Jaymar Johnson return
Ponder flip pass on the run

Negatives:
Chris Cook continues his poor showing
Charlie Johnson looks shaky
General trouble moving the ball
Joe Webb's INT
Ponder not moving the football
Just after the Johnson return, we lined up with 10 men, so another player had to come from the bench
Offensive line in gerenal
Not scoring a TD

i_bleed_purple
08-14-2011, 03:45 AM
Wasn't fully watching the whole game, but I noticed a few things.

Ponder: Had some great moments, and had some obvious rookie moments. Shows great mobility, and despite reports of lack of arm strength, he gets alot behind his throws. I like what I see, and hopefully he'll be a great QB for us.

OL: Iffy at times, good at times. Seems later on our line played quite well more often than not.

WR: Bleh, not alot to say, some good ones, some bad ones. Jaymar had a few nice grabs, I really would be surprised if he doesn't make the team

RB: Booker is legit. Great quickness and speed, should be a great third down option.

Defense: some breakdowns in coverage, some poor DL play and breakdowns vs. the run. to be expected though in the first preeason game. Just gotta tighten it up.

MindCrimes67
08-14-2011, 03:53 AM
Didnt see any of the starters at all.. only saw last 2 times we had ball. Was disappointed when i turned on and saw we had no TDs. Dont like seeing Ponder playing with the players who more than likely wont make roster.

12purplepride28
08-14-2011, 04:03 AM
Highlight of the game was random fan yelling vagina at the end of the game.

ThorSPL
08-14-2011, 04:04 AM
Lets see:

Our CBs looked pretty bad; we did sit our starters, so we may have been "mismatched" the whole game (our 2's against their 1,s our 3's/their 2's, etc.); but generally speaking Cook looked rusty... poor tackling, head not in the game. Asher did not have a great game. Sherels (sp?) looked overmatched.

LB: looked good, I thought. Erin makes some plays and appeared to have good instincts. EJ was EJ, didn't see much of Greenway though... Brinkley had that one big whiff on Locker I think, but otherwise was solid.

DL: Underwhelming play..... didn't seem to control the LoS.

S: Better than usual, but not saying much. Tyrell Johnson did not look lost out there and his physical skill set showed in spots, I thought.

Offensively.... not so good.
QB: McNabb looked comfortable, should do fine. Webb breathed some life in the offense but can't do it alone... Ponder was a rookie. I thought he showed some good flashes, had some rookie mistakes, but was alright. Arm strength seems fine, needs to not stare down receivers, but not a bad showing.

RB: Toby made a cut that made a guy miss... liked that. AD had no holes, didn't show much with nearly no opportunity. Booker had a damn fine game.

WR: Weak showing. Many drops, poor separation, etc. I expected more.

TE: Sauce showed up to play. Rudolph shows promise

OL: Puke. That is all.
Damnit I can't let that be all. Load looked good from what I saw, but I was not watching much line play. I thought the line did not make holes for RBs but certainly left holes for the DL to come flying in....

Special Teams: Nice returns by Jaymar.... pretty good coverage on KO, etc. I was pleased.

ThorSPL
08-14-2011, 04:04 AM
Highlight of the game was random fan yelling vagina at the end of the game.

That was pretty funny. Taking advantage of the boom mic, I think!

MulletMullitia
08-14-2011, 05:09 AM
Confused that Ponder took 3rd team reps instead of 2nd. The O-line looked really bad all around. With moments of good play from Demarcus Love. Our young new D-line players looked pretty good. Ballard looked like a beast out there, and had a big sack. I also like what I saw from D'Aundre Reed at DE. He has an awesome Freeney-esque spin move. Everything else seemed par for the course. Given the team around him, and the different opportunities, Ponder played pretty well for a rookie. I love his escaping ability. He is also great at throwing on the run. Can't wait to see him take a lot more reps as the preseason continues.

Purple Floyd
08-14-2011, 05:10 AM
I was fishing and missed the game but I am watching it on the DVR right now and at this point it looks to me like the defense is going to be a big liability this season. IMHO we are going to take a big step back until some of these new guys can get up to speed. The question is will that take 4 games, a season or a decade.

The team as a whole looked slow, uninspired and watching the sidelines there was no emotion of any kind.

Joe Webb looks like he is improving and he does something to remind me of Randall Cunningham every time he plays. The INT was bad but he at least wet back out and went at it again which is good.

VikesFan787
08-14-2011, 05:27 AM
Did not like Asher Allen and cringed when Cook blew his coverage. I was hoping he would step up.

Does anyone else notice that Peterson and Gerhart just simply run into the O-Line and just get stuffed by our own players? I seen that a lot last year also.

singersp
08-14-2011, 05:37 AM
Did not like Asher Allen and cringed when Cook blew his coverage. I was hoping he would step up.

Does anyone else notice that Peterson and Gerhart just simply run into the O-Line and just get stuffed by our own players? I seen that a lot last year also.

