't all his fault. There is no way you could ever pin all of the blame on him but the whole point of bringing him in was for him to help us win games that we wouldn't win with a younger guy and so far he not only has failed to win us the close games, but rather has failed to provide any sort of field leadership that would simply have the team maintain the lead they built.

Purple Floyd
10-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Maybe the Vikings need to get in touch with this guy:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/01/visit-from-quarterback-guru-got-tom-brady-on-track-for-season/

(http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/01/visit-from-quarterback-guru-got-tom-brady-on-track-for-season/)The bright spot for the New England Patriots in 2011 has been the passing game, fueled by quarterback (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/01/visit-from-quarterback-guru-got-tom-brady-on-track-for-season/)Tom Brady (http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/1163/tom-brady). But Brady wasn’t quite up to Brady standards before the season.
As Ian Rapoport of the Boston Heraldexplains it, a visit from quarterback guru Tom Martinez (http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/index.php/2011/10/01/tom-bradys-ailing-qb-whisperer-tom-martinez-made-a-special-labor-day-trip-to-fix-no-12/) helped get Brady back on track.
They watched film together, and Martinez quickly diagnosed several problems with Brady’s mechanics. Brady accepted the input, and he was fixed in time for the regular-season opener.
”He asked me to come out, right before the season started. Labor Day weekend,” Martinez told Rapaport. “He said he was off. His throwing was off. So I went out there Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. We went through the film. Then all of a sudden, everything else fell into place. Within about an hour, he was back to the old Tom Brady. Then he had that 517-yard game. . . . I guess what we did worked.”
(http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/01/visit-from-quarterback-guru-got-tom-brady-on-track-for-season/)

Traveling_Vike
10-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Perhaps what we need is a DeLorean, complete with flux capacitor. Then we could travel back in time and correct all of the mistakes that have been made over the years.

TheAnimal93
10-02-2011, 02:45 AM
yea, maybe. But who would want that? How about just getting going with your QB at the helm.

singersp
10-02-2011, 07:54 AM
Maybe the Vikings need to get in touch with this guy:

Visit from quarterback guru got Tom Brady on track for season | ProFootballTalk (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/10/01/visit-from-quarterback-guru-got-tom-brady-on-track-for-season/)

You mean there's another QB guru besides Childress?

singersp
10-02-2011, 08:11 AM
Perhaps what we need is a DeLorean, complete with flux capacitor. Then we could travel back in time and correct all of the mistakes that have been made over the years.

The Vikings just need to learn from the mistakes they've made.

#1. Don't trade 4 starters, 3 - #1 draft picks, 3 - #2 draft picks & a #3 & #6 draft pick for 1 player.

#2. If a player was let go by the Philadelphia Eagles or traded from them to a divisional rivalry, don't sign him.

How many ex-Eagles players have we signed in the past 6 years, only to have them disappoint?

I think we now know why the Eagles were comfortable trading McNabb within their division....Advantage - Eagles.

Scoot
10-02-2011, 10:30 AM
Vikings need to quit wasting the good player talent by recruiting older qb's. They are going for the miracle year. We have already lost 3 games. I say we go ahead and start Ponder and make this a building year for next year and the next, etc.. And if we are looking for a miracle year, then maybe Ponder will do it..