PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys @ Vikings -Preseason Week 3- Post Game

VikesFan787
08-28-2011, 05:17 AM
Saw this hasn't been started yet.

I think Peterson is back in full swing. Every time he touched the ball I thought he was gone.

McNabb I thought also looked well. Still has a rocket. Still shaking some rust off.

Booker is the fastest man alive.

i_bleed_purple
08-28-2011, 05:23 AM
I missed most of the game, but I hope to re-watch it soon.

From what I saw (halftime and on, alternating between that and a movie that was on tv(watched game from laptop)):

McNabb looks sharp, OL is improving every week. Run game seems to be going well. Defense is a little iffy at times, gotta step up against the run game and play your gaps.

Webb.... the man. Wanna see alot of him.

Ponder: For the second consecutive time, when he had the ball down by a score with less than two minutes, he couldn't do it. Granted, he's a rook, I don't expect much really, but for a guy that's the "most NFL ready", and according to some here, the second coming of christ, I'd love to see some actual real good flashes. He's made good throws, good reads, good progression, but he's about what I expected at this point. Not ready to lead an NFL team.

NodakPaul
08-28-2011, 05:39 AM
McNabb manage to look good and bad. I was happy with his performance, but I fear that we are going to have a lot of highs and lows with him this year. That INT was a very bad decision and throw. I liked the air out to Berrian, even with the near pick. Had it been picked, it was early enough in the game, and deep enough in Dallas territory that it would have been recoverable. It was the right time to take the risk, and the reward was a TD and momentum.

AD is in regular season form. Loved it.

Defense looked good - better than I expected.

Charlie Johnson had a decent game.

Ponder looked like a rookie, which is fine - because he is a rookie. I am glad that we have a veteran in place to mentor him. I still think he will be a good QB, but it would have been a train wreck if we would had rushed him into it.

Webb had a great game. I need to go back and look at his actual throws because I didn't get a good look at them at MOA field. From what I saw I was happy - amazing what a year can do. (Another reason I am glad Ponder isn't rushed into it).

Refs were in preseason form. I need to go back and look at a couple of calls that seemed pretty questionable live.

Blocked FG for a TD? Seriously. And it looked to me like the Dallas guy kicked it toward the endzone with his foot while trying to recover - I thought that was a penalty... guess not, although Frazier was pretty upset with the refs about something after that play...

All in all, there was a lot more positives than negatives this game.

Prophet
08-28-2011, 11:29 AM
I am sick of the off/non-regular season. Bring on the real games. I have had a long enough hiatus from real football.

Caine
08-28-2011, 02:00 PM
I am sick of the off/non-regular season. Bring on the real games. I have had a long enough hiatus from real football.
+1

NordicNed
08-28-2011, 02:04 PM
I didn't get to watch the game, so I have to take what I can, from post here. Reads more positive and bad for us though...I, also, can't wait for the regular season to start. I'm also happy to be visiting the States, till 19th of Sept, so I can enjoy some early season games here.

rednorsk
08-28-2011, 02:25 PM
The secondary could have stayed home, they are a disaster.:angry:

Minniman
08-28-2011, 03:10 PM
With no new impact players, what should we expect?

The Vikings basically have the same players in the same system.

singersp
08-28-2011, 03:20 PM

Minus Madieu Williams.

If the Vikings don't replace a player they let go with a better player, they've done nothing to improve the position & possibly made it worse.

Time will tell if Griffin can play at the same level he did before the injury. If not, our already not so great backfield gets even worse.

GQVikesFanLV
08-28-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm all for giving the young guys a shot but if we don't solidify our secondary then we will be in deep sh**. I keep toying with the idea of giving Darren Sharper another shot.. Other than him, who else is out there?

VikesFan787
08-28-2011, 03:54 PM
Marcus Sherels will be good.

kevoncox
08-28-2011, 04:01 PM

What are you talking about. The Secondary played great. The problem was the MLBs. Herron was terrible. All of the passes to Dez Bryant were in his zone. EJ struggled as well. Outside of that, I don't remember a long pass play given up by the secondary. Hell, we even had some pass breakups...something we never get.

HEY
08-28-2011, 04:09 PM
This was a fun game to watch. Perhaps the best of the three games so far and I ended up with a lot of conclusions:

Adrian Peterson - He's back and I love it! He couldn't have started the game any better. I saw two or three incidents where he made a split second decision and cut back to the outside that were bad decisions, but he clearly looked hungry and wanted to get in the end-zone. They will probably sit down and talk about that in the film room. Even considered that, he put on a great performance, averaging nearly 6 yards per carry.

Percy Harvin and Lorenzo Booker - They are similar in many ways and I feel that Booker is taking some of Harvin's ball-time, but he's doing a good job so why not? Both did good.

Wide receivers - I'm impressed of these guys making big plays every week. I'm talking about Jenkins, Aromashodu and Arceneaux. They all show that the have the potential to line up on the outside. Also, Berrian was impressive this week and Iglesias is also doing a good job. Based on the preseason games, I definitely think that we'll keep Harvin, Jenkins and Berrian... and likely Aromashodu. Iglesias and Arceneaux will fight for the last spot. Camarillo has unfortunately shown nothing thus far.

Fullbacks - Not impressed by the blocking of either D'Imperio or Matt Asiata. They might be good runners or pass-catcher, but that doesn't help much when the fullbacks primary job is to block. We might be "Full Of Options At Fullback", but there aren't any great options. Maybe we should just go with Dugan.

All the quarterbacks - Showed nice signs for the season to come. Mayock talked about using Joe Webb in the wildcat and I couldn't agree more, at least when he's likely going to be the third string QB. We need to get that playmaker on the field! Ponder got little time on the field, but I liked what I saw in the last minute. It almost looked like he was going to pull of a last minute comeback win.

All the linebackers - I like where this is going. E.J. and Chad are playing like them old self and Erin is far from standing in their shadows. The backup is not very impressive considering we have a little injury bug going on there. The big Jonathan Gilmore is an impressive stature, but that's not enough to make this team. He has yet to make a big play.

Brian Robison - I watched him a little extra closely this time and I was impressed. I even did a better job against the run than the pass (from what I remember). I'm not concerned about our right side at all. Robison is good and Griffin will serve as an excellent rotation.

Kyle Rudolp - All I said during the game was: "I want to see more!" He has shown a pair of very impressive pass-catching hands, but I want to see more passes go his way. Maybe he had trouble getting separations. That's not a good thing, but I don't question his quickness as he's fast for his size.

HEY
08-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Oh yeah... and I forgot:

Cedric Griffin - Man it was good to see this guy back in action again, if only for an half or so. Him and Winfield make a great physical cornerback duo.

I smell a possible "Comeback of the Year" lurking... :)

Freya
08-28-2011, 04:15 PM

Minus Madieu Williams.

If the Vikings don't replace a player they let go with a better player, they've done nothing to improve the position & possibly made it worse.

Time will tell if Griffin can play at the same level he did before the injury. If not, our already not so great backfield gets even worse.

I am hoping that he will play at a level much higher than his pre-injury level.........which wasn't terribly impressive to begin with.

Freya
08-28-2011, 04:23 PM
I thought that the first team offense played quite well together ( I like seeing Berrian produce)...my biggest gripe on the line was Loadholt.

Oh, and I HATE zone defense......still. But the line looked ok even without KWill. I'm liking Robison.

delviking
08-28-2011, 04:39 PM
no it'll go to plax for getting outta jail lol

but griffin is showing no fear out there and thats what i wanted to see. all the talent in the world mean nothing without the will to use it.

