PDA

View Full Version : Coping with Loss

Webby
09-18-2011, 05:13 PM
This is especially for you lurkers and new members....I know how a few regulars deal with loss...they come here and vent until their fingers are numb!

So how do you deal with the loss?

I repress my anger under a veneer of calm until one day I plan on exploding and running naked across the field turf. Noone wants to see that.

Therefore, I must learn better ways to cope.

Let's hear it!!

Mark_The_Viking
09-18-2011, 05:15 PM
i bury my head in my hands and tell everyone "it will get better"

Jereamiah
09-18-2011, 05:28 PM
I used to lash out on this forum and behave, well, like a 12 year old girl who lost her tickets to the Beiber concert. Now days, I swill a couple O' Bud-Lights, post a whiney thought or two, and then start painting my models. After all, tommorrow is back to real life. Formations, 1SG's, and Army BS. The "Booty" thread doesn't hurt either. :)

Mr Anderson
09-18-2011, 05:31 PM
I bitch relentlessly to everyone around me.

Purple Floyd
09-18-2011, 05:37 PM
It is our 18th anniversary today. So many other things to be thankful for this is just a blip on the radar.

Mark_The_Viking
09-18-2011, 05:46 PM
It is our 18th anniversary today. So many other things to be thankful for this is just a blip on the radar. Happy anniversary!!

Zand
09-18-2011, 06:18 PM
i usually close sunday nights at my job, so the staff tends to get an ear full

Webby
09-18-2011, 07:06 PM
It is our 18th anniversary today. So many other things to be thankful for this is just a blip on the radar.

Happy Anniversary!

ultravikingfan
09-18-2011, 07:54 PM
I go out and kick the first little dog I come across.

lumberjackgreg
09-18-2011, 09:11 PM
I usually bitch to my wife. Then I try to put it back into perspective that it's just a sport and it's intended to entertain and if I really hated it and how it makes me feel when it doesn't go my way, I should stop watching.

In the end, we went out for sushi. Here's the conclusion (This post reads better if you read slowly with dramatic pauses and play this in the background -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B49N46I39Y#t=3m05s):

We are Vikings fans. We will always be Vikings fans. It doesn't matter if the team ends up in a different state due to stupid people and stupid politics, we are Vikings fans. This is our team. This will be our team. Some times, the ball isn't going to bounce our way. Some times, our front office is going to make a bad decision. Some times our team won't play as well as it should. Some times our coaches won't coach as well as they should. But this will always be our team. And I love our team. Skol.

Webby
09-18-2011, 09:23 PM
It doesn't matter if the team ends up in a different state due to stupid people and stupid politics, we are Vikings fans

(not being rude)

Speak for yourself. They leave the state, fuck them. Sorry.

Johnson14
09-18-2011, 09:29 PM
(not being rude)

+1

Summed it up perfectly for me.

lumberjackgreg
09-18-2011, 09:29 PM
(not being rude)

I just don't think it's the state's fault. I feel that the team has made a reasonable effort to stay. If they state screws with them, and they leave, do you fault the team, the state or both?

triedandtruevikesfan
09-18-2011, 09:32 PM
I pout for a day or two... yell about how the team is pure shit, and then forget about it and start looking forward to the next week.

Jereamiah
09-18-2011, 09:32 PM
I usually bitch to my wife. Then I try to put it back into perspective that it's just a sport and it's intended to entertain and if I really hated it and how it makes me feel when it doesn't go my way, I should stop watching.

In the end, we went out for sushi. Here's the conclusion (This post reads better if you read slowly with dramatic pauses and play this in the background -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B49N46I39Y#t=3m05s):

We are Vikings fans. We will always be Vikings fans. It doesn't matter if the team ends up in a different state due to stupid people and stupid politics, we are Vikings fans. This is our team. This will be our team. Some times, the ball isn't going to bounce our way. Some times, our front office is going to make a bad decision. Some times our team won't play as well as it should. Some times our coaches won't coach as well as they should. But this will always be our team. And I love our team. Skol. So what you are trying to say is: THE BALL IS NOT ROUND,,,LOL a good friend of mine said that to me once after a pass bounced all over a pack reciever who then got up and scored. So true. If they leave Minny? Im going Cardinals. Why not? At least they have a stadium

triedandtruevikesfan
09-18-2011, 09:35 PM
(not being rude)

Agreed, I've given them my loyalty for as long as I can remember, if they leave they can kiss my ass, I expect them to be loyal to the state that has loved them for 51 years!

