PDA

View Full Version : Could the Vikings Be a Playoff Team in 2011?

Marrdro
08-30-2011, 05:59 PM
I want to say something. Iím going to put it out there, and if you like it, you can take it; if you donít, send it right back.

The Minnesota Vikings will make the playoffs.

Well, they could anyway, which is close enough.

A few weeks ago I predicted the Arizona Cardinals could be this yearís sleeper team. For a brief second I thought about picking the Vikings, but that went against the whole column.

Iíve since changed my mind.

Think about it. Theyíre younger at quarterback, have the best running back in the league, a still semi-decent run defense, and a pretty darn good receiver in Percy Harvin. They will also benefit from playing a fourth place schedule.

The Vikings could potentially be 6-2 or 5-3 when their bye week rolls around, just in time for their yearly trip to Lambeau Field. With games against Oakland, Denver, Washington and home against Chicago in the second half of the season, it is not entirely impossible for this team to finish 9-7.

Could the Minnesota Vikings Be a Playoff Team in 2011?
(http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2011/08/could-the-minnesota-vikings-be-a-playoff-team-in-2011/)
There is a certain yutz on here that has been saying they will be 10-6/11-5 this year.

Sounds like some people are starting to maybe, just maybe, buy into that train of craziness.

i_bleed_purple
08-30-2011, 06:02 PM
So since there were fewer than nineteen threads about this subject it necessitated the creation of yet another?

BloodyHorns82
08-30-2011, 06:04 PM
I want to say something. Iím going to put it out there, and if you like it, you can take it; if you donít, send it right back.

A few weeks ago I predicted the Arizona Cardinals could be this yearís sleeper team. For a brief second I thought about picking the Vikings, but that went against the whole column.

Think about it. Theyíre younger at quarterback, have the best running back in the league, a still semi-decent run defense, and a pretty darn good receiver in Percy Harvin. They will also benefit from playing a fourth place schedule.

The Vikings could potentially be 6-2 or 5-3 when their bye week rolls around, just in time for their yearly trip to Lambeau Field. With games against Oakland, Denver, Washington and home against Chicago in the second half of the season, it is not entirely impossible for this team to finish 9-7.

(http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/2011/08/could-the-minnesota-vikings-be-a-playoff-team-in-2011/)
There is a certain yutz on here that has been saying they will be 10-6/11-5 this year.

Sounds like some people are starting to maybe, just maybe, buy into that train of craziness.

Yeah, except he's not saying 10-6 or 11-5, he's saying that maybe...just MAYBE they COULD finish 9-7 and sneak their way into a wildcard berth. Not exactly lighting the league on fire eh? :P

Marrdro
08-30-2011, 06:08 PM
So since there were fewer than nineteen threads about this subject it necessitated the creation of yet another?
I think so. The dates of the others aren't conduscive to getting max PPO participation. A new one will.

Besides, are you now a deputy of Z's "Keep Marrdro In Line Police"? :whistle:

Marrdro
08-30-2011, 06:10 PM

Yeah, except he's not saying 10-6 or 11-5, he's saying that maybe...just MAYBE they COULD finish 9-7 and sneak their way into a wildcard berth. Not exactly lighting the league on fire eh? :P
I hear ya, but its alot better read than alot of the 5-11 stuff we've been subjected to for what seems like an eternity. B)

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm damn tired of the negative Nancy approach to this season.

I'm ready to get excited for some Vikings Football. Already looking at schedules to see what game Wildwoman and I are coming home to help celebrate a victory.

Little brother has tickets to the Bores game. Might be a candidate.

i_bleed_purple
08-30-2011, 06:17 PM

I hear ya, but its alot better read than alot of the 5-11 stuff we've been subjected to for what seems like an eternity. B)

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm damn tired of the negative Nancy approach to this season.

I'm ready to get excited for some Vikings Football. Already looking at schedules to see what game Wildwoman and I are coming home to help celebrate a victory.

