PDA

View Full Version : Ponder hosts workout; gives playbook to vets

i_bleed_purple
06-01-2011, 02:05 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82018fd0/article/rookie-qb-ponder-vikings-begin-threeday-workouts-at-img?module=HP_headlines

BRADENTON, Fla. -- Smack in the middle of baseball spring-training country, IMG headquarters has become the unofficial headquarters of the Minnesota Vikings' offseason workouts.

With music blaring, the energy is crackling here, where a half dozen Vikings players have come -- with more on the way -- to take advantage of IMG's state-of-the-art training facilities. Rookie QB Christian Ponder has invited his new teammates to work on the Vikings' playbook....

i_bleed_purple
06-01-2011, 05:22 PM
Apparantly out of the 11 players supposed to show up, Harvin, Berrian, Shank and Rice are missing.

Who was it that was telling me that Ponder didn't have to earn his respect as a leader?

Know how many people showed up to Tom Brady's camp? 40

jmcdon00
06-01-2011, 05:34 PM
Kinda cool that Ponder has the playbook, and making an effort, even if it is mostly for show.

i_bleed_purple
06-01-2011, 05:42 PM
Here is the list through a day and a half of practices: Receivers Greg Camarillo and Emmanuel Arceneaux, tight end Kyle Rudolph, quarterbacks Joe Webb and Rhett Bomar, center Brandon Fusco and safety Mistral Raymond.

Wow. Star-studded lineup there. Waste of time really is what that is.

AngloVike
06-01-2011, 07:35 PM
Apparantly out of the 11 players supposed to show up, Harvin, Berrian, Shank and Rice are missing.

Who was it that was telling me that Ponder didn't have to earn his respect as a leader?

Shank not turning doesn't surprise me as he clearly feels he's the only TE on the team and therefore indispensable, so why the need to get used to the QB? more a casze of the QB getting used to him. Berrian is working up to his annual injury and so doesn't want to peak too early hence the no-show. Rice has probably been told to nothing physical in case he hurts himself and thereby takes himself out of the FA spend spend spend that will follow a CBA resolution. Only one I'm surprised at is Harvin as I expected better from him, still he's an NFL vet and therefore doesn't need to work with rookies :P

AngloVike
06-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Here is the list through a day and a half of practices: Receivers Greg Camarillo and Emmanuel Arceneaux, tight end Kyle Rudolph, quarterbacks Joe Webb and Rhett Bomar, center Brandon Fusco and safety Mistral Raymond.

Wouldn't say it was a waste of time, more likely that Ponder Rudolph and Fusco will be part of the team nucleus moving forward so they will definitely gain from the time together.

i_bleed_purple
06-01-2011, 08:03 PM

Wouldn't say it was a waste of time, more likely that Ponder Rudolph and Fusco will be part of the team nucleus moving forward so they will definitely gain from the time together.

barely. Ponder and Rudolph, yes. Fusco will be helpful to have there, IF they play him at center this year.

otherwise, might as well have just called up his buddies and said "come by my house, we'll run some routes and shit"

don't have to rent out the facility for three people.

The rest of them really contribute nothing. Cool that they're working out a bit, but this is nothing more than tossing the ball with your friends, when you get 5th and 6th string receivers showing up.

jkjuggalo
06-01-2011, 08:39 PM

barely. Ponder and Rudolph, yes. Fusco will be helpful to have there, IF they play him at center this year.

otherwise, might as well have just called up his buddies and said "come by my house, we'll run some routes and shit"

The rest of them really contribute nothing. Cool that they're working out a bit, but this is nothing more than tossing the ball with your friends, when you get 5th and 6th string receivers showing up.

At the very least it is helping the young QBs get familiar with the offense. If we are lucky, maybe one of those receivers will be taking over for Berrian this season.

I don't see it as a waste of time. In fact, this workout is very telling. It just goes to show you that the veteran leadership on this team is much weaker than we would like. If Tom Brady can get 40 players to show up why can't the Vikings get 10? This team is still a mess, but at least it seems we have a QB that gives a damn now.

i_bleed_purple
06-01-2011, 08:59 PM

At the very least it is helping the young QBs get familiar with the offense. If we are lucky, maybe one of those receivers will be taking over for Berrian this season.

