PDA

View Full Version : Vikings Starters In 2011

HEY
04-19-2011, 02:58 AM
I saw this somewhere else and thought it would be a little fun thing to do (not much else going on anyway).

Who do you think will be the Vikings starters in 2011?

It could be interesting to see what everyone thinks and it might give us a little overview on the Vikings' situation. Also, mucho respect will be given to the man who predicts the right starters at the opening of the regular season. :)

Copy and paste the text underneath and fill in the names you realistically believe should be the Minnesota Vikings starting players by (hopefully) the opening of the 2011 NFL regular season!

Quarterback:
Halfback:
Fullback:
Wide Receiver 1:
Wide Receiver 2:
Wide Receiver 3:
Tight End:
Left Offensive Tackle:
Left Guard:
Center:
Right Guard:
Right Offensive Tackle:
Left Defensive End:
Defensive Tackle 1:
Defensive Tackle 2:
Right Defensive End:
Left Outside Linebacker:
Middle Linebacker:
Right Outside Linebacker:
Cornerback 1:
Cornerback 2:
Cornerback 3:
Strong Safety:
Free Safety:
Kicker:
Punter:
Kick Returner:
Punt Returner:

HEY
04-19-2011, 03:25 AM
I'm gonna give it a try! :) Here's who I think will be the starters in 2011:

Quarterback: Ryan Mallett (don't like going with someone not on the roster, but he likes Minny :) )
Halfback: Adrian Peterson (duh!)
Fullback: Naufahu Tahi (unfortunately...)
Wide Receiver 1: Sidney Rice (I have faith in him coming back)
Wide Receiver 2: Percy Harvin (no brainer)
Wide Receiver 2: Greg Camarillo
Tight End: Visanthe Shiancoe (definitely no brainer)
Left Offensive Tackle: Bryant McKinnie
Left Guard: Steve Hutchinson
Center: John Sullivan
Right Guard: Anthony Herrera
Right Offensive Tackle: Phil Loadholt
Left Defensive End: Brian Robison (not sure Ray stays and I like Robison)
Defensive Tackle 1: Kevin Williams
Defensive Tackle 2: Pat Williams (he'll be back for another year)
Right Defensive End: Jared Allen
Left Outside Linebacker: Ben Leber
Middle Linebacker: E.J. Henderson
Right Outside Linebacker: Chad Greenway
Cornerback 1: Cedric Griffin
Cornerback 2: Chris Cook
Cornerback 3: Antoine Winfield
Strong Safety: Jamarca Sanford (Madieu Williams needs to do!)
Free Safety: Husain Abdullah
Kicker: Ryan Longwell (new kickoff rule makes field shorter for Ryan)
Punter: Chris Cluwe
Kick returner: Percy Harvin
Punt returner: Greg Camarillo
Yes, it's a conservative list, but that's how I think it will be. :)

12purplepride28
04-19-2011, 06:20 AM
While you went with a more realistic one, I'll go in the direction that I would like to see us take. I know that the coaching staff wants to ease harvins burden and focus on him more on offense, even though I would be fine with him splitting reps at KR with Julio once we draft him. I would love to get mallett but I don't think he'll fall in the second and I don't think we have the ammo to trade up to get him or locker, so Stanzi is our consolation prize after trading up into the 3rd round (somehow). Tahi has to go and D'imperio is a cool last name, so i'd like him in there. I think if we can get sid back and draft julio, we will have a top WR corp in the league which will help ease a new qb into the nfl. I would love for us to draft alex henerey, loved him at NE (go huskers!) and I would love him in purple and gold. I think that we will keep kluwe on even though henery can punt as well as kick. Leber won't resign and neither will fatty patty, so Erin henderson or brinkley will take over for him. I don't know if I we would ever move antoine to safety, but it's a possibility. I would be fine if we kept asher as our 4th cb and put antoine in as the 3rd and started abdullah and sanford at SS and FS. I like cam as a 4th receiver and PR, and hope he stays on and we kick berrian and madieu to the curb. Well its 12:20 and thats my wish list for next years team.

