PDA

View Full Version : McNabb a major disappointment in Vikings debut

Purple Floyd
09-11-2011, 07:43 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/11/mcnabb-a-major-disappointment-in-vikings-debut/

McNabb deserves most of the blame for the Vikings’ 24-17 loss to the Chargers. His first pass as a Viking was intercepted, a turnover that set up the Chargers’ first touchdown, and he didn’t get much better after that. McNabb finished the game completing 7-of-16 passes for a whopping 39 passing yards.

(http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/11/mcnabb-a-major-disappointment-in-vikings-debut/)Yes, 39 passing yards. For an entire game.
(http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/11/mcnabb-a-major-disappointment-in-vikings-debut/)

39 Friggin yards. And there are people saying Ponder isn't ready? He could have gotten at least 40.

Freya
09-11-2011, 08:00 PM
MOST of the blame??!............hardly. Who was calling the plays? Where was the OLine?
Cherry picked game facts........SUCK.

MulletMullitia
09-11-2011, 08:02 PM
MOST of the blame??!............hardly. Who was calling the plays? Where was the OLine?

+ A Million

It was obvious that they didn't watch the game. Jesus Christ. How are Musgrave and the O-Line avoiding blame on this disaster?

Marrdro
09-11-2011, 08:42 PM
A mans worst nightmare, a Chick that knows what she is talking about when it comes to football.

I will say, however, that I don't put as much blame on the Ol as you might be. Protection was there in the first half and AD was getting nice yards when he was allowed to work at it some.

Nope, this one goes on the shoulders of Musgrove in my book. (Winking Emoticon)

marshallvike
09-11-2011, 09:29 PM
A mans worst nightmare, a Chick that knows what she is talking about when it comes to football.

I will say, however, that I don't put as much blame on the Ol as you might be. Protection was there in the first half and AD was getting nice yards when he was allowed to work at it some.

Nope, this one goes on the shoulders of Musgrove in my book. (Winking Emoticon)

Ahh but SD made adjustments at the half to give them the ability to pressure DNabb almost the entire second half,(which really was only a handful of passing plays). Our staff did not seem to pick up on what they were doing.
By the way, I imagine you were charting the plays. How did they change their attack on us?
Musgrave deserves the blame for this, but the OLine did not help us. Tough to blame DNabb, even though I would like to.

Purple Floyd
09-11-2011, 09:46 PM
The worst thing that happened to the team was probably us inflating our hopes after the opening kickoff. That helped make us look more competitive than we really were and the second half just was an indication of where the team really is.

It will be demonstrated through the season that Frazier and co. were left with a fairly empty cupboard and they are going to struggle to compete all season. After watching the rest of the division play and beat quality teams I have little doubt that my prediction of finishing the season in the cellar was the right call.

We do not have the talent and the new staff did not have the time to put in any complicated strategies and even if they could the QB is not capable of pulling them off.

BTW- Notice how everyone said it was the team and not McChunky who held the Skins back last year and yet Rex came out and had 300+ yards 2 td's and no INT's today. No way they have that kind of game if DM was still there.

Purple Floyd
09-11-2011, 09:48 PM
+ A Million

It was obvious that they didn't watch the game. Jesus Christ. How are Musgrave and the O-Line avoiding blame on this disaster?

So did Musgrave throw that INT on the first offensive play of the game for the Vikes? Hell no. In fact they stated it was actually called a run and McYouknowwhat changed it to a pass at the line. That was all on DM.

i_bleed_purple
09-11-2011, 10:00 PM
So did Musgrave throw that INT on the first offensive play of the game for the Vikes? Hell no. In fact they stated it was actually called a run and McYouknowwhat changed it to a pass at the line. That was all on DM.

Was it McNabb who was calling dumb plays and was it McNabb who couldn't block a four year old?

MulletMullitia
09-11-2011, 10:28 PM

Passes get batted down all the time at the line. Kevin Williams is the master of that. I'm not going to call that a bad throw. It was an incredibly athletic move by the linebacker. Not only did he bat the pass, but he also dove backwards and still caught it. It was a freak move, and a great play by Cooper. It's not like McNabb threw it into double coverage. The LB got a piece, and made a ridiculous play for the INT. All the power to him. One of the best plays of the game on either side. How many bad passes did you see Donovan make today? He threw it away a lot, made good decisions, and extended some drives with great escapes. The man is not a miracle worker. He is a game manager, not a game changer. Nobody here ever claimed that he was the long-term answer. He is a smart veteran who can keep us in games, on the shoulders of an awesome running attack. If we utilized the play-action, he would be totally fine. If we try to put our whole team on his back (like Mike Shanahan did), we will fail miserably.

Purple Floyd
09-11-2011, 10:39 PM
Passes get batted down all the time at the line. Kevin Williams is the master of that. I'm not going to call that a bad throw. It was an incredibly athletic move by the linebacker. Not only did he bat the pass, but he also dove backwards and still caught it. It was a freak move, and a great play by Cooper. It's not like McNabb threw it into double coverage. The LB got a piece, and made a ridiculous play for the INT. All the power to him. One of the best plays of the game on either side. How many bad passes did you see Donovan make today? He threw it away a lot, made good decisions, and extended some drives with great escapes. The man is not a miracle worker. He is a game manager, not a game changer. Nobody here ever claimed that he was the long-term answer. He is a smart veteran who can keep us in games, on the shoulders of an awesome running attack. If we utilized the play-action, he would be totally fine. If we try to put our whole team on his back (like Mike Shanahan did), we will fail miserably.

Maybe we should have gotten Grossman then because he took the skins on his back and won the game. 300+ 2 td's 0 Int's. That is a bit higher than the 39 passing yards we got from McChunky.

I mean seriously- 39 YARDS!!!!!!!! Think about that for a second. Has any other old washed up QB we have ever brought in been this completely futile? I bet it was a record low for passing in a game.

MulletMullitia
09-11-2011, 10:50 PM
Maybe we should have gotten Grossman then because he took the skins on his back and won the game. 300+ 2 td's 0 Int's. That is a bit higher than the 39 passing yards we got from McChunky.

I mean seriously- 39 YARDS!!!!!!!! Think about that for a second. Has any other old washed up QB we have ever brought in been this completely futile? I bet it was a record low for passing in a game.

Not even Tony Romo (with the quickest release in the NFL) could have had more than 100 passing yards behind this line today. Not with these receivers and those play calls. He was not the problem. It's not like he was making horrible decisions and throwing into coverage. His only off-target pass was to Berrian when he got absolutely crushed off the edge. Which Berrian still should have caught by the way. How many QBs can throw passes without any bat-downs? Zero. He had one and the LB made an awesome move. How many other guys make that catch while completely diving backwards? He made a move and deserved the INT. McNabb is not our answer at quarterback. I never said he was. He will work for what we need, but he's not the long-term answer. But no QB could have survived in those circumstances today. Not even the best in the game. If you are right about our record, maybe we can get lucky and get Matt Kalil in the draft. We need to draft a tackle in the first round of the next draft. It's not a "fun" pick. But it needs to be done. Any QB would be killed behind our joke of a line.

thorshammer
09-11-2011, 10:53 PM
i can't believe everyone being so negative. this was a close game that most thought we'd get blown out in. o line sucked end of story. they will get it fixed. it wasn't mcnabb's fault period. one lapse by the d (lb corps) cost us the game.

