PDA

View Full Version : Christian Ponder's NFL Debut

HEY
08-15-2011, 12:41 AM
For those who missed the game, this is a video of all the completed passes and highlights of rookie quarterback Christian Ponder's performance in his very first NFL game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epEF7R2g2dg

So what do you guys think?

Personally, I was impressed, especially considering he only practiced with the team for what... 10 days? ... and that's not even as the first or second stringer.

Ponder showed good arm strength. I loved the Roethilsberger-impression at the very end and it looks like the guy will fight to keep plays alive. Ponder showed good passer accuracy. He was patient and I liked how he didn't want to take big risks or go for many big plays. He showed good decision making in my opinion. What surprised me the most was his creativity on the field and I loved it! This guy could be exciting to watch in the future. Also, he showed that he has some quick feet on more than one occasion and he plays though for a QB. It's nice to have that extra option.

All in all, it looks very good for a rookie quarterback who entered the league during a lockout. I'm excited to watch him play next week and I heard he will be starting.

midgensa
08-15-2011, 12:57 AM
I was VERY happy with his play last night. I was thinking that going into the preseason games Joe Webb had to be way ahead for the No. 2 spot. That definitely did not appear to be the case last night.

Now it is just preseason with no funny defensive packages until at least week 2, so I am not going to get too far ahead of myself. But I was very happy with his play and with his footwork and seeming command of the offense and huddle.

Very happy with my first look at this kid.

johnkdbr
08-15-2011, 01:53 AM
I watched the game on the Titans network & agree with what the announcers were saying....He looked to have problems seeing passing lanes over the D-Line. This could be a problem for him especially on a 3 step drop. Like I said in another post it's hard to really get a read on him because he was playing with the #2's & 3's. Had no protection at all especially up the middle.

singersp
08-15-2011, 01:59 AM
Ponder showed good arm strength.

That's expected when throwing check down passes & passes of 10 yards or less. I sure as hell hope he has the strength to zip em in there. Lets wait & see how he does on some deeper passes of 20, 30 & 30+. He'll get opportunities to do so. This was just his 1st outing. He needs to get his feet wet before stepping into the deep end.

Caine
08-15-2011, 02:26 AM
Ponder showed good arm strength.

That's expected when throwing check down passes & passes of 10 yards or less. I sure as hell hope he has the strength to zip em in there. Lets wait & see how he does on some deeper passes of 20, 30 & 30+. He'll get opportunities to do so. This was just his 1st outing. He needs to get his feet wet before stepping into the deep end.

I agree. He threw a lot of chip shots, nothing really to indicate true arm strength/ability.

I did like his ability to extend plays with his feet - he didn't simply tuck-n-run, he looked downfield constantly.

Caine

VikesFan787
08-15-2011, 02:34 AM
That throw on the run was so pretty! (@1:09)

Purple Floyd
08-15-2011, 03:05 AM
He looked more poised than I thought but he didn't look as prepared as Locker did.

I thought it was good of the staff to put him in as the #3 to send the message he wasn't going to get handed anything which is refreshing compared to the last staff.

Playing with the WR group he has and behind an OL that is in transition isn't going to help him any. The real test will be when he has to throw the ball down the field into tight coverage because it is clear from watching in camp that his arm is not near as strong as the other 2 QB's.

MindCrimes67
08-15-2011, 03:10 AM
He looked more poised than I thought but he didn't look as prepared as Locker did.

I thought it was good of the staff to put him in as the #3 to send the message he wasn't going to get handed anything which is refreshing compared to the last staff.

Playing with the WR group he has and behind an OL that is in transition isn't going to help him any. The real test will be when he has to throw the ball down the field into tight coverage because it is clear from watching in camp that his arm is not near as strong as the other 2 QB's.

First off Locker was playing with the starters, Ponder was mostly with guys who will not be on team.. Big difference. Ill wait to see how he plays after pre-season is done. But overall i thought he looked pretty good. Joe Webb on other hand still looks like a deer in headlights. Looked to run instead of pass. Just my observations..

MindCrimes67
08-15-2011, 03:12 AM
Sorry locker played with some starters and second stringers..

HEY
08-15-2011, 03:13 AM
Let me address the part about the arm strength! Yes, it's true that we didn't see many long throws from Ponder, but I never really questioned his arm strength. I guess I should rather say that he did nothing to change that opinion.

There was one throw that I thought was pretty impressive though: The last pass attempt he made in the game, not because of how long it went, but how it was made.

A defensive player tried to drag Ponder down while he held both of Ponder's feet together. Ponder, with his throwing shoulder in the opposite direction, managed to fire one off past the end-zone with seemingly ease. Try to stand with your throwing shoulder forward and your feet together and see just how hard it is!

