PDA

View Full Version : Vikings' Backfield In 2011

HEY
08-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Enjoy Vikings.com's
Final Position-By-Position Breakdowns: QBs, FBs and RBs (http://blog.vikings.com/2011/08/13/final-position-by-position-breakdowns-qbs-fbs-and-rbs/)
... just a few hours before the Vikings finally kick off their season.

My Thoughts

Undoubtedly Starter QB: Donovan McNabb.

And two young guys (Webb and Ponder) that provide good backup.

Unquestionable Starter HB: Adrian Peterson.

Toby Gerhart is a clear number two and will hopefully take some snaps from A.D.
Also, Lorenzo Booker could receive some snaps and is a good option as a pass-catcher.

Likely Starter FB: Ryan D’Imperio.

A bigger threat than Tahi, the former FB, and also a converted LB who will probably play special teams too.
Matt Asiata has earned some praises in training camp, but will likely get cut.
No way we're keeping to FB's!

HEY
08-13-2011, 06:46 PM
Looking over this and I just realize that, at least on paper, the Vikings have a scary good backfield. What other team has a multiple Pro-Bowler at QB and the best running back lined up right behind him (obviously none since there's only one best running back, but you know what I mean! :P )?

Give me a better backfield than ours right now? (and lets pretend McNabb plays better than last season.)

On paper... there are NONE!

kevoncox
08-13-2011, 07:41 PM
Atlanta?
Ryan and Turner.
They also have one of the best WRs in the game. A solid but old TE and a much better line.

HEY
08-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Yes, I was thinking about the Falcons too.

The thing is that I'm not that big on Ryan as many people are. He's just not spectacular to me. Turner is good, but far from as good as Peterson. They have an undoubtedly scary offense this year, but lets just say Donovan McNabb plays like in his prime days. Brett Favre did it at the age of 40 on almost the exact same team so it's possible.

I was also thinking about the Rams. Jackson is a beast and Bradford did good as a rookie, but he needs to show us more in my opinion to be considered in the same league as McNabb.

Marrdro
08-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Who has a better starter/backup QB situation?

Colts - Peyton and whats his name?
Giants - Eli and Sage? I'll take Dnabb over Eli.
Cowgirls - Romo you can keep. I like their backup though if its still Kitna.

AD and Toby are a great primary threat. Mix in what Booker is continuing to do as a 3rd down back I will take our RB's. Who else is better?

CJ in TN? Who is his backup?
Turner is good in Atlanta but they brought back a retread.

FB is hard. I just don't see us using one that much.

Nope, for me, I think we are going to see our RB and QB leading the league atleast in the dumpoff catagory. Lets not forget how great Dnabb makes RB look in the passing game. We saw some quick flashes of that between he and Toby already this weekend and Dnabb didn't even get a chance to work with Booker.

i_bleed_purple
08-14-2011, 05:44 PM

AD and Toby are a great primary threat. Mix in what Booker is continuing to do as a 3rd down back I will take our RB's. Who else is better?

Nope, for me, I think we are going to see our RB and QB leading the league atleast in the dumpoff catagory. Lets not forget how great Dnabb makes RB look in the passing game. We saw some quick flashes of that between he and Toby already this weekend and Dnabb didn't even get a chance to work with Booker.

I like what I'll call our "West Coast package" (trademarked by ibp). Smart QB, good receiving RBs and TE's.

in Philly, DNabb loved his TE's. Made Celek and LJ Smith look pretty damn good. Westbrook and McCoy were used alot as receivers. I think those three positions will be our primary focus this season as an offense. Not alot of deep passing, since we simply don't have the tools at receiver. Harvin and Berrian will clear out and obviously get some use, but on 3rd and 6, I see us coming up with a play drawn up to get a TE or RB out in space.

Although, for just the QB/RB combos, I think Baltimore is up there.

Flacco, Ray Rice and Ricky Williams. That's a pretty nice combination.

Marrdro
08-14-2011, 06:01 PM

I like what I'll call our "West Coast package" (trademarked by ibp). Smart QB, good receiving RBs and TE's.

in Philly, DNabb loved his TE's. Made Celek and LJ Smith look pretty damn good. Westbrook and McCoy were used alot as receivers. I think those three positions will be our primary focus this season as an offense. Not alot of deep passing, since we simply don't have the tools at receiver. Harvin and Berrian will clear out and obviously get some use, but on 3rd and 6, I see us coming up with a play drawn up to get a TE or RB out in space.

Although, for just the QB/RB combos, I think Baltimore is up there.

Flacco, Ray Rice and Ricky Williams. That's a pretty nice combination.
Hmmm, interesting. Didn't think about them. Who is Flacco's backup though?