gabe_menendez
09-12-2011, 12:20 AM
So did Musgrave throw that INT on the first offensive play of the game for the Vikes? Hell no. In fact they stated it was actually called a run and McYouknowwhat changed it to a pass at the line. That was all on DM. Are you serious?? yeah the stat went under him as int. But dude come on, it was a WR screen. Phillips was aware and made a nice play. There were 8 men in the box, you act like no one was around... It was horrible play calling, you cant expect McNabb to only throw on third down. I know he didn't just throw on that but it seemed like every time he was stuck on 3rd down because the run or blazer package didn't work.

gabe_menendez
09-12-2011, 12:25 AM

I mean seriously- 39 YARDS!!!!!!!! Think about that for a second. Has any other old washed up QB we have ever brought in been this completely futile? I bet it was a record low for passing in a game. Go watch the freaking redskins then dude. He had no time bro. You act like we were playing the browns or something. This team makes the playoff every year (except last year). How can you compare grossman to mcNabb? Mcnabb has a 2td to 1 int ratio. Im not ready to write him off just yet. Like dude what game were you watching? Do you understand football? http://www.dummies.com/store/product/Football-For-Dummies-USA-Edition-3rd-Edition.productCd-0470125365.html dude that site might help you.. Im not sure though. You might be a lost cause.

gregair13
09-12-2011, 01:09 AM
His first pass sure was a good one.

skum
09-12-2011, 06:56 AM
Just look at the drive chart and see how horrible this game was http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/boxscore?gid=20110911024&page=drives

We only had 1 drive of over 6 plays. and 2 drives of over 20 yards.

Purple Floyd
09-12-2011, 07:41 AM
Go watch the freaking redskins then dude. He had no time bro. You act like we were playing the browns or something. This team makes the playoff every year (except last year). How can you compare grossman to mcNabb? Mcnabb has a 2td to 1 int ratio. Im not ready to write him off just yet. Like dude what game were you watching? Do you understand football? http://www.dummies.com/store/product/Football-For-Dummies-USA-Edition-3rd-Edition.productCd-0470125365.html dude that site might help you.. Im not sure though. You might be a lost cause.

Sorry reading it hurt your butt. I'll post a picture of some flowers next time.

Purple Floyd
09-12-2011, 07:44 AM
Are you serious?? yeah the stat went under him as int. But dude come on, it was a WR screen. Phillips was aware and made a nice play. There were 8 men in the box, you act like no one was around... It was horrible play calling, you cant expect McNabb to only throw on third down. I know he didn't just throw on that but it seemed like every time he was stuck on 3rd down because the run or blazer package didn't work.

Hey genius- what part of the QB changing the play at the line didn't you understand? HTH do you blame the coach for the QB not comprehending the extra men in the box and playing right into their strength? But whatever, have fun watching a failure this season and I hope you stay on his bandwagon all year.

Formo
09-12-2011, 11:52 AM
His only off-target pass was to Berrian when he got absolutely crushed off the edge. Which Berrian still should have caught by the way.

Really? BB should have caught that ball? Even when the CB got his hand on it? It would have been a GREAT catch if Berrian caught the thing, but I wouldn't chalk that incomplete on BB either. That was some decent defense on SD's part (pressure and CB making a play on the ball).

gabe_menendez
09-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Hey genius- what part of the QB changing the play at the line didn't you understand? HTH do you blame the coach for the QB not comprehending the extra men in the box and playing right into their strength? But whatever, have fun watching a failure this season and I hope you stay on his bandwagon all year. I dont blame the coach for that play at all. I know Donovan Audibled out of it. But come on dude you act like he threw 5 interception. Philips made a big play and jumped to batt it down. Thats what d line and linebackers do. Like bro come on, Im not the only one getting on your comments. Take a look in the mirror, you are the one that does not know much about football. I'm not saying next week but I believe week three Donavon will have over 200 yards passing. Cant wait to post on here to bro and say "What about Donavon now purple Floyd" hahaha I still cant believe you compared Donovan to Rex Grossman, get real bro.

Marrdro
09-12-2011, 01:56 PM
Ahh but SD made adjustments at the half to give them the ability to pressure DNabb almost the entire second half,(which really was only a handful of passing plays). Our staff did not seem to pick up on what they were doing.
By the way, I imagine you were charting the plays. How did they change their attack on us?
Musgrave deserves the blame for this, but the OLine did not help us. Tough to blame DNabb, even though I would like to.
I quit trying to chart the game. To tell the truth, I wasn't quite ready for some of the sets he was running out there.

For instance.....,

PH in the backfield with 3 TE's. Is that a 13 or a 03? How do you count Percy? Emailing Kirwan today.

TE in the backfield that then motions out to the line with AD in the backfield and 2 other TE's. Is that a 22 set or a 13 set?

Long story short, I made my package call as they go to the line. Alot of the misdirection/motions really had me screwed up after a few brews so I gave up.

As to the discussion point on adjustments. I didn't really see the Chargers change much of anything they did on either defense or offense other than Rivers finally relized that we were going to give him the short zones if he was patient enough to take them.

Only time I really thought he deviated from that was the series/drive were Whinny got the INT. They were clearly going deep on us that time, especially to Cooks side.

Once they crossed the 50, they went deep 4 times, including the INT. On all 4 occasions he did hold the ball a bit longer than he had and the result showed as he they did get to him.

Marrdro
09-12-2011, 01:58 PM
The worst thing that happened to the team was probably us inflating our hopes after the opening kickoff. That helped make us look more competitive than we really were and the second half just was an indication of where the team really is.

It will be demonstrated through the season that Frazier and co. were left with a fairly empty cupboard and they are going to struggle to compete all season. After watching the rest of the division play and beat quality teams I have little doubt that my prediction of finishing the season in the cellar was the right call.

We do not have the talent and the new staff did not have the time to put in any complicated strategies and even if they could the QB is not capable of pulling them off.

BTW- Notice how everyone said it was the team and not McChunky who held the Skins back last year and yet Rex came out and had 300+ yards 2 td's and no INT's today. No way they have that kind of game if DM was still there.
Hmmmm, I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of the Deadskins offense last year vs this years offense.

Marrdro
09-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Was it McNabb who was calling dumb plays and was it McNabb who couldn't block a four year old?
Are you saying that INT was on our LT instead of the QB?

Go back and watch the tape, our LT didn't even have time to engage the DE. He takes his normal set and the DE doesn't even engage. He drops back a step.

That INT, like it or not, was all on Dnabb for making a bad read. He read the defense in a "Stop the run look" when in fact they were in a "Stop the pass" play. Again, the DE dropping into coverage instead of sealing the edge against AD is a clear indicator.

Two people screwed the pooch on this one......QB and Center for not making the correct presnap read.

Marrdro
09-12-2011, 02:10 PM
Not even Tony Romo (with the quickest release in the NFL) could have had more than 100 passing yards behind this line today. Not with these receivers and those play calls. He was not the problem. It's not like he was making horrible decisions and throwing into coverage. His only off-target pass was to Berrian when he got absolutely crushed off the edge. Which Berrian still should have caught by the way. How many QBs can throw passes without any bat-downs? Zero. He had one and the LB made an awesome move. How many other guys make that catch while completely diving backwards? He made a move and deserved the INT. McNabb is not our answer at quarterback. I never said he was. He will work for what we need, but he's not the long-term answer. But no QB could have survived in those circumstances today. Not even the best in the game. If you are right about our record, maybe we can get lucky and get Matt Kalil in the draft. We need to draft a tackle in the first round of the next draft. It's not a "fun" pick. But it needs to be done. Any QB would be killed behind our joke of a line.
Still on the OL I see.

Even on the plays were he scrambled, he had time to make the throw he was asked to make. Problem was that all the passes were the short ones that played right into what the defense was doing.