M.williams never seemed to come back with that aggression after his neck injury.

a reply to HEY about C. griffin.

singersp
08-28-2011, 04:48 PM
Oh yeah... and I forgot:

Cedric Griffin - Man it was good to see this guy back in action again, if only for an half or so. Him and Winfield make a great physical cornerback duo.

I smell a possible "Comeback of the Year" lurking... :)

no it'll go to plax for getting outta jail lol

+1

Freakout
08-28-2011, 04:55 PM
I really liked what I saw offensively from the starting unit. If tonight showed anything it was that Musgrave is going to keep defenses on their heels. A lot of misdirection type of calls. We moved the ball pretty well and would have been better had Gerhart played.

Defense was a mixed bag. I still want to see more QB pressure but the run defense looks pretty solid. Ced needs to hit the film and correct those mistakes. He was just allowing too much space at times on those slants.

Sadly I expect teams to pick us apart in the middle of the field like they always do. With no change at LB and S (Erin is unproven in coverage) I can't see us improving much in that area.

I still have high hopes for this team as long as they protect the damn ball.

skum
08-28-2011, 06:56 PM
Glad that we had a block field goal returned for a touchdown, because now everyone will have their eyes on that and won't allow that trick to happen again..

Love the pre-season.

Mark_The_Viking
08-28-2011, 07:08 PM
I too liked the first teams but have to agree that Loadholt looked awful on quite a few plays getting beat on the outside all too easily for my money.

I am a little more confident about this season today than I was yesterday

STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES
08-28-2011, 07:10 PM
Glad that we had a block field goal returned for a touchdown, because now everyone will have their eyes on that and won't allow that trick to happen again..

Love the pre-season.

That was against us, no reason to be happy about something that should never happen.

20 was the player that blocked it and he ended up getting carted off, and came back maybe 10/15 minutes later.

Longwell is on his legs, and we need to be going another direction next year. He hit from 47, missed from 53. That tells me that his range, even indoors is around 47 or 48. That 53 yard attempt was at least 8 yards short.

skum
08-28-2011, 07:18 PM

Love the pre-season.

That was against us, no reason to be happy about something that should never happen.

20 was the player that blocked it and he ended up getting carted off, and came back maybe 10/15 minutes later.

Longwell is on his legs, and we need to be going another direction next year. He hit from 47, missed from 53. That tells me that his range, even indoors is around 47 or 48. That 53 yard attempt was at least 8 yards short.

If it was to happen, glad it happened in the pre-season, that was my point.. Its only gonna call for more focus in those situations.

marstc09
08-28-2011, 07:37 PM

Love the pre-season.

LMFAO! He misses 1 FG from 53 and now he is on his last leg. Child please. He is still money. How the hell do you claim a range after that? He can still boot a 53. Just made a bad connection. Not a big deal at all. I am sure Marrdro will try to spin it like you too.

marstc09
08-28-2011, 07:52 PM
Not too much to say about the game. Couple things though.

1. Musgrave is the real deal. He mixes things up and makes it hard to guess run or pass. A HUGE improvement over the predictable offense of last year. I am sure he has more up his sleeve too. I loved the 3 TE bunch he used. I am so thrilled with this guy so far.

2. D'Imperio is a huge improvement over Tahi. I saw him make some great blocks out there. Marrdro can make all the excuses he wants for Tahi about the direction of FBs in the league and Tahi this and that.....but D'Imperio is going to be a great FB for us. Watched him a lot last night. I like what I see.

3. I love the way McNabb hands off the ball. My one knock on Favre was that he never disguised his hand offs. McNabb does a great job doing this.

4. Bernard had a good night but it was only one preseason game. He needs to prove a lot more. Hell he almost dropped that first TD pass and I think he dropped another.

5. I thought our D played well against the 1st team. The bloked kicked sucked by it was a fluke IMO. Kinda looked like he used the defender to jump and kicked the ball but oh well.

6. Peterson looked ready. McNabb looked solid. I am excited to see what they can do this year. Jenkins has showed he can be reliable and I like that kid Arceneaux. Hell even th OL looked good. McNabb had all day at times.

7. Who says we are thin at DT? HAHAHAHA Marrdro? This squad is good and KW did not even play! Remi, Evans, Guion, Ballard are all solid and I have no problem with any of them starting. DE looked solid. LBs are solid. CBs have impressed me. Safeties the jury is still out on but I think they will survive.

I am so ready for San Diego!

slavinator
08-28-2011, 09:14 PM

1. Musgrave is the real deal. He mixes things up and makes it hard to guess run or pass. A HUGE improvement over the predictable offense of last year. I am sure he has more up his sleeve too. I loved the 3 TE bunch he used. I am so thrilled with this guy so far.

2. D'Imperio is a huge improvement over Tahi. I saw him make some great blocks out there. Marrdro can make all the excuses he wants for Tahi about the direction of FBs in the league and Tahi this and that.....but D'Imperio is going to be a great FB for us. Watched him a lot last night. I like what I see.

3. I love the way McNabb hands off the ball. My one knock on Favre was that he never disguised his hand offs. McNabb does a great job doing this.

4. Bernard had a good night but it was only one preseason game. He needs to prove a lot more. Hell he almost dropped that first TD pass and I think he dropped another.

5. I thought our D played well against the 1st team. The bloked kicked sucked by it was a fluke IMO. Kinda looked like he used the defender to jump and kicked the ball but oh well.

6. Peterson looked ready. McNabb looked solid. I am excited to see what they can do this year. Jenkins has showed he can be reliable and I like that kid Arceneaux. Hell even th OL looked good. McNabb had all day at times.

7. Who says we are thin at DT? HAHAHAHA Marrdro? This squad is good and KW did not even play! Remi, Evans, Guion, Ballard are all solid and I have no problem with any of them starting. DE looked solid. LBs are solid. CBs have impressed me. Safeties the jury is still out on but I think they will survive.

I echo your sentiment as well Mars. I was very impressed by the play calling and the various mismatches we were able to get via formation and personnell sets.

Adrian looks as though he is running with purpose. I am amazed at how much speed and power he hits the hole with.

HEY
08-28-2011, 09:18 PM

Good post and good point on Musgrave! I like this offensive playcalling more than previous years for sure. Will be interesting to see how it is in the regular season. I don't know why you're so high on D'Imperio, but maybe I missed something.

STCLOUDSAYSGOVIKES
08-28-2011, 09:57 PM

Love the pre-season.

LMFAO! He misses 1 FG from 53 and now he is on his last leg. Child please. He is still money. How the hell do you claim a range after that? He can still boot a 53. Just made a bad connection. Not a big deal at all. I am sure Marrdro will try to spin it like you too.

I was at the game, and saw how short it landed. It took 2 bounces before it rolled to the goal post. Also, cowboys had a running start nearly every kickoff. Obviously from 53 he needs to keep the ball low to get it there, and he didn't do that.

I also thought there were a few chances the vikes should have gone for it on 4th down. It was encouraging to see they went for it on 4th and 5 late in the game, more importantly it worked.

MulletMullitia
08-28-2011, 10:33 PM
@TomPelissero:

Watching back the tape. I'm beginning to wonder if coaches actually instruct Ryan D'Imperio to run aimlessly downfield on every lead play.

HEY
08-28-2011, 10:50 PM
@TomPelissero:

Watching back the tape. I'm beginning to wonder if coaches actually instruct Ryan D'Imperio to run aimlessly downfield on every lead play.
See! That's what I was talking about. Glad to see I'm not the only one. Don't know why marstc09 said he looked "great" out there yesterday. He had too many plays where he was just non-existent in the run game.

Why can't we just pick up a big mean old school no-neck fullback? Instead, we have two tight ends (Dugan and Kleinsasser), a 2nd year converted linebacker (D'Imperio), and a rookie halfback (Asiata). Might as well just drop carrying a fullback this year.