Like I've said before, AD gets a lot of yards, primarily because he busts some, but people fail to see or acknowledge just how many times he gets stuffed for no gain or a loss. That is why it's so important to have a good passing game to compliment the run. Your passing game has to pull people out of the box.

singersp
08-14-2011, 05:56 AM
Post your positives and negatives here

Positives:

I know Ponder played against scrubs & with scrubs, but I thought he made some quick heads up plays & decisions to make a positive play out of a play gone awry. He threw some nice passes.

Although it's just preseason, I still enjoy seeing the Packers get beat.

Negatives:

Berrian is still Berrian. All the speed in the world doesn't win ball games if you can't catch the ball.

Aromashodu: See Berrian

We let Rice go.

Other:

Locker looked cool as a cucumber out there & in control.

Johnson14
08-14-2011, 05:18 PM
Positives:..

McNabb - sure footed, made good decisions.
Booker - tons of upside, elusive, fast and a great 3rd down back.
DeMarcus Love - I like this kid a lot, very good footwork, strong, exciting prospect.

Negatives:..

Chris Cook - he was horrible, poor tackling and a schoolboy error got him burned for the TD.
Webb - for me, showed he hasn't really learnt a lot from last year, still not getting his head up and taking off too quickly, not a standout no'2 qb.

It's pre-season so i wont be losing too much sleep on this performance. :)

Marrdro
08-14-2011, 05:54 PM
OK, I quit charting after the 3rd quarter. Just to damn many numbers/names I donít have a clue onÖÖ.

Observations:

a. The change in KOffs isnít going to hurt returners that go against the Vikings. Fricken Shortwell didnít even get his first one in the endzone for cripes sake.
b. We donít need to worry about a KOff returner. Everything is to deep to return. (except Shortwells of course)
c. If the trend continues, teams are going to run right (LDE Robison) a lot. I charted 4 against Rob and 2 against Awasom were the LBír or CB got hung because they couldnít seal. Awasom did have one heck of a nice read/react/pressure on the QB though.
d. Canít figure out why they had Everson at RDE. Would have made more sense to flip flop them but I guess the coaches wanted to see Rob early at LDE. Everson got caught rushing atleast twice on runs to the outside.
e. 12 2-1 sets, 7 2-2 sets, 4 1-1 sets. Could be off on a couple of those cause I didnít realize that Sauce was lining up at FB a couple of times.
f. A lot of runs went inside the tackles with most in the A and B gaps.
g. Sully didnít look to bad on the runs up the middle.
h. A lot of ďZone PressĒ. I charted 10 (Cloud/Cover 3) and I think I missed the Sat the line at least 3 more times but wasnít sure in the third. Other than the mess up by Cook biting up on the fumble, allowing a TD, the DBís didnít do to bad in the Zone Press look.
i. Hard to tell but I charted most offensive blocking schemes as ďhat on hatĒ. Can be attributed to vanilla initial outing.

Good
a. Toby looks good.
b. Dnabb looked good even though most was short/quick throws.
c. Webb can scramble. More on him in the bad.
d. Ponder didnít look as lost as the papers contend.
e. 3rd and short, early and Hutch got stuffed. (Edit - That should be in the bad)......
f. Kluwe seems to have figured it out. High, long punts equal less return.
g. Frampton, Díimperio can cover kicks.
h. JJ might have sealed it up for returner. Nice to have him, Booker and Sherrels able to do it if injuries limit roster assignments.
i. Erin will be OK. He made up for a lot of mistakes early by LDEís.
j. Atleast for the starters and some of the second rounders, the OL only had a few blatant gaffs.

Bad
a. Saw two nice pulls by Degeare but he missed the bock. Atleast he got there. Some more reps this year might iron that out.
b. Webb needs to wait a bit longer before he takes off running. Mayock pointed out one instance, but I saw two others were the receiver was open just as he broke and ran.
c. I have I mentioned Shortwell?
d. Not a lot of pressure up the middle by the DTís. Need to see more of Ballard

Long story short, about what I expected with a few suprises.

Defense worked on leaving CB's alone with little or no S help. Can't wait to see what the starters do in that role. Again for the most part the second stringers did OK.

Offense was focused on short stuff. Anticipate seeing some intermediate stuff next week. Timing between Dnabb (QB's) and all recievers should help were we saw some dropped balls this weekend.

In the end, I canít wait for next weekend against the Seachickens. From what I watched of them this weekend, their defense was OK against the run, and sucked against the pass. Should be a good game for our OL to continue to work on things.

On a side note, anyone else take notice of Webb's jump pass......:P

Purple Floyd
08-14-2011, 06:03 PM
I immediately thought of you when I saw the jump pass when the pocket broke down on him Marty.

What I saw was a team with a young coaching staff that has a lot of holes to fill and has had a limited time to sort through all of the issues that confront them.

Anyone who thinks this team can get turned around and finish above .500(Let alone 11-5) is going to be in for a big letdown.

battleaxe4cheese
08-14-2011, 06:09 PM
Ponder looked pretty good and has some quickness. I thought McNabb looked pretty solid and didn't make any really stupid mistakes. He looked pretty comfortable for the most part and probably due to the fact that it was a no pressure game.