As I pointed out to Singer, all of his throws but one were short and with the player sets that were out there, one would not think that the play was designed to go deep in any way or fashion.

When it came to the running game, AD for the most part had lanes to get 3, 4 or 5 yards a carry but in alot of instances he elected to cutback away from the short gains in an attempt to break the long one. Can't fault him for that as thats his game, but you also can't lay all the blame on the OL feet either.

Nope, I'm still saying this one is on Musgrove. That game plan did nothing to expose/take advantage of the Chargers weaknesses. Absolutely nothing.

I will say it was interesting to watch all those shifts and weird play sets though.

Marrdro
09-12-2011, 02:13 PM
Really? BB should have caught that ball? Even when the CB got his hand on it? It would have been a GREAT catch if Berrian caught the thing, but I wouldn't chalk that incomplete on BB either. That was some decent defense on SD's part (pressure and CB making a play on the ball).
Nice try my friend, but you know on here that if it is even close to the reciever he should catch it.

Purple Floyd
09-12-2011, 02:18 PM
I dont blame the coach for that play at all. I know Donovan Audibled out of it. But come on dude you act like he threw 5 interception. Philips made a big play and jumped to batt it down. Thats what d line and linebackers do. Like bro come on, Im not the only one getting on your comments. Take a look in the mirror, you are the one that does not know much about football. I'm not saying next week but I believe week three Donavon will have over 200 yards passing. Cant wait to post on here to bro and say "What about Donavon now purple Floyd" hahaha I still cant believe you compared Donovan to Rex Grossman, get real bro.

Hey

I'll be here all year just like I was here through the whole chilly/tj Kao fiasco and I was right then just like I am now. Just make sure you are here week 5 and we can have a rehash of this exchange. I guarantee if he gets his sh!t together I will be the first to admit it but until he does he is just the latest retread wasting my time.

And right now dm is not even in the league of Rex

Make sure you stick around and fill me in with your superior football acumen every week

Marrdro
09-12-2011, 02:21 PM
Hey

I'll be here all year just like I was here through the whole chilly/tj Kao fiasco and I was right then just like I am now. Just make sure you are here week 5 and we can have a rehash of this exchange. I guarantee if he gets his sh!t together I will be the first to admit it but until he does he is just the latest retread wasting my time.

Make sure you stick around and fill me in with your superior football acumen every week
...snicker......This is fun.

So far your doing pretty good. ;)

Purple Floyd
09-12-2011, 02:39 PM
The whole reason people got all slobbered up over McChunky was that he was supposed to be the bet that would win games for us because of his experience and because he went to pro bowls and super bowls with no name wrs and ols and he would do the same here. Well my friends this was one of those games and he didn't do squat. Of this is what he is we could have gone with Webb or ponder and I am pretty sure we could have gotten 40 passing yards from either and spent the money we gave dm on a better o l or s s

Marrdro
09-12-2011, 02:45 PM
The whole reason people got all slobbered up over McChunky was that he was supposed to be the bet that would win games for us because of his experience and because he went to pro bowls and super bowls with no name wrs and ols and he would do the same here. Well my friends this was one of those games and he didn't do squat. Of this is what he is we could have gone with Webb or ponder and I am pretty sure we could have gotten 40 passing yards from either and spent the money we gave dm on a better o l or s s
The same could be said about our new HC and is new O-coord.

Very little is being said about how "Ready" (Marrdro waits for Singer to jump in) this team was to play this game.

Again, its easy to say the QB should have audibled out of a play or two and made something great happen, but when you are limited by player sets/packages, its pretty hard to audible out of a running play into a couple of deep oustide goes when you don't have the recievers on the field.

Lets not forget a set that starts with a QB, LT, LG, C, RG, RT, TE, TE, TE, RB doesn't lead to to many options on the outside.

kevoncox
09-12-2011, 02:48 PM
Are you saying that INT was on our LT instead of the QB?

Go back and watch the tape, our LT didn't even have time to engage the DE. He takes his normal set and the DE doesn't even engage. He drops back a step.

That INT, like it or not, was all on Dnabb for making a bad read. He read the defense in a "Stop the run look" when in fact they were in a "Stop the pass" play. Again, the DE dropping into coverage instead of sealing the edge against AD is a clear indicator.

Two people screwed the pooch on this one......QB and Center for not making the correct presnap read.

Actually Marr. I believe the DE/ OLD read screen, and did what he was suppose to do. I don't think that it was designed that way.

Marrdro
09-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Actually Marr. I believe the DE/ OLD read screen, and did what he was suppose to do. I don't think that it was designed that way.
I think that is what I'm trying to say. In a play like that it is impossible for the LT to engage the DE cause he just doesn't get close enough.

Mix in the goof ups (blame whomever, I blame the QB and C) for making an audible that everyone knew was going to come, and there is no way you can hack on the LT for that INT.

Formo
09-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Nice try my friend, but you know on here that if it is even close to the reciever he should catch it.

I normally would be on him about that.. I've gotten into it with many people here on how if an NFL WR gets his hands on the ball, it should be a reception. Period.

But until I see a replay of that play, I saw the DB knock the ball away. NOT BB's rock hands.

Formo
09-12-2011, 04:00 PM

att com % att/G yards avg yds/G TD TD% INT INT%
Rex 1,138 619 54.4 27.1 7,386 6.5 175.9 42 3.7 40 3.5
McN 5,233 3,083 58.9 32.3 36,289 6.9 224.0 231 4.4 116 2.2

Yup. Donovan isn't even CLOST to Rex's league.

Oh, you're talking about THIS year?! Hmm.. Weird. Didn't we come off a basically non-existent offseason? With a completely new coaching staff, offensive scheme, new QBs, etc etc??

Yup, time to mash the panic button, that's for sure.

:rolleyes:

jessejames09
09-12-2011, 06:03 PM
Les and Bill need to get their heads out of their asses asap. This is the NFL, you need to have a passing game to win.

Imo we started losing momentum before the end of the first half, and we didn't have the balls to even try to get it back. It was run run pass punt repeat for the whole second half. I was looking for Childress on the sidelines...McNabb threw 15 passes in the whole game, and it was pretty obvious we were going to need to score again.

I really hope this was just a case of everyone needing a fire lit under their asses, and that game did it. I don't know if I can handle another year of our forward passing meltdown.

Freya
09-12-2011, 09:23 PM
I think that is what I'm trying to say. In a play like that it is impossible for the LT to engage the DE cause he just doesn't get close enough.

Mix in the goof ups (blame whomever, I blame the QB and C) for making an audible that everyone knew was going to come, and there is no way you can hack on the LT for that INT.

That wasn't an audible. More likely an option. And based on the crowd in the box it made better sense to pass rather than run. Things simply didn't work out and the blame must be leveled against many players not just those who touched the ball. For starters........the ENTIRE OLine, because on an option, their assignments don't change.

Purple Floyd
09-12-2011, 10:01 PM
att com % att/G yards avg yds/G TD TD% INT INT%
Rex 1,138 619 54.4 27.1 7,386 6.5 175.9 42 3.7 40 3.5
McN 5,233 3,083 58.9 32.3 36,289 6.9 224.0 231 4.4 116 2.2

Yup. Donovan isn't even CLOST to Rex's league.

Oh, you're talking about THIS year?! Hmm.. Weird. Didn't we come off a basically non-existent offseason? With a completely new coaching staff, offensive scheme, new QBs, etc etc??

Yup, time to mash the panic button, that's for sure.

