PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten man Berrian looks for bigger role

singersp
08-29-2011, 12:12 PM
Forgotten man Berrian looks for bigger role with McNabb, Vikings this season

Bernard Berrian seemed to disappear from the Minnesota Vikings offense last season, ignored by quarterback Brett Favre and overshadowed by Percy Harvin and Sidney Rice.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/forgotten-man-berrian-looks-for-bigger-role-with-mcnabb-vikings-this-season/2011/08/28/gIQAHIZClJ_story.html

singersp
08-29-2011, 12:25 PM
There's a reason he was ignored by Favre. He also wasn't overshadowed by Rice for 10 of those games last year either.

He hasn't been consistent enough & good enough to merit the attention as of late. He is however, the only Vikings receiver to catch a TD pass this preseason.

If he wants to get the attention he wants, he has to consistently make those grabs & not trip over his shoelaces.

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 03:19 PM
There was a certain yutz on here who kept saying that our WR corps only worked good when it had all of its pieces.

Heck, it was the same yutz who continually said the Berrian was pretty good when he was used to run 7, 8 and 9 routes, but wasn't very good trying to be used in the shorter routes when Harvin and Rice were out.

Guess what, we saw BB, Jenkins and Harvin (all 3 pieces of the WR corps) on the field for the first time this weekend with Berrian being used in the role that he is best suited to be used in, with him looking like he did pre 2009/2010.

Didnt' see the game but my guess is you saw Berrian running 7, 8 and 9 routes, Jenkins running 4, 5, 6, and 7 routes and Harvin running 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 routes with BB getting open.

Maybe that yutz was right.....:whistle:

BleedinPandG
08-29-2011, 03:24 PM
*thinks even a broken watch is right twice a day*... just saying's all...

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 03:30 PM
LOL, well played my friend. Well played indeed.

Again, I haven't seen the game, so I'm not sure, but I even read a couple of things that said BB was actually taken 2 defenders with him on almost every route, including that one.

Been a few on here that said they would bring Moss back just to do that very same thing.:whistle:

BleedinPandG
08-29-2011, 03:41 PM
Berrian played fairly well... he did look like he was getting Safety help over the top... I was happy to see him get some actual separation from a defender, McNabb wasn't making great throws (the TD was badly underthrown and should have been D'd).

The question with BB is simply how long til he tweaks his hammie again... we all know once he does that he's an average wideout with below average speed and no separation ability.

I'd like to see Harvin catching some more passes in the middle of the field, he didn't get targeted much by McNabb.

Also love the 3 TE set, I think we'll see some great runs and screens out of that formation. It looks just plain scary when they line it up.

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 03:48 PM
Berrian played fairly well... he did look like he was getting Safety help over the top... I was happy to see him get some actual separation from a defender, McNabb wasn't making great throws (the TD was badly underthrown and should have been D'd).

The question with BB is simply how long til he tweaks his hammie again... we all know once he does that he's an average wideout with below average speed and no separation ability.

I'd like to see Harvin catching some more passes in the middle of the field, he didn't get targeted much by McNabb.

Also love the 3 TE set, I think we'll see some great runs and screens out of that formation. It looks just plain scary when they line it up.
Again, haven't seen the game, but the ones that I have seen have revealed that the staff has a agenda (stuff they want to work on). So far we haven't really seen them stretching the field as most of the work has been done to the short stuff.

Judging by the stat sheet, we saw 8 players have receptions that were in the double digits with respect to yardage with 2 in the 40's, 3 in the 20's and 3 in the teens.

Couple of those cats weren't on the field with the ones so I assume the backup QB's were working on the same things so the staff could look at the entire picture (QB-accuracy, RB-protection, OL-protection, WR-routes, TE-blocking/routes) when it comes to the longer stuff.

gregair13
08-30-2011, 12:43 AM
Berrian sucks so badly. I stand by that point until he gets 1000yards and 10 tds.

singersp
08-30-2011, 01:46 AM
Berrian sucks so badly. I stand by that point until he gets 1000yards and 10 tds.

He's caught a grand total of 4 balls this preseason. Dropped how many? Caught a 5yd, 7yd, 15yd & a gift 49yd (it could have been easily knocked away) & Marty thinks we have a born again Bernard Berrian deep threat machine. LOL!

MulletMullitia
08-30-2011, 01:49 AM
I'm not a Berrian fan by any stretch of the imagination. But his chemistry with McNabb is making me a little optimistic about his upcoming season. They seem to be meshing on and off the field. He will unquestionably have some frustrating drops this year (as he always does), but he will have some big plays too. Although I seriously doubt that he will ever have 1000 yards or 10 TDs.

gregair13
08-30-2011, 01:51 AM
I'm not a Berrian fan by any stretch of the imagination. But his chemistry with McNabb is making me a little optimistic about his upcoming season. They seem to be meshing on and off the field. He will unquestionably have some frustrating drops this year (as he always does), but he will have some big plays too. Although I seriously doubt that he will ever have 1000 yards or 10 TDs.
Then he will suck forever.

singersp
08-30-2011, 01:54 AM

Optimism usually comes back to bite us Vikings fans in the ass.

