PDA

View Full Version : Vikings growing concerned Rice will leave

singersp
07-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Vikings growing concerned Rice will leave

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/07/24/vikings-growing-concerned-rice-will-leave

Sidney Rice Might Not Be Long For The Vikings

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/7/24/2291133/sidney-rice-vikings-free-agent

singersp
07-24-2011, 11:54 PM
How can a team that signed McKinnie to a huge deal before he reached FA, not locked up Rice before he reached FA?

If he winds up elsewhere, we'll be hurting big time at WR.

IMO, they fucked up big time.

singersp
07-24-2011, 11:56 PM
How can a team that signed McKinnie to a huge deal before he reached FA, not have locked up Rice before he reached FA?

SharperImage
07-25-2011, 12:11 AM
The pain of being a vikings fan, they always right there, but never getting over the hump... thats worse than having a poor team 10 years straight..

Pay the man.

Freakout
07-25-2011, 12:12 AM
I would agree if not for the injuries. Just a shame his career has been riddled with them.

We would not be feeling the squeeze of letting him go had Berrian not become a waste of space and money.

singersp
07-26-2011, 12:49 PM
Losing Sidney Rice Might Not Be The Worst Thing Ever

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/7/24/2291674/losing-sidney-rice-might-not-be-the-worst-thing-ever

i_bleed_purple
07-26-2011, 12:54 PM
Rice, on the other hand, may have peaked already.
I'd say 90% of the receivers in the nfl would love to peak at the skill level that Rice showed in 09.

singersp
07-26-2011, 01:03 PM

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/7/24/2291674/losing-sidney-rice-might-not-be-the-worst-thing-ever

Hey Christopher!

What you failed to look at was the void that would be left if we lose Rice.

Would we fill that void with Berrian? He has only caught 12 TDs as a Viking & his stats of the past two seasons combined don't even add up to his 2008 stats.

And while you scoff at Rice's 18 TD's of his past four seasons here, other than Harvin & Berrian, how do our other remaining WR's talents/stats stack up to Rice's;

Arceneaux, Emmanuel
Brown, Freddie
Burton, Stephen
Camarillo, Greg
Iglesias, Juaquin
Johnson, Jaymar

Unless our WR corp is bolstered by adding a revitalized Moss to the roster, I don't see a successful WR tandem amongst any two of those names.

singersp
07-26-2011, 01:05 PM

Hey Christopher!

Would we fill that void with Berrian? He has only caught 12 TDs as a Viking & his stats of the past two seasons combined don't even add up to his 2008 stats.

And while you scoff at Rice's 18 TD's of his past four seasons here, other than Harvin & Berrian, how do our other remaining WR's talents/stats stack up to Rice's;

Arceneaux, Emmanuel
Brown, Freddie
Burton, Stephen
Camarillo, Greg
Iglesias, Juaquin
Johnson, Jaymar

Unless our WR corp is bolstered by adding a revitalized Moss to the roster, I don't see a successful WR tandem amongst any two of those names.

i_bleed_purple
07-26-2011, 01:11 PM

Hey Christopher!

Arceneaux, Emmanuel
Brown, Freddie
Burton, Stephen
Camarillo, Greg
Iglesias, Juaquin
Johnson, Jaymar

What, Greg Camarillo and Juaquin Iglesias don't make you moist in the loins?

singersp
07-26-2011, 01:32 PM

Hey Christopher!

Arceneaux, Emmanuel
Brown, Freddie
Burton, Stephen
Camarillo, Greg
Iglesias, Juaquin
Johnson, Jaymar

What, Greg Camarillo and Juaquin Iglesias don't make you moist in the loins?

Greg made my loins sweat once in his first game appearance, but it was short lived.

MindCrimes67
07-26-2011, 01:39 PM
All things considered. We have some serious holes to fill on roster. I say let Rice walk, sign Randy for a heck of alot cheaper. Rice had 1 good year, otherwise has really done nothing. Our new offense is supposed to run alot of 2 TE formations, ran through AD, with more play action then past years. Moss imo would be better suited for that role. Just a thought....