I don't see it as a waste of time. In fact, this workout is very telling. It just goes to show you that the veteran leadership on this team is much weaker than we would like. If Tom Brady can get 40 players to show up why can't the Vikings get 10? This team is still a mess, but at least it seems we have a QB that gives a damn now.

I'd say it's more of a simple matter of, if Tom Brady tells you to jump, you ask how high. If Christian Ponder asks you to fly to Florida to work out, you might just have different plans.

The telling thing was there was only supposed to be 11 people showing up, four of which never made the trip (A kinda key four I'd say). They evidently don't care a whole heck of alot.

hell, McKinnie lives in Florida, don't see him there. I'm sure others do as well.

marshallvike
06-01-2011, 10:37 PM

I'd say it's more of a simple matter of, if Tom Brady tells you to jump, you ask how high. If Christian Ponder asks you to fly to Florida to work out, you might just have different plans.

The telling thing was there was only supposed to be 11 people showing up, four of which never made the trip (A kinda key four I'd say). They evidently don't care a whole heck of alot.

hell, McKinnie lives in Florida, don't see him there. I'm sure others do as well.

At least Arceneaux is learning the playbook. He is rplacing Sidney this year isn't he?

jkjuggalo
06-01-2011, 11:07 PM

Clearly Brady commands more respect than a rookie QB. I'm more disappointed in our veteran "leaders."

Why hasn't anybody else tried to organize workouts? Why hasn't a bigger name stepped up to support Ponder? I fear that Favre's selfishness during the offseason has rubbed off on a lot of our established vets and they have some sense of entitlement.

I have a lot of respect for Ponder after what he's attempted to do. On the flip side, I'm disturbed by the lack of interest from the rest of the team, especially those that are supposed to be strong locker room guys. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the Vikings breaking .500 this year unless Frazier and Co. changes the culture of this club quickly.

Zeus
06-02-2011, 01:51 AM
I have a lot of respect for Ponder after what he's attempted to do. On the flip side, I'm disturbed by the lack of interest from the rest of the team, especially those that are supposed to be strong locker room guys. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't see the Vikings breaking .500 this year unless Frazier and Co. changes the culture of this club quickly.

Rather pathetic that guys who said they would be there did not show up.

Ponder is here to stay. They need to realize that and get with "the" program, such as it is.

=Z=

VikesFan787
06-02-2011, 03:34 AM
Shank not turning doesn't surprise me as he clearly feels he's the only TE on the team and therefore indispensable, so why the need to get used to the QB? more a casze of the QB getting used to him. Berrian is working up to his annual injury and so doesn't want to peak too early hence the no-show. Rice has probably been told to nothing physical in case he hurts himself and thereby takes himself out of the FA spend spend spend that will follow a CBA resolution. Only one I'm surprised at is Harvin as I expected better from him, still he's an NFL vet and therefore doesn't need to work with rookies :P

LMAO!

AngloVike
06-02-2011, 08:32 AM

well given the difference currently between Brady and Ponder in terms of playing time and profile then I'm not surprised that Brady gets more people to his organised workouts. One thing is does show is the attitude of certain team members as to how much that they want to do in order to help the team this year.
Let's not mention McKinnie, he couldn't even keep his fat arse in shape during his rookie holdout so don't expect him to do that given that he's a veteran.

Despite the apparent lack of interest I still give huge props to Ponder for at least making an effort to get some things started. If he didn't do then he'd be in trouble with some fans for not taking a lead - he does and not many other Vikes show and so then people use that as a stick to beat him with... poor bugger can't win either way.

i_bleed_purple
06-02-2011, 01:34 PM
he does and not many other Vikes show and so then people use that as a stick to beat him with... poor bugger can't win either way.

Not really beating him, but he's learning the hard way, you can't walk in on day one and command the respect. Part of why we need this lockout to be over, or get a Vet. Ponder doesn't have ANY chemistry with his teammates. They can't even be bothered to show up for his workouts.

