PDA

View Full Version : The unoficial "Bench Donny" thread.

battleaxe4cheese
09-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Hey fellas, just pondering the patience meter out there and I was wondering at which point in the season we pull Donny and let Ponder get his reps in? Two,three, four games, or never and just let the season "circle the drain".

I personally don't see the point of keeping him out there for more than four games if the mediocrity continues. I know there are other factors involved, receivers, tight ends getting open, fixing a horrible o line, etc...

At some point though he's going to have to make something happen to at least justify his playing time and sacrificing valuable experience for Christian. What say you?

kevoncox
09-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Hey fellas, just pondering the patience meter out there and I was wondering at which point in the season we pull Donny and let Ponder get his reps in? Two,three, four games, or never and just let the season "circle the drain".

I personally don't see the point of keeping him out there for more than four games if the mediocrity continues. I know there are other factors involved, receivers, tight ends getting open, fixing a horrible o line, etc...

At some point though he's going to have to make something happen to at least justify his playing time and sacrificing valuable experience for Christian. What say you?

So he should be benched because we had a 10 point lead against a team that had the #1 offense and # Defense last season? Did I mention they were healthy, we are missing our best Defensive Player, and just implemented a new head coach, offense, and OC.

Being a Vikings fan is hard sometimes. :mad:

NodakPaul
09-15-2011, 08:38 PM
The most popular player on a team is always the backup quarterback...

STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES
09-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Some people say the glass is half empty, while others look at it as always needing a refill.

Relax.

midgensa
09-15-2011, 09:06 PM
I personally would have no problem with benching him if this continues for 4 or 5 games, but I hardly think it is time to bench him now.

MulletMullitia
09-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Jesus Christ! We are starting to sound like Broncos fan. Stop it. Just stop it.

Purple Floyd
09-15-2011, 10:11 PM
Nobody wanted him here less than me but at this point he is going to be in there for a while.

singersp
09-15-2011, 10:11 PM
And so It begins!

singersp
09-15-2011, 10:15 PM
I know there are other factors involved, receivers, tight ends getting open, fixing a horrible o line, etc...

Those other factors you speak of........they'll still exist regardless of what QB starts.

MulletMullitia
09-15-2011, 11:15 PM
We need to give Ponder a year to learn the offense. Regardless of how well Donovan plays. And we need to get him a blindside protector in the next draft. With a stud LT and a year of the offense under his belt, Christian will have a much better chance of succeeding as our franchise QB.

i_bleed_purple
09-15-2011, 11:28 PM
Holy fucking shit are we really doing this already. I honestly thought we were better than that.

We're not dolphins or Broncos fans, so stop acting like it.

MulletMullitia
09-15-2011, 11:36 PM
Holy fucking shit are we really doing this already. I honestly thought we were better than that.

We're not dolphins or Broncos fans, so stop acting like it.

+ A million!

These Broncos fans are driving me crazy. I'm not a Kyle Orton fan, but Tim Tebow is garbage. And their fans sound retarded. I'm not comparing Ponder and Tebow, but we need to let the kid develop. Throwing him to the wolves with this O-Line would RUIN him! Let McNabb take the hits while Ponder learns the offense. IBP hit the nail on the head with this one. This stuff has to stop. We are better than that.

Traveling_Vike
09-16-2011, 01:39 AM
Sounds like everyone is pretty much in line on this, regardless of personal opinions of McNabb.

I'm there too. It is much too early to consider benching him after only one game.

But IMO replacing him with Ponder will depend a lot more on the kid than on the veteran. The team will need to decide whether he is actually ready to go. If not, and if McNabb gets benched, then I would expect us to see Webb in there before Ponder, unless it is late in the season and we're out of the mix.

Since I consider this season to be a "ride it out and work for next year" kind of thing, I'd prefer to stick with Donovan until and unless he proves he has nothing at all left to give us. That'll take at least a few weeks, AFAIC.

MulletMullitia
09-16-2011, 02:01 AM
I don't see any point in Webb getting reps at all. I am fine with him being a back-up after McNabb is off the roster. But for now, I want to see McNabb get all the reps, followed by Ponder. I would like Webb as an emergency only type player. And for Wildcat packages (when they are appropriate!).

