PDA

View Full Version : Vikings add veteran center Joe Berger

MulletMullitia
09-12-2011, 05:42 PM
http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/129662868.html

The Vikings waived third-year backup center Jon Cooper this afternoon, and announced the signing of six-year veteran center Joe Berger.

Berger started 14 games at center for the Miami Dolphins last year. Berger survived the Dolphins' final cut this year, but then was released when they added -- get this -- former Viking Ryan Cook.

Dolphins coach Tony Sparano said, at the time, he viewed Cook as an upgrade.

Berger might be one of the smarter players in the NFL. He graduated magna cum laude from Michigan Tech with an engineering degree.

MulletMullitia
09-12-2011, 05:45 PM
It really scares me that is says Tony Sparano views Cook as an upgrade to this guy. To me, that is the ultimate insult to an offensive lineman. However, I post on the big Dolphins board a little bit, and they said that they think we will like him over here. Not to mention that Tony Sparano has been very wrong when it comes to veteran lineman. I'm not overly optimistic about this move. But he can't be much worse than John Sullivan. Especially if he's just a depth guy. I refuse to believe that he is worse than Ryan Cook until I see it with my own eyes lol.

marshallvike
09-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Sucks for Coop. I hope Berger is an upgrade. good luck Jon.

MulletMullitia
09-12-2011, 05:55 PM
I just made a thread over at the Phins forum. Asking them their honest opinions on Berger. Since nobody here has probably seen him play very much. I joined over there to give them my opinions on Ryan Cook. Here's the link if you want to hear their input.

http://www.finheaven.com/forums/showthread.php?305028-Vikings-sign-Joe-Berger

MulletMullitia
09-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Dolphins fans are making me feel much better about the signing! Supposedly he is a great depth guy. Not a great starter, but can start if need be. He can also be a serviceable back-up at guard.

12purplepride28
09-13-2011, 12:20 AM
Dolphins fans are making me feel much better about the signing! Supposedly he is a great depth guy. Not a great starter, but can start if need be. He can also be a serviceable back-up at guard.

Isn't that what they thought about Cook too?

MulletMullitia
09-13-2011, 01:31 AM
Isn't that what they thought about Cook too?

In their defense, they didn't know anything about Cook. Just what the homer Vikes beat writers said about him (Versatility, etc...). I schooled them about him though lol. They know now :) And none of them have any faith in Sparano's ability to put together a good O-line.

Purple Floyd
09-13-2011, 10:08 AM
Good lord please tell me this is just a joke

tastywaves
09-13-2011, 10:31 AM
One man's trash is another man's treasure I guess.

I've never been a big garage sale guy myself, but hey my sister finds gems at these places.

Johnson14
09-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Sad for Coop's as he is a good guy, have talked to him a fair bit on Twitter (he follows me!), so sad to see him waived.

Marrdro
09-16-2011, 12:24 PM
LOL, this really cracked me up when I heard about it. Nothing against this cat cause I don't know nothing about him, however, maybe the staffs plan is to just have an OL of Centers......:)

tastywaves
09-16-2011, 12:30 PM
LOL, this really cracked me up when I heard about it. Nothing against this cat cause I don't know nothing about him, however, maybe the staffs plan is to just have an OL of Centers......:)

Every year it seems we like to overload on a position. This must be the year of the center.

Clearly indicating that the coaching staff has no faith in this postion.

MulletMullitia
09-16-2011, 03:10 PM

And we got rid of Ryan Cook, whose only serviceable position (if you can call it that) was center lol. But all of the centers on our line can play guard too. I think that's the strategy. From what I've read, Berger is a finesse guy. So he will be great depth, but he gets eaten alive by huge nose tackles.

midgensa
09-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Maybe a change of scenery will be good for him.

Making changes on our oline cant hurt anything really ... so maybe this will help.

MulletMullitia
09-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Maybe a change of scenery will be good for him.

Making changes on our oline cant hurt anything really ... so maybe this will help.

I talked to Dolphins fans and they had nothing but good things to say about the guy. Very smart, and quality depth. I like the signing. I bet we will see him get a few reps this sunday.

Johnson14
09-16-2011, 04:11 PM
I like Sully, but he is an undersized center and can get pushed around.

MulletMullitia
09-16-2011, 04:15 PM

As a ND fan, I have always had a biased opinion on him. He is improving, but he is still a below-average center. At least we haven't seen any snaps over McNabb's head yet!

Marrdro
09-19-2011, 01:17 PM
He didn't get pushed around (actually got blew up 3 times I saw when he was one on one) in his matchups yesterday. Most of the blocking was still a ZBing effort where he had help from the G that wasn't pulling.

Truth of the matter, without watching the reair, I'm gonna say we ran alot of ZB'ing yesterday but I did see him pull twice and believe the time he stepped on Dnabbs foot, he was pulling as well.

Marrdro
09-19-2011, 01:20 PM
And we got rid of Ryan Cook, whose only serviceable position (if you can call it that) was center lol. But all of the centers on our line can play guard too. I think that's the strategy. From what I've read, Berger is a finesse guy. So he will be great depth, but he gets eaten alive by huge nose tackles.
How quickly you forget when Cook stepped in at G, not only for Hutch, but Herrera as well since he was relegated to backup duties.

Heck I remember one game in 2009, when he went in for Hutch, people actually called me a liar when I said he was in there for Hutch as they couldn't tell the difference.

Again, Cook wasn't that great but he was far from the crap you say he was and I don't think this guy is going to do anything better than Cook, just cause some fans on a fan site say they like him.