HEY
06-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Click HERE (http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/NFL-Network-Vikings-Workout-In-Florida/3cc347a7-1c95-4ed3-8603-5126f3ba4d8a) to wathc a video of rookie QB Christian Ponder talk about leading Vikings players through offseason workouts and to see some actual footage of the practice.

I like Chrisitan Ponder's approach to everything. In the mix of all this talk about talented QB's drafted high, but failing in the pro's because of insufficient mentality. I feel that Ponder got the right mindset to succeed.

jargomcfargo
06-02-2011, 04:53 PM

Rather pathetic that guys who said they would be there did not show up.

Ponder is here to stay. They need to realize that and get with "the" program, such as it is.

=Z=

It would appear the Vikings ship has no rudder. However, I'm not so sure there isn't a little more to the story.

Originally the workout was going to simply be a passing camp at a facility like FSU and informally run by the players.

Instead it became a formal type workout run by IMG. This includes passing drills and classroom time directed by Wienke, and professional trainer directed intense, go until you puke, type physical conditioning.

Your not going to see 40 players at a passing camp. In addition, the vets have their own conditioning programs and trainers for the off season,in many cases.

I'm pretty certain the vets feel they have little to gain and a lot to lose.

Rice doesn't need a copy of the playbook until after free agency anyway.

This is just one more example that underscores how professional football is all about the money for so many of these guys.

Wealthy owners. Rich players. Neglected fans.

Hopefully they will settle the labor dispute and the team will find a rudder, or it will be some rough sailing.

thorshammer
06-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Our team sucked last year. Nobody shows up to try to get better with the new QB. Very disappointing.

singersp
06-03-2011, 11:37 AM
How does a rookie QB, who supposedly made no money playing football in college & has yet to sign an NFL contract, afford to pay for Weineke & use of the facility?

singersp
06-03-2011, 12:00 PM

And two of those that were supposed to show & did, weren't even Vikings.

singersp
06-03-2011, 12:03 PM

Neither did Bomar, who apparently received one. If they sign a FA QB, he could easily be gone.

Purple Floyd
06-03-2011, 01:05 PM

Neither did Bomar, who apparently received one. If they sign a FA QB, he could easily be gone.

The obvious difference being that Bomar is under contract through 2012 while Rice is not under contract foe the upcoming year at this point and will need to be re signed before he is officially on the team and eligible for a play book.

i_bleed_purple
06-03-2011, 02:21 PM
How does a rookie QB, who supposedly made no money playing football in college & has yet to sign an NFL contract, afford to pay for Weineke & use of the facility?

I'm willing to bet on credit.

He knows he's going to get paid, Weinke knows he's going to get paid, it's just a matter of when.

Plus, I'm willing to bet the team would have covered part of it anyway.

Purple Floyd
06-03-2011, 06:25 PM

He knows he's going to get paid, Weinke knows he's going to get paid, it's just a matter of when.

He just borrowed it from the Chinese just like the government does.

Marrdro
06-04-2011, 02:42 PM

Was someone telling you that or were you misinterpreting what someone was telling you again?

Seriously, Ponder will have to earn everything. Doesn't mean he can't/won't.

I for one think the kid has put forth the best front, when it comes to football and leadership, than any QB on this team for a long time.

I for one love that he is trying to take on that role of a leader. I also, on the flip side, have a pretty nasty opinion of the Vets who blew him and his efforts off.

My guess, they were advised by their agents not to participate because they don't have any sort of long term solution to a contract or gaurantees if they were hurt during these thing any sort of gaurantee from the Vikes that they would be taken care of.

Of course I've been chanting that since we saw Rice take the season off last year and not many have agreed with me on that little point now have they.

Marrdro
06-04-2011, 02:44 PM
I was gonna add you to the "Someone who has a clue" spreadsheet but you were already on it.

Great post my friend. Especially that little nugget.

Marrdro
06-04-2011, 02:49 PM

Another one who's presence was verified on the "Those who have a clue spreadsheet".