O-line looks like they are getting manhandled too much but preseason is just that.

The biggest positive by far is not seeing that balled headed dunce bent over on the sideline like he's reliving the days in prison.

Marrdro
08-14-2011, 06:13 PM
I immediately thought of you when I saw the jump pass when the pocket broke down on him Marty.

What I saw was a team with a young coaching staff that has a lot of holes to fill and has had a limited time to sort through all of the issues that confront them.

Anyone who thinks this team can get turned around and finish above .500(Let alone 11-5) is going to be in for a big letdown.
I still say we can get into double digits with a good chance at 11-5. Next week, however, I would anticipate some movement on a couple of fronts...

a. We should see some intermediate routes. Everything this weekend was basic stuff implemented early in camp. Runs off the A and B gaps and short dumpoffs/checkdowns with a few slants.

b. Saw alot of S's at the line early. As I mentioned above with the offense, the defense we saw is the basics so S's at the line this early t equates to S's at the line alot. Want to see the starting CB's in this scheme. Gonna be fun to see if they can be "Cover" corners instead of Cover 2 corners. I know a few were disappointed in them but I thought they did OK for the most part.

The Cook gaff is something that happens in the first pre-season game but won't happen when its real.

Marrdro
08-14-2011, 06:15 PM
Ponder looked pretty good and has some quickness. I thought McNabb looked pretty solid and didn't make any really stupid mistakes. He looked pretty comfortable for the most part and probably due to the fact that it was a no pressure game.

O-line looks like they are getting manhandled too much but preseason is just that.

The biggest positive by far is not seeing that balled headed dunce bent over on the sideline like he's reliving the days in prison.
Saw some good stuff on the interior of the OL, but as you said, nothing special at this point, which is to be expected.

For the most part, wholes were there for the backs in the A and B gaps with Toby only getting stuffed one time and Dnabb had time for what throws he was working. So did Webb and Ponder for the most part if they would have been a bit more patient.

Purple Floyd
08-14-2011, 06:22 PM
The OL is going to be the Achilles of the offense. The old QB cannot play with pressure on him and the Center is going to get msnhandled like a fresh inmate on a weekly basis. The LT has a lot to adjust to before he is serviceable and that is going to lead to lots of sacks, runs for no gain and more hurried passes.

My guess is the only thing that will prevent certain posters from calling for brett to come out of retirement is pride.

johnkdbr
08-14-2011, 06:23 PM
Hard to tell on first game. Did not feel the Vikes were in this one emotionally. Lot of confusion. Thought Ponder looked like a lost rookie but will give him the benefit of the doubt because he was playing with the #2's & 3's. I will say "Ryan Mallet" looked the best of the rookie QB's. This guy is gonna be a superstar in the NFL!!!! We should of took him with our 2nd pick & grabbed a DL or OL with our first pick.

Marrdro
08-14-2011, 06:28 PM
The OL is going to be the Achilles of the offense. The old QB cannot play with pressure on him and the Center is going to get msnhandled like a fresh inmate on a weekly basis. The LT has a lot to adjust to before he is serviceable and that is going to lead to lots of sacks, runs for no gain and more hurried passes.

My guess is the only thing that will prevent certain posters from calling for brett to come out of retirement is pride.
Sully looked fine, much to my suprise. Dnabb did a good job getting out of the way, that I wasn't suprised to see.

I think the OL is going to be the least of our worries this year, regardless of what some people on here have been harping about for what seems like forever.

Don't forget, even with three backups in there last year we graded out middle of the league. That isn't as bad as some on here think.

Marrdro
08-14-2011, 06:29 PM
Hard to tell on first game. Did not feel the Vikes were in this one emotionally. Lot of confusion. Thought Ponder looked like a lost rookie but will give him the benefit of the doubt because he was playing with the #2's & 3's. I will say "Ryan Mallet" looked the best of the rookie QB's. This guy is gonna be a superstar in the NFL!!!! We should of took him with our 2nd pick & grabbed a DL or OL with our first pick.
I still say that when Mallet faces a real pass rush his slow butt will get hurt.

12purplepride28
08-14-2011, 06:45 PM
I still say that when Mallet faces a real pass rush his slow butt will get hurt.

Tell that to Brady and Manning

i_bleed_purple
08-14-2011, 06:47 PM

I wouldn't bother if I were you.

He's under the impression that pocket QB's can't succeed in todays NFL because they'll get hurt right away. (while conveniently forgetting that Manning hasn't missed a game since he got drafted)

Marrdro
08-14-2011, 06:53 PM

I almost can go with that, however, Peyton and Brady are slow, but Mallethead makes them look like world record holders.

Mix in the new things defenses are doing these days and I will stick by what I said before........cats like Mallet are a dying breed.

Purple Floyd
08-14-2011, 07:07 PM

After seeing McCoy progress it looks like Chilly screwed the pooch by not drafting him last year.

