PDA

View Full Version : Big LB: Jonathan Gilmore

HEY
08-16-2011, 01:52 PM
I saw him at the end of the game last week. This guy is huge!
Gilmore is a middle linebacker and he's listed at 6'4" and fricken 295 pounds (!)

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/95/952902.jpg

This guy is bigger than most of the Vikings defensive linemen. We sure got some big guys in the middle with him and Jasper Brinkley.

I tried to look up some stuff about him, but couldn't find much. All I know is that he's a rookie at 24 years old and I think he gained some weight after college because he thought the defensive line was his best shot in the NFL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMRMojuNO3o

Jumbo LB hoping for time to slim down (http://min.scout.com/a.z?s=63&p=2&c=1095144&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fmin.scout.com%2f2%2f1095144.html) (need subscription)

Marrdro
08-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Interesting. 4.83 forty time is a bit slow but I suspect if he shed some pounds he could get into the 4.4/4.5 areas that the higher prospects run.

Johnson14
08-16-2011, 02:42 PM
damn.. that is a big dude!!

Purple Floyd
08-17-2011, 02:34 AM
He looks tough and mean. Wonder if he can play NT or OL.

MaxVike
08-17-2011, 02:42 AM
Interesting. 4.83 forty time is a bit slow but I suspect if he shed some pounds he could get into the 4.4/4.5 areas that the higher prospects run.

hmmmm, that seems a bit aggressive Marr. I might buy 4.6 or 4.7, but not WR speed with that frame, just sayin'

i_bleed_purple
08-17-2011, 03:01 AM
Keeping in mind 4.4is what ap ran. Not a chance. 4.8 is fairly slow, but 4.6 would be alright for a big body mlb

HEY
08-17-2011, 12:07 PM
People, people! Lets not get stuck in the 40 time which seems to be a never-ending recurring pointless topic around here. A 4.8 is not bad for a guy weighting nearly 300 pounds, but that's not my point. A middle linebacker's 40 time is so meaningless because he normally needs to run 5-10 yards and in many cases not even straight. He could be running the fastest first 10 yards in history, but super slow in the following 30 yards. I'd rather take him than a guy running a "normal" 4.6.

The 40-yard dash is way overrated because it's a big difference in how much time you devote to improve your 40 time and also how it transits to the playing field.

Marrdro
08-17-2011, 04:32 PM

hmmmm, that seems a bit aggressive Marr. I might buy 4.6 or 4.7, but not WR speed with that frame, just sayin'
You did see I said top prospects..... 4.6 is right in there though when you look at the other cats.

Von Miller
(http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70987&draftyear=2011&genpos=OLB)

One of the knocks on Akeem Ayers this year was that he ran a 4.7/4.8.

Marrdro
08-17-2011, 04:34 PM
People, people! Lets not get stuck in the 40 time which seems to be a never-ending recurring pointless topic around here. A 4.8 is not bad for a guy weighting nearly 300 pounds, but that's not my point. A middle linebacker's 40 time is so meaningless because he normally needs to run 5-10 yards and in many cases not even straight. He could be running the fastest first 10 yards in history, but super slow in the following 30 yards. I'd rather take him than a guy running a "normal" 4.6.

The 40-yard dash is way overrated because it's a big difference in how much time you devote to improve your 40 time and also how it transits to the playing field.
If 40 times weren't important they wouldn't be used to grade players especially players that might be asked to run with TE's and RB's coming out of the backfield say in a seam route.

On a side note, I agree on his 4.8 time, my point was he could probably improve that if he was in fact dropping some weight to go back to LB instead of DE, which was information provided in the vid you gave us to look at my friend.

You know me, provide it and I will not only read it, I will over analyze it as well. ;)

Marrdro
08-17-2011, 04:36 PM
He looks tough and mean. Wonder if he can play NT or OL.
Maybe not an undertackle but I bet he would work as a 5 technique.

HEY
08-17-2011, 08:27 PM
If 40 times weren't important they wouldn't be used to grade players especially players that might be asked to run with TE's and RB's coming out of the backfield say in a seam route.Simple... then don't ask him to do it ;)

On a side note, I agree on his 4.8 time, my point was he could probably improve that if he was in fact dropping some weight to go back to LB instead of DEHe was actually playing linebacker in the game last week so it seems that the coaches want him at the linebacker position. We will probably see him drop some weight if that's the case and naturally become a little faster. As for the 40 time, I don't really consider that much at all when I can see on game tape that the guy runs pretty fast for his size.

You know me, provide it and I will not only read it, I will over analyze it as well. ;)Yup, and that's why we all love you! :)

Marrdro
08-19-2011, 03:50 PM
If 40 times weren't important they wouldn't be used to grade players especially players that might be asked to run with TE's and RB's coming out of the backfield say in a seam route.Simple... then don't ask him to do it ;)

On a side note, I agree on his 4.8 time, my point was he could probably improve that if he was in fact dropping some weight to go back to LB instead of DEHe was actually playing linebacker in the game last week so it seems that the coaches want him at the linebacker position. We will probably see him drop some weight if that's the case and naturally become a little faster. As for the 40 time, I don't really consider that much at all when I can see on game tape that the guy runs pretty fast for his size.

You know me, provide it and I will not only read it, I will over analyze it as well. ;)Yup, and that's why we all love you! :)
I agree. Game tape (what he actually does on the field) is probably the best indicator, but as I said, 40 times are important piece as well.

Again, if they weren't then staffs wouldn't even bother with them.

On a side note, gonna be interesting to see if he is even tried with his hand in the dirt. I think he would be great on the line as mentioned by our good friend PF.