Atlanta Falcons
2010 STATS
Rec41
Yds505
TD2
Avg12.3
Long43
YAC81
The Atlanta Falcons released Jenkins on Friday morning, and already many people around the NFL are linking him to the Vikings because offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave used to be the Falcons' quarterbacks coach. That means Jenkins will know the Vikings offense and be ready to step in right away when newly signed free agents are able to begin practicing Aug. 4.

To be clear, Jenkins is a much different receiver than Rice. He's a classic possession type, with dependable hands and a good work ethic. He's not going to make plays happen downfield on his own, but he'll be in the place that Donovan McNabb (or Christian Ponder) expects him to be.

I have no inside knowledge a deal is imminent. It's just one that makes a lot of sense for both sides.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/29109/michael-jenkins-makes-sense-for-vikings

Speculation from Siefert. Not at the top of my wish list.

i_bleed_purple
07-29-2011, 05:11 PM
Career 100 Yard Receiving Games: Hank Baskett 3, Devin Aromashodu 1, Michael Jenkins 0

jargomcfargo
07-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Career 100 Yard Receiving Games: Hank Baskett 3, Devin Aromashodu 1, Michael Jenkins 0

It would be very disappointing if this becomes their answer to the loss of Rice.

delviking
07-29-2011, 05:33 PM
I live in GA and have many friends who are Falcon fans, while there not torn up about lossing Jenkins they do have reservations on Julio Jones since most recievers take 3 yrs before they get it.

Hes a dependable WR not going to win you games on his own but will get key 1st down when needed. Id not hate the signing but Hes not gonna lite it up either, A good option on the outside to have our Playmaker WR harvin to be back into the slot.

12purplepride28
07-29-2011, 06:23 PM

It would be very disappointing if this becomes their answer to the loss of Rice.

Can't be any more disappointing than Chillys answer to Moss leaving. Hank Baskett.

ejmat
07-29-2011, 06:31 PM
He'd be a good guy to replace Camarillo if he goes. I still want Floyd, Jones or Edwards in that order if I had my pick of WRs.

midgensa
07-29-2011, 07:13 PM
I like Michael Jenkins in the mix, but if they bring him in here and don't land a James Jones or Malcolm Floyd type as well, then it will likely not be enough.

tastywaves
07-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Michael Jenkins
#12 WR
Atlanta Falcons
2010 STATS
Rec41
Yds505
TD2
Avg12.3
Long43
YAC81
The Atlanta Falcons released Jenkins on Friday morning, and already many people around the NFL are linking him to the Vikings because offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave used to be the Falcons' quarterbacks coach. That means Jenkins will know the Vikings offense and be ready to step in right away when newly signed free agents are able to begin practicing Aug. 4.

To be clear, Jenkins is a much different receiver than Rice. He's a classic possession type, with dependable hands and a good work ethic. He's not going to make plays happen downfield on his own, but he'll be in the place that Donovan McNabb (or Christian Ponder) expects him to be.

I have no inside knowledge a deal is imminent. It's just one that makes a lot of sense for both sides.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/29109/michael-jenkins-makes-sense-for-vikings

Speculation from Siefert. Not at the top of my wish list.

Silly yutz reporter. Thinking Sydney was capable of making plays downfield. He obviously hasn't seen his 40 time.

Marrdro
07-29-2011, 08:26 PM
If you go back and read the last three paragraphs closely, you’ll discover that the only season Jenkins, Musgrave and Stewart were all in Atlanta together was Jenkins most productive campaign in terms of TDs.

Vikings A Suitor For WR Michael Jenkins?
(http://blog.vikings.com/2011/07/29/vikings-a-suitor-for-wr-michael-jenkins/)
Would help to have someone on the roster that not only understands the scheme but was productive not only in it, but in the role Rice played for us.

Just saying.

Still have my fingers crossed on Floyd at this point as it seems they aren't even looking at Plax.