But I guess the play of Cook at CB has made us forget about all of the other players available at that pick.:P

Marrdro
08-14-2011, 07:17 PM

He's under the impression that pocket QB's can't succeed in todays NFL because they'll get hurt right away. (while conveniently forgetting that Manning hasn't missed a game since he got drafted)
As always your off the mark my friend, but hey, I'm getting used to you being confused.

For those that weren't in the discussion, my point was centered on a couple of things....

a. Increased use of the Zone Press defensive schemes both from a 3-4 and a 4-3 scheme. They will make it almost impossible for a QB to stand in the pocket. Ones that can't move won't last. That is about 2 years away before it is prevelant throughout the league.

b. The types of QB's that are getting drafted and are now being successfull are young, mobile, spread offense types. Why? Cause coaches throughout the league understand what I just said in item a.

The only think Mallethead has going for him is he wound up with a team that actually has a OL that can protect him for the time being and he has one hell of a arm. As long as he can learn to read those complex schemes he might suceed.

After watching what he did when he got pressured at the collegiate level, I highly doubt he will, again, based on what defenses will be doing in the next 2 or 3 years. :whistle:

Freakout
08-14-2011, 08:19 PM
McNabb looked comfortable and his mobility will help a lot. Bounce back year coming this season.

Webb disappointed. I was expecting more awareness coming off his rookie year. I still say we should be using him instead as a WR. Involve him on reverses, do the old Randy Moss fake reverse and let him throw it. Just be creative with the freakish raw talent that he has.

Ponder looked pretty good. I do not see the weak arm that experts blabbed about. He definitely has more zip on it than Chad Pennington ever had. He isn't as far away as I thought. Watching his mobility I understand why he was so effective on 3rd downs in college.

I actually thought the O-line did an average job. Of course I want better production but the talent is just not there. No one is going to be turning water into wine with the unit that we have. Blame McKinnie, the front office, and McDonalds for that.

I am starting to like Gerhart. He just needs his own Chester Taylor then we can dump Peterson for draft picks :P

Hoped to see more throws to Jenkins.

Berrian had some catches but he is not the answer as a down the field receiver and it isn't his speed that is the problem. He does not go up after the ball. You cannot be passive and just hope that the DB doesn't knock it down.

Aromashodu actually caught my attention. I saw a guy that at least went after the ball. He is also pretty quick on his cuts and seemed to create separation.

I am not a fan of Camarillo but it is hard to ignore how reliable he is. Very rarely do you see him drop a catchable ball. With our receiving unit it is hard to cut a guy that actually has good hands.

Robison did not look good and if he doesn't step it up it would not shock me to see Everson take his spot. I swear Everson is freaking built. For all the criticism our management gets I feel they do a pretty damn good job at finding D-line guys late in the draft. Everson, Ballard, even Reed looked good.

Corners were what I expected. Cook needs to do better, second year he needs to step up. I am not as concerned because Griff and Winny were not playing.

I am looking forward to watching Mistral Raymond get some time next game. At USF he had a nose for the ball. Was always good at reading and reacting. I like Sanford due to his hard hitting style but I question his speed which is why I believe Johnson will win that job.

As for keeping 5 receivers, boy I am glad I don't have to make the decision. In my opinion Jenkins, Harvin, and Cam are our 3 most reliable receivers. Jaymar would be hard to cut due to his punt returning ability. You desperately want Berrian to be productive but if he cannot then you need a guy like Aromashodu. At this point the only route I trust Berrian to catch are slants.

HEY
08-14-2011, 08:25 PM
One thing I couldn't help noticing is that the Vikings succeeded in bringing in another safety who can't cover. :sick:
This is a good example on what I'm talking about from last nights game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4_uwvuTo4c

Purple Floyd
08-14-2011, 08:28 PM
One thing I couldn't help noticing is that the Vikings succeeded in bringing in another safety who can't cover. :sick:

Looks like he is a perfect fit for the scheme.

Johnson14
08-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Like 3rd/4th string so kinda harsh!.. but yeah, he was horrible there and i dont think for one sec he will make the roster :lol:

Freakout
08-14-2011, 08:35 PM

Yeah that was awful. You have to consider though that the kid is camp fodder. When you get down to your 5th or 6th guy at a position you cannot expect much.

Johnson14
08-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Burton was the CB there i think, thought the kid did ok yesterday, potential.

marshallvike
08-14-2011, 10:13 PM
I was fishing and missed the game but I am watching it on the DVR right now and at this point it looks to me like the defense is going to be a big liability this season. IMHO we are going to take a big step back until some of these new guys can get up to speed. The question is will that take 4 games, a season or a decade.

The team as a whole looked slow, uninspired and watching the sidelines there was no emotion of any kind.

Joe Webb looks like he is improving and he does something to remind me of Randall Cunningham every time he plays. The INT was bad but he at least wet back out and went at it again which is good.

How was the fishing?

Purple Floyd
08-14-2011, 10:24 PM

How was the fishing?

Not too bad. I caught a 19" and a 16" smallmouth and my buddies daughter caught 3 walleyes between 17 and 20 inches plus a nice channel cat, several sunnies and some smaller bass.