Wheras I prefer to think realistically and ifwe do make the playoffs be pleasantly surprised, rather than be disappointed ifwe suck.

BloodyHorns82
08-30-2011, 06:18 PM

Little brother has tickets to the Bores game. Might be a candidate.[/quote]

Fair enough, although it seems the majority on here were around 8-8, give or take. I think 10-6 and 11-5 are very optimistic figures.

I don't think we're going to have a very great year. I'd be pretty happy if we finished 9-7 coming off a 6-10 year. I'm not down about it though and I'm certainly not trying to bring other more optimistic people down with me. Optimism is a great thing.

Marrdro
08-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Wheras I prefer to think realistically and ifwe do make the playoffs be pleasantly surprised, rather than be disappointed ifwe suck.
There is no way in heck this team is gonna suck this year.

Could we have some injury issues that stretch our depth? Sure, but if we do that, it really isn't that we suck, its that we just ran out of players.

Right now, atleast for me, the only two roster spots that I'm concerned about depth on is our DT's and maybe QB.

Get me a warpig in here that we can collapse a pocket with and I'm damn near doing backflips over how optimistic I am this year and even without one, I still pretty fricken jazzed.

Lots and Lots and Lots and Lots of these here emoticons.......:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Marrdro
08-30-2011, 06:43 PM

Fair enough, although it seems the majority on here were around 8-8, give or take. I think 10-6 and 11-5 are very optimistic figures.

I don't think we're going to have a very great year. I'd be pretty happy if we finished 9-7 coming off a 6-10 year. I'm not down about it though and I'm certainly not trying to bring other more optimistic people down with me. Optimism is a great thing.[/quote]
What are your concerns? How can I help alleviate those concerns? Ole Marrdro is ready to sell you on this team. Just need to know what your hurdles to completely buying in are so I can address them for you. B)

BloodyHorns82
08-30-2011, 06:53 PM
What are your concerns? How can I help alleviate those concerns? Ole Marrdro is ready to sell you on this team. Just need to know what your hurdles to completely buying in are so I can address them for you. B)

My concerns are as follows:

1.) O-line struggled last year and likely will continue into this season
2.) WR corps is average at best
3.) QB played bad last year and has to pick up a new offense this year
4.) New coaching staff
5.) Safeties are suspect....at best
6.) D-line has been declining, little reason to believe there will be improvement - especially with KWill's foot and Asshat gone.
7.) Both the Packers and Lions should be looking even better than last year and their strengths play into our weakness.

I don't think we're going to be terrible, but I do think with the problems mentioned above that we'll be lucky to finish 8-8.

Marrdro
08-30-2011, 07:17 PM

1.) O-line struggled last year and likely will continue into this season
2.) WR corps is average at best
3.) QB played bad last year and has to pick up a new offense this year
4.) New coaching staff
5.) Safeties are suspect....at best
6.) D-line has been declining, little reason to believe there will be improvement - especially with KWill's foot and Asshat gone.
7.) Both the Packers and Lions should be looking even better than last year and their strengths play into our weakness.

I don't think we're going to be terrible, but I do think with the problems mentioned above that we'll be lucky to finish 8-8.
All valid concerns.......
1.) They struggled last year, to use your words, and yet were graded out 13th in the league and that was with 3 backups in there. My guess, and they still have some bugs to work out, they won't be any were near that this year.

I'm looking for top 10 (about 7th/8th) mostly cause:
a. Hutch and Herrera look to be healthy
b. Sully (again Healthy) looked to be able to handle the bigger NT's (like he did in 2009)
c. Regardless of what most papers say, they didn't change the blocking scheme very much.
d. Most importantly, Dnabb loves to dumb off to his checkdowns ALOT.

2.) Watch the scheme. I think our WR corps is going to be a perfect fit to support it. My biggest worry here isn't the WR's, its do we have enough TE's.

