PDA

View Full Version : 6 Veterans Who Should Be Cut Or Restructure

jargomcfargo
07-26-2011, 03:46 PM
With the Vikings reportedly $5.1 million over the salary cap, yet desperately in need of a re-make at several positions on the roster — offensive line, safety and perhaps wide receiver too — Minnesota may have to follow Baltimore’s lead and jettison a few veterans to make space. They could also give Adrian Peterson and Chad Greenway contract extensions. The two of them are reportedly set to count about $22 million combined against the cap. And that could be reduced to a more reasonable $14-16 million total — I’m thinking about $8-10 million for Peterson and $6 million per season for Greenway.

Madieu Williams – set to make $5.4 million each year from 2011-2013
Bernard Berrian – set to make $3.9 million in 2011, $6.9 million in 2012, and $7.9 million in 2013
Jim Kleinsasser – set to make $3 million in 2011
Bryant McKinnie –set to make $5.4 million in 2011, including roster bonus, then $4.5 million in 2012 and $4 million in 2014
Cedric Griffin – set to make $3.35 million in 2011, $4.1 million in 2012, $4.85 in 2013 and $5.45 million in 2014
Steve Hutchinson – set to make $6.68 million in 2011, $6.95 million in 2012

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/126149713.html

Caine
07-26-2011, 04:59 PM
Cut Madieu Williams, cut Bernard Berrian. Neither one are worth the money they're slated to make.

Can't really cut McKinnie 'till we find a replacement....

Caine

2beersTommy
07-26-2011, 05:11 PM
Cut Madieu Williams, cut Bernard Berrian. Neither one are worth the money they're slated to make.

Caine

agree, Id keep Kleinsasser as a Fb & dump that POS Tahi!

jmcdon00
07-26-2011, 05:16 PM
I like Kleinsasser alot, but not sure his productions warrants 3million.
I agree that McKinney probably stays, same with hutch.
Still when you add it all up that comes to 23.65million in savings. Now we're are 18million and change below the cap. Probably 8 million goes to rookies(do we know what ponder will make?). Leaves 10imllion for other FA, including Rice.

i_bleed_purple
07-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Still when you add it all up that comes to 23.65million in savings. Now we're are 18million and change below the cap. Probably 8 million goes to rookies(do we know what ponder will make?). Leaves 10imllion for other FA, including Rice.

Newton will make $22 million over 4 years, I can't imagine Ponder gets more than about $3-4 mil a season.

mountainviking
07-26-2011, 05:36 PM
I think we cut BB and Madieu, thats 9.3 mil right there. Then, once we extend Greenway and Peterson, their cap numbers should go down by like 40% or so as the bonus they get up front gets stretched over the length of contract. Hopefully? Another 10 mil worth of space?

Pretty sure Rice and Ray are gone...they're going to get big money somewhere and we've been loading up with project WRs and DEs.

IMO at their salaries, Big Mak, Cedric, and Kleiny are good deals. LTs aren't Cheap and Kleiny is the most reliable/best blocking TE in the game. The only question would be whether Griff can get and stay healthy. Same goes for Hutch really...thats a big salary, but he's good if he's healthy. Problem is he's been pretty dinged up the past two years trying to make up for our dropoff at Center.

We've got to get a vet QB, could use an upgrade replacement for Madieu at Safety, and for Pat at DT. I'm starting to get the feeling we're going to gamble that one of our WR projects works out opposite Harvin...?

jmcdon00
07-26-2011, 05:57 PM

Newton will make $22 million over 4 years, I can't imagine Ponder gets more than about $3-4 mil a season.
That's good to hear. So take that 8 million for rookies down to 5million, leaves 13million left over. Rice gets 7million of it and we still have 6 million to pick up a safety and a couple other low profile FA, or they can keep Griffin if they want(actually makes sense he's young and we suffered without him last year).

i_bleed_purple
07-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Vikings just cut Jimmy Kennedy, which frees up $2.5 million in cap space.

jmcdon00
07-26-2011, 06:03 PM
Nice, add that to the toy fund.

i_bleed_purple
07-26-2011, 06:04 PM

sorta leaves us thin at DT though.

lumberjackgreg
07-26-2011, 06:07 PM
Must be a play to re-sign Pat.

jmcdon00
07-26-2011, 06:10 PM

sorta leaves us thin at DT though.
Yeah, but we drafted Ballard. Maybe it's a sign they are planning to bring Pat Williams back.

i_bleed_purple
07-26-2011, 06:29 PM
Vikings are apparently not going to re-structure Madieu Williams' contract, although they claim he is unwilling to do so anyway.