Turboe
08-14-2011, 10:26 PM
Burton was the CB there i think, thought the kid did ok yesterday, potential.

I agree, but Burton seemed to be really hot and cold. He was either making a spectacular play or missing something equally as dramatic. Not too shabby for a young kid though in that position I would think. I would rather see the errors or commission than omission out of a young guy like that.

12purplepride28
08-15-2011, 05:35 AM

As always your off the mark my friend, but hey, I'm getting used to you being confused.

For those that weren't in the discussion, my point was centered on a couple of things....

a. Increased use of the Zone Press defensive schemes both from a 3-4 and a 4-3 scheme. They will make it almost impossible for a QB to stand in the pocket. Ones that can't move won't last. That is about 2 years away before it is prevelant throughout the league.

b. The types of QB's that are getting drafted and are now being successfull are young, mobile, spread offense types. Why? Cause coaches throughout the league understand what I just said in item a.

The only think Mallethead has going for him is he wound up with a team that actually has a OL that can protect him for the time being and he has one hell of a arm. As long as he can learn to read those complex schemes he might suceed.

After watching what he did when he got pressured at the collegiate level, I highly doubt he will, again, based on what defenses will be doing in the next 2 or 3 years. :whistle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtOHbJjTVoQ

Hate to burst your bubble, but Mallett looked pretty great in his first game. I know it's preseason, but who cares. He looks like he is able to move in the pocket and even scramble if need be.

And since you love 40 times so much, here's a couple for you.

Ryan Mallett - 5.37
Tom Brady - 5.23
Peyton - 4.8

None of these guys are fast, and none are asked to run to make plays happen. After watching the highlights I think Mallett will be a great QB in the NFL. I honestly wish we would have taken him.

gamecocksbaseball31
08-15-2011, 06:03 AM

I almost can go with that, however, Peyton and Brady are slow, but Mallethead makes them look like world record holders.

Mix in the new things defenses are doing these days and I will stick by what I said before........cats like Mallet are a dying breed.
How many frickin nicknames do you have? Do you have a spreadsheet for that too?

marstc09
08-15-2011, 07:22 AM
OK, I quit charting after the 3rd quarter. Just to damn many numbers/names I donít have a clue onÖÖ.

Observations:

a. The change in KOffs isnít going to hurt returners that go against the Vikings. Fricken Shortwell didnít even get his first one in the endzone for cripes sake.
b. We donít need to worry about a KOff returner. Everything is to deep to return. (except Shortwells of course)
c. If the trend continues, teams are going to run right (LDE Robison) a lot. I charted 4 against Rob and 2 against Awasom were the LBír or CB got hung because they couldnít seal. Awasom did have one heck of a nice read/react/pressure on the QB though.
d. Canít figure out why they had Everson at RDE. Would have made more sense to flip flop them but I guess the coaches wanted to see Rob early at LDE. Everson got caught rushing atleast twice on runs to the outside.
e. 12 2-1 sets, 7 2-2 sets, 4 1-1 sets. Could be off on a couple of those cause I didnít realize that Sauce was lining up at FB a couple of times.
h. A lot of ďZone PressĒ. I charted 10 (Cloud/Cover 3) and I think I missed the Sat the line at least 3 more times but wasnít sure in the third. Other than the mess up by Cook biting up on the fumble, allowing a TD, the DBís didnít do to bad in the Zone Press look.
i. Hard to tell but I charted most offensive blocking schemes as ďhat on hatĒ. Can be attributed to vanilla initial outing.

Good
a. Toby looks good.
e. 3rd and short, early and Hutch got stuffed. (Edit - That should be in the bad)......
h. JJ might have sealed it up for returner. Nice to have him, Booker and Sherrels able to do it if injuries limit roster assignments.
j. Atleast for the starters and some of the second rounders, the OL only had a few blatant gaffs.

Bad
a. Saw two nice pulls by Degeare but he missed the bock. Atleast he got there. Some more reps this year might iron that out.
b. Webb needs to wait a bit longer before he takes off running. Mayock pointed out one instance, but I saw two others were the receiver was open just as he broke and ran.

Defense worked on leaving CB's alone with little or no S help. Can't wait to see what the starters do in that role. Again for the most part the second stringers did OK.

Offense was focused on short stuff. Anticipate seeing some intermediate stuff next week. Timing between Dnabb (QB's) and all recievers should help were we saw some dropped balls this weekend.

In the end, I canít wait for next weekend against the Seachickens. From what I watched of them this weekend, their defense was OK against the run, and sucked against the pass. Should be a good game for our OL to continue to work on things.

I figured you would rip on the only person who scored points on this team. Sad. Once again you fail to recognize how horrible our coverage is. I know you have old eyes but DAMN! Missed tackles and bad lanes. LONGwell is just fine.

I am just glad I don't have to listen to your crap this year on our old shitty blocking scheme, you thought was so great and our x y z blah blah blah WRs. I am loving our new OL scheme and how they said this offense allows WRs to play everywhere.

marstc09
08-15-2011, 07:25 AM

I think the OL is going to be the least of our worries this year, regardless of what some people on here have been harping about for what seems like forever.

