PDA

View Full Version : Vikings Sign Greenway To Contract Extension

marstc09
09-05-2011, 06:34 PM
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-Sign-Greenway-To-Contract-Extension/5c6a8b5c-2d12-4bed-9b8f-a9ce7fc23915

i_bleed_purple
09-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Those damn FO PUKES gotta get their ass in gear, sometimes I don't know what they're thinking. Greenway should have been re-signed long ago before this ever became an issue, and now if he walks I'm going...

Oh, wait, what? You mean they actually sorta seem like they know what they're doing? Shocking.

Braddock
09-05-2011, 06:47 PM
There's a business to this game. Why sign an extension before the new CBA was ratified. So it's been a month? 5 weeks? For a contract of this value, that's pretty damn fast. I think the FO did the smart thing throughout.

skum
09-05-2011, 06:48 PM
http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Vikings-Sign-Greenway-To-Contract-Extension/5c6a8b5c-2d12-4bed-9b8f-a9ce7fc23915

Wanna see the numbers before i rate the deal.. But important to lock up our players proven players.

STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES
09-05-2011, 06:52 PM
I understand about leaving out the money from the article, but why leave out the years?

I suppose that's too much info. and people can put 2 and 2 together.

As long as he'll be in purple, that's what is important.

MulletMullitia
09-05-2011, 06:53 PM
NOW PAY ADRIAN PETERSON!

delviking
09-05-2011, 06:55 PM
great news and one less distraction

Now all attention to APs new contract.

skum
09-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Jason LaConfora says the deal is for 5 years

MulletMullitia
09-05-2011, 06:59 PM
@TomPelissero:

Frazier says Adrian Peterson's contract situation is being discussed. That was always the plan once Greenway's deal was done.

THANK GOD!

Marrdro
09-05-2011, 07:03 PM
Those damn FO PUKES gotta get their ass in gear, sometimes I don't know what they're thinking. Greenway should have been re-signed long ago before this ever became an issue, and now if he walks I'm going...

Oh, wait, what? You mean they actually sorta seem like they know what they're doing? Shocking.
Could have fooled me.

Sure seems like there are alot of "Farewell" fans who don't like the CAP situation we are in.:whistle:

In the end, this is a good thing. Now all they have to do is get AD and several others taken care of.

i_bleed_purple
09-05-2011, 07:03 PM
@TomPelissero:

Frazier says Adrian Peterson's contract situation is being discussed. That was always the plan once Greenway's deal was done.

THANK GOD!

THat's what I like to hear. Get that man SIGNED! Letting him go would be the worst possible thing that could happen.

i_bleed_purple
09-05-2011, 07:07 PM

Could have fooled me.

Sure seems like there are alot of "Farewell" fans who don't like the CAP situation we are in.:whistle:

I don't think it's as bad as some would think. Yeah, we were right at the cap, but that's not taking into account Greenway and AP's contracts. Get those changed up, and that's potentially 5+ mil freed up this year. Cutting Ryan Cook and Farwell also frees up a bunch. So again, what has our cap situation cost us? Nothing really. I don't think we were really considering any big-name FA's, we didn't get Weddle, but I don't think Cap space was the issue. Just didn't want to pay him that much.

In the end, this is a good thing.
http://orlyowl.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/orly.jpg

Mr Anderson
09-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Don't know how I missed this. Sorry IBP and Mars.

I'll edit mine.

i_bleed_purple
09-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Don't know how I missed this. Sorry IBP.

I'll edit mine.

You are forgiven my child.

Mr Anderson
09-05-2011, 07:20 PM
Via PFT:Vikings Extend Chad Greenway (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/05/vikings-extend-chad-greenway/)

MulletMullitia
09-05-2011, 07:38 PM
Pioneer Press via twitter.

@VikingsNow: Total Greenway deal, according to person with direct knowledge: Five years, $41 million, $20 million guaranteed.

carta4eva
09-05-2011, 07:39 PM
I wonder how much Guaranteed he's going to get... As many have voiced, now they need to get Peterson done and not risk upsetting the "Face of the Franchise" by tagging him at the end of the season

carta4eva
09-05-2011, 07:40 PM

@VikingsNow: Total Greenway deal, according to person with direct knowledge: Five years, $41 million, $20 million guaranteed.

MM thanks for the much desired info :) ... I think that's adequate value for a LB that should have already made a pro bowl or two.

MulletMullitia
09-05-2011, 07:46 PM

MM thanks for the much desired info :) ... I think that's adequate value for a LB that should have already made a pro bowl or two.

You are very welcome sir! We paid more than I thought we would. But that being said, we still just cut about 3-5 million off the cap for the year with this extension, and the Camarillo paycut. And most importantly, we just gave Lance Briggs a lot of leverage to get out of the NFC North!

Marrdro
09-05-2011, 07:55 PM

You are very welcome sir! We paid more than I thought we would. But that being said, we still just cut about 3-5 million off the cap for the year with this extension, and the Camarillo paycut. And most importantly, we just gave Lance Briggs a lot of leverage to get out of the NFC North!
I'm liking that train of thought. :laugh:

LIVike
09-05-2011, 08:04 PM
About time. Like others have said this frees up a lot of cap space. Now just get Peterson done. This should also leave plenty of room to maybe make one more signing.

singersp
09-06-2011, 12:20 PM
We paid more than I thought we would. But that being said, we still just cut about 3-5 million off the cap for the year with this extension, and the Camarillo paycut. And most importantly, we just gave Lance Briggs a lot of leverage to get out of the NFC North!

How did you arrive at those numbers?

I didn't see numbers anywhere as to how much cap space was freed up & know Cam took a big cut from his $1.7 mil, but no numbers were tossed out.

Edit/Update:

Greenway: Tagged as the team's franchise player in February, Greenway was set to earn $10.091 million in base salary and count the same amount against the salary cap. For that reason, the Vikings have been working all summer on an extension that would lessen the cap hit and ensure his long-term status with the team.

Heading into the weekend, the Vikings were less than $400,000 below the salary cap. ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the five-year deal is worth $40 million, but we don't yet know its first-year cap number to help us calculate the cap savings. Look for an update on that in the coming days.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/30722/presuming-a-cap-savings-on-greenway-deal

Marrdro
09-06-2011, 03:37 PM
We paid more than I thought we would. But that being said, we still just cut about 3-5 million off the cap for the year with this extension, and the Camarillo paycut. And most importantly, we just gave Lance Briggs a lot of leverage to get out of the NFC North!

How did you arrive at those numbers?

I didn't see numbers anywhere as to how much cap space was freed up & know Cam took a big cut from his $1.7 mil, but no numbers were tossed out.

Edit/Update:

Greenway: Tagged as the team's franchise player in February, Greenway was set to earn $10.091 million in base salary and count the same amount against the salary cap. For that reason, the Vikings have been working all summer on an extension that would lessen the cap hit and ensure his long-term status with the team.

Heading into the weekend, the Vikings were less than $400,000 below the salary cap. ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the five-year deal is worth $40 million, but we don't yet know its first-year cap number to help us calculate the cap savings. Look for an update on that in the coming days.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/30722/presuming-a-cap-savings-on-greenway-deal
I used to always go to rotoworld.com but they sure have been late updating this year.

Guess they are waiting for the same specifics the rest of are (i.e. year by year cap hit).