3.) Whats the name of that song....."Smooth Operator". With his full offensive weapon set and a somewhat glorified gameplan, he looked pretty damn good.

Again, I think the QB and the other players on offense fit the scheme to a tea. Don't think we are going to see alot of Berrian deep like we did the Dallas game but I think we saw that we can exploit it if its there as teams cheat up to take AD, Percy and the TE's out of the mix.

4.) Still undecided on Musgrove but I'm warming to him. Pagac more than showed what he can do last year when given a chance.

I am suprised that Lelsie went ahead and made a couple of bonehead things like that challenge against Dallas but so far I'm happy with his approach to things.

5.) Our S's, like our CB's, will play to the level that our DL will allow them. If we have to start using LB'rs to get pressure, yes, we will see our S's and CB's looking silly but it isn't a fault of the S's. They are just Cover 2 S's. Expecting them to play anything other than that is kindof out there.

On a side note, I do expect to see Griff and Cook help in this area as they can single up at times if they aren't asked to do it every down. That should allow our S's to play deep 1/4rs and also be ready to take good angles in run support.

6.) Not much help here. Other than ole Shortwell, our DT rotation and its ability to collapse a pocket worry me. I don't think its gonna be bad enough that we can't finish well this year though.

I'm kindof banking on Coach Pagac to "use his players" the right way to overcome this.

7.) I'm not worried about the PUKERS. Everyone is so jazzed about them getting better cause they are getting players back off the IR. Take a close look at who they got back, then look at who they lost in FA.

The Lions on the other hand, ........Watch those DT's. Thats what DT play is all about. Get me one of those warpigs and I will be overjoyed.

By the way, the PUKERS lost one of their Warpigs with no real replacement.

There is my sales pitch. Hope your now ready to get on the 10-6/11-5 bandwagon my friend. :lol:

i_bleed_purple
08-30-2011, 11:07 PM
There is no way in heck this team is gonna suck this year.

Funny, I thought the same thing last year. And last year we had all the reasons int he world to be optimistic. This year, there are some serious doubts at many positions.

TheAnimal93
08-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Well, I have yet to join the McNabb bandwagon. I dont see us going anywhere, not even close to the playoffs. Will be lucky to finish 8-8.

singersp
08-31-2011, 01:00 AM
Marty,

It was the Dallas Cowboys, not the Patriots, not the Packers. And we still lost.

AD looked like a well oiled machine out there, the rest of the team, sans a few players, did not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3-eavMSBnk

Purple Floyd
08-31-2011, 01:41 AM

They generally find a way to screw things up so I figure if we expect them to suck ass maybe they will screw up and do really well.

At least that is the line I am going to take.

gregair13
08-31-2011, 02:10 AM
Too many good teams in our division let alone the NFC for a team like us to make the playoffs. For once, my hopes are not high at all for this season.

But this is why we play the games and do not crown a champion in September.

Marrdro
08-31-2011, 02:57 PM
Marty,
It was the Dallas Cowboys, not the Patriots, not the Packers. And we still lost.

It was pre-season.

Watch the games for what they are. Staffs working on certain things to see how they will work or looking at players to see how they function in certain roles.

Very few staffs, if any, are out there trying to win games.

tarkenton10
08-31-2011, 05:38 PM
I am with you Gregair. If you look at this logically we are not going to make the playoffs unless we knock off some really good teams. I have us going 7-9. Looking at the playoff picture I see the division cahmps as Pukers, Saints, Eagles, Rams. The two wild card teams are the Falcons and the Lions!! Even if they faulter we are behind IMO the Bucs, Bears, Giants & Cowgirls. So if you look at it logically we have a very dim shot at the playoffs this year. The top ten teams will fight it out for six positions and we will have to hope for next year.