:rolleyes:

This year and last I guess. Not for their whole career. Obviously McNugget had some good years in there but those days are behind him now just like Brett's best days were behind him last year and basically every washed up QB we get also have their best days behind them. Hopefully that clears things up a bit.

Zeus
09-12-2011, 10:03 PM
This year and last I guess. Not for their whole career. Obviously McNugget had some good years in there but those days are behind him now just like Brett's best days were behind him last year and basically every washed up QB we get also have their best days behind them. Hopefully that clears things up a bit.

Keep playing him and the Vikes will end up with either Andrew Luck (who, IMHO, can start from Game 1) or the LT of the future.

=Z=

Purple Floyd
09-12-2011, 10:06 PM
Hmmmm, I'd be interested in seeing a comparison of the Deadskins offense last year vs this years offense.

It's not hard to google it. In fact I believe there is a spreadsheet that charts it all out.:p

Purple Floyd
09-12-2011, 10:10 PM
That wasn't an audible. More likely an option. And based on the crowd in the box it made better sense to pass rather than run. Things simply didn't work out and the blame must be leveled against many players not just those who touched the ball. For starters........the ENTIRE OLine, because on an option, their assignments don't change.

If you are talking about the opening play that was INT'ed Frazier plainly said in his press conference that it was called as a run and McNabb audibled out of it and into the pass.

MulletMullitia
09-12-2011, 10:14 PM

Well McNabb and Favre were both Pro-Bowlers in 2009. Only 2 seasons ago. And Favre had one of the best years of his entire career in 09 with us. You can't call our Favre experiment a failed one. The second year was bad, but we all had to know that he didn't have anything left. I'm not mad about it. Like I've said a million times, I don't think McNabb is the answer. But he was our best option for a "win now" type mentality.

Purple Floyd
09-12-2011, 10:21 PM
Well McNabb and Favre were both Pro-Bowlers in 2009. Only 2 seasons ago. And Favre had one of the best years of his entire career in 09 with us. You can't call our Favre experiment a failed one. The second year was bad, but we all had to know that he didn't have anything left. I'm not mad about it. Like I've said a million times, I don't think McNabb is the answer. But he was our best option for a "win now" type mentality.

But as it should be blatently obvious he hasn't led to winning now MM. He did nothing to elevate his play or the play of the guys around him. At least in 09 Brett did do that.

But just because we were able to extract one more year out of the backfat of Farve, that does not mean lightning is going to strike twice with McNabb and that is my whole point. Just get on with building the team with youth and we would be a stronger team by the end of the year and more prepared for next year.

Quick question- How many wins do you believe he is going to be able to pull off for us against the Bears, Lions and Packers that we wouldn't win with Ponder/Webb?

I have it at 0

MulletMullitia
09-12-2011, 10:24 PM
But as it should be blatently obvious he hasn't led to winning now MM. He did nothing to elevate his play or the play of the guys around him. At least in 09 Brett did do that.

But just because we were able to extract one more year out of the backfat of Farve, that does not mean lightning is going to strike twice with McNabb and that is my whole point. Just get on with building the team with youth and we would be a stronger team by the end of the year and more prepared for next year.

Quick question- How many wins do you believe he is going to be able to pull off for us against the Bears, Lions and Packers that we wouldn't win with Ponder/Webb?

I have it at 0

Now that we have AP locked up for life, I am totally fine with hopping on the rebuilding bandwagon. No matter how well McNabb does. I was afraid we we're gonna lose him if we started rebuilding too early.

i_bleed_purple
09-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Now that we have AP locked up for life, I am totally fine with hopping on the rebuilding bandwagon. No matter how well McNabb does. I was afraid we we're gonna lose him if we started rebuilding too early.

Makes no sense. AP probably has another 3 years left as an ELITE RB. we need to BUILD, not REbuild. If we start firesaling, trading for picks and restarting, by the time we're ready to make a push AP might not be the back he is now anymore.

Purple Floyd
09-12-2011, 10:27 PM

By the time the rebuilding is done he will be over the hill. We are at the front end of a 4-5 year process.

But hey, nice way to dodge the question lol.

How many wins do we need to get in the playoffs in this division?

Purple Floyd
09-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Makes no sense. AP probably has another 3 years left as an ELITE RB. we need to BUILD, not REbuild. If we start firesaling, trading for picks and restarting, by the time we're ready to make a push AP might not be the back he is now anymore.

I would agree but we don't have the cap space or the dollars to reload and the guys we have aren't going to just magically become something they aren't.

Wilf screwed the pooch with Childress and like it or not AP fumbled away his chance at a SB ring. If he wants to win one at the top of his game he should have just went to another team.

MulletMullitia
09-12-2011, 10:30 PM
By the time the rebuilding is done he will be over the hill. We are at the front end of a 4-5 year process.

But hey, nice way to dodge the question lol.

How many wins do we need to get in the playoffs in this division?

At least 9 wins. Not gonna happen.

i_bleed_purple
09-12-2011, 10:31 PM
I would agree but we don't have the cap space or the dollars to reload and the guys we have aren't going to just magically become something they aren't.

Wilf screwed the pooch with Childress and like it or not AP fumbled away his chance at a SB ring. If he wants to win one at the top of his game he should have just went to another team.

Can't really disagree there.

We need to draft REALLY well this season.

Lock up a LT, Ponder needs to be an absolute stud, get a couple FA guards who can play effectively, a DT, MLB, WR and playmaking safety.

Having said that, I wonder what our cap situation looks like after adjusting AP and Greenways contracts.

MulletMullitia
09-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Can't really disagree there.

We need to draft REALLY well this season.

Lock up a LT, Ponder needs to be an absolute stud, get a couple FA guards who can play effectively, a DT, MLB, WR and playmaking safety.

Having said that, I wonder what our cap situation looks like after adjusting AP and Greenways contracts.

This season we have a couple million to play around with. Maybe 3 million. But next year, we are gonna be tight. Depends on how much it costs us to extend EJ.

i_bleed_purple
09-12-2011, 10:35 PM
This season we have a couple million to play around with. Maybe 3 million. But next year, we are gonna be tight. Depends on how much it costs us to extend EJ.

Going out on a limb here, but I 'm not sure we do extend EJ.

I haven't heard a word about him, he's getting old, coming off a brutal injury which will likely shorten his career already. If anything, he takes a pay cut to stay.

He doesn't exactly fit into the Cover-2 either.

MulletMullitia
09-12-2011, 10:37 PM
Going out on a limb here, but I 'm not sure we do extend EJ.

I haven't heard a word about him, he's getting old, coming off a brutal injury which will likely shorten his career already. If anything, he takes a pay cut to stay.

He doesn't exactly fit into the Cover-2 either.

He's a very hardworking guy and Singletary loves him. Not to mention that he is the captain of our defense. We will extend him, but he will definitely have to take a pay cut.

i_bleed_purple
09-12-2011, 10:38 PM
He's a very hardworking guy and Singletary loves him. Not to mention that he is the captain of our defense. We will extend him, but he will definitely have to take a pay cut.

Depends on what they want to do. Yeah, he's a great guy to have on the team, but there comes a time when you have to decide whether or not to keep a guy.

Ej still plays at a high level, but we'll see what he's got this year. If he starts slipping or slowing down, I see him being replaced. Again, he doesn't fit what we do on defense, we've kept him this long mainly because he IS a great guy to have on a team.

Zeus
09-12-2011, 10:41 PM

Depends on what they want to do. Yeah, he's a great guy to have on the team, but there comes a time when you have to decide whether or not to keep a guy.