BloodyHorns82
07-26-2011, 02:54 PM
I hope we find a way to resign Rice but given the fact we're already 5 million over the cap and haven't signed a single FA or draft pick, it's not going to be an easy task.

i_bleed_purple
07-26-2011, 02:55 PM
I hope we find a way to resign Rice but given the fact we're already 5 million over the cap and haven't signed a single FA or draft pick, it's not going to be an easy task.

Wonder what Marty thinks about not going out and signing all our FA's already by now. We would have been SCREWED if we did that.

lumberjackgreg
07-26-2011, 03:14 PM
I think the best thing Rice has going for him is his agent. They've effectively created a market that says he's the next superstar wide receiver after one magical year with a HOF QB at the helm.

Now there's injury concerns, and one season of lightning, and some how he's the MVP for FA WR's? I think with restructuring Greenway, new contract for AP, we should be able to retain Rice, even if he's 'testing the market'.

jmcdon00
07-26-2011, 03:17 PM

Wonder what Marty thinks about not going out and signing all our FA's already by now. We would have been SCREWED if we did that.
I don't think so. Greenway and Peterson will have lower cap numbers when resigned. I really believe when all is said and done there will be room to sign Rice if they want. Edwards is likely gone.

lumberjackgreg
07-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Edwards is gone. We paid Robison. He'll be the guy. I think Edwards reaped the benefits of Jared Allen. Robison is big, strong and fast. He'll step up. I think he will have at least 5 sacks this season, if not top Edward's 8 from last year.

ejmat
07-26-2011, 03:24 PM
I agree that Rice leaving could hurt the Vikings. In fact no doubt it will. OTOH, he is going to be expensive and the Vikings do not currently have the cap to re-sign him. I know they have a lot of work to do over the next few days to iron things out.

There are other WRs in the free agent market that would cost less and may be as effective. Malcomb Floyd has good hands and is a threat in the endzone for one.

Regardless the Vikings need someone that can stretch the field to allor AP and Percy to do their damage. The 2 TE set will definitely help if Ponder will be the man. Regardless they need a deep threat to keep defenses honest.

I have mixed thoughts towards Rice. Losing him may suck but it may also be a blessing. Let's face it. As much as I like Rice and what he did in 2009 he really hasn't done much since. He's made some plays. Don't get me wrong. However, he's also had his share of injuries.

Caine
07-26-2011, 03:52 PM
Losing Rice will hurt us....as long as we do NOTHING to address the loss.

Thing is, and I've said this for awhile now, I'm not convinced that the loss is that hard to replace.

Rice had ONE great season. ONE. He didn't replicate, and aside from a handful of great catches, he didn't even LOOK LIKE he could have replicated. His numbers simply weren't there in his return.

Can we replace him with someone on the roster right now? No.

But I don't think we can afford to spend what he wants to keep him...I think we'd be over paying...just like with Edwards.

Caine

AngloVike
07-26-2011, 07:13 PM
made me chuckle to see on KFFL that Seattle is interested in Rice... the same team that TJ is also linked with. There's a combo to see, so will the WR make the QB or will the QB make the WR? :P

Purple Floyd
07-26-2011, 07:18 PM
made me chuckle to see on KFFL that Seattle is interested in Rice... the same team that TJ is also linked with. There's a combo to see, so will the WR make the QB or will the QB make the WR? :P

They will both fail without Childress coaching them.

jmcdon00
07-26-2011, 07:59 PM

They will both fail without Childress coaching them.
They may be alright. Remember Bevell worked under Childress for 5 years!

midgensa
07-26-2011, 08:13 PM

Thing is, and I've said this for awhile now, I'm not convinced that the loss is that hard to replace.

Rice had ONE great season. ONE. He didn't replicate, and aside from a handful of great catches, he didn't even LOOK LIKE he could have replicated. His numbers simply weren't there in his return.

But I don't think we can afford to spend what he wants to keep him...I think we'd be over paying...just like with Edwards.

Caine
I agree. I really like Rice. I think his size and hands are exceptional and I think he could be great. But he has less than 900 yards combined in the three seasons outside of his Pro Bowl year.

He has shown a knack to constantly get hurt. And, last season, when the world was waiting for him to come back and set the NFL on fire, he simply did not produce at a high level.