Marrdro
07-29-2011, 08:29 PM
Silly yutz reporter. Thinking Sydney was capable of making plays downfield. He obviously hasn't seen his 40 time.
I don't think anyone ever said that Rice didn't make plays downfield. I think the point that was trying to be made was that Rice wasn't gonna run a 8 or a 9 route in the time a deep threat guy would.

Given time, anyone can run a 8 or a 9 route but thats not how one is effective. One is effecitve when you can out run the CB and even the S who is giving help over the top.

Rice never could do that unless of course the QB scrambled around for his life and gave him the time.

HEY
07-29-2011, 08:38 PM
I gotta say, I don't have very high thoughts of Jenkins. He has never impressed me, but then again, I doesn't exactly watch a lot of Falcons games either. Give us Roddy White instead! Now that would be something. :)

tastywaves
07-29-2011, 08:39 PM
I don't think anyone ever said that Rice didn't make plays downfield. I think the point that was trying to be made was that Rice wasn't gonna run a 8 or a 9 route in the time a deep threat guy would.

Given time, anyone can run a 8 or a 9 route but thats not how one is effective. One is effecitve when you can out run the CB and even the S who is giving help over the top.

Rice never could do that unless of course the QB scrambled around for his life and gave him the time.

The point I was trying to make with Rice is that he doesn't have to outrun the coverage to give you the same impact. Still demands a corner and safety, and can still get deep enough to create space for others.

Very similar to TO's impact...although TO was much a bigger threat after the catch as well.

And he isn't that slow. I think I posted 40 times on these guys before that show Sydney actually had faster times than Berrian coming out of college.

Vikings WR 40 times (http://40-yard-dash-times.com/minnesota-vikings-wr.html)

Marrdro
07-29-2011, 08:40 PM
I gotta say, I don't have very high thoughts of Jenkins. He has never impressed me, but then again, I doesn't exactly watch a lot of Falcons games either. Give us Roddy White instead! Now that would be something. :)
I hear ya my friend. Although, I think his numbers were OK considering the scheme they run.

I would think you could add 10-15 more to his totals considering the scheme Musgrove is gonna run.

That is, unless you think for some reason Musgrove is gonna try to run the Falcons scheme, which I dont.

Purple Floyd
07-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Sounds like a great compliment to McChunky. Now all we need to do is trade AP for a marginal RB and we will have the trifecta.

Marrdro
07-29-2011, 08:46 PM

The point I was trying to make with Rice is that he doesn't have to outrun the coverage to give you the same impact. Still demands a corner and safety, and can still get deep enough to create space for others.

Very similar to TO's impact...although TO was much a bigger threat after the catch as well.

And he isn't that slow. I think I posted 40 times on these guys before that show Sydney actually had faster times than Berrian coming out of college.
OK, I'm with you on that point. Its just that he isn't gonna get deep much. His best use is working the short to intermediate stuff and in the Red Zone were he can get there quick and either body the reciever out or out jump them.

That isn't speed related.

tastywaves
07-29-2011, 09:06 PM

OK, I'm with you on that point. Its just that he isn't gonna get deep much. His best use is working the short to intermediate stuff and in the Red Zone were he can get there quick and either body the reciever out or out jump them.

That isn't speed related.

I think we can agree that Sydney is better utilized on short to intermediate routes, but that's simply because he is effective at it. Why waste his talents and energy by having him go deep every time, get a one trick pony for that job.

I think Rice is quite capable of getting deep and being effective, it just doesn't make sense to isolate him in this role when he can offer much more. At least in what our offense has been running.

Johnson14
07-31-2011, 12:22 AM
Not hating the Jenkins acquisition, got nice size, 6'4.

gamecocksbaseball31
07-31-2011, 01:52 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/30/michael-jenkins-joins-the-vikings/

Don't mind it, but would like to see Braylon or Floyd come in as well. Jenkins is a great run blocker so I'm not surprised at all to see him come in here.

MindCrimes67
07-31-2011, 02:29 AM
Awesome another #2 or 3 receiver, just what we needed...