Ej still plays at a high level, but we'll see what he's got this year. If he starts slipping or slowing down, I see him being replaced. Again, he doesn't fit what we do on defense, we've kept him this long mainly because he IS a great guy to have on a team.

Larry Dean, baby!

=Z=

Purple Floyd
09-12-2011, 10:46 PM

I agree. And Greenway is the new leader of the defense with the contract they gave him. I am really not that sold on EJ being MLB for too much longer either.

12purplepride28
09-12-2011, 10:47 PM
If you are talking about the opening play that was INT'ed Frazier plainly said in his press conference that it was called as a run and McNabb audibled out of it and into the pass.

He said that that play was something they talked about, they saw on tape that they give cushion a lot, and they could expose it with a screen, and if the box was loaded they would change to a screen pass. It was the right call, just bad luck and excellent defensive play. Whatevs.

Zeus
09-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Hey, IBP - can you get Andrew Luck jerseys yet?

=Z=

i_bleed_purple
09-12-2011, 11:20 PM
Should be only a matter of about 11 months

MulletMullitia
09-13-2011, 02:43 AM
Jasper would have the chance before we brought in a free agent or something. But I still think we lock up EJ for a couple years at least. Maybe 3 years.

jmcdon00
09-13-2011, 11:50 AM
optimistic spin:
McNabb can only get better from here.
Last year with Washington McNabb had a paltry 171yds on 32 attempts in week 1. In week 2 he had 426yds on 38 attempts.
In 09 McNabb had only 79yds on 18attempts in week one, but ended the year with pro-bowl numbers.
Brett Favre's Vikings debut he only had 110yds on 21attempts, he made the pro-bowl.
In 2010 the Chargers allowed the fewest pass yards in the NFL.

Purple Floyd
09-13-2011, 01:37 PM
optimistic spin:McNabb can only get better from here.
Last year with Washington McNabb had a paltry 171yds on 32 attempts in week 1. In week 2 he had 426yds on 38 attempts. In 09 McNabb had only 79yds on 18attempts in week one, but ended the year with pro-bowl numbers.
Brett Favre's Vikings debut he only had 110yds on 21attempts, he made the pro-bowl.

He was also benches in 2009 then traded to a division rival in 2010. In 2010 he was benched, signed to a big extension then benched again then traded again. We could be in for a real treat.

snowinapril
09-13-2011, 03:01 PM
optimistic spin:
McNabb can only get better from here.
Last year with Washington McNabb had a paltry 171yds on 32 attempts in week 1. In week 2 he had 426yds on 38 attempts.
In 09 McNabb had only 79yds on 18attempts in week one, but ended the year with pro-bowl numbers.

Not down on the guy, yet!

Where in the heck was Berrian? Did he have a dropped pass or a I making crap up? How many attempts down field did we do to open things up.........?

What about play calling?

kevoncox
09-13-2011, 03:38 PM

Where in the heck was Berrian? Did he have a dropped pass or a I making crap up? How many attempts down field did we do to open things up.........?

What about play calling?

Unfair... you are using logic.
I have to stop coming into these types of threads because they really make me upset to see foolishiness

jmcdon00
09-13-2011, 04:30 PM

What about play calling?
Listening to Kfan I heard they took one deep shot the entire game! Not enough.
Only 3 players caught passes for the Vikings. Berrian, Shank, Rudolph, Gerhart didn't make a single catch.

I rarely blame play calling for offensive failures. To me it doesn't matter what the play call is, it's up to the players to execute and make positive yardage. Also it's very hard to tell if the coaches didn't call any deep pass plays or if McNabb checked down.

gabe_menendez
09-13-2011, 05:42 PM
He was also benches in 2009 then traded to a division rival in 2010. In 2010 he was benched, signed to a big extension then benched again then traded again. We could be in for a real treat. You are so smart. Look at his numbers bro.. He is not done.. I cant wait to say I told you so Purple Floyd!

Purple Floyd
09-13-2011, 05:52 PM
You are so smart. Look at his numbers bro.. He is not done.. I cant wait to say I told you so Purple Floyd!

I'll be here all day.

Thank you, thank you very much..........

Oh, I just looked at his numbers- 39 yards passing . Woo Hoo.

And congratulations- You did the whole post without a "Dude" in it.

kevoncox
09-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Only 3 players caught passes for the Vikings. Berrian, Shank, Rudolph, Gerhart didn't make a single catch.

I rarely blame play calling for offensive failures. To me it doesn't matter what the play call is, it's up to the players to execute and make positive yardage. Also it's very hard to tell if the coaches didn't call any deep pass plays or if McNabb checked down.

Sorry but play calling has a lot to do with a teams success. It is after all a game of chess. It's not about just picking any play and going out an saying, My team will dominate your team. This isn't High school football. The talent level on these guys are tremendous. If it was that easy, plays like the option would be relevant in the NFL. However, do the the inert abilities of these players, these plays are almost extinct. You run power into the teeth of a run blitz and you will end up with a loss of yards/or short gain. You run a WR screen against cover two and the defense might pick you off. It has nothing to do with execution in these cases but just the play call vs. a particular defense.

Caine
09-13-2011, 06:31 PM
Sorry but play calling has a lot to do with a teams success. It is after all a game of chess. It's not about just picking any play and going out an saying, My team will dominate your team. This isn't High school football. The talent level on these guys are tremendous. If it was that easy, plays like the option would be relevant in the NFL. However, do the the inert abilities of these players, these plays are almost extinct. You run power into the teeth of a run blitz and you will end up with a loss of yards/or short gain. You run a WR screen against cover two and the defense might pick you off. It has nothing to do with execution in these cases but just the play call vs. a particular defense.

Play Calling only gets you so far - at the end of the day, you have to execute.

McNabb threw 15 times. Peterson ran 16 times. Gerhart, Harvin, and Webb ran an additional 7 times...McNabb ran 3.

That means from an OPPORTUNITY standpoint, McNabb had almost half of the offensive touches to make an impact.

He didn't.

Whatever plays were called, McNabb did not take advantage of the opportunities presented him - regardless of whoever else screwed up ( Line, Receivers, TE's, Coaches, blah, blah, blah), McNabb DID NOT EXECUTE.

This is exactly what I always harped on Jackson about. At some point in time it stops being about the other guys, or about the line, or the receivers, and starts being simply about the guy under center.

Jackson got 5 years because he was a rookie - McNabb doesn't have that kind of excusability. He has to produce NOW. And Sunday, he didn't.

Caine

Marrdro
09-16-2011, 01:58 PM
Play Calling only gets you so far - at the end of the day, you have to execute.

McNabb threw 15 times. Peterson ran 16 times. Gerhart, Harvin, and Webb ran an additional 7 times...McNabb ran 3.

That means from an OPPORTUNITY standpoint, McNabb had almost half of the offensive touches to make an impact.

He didn't.

Whatever plays were called, McNabb did not take advantage of the opportunities presented him - regardless of whoever else screwed up ( Line, Receivers, TE's, Coaches, blah, blah, blah), McNabb DID NOT EXECUTE.

This is exactly what I always harped on Jackson about. At some point in time it stops being about the other guys, or about the line, or the receivers, and starts being simply about the guy under center.

Jackson got 5 years because he was a rookie - McNabb doesn't have that kind of excusability. He has to produce NOW. And Sunday, he didn't.

Caine
All good points, but you are leaving off one small detail. You can only do so much with what you are given.

Pretty hard to change a play up when your offensive play sets don't have options in it to change to.