Traveling_Vike
09-16-2011, 02:22 AM
I don't see any point in Webb getting reps at all. I am fine with him being a back-up after McNabb is off the roster. But for now, I want to see McNabb get all the reps, followed by Ponder. I would like Webb as an emergency only type player. And for Wildcat packages (when they are appropriate!).

I don't entirely disagree, but again, I think it depends more on Ponder and whether he is ready than it does on either McNabb or Webb.

If the team decides that he is good to go, then I am fine with putting him in, but if not, I'd prefer that he wait until our playoff hopes are gone. (Not that I have much hope anyway, but it's a math thing.)

singersp
09-16-2011, 07:34 AM
+ A million!

These Broncos fans are driving me crazy. I'm not a Kyle Orton fan, but Tim Tebow is garbage. And their fans sound retarded.

Tebow fans are going to be severely disappointed again. If & when they do decide to replace Orton, Quinn, not Tebow is 2nd on the depth chart & will be the starter.

singersp
09-16-2011, 07:35 AM
Sounds like everyone is pretty much in line on this, regardless of personal opinions of McNabb.

I'm there too. It is much too early to consider benching him after only one game.

Yup here on PP.O, two games into the season works for most.

Mark_The_Viking
09-16-2011, 07:36 AM
Some people say the glass is half empty, while others look at it as always needing a refill.

Relax.

And some say it's twice as large as it needs to be

Mark_The_Viking
09-16-2011, 07:41 AM
+ A million!

These Broncos fans are driving me crazy. I'm not a Kyle Orton fan, but Tim Tebow is garbage. And their fans sound retarded. I'm not comparing Ponder and Tebow, but we need to let the kid develop. Throwing him to the wolves with this O-Line would RUIN him! Let McNabb take the hits while Ponder learns the offense. IBP hit the nail on the head with this one. This stuff has to stop. We are better than that.

Why do you say that? How do you get the results he got by being garbage?

Purple Floyd
09-16-2011, 07:43 AM
We need to give Ponder a year to learn the offense. Regardless of how well Donovan plays. And we need to get him a blindside protector in the next draft. With a stud LT and a year of the offense under his belt, Christian will have a much better chance of succeeding as our franchise QB.

He knows the offense as far as much as he is going to from a textbook point of view. What he needs is the experience that comes from running it in actual games and seeing whether he can adjust to the speed and the adjustments he is going to face in a live game and he isn't getting that holding a clipboard.

Mark_The_Viking
09-16-2011, 07:44 AM
Would be crazy to go changing a QB after one game. Only question is at what point would you consider it if you were the head coach? Before your season is lost or after?

MulletMullitia
09-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Why do you say that? How do you get the results he got by being garbage?

He is 3rd on the depth chart behind Brady Quinn for Christ sakes! He is not, and will never be a successful NFL quarterback. He doesn't have the pro intangibles. This is like saying that Reggie Bush still has a chance to become an every down back in the NFL. It just won't happen. His college success is completely irrelevant. He was a college system quarterback. He couldn't even beat out a first round bust / journeyman back-up in Brady Quinn for the BACK-UP job. What makes you think he would be a better starter than Kyle Orton? I would honestly rather start Brady Quinn than Tim Tebow.

MulletMullitia
09-16-2011, 04:25 PM
He knows the offense as far as much as he is going to from a textbook point of view. What he needs is the experience that comes from running it in actual games and seeing whether he can adjust to the speed and the adjustments he is going to face in a live game and he isn't getting that holding a clipboard.

I disagree with this. He had a shortened offseason, and one game witnessing it from the sidelines in a real game experience. He still has a LOT to learn about the system.

BloodyHorns82
09-16-2011, 04:38 PM
Yeah I think putting Ponder in there right now would be disastrous. I'd rather see Webb get the nod if they decide to pull McNabb in a few weeks. Either way we're not going anywhere so why risk mentally f'ing Ponder? I don't think throwing him to the wolves before he's ready is going to help his career and based on little game action we saw from Ponder in preseason, the kid's just not ready. Not that that is reason for concern, he's still young, but doesn't look close to ready just yet.

Johnson14
09-16-2011, 04:47 PM
Yeah I think putting Ponder in there right now would be disastrous. I'd rather see Webb get the nod if they decide to pull McNabb in a few weeks. Either way we're not going anywhere so why risk mentally f'ing Ponder? I don't think throwing him to the wolves before he's ready is going to help his career and based on little game action we saw from Ponder in preseason, the kid's just not ready. Not that that is reason for concern, he's still young, but doesn't look close to ready just yet.