I want him back, but I simply do not want to way overpay for him. I would be almost just as happy for a Braylon Edwards or Lance Moore for considerably less money.

singersp
07-27-2011, 01:45 AM
Edwards is gone. We paid Robison. He'll be the guy. I think Edwards reaped the benefits of Jared Allen. Robison is big, strong and fast. He'll step up. I think he will have at least 5 sacks this season, if not top Edward's 8 from last year.

If you believe Edwards reaped the benefits of having JA on the opposite end, then you should also believe that Robison did & will as well.

Purple Floyd
07-27-2011, 02:27 AM

If you believe Edwards reaped the benefits of having JA on the opposite end, then you should also believe that Robison did & will as well.

I agree with that. Robison will benefit from having JA on the opposite corner and just like Edwards, if he had decided to go test the waters he would not be as successful unless he went to a team with an equally talented RDE.

Marrdro
07-27-2011, 11:03 AM
How can a team that signed McKinnie to a huge deal before he reached FA, not have locked up Rice before he reached FA?

There is a certain yutz on here who has been chanting that since the start of last season. Truth is, he has been almost screaming it since the season ended.

Guess what, he is now concerned about the guys that should be extended (AD) now.

What a yutz huh. But hey, we have Bryzcheapski. Isn't he like some sort of CAP guru who has us over the CAP instead of looking good right now?

Marrdro
07-27-2011, 11:06 AM

Hey Christopher!

Arceneaux, Emmanuel
Brown, Freddie
Burton, Stephen
Camarillo, Greg
Iglesias, Juaquin
Johnson, Jaymar

I know most don't understand, but even though Rice and Berrian have WR after their names, they play two different positions on the field.

JJ can replace BB. Arcenaeaux could replace Sid, Cam is more of a PH kindof guy.

In short, if we loose Rice, we don't have much on the roster other than his backup there to take his place.

(on a side note, I love that ARceneaux kid) Can't wait to see him on the field.

Marrdro
07-27-2011, 11:14 AM

Caine
I agree. I really like Rice. I think his size and hands are exceptional and I think he could be great. But he has less than 900 yards combined in the three seasons outside of his Pro Bowl year.

He has shown a knack to constantly get hurt. And, last season, when the world was waiting for him to come back and set the NFL on fire, he simply did not produce at a high level.

I want him back, but I simply do not want to way overpay for him. I would be almost just as happy for a Braylon Edwards or Lance Moore for considerably less money.
Lance Moore? 5'10ish. 160 or so? Are we replacing Harvin or something?

I'll give you Braylon. 6'3" 220 or so. A couple of others (minus Plax and Jackson) that I would like if we couldn't get Rice back.....(in priority order)

Floyd (Chargers)RFA
Nanee (Chargers) RFA
Mike Williams (Seachickens)RFA
Sims Walker (Jags)RFA

Considering the RFA and their production, I hope they get a deal done with Rice.

Marrdro
07-27-2011, 11:18 AM

No one believes that Rob is anything other than a "Situational" pass rusher on here right?

He just can't stand up to the riggors that a LDE stands up to in our base defense.

Is he great coming in after the LDE takes all the pounding against the run and get after the QB? Yes, not bad but he isn't going to be the starter at LDE.

That will fall to Griff or Ballard. One of those two will eventually be our LDE unless someone else is brought in.

Marrdro
07-27-2011, 11:21 AM
All things considered. We have some serious holes to fill on roster. I say let Rice walk, sign Randy for a heck of alot cheaper. Rice had 1 good year, otherwise has really done nothing. Our new offense is supposed to run alot of 2 TE formations, ran through AD, with more play action then past years. Moss imo would be better suited for that role. Just a thought....
Randy has the size, but he doesn't have the "Want To" when it comes to playing the position.

Maybe he would be an option to replace Berrian, however, you will only be back in the same position you were in last year when we had Moss and no Rice to take the pressure off the outside guy.

Again, I know its hard to comprehend, but we are talking two different positions here. One cannot replace/play for the other. It just doesn't work that way. The last two years have been evidence of that.

Marrdro
07-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Can I hear a resounding cheer for Byzcheapski...........:evil:

Not only are we in cap hell, he did it without resigning anyone over the last 2 years.