No great expectations, no great disappointments.

gregair13
08-30-2011, 02:35 AM
Optimism usually comes back to bite us Vikings fans in the ass.

No great expectations, no great disappointments.

+1

Purple Floyd
08-30-2011, 03:03 AM
LOL, well played my friend. Well played indeed.

Again, I haven't seen the game, so I'm not sure, but I even read a couple of things that said BB was actually taken 2 defenders with him on almost every route, including that one.

Been a few on here that said they would bring Moss back just to do that very same thing.:whistle:

Hell, with our WR corpse they probably figure they could even triple Berrian and not have to worry about the other guy.

i_bleed_purple
08-30-2011, 04:12 AM
Hell, with our WR corpse

You must be referring to the age of Jenkins perhaps?

Purple Floyd
08-30-2011, 12:38 PM
Hell, with our WR corpse

No, it's my Marrdroesque title for the group as a whole until they show some life. :laugh:

Marrdro
08-30-2011, 01:23 PM

He's caught a grand total of 4 balls this preseason. Dropped how many? Caught a 5yd, 7yd, 15yd & a gift 49yd (it could have been easily knocked away) & Marty thinks we have a born again Bernard Berrian deep threat machine. LOL!
Show me one place were I said that.

All I'm saying is that we seem to have a pretty effective WR corps this year regardless of what a certain "Negative Nancy" wants to believe.

Gonna be very effective with the 13 sets (1 RB/3 TE's) we will be running all season long.

Anyone who thinks otherwise didn't watch the Dallas game very closely. Took Mayock into the second quarter before he mentioned a 13 set but the ran a bunch of it all through the first quarter and the offense looked damn good doing it.

Marrdro
08-30-2011, 01:24 PM
Hell, with our WR corpse

No, it's my Marrdroesque title for the group as a whole until they show some life. :laugh:
You crack me up my friend. ;)

Marrdro
08-30-2011, 01:37 PM
Good stuff my friend.

One thing about drops, every reciever drops a few. I think alot of people are over sensitized to it on here because of a certain 1rst round pick that was pretty much a bust.

On a side note, he had over 900 in 2007 and 2008 with 7 TD's in 2008 with Gus and TJ throwing to him. I don't think its out of the question that he won't crack a grand this year and even get 10 TD's.

singersp
08-30-2011, 02:16 PM

All I'm saying is that we seem to have a pretty effective WR corps this year regardless of what a certain "Negative Nancy" wants to believe.

Gonna be very effective with the 13 sets (1 RB/3 TE's) we will be running all season long.

Anyone who thinks otherwise didn't watch the Dallas game very closely. Took Mayock into the second quarter before he mentioned a 13 set but the ran a bunch of it all through the first quarter and the offense looked damn good doing it.

We'll see. Call me what you want, but I don't see as an elite a WR corp as you do.

Love Harvin, like our TE's, but am not sold on Berrian or Jenkins yet. Let's not forget Berrian dropped at least two passes that game also.
Let's also wait and see if they can produce in more than just the Dallas game before we crown them.

Dallas was 23rd in passing yards given up & haven't moved out of the spot yet. To give you a point of reference, the Vikings were 8th in that category last year & 17th this preseason.

You can praise our WR's all you want for catching a few balls against a backfield that much worse than ours, but the proof will be in how we do against better teams.

singersp
08-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Good stuff my friend.

One thing about drops, every reciever drops a few. I think alot of people are over sensitized to it on here because of a certain 1rst round pick that was pretty much a bust.

On a side note, he had over 900 in 2007 and 2008 with 7 TD's in 2008 with Gus and TJ throwing to him. I don't think its out of the question that he won't crack a grand this year and even get 10 TD's.

Dropping a few is one thing, dropping half is quite another.

Marrdro
08-30-2011, 02:46 PM

We'll see. Call me what you want, but I don't see as an elite a WR corp as you do.

Love Harvin, like our TE's, but am not sold on Berrian or Jenkins yet. Let's not forget Berrian dropped at least two passes that game also.
Let's also wait and see if they can produce in more than just the Dallas game before we crown them.

Dallas was 23rd in passing yards given up & haven't moved out of the spot yet. To give you a point of reference, the Vikings were 8th in that category last year & 17th this preseason.

You can praise our WR's all you want for catching a few balls against a backfield that much worse than ours, but the proof will be in how we do against better teams.
Show me were I said elite?

Watch the Dallas game. We just aren't gonna need a elite WR corps my friend.

Atleast not at first. By the time the Bye rolls around you'll see what I mean about how they fit into the puzzle my friend.

Purple Floyd
08-30-2011, 02:52 PM

Show me were I said elite?

Watch the Dallas game. We just aren't gonna need a elite WR corps my friend.

Atleast not at first. By the time the Bye rolls around you'll see what I mean about how they fit into the puzzle my friend.

I am still waiting to have you show me how the guys chilly brought in would fit into the puzzle. How did that go again?

Zeus
08-30-2011, 03:38 PM
Good stuff my friend.

Not every incomplete pass which was thrown at a receiver is a drop, dude.

=Z=

Marrdro
08-30-2011, 05:08 PM
Good stuff my friend.

Something we can agree on.....