PDA

View Full Version : Jared Allen, Bling police: Rips rookies’ jewelry

singersp
05-06-2011, 11:13 PM
Jared Allen, bling police: Vikings star rips rookies’ draft jewelry

For a guy who used to have a mullet, Jared Allen(notes) sure is uppity about casting aspersions on people for their life decisions.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Jared-Allen-bling-police-Vikings-star-rips-roo?urn=nfl-wp1890

Caine
05-07-2011, 01:46 AM
I actually agree with Allen. These Rookies are blowing thousands on bling when they might not even realistically have jobs!!

Prove yourself, THEN buy the bling...

Caine

kevoncox
05-07-2011, 01:59 AM
So a first round talent buys a 10,000 watch. Why is this news? Who cares? Allen doesn't really look like the kinda guy that buys jewelry anyways. Different culture, different interest, it's silly to even comment on it. Kinda like me bashing him for buying a $5,000 hunting gun? It will never make sense to me because I'm not in that culture. So why not just mind you damn business? Agents agent and players play. (right Marr)

i_bleed_purple
05-07-2011, 02:05 AM
Agents agent and players play. (right Marr)

HA!

Mr Anderson
05-07-2011, 02:22 AM
A first round draft pick has job security. I don't see anything wrong with this.

They might have to wait a little while longer to sign a contract than most classes do, but they will be paid.

I think it's wasteful to spend that much on jewelry anyway, but if you can get away with it I can't knock it. Just like Kevon said, Allen blows money on all kinds of stuff which some people would find wasteful.

Allen hunts animals with guns while these guys hunt sluts with big watches.

i_bleed_purple
05-07-2011, 02:32 AM
I perhaps might have waited until I actually got my money, but in the end, who cares. 10K is a ridiculously small fraction of what he'll be making this year.

Culpepper_4717
05-07-2011, 03:06 AM
Bradford had $24 million guaranteed and he said in a interview that the most expensive thing he bought was a ping-pong table.

singersp
05-07-2011, 03:25 AM
I actually agree with Allen. These Rookies are blowing thousands on bling when they might not even realistically have jobs!!

Prove yourself, THEN buy the bling...

Caine

Do you honestly believe JA didn't spend/blow money before he proved himself?

It may not have been on bling, but blowing money on other things is no different.

Players earn millions, even the average ones, but the stat I've heard is 70% of them end up broke 10 years after they are done with the NFL.

I don't know how far back they are basing that % on. A few of us older ones remember when players salaries weren't enough & many of them had regular jobs during the offseason.

Lets also not forget, just because they had bling, doesn't mean they just recently bought it.

A lot of these college players have money & things they couldn't otherwise afford. We all know money & gifts find a way into their hands, especially the talented ones.

Vikes_King
05-08-2011, 09:22 AM
I don't blame Allen for his thoughts, hell, look at Dez Bryant. He owed people a ton of money because he was out buying jewelry and shit b4 he was drafted.

I don't fault these young players for getting themselves some rewards for their work - but you never know how the draft is going to go. People who are predicted top 10 picks can drop to the 2nd round and get a fraction of what they thought they might.

Just like credit cards, its stupid to spend thousands of dollars that you don't have.

ultravikingfan
05-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Best statement in the article:

These are 21-year-old kids on the verge of earning the first big paycheck of their lives (except for Cam Newton).

jessejames09
05-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Remember Jared Allen was a 4th round draft choice. Marcel Dareuses' watch is probably worth more than JA got in a signing bonus.

singersp
05-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Remember Jared Allen was a 4th round draft choice. Marcel Dareuses' watch is probably worth more than JA got in a signing bonus.

Question is, did he buy it recently anticipating a payday, or was it a *cough* gift when he was in Alabama

kevoncox
05-08-2011, 03:29 PM

These are 21-year-old kids on the verge of earning the first big paycheck of their lives (except for Cam Newton).

Lol.

singersp
05-08-2011, 03:29 PM

NEWS FLASH! I doubt Cam Newton was the only one of these guys sporting bling that has already received a first big paycheck.

A lot of these guys' palms have been greased.

kevoncox
05-08-2011, 03:32 PM
I think the money comes from their agents/agency. It's a loan based on the money they expect the player to make. While, I wouldn't run out and by a huge watch like those guys, I see nothing wrong with rewarding yourself with nice things. I love cars, so I would probably buy a couple and a really nice home for myself and family. Remember these guys are huge KIDS. What would you have spent $100,000 on as a 21-22 year old? I'm sure some stupid ish.

Mr Anderson
05-08-2011, 03:36 PM

NEWS FLASH! I doubt Cam Newton was the only one of these guys sporting bling that has already received a first big paycheck.

A lot of these guys' palms have been greased.
For sure. Especially in the SEC.

Boosters boost the size of their wallets.

singersp
05-08-2011, 03:37 PM
I think the money comes from their agents/agency. It's a loan based on the money they expect the player to make. While, I wouldn't run out and by a huge watch like those guys, I see nothing wrong with rewarding yourself with nice things. I love cars, so I would probably buy a couple and a really nice home for myself and family. Remember these guys are huge KIDS. What would you have spent $100,000 on as a 21-22 year old? I'm sure some stupid ish.

And JA was 21 himself. Now while he may not have bought "Bling", I'm pretty sure he blew some cash on something.