PDA

View Full Version : i know its extremely early but...

Austin LaVerne Madesian
09-25-2011, 04:55 PM
If the vikings end up continuing to do terrible and have the first pick, do they draft Luck?

I realize they just drafted Ponder and that he has a lot of high expectations for his future in purple, but if you have such a sure hit in a Quarterback do you let him go?

its a ways away, and probably wont happen, but its something to think about.

Purple Floyd
09-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Won't happen. Even if they specifically schemed to do everything in their power to tank the season and draft Luck they would find a way to screw it up.

battleaxe4cheese
09-25-2011, 05:00 PM
we will just be good enough not to pick first anyway

Traveling_Vike
09-25-2011, 05:25 PM
We won't have that shot, we won't be bad enough. But even if we are, I still don't take Luck. I'd trade down and get more picks, which we need way more than another rookie QB.

Taking Luck would completely invalidate the pick we used on Ponder after only one year. Then we would be stuck with one Rookie, one second-year guy, and (assuming we keep Webb) one third year guy. Ouch.

STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES
09-25-2011, 05:39 PM
IF they were to pick luck, every front office person should be fired on the spot and every coach should be fired as well. No pension, no buy out. NOTHING!!

skum
09-25-2011, 05:51 PM
Commited to Ponder for now, we need help at the Offensive Line and at Wide Reciever..

Guys like Matt Kalil from USC and Alshon Jeffrey from South Carolina will be names circling around come draft time.

Freakout
09-25-2011, 06:02 PM
Which is why we need to see Ponder play. I personally liked what I saw out of him in the preseason. We will eventually reach the point that we have to give him time this season.

Right now, due to my opinion of Ponder, I would rather see us trade back. The next draft will have several very good OT prospects.

ConnecticutViking
09-25-2011, 06:06 PM
Wouldn't surprise me... at this point.

marshallvike
09-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Which is why we need to see Ponder play. I personally liked what I saw out of him in the preseason. We will eventually reach the point that we have to give him time this season.

Right now, due to my opinion of Ponder, I would rather see us trade back. The next draft will have several very good OT prospects.

and we need several

Zeus
09-28-2011, 05:56 PM
If the vikings end up continuing to do terrible and have the first pick, do they draft Luck?

Ab-so-freaking-lutely. Luck, barring injury, is as close to a lock as anyone has been since Peyton.

=Z=

NDVikingFan66
09-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Ab-so-freaking-lutely. Luck, barring injury, is as close to a lock as anyone has been since Peyton.

=Z=

I respectfully disagree Zeus, unless we play Ponder this season and he looks absolutely horrible. We have so many holes, I would rather see us trade back and get multiple picks. Of course, on the flip side, someone has to be willing to step forward and offer up those picks for us to trade back.

Zeus
09-28-2011, 06:12 PM
I respectfully disagree Zeus, unless we play Ponder this season and he looks absolutely horrible. We have so many holes, I would rather see us trade back and get multiple picks. Of course, on the flip side, someone has to be willing to step forward and offer up those picks for us to trade back.

You pick Luck, you trade Ponder, and you use the 33rd pick in the draft on a LT for the future.

=Z=

midgensa
09-28-2011, 06:40 PM
If the Vikes have the first pick they will absolutely draft Luck. If they have the first pick it is likely the staff will be cleaned out again. At that point, the new staff will want their guy.
Ponder is nice and all, but Luck is the first pick of the draft NO MATTER WHO is picking there. I think there is a small chance that the Panthers would pass on him, but that would be it.

Reignman
09-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Come on, his name is Luck, how can you go wrong? I think it's a no brainer. We need some luck on our side for a change. 51 seasons without luck hasn't gotten us anywhere. Not that I think we have a shot considering the Chiefs, Dolphins, Colts, Rams, and Seahags are all going to be key players in the Luck sweepstakes this year. I think the Chiefs have a shot at going 0-16, but wouldn't that be something if the Colts got the #1 pick and let Luck learn from Manning for a couple of seasons? Yeah that would be something alright.

battleaxe4cheese
09-28-2011, 08:21 PM
You gotta draft Luck, no option.

Ltrey33
09-28-2011, 08:27 PM
We won't have that shot, we won't be bad enough. But even if we are, I still don't take Luck. I'd trade down and get more picks, which we need way more than another rookie QB.

Taking Luck would completely invalidate the pick we used on Ponder after only one year. Then we would be stuck with one Rookie, one second-year guy, and (assuming we keep Webb) one third year guy. Ouch.

The move would be to draft Luck and trade Ponder away. That would get you the extra picks, and you get the best quarterback to come out in a long time.

All of the draft folks say Luck is as close to a lock as you can get. I saw him play this year at Duke, and he didn't have a great game and still stood out as a man amongst boys.

We won't be bad enough for the #1 pick, but in the long shot that we do, he's a player you CANNOT pass on.

Purple Floyd
09-28-2011, 08:59 PM

=Z=

Lol.

So was Brian Brohm before he played his senior year.

Brian Brohm Scouting Report

Brohm is a coach's dream. He could've been the #1 pick last season before electing to return to college, so he's definitely pro-ready. What he's gained from being in a family of quarterbacks and by learning more under Bobby Petrino, Brohm has developed into the top quarterback prospect in the 2008 class. Some think he is a product of a pass-happy offense, but check him out on tape and you'll eat those words quickly. Brohm has all of the tools to be a franchise quarterback. He has the size and the big arm to go with it. More importantly, he knows how to use it. Whether it is to throw a bullet over the middle, a fade route to the corner, or the home run ball. He won't scramble for twenty yards, but he can move well enough and can get you a rushing touchdown or two. On top of his physical skills are his football knowledge and his headiness, so he makes few mistakes and he's willing to learn and get better.