MulletMullitia
08-28-2011, 11:00 PM
I still can't believe that we lost this game. We totally outplayed the Cowboys in every quarter. But that blocked FG was a 10 point swing in the wrong direction. Here are my thoughts on the individual players and positions that stuck out:

Donovan McNabb:

Very impressed with Donovan. He looked comfortable in the offense. And I think we will kill teams with the play-action this year. He made a couple questionable decisions, but other than that, he played awesome. And I'm really not concerned about his decision making going forward. He has the 3rd best TD-INT ratio in NFL history. I'm a lot more worried about fumbles than interceptions. He may have lost a step speed-wise, but his arm strength is all there. The way Ponder has looked, I wish we would have signed him to a longer contract than 1 year.

Adrian Peterson:

This guy is so special. He looks as explosive as ever. And it's really a crime that Greenway is going to get a contract before him. He is a future hall of famer, and deserves to be paid as such. I thought he was going to break for the endzone on every single play last night. Hopefully he can keep up that 6 yards per carry this season! Although it will likely be closer to 5 yards per carry. Pay the man!

Michael Jenkins:

I was very skeptical of this signing, but he fits our scheme perfectly. And he really impressed me last night. He is faster than I thought he would be, and he makes great adjustments on the ball.

Bernard Berrian:

Quickly becoming McNabb's favorite target. Maybe he can revive his career. Not only was McNabb targeting him on the field, but they were talking to each other on the sidelines the whole game. I love the chemistry there so far.

Fullback:

I'm not as optimistic as a lot of you at FB. I thought D'Imperio looked pretty clueless out there. He isn't any worse than Tahi, but he's not any better either. But he is learning a new position, so I don't want to be too hard on him. I hope he improves! If not, we might as well start Jimmy K or Dugan.

O-Line:

Nobody here has ripped the O-line here as much as I have. I thought they would ruin our season. But they really looked great last night. I loved the schemes that Jeff Davidson put together. Here in my hometown of Indianapolis, Howard Mudd turned a bunch of no-name lineman into a very respectable line because of his good schemes. And they kept Peyton Manning healthy for the better part of a decade. I'm hoping that Davidson can do the same thing here in Minnesota. We don't have the most talented line, but maybe he can utilize what we have with great schemes.

Defensive Line:

Couldn't look any better. Oh wait, Kevin Williams isn't playing? :lol: I have no worries at all with these guys. We are still a force on the defensive line, and we finally have depth at the position. Hopefully we can get some pressure on QBs this year to save our secondary.

Linebackers:

I am really worried about our depth here. I love what I've seen so far from Erin Henderson. But, I also saw Herron out there with the first team. Our depth is scary bad. I wish we would try Jasper Brinkley more at the outside positions for depth purposes. Not a liability as much as our secondary, but this could hurt us this season.

Secondary:

Looked fine last night, but there were lots of blown coverages as usual. I almost cried when I saw that Winfield was hurt. Thank god he is okay! I really wish we would sign Kelvin Hayden. Our depth is terrible, and we can't afford to get any worse at these positions. Sherels shows some flashes in a pan, but I still wouldn't feel comfortable seeing him getting lots of playing time already. Chris Cook didn't look great last night either.

All in all, I was very impressed last night. With our offense especially. But our depth on defense is giving me lots of worries. Can't wait to see the 4th game, and get this season started! I'm a lot more optimistic than I have been lately. Our offense is going to score lots of points. And with this new offensive strategy, I think AD is going to have a career year. He will carry us to 10 wins and a wildcard playoff appearance.

HEY
08-29-2011, 01:12 AM
I still can't believe that we lost this game. We totally outplayed the Cowboys in every quarter. But that blocked FG was a 10 point swing in the wrong direction. Here are my thoughts on the individual players and positions that stuck out:

Donovan McNabb:

Very impressed with Donovan. He looked comfortable in the offense. And I think we will kill teams with the play-action this year. He made a couple questionable decisions, but other than that, he played awesome. And I'm really not concerned about his decision making going forward. He has the 3rd best TD-INT ratio in NFL history. I'm a lot more worried about fumbles than interceptions. He may have lost a step speed-wise, but his arm strength is all there. The way Ponder has looked, I wish we would have signed him to a longer contract than 1 year.

Adrian Peterson:

This guy is so special. He looks as explosive as ever. And it's really a crime that Greenway is going to get a contract before him. He is a future hall of famer, and deserves to be paid as such. I thought he was going to break for the endzone on every single play last night. Hopefully he can keep up that 6 yards per carry this season! Although it will likely be closer to 5 yards per carry. Pay the man!

Michael Jenkins:

I was very skeptical of this signing, but he fits our scheme perfectly. And he really impressed me last night. He is faster than I thought he would be, and he makes great adjustments on the ball.

Bernard Berrian:

Quickly becoming McNabb's favorite target. Maybe he can revive his career. Not only was McNabb targeting him on the field, but they were talking to each other on the sidelines the whole game. I love the chemistry there so far.

Fullback:

I'm not as optimistic as a lot of you at FB. I thought D'Imperio looked pretty clueless out there. He isn't any worse than Tahi, but he's not any better either. But he is learning a new position, so I don't want to be too hard on him. I hope he improves! If not, we might as well start Jimmy K or Dugan.

O-Line:

Nobody here has ripped the O-line here as much as I have. I thought they would ruin our season. But they really looked great last night. I loved the schemes that Jeff Davidson put together. Here in my hometown of Indianapolis, Howard Mudd turned a bunch of no-name lineman into a very respectable line because of his good schemes. And they kept Peyton Manning healthy for the better part of a decade. I'm hoping that Davidson can do the same thing here in Minnesota. We don't have the most talented line, but maybe he can utilize what we have with great schemes.

Defensive Line:

Couldn't look any better. Oh wait, Kevin Williams isn't playing? :lol: I have no worries at all with these guys. We are still a force on the defensive line, and we finally have depth at the position. Hopefully we can get some pressure on QBs this year to save our secondary.

Linebackers:

I am really worried about our depth here. I love what I've seen so far from Erin Henderson. But, I also saw Herron out there with the first team. Our depth is scary bad. I wish we would try Jasper Brinkley more at the outside positions for depth purposes. Not a liability as much as our secondary, but this could hurt us this season.

Secondary:

Looked fine last night, but there were lots of blown coverages as usual. I almost cried when I saw that Winfield was hurt. Thank god he is okay! I really wish we would sign Kelvin Hayden. Our depth is terrible, and we can't afford to get any worse at these positions. Sherels shows some flashes in a pan, but I still wouldn't feel comfortable seeing him getting lots of playing time already. Chris Cook didn't look great last night either.

All in all, I was very impressed last night. With our offense especially. But our depth on defense is giving me lots of worries. Can't wait to see the 4th game, and get this season started! I'm a lot more optimistic than I have been lately. Our offense is going to score lots of points. And with this new offensive strategy, I think AD is going to have a career year. He will carry us to 10 wins and a wildcard playoff appearance.
Like I should have said it myself. :) Jenkins has positively surprised me and I feel like we outplayed the Cowboys too. NFL is just unfair cause honestly, same thing happened last week, but that time we were the lucky ones. It just shows you how crucial every play is. One little slip up and it can be the difference between winning and losing, like with the blocked field goal.

MulletMullitia
08-29-2011, 04:39 AM

Donovan McNabb:

Adrian Peterson:

Michael Jenkins:

Bernard Berrian:

Fullback:

O-Line:

Defensive Line:

Linebackers:

Secondary:

Like I should have said it myself. :) Jenkins has positively surprised me and I feel like we outplayed the Cowboys too. NFL is just unfair cause honestly, same thing happened last week, but that time we were the lucky ones. It just shows you how crucial every play is. One little slip up and it can be the difference between winning and losing, like with the blocked field goal.

