PDA

View Full Version : Greenway glad for franchise tag amid lockout

Marrdro
06-28-2011, 08:29 PM
Vikings' Greenway glad for franchise tag amid lockout
(http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_18368528?source=rss)
I bet he is.

I for one, thinks is absolutely shamefull that this cat wasn't signed to a long term deal as soon as the season was over.

jargomcfargo
06-28-2011, 08:39 PM
I bet he is.

I for one, thinks is absolutely shamefull that this cat wasn't signed to a long term deal as soon as the season was over.

He, Rice, and maybe Edwards should have been extended last season. I know the Vikings had offers to Rice and Edwards but I think they were having visions of huge paydays.
Greenway seems to want to stay with the team. Not sure why they didn't sign him and franchise Rice.

AngloVike
06-28-2011, 08:54 PM
I bet he is.

He, Rice, and maybe Edwards should have been extended last season. I know the Vikings had offers to Rice and Edwards but I think they were having visions of huge paydays.
Greenway seems to want to stay with the team. Not sure why they didn't sign him and franchise Rice.

maybe because Greenway makes it clear that he wants to play for the team for the right reasons and not just because they pay the most

"I love to play the game, and I'm in a good position because they've taken care of me and never lied to me," Greenway said, "so I shouldn't play hardball with them. If someone's been good to me, I should be good to them back."
A touch of midwestern values perhaps?

Macken
06-28-2011, 08:57 PM
i think that greenway is playing for the right reasons as well, the kids got heart and never been about the money.

jmcdon00
06-28-2011, 09:27 PM
i think that greenway is playing for the right reasons as well, the kids got heart and never been about the money.
It's easy to not be about the money when you are being paid what your worth. If they had given him the first round tender and a million dollars instead of the 10million that comes with a franchise tag his attitude might be different.

marshallvike
06-28-2011, 09:55 PM
I bet he is.

maybe because Greenway makes it clear that he wants to play for the team for the right reasons and not just because they pay the most

"I love to play the game, and I'm in a good position because they've taken care of me and never lied to me," Greenway said, "so I shouldn't play hardball with them. If someone's been good to me, I should be good to them back."
A touch of midwestern values perhaps?

I lov Sid, but I sure wish he had this same attitude

SpaceMTN69
06-29-2011, 05:54 AM
As soon as this lockout ends I wouldnt be shocked if a Greenway deal is finalized within a week. This dude is an absolute stud and by far and away better than any other LB on this roster. I love me some EJ though dont get me wrong.

Also, I believe you can all but disqualify Leber as a Viking next season. Unless of course he takes a below market value deal. The money he may be asking for will be much better served to try and lure maybe another offensive lineman or DB to join this team.

Caine
06-29-2011, 12:57 PM
It's easy to not be about the money when you are being paid what your worth. If they had given him the first round tender and a million dollars instead of the 10million that comes with a franchise tag his attitude might be different.

If I'm not mistaken, Ray's offer will be worth @ 2.8 million...it has to be at least 110% of his previous salary (2.52 million).

While this is indeed less than Greenway is getting, I doubt many would say that Edwards is worth more than Greenway.

The only real gripe Ray has is that he's currently scheduled to make less than Robison.

Still, the gap between what Ray wants and what Ray is worth, I suspect, will be significant, and I don't see him back next season.

On the flip side, I don't see the Vikings NOT securing the services of Greenway for the long term. Just because they didn't do it to Marrdro's satisfaction doesn't mean they won't.

Caine

Marrdro
06-29-2011, 01:08 PM

If I'm not mistaken, Ray's offer will be worth @ 2.8 million...it has to be at least 110% of his previous salary (2.52 million).

While this is indeed less than Greenway is getting, I doubt many would say that Edwards is worth more than Greenway.

The only real gripe Ray has is that he's currently scheduled to make less than Robison.

Still, the gap between what Ray wants and what Ray is worth, I suspect, will be significant, and I don't see him back next season.

On the flip side, I don't see the Vikings NOT securing the services of Greenway for the long term. Just because they didn't do it to Marrdro's satisfaction doesn't mean they won't.

Caine
Marrdro's satisfaction...LOL. Didn't read the article did you. Chad, himself, says there were talks but noting got done, but he expects some to get done.

Quick question my friend, do you think that the way they are pitty pattering around with respect to taking care of the talent won't have some sort of impact on team moral?

I do. Probably cause I accept that teams are dealing with athletes that don't think along the same lanes that rationale men do. Most of them aren't happy to settle for 110% of their previous salary.