You can see the throw at 4:09
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epEF7R2g2dg&lc=5GllCDb_waJvgGlZzXgWgTgThITtSerIEcHBnzAxe8s&feature=inbox

battleaxe4cheese
08-15-2011, 03:22 AM
I liked what I saw last night. Could he have played better yes but could have played a lot worse. Looks way more poised than tjack ever did. We will see come real season how he does. I have a feeling he will be called upon as McNabb may get destroyed if our Oline doesn't step up.

kevoncox
08-15-2011, 03:33 AM
Arm strength is not just about how far the ball travels but also how fast. I had no issues with his velocity and its apparent that he can make any throw.

Purple Floyd
08-15-2011, 03:47 AM
First off Locker was playing with the starters, Ponder was mostly with guys who will not be on team.. Big difference.

First off, I was not evaluating how they played with the team A,b or C but how poised they looked and what they did with the opportunities they had. You can do that regardless of the supporting cast. The way Locker looked in the pocket, how he was able to identify mis matches like the one he got on the TD pass and the way he picked up the botched snap and made a play from nothing. That had nothing to do with the guys around him.

Ill wait to see how he plays after pre-season is done. But overall i thought he looked pretty good.

Yeah, I think he did too. I certainly don't have any complaints about what he did and to be honest he actually exceeded my expectations for this point in his development. Hopefully it is a sign of good things to come.

Joe Webb on other hand still looks like a deer in headlights. Looked to run instead of pass. Just my observations..

I didn't really think of it as deer in the headlights in a TJ like sense. He just needs to be a bit more patient and i really think he can do better.

What I see from Webb is a very good arm and a guy who can put the ball into some very tight spaces. In camp he was making some end zone and sideline throws that were impossible to defend and that is rare, especially for a raw talent. What Webb has that I really like is that he is always looking to get positive yardage and he does a good job of getting the ball to guys who can move the chains. Where he needs work, as you pointed out, is in learning to wait for the play to develop a bit more before deciding to run.

Personally I would still rather take my lumps with both of the young guys and let them develop on the field than to put McNabb in there but we will have to see how it goes.

NodakPaul
08-15-2011, 04:33 PM
First off Locker was playing with the starters, Ponder was mostly with guys who will not be on team.. Big difference.

First off, I was not evaluating how they played with the team A,b or C but how poised they looked and what they did with the opportunities they had. You can do that regardless of the supporting cast. The way Locker looked in the pocket, how he was able to identify mis matches like the one he got on the TD pass and the way he picked up the botched snap and made a play from nothing. That had nothing to do with the guys around him.

Ill wait to see how he plays after pre-season is done. But overall i thought he looked pretty good.

Yeah, I think he did too. I certainly don't have any complaints about what he did and to be honest he actually exceeded my expectations for this point in his development. Hopefully it is a sign of good things to come.

Joe Webb on other hand still looks like a deer in headlights. Looked to run instead of pass. Just my observations..

I didn't really think of it as deer in the headlights in a TJ like sense. He just needs to be a bit more patient and i really think he can do better.

What I see from Webb is a very good arm and a guy who can put the ball into some very tight spaces. In camp he was making some end zone and sideline throws that were impossible to defend and that is rare, especially for a raw talent. What Webb has that I really like is that he is always looking to get positive yardage and he does a good job of getting the ball to guys who can move the chains. Where he needs work, as you pointed out, is in learning to wait for the play to develop a bit more before deciding to run.

Personally I would still rather take my lumps with both of the young guys and let them develop on the field than to put McNabb in there but we will have to see how it goes.

You know Uffda, Purple Floyd... I am really getting tired of you posting things that I agree with completely. Can't we get back to arguing again? How about that Arden Hills Stadium? :silly:

Marrdro
08-15-2011, 05:38 PM
You know Uffda, Purple Floyd... I am really getting tired of you posting things that I agree with completely. Can't we get back to arguing again? How about that Arden Hills Stadium? :silly:
Is this true? Ahhhhh the insanity of it allllllll...:laugh:

On a side note.......A few things to consider with Ponder, especially when you consider the "Locker" comparison......

a. Locker has had alot more reps with the 1's because of the starters injury.

b. Ponder has given way to Dnabb for the predominance of reps with the 1's. Again, Dnabb needs to learn it moreso that Ponder does.

c. Ponder and Webb have competed for the other reps, in essence splitting what a cat like Locker would have got when the starter was out there working.

I questioned Ponders arm strenght as well when I looked at him in preps for the draft. Most reports had him as a bit of a "Weak" arm. Others had him as fine and able to make all the throws.

After the draft, I looked again and found that most who had him "Weak" were only looking at what he did his junior year when he was working off of one injury and going through another.

Atleast for me, I have no worries that he not only can make all the throws, he will be very accurate when making them.