Again, what we saw alot of was the following:

a. LT, LG, C, RG, RT = 5 players
b. QB = 1 Player
c. TE, TE, TE = 3 players
d. RB = 1 player

Now I'm not good at math, but when I add 5+1+3+1 I get 10 players. 1 WR sure isn't gonna scare many people or doesn't give the QB much options to check to when the defense is ready to take your package away.

Marrdro
09-16-2011, 02:02 PM

Agree with you on the point about 1 deep shot not being enough, but to discount play calling, especially considering the packages that were on the field.

Seriously, when the biggest weapon we have is AD, and you run out a player package of 1 RB and 3 TE's, all you have to do is load up the zones and play gap control.

Makes it pretty easy for a defense to make plays (execute) without taking much risk and pretty hard for the offense to deviate from what the play call was.

Marrdro
09-16-2011, 02:04 PM

What about play calling?
He was on the sideline with the rest of the WR's. :)

Pretty hard to stretch a defense with 3 TE's and 1 WR.

Marrdro
09-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Rebuild?

Keep adding new pieces and resigning key vets, yes, rebuild? No need to.

Watch, if ole Musgrove pops his head out of his ass and calls a good game this weekend, everyone will be back on the optimisitic bandwagon.

MulletMullitia
09-16-2011, 03:25 PM
Rebuild?

Watch, if ole Musgrove pops his head out of his ass and calls a good game this weekend, everyone will be back on the optimisitic bandwagon.

I didn't mean a total rebuild. But we need to rebuild the O-line pronto! That first round pick next year needs to be an LT. And I wouldn't be upset if we spent the 2nd round pick on a guard or a center. Big uglies win football games. And Ponder will get killed if we don't fix this line immediately.

C Mac D
09-16-2011, 03:37 PM
I didn't mean a total rebuild. But we need to rebuild the O-line pronto! That first round pick next year needs to be an LT. And I wouldn't be upset if we spent the 2nd round pick on a guard or a center. Big uglies win football games. And Ponder will get killed if we don't fix this line immediately.

Unfortunately we need a total rebuild (and I'm including coaches in that). At our best we might make it to the divisional round of the playoffs for the next two year, but that's about it.

We need to revamp the team and that started by drafting Ponder. I know it sucks, but it's the truth.

MulletMullitia
09-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Unfortunately we need a total rebuild (and I'm including coaches in that). At our best we might make it to the divisional round of the playoffs for the next two year, but that's about it.

We need to revamp the team and that started by drafting Ponder. I know it sucks, but it's the truth.

I think Leslie Frazier is a great coach. I'm not sold on Musgrave, but I'm hoping that Frazier is our head coach for a long time. Pagac is growing on me as well. If Pagac struggles, I would be totally fine with us promoting Mike Singletary to DC. But I'm over all the HC drama. Leslie is our guy and he is going to do great.

Johnson14
09-16-2011, 03:52 PM
Think the criticism DNabb is getting is too harsh. He, by no means, gets a pass for the SD game, but it isnt all him. The OLine was not good and the play calling was about as vanilla as it could have possibly been.

I'm on the DNabb wagon and think he will do good here, so long as the OLine can give him time and the WR's get open.

MulletMullitia
09-16-2011, 04:04 PM
Think the criticism DNabb is getting is too harsh. He, by no means, gets a pass for the SD game, but it isnt all him. The OLine was not good and the play calling was about as vanilla as it could have possibly been.

I'm on the DNabb wagon and think he will do good here, so long as the OLine can give him time and the WR's get open.

I totally agree with this. I wish that we would run the play-action. It's the best way to run our offense with AP. Without play-action, our passing game will struggle no matter who the QB is.

Zeus
09-16-2011, 09:56 PM
I totally agree with this. I wish that we would run the play-action. It's the best way to run our offense with AP. Without play-action, our passing game will struggle no matter who the QB is.

Play-action doesn't work if they don't respect the pass. Basic football.

You have to show you can pass before the play-action option is respected.

=Z=

Purple Floyd
09-17-2011, 08:58 AM

Ponder and Webb would do fine if they didn't get pressured and the WR's were open. The reason they brought McNabb in was to provide veteran leadership like Brett did so as to have him act like another coach on the field that can direct the young players and win us additional games by that leadership.

So in that respect he was a total failure. His first changed play cost us 6 points right off the bat and he certainly didn't elevate the play of anyone around him.

i_bleed_purple
09-17-2011, 09:13 AM
Rebuild?

I must have missed when everyone was on the optimistic bandwagon. If you're talking about 09/10, then sure. Last I checked the majority of realistic fans, save maybe you and Kevon thought we were in for a 5-11 to 8-8 season.

singersp
09-17-2011, 10:59 AM
In Ron Jaworski's view, Vikings QB Donovan McNabb passes the eye test

After breaking down film of the Vikings' 43 offensive snaps in Sunday's 24-17 loss at San Diego, Ron Jaworski walked away with one conclusion:

He's not pinning the 39 passing yards on quarterback Donovan McNabb.

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_18913916

Johnson14
09-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Ponder and Webb would do fine if they didn't get pressured and the WR's were open. The reason they brought McNabb in was to provide veteran leadership like Brett did so as to have him act like another coach on the field that can direct the young players and win us additional games by that leadership.

So in that respect he was a total failure. His first changed play cost us 6 points right off the bat and he certainly didn't elevate the play of anyone around him.

Ponder was erratic to say the least in preseason when not pressured, over throws and under throws were the norm, so i disagree he would be able to step in.

And the first play of the game, i dont believe it was DNabb's fault, i think it was a great play by the DE.

Caine
09-17-2011, 02:59 PM

Hate to point out the obvious, but EVERYONE would do fine if they didn't get pressured and had open receivers. Hell, under those conditions, every QB in the NFL - including Jackson - would put up HOF numbers every week.

Problem is, he WAS pressured. The Receivers DIDN'T get open. And putting Ponder or Webb in there will NOT change that.

I am not a big McNabb fan, but NOBODY was going to look good behind that line last week. Singer keeps saying it, and no one is listening...WE NEED RECEIVERS!!!!!!! WE NEED A LINE!!!!!!!

Until we have those, it doesn't much matter who the QB is.

Caine

MulletMullitia
09-17-2011, 04:19 PM
Hate to point out the obvious, but EVERYONE would do fine if they didn't get pressured and had open receivers. Hell, under those conditions, every QB in the NFL - including Jackson - would put up HOF numbers every week.

Problem is, he WAS pressured. The Receivers DIDN'T get open. And putting Ponder or Webb in there will NOT change that.

I am not a big McNabb fan, but NOBODY was going to look good behind that line last week. Singer keeps saying it, and no one is listening...WE NEED RECEIVERS!!!!!!! WE NEED A LINE!!!!!!!

Caine

Agree 1000% Caine! Although, I think Receivers should be our #3 priority. The line needs to be #1 priority. We need a LT in the first round. I'm praying for Matt Kalil. Matt Kalil would lock up the left side of our line for the next decade. I think he ends up being better than Jake Long and Joe Thomas! I know that's a bold statement, but he is a special player. And he would turn this team around in no time. We could then move Charlie Johnson to guard. We can get our downfield WR in the 2nd round. It's a very deep draft at WR this year.

Purple Floyd
09-18-2011, 10:11 AM

You didn't have to since that is exactly what I said.

I look at it the other way around. Too many rubes buy into the notion that bringing in an old washed up has been will improve the team and that QB will help us win games the younger guys would have lost. In this case it is blatantly obvious that retread didn't help us one bit and if anything his performance and decisions may have cost us the game just as much as a rookie mistake might have. The difference is he has already peaked and isn't going to improve as a result of it while a young guy would still have room to learn.