That is because we changed the scheme and moved away from that crap you always stuck up for. Looks like those yutzs talking about changing it were right. Chalk another one up for me.

marstc09
08-15-2011, 07:58 AM
We are in big trouble in the nickel CB position.

It is funny about the story about Bernard and Favre. McNabb will soon learn why Favre ignored Bernard. He sucks.

I hope we don't waste a roster spot on Kleinsasser. It is time to let go. We have plenty of young guys at the TE spot.

It is so refreshing to have Booker back there and not Young. Big difference. Who was that yutz so big on Young and not impressed with the Booker signing?

It is funny that Marrdro was making fun of Webb for a jump pass. Webb is a 3rd string. T-Joke was a 2nd rounder who that douche Chilly moved up for to start!

McNabb will be good. shame on those who did not want him here.

Ballard stood out for me. I think Burton and Love could be decent picks as well.

I was disappointed some guys didn't play. Where was Allen and Jenkins?

I saw Safties out of position.

I thought Ponder looked ok. Too bad Locker didn't fall but Ponder might be good too.

Marrdro
08-15-2011, 05:10 PM
Hate to burst your bubble, but Mallett looked pretty great in his first game. I know it's preseason, but who cares. He looks like he is able to move in the pocket and even scramble if need be.

And since you love 40 times so much, here's a couple for you.

Ryan Mallett - 5.37
Tom Brady - 5.23
Peyton - 4.8

None of these guys are fast, and none are asked to run to make plays happen. After watching the highlights I think Mallett will be a great QB in the NFL. I honestly wish we would have taken him.
How are you bursting my bubble? I never once said anything about his play. The discussion point is centered on how defenses are evolving and how it will affect QB's that aren't mobile.

Take a look around the league, teams (Pats/Jets/Bronco's/Texans etc) that are predominantly 3-4 teams are now starting to make the shift back to 4-3 teams and they are really focusing on adding DT's in the middle to collapse the pocket so that they can take away the short/quick releases that come from the 3 and 5 step drops.

Mix in the trend that staffs have looked at with respect to QB's ability to over come this and it isn't that far off to think that guys that can't move won't last thats all.

Marrdro
08-15-2011, 05:10 PM

How many frickin nicknames do you have? Do you have a spreadsheet for that too?
LOL, no I don't.

Marrdro
08-15-2011, 05:14 PM

That is because we changed the scheme and moved away from that crap you always stuck up for. Looks like those yutzs talking about changing it were right. Chalk another one up for me.
LOL, first, they didn't move away from anything. Truth is, they are not only running the ZB scheme, but they are mixing in 3 other schemes as well.

You need to catch up.

Second, just cause I have studied the ZB scheme and understand it (as best as a yutz fan can) doesn't mean I stick up for it.

In the end, you'd better pull your chalk back into your pocket Mr. Right/Wrong. :P

Marrdro
08-15-2011, 05:19 PM

Observations:

Good
a. Toby looks good.

Bad

I figured you would rip on the only person who scored points on this team. Sad. Once again you fail to recognize how horrible our coverage is. I know you have old eyes but DAMN! Missed tackles and bad lanes. LONGwell is just fine.

He couldn't even kick it in the end zone for cripes sake. No one should have to cover a KOff.

I am just glad I don't have to listen to your crap this year on our old shitty blocking scheme, you thought was so great and our x y z blah blah blah WRs. I am loving our new OL scheme and how they said this offense allows WRs to play everywhere.
.....snicker........

We have really what we consider four different schemes. Man schemes, draw schemes and zone schemes and then what we would call our gap schemes. Hopefully we employ all four of those.Ē

Davidson: Four Blocking Schemes Will Be Used
(http://www.vikingsgab.com/2011/07/29/davidson-four-blocking-schemes-will-be-used/)

Hell, at one time, just before this interview he said that he was only gonna run Man and Zone blocking schemes.

Try again my friend. Try again. :P

Marrdro
08-15-2011, 05:22 PM
It is funny that Marrdro was making fun of Webb for a jump pass. Webb is a 3rd string. T-Joke was a 2nd rounder who that douche Chilly moved up for to start!

Its called sarcasim my friend. Should be taken in the same context as wehn I pointed out when Brady, Peyton, and yes, the Noodle did one last year.

Fact is, everyone laughs at TJ over it but if you watch around the league, damn near every QB will do one at some point or another.

HEY
08-15-2011, 06:57 PM
One thing I couldn't help noticing is that the Vikings succeeded in bringing in another safety who can't cover.

While we're at it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eM7LbRbUoHs&feature=mh_lolz&list=LLM21mQ1finZA

I think it's a good thing we didn't convert Chris Cook to safety afterall. :laugh:

marstc09
08-15-2011, 06:59 PM

LOL, first, they didn't move away from anything. Truth is, they are not only running the ZB scheme, but they are mixing in 3 other schemes as well.

You need to catch up.