LOL, what a yutz. He's gonna stay that way until I see him actually fix this mess.

Marrdro
07-27-2011, 11:25 AM

LOL, you still don't get it.

Of course we wouldn't be in this mess. Other teams did it. Hell, teams that didn't do it, atleast are under the fricken CAP and do stuff in FA.

Again, can I get another resounding cheer for ole Bryz. He basically hasn't done anything for 2 years and we are handicapped going into FA, have 10 players that need deals done or need to have a replacement on the field and we don't have any money to do it with.

WHOOT WHOOT WHOOT WHOOT.

Marrdro
07-27-2011, 11:29 AM
I agree that Rice leaving could hurt the Vikings. In fact no doubt it will. OTOH, he is going to be expensive and the Vikings do not currently have the cap to re-sign him. I know they have a lot of work to do over the next few days to iron things out.

There are other WRs in the free agent market that would cost less and may be as effective. Malcomb Floyd has good hands and is a threat in the endzone for one.

Regardless the Vikings need someone that can stretch the field to allor AP and Percy to do their damage. The 2 TE set will definitely help if Ponder will be the man. Regardless they need a deep threat to keep defenses honest.

I have mixed thoughts towards Rice. Losing him may suck but it may also be a blessing. Let's face it. As much as I like Rice and what he did in 2009 he really hasn't done much since. He's made some plays. Don't get me wrong. However, he's also had his share of injuries.
Correct me if I'm wrong, Floyd is a RFA. Sure he will be a BIT cheaper than Rice, but he will cost us in other ways as well.

On another note, Rice isn't a deep threat. He is a middle of the field (3, 4, 5, 6, 7 route) possesion reciever who doesn't beat players with his speed but rather uses his strenght/height to win the ball, especially in the end zone.

Marrdro
07-27-2011, 11:32 AM

Caine
Face it, the only knock on Rice is his injuries. And if you take last years away (he could have played if he wanted to) you can only go back to his first two years.

As far as his production, most WR's come into their own in their 3rd year. That is what he is making his money off of right now, mostly cause you just don't have the ball possesion skills/body control and then loose it.

The production he put up in 2009 will come again, that is why he will get paid this year. Question is, how much and by whom.

singersp
07-27-2011, 11:39 AM
Seahawks battling Vikings for Sidney Rice

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/seahawks-battling-vikings-for-sidney-rice/

Marrdro
07-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Seahawks battling Vikings for Sidney Rice

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/07/26/seahawks-battling-vikings-for-sidney-rice/
Thanks for the read my friend. Glad to see the ole Newshound back in business.

On a side note, history has me concerned. Since the Hutch thing we have lost out to them on 2 reciever deals.

They have the second most in CAP (and have to spend it).

And their owner has a hardon for us since the Hutch thing.

Whoever gets Rice is gonna get one hell of a reciever, but he is going to go damn high. Probably to high.

ejmat
07-27-2011, 03:08 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, Floyd is a RFA. Sure he will be a BIT cheaper than Rice, but he will cost us in other ways as well.

On another note, Rice isn't a deep threat. He is a middle of the field (3, 4, 5, 6, 7 route) possesion reciever who doesn't beat players with his speed but rather uses his strenght/height to win the ball, especially in the end zone.

Not positive about Floyd so good point. As to Rice, I don't think I was saying he could stretch the field. He has been known to go deep but by no means is he a speedster. However, Aromashando is pretty quick and can supply that field stretching.

i_bleed_purple
07-27-2011, 03:13 PM

Not positive about Floyd so good point. As to Rice, I don't think I was saying he could stretch the field. He has been known to go deep but by no means is he a speedster. However, Aromashando is pretty quick and can supply that field stretching.

Rice is a deep threat. He's not a burner, but hit him 60 yards downfield, and more often than not he'll come down with it.
In fact, it seems like the best way to use him. Rice can beat most defenders in the league one on one. If you throw it short or wide, he has time to adjust, get under it and make the grab. That's what he did so well in 09.

When you throw to Harvin or Berrian deep, you wanna hit them in stride for the best chance. Rice isn't that fast, so defenders can hang with him. underthrowing him is actually the better move.