All I can say to that is "duh". That is precisely why bringing him in was a waste of salary cap space. He isn't going to be the difference maker and we could have spent the money we gave him on another OL that may have made a difference and the draft pick on a future OL that could at some point give us the depth we lack.

Bingo.

Except there are 2 on the roster that could be gaining experience that would help them in the future while one is already a has been and is giving us nothing toward the future.

Caine

UffDa

Purple Floyd
09-18-2011, 04:30 PM
I dont blame the coach for that play at all. I know Donovan Audibled out of it. But come on dude you act like he threw 5 interception. Philips made a big play and jumped to batt it down. Thats what d line and linebackers do. Like bro come on, Im not the only one getting on your comments. Take a look in the mirror, you are the one that does not know much about football. I'm not saying next week but I believe week three Donavon will have over 200 yards passing. Cant wait to post on here to bro and say "What about Donavon now purple Floyd" hahaha I still cant believe you compared Donovan to Rex Grossman, get real bro.

Care to start this week?

Jereamiah
09-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Agree 1000% Caine! Although, I think Receivers should be our #3 priority. The line needs to be #1 priority. We need a LT in the first round. I'm praying for Matt Kalil. Matt Kalil would lock up the left side of our line for the next decade. I think he ends up being better than Jake Long and Joe Thomas! I know that's a bold statement, but he is a special player. And he would turn this team around in no time. We could then move Charlie Johnson to guard. We can get our downfield WR in the 2nd round. It's a very deep draft at WR this year. LOL. A little early for draft talk and the convoluted roster moves which won't come to pass. How about praying that the coaching staff looks at their calls and decides to actually put their collective foot on the neck of an already beaten opponant? As opposed to getting a lead, and then sittin on the ball ala Denny? Perhaps a supplication begging for a young QB that the team developes into a stud????? :)

Marrdro
09-19-2011, 12:13 PM

Caine
Hate to bring in another possible discussion point that might negate yours, however, you don't go from 39 yards passing, 2.6 avg, 47.9 rating to 228 yards passing, 7.6 avg, 83.8 rating from one game to the next cause the OL and WR's figured things out.

This is all about the offense as a whole being given better plays, in the right situation.

Is it hard to watch? Sure, but going out and shitcanning everyone and starting over won't make this any better. All they need is a bit of time to get things in synch.

That and a O-coord that won't throw quick slants when he needs to run.

El Vikingo
09-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Plan is getting ready a young Qb for next seasonand he is making a hell of job.

Who cares if he is Ponder or Andrew Luck ?

gabe_menendez
09-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Care to start this week? Yeah bro I will start. You act like Donavon lost that game? You just said it your self up there. Without a line it doesn't matter what qb it is. So saying that loss was because of Donavon is wrong. There was no protection, and WR were not getting open. Seriously what game were you watching to put that on Donovan. Yeah it would be nice for are young guys to get experience, but you keep contradicting yourself. One post you he is horrible and another you say without the line no qb can do anything, thats why you want the young guys in. Donovan threw some low balls but he has always done that. To put that on Donovan is crazy, share the pipe you were smoking.

Marrdro
09-19-2011, 02:40 PM
Yeah bro I will start. You act like Donavon lost that game? You just said it your self up there. Without a line it doesn't matter what qb it is. So saying that loss was because of Donavon is wrong. There was no protection, and WR were not getting open. Seriously what game were you watching to put that on Donovan. Yeah it would be nice for are young guys to get experience, but you keep contradicting yourself. One post you he is horrible and another you say without the line no qb can do anything, thats why you want the young guys in. Donovan threw some low balls but he has always done that. To put that on Donovan is crazy, share the pipe you were smoking.
Berrian had a step on 2 defenders and Dnabb over threw him. Berrian was wide open when Dnabb threw to Percy (drew the pass interference flag) in triple coverage. Oroshomadu was open twice and Dnabb over threw him.

By the way, the OL provided more than enough time to not only make the throw but in 2 of those instances, for Dnabb to go to his second progression.

In the end, its not the QB, its not the Ol, and its not the receivers, its the lack of actual reps necessary to get that part of the passing attack in synch.

Again, as I've said repeatedly, it will come.

Purple Floyd
09-19-2011, 06:35 PM
Yeah bro I will start. You act like Donavon lost that game?
You are just making shit up now. I clearly stated that my opinion is he is a waste of time because he isn't able to be a difference maker that can win games the other couldn't. Care to point out an example of where he did?

You just said it your self up there. Without a line it doesn't matter what qb it is. So saying that loss was because of Donavon is wrong.

Can you point out where I said anything like that? You are delusional.

There was no protection, and WR were not getting open.

Actually I have basically let that one slide but since you brought it up, IMHO the line gave him plenty of time to make plays. And interestingly enough it was brought up on KFAN by Pete Bercich that there were guys who were open that McNabb wasn't getting the ball to even when he had the time. Maybe you might want to go pee on his carpet too because obviously he is a hater.

Seriously what game were you watching to put that on Donovan. Yeah it would be nice for are young guys to get experience, but you keep contradicting yourself. One post you he is horrible and another you say without the line no qb can do anything, thats why you want the young guys in. Donovan threw some low balls but he has always done that. To put that on Donovan is crazy, share the pipe you were smoking.

You must be the one on the crack pipe because you are coming up with shit that isn't even there. BTW since you brought it up- How many sack has he taken and how many times was he knocked down yesterday? I am no fan of the line but for gods sake if he was a decent QB he would have connected on some of those deep throws yesterday.

Just remember this- It's only a game and unless you are really McChunky you shouldn't get all butt hurt about this.

gabe_menendez
09-19-2011, 09:39 PM
I dont blame the coach for that play at all. I know Donovan Audibled out of it. But come on dude you act like he threw 5 interception. Philips made a big play and jumped to batt it down. Thats what d line and linebackers do. Like bro come on, Im not the only one getting on your comments. Take a look in the mirror, you are the one that does not know much about football. I'm not saying next week but I believe week three Donavon will have over 200 yards passing. Cant wait to post on here to bro and say "What about Donavon now purple Floyd" hahaha I still cant believe you compared Donovan to Rex Grossman, get real bro. Hey he had over 200 a week early imagine that. You are such a hater man. I was just defending my team and my qb. Im a die hard fan and will always stay that way! It makes me sick sometimes to see people like you bash so much on a qb after week 1. It literally makes my stomach curl more then giving the game away in second half.

gabe_menendez
09-19-2011, 09:41 PM
It has been nothing but negative from you purple floyd for a long time. I have been a memeber for a while now, and I barely post for my own reasons. But its got to the point im sick of your bashing, thats all you do on this site from what I see.

Purple Floyd
09-19-2011, 09:58 PM
It has been nothing but negative from you purple floyd for a long time. I have been a memeber for a while now, and I barely post for my own reasons. But its got to the point im sick of your bashing, thats all you do on this site from what I see.

Then maybe you should either open your eyes or just stop reading. I call things the way they are- If they are good then I say it and if they are not then I don't. When a team gives away 2 straight games more than likely there is more bad than good and that will not lead to rosy purple shaded posts. If you are happy with underachieving and failed performances it is your prerogative.

singersp
09-19-2011, 10:05 PM
This is all about the offense as a whole being given better plays, in the right situation.

Is it hard to watch? Sure, but going out and shitcanning everyone and starting over won't make this any better. All they need is a bit of time to get things in synch.

That and a O-coord that won't throw quick slants when he needs to run.

The bit of time you speak of should have happened in week 4 of the preseason & during the practices they were limited in/kept out of to avoid injuries.

