PDA

View Full Version : Talent is there for Purple, just not enough

singersp
09-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Patrick Reusse: Talent is there for Purple, just not enough

The roster has turned over considerably since the NFC title game loss, but the Vikings' biggest problem in 2011 is the division they play in....

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/129196883.html

Purple Floyd
09-05-2011, 03:48 PM
The problem is where do we go from here?

Do you want to be a mid level team hanging on to a few big dollar stars and filling the roster with cap friendly talent around them or would it just be better to be honest with the fans and just do a total rebuild of the roster and try to reload and be a contender a few years down the road when the Packers and the Lions are in the same boat as us as their players start to leave for bigger contracts.

I don't see any way we can get to the SB in the next 3-4 years staying on the course we are on and would rather sit back and reload with younger talent that can make a push a few years down the road.

battleaxe4cheese
09-05-2011, 04:13 PM
The problem is that we can go ahead and push for younger talent and make a run 3-4 years from now but from an owner's perspective that doesn't sell tickets. Fact is we would have been better off playing Joe Webb last year but how much lost revenue would have occurred through tickets and tv ratings. Quite a bit. Everyone knew it was the last year to watch the "legend " so we did but we would of been better off playing Webb.

Not only that but with young guys its a big gamble to find out if they will become studs or just fizzle out with mediocrity. At least with proven vets you have a known quantity at the expense of salary cap issues. It's a razors edge to be sure, but the great organizations know how to walk it.

Marrdro
09-05-2011, 04:28 PM
The problem is that we can go ahead and push for younger talent and make a run 3-4 years from now but from an owner's perspective that doesn't sell tickets. Fact is we would have been better off playing Joe Webb last year but how much lost revenue would have occurred through tickets and tv ratings. Quite a bit. Everyone knew it was the last year to watch the "legend " so we did but we would of been better off playing Webb.

Not only that but with young guys its a big gamble to find out if they will become studs or just fizzle out with mediocrity. At least with proven vets you have a known quantity at the expense of salary cap issues. It's a razors edge to be sure, but the great organizations know how to walk it.
Great post.

One question for you my friend......Do you think organizations, like the team , take time to figure out how to walk that line?

I kindof lean towards yes. Because we just don't have any consistency, starting with owner, down to coaches, I think we are destined to keep re-learning things that will never get us to that level, unless of course, we can get some consistency at all levels.