Alls I can say is that as soon as the CBA thing is straightened out we better see a bunch of "Doing the right thing" out of the FO pukes when it comes to taking care of their vets or we will continue to see the wheels coming off and it will probably start with AD.

Loose that cat and the ship, IMHO will be officially sunk. The stuff we are seeing from Rice and Edwards will be nothing more than a bit of flooding.

Marrdro
06-04-2011, 02:51 PM
At least Arceneaux is learning the playbook. He is rplacing Sidney this year isn't he?
From what I've seen and read, sounds like he could. Spent some time up in the land of 10,000 lakes a few weeks ago. Some of my friends that follow Canadian ball said the kid was going to break out at this level.

Marrdro
06-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Clearly Brady commands more respect than a rookie QB. I'm more disappointed in our veteran "leaders."

Why hasn't anybody else tried to organize workouts? Why hasn't a bigger name stepped up to support Ponder? I fear that Favre's selfishness during the offseason has rubbed off on a lot of our established vets and they have some sense of entitlement.

Brady, even though he does command respect, is on a team that has damn near every roster spot filled with someone under a long term contract.

Ponder, on the other hand, has a bunch of vets that have nothing more than short term "Tags" being handed out.

Someone doesn't have the Vets respect. My guess, its not the youngster but the FO pukes and the organization, who the Vets don't respect. ;)

On a side note. Looks like you've brought your "A" game in this thread. Second fine post from you my friend.

Marrdro
06-04-2011, 02:57 PM
Not really beating him,
My ass, you've been on him like white on rice since we drafted him.

Atleast he shows up for practice and wants to work at his craft other than just showing up to play on Sundays.

Marrdro
06-04-2011, 02:59 PM
Click HERE (http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/NFL-Network-Vikings-Workout-In-Florida/3cc347a7-1c95-4ed3-8603-5126f3ba4d8a) to wathc a video of rookie QB Christian Ponder talk about leading Vikings players through offseason workouts and to see some actual footage of the practice.

I like Chrisitan Ponder's approach to everything. In the mix of all this talk about talented QB's drafted high, but failing in the pro's because of insufficient mentality. I feel that Ponder got the right mindset to succeed.
He sure has been the face of the team of late hasn't he.

Gotta agree. So far he is everything one would want in a leader of a team.

Purple Floyd
06-04-2011, 02:59 PM
While I can understand the thought of an agent advising players against participating you also have to acknowledge that the Vikings would then seem to have an unusually high number of players listening to their agents vs. their team leaders when you look at the number of players that ARE showing up to train on other teams.

That does not bode well for the Vikings if true because it shoots a huge hole in the theory that has been floated for years that the staff was building a team of players that had strong character in the wake of the love boat culture that the team had before.

It is looking more and more like it might take 5 years or more to recover from the Childress era my friends.Combine that with the re emergence of the packers, the improving Bears and the Lions,who might actually dominate the division and we are going to have a very tough row to hoe.

Marrdro
06-04-2011, 03:00 PM
It would appear the Vikings ship has no rudder. However, I'm not so sure there isn't a little more to the story.

Originally the workout was going to simply be a passing camp at a facility like FSU and informally run by the players.

Instead it became a formal type workout run by IMG. This includes passing drills and classroom time directed by Wienke, and professional trainer directed intense, go until you puke, type physical conditioning.

Your not going to see 40 players at a passing camp. In addition, the vets have their own conditioning programs and trainers for the off season,in many cases.

I'm pretty certain the vets feel they have little to gain and a lot to lose.

This is just one more example that underscores how professional football is all about the money for so many of these guys.

Wealthy owners. Rich players. Neglected fans.

Hopefully they will settle the labor dispute and the team will find a rudder, or it will be some rough sailing.

No way, they play it cause they love the game. .......snicker.......

Damn fine post Doc. Damn fine post.

Marrdro
06-04-2011, 03:03 PM

My guess, this bill was footed by the Agent(s) and the bill was probably knocked down a bit so that said agent sends players there in the future as they prep for the NFL not to mention how they seem to be getting lots of free advertisement from it.