LIVike
09-18-2011, 09:40 PM
I usually get pissed and bitch about the team to people or I have a long conversation with my father who is also a big vikings fan. That conversation is always about how much they suck and that we need to root for a new team, a few hours later I'm over it, it is just a game after all.

STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES
09-18-2011, 09:44 PM

We are Vikings fans. We will always be Vikings fans. It doesn't matter if the team ends up in a different state due to stupid people and stupid politics, we are Vikings fans. This is our team. This will be our team. Some times, the ball isn't going to bounce our way. Some times, our front office is going to make a bad decision. Some times our team won't play as well as it should. Some times our coaches won't coach as well as they should. But this will always be our team. And I love our team. Skol.

It most definitely matters to me if the team leaves. There's no way in hell i remain a vikings fan if the vikings move. Maybe we'll get a family membership at the Y, and go swimming on sundays instead. I'm not interested in being a fan of any teams near me geographically, and i won't jump on a bandwagon just to continue following the NFL.

singersp
09-18-2011, 10:02 PM
Coping with Loss

Wasn't this already covered in 1970, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1988, 1999, 2001 & 2010?

Purple Floyd
09-18-2011, 10:25 PM
Wasn't this already covered in 1970, 1974, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1988, 1999, 2001 & 2010?

And then some.

TrojanVike28
09-18-2011, 10:49 PM
I just watch highlights of the 09' season. It makes me feel better...until the NFC Championship game... I never watch those. It feels like it was forever ago. Maybe some day in the next ten years or so, we'll finally be able to win again. I don't see this losing stopping any time soon. Lions are going to be a force(they already are) Bears(they aren't that good but still better than we are) Packers(Well, they are the Packers, and will continue to win for years to come) In the Cellar we will sit until we get an O-Line, a better secondary, more depth, and that frachise thingy that every other team seems to have but us. What do you call it? Oh yeah, franchise QB... Just another day being miserable as a Vikings fan...

singersp
09-18-2011, 10:51 PM
(not being rude)

Tell us how you really feel. ;)

NDVikingFan66
09-18-2011, 11:15 PM
I stew about it on the drive home, keeping it bottled up.

Hop on the internet and check out PPO and other news articles when I get home.

Show up at work on Monday and take the shots at work about how it must suck to be a Vikings fan.

At that point my week starts to get better, but I have not really dealt with the loss. I will probably end up curled up in my room in a fetal position some day. I am hoping I don't end up joining Webby running naked across the field.

BrisbaneTerrier
09-18-2011, 11:15 PM
I'd be lost if we ever had to cope with victory.

snowinapril
09-19-2011, 12:06 AM
What Loss?

enlvikeman
09-19-2011, 12:17 AM
I come to purplepride

triedandtruevikesfan
09-19-2011, 12:20 AM
Wow, enl! I haven't seen you on here in forever!

Traveling_Vike
09-19-2011, 02:53 AM
I tend to get quiet and sulky for a few hours, but I'm over it by that evening. At that point I'm all about what we need to so heading into the following week. Focus on the future instead of playing the blame game.

It's easy to be a Patriots or Colts fan. It takes a pair of stainless steel 'nads to be a Vikings fan.

I do wonder sometimes, though, if I'm just storing it all up for the day I finally decide to go all Dexter and start executing the HCs of the teams that just beat us.

Purple Floyd
09-19-2011, 08:08 AM
It doesn't make it any better when your wife and daughter are Packers fans and the Packers are 2-0 and coming off of a SB win.