I look at it this way. Had Adrian Peterson played the whole game, he would have had a 150 yard game. With a couple of TDs. He was walking all over their first team defense. We corrected the special teams issue as well.

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 01:30 PM
If you don't want to get into mindless discussions with me why do you keep poking me? :whistle:

I saw him make some great blocks out there. Marrdro can make all the excuses he wants for Tahi about the direction of FBs in the league and Tahi this and that.....but D'Imperio is going to be a great FB for us. Watched him a lot last night. I like what I see.

Missed the game so I can't say one way or the other how well D'Imperio played but is sounds like your the only one who thought he did OK, and I'm not just talking about the cats on here who saw it differently.

Me thinks you don't have a clue when it comes to FB play, thats why your confused.

You need to hang around a bit more. I've been pretty high on this group since pre-season started.

Unlike you, I can change my mind and admit when I'm off a bit on a assesment of a player/group.

LOL, I see your still sticking up for ole 1/3 Shortwell. LOL Look, if the cat keeps making FG's, then he's worth keeping around. If he can't make FG's, well, he's not worth having around. No spin involved. ;)

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 01:33 PM
Ponder: For the second consecutive time, when he had the ball down by a score with less than two minutes, he couldn't do it. Granted, he's a rook, I don't expect much really, but for a guy that's the "most NFL ready", and according to some here, the second coming of christ, I'd love to see some actual real good flashes. He's made good throws, good reads, good progression, but he's about what I expected at this point. Not ready to lead an NFL team.
So I suppose your ready to call him a bust already. LOL.

Good reads..........check
Good throws.........check
Good progressions...check

Look, no one was saying this kid could come in and run a NFL team right away. What most of us (me especially) were saying is that we would understand if the staff elected to go with him. Mostly because he was coming from a system that would allow him to make good reads, good throws and get through his progressions.

Whats so hard to understand about that?:whistle:

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 01:38 PM
O-Line:

Good stuff my friend. Quick question. Was Herrera able to pull and if so was it a pull to the "A", "B" or "C" gaps? Interested to see if he was able to get out in front all the way out to the "C" gap.

Defensive Line:

Quick question. I'm suprised most on here say the DL played well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suprised they did, I'm more suprised that there weren't some comments on pressure.

The highlights I saw on ESPN and NFLN show Romo pretty much standing in a clean pocket and the one time someone got even close (JA) he was singled up and pretty much moved to the inside with Romo side stepping him a bit.

Again, didn't see the game, but it seemed to me that the big plays were the recievers (Dallas) were open, he had lots of time for them to clear the zones.

Just wondering what you thought.

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 01:41 PM
What are you talking about. The Secondary played great. The problem was the MLBs. Herron was terrible. All of the passes to Dez Bryant were in his zone. EJ struggled as well. Outside of that, I don't remember a long pass play given up by the secondary. Hell, we even had some pass breakups...something we never get.
Sounds more reasonable that the CB's suck kindof excuse.

I asked Mullet, but what did you think. Sure looked like Romo had lots of time to hit the recievers and the recievers were in between zones (as you alude to).

I might not get to see this one as the re-air has been bumped for the damn Jets/Giants game. :sick:

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Bite your tongue. That cat is "Money". :whistle: (Sarcasim alert) :evil:

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 01:50 PM
No spin on my part necessary. Dude was 1 out of 3. Who's to say he doesn't make bad connections this year when you need him?

We need someone who can not only make them during meaningless games but when the game is on the line for real.

From our good friends at NFL game center......

Jeff Reed tied the score at 20 with a 53-yard field goal with 1:16 left in regulation, but Tim Tebow had a 19-yard scramble in leading the Broncos downfield for Steven Hauschka's 51-yarder as time expired.

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 01:52 PM

Donovan McNabb:

Adrian Peterson:

Michael Jenkins:

Bernard Berrian:

Fullback:

O-Line:

Defensive Line:

Linebackers:

Secondary:

I look at it this way. Had Adrian Peterson played the whole game, he would have had a 150 yard game. With a couple of TDs. He was walking all over their first team defense. We corrected the special teams issue as well.
This is exactly why I'm excited about this team going 10-6/11-5. The best thing is that it will only keep getting better and better each week as they continue to get comfortable with Musgrove and Pagacs systems. ;)

singersp
08-29-2011, 01:55 PM
Look, no one was saying this kid could come in and run a NFL team right away. What most of us (me especially) were saying is that we would understand if the staff elected to go with him. Mostly because he was coming from a system that would allow him to make good reads, good throws and get through his progressions.

Sure there were. Did you miss it?

Other than PF, Frazier certainly stated he wanted to go with him on day 1. That pretty much states he felt at that point that he was able to run a NFL team right away.

Good thing clearer [staff] heads prevailed.

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 02:07 PM
The Vikings had 4 drives of 50 yards or more and I like what I seen from Bill Musgrave as far as formations and plays. Musgrave used alot of different formations including a 3 TE bunch set on the first play of the game.
3 TE sets. Hmmmmmmm. Gonna use em up this year.

Percy Harvin looks like he will get a ton of targets and besides a wide open dropped pass on 3rd down, he played well. Michael Jenkins and Berrian look like some reliable targets and Emmanuel Arceneaux also had a nice 43 yard grab from Joe Webb down the sideline in the 2nd half
I think the Vikes have a tough decision when it comes to the last two WR's after Berrian, Jenkins and Harvin.

One player i’m wonder what the Vikings will do with is TE Allen Reisner. He catches pretty much anything that comes to him and with Shaincoe’s contract up this year I would like to see them hang onto him. Getting him on the practice squad will be tricky. Remember they tried to get Mickey Shuler on their practice squad last year and the Dolphins claimed him. TE is deep for the Vikings so I don’t know if they’ll have room for him but I’d like to see him stick on the team.

No need to keep a FB. Use that roster position to keey Reisner.

The Offensive line impressed me last night also. Musgrave drew up alot of plays helping them out with chip blocks and extra TE’s but overall they played well as a unit. Herrera made his debut after tearing his ACL last year and looked good. One player who stood out to me though was John Sullivan. He held his own against Jay Ratliff who’s no easy task.

Hmmmmmm, hasn't some yutz been saying our OL will be fine?

Vikings defense was pretty bland. Doesn’t look like Pagac will show his hand before week 1 at the Chargers.

My guess is that is why the Cowgirls had luck against us, based on what little I've seen on replays.

Marcus Sherels is continuing his impressive training camp and preseason. He was the first person to get a crack at punt return duties last night and also had a tremendous pass break up on 3rd down early in the game. I think he has a very good chance at making the roster but at his size(5’10, 175lbs.) he’s ment for the slot which Winfield plays at in the Nickel packages
I know someone will be happy to see that.

Vikings defensive line looked good. Brian Robison did some nice things in run support last night and Christian Ballard looks like he will take over Robison’s role from last year. He has impressed this pre-season and has 2 sacks in 3 games.

Hmmmm, I'm liking the sounds of this. I sure was PO'd when they picked Ballard, but as of right now, I really am glad they did.

Cowboys/Vikings Game Thoughts
(http://www.vikingsgab.com/2011/08/28/cowboysvikings-game-thoughts/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+VikingsGab+%28Vikings+Gab%29)

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 02:11 PM

Other than PF, Frazier certainly stated he wanted to go with him on day 1. That pretty much states he felt at that point that he was able to run a NFL team right away.

Yea, but you and I both know that is coach/organization speak for............"If we can't get a good vet cheap, then we will roll with Webb/Ponder/Brohm"....