Marrdro
08-31-2011, 05:46 PM
I am with you Gregair. If you look at this logically we are not going to make the playoffs unless we knock off some really good teams. I have us going 7-9. Looking at the playoff picture I see the division cahmps as Pukers, Saints, Eagles, Rams. The two wild card teams are the Falcons and the Lions!! Even if they faulter we are behind IMO the Bucs, Bears, Giants & Cowgirls. So if you look at it logically we have a very dim shot at the playoffs this year. The top ten teams will fight it out for six positions and we will have to hope for next year.
After we beat the Chargers week you, you and your kind (Pessimist) will all come join my kind (Optimist).

JK my friend. I think I am looking at it pretty logically. Your one of the better posters on here......Tell me were I'm going wrong.

From a previous post.....

1.) They struggled last year, to use your words, and yet were graded out 13th in the league and that was with 3 backups in there. My guess, and they still have some bugs to work out, they won't be any were near that this year.

b. Sully (again Healthy) looked to be able to handle the bigger NT's (like he did in 2009)
c. Regardless of what most papers say, they didn't change the blocking scheme very much.

2.) Watch the scheme. I think our WR corps is going to be a perfect fit to support it. My biggest worry here isn't the WR's, its do we have enough TE's.

3.) Whats the name of that song....."Smooth Operator". With his full offensive weapon set and a somewhat glorified gameplan, he looked pretty damn good.

Again, I think the QB and the other players on offense fit the scheme to a tea. Don't think we are going to see alot of Berrian deep like we did the Dallas game but I think we saw that we can exploit it if its there as teams cheat up to take AD, Percy and the TE's out of the mix.

4.) Still undecided on Musgrove but I'm warming to him. Pagac more than showed what he can do last year when given a chance.

I am suprised that Lelsie went ahead and made a couple of bonehead things like that challenge against Dallas but so far I'm happy with his approach to things.

5.) Our S's, like our CB's, will play to the level that our DL will allow them. If we have to start using LB'rs to get pressure, yes, we will see our S's and CB's looking silly but it isn't a fault of the S's. They are just Cover 2 S's. Expecting them to play anything other than that is kindof out there.

On a side note, I do expect to see Griff and Cook help in this area as they can single up at times if they aren't asked to do it every down. That should allow our S's to play deep 1/4rs and also be ready to take good angles in run support.

6.) Not much help here. Other than ole Shortwell, our DT rotation and its ability to collapse a pocket worry me. I don't think its gonna be bad enough that we can't finish well this year though.

I'm kindof banking on Coach Pagac to "use his players" the right way to overcome this.

7.) I'm not worried about the PUKERS. Everyone is so jazzed about them getting better cause they are getting players back off the IR. Take a close look at who they got back, then look at who they lost in FA.

The Lions on the other hand, ........Watch those DT's. Thats what DT play is all about. Get me one of those warpigs and I will be overjoyed.

There is my sales pitch. Hope your now ready to get on the 10-6/11-5 bandwagon my friend.

tarkenton10
08-31-2011, 06:01 PM
After we beat the Chargers week you, you and your kind (Pessimist) will all come join my kind (Optimist).

JK my friend. I think I am looking at it pretty logically. Your one of the better posters on here......Tell me were I'm going wrong.

From a previous post.....

There is my sales pitch. Hope your now ready to get on the 10-6/11-5 bandwagon my friend.

You are not going wrong at all evaluating our team. I am just looking at the schedule and the math doesn't add up to more than 7 wins unless we beat some very good teams.

We play terrible on the road and as a league teams traveling to the west coast teh last two years have a 10% winning percentage. so SD is a loss to me. TB is a toss up but I think we will beat them as well. Detroit is at home so I put it in the win column but I have a nagging suspicion they will sweep us this year. Kc away -lose. Arizona we beat at home then lose at chi. That will make opur record 3-3. Beat Carolina and Oak then the Pukers Sweep us again (5-5). We beat denver wash. and CHi? And lose to Atlanta Detroit and New orleans. That puts us at 8-8. However I gave us a win against both Chi and Det. I think one of those teams will sweep us probably the Bores we have had a problem with them historically. So we have to avoid a sweep of Det or Chi and Beat TB which is a toss up anyway. But then again I think KC is a toss up too. I think we can beat them in KC but the two games (KC & TB) I think we split which means 8-8 at best but Chi may sweep us so 7-9. 6-10 if det sweeps us!!