Zeus
09-19-2011, 08:28 AM
I deal. There are worse things in life than a football team losing.

=Z=

BloodyHorns82
09-19-2011, 09:54 AM
Losses are bothering me less and less. It's only entertainment and it's not worth letting it ruin your Sunday, Monday, Tuesday like it used to for me. This team isn't very good, plain and simple. I think they are a better team then they've showed, but it's all moot anyways because we're probably the worst team in the NFCN and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Keeping expectations in check helps me cope with loss.

Now, the NFCC losses...those I'll never get over.

5vikingsrule6
09-19-2011, 10:31 AM
I go on ppo and read all the reviews of the game. Every post I nod my head and agree with people. I get really pissed off. Yell really loud in my pillow. Maybe cry a little bit in the dark. Fsu lost against Oklahoma and Vikings crumbled again in the 2nd half.. I might be on suicide watch. Never talk about NFCC games around me I get sick to my stomach.

Also.

I yell and scream about how much we have potential on our team and we never live up to it.

midgensa
09-19-2011, 10:43 AM
It is very tough to cope with losses such as these. Both were games we very easily could have won ... and one was a game we absolutely SHOULD have won.
Games like yesterday's are very tough for me and put me in a different mood by far than I would be in if they won the game, but I don't let it bother me too much.
I had hopes that we could be a surprise team this season, but after yesterday I very seriously doubt it. I will "cope" by watching week in and week out and hopefully seeing a bunch of players that should be good for the next three to four years, and hopefully in that time we can fill in the other gaps.

Marrdro
09-19-2011, 11:19 AM
I come to purplepride
There is a Old Avatar that is nice to see.

I for one try not to post on PPO the night of the game. Usually to PO'd and don't want to say (type) something that will require an apology later.

I do get online and go to the boxscore and compare my my game notes with what that says (usually makes me madder), get another beer and turn on the next set of games.

Marrdro
09-19-2011, 11:21 AM
It doesn't make it any better when your wife and daughter are Packers fans and the Packers are 2-0 and coming off of a SB win.
Ouch.

I had several emails/calls from my PACTARD cheering relatives last night. BASTARDO's.

scone
09-19-2011, 11:21 AM
coping with loss....

Show your dissatisfaction with the product put forth in MN this/last year..... don't reward them with attendance...... I blame poor management

2beersTommy
09-19-2011, 11:43 AM
I just don't think it's the state's fault. I feel that the team has made a reasonable effort to stay. If they state screws with them, and they leave, do you fault the team, the state or both?
its a business..states lose companies all the time . what makes this any different? imho..NOTHING

folks act like its the end of the world that the team is losing & the possibility of moving..get over it, life goes on with or without the team!

2beersTommy
09-19-2011, 11:44 AM
I pout for a day or two... yell about how the team is pure shit, and then forget about it and start looking forward to the next week.

^^this^^ is how to approach the Vikings

El Vikingo
09-19-2011, 11:58 AM
I used to get angry back in the day, I always finished up arguing with my GF about stupid stuff,in our last argue she ended up venting the remote controller right to my head (with a very decent spiral I gotta recognize)

After that incident I stopped arguing anymore and started watching "La vita e bella" R.Benigni,every time this team dissapoints me,I gotta say I ve already watched the film 117 times and is a master piece.

El Vikingo
09-19-2011, 12:21 PM
when your wife and daughter are Packers fans and the Packers are 2-0 and coming off of a SB win.

Pretty sure she has made you improve in your 2 minutes drill,then.

BloodyHorns82
09-19-2011, 03:01 PM
I used to get angry back in the day, I always finished up arguing with my GF about stupid stuff,in our last argue she ended up venting the remote controller right to my head (with a very decent spiral I gotta recognize)

After that incident I stopped arguing anymore and started watching "La vita e bella" R.Benigni,every time this team dissapoints me,I gotta say I ve already watched the film 117 times and is a master piece.

I have no idea what this post says but I still love it. Glad to have you around El.