Caine
07-27-2011, 03:17 PM

Caine
Face it, the only knock on Rice is his injuries. And if you take last years away (he could have played if he wanted to) you can only go back to his first two years.

As far as his production, most WR's come into their own in their 3rd year. That is what he is making his money off of right now, mostly cause you just don't have the ball possesion skills/body control and then loose it.

The production he put up in 2009 will come again, that is why he will get paid this year. Question is, how much and by whom.

Injuries in the only knock we NEED. That's sort of HUGE. Having big $ guys on the bench doesn't lead to Superbowls very often.

The other knock is also valid in that his '10 stats weren't overly impressive. He didn't come back and tear it up...he simply played.

Look, I like Sidney. I really do. I'm just afraid of over paying for him - like we did with Berrian - and passing on other WR opportunities as a result.

Caine

Caine
07-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Note: According to NFL.com we just agreed to a one-year contract with former Bears wide receiver Devin Aromashodu. Might change the Rice dynamic after all...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82102ffd/article/source-vikings-will-sign-wr-aromashodu-to-oneyear-deal

Caine

skum
07-27-2011, 03:22 PM
Note: According to NFL.com we just agreed to a one-year contract with former Bears wide receiver Devin Aromashodu. Might change the Rice dynamic after all...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82102ffd/article/source-vikings-will-sign-wr-aromashodu-to-oneyear-deal

Caine

Shouldnt change the situation at all.. Rice is a #1 WR and Aromashodu will be fighting for a roster spot.

However it seems right now that Rice will move to the Seahawks.. duh..

i_bleed_purple
07-27-2011, 03:27 PM

Caine

Shouldnt change the situation at all.. Rice is a #1 WR and Aromashodu will be fighting for a roster spot.

However it seems right now that Rice will move to the Seahawks.. duh..

Mash will make the team. He's gotta beat out Cammarillo or Lewis for the #4 spot. I'm confident he can.

I wonder if the guy can return punts? We need a guy who can get more than 3 yards off a return.

tastywaves
07-27-2011, 04:40 PM

Rice is a deep threat. He's not a burner, but hit him 60 yards downfield, and more often than not he'll come down with it.
In fact, it seems like the best way to use him. Rice can beat most defenders in the league one on one. If you throw it short or wide, he has time to adjust, get under it and make the grab. That's what he did so well in 09.

When you throw to Harvin or Berrian deep, you wanna hit them in stride for the best chance. Rice isn't that fast, so defenders can hang with him. underthrowing him is actually the better move.

I'm with IBP on this one. You don't have to be a speedster to be effective as a deep threat. Rice has proven quite capable of going down the field and coming down with the ball. Big body, good positioning and good hands is why Favre just chucked it to the guy. For some reason other Viking QB's couldn't seem to figure this out.

That is, Rice demands double coverage deep just like a speedster draws help from the safety. Both cases give the deep threat impact you are looking for.

Marrdro
07-27-2011, 05:49 PM

So a cat who runs 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 routes and wins jump balls is considered a deep threat rather than a possesion guy?

The guy who runs 8 and 9 routes is considered the deep guy. Not the big slow guy who wins jump balls even after he's chugged down the field on a 7 route while the QB scrambled around behind the OL for an eternity. LOL

Deep threat....:lol:

Marrdro
07-27-2011, 05:52 PM

He has gone deep, but it takes an eternity.

When I say deep threat, as with most of the leauge, they are talking about a guy who will (running a 7, 8 and 9 route) beat the CB in the 20 yard range (based on speed alone) that will require help over the top from a S.

Rice is not that guy. He is a big bodied possesion guy that will out muscle/maneuver the defender for the ball anyplace on the field, especially in the short to intermediate routes, and is most effective in areas that are short ala the "Red Zone (20 yards and in) because of his ability to win those matchups.

i_bleed_purple
07-27-2011, 05:53 PM

So a cat who runs 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7 routes and wins jump balls is considered a deep threat rather than a possesion guy?

The guy who runs 8 and 9 routes is considered the deep guy. Not the big slow guy who wins jump balls even after he's chugged down the field on a 7 route while the QB scrambled around behind the OL for an eternity. LOL

Deep threat....:lol:

It depends how you define deep guy.