As I said, I understand that way of thinking. Doesn't mean its right even though Bleed tries to say otherwise. ;)

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 02:15 PM
Cowboys 23, Vikings 17

1. The Cowboys held out center Andre Gurode, a precursor to a possible trade or release.

2. Dallas’ first-team defense continued to struggle. They have given up 30 points in nine preseason possessions.

3. On the flip side, Donovan McNabb’s deep score to Bernard Berrian was another positive sign for Minnesota’s steadily improving starting offense.

4. Dez Bryant has enjoyed a quiet camp off the field, and he made noise on the field with five catches and 67 yards.

What we learned: Mega-edition from Saturday night
(http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/28/what-we-learned-mega-edition-from-saturday-night/)
So they were minus their starting Center eh.

Some other interesting notes to follow-up on with respect to other games, especially the Brady/Lions DL stuff.

NodakPaul
08-29-2011, 02:16 PM

Fraizer said that at a time that we were all hoping OTAs and training camp could happen like normal. And he said it before McNabb was signed. Lots of things changed before then and now. I don't think that there was any kind of power struggle going on here.

Regarding Ponder, he looks like, well, a rookie. Considering that he didn't have a normal offseason, I am OK with where he is at. But there is no way he is ready now. I would be surprised if he starts at all this year, even if McNabb goes down. There is just no reason to rush him into it, and "the most NFL ready" or not (such a stupid term), he will be better for sitting a year (or more).

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 02:26 PM
-I was a bit disappointed by the disappearing act from Kyle Rudolph. Visanthe Shiancoe sat out for the third straight time this pre-season, giving Rudolph an opportunity to shine, and he didn't have a catch on the evening. Then again, he was only targeted one time, and it looked like Donovan McNabb was making a concerted effort to get his wide receivers more involved in the game, so maybe that was by design.

Is it just me, or has there not been a whole lot of blitzing from the Vikings' first-team defense this pre-season? I know that Fred Pagac has promised a more aggressive style of defense, and we saw that at the tail end of last season after the elevation of Leslie Frazier, but unless I'm flat-out missing it, I haven't seen a lot of that yet. Maybe the Vikings are just saving it for the regular season, which would make sense

-I don't think the secondary is going to be quite as awful as a lot of us have been fearing. Winfield will continue being Winfield, and Cedric Griffin appears to be coming around, considering that he's coming off of two ACL tears. The key is going to be the nickel position, since the Vikings spent about half of their snaps in 2010 with three defensive backs on the field. Whether that nickel spot is occupied by Chris Cook or Asher Allen or Marcus Sherels or whoever it might be, they're going to need to be prepared. The front seven should still be among the league's best, and if the secondary can hold up their end of the bargain, this team is going to surprise people.

What I Saw On Saturday Night
(http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/8/28/2389582/what-i-saw-on-saturday-night-cowboys-vikings)
I like it when cats like this actually think about the flip side when they make an assesment.

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 02:30 PM

Fraizer said that at a time that we were all hoping OTAs and training camp could happen like normal. And he said it before McNabb was signed. Lots of things changed before then and now. I don't think that there was any kind of power struggle going on here.

Regarding Ponder, he looks like, well, a rookie. Considering that he didn't have a normal offseason, I am OK with where he is at. But there is no way he is ready now. I would be surprised if he starts at all this year, even if McNabb goes down. There is just no reason to rush him into it, and "the most NFL ready" or not (such a stupid term), he will be better for sitting a year (or more).
Some very good points in there my friends. Good stuff NP.

Quick question though, even with the shortened timeframe, I still think the kid would be OK (Notice I didn't say great bleed) if he would have had exclusive reps with the ones all through camp.

Take a look at what Dalton is doing in Bengalsville. The ball is late sometimes, but he is making the right reads and going to the right guys, making the right checks at the line etc. Same with Gabbert. Nothing spectacular, but not that far off of what Gerrard has been doing.

kevoncox
08-29-2011, 02:33 PM

I asked Mullet, but what did you think. Sure looked like Romo had lots of time to hit the recievers and the recievers were in between zones (as you alude to).

I might not get to see this one as the re-air has been bumped for the damn Jets/Giants game. :sick:

That's pretty accurate. Our Dts were getting more pressure than normal but I was dissatisfied that we weren't caving their Oline in, they started a 3rd string Center :angry:. However, when we didn't apply enough pressure upfront, Romo & Co ate us up. It's simple. The ends come hard off the corner to force the QB to step up. When they do, that pressure has to be there to obstruct his throws or get the sack.

Robison had some ok plays against the run, including an open field tackle on a WR coming off a reverse.

singersp
08-29-2011, 02:35 PM

I don't think there was much of a struggle if any either. Just stating that Frazier felt at that time Ponder could start. I disagreed with that assessment, even if there was a full gamut of offseason. The Vikings definitely had to have a savvy veteran QB on their roster.

Personally, I'm glad we got a vet in. It not only helps Ponder, but it helps Webb as well.

If McNabb goes down, I think we'll see Webb before Ponder, although if our season is lost, I think we'll see Ponder get some action.

I have no problem if Ponder sits all year. There have been many QB's who were ruined by starting them to early, but I can't think of any who were ruined by sitting them their entire rookie season.

singersp
08-29-2011, 02:37 PM
Take a look at what Dalton is doing in Bengalsville. The ball is late sometimes, but he is making the right reads and going to the right guys, making the right checks at the line etc. Same with Gabbert. Nothing spectacular, but not that far off of what Gerrard has been doing.

Ask this again come mid-season.

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 02:45 PM
Bill Musgrave, Offensive Coordinator: There have been two things that I noticed so far with Musgrave that made me go 'whoa, the KAO is dead and buried, and that's a good thing'. Last week in Seattle, the Vikings went shotgun with an empty backfield on their own two, and last night they looked like they ran the same formation in a third and short situation...and got the first down. So far, Musgrave is doing a good job of playing to the strengths of the guys he has to work with, and the offense looks good.
If he keeps this up I might even call him something other than Musgrove. Jury is still out though. :P

I watched Charlie Johnson on every series last night, and he was good. He was able to stand up his guy repeatedly, and he wasn't beat one time. Not once, at least that I saw. The big difference I noticed between him and McKinnie is that Johnson is a junkyard dog, and never gives up on his guy. If a guy gets a step on him, he has done a very good job of using that momentum and re-directing him upfield, out of the play.
Good to hear......

Joe Webb, QB: Mike Mayock said something funny about Webb last night.

He has no idea what he's doing, but it doesn't matter at this point.

And as usual, Mayock's right, and when he said it, he meant it as a compliment. Webb's athletic ability allows him to make up for quarterbacking errors in receiver progression, for example, or hesitancy to throw the ball, because he can tuck it and run forever.

I like that our QB position looks bright. Been along time since we not only had a viable option but backups with futures as well.

Jenkins was a good pick up for the Vikings, and I think he will excel at making 'moving the chains' type catches.

Christian Ballard, DT: We kind of didn't know what we were getting with Ballard. He had the reputation of a gifted athlete that didn't really tap in to his potential at Iowa--a first round talent with a fifth round work ethic. The fourth round pick has been very good so far, is working his way up the depth chart, and put in another solid performance again last night. I like how disruptive he has been in the middle, and I hope he keeps it up.

Still remember how PO'd I was when they made this selection.

Special Teams: Terrible. When you have a field goal blocked for a TD, and are 1-3 overall in field goals, it's a fail. Punting was okay, coverage units were okay, and returns were okay, but the blocked FG was the difference between winning and losing. Can't have it.