Might be seeing the door however, fingers crossed.

gamecocksbaseball31
07-26-2011, 07:12 PM
With the Vikings reportedly $5.1 million over the salary cap, yet desperately in need of a re-make at several positions on the roster — offensive line, safety and perhaps wide receiver too — Minnesota may have to follow Baltimore’s lead and jettison a few veterans to make space. They could also give Adrian Peterson and Chad Greenway contract extensions. The two of them are reportedly set to count about $22 million combined against the cap. And that could be reduced to a more reasonable $14-16 million total — I’m thinking about $8-10 million for Peterson and $6 million per season for Greenway.

Madieu Williams – set to make $5.4 million each year from 2011-2013
Bernard Berrian – set to make $3.9 million in 2011, $6.9 million in 2012, and $7.9 million in 2013
Jim Kleinsasser – set to make $3 million in 2011
Bryant McKinnie –set to make $5.4 million in 2011, including roster bonus, then $4.5 million in 2012 and $4 million in 2014
Cedric Griffin – set to make $3.35 million in 2011, $4.1 million in 2012, $4.85 in 2013 and $5.45 million in 2014
Steve Hutchinson – set to make $6.68 million in 2011, $6.95 million in 2012

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/126149713.html
Cut Madieu --> Go after Weddle

Cut Berrian

Trade McKinnie, sign Doug Free or another LT (Used to be a big supporter but he's let me down as of late... lazy.)

If Ced is team oriented, he'd restructure because of his two injuries over the past two years. On the other hand, I don't blame him for not. Either way, we need him in our weak defensive backfield.

Hutch... Nothing will be done with him.

Pair those along with resigning AD and Greenway and we could make a play at a couple decent FA's.

Purple Floyd
07-26-2011, 07:34 PM

Caine

I agree with this. He has played FB in the past and IMHO was better at that position anyway.

I also feel they should cut Madieu.

Berrian is a tough one because he didn't perform that well the last 2 years but he did prior to that. We are a little thin at the position so it might be worth seeing if he will restructure. If not maybe we could cut him and use his salary towards Rice. That being said I don't think Rice wants to play here and I am not sure that money would be enough to sweeten the pot.

kevoncox
07-26-2011, 07:43 PM
I would like to spit on M. Williams pink slip before I hand it to him.

We need to grab the Giants ex-center badly. Cut Mac. I once supported him but even I can see he lacks passion for the game. We can have Robert Gaither for cheap.

We need to sign Lance Moore. He is a star in the making. Cut BB and Resign Rice.

jargomcfargo
07-26-2011, 07:44 PM

Caine

I agree with this. He has played FB in the past and IMHO was better at that position anyway.

Berrian is a tough one because he didn't perform that well the last 2 years but he did prior to that. We are a little thin at the position so it might be worth seeing if he will restructure. If not maybe we could cut him and use his salary towards Rice. That being said I don't think Rice wants to play here and I am not sure that money would be enough to sweeten the pot.

They drafted a tight end who can block and catch. Looks like Kliensasser would have to take a pay cut to stay. But I would love to see them dump Tahi and make Kliensasser FB.

Madieu should be easy to replace for the same or less money.

We can find someone that will be more productive than Berrian for less money and younger as well. Maybe that guy with 2 last names.

i_bleed_purple
07-26-2011, 07:45 PM

Caine

They drafted a tight end who can block and catch. Looks like Kliensasser would have to take a pay cut to stay. But I would love to see them dump Tahi and make Kliensasser FB.

Madieu should be easy to replace for the same or less money.

We can find someone that will be more productive than Berrian for less money and younger as well. Maybe that guy with 2 last names.+

Mike Simms-Walker?