I define it as a guy who will come down with deep balls, and is a threat deep. Rice is that.

Guy who runs 8 and 9 is considered a speedster. Guy who runs deep posts, corners and seams, and the QB feels confident going deep right away with, is a deep threat in my book.

Rice, is a guy who can make all the catches. He's a threat in the short game, intermediate game and deep. I personally think he's more effective in the medium to deep routes than the short timing routes. (redzone is different)

Marrdro
07-27-2011, 05:54 PM

Caine

Injuries in the only knock we NEED. That's sort of HUGE. Having big $ guys on the bench doesn't lead to Superbowls very often.

The other knock is also valid in that his '10 stats weren't overly impressive. He didn't come back and tear it up...he simply played.

Look, I like Sidney. I really do. I'm just afraid of over paying for him - like we did with Berrian - and passing on other WR opportunities as a result.

Caine
I agree with you on the over paying thing, however, thats what you get when you let good players hit FA.

And I still say he didn't do much in 10 cause his agent told him to protect himself. The bills game was just a bit of a tease to let everyone know he still could go up and get anything close.

That my friend is what makes him so desirable.

Marrdro
07-27-2011, 05:56 PM

Caine
Possibly, I think I like Arcenaux more than I do Aromashodu. Both have equally as hard of a name to try to spell. :lol:

midgensa
07-27-2011, 06:11 PM

Floyd is unrestricted.

As a matter of face ... I believe ALL free agents were ruled UFAs with the new agreement.

Marrdro
07-27-2011, 06:13 PM

Floyd is unrestricted.

As a matter of face ... I believe ALL free agents were ruled UFAs with the new agreement.
Your probably correct. I am going off info prior to the 4 year clause.

i_bleed_purple
07-27-2011, 06:18 PM

Floyd is unrestricted.

not quite. THey went back to old RFA rules. So anyone with 4 years of experience in unrestricted. All players with less are RFAs. so for us, Abdullah would still be an RFA (who his agent said will 100% sign his tender Friday)

jargomcfargo
07-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Rice has other suitors.

Sam Bradford has reportedly been pushing for big target down the field, and Rice makes a lot more sense than Plaxico Burress. Per Clayton, Rice is becoming the big story of the day, and there may even be another team or two involved. Earlier reports suggested the Seahawks will set the value for Rice, pending a physical.
Source: Chris Wesseling

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/43915675/sports/player_news

ejmat
07-28-2011, 06:38 PM
So Rice left for the Asshawks. I guess let them overpay him instead of us. So now the Asshawks took TJack and Rice plus I've heard rumors of them being interested in Ray Edwards.

The good thing is because of them overpaying two and now possibly a third Viking the Asshawks are helping us get decent compensatory picks for next year.

Marrdro
07-28-2011, 06:50 PM
So Rice left for the Asshawks. I guess let them overpay him instead of us. So now the Asshawks took TJack and Rice plus I've heard rumors of them being interested in Ray Edwards.

The good thing is because of them overpaying two and now possibly a third Viking the Asshawks are helping us get decent compensatory picks for next year.
When you are sitting with the 2nd most cap space and have to spend almost all of it, over spending isn't an issue.

Gallery and Rice are clear indicators they are going to get who they are targeting.

jargomcfargo
07-28-2011, 07:11 PM
July, 27, 2011
By Kevin Seifert
I wish I could put my finger on it. For more than a year, something has been off between the Minnesota Vikings and Sidney Rice.

A frost began developing after the 2009 NFC Championship Game, during which Rice suffered a hip injury that eventually required major surgery. It never thawed, and for that reason it came as no surprise Wednesday night when Rice agreed to terms on a free agent contract with the Seattle Seahawks. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported the deal includes $18.5 million in guarantees.
Bruce Kluckhohn/US PresswireIt looks like Sidney Rice was eager to leave the Minnesota Vikings.Like all other contracts, the agreement is pending a physical. Rice's will be a little more important than most; microfracture surgery on a hip is no small procedure. I know for a fact the Vikings were concerned about the long-term implications, and I can make an educated guess that Rice resented that concern, even after the injury caused him to miss more than half of the 2010 season. That injury played a big role in the Vikings deciding against a contract before the 2010 season. No player likes to hear such news.