Do tell. Say it isnt' so.:whistle:

Buy: Bernard Berrian. Hey, we all wanted him to show up and make some plays, and he did. That was a heckuva TD catch with that safety jumping in front of him for the ball, and he haeld on to it for the score. He also had a couple other nice catches and finished with 2 catches for 64 yards and the score. It was a nice effort from Berrian.

So let me get this straight....With the likes of Gus and TJ, BB is damn good, has two down years, and now seems to be back in form.

Maybe, just maybe he was never out of form. ....snicker....:evil:

Overall, I liked what I saw. Although the Vikings lost, there are a lot more positives to take away from this game than negatives--McNabb, Peterson, the wide receivers officially being taken off of the 'Area Of Concern' list, and the defensive effort from the first team. Yes, there's still work to be done, but this is a competitive team, with the makings of a good offense and another quality defense.

Stock Market Report, Pre-Season Week 3 (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/8/28/2389664/vikings-cowboys-game-review)

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 02:48 PM

Ask this again come mid-season.
Why? The team is being rebuilt. I expect we will still see him having issues, just like the rest of the team.

The key point in all of it is he is making the right reads, going to the right guys, and like all QB's, the timing will improve as he gets more reps and next year he will be the better for it.

Look, I know there are Bengals fans out there that don't see it that way. They would rather have Carson out there running this team, but to what end? So they can win and lose about the same amount of games they did last year?

Nope, get the kid in there, get him some reps and see what ya got.

singersp
08-29-2011, 02:49 PM
Maybe the Vikings are just saving it for the regular season, which would make sense

I like it when cats like this actually think about the flip side when they make an assesment.

I don't buy it.

Perhaps if were returning this year with the same players, the same system, the same QB, a full offseason & TC & a coach who has been in place for more than a handful of games, it might be true.

With so much that has changed, the turnover of players at key positions, the shortened off-season time, the new schemes & the new OC, etc., IMO they're working hard to get the machine oiled, synchronous & aren't concerned about holding back on offense or defense, other than resting players more.

Since preseason games don't count, Pagac probably doesn't have the urgency to blitz as often, but when he does, I don't feel they're holding back.

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 02:50 PM

That's pretty accurate. Our Dts were getting more pressure than normal but I was dissatisfied that we weren't caving their Oline in, they started a 3rd string Center :angry:. However, when we didn't apply enough pressure upfront, Romo & Co ate us up. It's simple. The ends come hard off the corner to force the QB to step up. When they do, that pressure has to be there to obstruct his throws or get the sack.

Robison had some ok plays against the run, including an open field tackle on a WR coming off a reverse.
Thanks Kev. Good news on Rob.

I was worried about him standing up to the run. Looks like I shouldn't have worried especially if he is happy taking on that role and allowing Ballard to come in and get the sacks.

On a side note, the whole 3rd string C and the lack of push up the middle is a bit disheartening to say the least.

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 02:53 PM
Maybe the Vikings are just saving it for the regular season, which would make sense

I don't buy it.

Perhaps if were returning this year with the same players, the same system, the same QB, a full offseason & TC & a coach who has been in place for more than a handful of games, it might be true.

With so much that has changed, the turnover of players at key positions, the shortened off-season time, the new schemes & the new OC, etc., IMO they're working hard to get the machine oiled, synchronous & aren't concerned about holding back on offense or defense, other than resting players more.

Since preseason games don't count, Pagac probably doesn't have the urgency to blitz as often, but when he does, I don't feel they're holding back.
Maybe they feel they've seen enough in practice not to show their hand. Again, the easy answer is to say they suck, but I'm not buying that either.

We have seen the DL get pressure, especially with the backups in against the opposing Offenses 1's so the scheme seems to be there to make it work. Only other answer is he isn't showing everything.

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 03:08 PM
"What I was encouraged by was when Chris was out there, when Cedric [Griffin] was out there, when 'Toine was out there, we held our own. That is really encouraging for our defense and for our team, because we're going to need those three guys to really play at a high level in order for our defense to play well. When they were there, I thought we held them in check." ...

Preseason: Vikings conjure Bernard Berrian
(http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/30320/preseason-vikings-conjure-bernard-berrian)

Marrdro
08-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Areas to feel good and not so good about
(http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/128588078.html)

MulletMullitia
08-29-2011, 06:53 PM
O-Line:

Good stuff my friend. Quick question. Was Herrera able to pull and if so was it a pull to the "A", "B" or "C" gaps? Interested to see if he was able to get out in front all the way out to the "C" gap.

Defensive Line:

Quick question. I'm suprised most on here say the DL played well. Don't get me wrong, I'm not suprised they did, I'm more suprised that there weren't some comments on pressure.

The highlights I saw on ESPN and NFLN show Romo pretty much standing in a clean pocket and the one time someone got even close (JA) he was singled up and pretty much moved to the inside with Romo side stepping him a bit.

Again, didn't see the game, but it seemed to me that the big plays were the recievers (Dallas) were open, he had lots of time for them to clear the zones.

Just wondering what you thought.

Herrera definitely pulled to the C on AP's biggest run of the night. He really looked awesome. As far as the pressure, I would credit it more to Romo's quick release. He is a tough SOB to sack. Jared Allen was getting lots of double teams, and Rob was getting most of the pressure on him. Ballard got a great sack as well.

MulletMullitia
08-29-2011, 06:57 PM
And for this Ponder discussion, I really think Webb is going to get that #2 spot this season. Webb is clearly a lot more ready to lead if McNabb went down. Not to put down Ponder. He is just not even close to ready. He is really a lot more raw than I thought he was going to be for the "Most NFL-ready QB in the draft". I hope we re-sign McNabb for a 2 year deal after this season. If Ponder is ready after a 3rd year, great. If not, go another direction. No reason to rush a young QB to lead a team unless you absolutely have to. Look at Aaron Rodgers. Had Rodgers started right away in Green Bay, he probably wouldn't be the QB he is today. That maturity that he developed has made him one of the best QBs in the game.

singersp
08-30-2011, 02:05 AM
Yea, but you and I both know that is coach/organization speak for............"If we can't get a good vet cheap, then we will roll with Webb/Ponder/Brohm"....

When did the Vikes acquire Brohm & sneak him on the roster? :P

singersp
08-30-2011, 02:15 AM

I don't buy it.

Maybe they feel they've seen enough in practice not to show their hand. Again, the easy answer is to say they suck, but I'm not buying that either.

We have seen the DL get pressure, especially with the backups in against the opposing Offenses 1's so the scheme seems to be there to make it work. Only other answer is he isn't showing everything.

Part of the reason for preseason is evaluating talent. You can't get a fair evaluation of your rookies or 2nd year players by holding them back. They're going to want to see what those players are made of & what they can bring.

Likewise, those rookies and players down on the depth chart are trying to make the team. The ones that aren't shoe-ins, are going to give it there all. Afterall, jobs are at stake.

Purple Floyd
08-30-2011, 02:55 AM

I don't buy it.

Part of the reason for preseason is evaluating talent.
You can't get a fair evaluation of your rookies or 2nd year players by holding them back. They're going to want to see what those players are made of & what they can bring.

Likewise, those rookies and players down on the depth chart are trying to make the team. The ones that aren't shoe-ins, are going to give it there all. Afterall, jobs are at stake.

And yet you want to keep them on the bench for a few years instead of putting them on the field to see what they can do.

Marrdro
08-30-2011, 02:34 PM
OK, I stayed up and watched the re-air, well most of it. Don't remember to much of the 4th quarter. Irene wore me out.

Offense. Wildwoman used a word I liked....SMOOTH.

Only real gaff wasn't really a gaff on the offense. Hatcher, dropping back into a short zone, made one hell of a play that lead to an INT.