I believe he is playing for the Las Vegas Locomotives right now.

i_bleed_purple
09-28-2011, 09:42 PM
ffs, I'm going to slap the next person who says we should draft luck.

We won't be in position, and we're not trading up, live with it.

Zeus
09-28-2011, 10:04 PM
ffs, I'm going to slap the next person who says we should draft luck.

We won't be in position, and we're not trading up, live with it.

Try and slap me, shorty. And, the question of the thread was if the Vikings do get the 1st pick, do you draft Luck. Whether or not we think that will happen is the subject for other threads here.

=Z=

Traveling_Vike
09-28-2011, 10:59 PM
The move would be to draft Luck and trade Ponder away. That would get you the extra picks, and you get the best quarterback to come out in a long time.

All of the draft folks say Luck is as close to a lock as you can get. I saw him play this year at Duke, and he didn't have a great game and still stood out as a man amongst boys.

We won't be bad enough for the #1 pick, but in the long shot that we do, he's a player you CANNOT pass on.

I respectfully disagree. Strongly.

Fist, if Ponder is bad enough that we'd want to draft another QB, then we wouldn't get anything for him.

Second, I don't care how "close to a lock" he may be, there are no guarantees in this game. He could just as easily flop as well. Then how would we look, drafting a QB three straight years and getting nothing?

Third, if he really is expected to be that good, then we should be able to get a lot in trade for that pick.

Fourth, QB is not our most glaring need. Hell, it isn't even in the top three, IMO. WR, OL and big DT all come in ahead, and maybe a cover LB as well. Some might even say defensive secondary. If we could trade that #1 pick for two lower firsts and a second (perhaps in different years) we'd be in excellent shape to fill those holes.

At the very least, you have to entertain offers. You never know, someone night offer us a Herschel Walker type deal.

i_bleed_purple
09-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Try and slap me, shorty. And, the question of the thread was if the Vikings do get the 1st pick, do you draft Luck. Whether or not we think that will happen is the subject for other threads here.

=Z=

Considering how unique of an idea this whole thread is, yes, I stand by what I said.

singersp
09-29-2011, 07:16 AM
You pick Luck, you trade Ponder, and you use the 33rd pick in the draft on a LT for the future.

=Z=

If we pick Luck & trade Ponder, Ponder will go on to become a top QB on another team & Luck will end up being another Jamarcus Russell.

However, if we pass on Luck & keep Ponder, Luck will go on to become a top QB on another team & Ponder will end up being another Jamarcus Russell.

Such is the life of a Vikings fan.

singersp
09-29-2011, 07:18 AM
IF they were to pick luck, every front office person should be fired on the spot and every coach should be fired as well. No pension, no buy out. NOTHING!!

Hater!

kspurplepride
09-29-2011, 10:24 AM
I respectfully disagree. Strongly.

Fist, if Ponder is bad enough that we'd want to draft another QB, then we wouldn't get anything for him.

Second, I don't care how "close to a lock" he may be, there are no guarantees in this game. He could just as easily flop as well. Then how would we look, drafting a QB three straight years and getting nothing?

Third, if he really is expected to be that good, then we should be able to get a lot in trade for that pick.

Fourth, QB is not our most glaring need. Hell, it isn't even in the top three, IMO. WR, OL and big DT all come in ahead, and maybe a cover LB as well. Some might even say defensive secondary. If we could trade that #1 pick for two lower firsts and a second (perhaps in different years) we'd be in excellent shape to fill those holes.

At the very least, you have to entertain offers. You never know, someone night offer us a Herschel Walker type deal.

While I don't necessarily agree with your evaluation of our team needs I will agree that using the first pick on Luck would be a waste. We could easily trade out of that first pick and end up with two first round, or a first and a high second for him which would allow us to draft a LT and a Safety to play opposite Abdullah.

El Vikingo
09-29-2011, 02:26 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/2zxtikm.jpg

i_bleed_purple
09-29-2011, 04:07 PM
While I don't necessarily agree with your evaluation of our team needs I will agree that using the first pick on Luck would be a waste. We could easily trade out of that first pick and end up with two first round, or a first and a high second for him which would allow us to draft a LT and a Safety to play opposite Abdullah.

If we were sitting #1, we'd damn well better get more than a first and second for the pick, unless it's like #3 overall and a second, even still, the Luck Pick will be worth a ton.

Not going to matter though, we'll do well enough to be assured no shot at Luck.

C Mac D
09-29-2011, 04:14 PM

No, that should have happened upon drafting Ponder.

We should absolutely draft Luck if given the opportunity.

C Mac D
09-29-2011, 04:44 PM

=Z=

Agree 110%. Someone better check the thermostat in hell.

12purplepride28
09-30-2011, 12:03 AM
I feel like if we get the pick we will hear "And the Minnesota Vikings have traded the #1 overall pick to the Carolina Panthers for their 1st pick and Jonathon Stewart" or some BS like that. No faith in us coming away with a good deal.

kspurplepride
09-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Have you watched Ponder play? The kid was a stud in college for an average at best team. Even playing hurt his entire senior season he was still a top 5 QB prospect. Don't let the scouts fool you, as most of them fail to look beyond his senior year. This kid has a bigger arm than most people give him credit for. Couple that with a strong worth ethic, some wheels, and a good head on his shoulders and I believe we have a solid starting QB. Remember just because a QB is a "lock" doesn't mean he'll actually pan out. As someone noted Brohm, was also a "lock" as were QB's like Leaf...