At some point, I also think Rice also grew weary of thinly veiled implications last season from former coach Brad Childress, who questioned the timing of Rice's decision to have surgery and later suggested Rice wasn't as eager to return from rehabilitation as he should have. Rice eventually wrote a blog post for his personal website with this headline: "A Bunch of Bull."

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/28946/face-it-sidney-rice-wanted-out

Caine
07-28-2011, 07:14 PM
July, 27, 2011
By Kevin Seifert
I wish I could put my finger on it. For more than a year, something has been off between the Minnesota Vikings and Sidney Rice.

A frost began developing after the 2009 NFC Championship Game, during which Rice suffered a hip injury that eventually required major surgery. It never thawed, and for that reason it came as no surprise Wednesday night when Rice agreed to terms on a free agent contract with the Seattle Seahawks. ESPN's Adam Schefter reported the deal includes $18.5 million in guarantees.
Bruce Kluckhohn/US PresswireIt looks like Sidney Rice was eager to leave the Minnesota Vikings.Like all other contracts, the agreement is pending a physical. Rice's will be a little more important than most; microfracture surgery on a hip is no small procedure. I know for a fact the Vikings were concerned about the long-term implications, and I can make an educated guess that Rice resented that concern, even after the injury caused him to miss more than half of the 2010 season. That injury played a big role in the Vikings deciding against a contract before the 2010 season. No player likes to hear such news.

At some point, I also think Rice also grew weary of thinly veiled implications last season from former coach Brad Childress, who questioned the timing of Rice's decision to have surgery and later suggested Rice wasn't as eager to return from rehabilitation as he should have. Rice eventually wrote a blog post for his personal website with this headline: "A Bunch of Bull."

So, essentially, he's a whiney-assed wuss.

I doubt we'll miss him. He'll wind up like Burleson...way over compensated by the Seahawks.

Caine

midgensa
07-28-2011, 07:18 PM
July, 27, 2011
By Kevin Seifert

I doubt we'll miss him. He'll wind up like Burleson...way over compensated by the Seahawks.

Caine
He definitely came off as a whiner and a "me-first" type last season. I still wanted him back. But seriously, when he came back, he clearly did not care and did not play very hard. He missed a few games late just because ... even though he claimed injury ... again.

I do not get it. He could have been a star and universally loved here after his breakout year. Instead he dicked around with an injury. Came back. Whined about how he was "treated" and left town.

I don't know if he will ever live up to what he could have been, and now that he is gone, I hope he doesn't.

jargomcfargo
07-28-2011, 07:26 PM
July, 27, 2011
By Kevin Seifert

Caine
He definitely came off as a whiner and a "me-first" type last season. I still wanted him back. But seriously, when he came back, he clearly did not care and did not play very hard. He missed a few games late just because ... even though he claimed injury ... again.

I do not get it. He could have been a star and universally loved here after his breakout year. Instead he dicked around with an injury. Came back. Whined about how he was "treated" and left town.

I don't know if he will ever live up to what he could have been, and now that he is gone, I hope he doesn't.

He's entitled to go for the money and I don't begrudge him that.
But the way he played the Vikings to get his money has made him one of my least favorite NFL players.
I have his jersey and I'm giving it to a homeless person.

Caine
07-28-2011, 07:34 PM
July, 27, 2011
By Kevin Seifert

Caine

But the way he played the Vikings to get his money has made him one of my least favorite NFL players.

Why hate on the homeless? What did they ever do to you?

B)

Caine

ejmat
07-28-2011, 10:43 PM
July, 27, 2011
By Kevin Seifert

Caine

Why hate on the homeless? What did they ever do to you?

B)

Caine

I don't care that he left for the money. In fact, I'm happy about it. That should give us a very good compensatory pick next year. It's better the Asshawks overpay him than us. We'll see how he likes TJack throwing to him over McNabb then eventually Ponder. Stupid move for his career. Smart move for his future (moneywise). Hopefully we just get one of the 3 WRs we are looking at and I will be just fine with that.