Quarterback: Ricky Stanzi
Halfback: Adrian Peterson
Fullback: Ryan D'Imperio/No Fullback (AP's favorite fullback is NO FULLBACK)
Wide Receiver 1: Sidney Rice
Wide Receiver 2: Julio Jones
Wide Receiver 3: Percy Harvin
Tight End: Shank
Left Offensive Tackle: Mckinnie
Left Guard: Hutch
Center: Sully
Right Guard: Degeare
Right Offensive Tackle: Loadholt
Left Defensive End: Everson Griffen
Defensive Tackle 1: K-will
Defensive Tackle 2: Guion
Right Defensive End: Allen
Left Outside Linebacker: Erin Henderson
Middle Linebacker:EJ
Right Outside Linebacker: Greenway
Cornerback 1: Cedric
Cornerback 2: Cook
Cornerback 3: Asher
Strong Safety: Winfield
Free Safety: Insane Abdullah
Kicker: Alex Henery
Punter: Chris Kluwe
Kick Returner: Julio Jones
Punt Returner: Camarillo

i_bleed_purple
04-19-2011, 06:44 AM
Quarterback: Matt Hasslebeck
Fullback: Ryan D'Imperio
Wide Receiver 2: Percy Harvin
Wide Receiver 3: Bernard Berrian
Right Guard: Herrerra
Left Defensive End: Ray Edwards (If the RFA tag gets changed, then Griffen)
Defensive Tackle 2: Jimmy Kennedy
Left Outside Linebacker: Ben Leber (I think he'll come back for cheap)
Cornerback 1: Winfield
Strong Safety: Griffin
Free Safety: Abdullah
Kicker: Ryan Longwell
Kick Returner: Lorenzo Booker
Punt Returner: Lorenzo Booker

Yes, that's right, I think they try Griffen at Safety, because with his knees, he's done at corner.

mad-dog_six-eight
04-19-2011, 07:16 AM
Fullback: Ryan D'Imperio
Wide Receiver 3: Bernard Berrian
Right Guard: Herrerra
Left Defensive End: Ray Edwards (If the RFA tag gets changed, then Griffen)
Defensive Tackle 2: Jimmy Kennedy
Left Outside Linebacker: Ben Leber (I think he'll come back for cheap)
Cornerback 1: Winfield
Strong Safety: Griffin
Free Safety: Abdullah

Yes, that's right, I think they try Griffen at Safety, because with his knees, he's done at corner.

I like Lorenzo as a return man, he really looked like he had something to prove last season, especially with Percy fumbling a couple of times. Plus, i think that that is his only way on the roster cuz IMO Albert Young is a better 3rd back.

mad-dog_six-eight
04-19-2011, 07:36 AM
Quarterback: Webb (Webb is the only choice there is at the moment. But there are rumors about McNabb, Hasselbeck, etc. there are just too many questions here to try and pin one down.)

3rd Down Back: Toby Gerhart

Fullback: Ryan D'Imperio (would not be surprised at all if they drafted/signed a free agent here. also wouldnt be surprised if they went with a two back set to get Toby and Adrian on the field at the same time)

Wide Receiver 1: Sidney Rice (too many health concerns for anyone else to give him what he's looking for, he'll be back)

Wide Receiver 2: Bernard Berrian (he's probably going to be here for at least one more year)

Tight End: Visanthe Shiancoe (they will probably bring in a draft pick or small name free agent, they have said they want to get younger here)

Center: John Sullivan (again, wouldn't be surprised if they seriously looked at more options here)

Left Defensive End: Adrian Clayborn (Ray is as good as gone, but if they dont draft someone, Robison will perform better than most expectations)

Defensive Tackle 2: Pat Williams (again i dont think he'll get the money/playing situation he wants from another team. he'll retire a viking)

Left Outside Linebacker: Erin Henderson (they'll probably draft someone to get more depth here, but Leber is probably gone)

Strong Safety: Tyrell Johnson (but they cant seem to decide between him and jamarca sanford here)

Kick returner: Lorenzo Booker/Percy Harvin (In that order)

Punt returner: Lorenzo Booker (but i think they'll give percy his shot here if Booker starts to perform less than desirably. im not sure why percy hasn't returned punts before.)