If we want to make the playoffs we have to split with our division rivals, any sweeps and we are done!!
My Friend!! (MARRDROESE)

El Vikingo
08-31-2011, 06:03 PM
First season I dont really have great expectations,I said and explained in another thread than winning more than 6 games would surprise me,we really have tons of ?Ņ this season.

Btw Marrdro,could you name some other "optimist" besides you? I havent seen anyone actually

tarkenton10
08-31-2011, 06:07 PM
Marty,

It was pre-season.

Watch the games for what they are. Staffs working on certain things to see how they will work or looking at players to see how they function in certain roles.

I think we need to bring Favre back and we could win it all!! B)B) B) B) B)

Marrdro
08-31-2011, 06:15 PM
You are not going wrong at all evaluating our team. I am just looking at the schedule and the math doesn't add up to more than 7 wins unless we beat some very good teams.

If we want to make the playoffs we ahve to split with our division rivals, any sweeps and we aer done!!
My Friend!! (MARRDROESE)

As always, good stuff. Especially that one. Cracked me up. ;)

We play terrible on the road and as a league teams traveling to the west coast teh last two years have a 10% winning percentage. so SD is a loss to me.
Hard to counter that one, however, if you look, and I have, They sure seem to start pretty slow. Heck week one, last 4 games, they split at home and away in the W/L collumn.

I will caveate that they they look pretty damn good this year. Maybe the "Slow" start thing is in the past.

TB is a toss up but I think we will lose to them as well.
Only thing I see here is a team that had a good record last year, against not so good teams. Mix in the small tidbit of how much money they had to spend and didn't make any upgrades that might help them get over the hump.

I will agree, a tossup, but I am leaning to us.

Detroit is at home so I put it in the win column but I have a nagging suspicion they will sweep us this year.
This is a hard one (two) that I've struggled with. I think we eventually win both, mostly cause I think that they didn't fix their running game and their OL is still gonna make it hard to keep their QB on his feet.

Kc away -lose. Arizona we beat at home then lose at chi. Beat Carolina and Oak then
I can't remember, but I think I'm close with you on this, however, I think we win at KC as well.

the Pukers Sweep us again.
Not gonna happen. Split. They didn't adjust for the loss of Jenkins and I still say they have OL issues especially when it comes to the running game (which could be attibuted to their RB's).

We beat denver wash. and CHi? And lose to Atlanta Detroit and New orleans.
I'm worried about Wash but still call that a W. Detroit will be done by then, atleast their offense will be.

That puts us at 8-8. However I gave us a game against both Chi and Det. I think one of those teams will sweep us probably the Bores we have had a prblem with tem historically. So we have to avoid a sweep of Det or Chi and Beat TB which is a toss y=up anyway but I think KC is a toss up too. I think we can beat them in KC but the KC & TB games I think we split which means 8-8 at best but Chi may sweep us so 7-9.
I need to go dig up my breakdown that got us to 10-6/11-5 for ya.

Marrdro
08-31-2011, 06:16 PM
First season I dont really have great expectations,I said and explained in another thread than winning more than 6 games would surprise me,we really have tons of ?Ņ this season.

Btw Marrdro,could you name some other "optimist" besides you? I havent seen anyone actually
The wagon is pretty empty my friend.

Not to worry, I'm not afraid to take a stance all by myself. Been known to do it a time or two. ;)

thorshammer
08-31-2011, 09:16 PM
Been a Vikings fan since day one. Saying the same thing I say every year. My expectation is that the Vikings will make the playoffs. I don't think the team is in that bad of shape this year. We still have some excellent players. If a couple of guys step up we could surprise a few teams......gotta go the white coats are coming. Skol.