TE's. I love how they used them and I can see why they think they don't need a FB. Waste of a roster spot if its gonna mean we have to leave one of our young (or old vets) TE's off the roster.

I'm looking for a big year out of Sauce by the way. No way they can cover Shanc, Rudy and Sauce all at the same time and still worry about what AD and the other reciever is gonna do.

OL was very impressive. Not gonna go into the stuff most have already commented on however, two observations......Love watching Herrera pull. Cat brings the Nasty my friends. I loved the "Get off my boy AD" shove he put on one of the Cowgirl defenders after a nice run.

At one point or another I saw OLmen getting to the next level, blocking downfield at the end of plays. Nothing makes my heart feel warmer than to see guys like Load right there picking AD up, 10 yards down the field.

On a side note, anyone who thinks the ZB scheme is gone should re-visit how the OL doubled and then handed the guy off in that game. Classic ZBing my friends.

DL. I don't care what people think, we still have a problem at the DT position. We are just not getting a push up the middle which is allowing QB's to step up and around the DE's coming in from the edges.

Anyone who has a problem with that only needs to watch how the DT's from the Lions made Brady look like crap as a comparison to understand what I mean.

Which leads me to LB'rs. Alot of the holes in the defense (LB'rs and CB's) that people hacked on in previous postes were a result of LB's vacating those zones in an effort to help with that problem.

Quick question.....Have Erin and Chad switched sides for good now?

Griff. Man it was good to watch him on the field again. That guy can not only close, but when he gets there the tackle is made.

Whinny. Is still a liability in pass coverage. Again, great in run support and thats what most love him for, but he couldn't even stay with a TE on 3 seperate plays. On a side note, I did worry about him though after the Witten hit.

Shortwell. :sick: I am going to leave it at that. Won't hear another word out of me on this cat after this, but he is gonna have problems this year. I can see it coming.

Announcers....I love Mayock to death when it comes to the draft, but he is really out of it on some of his analysis. Couple of points...

a. Gave Dimperio props when he actually didn't do anything on a play. To tell the truth he ran by 3 Cowgirl defenders and didn't even hit anyone.

b. Took him into the 2nd quarter before he even mentioned the 13 sets (3 TE's/1 RB) even though the offense ran them almost exclusively the first quarter.

Overall, what a great showing. I think there are a couple of issues we still have to worry about, but it seems like the coaching staff has a plan to either overcome/work around those.

I need to go hit the waiver wire and see if there are any "War Pigs" out there that can help with the DT issue. Anyone hear of any that were cut?

I saw the Bengals traded a DT for a CB with the Seachickens but don't know who they were.

Marrdro
08-30-2011, 05:53 PM
1. The Offensive Line Looked Better
There seemed to be legitimate improvement with the O-line, not just “they were so bad anything would have looked better” improvement. High marks to Charlie Johnson who held his own in the running game and absolutely did not get torched or burned or lit up in pass protection, even when blocking DeMarcus Ware (who frankly seemed uninspired to me). More high marks for Anthony Herrera who despite coming off knee surgery looked perfectly mobile on a couple of pulls. Kudos also to Jim Kleinsasser who was a mauler in run blocking.

Who thought Sauce wasn't gonna make this team?

2. Bill Musgrave is Not Darrell Bevell, Part 2
The Vikings established early that they plan to run the ball down people’s throats, and that’s fine, but in this day-and-age the “run it down their throats” philosophy only goes so far – at some point you have to open it up and play some modern-day football. Bill Musgrave seems to understand this.

Liking what I'm seeing, but he's still Musgrove for now.

4. Brian Robison Can Have the Left End Job
I thought Robison outplayed Jared Allen Saturday. He did have a horrendous missed tackle on Jason Witten on about the second play of the game but after that I thought he did a good job. I noted one really nice open-field tackle on Kevin Ogletree after Ogletree tried in vain to shake-and-bake him, a couple good pressures, one knock-down of Romo off a fairly effective spin move and one play where he chased Romo into a sack. Oh and he also forced a run play outside (unfortunately the first man with a chance at the tackle, Brandon Burton, missed and allowed a decent gain). The notion of Robison not being used as an every-down player can now pretty well be scrapped. I’ll still be curious to see how he holds up against a more experienced right tackle than Tyron Smith, but for now, I’m ready to put my faith in Robison.

I'm about ready to send Rob a email and officially eat crow. I must just have to wait until week 4 before I'm 100% convinced but I'm coming around.

6. Cedric Griffin is Cedric Griffin
Cedric looks like himself to me: A crafty veteran who isn’t particularly fast or brilliant in one-on-one coverage but will tackle you if he can get to you. In other words, a solid Cover-2 outside corner. Romo threw to his side a lot, as if meaning to pick on him because he’s coming off injury, and he did just fine. Why are some people worried about him? So he popped an ACL twice in one year. What are the chances of it happening again?

Lovin me some Ced. Might have to ask my good friend bleed if he has a Ced jersey that might fit my slightly overweight bod.

10. Position Battles
I’ve got Adrian Awasom holding firm, Manny Arceneaux moving back up in the receiver mix, Sherels almost locking down a spot, Jaymar Johnson fading even further into irrelevance, Ryan D’Imperio still on the bubble, Greg Camarillo looking more-and-more like he’s about to be a former Viking and Allen Reisner still hanging around on the fringes. And I’m probably wrong about all of those. The big lesson I learned this year is not to try to guess 53-man rosters on the basis of what happens in preseason games. Too many unforeseen variables.

JJ and Cam might be gone. Also, just don't see the need for another ineffective FB in a scheme that doesn't use a FB.

10 Points: Vikings Vs. Cowboys (http://thevikingage.com/2011/08/29/10-points-vikings-vs-cowboys/)

singersp
08-31-2011, 01:19 AM

I don't buy it.

Part of the reason for preseason is evaluating talent.
You can't get a fair evaluation of your rookies or 2nd year players by holding them back. They're going to want to see what those players are made of & what they can bring.

Likewise, those rookies and players down on the depth chart are trying to make the team. The ones that aren't shoe-ins, are going to give it there all. After all, jobs are at stake.

And yet you want to keep them on the bench for a few years instead of putting them on the field to see what they can do.

We're talking preseason here. Once this weekends over, several rookies will be put on the shelf for use at a later time.

Ponder will be on the team by default. His job is not at stake, but he gets his chance this weekend with a bunch of the starters.

Marrdro
08-31-2011, 03:20 PM
We're talking preseason here. Once this weekends over, several rookies will be put on the shelf for use at a later time.

Ponder will be on the team by default. His job is not at stake, but he gets his chance this weekend with a bunch of the starters.
I would be suprised if he had many starters at all, and if he did, it will be for just one series.

My guess:

LT - Brown
LG - Degeare/Olsen
C - Coop/Cook
RG - Cook/Degeare
RT - Welch

WR's
JJ - if he's healthy
Arcenaux
Aromashadu
Inglesias
Cam - If he's healthy
Burton

TE's
Shanc might want to get some reps
Dugan
Rudolph
Riesner

RB's
Toby
King
Davis
Booker

HEY
08-31-2011, 04:41 PM
All plays by Christian Ponder (excluding one handoff) in the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbQSdIqLdJw

Marrdro
08-31-2011, 04:51 PM
All plays by Christian Ponder (excluding one handoff) in the game:

Absolutely loved those two throws to Riesner. Nice pocket work as well.

marstc09
09-02-2011, 03:04 AM
@TomPelissero:

See! That's what I was talking about. Glad to see I'm not the only one. Don't know why marstc09 said he looked "great" out there yesterday. He had too many plays where he was just non-existent in the run game.