SharperImage
07-31-2011, 02:57 AM

+1

VikesFan787
07-31-2011, 04:20 AM
I don't think anyone on this site is going to be happy with a single player the Vikings ever sign. God, so much negativity. I strongly believe we have a good chance with McNabb.

BTW...
Does this mean no Floyd or are we still expected to sign some more players?

i_bleed_purple
07-31-2011, 04:27 AM

#2 is being quite generous.

Johnson14
07-31-2011, 01:39 PM

#2 is being quite generous.

haha.. was always going to happen with the new OC bringing in some of his old players.. just a shame he didnt bring Roddy with him instead :(

singersp
07-31-2011, 01:50 PM

Oh well, there's always the 2012 season to look forward to.

VikesFan787
07-31-2011, 04:16 PM
Why is everyone so negative?

Purple Floyd
07-31-2011, 04:38 PM

Imagine who they will replace Adrian Peterson with. Probably Portis lol

VikesFan787
07-31-2011, 04:42 PM

Imagine who they will replace Adrian Peterson with. Probably Portis lol

Let's cut him now so that we can bring in Tiki. lol

kevoncox
07-31-2011, 04:51 PM
I think everyone is negative because the guy hasn't shown anything his whole career. He's a solid number #2, when we need a number #1. We are already full of guys than can classified as #2's skill wise.

jessejames09
07-31-2011, 04:56 PM
Good signing imo. He was a good #2 option in Atlanta, and their passing game was fairly productive.

Seattle simply overpaid Syd. I think this is the more responsible move, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Jenkins has a better year than Rice. Not saying I would rather have Jenkins but SEA certainly has a history of signing our WRs to $49 million dollar deals and letting them rot.

VikesFan787
07-31-2011, 05:03 PM
I think everyone is negative because the guy hasn't shown anything his whole career. He's a solid number #2, when we need a number #1. We are already full of guys than can classified as #2's skill wise.

That's ok. I hear he is a good run blocker.

And everyone says we need a solid second team.

mountainviking
07-31-2011, 05:03 PM
Percy Harvin is pretty much Adrian Peterson in a WR. I can't think of any other Vikings with the balance and strength to take hits like they do and keep on cooking downfield!?! IF he is our no.1 target and ends up getting more touches, I'm totally down with that, cuz he's most likely going to get more YAC too.

BB and MJ aren't terrible as a pair of 2.5s...IF they can stay healthy. Besides, we're also going to see plenty of TE targets and I suspect, quite possibly, more than a few more AP and TG targets too! ;)

Oh, And, Booker!

Freakout
07-31-2011, 05:20 PM

Unfortunately there are no #1's available. Braylon is the closest thing available to being a #1 but even that is a stretch.

So you either go cheap by adding a average receiver or you overpay and get stuck with Berrian 2.0

ejmat
08-01-2011, 07:27 PM
Here's my take for what it's worth. I truly want Floyd but I am okay with jenkins. He's a guy that was over-shadowed by Roddy White. I'm not saying that's bad. He has good size and hands. He's a great possession WR. Oh yeah, he also knows the system very well.

I agree we don't have a #1 but Berrian (if healthy) can stretch the field. Jenkins can as well but he wasn't used for that since they had White.

Let's put it this way. If he averages just 3 catches per game he's already doing better than Rice did without Favre in his entire Viking career. So for all the people that are mad because we didn't overpay Rice don't think that he was all that productive unless Favre was throwing him the ball. Yes, he's good. Very good. He has good hands, size and body control. However what has he really done without Favre? Not too much. Therefore I am glad we got the cheaper option and we still have some talent (albeit uncovered) at the WR position.

Berrian
Harvin
Jenkins
Arceneaux
Jaymar Johnson
Stephen Burton

That being said I would still love for the Vikings to replace berrian with Floyd if possible. But if Berrian can stay healthy and have the year he did with TJ and Gus I think we are doing okay there.

midgensa
08-01-2011, 07:30 PM
The Jenkins signing is very good for us. It just leaves a little to be desired.