Freakout
08-31-2011, 10:30 PM
I definitely believe they can be.

This team has some very dynamic pieces on offense that will finally be utilized fully. For the last 4 years we played at a disadvantage due to our inept coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball. We allowed teams to key in on stopping AD due to our passive playcalling.

Chilly and Bevell being gone should automatically gives us a +2 in the win column.

HardcoreVikesFan
08-31-2011, 11:09 PM
I think we could be a playoff team if we have continuity on the offensive side of the ball. I expect McNabb to turn it around from last season and I expect Harvin to have over 1000 yards receiving for the first time in his career. Our chances are even better because of the huge turn over margin in the NFC when it comes to new playoff teams. I know this has not always worked in our favor, especially in the last decade, but you just never know what can happen in the NFL.

Marrdro
09-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Marty,

It was pre-season.

I think we need to bring Favre back and we could win it all!! B)B) B) B) B)
QUIT IT......:lol:

Marrdro
09-01-2011, 03:12 PM
Been a Vikings fan since day one. Saying the same thing I say every year. My expectation is that the Vikings will make the playoffs. I don't think the team is in that bad of shape this year. We still have some excellent players. If a couple of guys step up we could surprise a few teams......gotta go the white coats are coming. Skol.
Marrdro can be seen checking his spreadsheets.......Yup, another good poster we haven' seen much of.

JK, my friend. Glad to see your avatar again. We need more positive cats on here as I feel like I'm surrounded by naysayers.;)

Marrdro
09-01-2011, 03:14 PM
I definitely believe they can be.

This team has some very dynamic pieces on offense that will finally be utilized fully. For the last 4 years we played at a disadvantage due to our inept coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball. We allowed teams to key in on stopping AD due to our passive playcalling.

Chilly and Bevell being gone should automatically gives us a +2 in the win column.
I like the attitude, but I believe we will be better, not because the coach is gone, but rather, as with 09, we have a healthy team, which we didn't have in 10.

Mix in a couple of new wrinkles/twists, along with basically the same offense and we will be a tough team to beat.

On a side note, I am worried about our DT position. Just haven't seen it collapsing the pocket much.

Marrdro
09-01-2011, 03:17 PM
I think we could be a playoff team if we have continuity on the offensive side of the ball. I expect McNabb to turn it around from last season and I expect Harvin to have over 1000 yards receiving for the first time in his career. Our chances are even better because of the huge turn over margin in the NFC when it comes to new playoff teams. I know this has not always worked in our favor, especially in the last decade, but you just never know what can happen in the NFL.
All good points my newfound friend.

Especially love the "Continuity" point. I think that is one aspect that is over looked alot, especially when it comes to OL play.

Watching Load, Herrera, Sully and Hutch work as one again was great to see. Mix in some really good work out of our new LT and I think most OL naysayers are going to have to take a back seat (as they did in 09).

On a side note, Keep posting like that and you will quicly climb the spreadsheets.;)

Prophet
09-01-2011, 03:19 PM
Every team in the NFL is a potential playoff team at this point in the season.

Marrdro
09-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Words of wisdom my friends. Words of wisdom.

Zeus
09-01-2011, 03:32 PM

But the potentiality for some is much greater than others.

=Z=

Marrdro
09-01-2011, 04:14 PM
The 2009 season was full of limited expectations. After 2009 went as well as possible, the 2010 preseason discussion was centered around the Vikings and how they were bound to be the 2011 Super Bowl champions.

Well, the experts had the right division selected (NFC North) but they had the wrong team in mindóas we all know Minnesota's division rival, the Green Bay Packers, won the Super Bowl.

The 2011 season could be a great season for Minnesota. It also could be a repeat of the 2010 campaign when everything fell apart.

Here are five keys that will make or break Minnesota's 2011 campaign.