Why can't we just pick up a big mean old school no-neck fullback? Instead, we have two tight ends (Dugan and Kleinsasser), a 2nd year converted linebacker (D'Imperio), and a rookie halfback (Asiata). Might as well just drop carrying a fullback this year.

When you are comparing him to Tahi, anything looks better.

marstc09
09-02-2011, 03:07 AM
If you don't want to get into mindless discussions with me why do you keep poking me? :whistle:

I saw him make some great blocks out there. Marrdro can make all the excuses he wants for Tahi about the direction of FBs in the league and Tahi this and that.....but D'Imperio is going to be a great FB for us. Watched him a lot last night. I like what I see.

Missed the game so I can't say one way or the other how well D'Imperio played but is sounds like your the only one who thought he did OK, and I'm not just talking about the cats on here who saw it differently.

Me thinks you don't have a clue when it comes to FB play, thats why your confused.

You need to hang around a bit more. I've been pretty high on this group since pre-season started.

Unlike you, I can change my mind and admit when I'm off a bit on a assesment of a player/group.

LOL, I see your still sticking up for ole 1/3 Shortwell. LOL Look, if the cat keeps making FG's, then he's worth keeping around. If he can't make FG's, well, he's not worth having around. No spin involved. ;)

Don't fret. I do have a clue. I can change my mind. Sorry you have a hard time comprehending that.

marstc09
09-02-2011, 03:11 AM
No spin on my part necessary. Dude was 1 out of 3. Who's to say he doesn't make bad connections this year when you need him?

We need someone who can not only make them during meaningless games but when the game is on the line for real.

From our good friends at NFL game center......

Jeff Reed tied the score at 20 with a 53-yard field goal with 1:16 left in regulation, but Tim Tebow had a 19-yard scramble in leading the Broncos downfield for Steven Hauschka's 51-yarder as time expired.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I will spin it just like you. So he made one in preseason. Whos to say he won't miss them in the regular.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Too easy. Keep spinning. Did you graduate from sewing school?

marstc09
09-02-2011, 03:13 AM
Bite your tongue. That cat is "Money". :whistle: (Sarcasim alert) :evil:

Yet if it was a player you liked, you would write it off as a bad day. You are so predictable. I am going to nickname you Chilly Jr or Maybe Chilly Sr. HA

marstc09
09-02-2011, 03:19 AM
Bill Musgrave, Offensive Coordinator: There have been two things that I noticed so far with Musgrave that made me go 'whoa, the KAO is dead and buried, and that's a good thing'. Last week in Seattle, the Vikings went shotgun with an empty backfield on their own two, and last night they looked like they ran the same formation in a third and short situation...and got the first down. So far, Musgrave is doing a good job of playing to the strengths of the guys he has to work with, and the offense looks good.
If he keeps this up I might even call him something other than Musgrove. Jury is still out though. :P

I watched Charlie Johnson on every series last night, and he was good. He was able to stand up his guy repeatedly, and he wasn't beat one time. Not once, at least that I saw. The big difference I noticed between him and McKinnie is that Johnson is a junkyard dog, and never gives up on his guy. If a guy gets a step on him, he has done a very good job of using that momentum and re-directing him upfield, out of the play.
Good to hear......

Joe Webb, QB: Mike Mayock said something funny about Webb last night.

He has no idea what he's doing, but it doesn't matter at this point.

And as usual, Mayock's right, and when he said it, he meant it as a compliment. Webb's athletic ability allows him to make up for quarterbacking errors in receiver progression, for example, or hesitancy to throw the ball, because he can tuck it and run forever.

I like that our QB position looks bright. Been along time since we not only had a viable option but backups with futures as well.

Jenkins was a good pick up for the Vikings, and I think he will excel at making 'moving the chains' type catches.

Christian Ballard, DT: We kind of didn't know what we were getting with Ballard. He had the reputation of a gifted athlete that didn't really tap in to his potential at Iowa--a first round talent with a fifth round work ethic. The fourth round pick has been very good so far, is working his way up the depth chart, and put in another solid performance again last night. I like how disruptive he has been in the middle, and I hope he keeps it up.

Still remember how PO'd I was when they made this selection.

Special Teams: Terrible. When you have a field goal blocked for a TD, and are 1-3 overall in field goals, it's a fail. Punting was okay, coverage units were okay, and returns were okay, but the blocked FG was the difference between winning and losing. Can't have it.

Do tell. Say it isnt' so.:whistle:

Buy: Bernard Berrian. Hey, we all wanted him to show up and make some plays, and he did. That was a heckuva TD catch with that safety jumping in front of him for the ball, and he haeld on to it for the score. He also had a couple other nice catches and finished with 2 catches for 64 yards and the score. It was a nice effort from Berrian.

So let me get this straight....With the likes of Gus and TJ, BB is damn good, has two down years, and now seems to be back in form.

Maybe, just maybe he was never out of form. ....snicker....:evil:

Overall, I liked what I saw. Although the Vikings lost, there are a lot more positives to take away from this game than negatives--McNabb, Peterson, the wide receivers officially being taken off of the 'Area Of Concern' list, and the defensive effort from the first team. Yes, there's still work to be done, but this is a competitive team, with the makings of a good offense and another quality defense.

Stock Market Report, Pre-Season Week 3 (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/8/28/2389664/vikings-cowboys-game-review)

One PRESEASON game and Bernard is back to form?! Child please.

marstc09
09-02-2011, 03:22 AM
DL. I don't care what people think, we still have a problem at the DT position. We are just not getting a push up the middle which is allowing QB's to step up and around the DE's coming in from the edges.

We are fine.

marstc09
09-02-2011, 03:31 AM
On a side note, anyone who thinks the ZB scheme is gone should re-visit how the OL doubled and then handed the guy off in that game. Classic ZBing my friends.

Nobody ever said it was gone. But you go ahead and keep spinning what you want Chilly Sr. The ZB is NOT the focus of his blocking scheme. Spielman said it. Leslie said it. Davidson said it. Just face it. It sucked for us when it was mostly all we did.

marstc09
09-02-2011, 03:37 AM
a. Gave Dimperio props when he actually didn't do anything on a play. To tell the truth he ran by 3 Cowgirl defenders and didn't even hit anyone.

Mayock is more knowledgeable than you. DImperio makes the team. Period. Funny how it was ok when Tahi did not do anything. Oh wait it was the system right? LOL.

gregair13
09-02-2011, 05:18 AM
I watching the replay of this game as I type this.

Our defence isn't as bad as I thought but not as good as some people think it is. They have the ability to make some plays, but will need some points from the offence to make them look good.

McNabb still does not understand how to run a 2minute drill. I guarantee this will cost us at some point this year.

Who is going to be our kick/punt returner?

AP is a freaking beast. Anyone who doesn't take him first overall in every fantasy league is a complete and utter moron. He is locked in and going to win the rushing title... assuming our oline helps him out.

marstc09
09-04-2011, 06:04 PM

DImperio makes the team. Period.

Wow I have to eat crow on this one.I guess they will be using Kleinsasser inside. They must really see something in Allen Reisner. I have not really seen he do anything yet, good or bad, so no comment. It is going to be fun seeing Shank, Rudolph, and Percy in a bunch. Can you say nightmare?

singersp
09-04-2011, 06:08 PM

Wow I have to eat crow on this one.I guess they will be using Kleinsasser inside. They must really see something in Allen Reisner. I have not really seen he do anything yet, good or bad, so no comment. It is going to be fun seeing Shank, Rudolph, and Percy in a bunch. Can you say nightmare?

Wonder if they'll use K-Rud to block?

marstc09
09-04-2011, 06:15 PM

Wonder if they'll use K-Rud to block?

They are probably going to have to with no FB. From the scouting reports it says he is a willing and able blocker but needs to polish it up for the NFL.