My remaining issue with young Ponder is solely related to how quickly will he be able to read defenses and recognize what the defenses are trying to do. Judging by his throws this weekend, he knew were to go with the ball for the most part and only a couple made me think (Pick 6) if he would have been facing a starting defense.

AngloVike
08-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Based on the highlights clip then I don't think he did bad, course we know thats against 2nd maybe 3rd stringers but some promising throws and moves on his part.
Will be interesting to see what is rolled out against Seattle next week and hope Ponder get some more reps, though expect McNabb to have the lions share of those.

delviking
08-15-2011, 08:32 PM
what i got mostly from this game was Pocket awareness. Ponder had good to great pocket awareness while still keeping his eyes down field.

the 3rd string O-line was really really bad for the most part, i did like Fusco moving and reading the D-line to help out. (the penalty was bogus)

While i like Joe his pocket awareness isnt where Ponders is. Joe i think will always be a great QB from a clean pocket but once that pocket drops abit he hits Runner mode to quickly. but hey thats fun to watch to B)

Purple Floyd
08-16-2011, 02:05 AM

Take the roof off of it, put a video poker screen at every seat to pay for it and I am good.:woohoo:

Purple Floyd
08-16-2011, 02:38 AM

On a side note.......A few things to consider with Ponder, especially when you consider the "Locker" comparison......

b. Ponder has given way to Dnabb for the predominance of reps with the 1's. Again, Dnabb needs to learn it moreso that Ponder does.

c. Ponder and Webb have competed for the other reps, in essence splitting what a cat like Locker would have got when the starter was out there working.

I questioned Ponders arm strenght as well when I looked at him in preps for the draft. Most reports had him as a bit of a "Weak" arm. Others had him as fine and able to make all the throws.

After the draft, I looked again and found that most who had him "Weak" were only looking at what he did his junior year when he was working off of one injury and going through another.

Atleast for me, I have no worries that he not only can make all the throws, he will be very accurate when making them.

My remaining issue with young Ponder is solely related to how quickly will he be able to read defenses and recognize what the defenses are trying to do. Judging by his throws this weekend, he knew were to go with the ball for the most part and only a couple made me think (Pick 6) if he would have been facing a starting defense.

As you probably remember I had Ponder graded number 2 of the QB's in the draft and I was one of the few who were not concerned about his arm.

But I got the chance to see him throw live along with Webb and McChunky and in that environment it was really amazing how much faster the ball came off of both Webb and Macs arms compared to Ponder. I don't know how that in turn compares to the rest of the league but between the three he is certainly last on the velocity totem pole.

Marrdro
08-16-2011, 01:25 PM

As you probably remember I had Ponder graded number 2 of the QB's in the draft and I was one of the few who were not concerned about his arm.

But I got the chance to see him throw live along with Webb and McChunky and in that environment it was really amazing how much faster the ball came off of both Webb and Macs arms compared to Ponder. I don't know how that in turn compares to the rest of the league but between the three he is certainly last on the velocity totem pole.
Good stuff my friend.

I kindof agree with you on that point, but I think his arm strenght is sufficient to do what he needs to do in the scheme.

Lets not forget, timing is what is critical here. Arm strength can help overcome some of that early in a guys career as he figures everything out, but eventually, timing will be the key to his success.

On a side note.....the timing, atleast for me, is driven by his ability to read what the defenses can/will do. Once he figures that out, he will not only know were to go with the ball, but when (Timing).

On a side side note.......]Uffda......you dodged that little question.

singersp
08-16-2011, 01:50 PM
I got the chance to see him throw live along with Webb and McChunky and in that environment it was really amazing how much faster the ball came off of both Webb and Macs arms compared to Ponder. I don't know how that in turn compares to the rest of the league but between the three he is certainly last on the velocity totem pole.

And there in lies my only concern with him thus far. I don't feel the need for any concern on his short passing game. He's very accurate in that range & his velocity will suffice.

It's the long ball I'm most worried about. Not that he can't throw it deep, but that he can't throw it with velocity and accuracy over that distance. That is where the claims that he floats the ball comes from. Unless there's a mismatch in coverage, that gives the defender time to make a play on the ball.

Granted, deep passes aren't a majority of our game, but if we don't have a real threat of it, the box is always going to be stacked because of AD.

A stacked box also means there's better coverage on our TE's as well.

Purple Floyd
08-17-2011, 01:03 AM

Good stuff my friend.

I kindof agree with you on that point, but I think his arm strenght is sufficient to do what he needs to do in the scheme.

Lets not forget, timing is what is critical here. Arm strength can help overcome some of that early in a guys career as he figures everything out, but eventually, timing will be the key to his success.

On a side note.....the timing, atleast for me, is driven by his ability to read what the defenses can/will do. Once he figures that out, he will not only know were to go with the ball, but when (Timing).

On a side side note.......]Uffda......you dodged that little question.

Nope, I answered it. Go back and check again;) :lol: