PDA

View Full Version : Vikings cut Bryant McKinnie

i_bleed_purple
08-02-2011, 08:40 PM
From Adam Schefter:

@AdamSchefter Adam Schefter
Filed to ESPN: Vikings cut OT Bryant McKinnie.

kevoncox
08-02-2011, 08:42 PM
WTF...we couldn't get a stick of gum for him?

delviking
08-02-2011, 08:44 PM
probably not most teams have there 90 man rosters set with who they want to look at. plus we probably have someone in mind to refill us back to 90

kevoncox
I hope we use the cash to sign Edwards or talk moss out of retirement.

midgensa
probably not most teams have there 90 man rosters set with who they want to look at. plus we probably have someone in mind to refill us back to 90

Braylon? That would be nice.

i_bleed_purple
08-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Cutting Mac frees up 4.9 mil in cap space.

now take into account re-doing Ptersons, Greenway, and possibly even Winfields contract, we've got over 10 mil available to us. Pleanty for one more solid addition *coughEdwardscough*

jessejames09
08-02-2011, 08:45 PM
Link? I'm on Schefter's twitter account and espn.com and don't see it..

i_bleed_purple
08-02-2011, 08:46 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter

i_bleed_purple
08-02-2011, 08:46 PM
@JuddZulgad JuddZulgad
Multiple reports now that the Vikings decided in their meeting today to cut Bryant McKinnie, who came into camp extremely out of shape.

i_bleed_purple
08-02-2011, 09:02 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/02/bryant-mckinnie-gets-the-boot/

i_bleed_purple
08-02-2011, 09:03 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/08/02/vikings-release-longtime-lt-mckinnie/?module=HP11_headline_stack

i_bleed_purple
08-02-2011, 09:04 PM
and of course McKinnie has nothing to add, just quotes this:

@BryantMckinnie
RT @skjensen: I've watched Bryant McKinnie work out; he's a physical freak, to be able to move the way he does for a 6 foot 8 man.

Freakout
08-02-2011, 09:09 PM
It sucks because he had the ability but you cannot have players with his salary and position on the team being lazy asses.

He clearly did not care about his performance or else he would have showed up at least somewhat close to being in the proper condition.

I actually credit the team for this decision. This team got complacent last year and the last thing I want is for the guy responsible for protecting my quarterbacks blindside to be lazy.

Chazz
08-02-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm not going to lie...this makes me happy :-) its about time his lazy turn table ass gets cut. Good riddance!

AngloVike
08-02-2011, 09:17 PM
It sucks because he had the ability but you cannot have players with his salary and position on the team being lazy asses.

He clearly did not care about his performance or else he would have showed up at least somewhat close to being in the proper condition.

I actually credit the team for this decision. This team got complacent last year and the last thing I want is for the guy responsible for protecting my quarterbacks blindside to be lazy.

He has actually been lazy for a few years and got away with it. I'm glad to see someone in the organistion actually show some balls and call him out by cutting his fat arse.

i_bleed_purple
08-02-2011, 09:19 PM

He has actually been lazy for a few years and got away with it. I'm glad to see someone in the organistion actually show some balls and call him out by cutting his fat arse.

I actually do like the move.

As much as it will hurt us, as replacing an above average LT is no easy task, I'm glad the FO is taking a stance finally.

No more slackers. It's one thing for a guy like Favre or Pat Williams who are old, but still play at a high level, to miss a couple days I think, but for a starting LT to show up overweight, tweeting every day about partying and rapping, his time has come.

Good Riddance, we won't miss you.

AngloVike
08-02-2011, 09:28 PM
I actually wonder how long Frazier has wanted to do this, as I'm sure this isn't a spur of the moment and has been building for a long time. McKinnies arriving out of shape was just the final straw.

Freakout
08-02-2011, 09:35 PM

Definitely true but last year took it to a new level. He almost never followed through on his blocks. Just because you can deter the pass rusher initially does not mean you just completely stop and watch as your assignment keeps playing.

It was like everyone decided that if the QB hadn't gotten rid of the ball in 3 seconds then he was shit out of luck because they were done protecting him.

Anyway I am happy. Johnson is not the gifted athlete that Mckinnie was as a LT but I believe he will be better simply because he will actually put forth effort.

AngloVike
08-02-2011, 09:37 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NNXQG4ruIUw/TYYLqRnbmgI/AAAAAAAAAnM/YjPjHKkbP78/s1600/drphil.jpg

kevoncox
08-02-2011, 10:01 PM

As much as it will hurt us, as replacing an above average LT is no easy task, I'm glad the FO is taking a stance finally.

No more slackers. It's one thing for a guy like Favre or Pat Williams who are old, but still play at a high level, to miss a couple days I think, but for a starting LT to show up overweight, tweeting every day about partying and rapping, his time has come.

Actually according to Mac...he was told that his cholesterol was too high for him to play by doctors and that he would have to sit out the season. Not sure that makes anysense but... that's his story and he's sticking to it.

i_bleed_purple
08-02-2011, 10:21 PM

Actually according to Mac...he was told that his cholesterol was too high for him to play by doctors and that he would have to sit out the season. Not sure that makes anysense but... that's his story and he's sticking to it.

Mac is so full of shit i can smell him from here. Remember when he got dropped from the probowl for missing practices and meetings because he was busy partying? He told the media he waa hurt. Bs.

Johnson14
08-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Can only applaud Frazier for this move, its been a long time coming, no one, McKinnie included, should be surprised.

Mr Anderson
08-02-2011, 11:04 PM
Is it really better that his cholesterol was the problem, not his weight?

What's this guy's diet like? Chad Johnson eats McDonald's every day and he can still play. The guy is lazy, plain and simple.

His weight caused foot injuries for him in previous seasons. This was a good move.

I wish we tried to move him before putting him on the NFI list, but oh well.

I like the way the general attitude of the team is shaping up so far. Berrian was willing to restructure, Rice's greed took him out of town, Peterson's not holding out, Ponder's eager and McNabb looks happy. Apparently Loadholt came in in great shape as well.

I like the direction we're moving in. I think this is going to be a surprising season.

singersp
08-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Frazier must have read my post this morning and realized he could still make things right;

No, the bad news is the Vikings didn't cut his fat, lazy Gilbert Burger eating ass to make cap room for someone who could contribute to our passing game.

Your Welcome!

:P

MulletMullitia
08-02-2011, 11:42 PM
How can a guy this talented get ruined by C-list celebrities? It reminds me of that scene in the Other Guys. When Samuel L Jackson is talking about their after party. "Everyone is invited to our after party tonight. It's at Butta. Everyone is gonna be there. Bai Ling, Bryant McKinnie, that little short bitch from jersey shore..." Good riddance Bryant! You lazy bum.

Overlord
08-02-2011, 11:53 PM
I kind wonder: if he can't control his weight during the season while playing a sport professionally and now is too fat to even play, how is he going to keep himself healthy when he's not playing? I get the impression that he's going to cut his life short if he keeps treating his body like he does.

It's too bad that this was the right move for the team to make. But such is life. He's not the first guy to not give 100% to his job. He was still a decent player for the Vikes for many years.

Caine
08-03-2011, 12:15 AM

I'm not sad to see him go. He was inconsistent at best, and I was afraid he'd taint Loadholt with his laziness.

Now, where is Marrdro to tell us how we're all wrong about McKinnie, and how we don't really understand the game....

Caine

kevoncox
08-03-2011, 12:19 AM

I'm not sad to see him go. He was inconsistent at best, and I was afraid he'd taint Loadholt with his laziness.

Now, where is Marrdro to tell us how we're all wrong about McKinnie, and how we don't really understand the game....

Caine

I fairness, I was his biggest supporter. I'm not sad to see him go, he really soured on me last season and his dedication to getting better sucked. It really makes me wish that we went OT in the 2nd round and signed Carson or Miller at TE

VikingMike
08-03-2011, 12:31 AM
Frazier must have read my post this morning and realized he could still make things right;

No, the bad news is the Vikings didn't cut his fat, lazy Gilbert Burger eating ass to make cap room for someone who could contribute to our passing game.

Your Welcome!

:P

lmao...now he has plenty of time to be captain of another Love Boat.

VikingMike
08-03-2011, 12:34 AM

Caine

And there, ladies and gents, the proper use of the word "taint".

kramer9guy
08-03-2011, 12:44 AM
Good riddance...

He should have been traded a LONG time ago when he actually still had some value. Never was a fan. Glad he's gone.

MaxVike
08-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Out of shape, not hungry to compete, football is obviously not important to him, off field troubles, bags a Pro-Bowl...dude has disrespected the game, fans, coaches, his family, and himself. Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Hope you were smart with your money, because if you weren't, you should know children can't be legally employed.

Good bye McKinnie, and, thank you Leslie Frazier.

VAVikesFan
08-03-2011, 01:22 AM
aahhhemmm ahhhemmm, if his fatA$$ doesnt want to show up in shape to play, fine, where you at Braylon? seriously, guys, come on.

Purple Blood
08-03-2011, 01:51 AM

What's this guy's diet like? Chad Johnson eats McDonald's every day and he can still play. The guy is lazy, plain and simple.

His weight caused foot injuries for him in previous seasons. This was a good move.

I like the way the general attitude of the team is shaping up so far. Berrian was willing to restructure, Rice's greed took him out of town, Peterson's not holding out, Ponder's eager and McNabb looks happy. Apparently Loadholt came in in great shape as well.

I like the direction we're moving in. I think this is going to be a surprising season.

Best Post so far this Season!!! Also lets not forget the Lazy POS held out his Rookie Year, I lost all respect for him then. I love the new CBA prove that Your worth the Money first.

Mr Anderson
08-03-2011, 02:57 AM

Best Post so far this Season!!! Also lets not forget the Lazy POS held out his Rookie Year, I lost all respect for him then. I love the new CBA prove that Your worth the Money first.
Thanks and welcome to the site.

And to think I was defending McKinnie just last season. I always thought he had the ability to turn it around, but this off season, via twitter, I lost any remaining doubt I had in the belief that he's a total waste of a roster spot, money and talent. All the guy cares about is money and fame, but he has no interest in working hard to achieve it.

MulletMullitia
08-03-2011, 03:08 AM
For those of you who wanted to see, here is a picture from practice. He looks WAY over 350. He is supposed to be 330. He is at least 30 lbs overweight. Probably closer to 40-50.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site569/2011/0802/20110802_015719_mckinnie.jpg

Freakout
08-03-2011, 03:16 AM
For those of you who wanted to see, here is a picture from practice. He looks WAY over 350. He is supposed to be 330. He is at least 30 lbs overweight. Probably closer to 40-50.

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site569/2011/0802/20110802_015719_mckinnie.jpg

Just imagine throwing a pair of shoulder pads on him. Would have been like watching Chris Farley in the movie Tommy Boy.

Fat guy in little coat........

MulletMullitia
08-03-2011, 03:23 AM

Just imagine throwing a pair of shoulder pads on him. Would have been like watching Chris Farley in the movie Tommy Boy.

He's not wearing shoulder pads? Lol

MulletMullitia
08-03-2011, 04:01 AM
@JuddZulgad: McKinnie story should be up shortly on Strib site but he weighed nearly 400 pounds.

@ShawnZobel_DHQ: I was told that Bryant McKinnie weighed 390 lbs, which resulted in him being held out

Damn! He is even bigger than I thought!

mad-dog_six-eight
08-03-2011, 04:25 AM

He's not wearing shoulder pads? Lol

hahahahahahahahahahahaha made my day right there

bbqplatypus318
08-03-2011, 05:50 AM
Some people on the national scene seem shocked at this move. Frankly, I'm shocked that they're shocked.

1. The man is making $5 million on a team that is strapped for cash.
2. H hasn't performed at an acceptable level for a few years now.
3. He has NEVER played up to his potential.
4. This team won't make the playoffs this year with or without him, so it's best to move on and build for the future.
5. He showed up to camp weighing 400 fuckmothering pounds.

Not that complicated, people.

Freya
08-03-2011, 07:14 AM
Oh. Happy. Day.

This news brought me a long awaited moment of blissful euphoria.

Freya
08-03-2011, 07:16 AM

Caine

Actually, Caine........I do believe that Loadholt had already begun to emulate McKinnie. He played better during his rookie season than he did last year. The taint was done. Lets hope he snaps out of it.

MulletMullitia
08-03-2011, 07:22 AM

Caine

Actually, Caine........I do believe that Loadholt had already begun to emulate McKinnie. He played better during his rookie season than he did last year. The taint was done. Lets hope he snaps out of it.

Actually, he worked out with Larry Fitzgerald's camp this offseason, and has been getting more compliments than anyone in camp. He's in shape and working hard. I'm very proud of him! He has the potential to be great.

Freya
08-03-2011, 07:25 AM

Caine

Actually, he worked out with Larry Fitzgerald's camp this offseason, and has been getting more compliments than anyone in camp. He's in shape and working hard. I'm very proud of him! He has the potential to be great.

This is good news. I'm looking forward to seeing how much of that he brings to the game.

singersp
08-03-2011, 12:43 PM
Some people on the national scene seem shocked at this move. Frankly, I'm shocked that they're shocked.

I'm not shocked that you're shocked that they're shocked.

ConnecticutViking
08-03-2011, 07:19 PM
This Fat B@st@rd came into camp at 400 pounds. 65 pounds overweight! Effin Jenny Craig!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Vikings-release-McKinnie-after-he-showed-up-to-c?urn=nfl-wp4459

Minniman
08-03-2011, 07:35 PM
This Fat B@st@rd came into camp at 400 pounds. 65 pounds overweight! Effin Jenny Craig!

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Vikings-release-McKinnie-after-he-showed-up-to-c?urn=nfl-wp4459
McKinnie was not playing at the official weight last season, and the Vikings staff told him to cut down in the off-season.

When McKinnie came to camp with more weight, the coaches likely told him he could not play until his weight was improved. My guess is that the Vikings told McKinnie he would have to restructure his contract. If so, it is likely that Bryant McKinnie and his agent balked at that.

The Vikings placed McKinnie on the NFI list, which should relieve the Vikings of obligations for future salary, and they cut him the next day.

i_bleed_purple
08-03-2011, 07:37 PM

McKinnie was not playing at the official weight last season, and the Vikings staff told him to cut down in the off-season.

When McKinnie came to camp with more weight, the coaches likely told him he could not play until his weight was improved. My guess is that the Vikings told McKinnie he would have to restructure his contract. If so, it is likely that Bryant McKinnie and his agent balked at that.

The Vikings placed McKinnie on the NFI list, which should relieve the Vikings of obligations for future salary, and they cut him the next day.

According to KFAN the Vikes made no attempt to re-negotiate salary with McKinnie. They were just fed up with his attitude.

2beersTommy
08-03-2011, 07:52 PM

I call that BUFF

Big Ugly Fat F***!

2beersTommy
08-03-2011, 07:53 PM

According to KFAN the Vikes made no attempt to re-negotiate salary with McKinnie. They were just fed up with his attitude.

as they should have been...the team has been served notice with his release.

jmcdon00
08-03-2011, 07:59 PM
With Favre, Moss and now McKinnie gone I think everyone on the team will have to work to stay on the team. No more slackers!

BloodyHorns82
08-03-2011, 08:26 PM
With Favre, Moss and now McKinnie gone I think everyone on the team will have to work to stay on the team. No more slackers!

I wonder if that will deter any free agents from signing. :laugh:

2beersTommy
08-03-2011, 08:29 PM

I wonder if that will deter any free agents from signing. :laugh:
who the F cares, if they dont want to work hard..they dont play here

Minniman
08-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Considering the Head Coach and Assistant Head Coach are former '95 Bears under Ditka, did anyone expect anything else?

Football is a game of Ability, Skill, Intelligence, Commitment, and Discipline. Slackers need not apply.

Zeus
08-03-2011, 08:42 PM
http://www.starstore.com/acatalog/praise-jebus.jpg

=Z=

AngloVike
08-03-2011, 09:07 PM

and that alone is reason enough to cut his fat arse

NodakPaul
08-03-2011, 10:57 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-vikings-mcnabbslt

“My philosophy, this is my job. This is my livelihood,” defensive end Jared Allen(notes) said. “You’ve got to assume the lockout is going to be done at some point, so it’s your job to stay in shape. Everybody can find a gym.”

In a telling sign of the organization’s frustration with McKinnie, they immediately gave his No. 74 jersey, which he has worn for the past nine seasons, to Johnson.

BloodyHorns82
08-03-2011, 11:12 PM
I think McKinnie really wanted that year off and was banking on an agreement NOT being reached. Whoops.

Well, looks like he'll be getting that year off after all.

i_bleed_purple
08-04-2011, 05:54 PM
McKinnie's summer of tweets (blogs.citypages.com/blotter/2011/08/bryant_mckinnie_vikings_twitter_lil_kim_shay_buckee_johnson_sheneka_adams_luther_campbell_jeanette_jenkins_strip_club_miami.php)

purplehelmut
08-04-2011, 06:19 PM
Guy was underperforming on an OL that continues to underperform. New blood was needed. When we first got him I was excited. Last couple years I would iso on him during plays and came away very unimpressed. He looked lazy and slow. Need some blocking for Peterson this year.

Formo
08-04-2011, 06:30 PM
McKinnie.. Isn't that the guy who'd get burnt by a pass rusher allowing a sack then stand there like a doofus watching Favre peel himself off the turf?

Is this that guy?

/cheer

Formo
08-04-2011, 06:30 PM
McKinnie.. Isn't that the guy who'd get burnt by a pass rusher allowing a sack then stand there like a doofus watching Favre peel himself off the turf?

Is this that guy?

/cheer

BloodyHorns82
08-04-2011, 06:56 PM

Is this that guy?

/cheer

Yeah, that was pathetic. If you're fat, lazy, and letting your QB get murdered, the least you can do is offer a hand to get him up.

Trying to pass block more than then a simple push off on the DE would have been a nice touch too.

vikinggreg
08-09-2011, 12:38 AM
Agent Drew Rosenhaus is seeking $2.5 million for former Vikings OT Bryant McKinnie, according to an email he has sent to all 32 NFL teams.

Link (http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/08/08/agent-seeking-2-5-million-for-ex-viking-mckinnie/?module=HP11_headline_stack)

According to moving the chains today on sirius radio Childress was on and said he heard McKinnie's cholesterol levels were through the roof and that cutting McKinnie had as much to do with his health $ safety as well I guess his lack of dedication to the team

AngloVike
08-09-2011, 09:57 AM
Agent Drew Rosenhaus is seeking $2.5 million for former Vikings OT Bryant McKinnie, according to an email he has sent to all 32 NFL teams.

Link (http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/08/08/agent-seeking-2-5-million-for-ex-viking-mckinnie/?module=HP11_headline_stack)

According to moving the chains today on sirius radio Childress was on and said he heard McKinnie's cholesterol levels were through the roof and that cutting McKinnie had as much to do with his health $ safety as well I guess his lack of dedication to the team

well hope McKinnie appreciates that aspect of things, though bet he'll choose to ignore it. No sign of him getting snapped up yet so guess he'll be waiting for a team to be looking for OL depth or have an injury to a starter. Is there any timescales in which he has to be signed by in order to play this season? Sure I read that, if the Vikes kept thim, then he would need to have been off the NFI list before season start to play, does the same apply when signing elsewhere?

El Vikingo
08-09-2011, 10:29 AM
This must be of your interest ,just in case you dont find a team

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan%27s_Hot_Dog_Eating_Contest