Second, just cause I have studied the ZB scheme and understand it (as best as a yutz fan can) doesn't mean I stick up for it.

In the end, you'd better pull your chalk back into your pocket Mr. Right/Wrong. :P

You need to do more reading. They have changed it.

marstc09
08-15-2011, 07:02 PM

Observations:

Good
a. Toby looks good.

Bad

He couldn't even kick it in the end zone for cripes sake. No one should have to cover a KOff.

.....snicker........

We have really what we consider four different schemes. Man schemes, draw schemes and zone schemes and then what we would call our gap schemes. Hopefully we employ all four of those.Ē

(http://www.vikingsgab.com/2011/07/29/davidson-four-blocking-schemes-will-be-used/)

Hell, at one time, just before this interview he said that he was only gonna run Man and Zone blocking schemes.

Try again my friend. Try again. :P

IT SAYS HOPEFULLY! That has nothing to do with ZB being the main scheme like last year. Nothing from last night looked like last year. Try again. Face it our OL scheme has been terrible the last few years.

Marrdro
08-15-2011, 07:59 PM
IT SAYS HOPEFULLY! That has nothing to do with ZB being the main scheme like last year. Nothing from last night looked like last year. Try again. Face it our OL scheme has been terrible the last few years.
No one said anything about it being the "MAIN" scheme my friend. :P

I will agree that grading out in the middle of the league is bad, but sure isn't as bad as grading out at the bottom especially when one takes into account that at times we had 3 of our starters out which impacted how well they did play.

Even you will admit that for an OL to function, they need to have consistency. Swapping people in and out because of injury sure doesn't help in that area.

Herrera's absence is starting to worry me. He needs to get back in there and get reps with the other starters or we will be right back in the middle of the league again.

NFL OL Power Rankings (http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=RUSHING_RIGHT_POWER&tabSeq=2&season=2010&role=TM&Submit=Go&archive=true&conference=null&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&qualified=true)

ejmat
08-15-2011, 08:06 PM

I've been saying this for several years now. It's one of the reasons why APs success rate on 3rd and 4th down short yard attempts aren't as high as it can be.

Marrdro
08-15-2011, 08:11 PM

I've been saying this for several years now. It's one of the reasons why APs success rate on 3rd and 4th down short yard attempts aren't as high as it can be.
Some have even countered with the observation that a guy like CT and now Booker seem to do fine finding holes and wonder if AD doesn't miss his cut/read.

Marrdro
08-15-2011, 08:49 PM
What the sports hacks/bloggers are saying.....

Young Vikings show promise in opener
(http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/127699738.html)

Vikings/Titans Thoughts
(http://www.vikingsgab.com/2011/08/14/vikingstitans-thoughts/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+VikingsGab+%28Vikings+Gab%29)

Vikings Special Teams Give Strong Showing
(http://blog.vikings.com/2011/08/15/vikings-special-teams-give-strong-showing/)

Vikings need to work out kinks
(http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/127703543.html)

Vikings At Titans: Pre-Season Report Card
(http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/8/14/2363399/vikings-at-titans-pre-season-report-card)

Freakout
08-15-2011, 08:52 PM

Some have even countered with the observation that a guy like CT and now Booker seem to do fine finding holes and wonder if AD doesn't miss his cut/read.

I often question Peterson's ability to read and react. It is not just the way he often struggles finding holes inside (and yes Chester was better at it) but it relates to his poor pass protection that limits the team from using him more on 3rd downs.

Then again I am one of the crazy fans that would trade him for the right package.

Marrdro
08-15-2011, 08:59 PM

I often question Peterson's ability to read and react. It is not just the way he often struggles finding holes inside (and yes Chester was better at it) but it relates to his poor pass protection that limits the team from using him more on 3rd downs.

Then again I am one of the crazy fans that would trade him for the right package.
I wouldn't go so far as to trade him, but I do think he has issues reading defenses and it limits him in two ways....

1. Pass protection. Most backs have it figured out by now. I'm kindof hoping he does this year as he figured out the fumbling thing last year.

2. Short yardage downs. For the most part his god given talent gets him by, but there is a reason why the staff looked at Gerhart and started to bring him in last year in those situations.

As much as I disliked Theenimy, that clip that they showed of him hacking on AD for not setting up his blockers correctly seems to rings true.

Again, maybe AD is just a bit slower when it comes to picking up the finer nuances of the spot, and truth be told, I really don't care as he seems to do pretty damn good all things considered.

Purple Floyd
08-16-2011, 01:36 AM

You aren't the only one.

I would trade him to the cowboys for half of their defense and 3 number 1 draft picks.

Awwww hell, who would ever give that up for a RB?

gamecocksbaseball31
08-16-2011, 03:59 AM
We are in big trouble in the nickel CB position.
Been saying this for awhile. Asher and Chris Cook are NOT good CB's. One of the reasons I was pretty upset with not going hard after a CB in free agency and not taking Amukamara at 12.

It is funny about the story about Bernard and Favre. McNabb will soon learn why Favre ignored Bernard. He sucks.
Yup.