12purplepride28
04-19-2011, 02:17 PM

Ah I knew I was forgetting someone. I think Booker will be the KR not Jones. He looked good last year and I like him back there for kicks and cam at punts. Just a quick question, who do you have us drafting? No starter?

Marrdro
04-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Quarterback: Kevin Kolb (Staff has to make a splash. Fits the scheme and should be the quickest to ramp up in a shortened timeframe because of the CBA thing.)

Fullback: Ryan D'Imperio (My guess is they might not even carry one)

Wide Receiver 2: Bernard Berrian - Kolb brings back the long ball.

Tight End: Visanthe Shiancoe

Left Defensive End: Everson Griffen (We sign Rice but it costs us Ray)

Defensive Tackle 2: Marvin Austin (Hoping for Paea or Taylor)

Left Outside Linebacker: Erin Henderson (They have to resign either Ben or Erin. My guess, Erin gets the nod if they don't draft a starter this year)

Cornerback 3: Asher Allen

Strong Free Safety (Leslie says we don't have a SS but rather 2 FS's: Madieu Williams

Kicker: Thomas Weber (New rule makes field shorter for Shortwell and we loose out in the bidding war as we allocate that money for resigning real players like Rice)

Kick returner: Lorenzo Booker (Staff will be looking to make Percy the focus of the offense so that will take time away from ST's.)

HEY
04-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Strong Free Safety (Leslie says we don't have a SS but rather 2 FS's: Madieu Williams
I knew you were going to comment on that Marrdro! ;)

You're right to say (or should I say Leslie Frazier is right to say) that we have two free safeties in our defensive scheme. Honestly, at first I wrote "Safety 1" and "Safety 2", but then I thought that there are a few plays where we move a safety down so I decided to distinguish the safeties for that purpose. :)

I both hope and believe we don't start Madieu Williams. His contract demands way too much this year and he makes way too many bad plays. I think he will be cut. I'd rather have Jamarca Sanford or Tyrell Johnson starting next to Abdullah.

Marrdro
04-19-2011, 03:37 PM
I knew you were going to comment on that Marrdro! ;)

You're right to say (or should I say Leslie Frazier is right to say) that we have two free safeties in our defensive scheme. Honestly, at first I wrote "Safety 1" and "Safety 2", but then I thought that there are a few plays where we move a safety down so I decided to distinguish the safeties for that purpose. :)

I both hope and believe we don't start Madieu Williams. His contract demands way too much this year and he makes way too many bad plays. I think he will be cut. I'd rather have Jamarca Sanford or Tyrell Johnson starting next to Abdullah.
Looks like I need to change my act up a bit if you've got me pegged that good......:P

I am not a huge fan of M-will either, but I believe we will see increased production/better play out of our backend when we fix the middle of the DL this year.

In short, they make mistakes thats for sure but alot of their mistakes are caused by poor play on the DL.

Another thing I think will help. Play calling. I hack on JA getting caught rushing the passer on running plays, but some of my observations are also related to the DB's.

I don't know how many times I saw our S's trying to play coverage on a play that was clearly run and saw them playing run on plays were it was clearly pass as well.

My hope is that with Griff and Cook back, the CB play will be better (although it wasn't that bad last year) which will help the S's to free up to make better plays. Mix in better play on the DL and I think you will forget all bout M-will back there my friend.

i_bleed_purple
04-19-2011, 04:12 PM
I like Lorenzo as a return man, he really looked like he had something to prove last season, especially with Percy fumbling a couple of times. Plus, i think that that is his only way on the roster cuz IMO Albert Young is a better 3rd back.

I thought Albert Young finally got cut? If not, he should The dude's trash. AD, Gerhart and Booker is a decent lineup, no need for Young.