I told you it would happen. Those decisions have resulted in that "learning curve" now coming at the expense of regular season games.

You were fooled like Frazier in thinking the team was ready & prepared for week 1 of the regular season, following the 3rd preseason game.

snowinapril
09-19-2011, 10:48 PM
The bit of time you speak of should have happened in week 4 of the preseason & during the practices they were limited in/kept out of to avoid injuries.

I told you it would happen. Those decisions have resulted in that "learning curve" now coming at the expense of regular season games.

You were fooled like Frazier in thinking the team was ready & prepared for week 1 of the regular season, following the 3rd preseason game.

Teams that start 0-2 have a 12 % chance of making the playoffs.

Not that we were going to do that anyway, but I am just throwing it out there.

We were doing well in both games, just couldn't hold the other team off and close out the game.

gabe_menendez
09-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Then maybe you should either open your eyes or just stop reading. I call things the way they are- If they are good then I say it and if they are not then I don't. When a team gives away 2 straight games more than likely there is more bad than good and that will not lead to rosy purple shaded posts. If you are happy with underachieving and failed performances it is your prerogative. We will see you hater, Webb and ponder is not are answer for this season. It was not all Donovan's fault. He was able have a better game last week because the play calling was much better, and not so predictable. The dude takes care of the football. It is still early in the season, you were waiving your surrender flag last week. You jump on are team when favre took us to nfc championship? Im sure you did. You were probably one of the guys that wanted to trade peterson so we can get the most value for him now.

Purple Floyd
09-19-2011, 11:11 PM
We will see you hater, Webb and ponder is not are answer for this season. It was not all Donovan's fault. He was able have a better game last week because the play calling was much better, and not so predictable. The dude takes care of the football. It is still early in the season, you were waiving your surrender flag last week. You jump on are team when favre took us to nfc championship? Im sure you did. You were probably one of the guys that wanted to trade peterson so we can get the most value for him now.

I have been a fan through all of the SB losses of the 70's, through the 80's 90's and the 2 decades that have followed. Not sure how long you have been a fan but don't ever question my loyalty to the team. I am here and will more than likely be here long after you are a spec on the post log.

And just where the hell do you get the idea that I laid the loss at his feet anyway? Do you actually understand English or are you reading through an interpreter because from what I remember I have placed the losses on the secondary, play of the line and a lack of WR's as well as possibly a suspect coaching performance. If all you see is something that is not even there I suggest you take a few days off from the keyboard and clear your mind because you are seeing ghosts and if you try to paint me as something I am not you are going to have a damn tough row to hoe.

STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES
09-19-2011, 11:13 PM
Then maybe you should either open your eyes or just stop reading. I call things the way they are- If they are good then I say it and if they are not then I don't. When a team gives away 2 straight games more than likely there is more bad than good and that will not lead to rosy purple shaded posts. If you are happy with underachieving and failed performances it is your prerogative.

There is 'i'm going to jump off a bridge' negative, and 'they lost, it's not the end of the world' negative.

The biggest thing is to keep all sports, pro or otherwise in perspective. I care more about the $25 i wasted on a ticket plus another $15 for food, then anything else. I had it to spend, but when they win it makes it alot easier to justify spending it again later. More or less what singer was saying in his post about justify the time and expense in the tailgate thread.

gabe_menendez
09-19-2011, 11:25 PM
I am 23 and have been a fan since I was 7, that was when I realized the 49ers are not my team, and i actually knew about football. And I will question your loyalty, all I see you doing is hating on vikings. And you are always critiquing other members on the thread. Basically 'You are right and everyone else is wrong'. And dont give me that bs that you think you will be here long after me on this post log. I have been on this site for a while now. Just because I post does not mean I am not a current member. I check this site everyday, I just don't post. This site has it all, from news, videos, comic relief, and the love of Vikings fan. Like I said I could not take it anymore. And you did blame it on Donovan against the chargers, when really it was the play calling and o line. Imagine that the play calling had improved and you no longer blamed Donovan, it is now the secondary. I do agree with you a little bit about the secondary, but we had no pressure on the qb second half. All we did was rely on are 4 up front.

Dont ever judge a member by there post count.

Purple Floyd
09-19-2011, 11:34 PM
I am 23 and have been a fan since I was 7, that was when I realized the 49ers are not my team, and i actually knew about football. And I will question your loyalty, all I see you doing is hating on vikings. And you are always critiquing other members on the thread. Basically 'You are right and everyone else is wrong'. And dont give me that bs that you think you will be here long after me on this post log. I have been on this site for a while now. Just because I post does not mean I am not a current member. I check this site everyday, I just don't post. This site has it all, from news, videos, comic relief, and the love of Vikings fan. Like I said I could not take it anymore. And you did blame it on Donovan against the chargers, when really it was the play calling and o line. Imagine that the play calling had improved and you no longer blamed Donovan, it is now the secondary. I do agree with you a little bit about the secondary, but we had no pressure on the qb second half. All we did was rely on are 4 up front.

Dont ever judge a member by there post count.

23- that explains alot. Get back to me when you mature a bit because you are acting a little immature right now.

If you expect me to cheer and congratulate a team for giving away a game they had won then I guess you are just going to have problems. When the team starts to play to their potential and win games they should probably lose I will give them every bit of respect and praise.

Anyway like I said- if a post calling the team out for collapsing leaves you emotionally distraught I would suggest you spend some time away from the keyboard until your skin gets a little thicker.

gabe_menendez
09-19-2011, 11:38 PM
23- that explains alot. Get back to me when you mature a bit because you are acting a little immature right now.

If you expect me to cheer and congratulate a team for giving away a game they had won then I guess you are just going to have problems. When the team starts to play to their potential and win games they should probably lose I will give them every bit of respect and praise.

Anyway like I said- if a post calling the team out for collapsing leaves you emotionally distraught I would suggest you spend some time away from the keyboard until your skin gets a little thicker. Yeah man you are real mature to take a dig at my age man. You dont see me digging at your age? And bro I got on you for getting on Donovan. Not the team it was Donovan. Yeah you support the team when they are winning, but hate on them when they loose. Real classy viking fan.

Purple Floyd
09-19-2011, 11:44 PM
Go ahead and get on me, it is really no consequence to me one way or the other. Why don't you possibly try to do like MM did and just put your money where your mouth is, sit back and discuss things rationally and at the end of the year if Donovan turns things around and leads the team to the playoffs you will get to see me eat my plate of crow. You use hate way too often and it seems to me your disposition is becoming unhealthy. Come back in a few weeks after you calmed down and start over again if your skin is too thin.

gabe_menendez
09-19-2011, 11:54 PM
Nope I'm fine, money where my mouth is? I never said Donovan would lead them to the promise land, I just couldn't believe you were getting on him on week 1 and 2, and i stand by my defense for him. And there you go with Donovan turning things around. I think he played a decent game last week. And from what you said it did not fall on Donovan against the bucs. Yes there were Somme open receivers. But I felt like he had a good game because the play calling was switched up. But im done arguing with a contradicting person. Have a nice night. SKOL Vikings!

Marrdro
09-20-2011, 02:13 PM

Back to that again eh.

Lets look at it this way. If it hasn't been fixed in 2 regular season games, why would you think they could fix it in 1 more preseason game?

Nope, there is a reason teams don't run their starters out there in week four. Hard to iron things out when they are hurt by some rookie trying to damn hard and hurting someone.

It will come around my friend. Its just gonna be a bit painfull for the fans to watch. But hey, the fans should have seen this coming when they were chanting for a new coach and a new scheme and new players etc etc etc.