Johnson14
08-14-2011, 07:15 PM

#2 - Hunter Cantwell and #3 Tyrod Taylor :dry:

Freakout
08-14-2011, 08:07 PM
New Orleans may very well be in the discussion. Brees, Ingram, Thomas, Sproles.

HEY
08-14-2011, 08:29 PM
A good backfield that came to mind is Matt Schaub and Arian Foster.

I think Schaub is very underrated and Foster blew up the league last year. Throw in Owen Daniels and Andre Johnson and you have one heck of a four-headed monster offense.

Johnson14
08-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Schaub has had his injuries, if he can stay healthy then he is one of the elite qb's in the league imho. who is back up in Houston?.. Leinhart?!

midgensa
08-14-2011, 11:33 PM
At first I voted one of the best thinking this was just about the RBs ... but with the QB and FB into the fold I will say that it is good.

I like McNabb. I know that not everyone does. I understand the concerns. But I think he is perfect for what this team needs right now in the pre-Ponder days.

I think D'Imperio could be pretty solid and at least he isn't Tahi.

And of course at RB I think we are fantastic. I think that Peterson, Gerhart and Booker will all be important to this team this season and will all be very solid pieces.

singersp
08-15-2011, 01:06 AM
Unfortunately, a good QB & great RB won't get you very far if the OL doesn't do their job well.

AD still has a lot of work to do to become a better pass blocker. He needs to be the complete package, not just one of the best rushers.

VikesFan787
08-15-2011, 01:27 AM
I am a big Booker fan.

singersp
08-15-2011, 01:29 AM

I'd have to say Rodgers & Flynn are one of the better QB duos, based on what we've seen of Flynn thus far. He was 27-31 against NE last year & passed for 251 yards & 3 TD's.

Purple Floyd
08-15-2011, 02:09 AM

Pittsburgh
New England
New Orleans
Detroit
Green Bay
Tennessee
San Diego
New York
Philly
Indianapolis
Atlanta
Chicago.

Maybe more.

swardsooner
08-15-2011, 04:15 PM
St. Louis: QB Sam Bradford, RB's Steven Jackson, Cadillac Williams, Jerious Norwood...the Rams running game was lightyears ahead of last year in the first pre-season game. And Jackson didn't even play. And 4th running back Toston stole the show.....

Marrdro
08-15-2011, 04:24 PM

#2 - Hunter Cantwell and #3 Tyrod Taylor :dry:
Thanks. I'll take Dnabb and Ponder (or Webb) over those two.

On a side note, I wonder if Flacco will opt to leave when his contract is up. They sure aren't giving him any love in Ravenville.

Marrdro
08-15-2011, 04:28 PM

Pittsburgh
New England
New Orleans
Detroit
Green Bay
Tennessee
San Diego
New York
Philly
Indianapolis
Atlanta
Chicago.

Maybe more.
Steelers have slow windup and even slower delivery Leftwich. I'll take our over that.

Might go with you on Pats though but only cause of Brady.

I think the Saints passing game is gonna suffer a bit this year although I still like what Bree's has done. Call it a draw.

If Rodgers goes down no way Flynn carries that team. We saw it last year.

Even with their starter, the Lions? Comeon my friend. Cat hasn't made it a full year and who is his backup?

Seriously, looks like you just picked some teams and threw them up there. Thats OK though. I understand were your coming from. LOL

Marrdro
08-15-2011, 04:30 PM
St. Louis: QB Sam Bradford, RB's Steven Jackson, Cadillac Williams, Jerious Norwood...the Rams running game was lightyears ahead of last year in the first pre-season game. And Jackson didn't even play. And 4th running back Toston stole the show.....
Question for them is who do they keep?

Said it before, I like what the Rams are doing, but once you get past Bradford, AJ just doesn't make me all warm and fuzzy.

Purple Floyd
08-16-2011, 12:59 AM
Steelers have slow windup and even slower delivery Leftwich. I'll take our over that.

Ben> McChunky
Leftwich > Ponder at this time.

Might go with you on Pats though but only cause of Brady.

Brady > McChunky
Mallet = Ponder

I think the Saints passing game is gonna suffer a bit this year although I still like what Bree's has done. Call it a draw.

Brees> McChunky
Daniels> Ponder

Not even close to a draw.

If Rodgers goes down no way Flynn carries that team. We saw it last year.

Rodgers > McChunky
Flynn > Ponder.

Flynn beat the Pats.

Even with their starter, the Lions? Comeon my friend. Cat hasn't made it a full year and who is his backup?

McChunky > Stafford
Hill > Ponder

Seriously, looks like you just picked some teams and threw them up there. Thats OK though. I understand were your coming from. LOL

Nope, I am just not full of the purple kool aid like you are. McChunky is a has been and Ponder has not proven anything yet.