If Berrian is ready to get back to stretching the field we are in good shape.

Those that think Harvin cannot be a "No. 1" receiver I think are in for a surprise. I think Harvin is going to have a monster season this year.

I also am very eager to see what Arceneaux has to offer. Though I fear all those that have hope for Jaymar are really clinging to desperation. At this point it is difficult for me to believe he is an NFL receiver.

And you forgot Aromashodu who will definitely make the roster as the No. 4 or No. 5 guy behind Berrian, Harvin, Jenkins and/or Arceneaux.

Marrdro
08-01-2011, 08:59 PM
I'm curious. How many people on here think that the #1 reciever is the deep threat?

Purple Floyd
08-01-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm curious. How many people on here think that the #1 reciever is the deep threat?

That term means different things to different people Marr.

To most it means the WR that is targeted most often, has the most yards, the most receptions etc and not necessarily whether they play inside, outside, run a 7,8,9 or 46 route.

delviking
08-01-2011, 10:06 PM
i did a look over our Recievers listed on vikings.com

we currently have 11 guys competeing for 5-6 spots all of which other than Harvin are all over 6 feet most with the exceptions of berrian and johnson are over 200 lbs.

so we have been going taller and bigger at our WR postion.

of course it more like 3-4 positions being fought over,
with Harvin, Jenkins being really the only two i see as set, Berrian is 70/30 set in my mind, Devin A and the CFL kid being 50/50 with everyone else going to have to impress or bring something the others dont to the table.

oppoldassoc
08-01-2011, 10:20 PM
I feel like Harvin, Jenkins, Camarillo, and Aromashadu are locks to make the team. Berrian would be too but he has a big cap # and I could still see him getting cut to save salary if one of these younger guys (Arceneaux, Burton, Johnson, etc.) steps up. The Vikes got a bunch of guys that could make decent #2 or 3 receivers but no real #1 guy.

kevoncox
08-01-2011, 10:30 PM

Typically when people are talking #1's they are talking # of targets, not a skill set. #1's typically can do it all ( deep, over the middle, jump balls, screens etc)

Wrs I consider #1's in our division - Calvin, Jennings...
So it's not about a skill set but more about ability to dominate.

midgensa
08-01-2011, 10:32 PM

Typically when people are talking #1's they are talking # of targets, not a skill set. #1's typically can do it all ( deep, over the middle, jump balls, screens etc)

By this definition there is no reason to consider Percy anything other than a No. 1 at this point.

kevoncox
08-01-2011, 10:39 PM

By this definition there is no reason to consider Percy anything other than a No. 1 at this point.

Jump ball? Deep ball. He simply is not that polished a WRs. Not a knock on him but at FL he didn't have the ability to polish his WR skills as he was a feature back and a WR. There is no surprise he can dominate the slot but needs work on the outside. route running takes time as it's an artform.

ejmat
08-02-2011, 11:52 AM
The Jenkins signing is very good for us. It just leaves a little to be desired.

If Berrian is ready to get back to stretching the field we are in good shape.

Those that think Harvin cannot be a "No. 1" receiver I think are in for a surprise. I think Harvin is going to have a monster season this year.

I also am very eager to see what Arceneaux has to offer. Though I fear all those that have hope for Jaymar are really clinging to desperation. At this point it is difficult for me to believe he is an NFL receiver.

And you forgot Aromashodu who will definitely make the roster as the No. 4 or No. 5 guy behind Berrian, Harvin, Jenkins and/or Arceneaux.
Ah yes MIdge. Thanks. I did forget about Aromashodu. A guy that can actually stretch the field.

PackSux!
08-02-2011, 07:05 PM

Jump ball? Deep ball. He simply is not that polished a WRs. Not a knock on him but at FL he didn't have the ability to polish his WR skills as he was a feature back and a WR. There is no surprise he can dominate the slot but needs work on the outside. route running takes time as it's an artform.