+1

Putting Ponder in now would be a disaster, IF DNabb were pulled (which i dont think will happen) then Webb should get a shot... i was actually surprised Ponder got the #2 job, he was pretty dang bad in pre season, kid needs time, least 2 yrs if he is ever going to be our "franchise" qb.

MulletMullitia
09-16-2011, 04:47 PM

Totally agree with this. Although I think we should stick with McNabb no matter what as long as he's healthy this season. My main concern with Ponder is his decision making. Which is crazy considering his great intelligence. For such a smart kid, he really makes some dumb decisions with the ball in his hands. He will definitely figure that out. But I don't agree with Floyd's hypothesis of "If he can ever play, he can play now".

Johnson14
09-16-2011, 04:50 PM
Totally agree with this. Although I think we should stick with McNabb no matter what as long as he's healthy this season. My main concern with Ponder is his decision making. Which is crazy considering his great intelligence. For such a smart kid, he really makes some dumb decisions with the ball in his hands. He will definitely figure that out. But I don't agree with Floyd's hypothesis of "If he can ever play, he can play now".

Agree, good post MM

Mark_The_Viking
09-17-2011, 04:28 PM
He is 3rd on the depth chart behind Brady Quinn for Christ sakes! He is not, and will never be a successful NFL quarterback. He doesn't have the pro intangibles. This is like saying that Reggie Bush still has a chance to become an every down back in the NFL. It just won't happen. His college success is completely irrelevant. He was a college system quarterback. He couldn't even beat out a first round bust / journeyman back-up in Brady Quinn for the BACK-UP job. What makes you think he would be a better starter than Kyle Orton? I would honestly rather start Brady Quinn than Tim Tebow.

First of all calm down for crying out loud. I was just asking a question!!

Surely all college QBs are schemed for college? He couldn't beat out a guy with more experience? then why was he drafted at all or are you saying that the Pro coaches in Denver don't have a clue? We dont get the sort of college football coverage you do and you could be right about him I don't know, You just seem particularly vitriolic about Tebow for some reason.

MulletMullitia
09-17-2011, 05:44 PM
First of all calm down for crying out loud. I was just asking a question!!

Surely all college QBs are schemed for college? He couldn't beat out a guy with more experience? then why was he drafted at all or are you saying that the Pro coaches in Denver don't have a clue? We dont get the sort of college football coverage you do and you could be right about him I don't know, You just seem particularly vitriolic about Tebow for some reason.

It's nothing personal against Tebow. I just think Broncos fans looks really stupid. And now some of the Vikings fans are following suit with McNabb. I don't want Vikings fans to start looking like Broncos fans.

Purple Floyd
09-17-2011, 06:18 PM
It's nothing personal against Tebow. I just think Broncos fans looks really stupid. And now some of the Vikings fans are following suit with McNabb. I don't want Vikings fans to start looking like Broncos fans.

Yeah, when I was all of 21 I saw things a lot differently too. Time has a way of changing your perspective..

Mark_The_Viking
09-17-2011, 06:19 PM
I totally agree with that. I suppose the question still stands though, if you were the head coach how long before you wrote the season and bench your starter and give your back up some playing time

MulletMullitia
09-17-2011, 06:40 PM
I totally agree with that. I suppose the question still stands though, if you were the head coach how long before you wrote the season and bench your starter and give your back up some playing time

Depends on who the back-up is. Here, there is no point in benching Donovan under any circumstance. Ponder needs a whole year to learn the offense before he gets thrown to the wolves. Hopefully behind a new stud LT from the draft.

Purple Floyd
09-17-2011, 07:38 PM
When do we play the wolves?
McChunky can probably have a chance of looking good against them.

MulletMullitia
09-17-2011, 07:55 PM

With this O-line? We play them every week.

singersp
09-17-2011, 07:59 PM
When is "The Official "Bench Donny" thread due to come out.

Purple Floyd
09-17-2011, 10:51 PM

week 4

Purple Floyd
09-17-2011, 10:52 PM
Timberwolves?

singersp
09-18-2011, 06:40 AM

Timberwolves?