I hope we don't waste a roster spot on Kleinsasser. It is time to let go. We have plenty of young guys at the TE spot.
With how much we'll be running, yes we need him. He's not going to do anything flashy, but he has pretty sure hands if we need a 3 yd dump off and his blocking is still pretty outstanding. I hope we don't waste a roster spot on a Jeff Dugan.

It is so refreshing to have Booker back there and not Young. Big difference. Who was that yutz so big on Young and not impressed with the Booker signing?
So true. Booker > Young by a long-shot.

Webb > Jackson with only 3-4 games under his belt and no real practice reps.

McNabb will be good. shame on those who did not want him here.
Agree again. I think he is buying into the offense, which uses his skills (rollout and quick passes) well. I believe someone on here was giving a bunch of b.s. about Musgrave and his ways.

Ballard stood out for me. I think Burton and Love could be decent picks as well.
If Ballard works hard he'll be a huge steal. I like Love, he could turn out to be a great value pick. Not that high on Burton right now.

I was disappointed some guys didn't play. Where was Allen and Jenkins?
Fraiser's approach is to have guys healthy and ready to play the opener and be rested through the season. Just read an article on it today actually.

Yup. Should have went after Whitner.

Marrdro
08-16-2011, 01:17 PM
Yup. Should have went after Whitner.
The S class this year wasn't much to shout out loud about but I would have liked him as well.

As to the S's out of position comment. Did you see them out of position or did you see a single S coming over late?

We ran alot of cover 3 (Cloud) looks with a S at the line alot. Pretty hard to see if that the deep guy was out of position.

Zeus
08-16-2011, 01:58 PM
We let Rice go.

C'mon, Singer - you're a great enough football mind to know that's not true. If he wanted to sign elsewhere, there's nothing short of blowing up the cap that the Vikings could have done to keep him.

=Z=

Zeus
08-16-2011, 01:59 PM

You aren't the only one.

I would trade him to the cowboys for half of their defense and 3 number 1 draft picks.

Awwww hell, who would ever give that up for a RB?

When did Mike Lynn start running the Cowpokes?

=Z=

singersp
08-16-2011, 02:06 PM
It is funny that Marrdro was making fun of Webb for a jump pass.

Almost as funny as you & others not making fun of him for doing so.

Marrdro
08-16-2011, 02:11 PM

Some things on PPO you get used to my friend. Double standards are one of them. ;)

Marrdro
08-16-2011, 05:21 PM
Another viewpoint on last week. Of course its a "Hated" Bleacher Report so don't look if you don't want to....

Minnesota Vikings: 5 Winners and Losers from Preseason Week 1 (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/806100-minnesota-vikings-5-winners-and-losers-from-preseason-week-1)

I liked the 5th one the best. ;)

marstc09
08-21-2011, 08:55 PM

Why would I make fun of him?

marstc09
08-21-2011, 08:56 PM

Some things on PPO you get used to my friend. Double standards are one of them. ;)

What double standards? Why would I make fun of him? I never did for T-JOKE. Keep digging.

marstc09
08-21-2011, 09:00 PM

You need to catch up.

Frazier brought in a new offensive line coach, Jeff Davidson, to install a more aggressive, straight-forward blocking system than the zone scheme that was used in previous years.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/128038203.html?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=br_vikings

Marrdro
08-22-2011, 03:52 PM

You need to catch up.

Frazier brought in a new offensive line coach, Jeff Davidson, to install a more aggressive, straight-forward blocking system than the zone scheme that was used in previous years.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/128038203.html?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=br_vikings
And I can pull multiple sources that multiple sources that say he used the ZB scheme over any other.

Zone-blocking scheme just one idea to get Panthers in end zone (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp07/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2961153)

The Carolina Panthers made the switch to zone blocking under offensive coordinator Jeff Davidson for the 2007 season. They had previously employed a man-blocking scheme for a downhill running attack under coordinator Dan Henning, but during the 2006 season, the team's undersized linemen were consistently overpowered by opposing defensive linemen. The power running game became stagnant, and especially ineffective in goal-line/short yardage situations, thus resulting in Henning's firing and the switch to zone blocking. Thanks in part to the new blocking scheme they implemented, the Panthers saw their 2008 campaign characterized by the running of DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart to great effect, gaining them play off status. That season also saw the emergence of rookie Steve Slaton with the Houston Texans under their new Alex Gibbs-designed zone blocking scheme.

Zone Blocking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zone_blocking)

And others that says he is going to use hit here with the most recent one saying he is going to run 4 blocking schemes.

Iím not going to walk in here and say, ĎHey, Iím just a zone-scheme guy or just a man-scheme guy.í We have really what we consider four different schemes. Man schemes, draw schemes and zone schemes and then what we would call our gap schemes. Hopefully we employ all four of those.Ē

Keep trying though. I like these types of conversations, especially when it deals with the bigs inside.;)

On a side note, I've never heard of a Draw Blocking Scheme. I always felt that it fell into the "Gap" scheme. Anyone else out there question this?