I have seen Harvin make some great jumping catches. Remember the one that he did in the endzone where the little man got up higher then the defenders and landed in bounds? I have also seen him catch the ball over the top on the deep routes. So in the end I guess we can all call him our number one reciever. I know I already do.

i_bleed_purple
08-02-2011, 07:08 PM

I have seen Harvin make some great jumping catches. Remember the one that he did in the endzone where the little man got up higher then the defenders and landed in bounds? I have also seen him catch the ball over the top on the deep routes. So in the end I guess we can all call him our number one reciever. I know I already do.

I agree, but don't agree.

Percy is obviously our best receiver, and OUR #1, but I don't see him as quite #1 type just yet.

The true #1 needs to be a guy that is your go-to guy. A guy who can do everything. Percy's fast, and can beat anybody deep. He's also a tough little SOB, so going over the middle isn't an issue. However, we have seen a fair share of drops from him, and his route running does need improvement. I think a top-tier veteran Corner can take him out of the game, especially if he plays outside. Play him inside, and that's another story.

I think he needs to study Hines Ward's game. Both are smaller, tough receivers. Ward isn't that fast, but he's a fantastic route runner, and is always good for the short/mid range passes to pick up that first down. He's not a flashy or explosive player, just always consistently good. (redundantly redundant)

I can see him becoming a Steve Smith type player, possibly even better, but he's not there quite yet.

VikesFan787
08-02-2011, 07:19 PM
I would rather have 3 or 4 good #2 and #3 receivers than 1 great #1 and garbage at #2 and #3.

Just my opinion presented with a ton of numbers.

i_bleed_purple
08-02-2011, 07:20 PM
I would rather have 3 or 4 good #2 and #3 receivers than 1 great #1 and garbage at #2 and #3.

I wouldn't

Remember the days with Travis Taylor, Marcus Robinson, Troy Williamson, Robert Ferguson, Bobby Wade, etc.

That was baaaad.

2beersTommy
08-02-2011, 07:33 PM

I wouldn't

Remember the days with Travis Taylor, Marcus Robinson, Troy Williamson, Robert Ferguson, Bobby Wade, etc.

That was baaaad.

I do :pinch: talk about fugly

midgensa
08-02-2011, 07:59 PM

I wouldn't

That was baaaad.
Wait a second. He said he would rather 3 or 4 GOOD No. 2 and No. 3 receivers.

None of those guys fit that mold. They are all average or bad No. 3 receivers or worse.

I am personally pretty happy with Harvin, Berrian, Jenkins and Aromoshadu ... especially because I think that McNabb still has something in the tank and I have seen what he has done with much worse receivers before.

Harvin is legit. Everyone acts like all he can do is come from the slot, but he is developing and I personally think he is ready to have a monster year. Great route runner, solid speed, tough to tackle and good hands. He will be a great target for McNabb this season.

i_bleed_purple
08-02-2011, 08:04 PM

I wouldn't

That was baaaad.
Wait a second. He said he would rather 3 or 4 GOOD No. 2 and No. 3 receivers.

None of those guys fit that mold. They are all average or bad No. 3 receivers or worse.

That's how they turned out, but remember at the time, we were pumped because although we had no star on the team, we thought we were very deep.

But a bunch of decent #2/3 players don't make a passing game better if you don't have an actual good player to take some focus off them.

I am personally pretty happy with Harvin, Berrian, Jenkins and Aromoshadu ... especially because I think that McNabb still has something in the tank and I have seen what he has done with much worse receivers before.
I would say there are worse positions to be in. I would really have liked to see

Berrian----------------XXOXXTE
------------Harvin--------------------------------Floyd/Jones

with Jenkins/Aromashodu rotating in and out.

Harvin is legit. Everyone acts like all he can do is come from the slot, but he is developing and I personally think he is ready to have a monster year. Great route runner, solid speed, tough to tackle and good hands. He will be a great target for McNabb this season.

I don't think anybody thinks Harvin is a one trick pony. But a young guy like that, learning yet another new system needs to be played to his strengths, which is the slot.