Minnesota Vikings Predictions: 5 Keys to the 2011 Season (Bleacher Report) (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/828676-minnesota-vikings-predictions-5-keys-to-the-2011-season)

tarkenton10
09-01-2011, 05:20 PM
This spreadsheet that is ballywhooed about where is it and where am I on this important document? :woohoo:

Marrdro
09-01-2011, 05:27 PM
This spreadsheet that is ballywhooed about where is it and where am I on this important document? :woohoo:
LOL, with 1616 posts, I am sure you are aware that there are many such spreadsheets, that cover a myriad of topics related to football, PPO and life in general that I maintain.

Suffice it to say, you are on most, and your rankings are significantly above the PPO average my friend. ;)

Zeus
09-01-2011, 05:32 PM
LOL, with 1616 posts, I am sure you are aware that there are many such spreadsheets, that cover a myriad of topics related to football, PPO and life in general that I maintain.

Suffice it to say, you are on most, and your rankings are significantly above the PPO average my friend. ;)

The spreadsheets are overrated.

=Z=

Purple Floyd
09-01-2011, 06:05 PM

Spreadsheets tremble at the mere mention of the name Purple Floyd.

Marrdro
09-01-2011, 06:39 PM

By the way, all spreadsheets have been updated. Suprisingly, PF and you know who were on the same ones and at about the same rankings.

Go figure huh. :whistle:

i_bleed_purple
09-01-2011, 06:47 PM

By the way, all spreadsheets have been updated. Suprisingly, PF and you know who were on the same ones and at about the same rankings.

Go figure huh. :whistle:

Lord Voldemort?

tarkenton10
09-01-2011, 07:09 PM

I would like to see them so I may know and work on my weaknesses so I can be the best poster with the limited abilities that I have. And I am very limited in the emoticons catagory since I can't make them work at all. Do you weight your assessments or is there a sliding curve or am I doomed to be graded on my god given gifts. I think I may cry never mind!!

My friend (Marrdroese)

Marrdro
09-01-2011, 07:09 PM
Lord Voldemort?
LOL, no. :laugh:

HardcoreVikesFan
09-01-2011, 09:21 PM
All good points my newfound friend.

Especially love the "Continuity" point. I think that is one aspect that is over looked alot, especially when it comes to OL play.

Watching Load, Herrera, Sully and Hutch work as one again was great to see. Mix in some really good work out of our new LT and I think most OL naysayers are going to have to take a back seat (as they did in 09).

On a side note, Keep posting like that and you will quicly climb the spreadsheets.;)

Thanks! Just trying to earn any weight around here!

Traveling_Vike
09-02-2011, 09:09 PM
It's always possible. You never know what's going to happen during any given season. But if the Vikings are going to make it into the playoffs, they will need some help. There are too many good tams in the NFC right now, and some of them will have to falter in order for us to ascend.

I'm 99+% certain that it's going to take a 10-6 finish to make it this yea. 9-7 won't do it. Tough division works against us for tiebreaks. If we don't go .500 or better in the NFCN, we're toast.

IMO, as I stated in other threads, those four NFCS games will be the key to our season. Win three of them, and we have a shot, because not only does it bring us up, but it knocks them down at the same time. That division is the real threat to our wildcard hopes. The West sends only their divisional champ (likely the Rams), and the East will probably beat each other up much like we will in the North. If, as expected, Atlanta wins the South, we'll need to crush Tampa Bay and New Orleans on our way.

Assume that one wildcard comes out of the East, whichever of the Eagles or Giants doesn't win the division. That leaves only one spot between the Bucs, Saints, Bears, Lions, and us, plus just maybe the Cowboys or Cardinals, but I doubt it.

So... barring a division title (which seems unlikely but would be our best shot), we need to finish 10-6, second in the North, with wins over the Bucs and Saints. On top of that, we need other people to beat down those two along with the Giants and Eagles. That's a tall order.

Odds of our making it into the post-season are slim at best. But I won't rule it out. The Packers might collapse horribly, leaving the North up for grabs. You just never know.