Marrdro
06-04-2011, 03:05 PM
While I can understand the thought of an agent advising players against participating you also have to acknowledge that the Vikings would then seem to have an unusually high number of players listening to their agents vs. their team leaders when you look at the number of players that ARE showing up to train on other teams.

That does not bode well for the Vikings if true because it shoots a huge hole in the theory that has been floated for years that the staff was building a team of players that had strong character in the wake of the love boat culture that the team had before.

It is looking more and more like it might take 5 years or more to recover from the Childress era my friends.Combine that with the re emergence of the packers, the improving Bears and the Lions,who might actually dominate the division and we are going to have a very tough row to hoe.
Or could it be that the players now feel that that don't have a voice with the FO pukes now that the Chiller is gone?

Go back and look at Phat Pats first comments when the offseason started. Mix that with how he and the Chiller first started out (Chiller wouldn't let him practice with the team until he got in shape) and one would think that Phat Pat would be the first one to say he was glad he was gone.

Instead, he says, I trust no one now (in essence).

AngloVike
06-04-2011, 08:18 PM

That does not bode well for the Vikings if true because it shoots a huge hole in the theory that has been floated for years that the staff was building a team of players that had strong character in the wake of the love boat culture that the team had before

Think it also suggests, to me at least, that a large number of the current roster have already given up on the season - with the lockout likely to impact teams with new HCs and schemes especially. Add in a rookie QB and many probably feel 'why put myself out in the offseason?'

Purple Floyd
06-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Or could it be that the players now feel that that don't have a voice with the FO pukes now that the Chiller is gone?

You really, really need to get out of that closet Marty. The hallucinations are really starting to effect your thought process. The thought of the chiller being any kind of conduit from the players to the front office is possibly the most preposterous statement that I have yet to see on this forum. Do they give you any type of fresh air intake in there? It seems that maybe the CO level might be getting too high in there.

Go back and look at Phat Pats first comments when the offseason started. Mix that with how he and the Chiller first started out (Chiller wouldn't let him practice with the team until he got in shape) and one would think that Phat Pat would be the first one to say he was glad he was gone.

If you have ever listened to more than 2 of his statements it becomes obvious that you cannot understand or take anything out of what he says.

Instead, he says, I trust no one now (in essence).

Meaning Kevin Williams because he stopped fighting the doping charges but take it as you like.....

bleedpurple
06-06-2011, 09:18 PM
i've also wondered why none of the vikings have held team activities... I like Ponder's attempt to acclimate himself to the team, but uhhh,... Ponder vs. Favre.... No comparison... If I'm a receiver and am used to catching the ball from Favre, to go to a REACH at Ponder, i'm not surprised they didn't show up... Rice, understandable bc he's not under contract..

My problem is more with character, if they say they are gonna be there.. then show up.. it was paid for by Ponder, or give the dude a reason.. show some class and at least say, sorry man, I can't make it... Very vaggy to just not show up.... oh well.. they will be in LA soon anyway...

Dibbzz
06-07-2011, 09:55 AM
Eh, I could kind of go either way in regards to Rice and Co. no showing to the Ponder facilitated workouts. On the one hand yeah, it would be nice for them to show up and get acclimated with their new rookie quarterback but at the same time there is no Collective agreement between owners and players and all of these workouts at this point are strictly voluntary and I'm cool with the players no showing these. I would at least think that Bernard Berrian, who's likely on the chop block right about now, would show up and catch some passes from The Rook in the hopes of securing some kind of long term deal after having a few horrendous past few seasons. By that I mean gaining a rapport with him and learning the nuances of how he throws the ball, etc. I'm glad some other rookies like Mistral Raymond and Kyle Rudolph are attending the workouts. If this is the worst thing that ever happens this season I'll be happy, so long as we practice as a team when it really matters during training camp.

singersp
06-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Ponder hosts workout; gives playbook to vets

So let me get this straight, the acclaimed "Vets" who got the play book were

1 year a Viking Greg Camarillo, 1 year a Viking Joe Webb and 2 weeks a Viking Rhett Bomar, none of whom are first on the depth chart?