Look at Welker. He's got the skills to play outside, but he thrives in the slot. Same should be done where possible with Harvin. And like Harvin, I don't think Welker is really a #1 go-to receiver you line up outside. He can probably be alright at it, but not as good as from the slot.

Johnson14
08-02-2011, 10:37 PM
I wouldn't

That was baaaad.

Think i just threw up in my mouth a lil, surpressed.. memory.. coming.. back.. damn you IBP!! :laugh:

VAVikesFan
08-03-2011, 02:49 PM
I mean Michael Jenkins is fairly good and all don't get me wrong, my question is will he really match up with our offense as another #2 & #3 reciever(which he is) I mean seriously his numbers aren't that impressive if we are looking to put some points on the board, and in terms of his production, I hope he can produce like he did in 2007, 2008, and little 2009. I'm not hating, good pick up but now that we've cut some weight(B.McKinnie) we should definately be looking at a Malcolm Floyd or Braylon Edwards to take some pressure off McNabb in the pocket, I know we are a run-first offense but we need some balance as well between downs.

NDVikingFan66
08-03-2011, 03:20 PM
I don't think a number one guy is your slot or deep or whatever, but the guy everyone in the world knows you are going to when a big catch needs to be made, and no one can stop that from happening.

For all I care, that guy can be my tight end.

That's my number 1 guy.

kevoncox
08-03-2011, 03:29 PM
I don't think a number one guy is your slot or deep or whatever, but the guy everyone in the world knows you are going to when a big catch needs to be made, and no one can stop that from happening.

For all I care, that guy can be my tight end.

That's my number 1 guy.
Again, you guys a mixing terms

#1 guy =/= A #1 WR.

ejmat
08-03-2011, 03:48 PM
I mean Michael Jenkins is fairly good and all don't get me wrong, my question is will he really match up with our offense as another #2 & #3 reciever(which he is) I mean seriously his numbers aren't that impressive if we are looking to put some points on the board, and in terms of his production, I hope he can produce like he did in 2007, 2008, and little 2009. I'm not hating, good pick up but now that we've cut some weight(B.McKinnie) we should definately be looking at a Malcolm Floyd or Braylon Edwards to take some pressure off McNabb in the pocket, I know we are a run-first offense but we need some balance as well between downs.
Michael Jenkins should work just fine with the Vikings offense since he came from the same team our new Offensive Coordinator came from. He probably has a better grasp of our offense than anyone else does right now. IMO this was a good pick up.

That said i would still love to bring in Floyd however, if I look at it from a GM (or TOA) perspective I can see why they would keep Berrian. He was willing to restructure his contract and he does have the capability (when healthy) to stretch the field. We'll see how it all works out.

Minniman
08-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Michael Jenkins should work just fine with the Vikings offense since he came from the same team our new Offensive Coordinator came from. He probably has a better grasp of our offense than anyone else does right now. IMO this was a good pick up.

That said i would still love to bring in Floyd however, if I look at it from a GM (or TOA) perspective I can see why they would keep Berrian. He was willing to restructure his contract and he does have the capability (when healthy) to stretch the field. We'll see how it all works out.
Floyd plays a lot like Rice. It would have made sense to replace Rice with a player who has similar catching and route running ability.

Jenkins has always been a possession guy. I do not expect him to go deep and go up for the ball.

Aromashodu has physical skills, but ask Bears fans how many picks he allows because he is not where the quarterback expects him to be on any given play. Poor routes can make a quarterback look bad.

Berrian faded with Favre for similar reasons; he ran poor routes, could not get open, and he dropped too many balls. Will his hands get better this season?

In 2010, Favre was without Rice, and that was a recipe for failure. I stated before the season started that it was going to be a poor year for the Vikings partially because Rice decided to do surgery too late. The roster had no one to replace his skill set, and it still may not. Floyd has similar skills. I would like to see the Vikings sign him and let the best receivers make the team in camp.