PDA

View Full Version : Mayock: Ponder Among Most-Ready Rookies

Marrdro
07-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Mayock: Ponder Among Most-Ready Rookies (http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Mayock-Ponder-Among-Most-Ready-Rookies/040e4da6-ccf5-4b98-b2c6-184efdabe3de)

Damn I can't wait to see this kid play.

12purplepride28
07-09-2011, 12:59 AM
I can't wait to see ANYONE play.

Purple Floyd
07-09-2011, 02:08 AM
I believe Gino Torretta at one point was the most ready NFL rookie.

singersp
07-17-2011, 02:04 PM

Agreed

Also, Mayock isn't saying that Ponder is the most ready because of what Christian Ponder can do, but rather because of what Adrian Peterson can do.

Had we drafted Mallet, Stanzi or Gabbert, Maylock would have listed them among the most ready rookies because of our strong run game with Adrian Peterson.

Caine
07-17-2011, 02:47 PM

Agreed

Also, Mayock isn't saying that Ponder is the most ready because of what Christian Ponder can do, but rather because of what Adrian Peterson can do.

Had we drafted Mallet, Stanzi or Gabbert, Maylock would have listed them among the most ready rookies because of our strong run game with Adrian Peterson.

..and yet Jackson still isn't NFL ready....even with that running game.

:P

Caine

oppoldassoc
07-23-2011, 11:01 PM
Ponder seems like a good fit - he is extremely accurate with the dink and dunk style that Musgrave likes to run. I hope he can step up and prove the 'expert' analysts wrong. Seems like a good kid, hard worker. We shall see...

MaxVike
07-23-2011, 11:50 PM
I think at some point in the next couple of years, we will be quite happy with Ponder. I have a lot more confidence in him than other recently drafted QBs.

singersp
07-25-2011, 12:46 AM
I think at some point in the next couple of years, we will be quite happy with Ponder. I have a lot more confidence in him than other recently drafted QBs.

Dinking & dunking I don't have a problem with as long as the QB can be a deep threat too. Numerous people have said that Ponder has problems with the deep ball like "floating it", which worries me the most.

If you don't have a deep threat, defenses will stack the box which not only hinders your run game, but hinders the dink & dunk game as well. We saw a lot of the latter last year.

AngloVike
07-25-2011, 09:15 PM

Dinking & dunking I don't have a problem with as long as the QB can be a deep threat too. Numerous people have said that Ponder has problems with the deep ball like "floating it", which worries me the most.

If you don't have a deep threat, defenses will stack the box which not only hinders your run game, but hinders the dink & dunk game as well. We saw a lot of the latter last year.

Thankfully now that football is back and TC as well then we can see a little more of what Ponder can or can't do.. rather than relying on the waterboys second cousin's girlfriend who has seen the janitors facebook entry..

MaxVike
07-25-2011, 10:33 PM

I hear ya. We shall see. I just have a feeling he is going to be a good one.

Two very good Tight Ends (assuming Rudolph is a good one) and Harvin will cause significant challenges in the middle of the field for defenses though... And, I think Ponder can be very effective there. Gotta see him throw the deep ball; hopefully he does not "float it," that will be a problem.

Bottom line Singer, we are talking football again!

kevoncox
07-26-2011, 12:04 AM
Much of Ponder's "lack of arm strenght" was driven by his injuries. He just did not have it his senior year. However, i will take a Qb that completed 68% of his passes any day.

I am more worried about our WRS. We simply cannot move harvin to the outside. He failed in that role last season and is not a polished enough a route runner to be out there. He is a terrific weapon in the slot and his outside jab step makes me want to slap my mother because I wasn't born with it. However, He did not truly shine until last season when Moss joined the team and he was moved back to the slot. This is an issue because with Shank and Rudolph possibly running double TE, the only time Harvin will be in the slot is in an End-over formation ( where the TE cannot run a route) or a TE split wide formation. We need to resign Rice and another WR to compete. ( yes, I have given up up BB). I fear he has lost a step due to all of those Hammy pulls. As a guy that have pulled many a Hammy.... you fear reaching for the top gear because you never forget how you hurt your hamstrings. To this day, I don't reach for my top gear on the field.

MaxVike
07-26-2011, 12:24 AM
Much of Ponder's "lack of arm strenght" was driven by his injuries. He just did not have it his senior year. However, i will take a Qb that completed 68% of his passes any day.

I am more worried about our WRS. We simply cannot move harvin to the outside. He failed in that role last season and is not a polished enough a route runner to be out there. He is a terrific weapon in the slot and his outside jab step makes me want to slap my mother because I wasn't born with it. However, He did not truly shine until last season when Moss joined the team and he was moved back to the slot. This is an issue because with Shank and Rudolph possibly running double TE, the only time Harvin will be in the slot is in an End-over formation ( where the TE cannot run a route) or a TE split wide formation. We need to resign Rice and another WR to compete. ( yes, I have given up up BB). I fear he has lost a step due to all of those Hammy pulls. As a guy that have pulled many a Hammy.... you fear reaching for the top gear because you never forget how you hurt your hamstrings. To this day, I don't reach for my top gear on the field.

Good post KC... I share your concern, and, points of view re: Harvin, Berrian, Rice. And, the hamstring - people who have not pulled it badly simply do not understand.

kevoncox
07-26-2011, 12:39 AM
I think I pulled both of mine at the same time.Thought I didn't need to stretch and started running routes against my former teammate who was starting for Buffalo at the time. Needless to say, he laughed and heckled me for a good 6 months before I could get him back.

It's very much mental. You simply do not trust your body anymore. I know I still feel like i can pull it it anytime. Call it fear but you limit yourself on the field with choppier steps, slower moves etc. That "fear" is surreal and I simply do not know how to reach for that gear anymore.

Purple Floyd
07-26-2011, 02:06 AM

Agreed

..and yet Jackson still isn't NFL ready....even with that running game.

:P

Caine

Neither is Torretta.:P

i_bleed_purple
07-26-2011, 04:53 AM
I think I pulled both of mine at the same time.Thought I didn't need to stretch and started running routes against my former teammate who was starting for Buffalo at the time. Needless to say, he laughed and heckled me for a good 6 months before I could get him back.

It's very much mental. You simply do not trust your body anymore. I know I still feel like i can pull it it anytime. Call it fear but you limit yourself on the field with choppier steps, slower moves etc. That "fear" is surreal and I simply do not know how to reach for that gear anymore.

Know sort of what you mean. I've pulled my hammy bad, but that was never an issue for me. had to take it easy for about a month, but my problem was the shoulder. dislocated it three times, and now I just don't trust it going up for a pass or trying to knock down a ball. I'll stretch out, but I just can't get myself to fully extend with that arm anymore, since I know it's only a matter of time until it happens again.

singersp
07-26-2011, 01:16 PM

Thankfully now that football is back and TC as well then we can see a little more of what Ponder can or can't do. rather than relying on the waterboys second cousin's girlfriend who has seen the janitors facebook entry..

I wish it were like that. If that's who I was hearing it from, I wouldn't have thought there was any truth to it. Unfortunately there were several sports critics prior to & throughout the draft that mentioned it.

singersp
07-26-2011, 01:40 PM

Harvin did not shine until last year after Moss joined? WTF are you talking about?

He was shining in 2009, long before Moss arrived & had 6 TD's in 2009 compared to 5 in 2010 & did it in 5 less starts.

He was shinning like a bright new penny in 2009, thus why he was named "OFFENSIVE ROOKIE OF THE YEAR".

Freakout
07-26-2011, 02:54 PM
Pretty sure kevin meant last season when we started the year with Harvin lining up on the outside.