LOL! I was left scratching my head too.

Purple Floyd
09-18-2011, 10:19 AM

:D

12purplepride28
09-18-2011, 12:17 PM
I hope the official one has two F's

Purple Floyd
09-18-2011, 04:27 PM

I disagree with this. He had a shortened offseason, and one game witnessing it from the sidelines in a real game experience. He still has a LOT to learn about the system.
You could probably say that about Newton but it seems even though they are also 0-2 he is doing pretty well and getting some valuable experience.

Purple Floyd
09-18-2011, 05:57 PM
Week 4

Jereamiah
09-18-2011, 06:13 PM
I'd be more interested in a "How many White Castle burgers does Mcfattski down tonight" thread. Ya know, Mctonnage could take a page from Cutlers playbook. That douch dropped 300 lbs and look at him now. With that haircut and svelt body, cutler is next up for the Lead role in 3 "Twilight" knock-off films produced by Showtime. The ones that show dry-humping. you know, those ones.

battleaxe4cheese
09-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Wow Donny looked mediocre at best today, More throws into the dirt, and bad accuracy. There's a reason Shannahan benched him last year and its starting to be obvious. There is no doubt he is one of the main reasons for our second half meltdowns. No question. This is going to be a long season.

skum
09-25-2011, 06:20 PM
As a caller said on KFAN:

Would rather have Ponder in there making rookie mistakes, than a veteran quarterback playing bad

Purple Floyd
09-25-2011, 06:33 PM
I am beginning to grow fond of McNabb. I think another 2-3 years and he will have it figured out.

battleaxe4cheese
09-25-2011, 06:39 PM
I am beginning to grow fond of McNabb. I think another 2-3 years and he will have it figured out.

lol

STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES
09-25-2011, 06:44 PM
As a caller said on KFAN:

Would rather have Ponder in there making rookie mistakes, than a veteran quarterback playing bad

It all comes down to which QB gives you the best chance to win. If McNabb is playing like he is, as we are barely losing, what does that say about how bad off we'd be with a rookie in there.

There is no doubt in my mind, Dmac gives us a better chance to win, and i just can't see how someone could argue otherwise.

Vikings decision makers made their beds, now they have to lay in them.

skum
09-25-2011, 06:58 PM
It all comes down to which QB gives you the best chance to win. If McNabb is playing like he is, as we are barely losing, what does that say about how bad off we'd be with a rookie in there.

There is no doubt in my mind, Dmac gives us a better chance to win, and i just can't see how someone could argue otherwise.

Vikings decision makers made their beds, now they have to lay in them.

McNabb isnt playing very well.. He is actually playing quite bad..

You can't say the rookie will automaticly be worse, just because he is a rookie.. Ponder was touted by many as NFL ready and a guy that could transition quickly to the NFL game because he was experienced and smart during his career at Florida State.

McNabb had several bad throws today and he should have settled the game on the throw towards Berrian that ended way out of bounds, he didn't. If Packers win today, both them and the Lions are 3 games ahead of us and time is running out if we have ambition to do something.

Im Ready for the switch right now but can see why he stays for now, but unless McNabb gives us something quick, he needs to sit real soon.

marshallvike
09-25-2011, 07:14 PM
McNabb isnt playing very well.. He is actually playing quite bad..

You can't say the rookie will automaticly be worse, just because he is a rookie.. Ponder was touted by many as NFL ready and a guy that could transition quickly to the NFL game because he was experienced and smart during his career at Florida State.

McNabb had several bad throws today and he should have settled the game on the throw towards Berrian that ended way out of bounds, he didn't. If Packers win today, both them and the Lions are 3 games ahead of us and time is running out if we have ambition to do something.

Im Ready for the switch right now but can see why he stays for now, but unless McNabb gives us something quick, he needs to sit real soon.

63-6 in the second half. Ponder can't save us. If he goes in we will all be blaming him. The coaches Frazier has put in place are not intelligent enough to win. Seasons done

Tad7
09-25-2011, 07:29 PM
There's nothing unrealistic about putting Ponder in since the season is already dead except that Frazier is all about positivity and will wanna sell a big turn around. Give it another 3 weeks.

I don't hate McNabb, I do think he gives a better chance of winning, but in a dead season, give the future some experience.