Just a quick question, who do you have us drafting? No starter?
Drafting Mallett, but he sits behind a vet this season. At least for the first half of the season.

i_bleed_purple
04-19-2011, 04:15 PM
I think you will forget all bout M-will back there my friend.

I don't. I'll go out on a limb and say Williams was our WORST Safety last year. Including guys like Sanford and Tyrell. He can't cover, he is afraid to hit. He makes a couple solid hits, whiffs on just as many, and gives a half-assed attempt on others.

marshallvike
04-19-2011, 04:22 PM

I thought Albert Young finally got cut? If not, he should The dude's trash. AD, Gerhart and Booker is a decent lineup, no need for Young.

Just a quick question, who do you have us drafting? No starter?
Drafting Mallett, but he sits behind a vet this season. At least for the first half of the season.

I agree on Young. We expected more out of him last year. The few opportunities he had, he did nothing with.

Like the Mallett thought also. Lets hope he gets to us in the second round.

midgensa
04-19-2011, 08:17 PM
Quarterback: Jake Locker — I get the feeling more and more that this is their guy at No. 12 and I think he will be there. I would love to be wrong and see Kevin Kolb though.

Halfback: Adrian Peterson (Gerhart for third downs and Booker as 3rd RB)

Fullback: Ryan D'Imperio – I think they carry one, even if they barely use him

Wide Receiver 2: Bernard Berrian - Going to be too much of a hit to just let him go ... and he is still better than Camarillo

LOT: Bryant McKinnie

LG: Steve Hutchinson

RG: Anthony Herrera

ROT: Phil Loadholt

Left Defensive End: Everson Griffen – If the RFA tender sticks with Edwards then it will likely be him, but I don't think it will stick

Defensive Tackle 2: Letroy Guion – I could see us getting a FA here as well ... and MAYBE have Pat coming back

Left Outside Linebacker: Ben Leber – He will stick around, and so will Erin Henderson, keeping our LBs one of our deeper and better strengths.

CB 1: Cedric Griffin – This could easily change if Cedric does not have the knees for the position anymore, but I think he still gets the nod.

CB 2: Chris Cook – Frazier seemed to REALLY like the kid, and injuries slowed him ... I think he comes out with fire in camp.

CB 3: Antoine Winfield – The talk of moving to safety seems POSSIBLE but not PROBABLE

CB 4: Asher Allen

S: Madieu Williams – Not sure exactly how the safeties will play out since Frazier will use them differently with Pagac. I think Williams might have a better fit in a different type of defense.

S: Husain Abdullah

Kicker: A FA or Undrafted kid. I think Longwell will be a little pricey at his age

Kick returner: Lorenzo Booker – Obviously, Percy will still get some "big" returns ... though Booker could be a serious diamond in the rough here.

Punt returner: Greg Camarillo - Another spot where Booker, Percy, drafted kid, etc. could get a look. I think Childress tended to take a "conservative" approach to PRs and Frazier might not do so.

AngloVike
04-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Cmon... who's the comedian who voted for TJ as starting QB in the poll?? Always one has to go too far eh? :laugh:

marshallvike
04-19-2011, 10:13 PM
Cmon... who's the comedian who voted for TJ as starting QB in the poll?? Always one has to go too far eh? :laugh:

that would be this vike.;)

Mr Anderson
04-19-2011, 11:09 PM
Quarterback: Joe Webb
Fullback: Owen Marecic(late rounder)
Wide Receiver 3: Not Berrian. Leonard Hankerson(3rd round, if we get one somehow)If not, Ronald Johnson in the 4th/5th.
Left Offensive Tackle: Bryant Mckinnie
Center: Ryan Cook
Right Guard: John Moffitt (4th round)
Left Defensive End: Brian Robison
Defensive Tackle 2: Stephen Paea (2nd round)
Left Outside Linebacker: Ernie Sims (FA) if we lose Leber
Middle Linebacker: EJ Henderson
Cornerback 1: Prince Amukamara (1st round pick)
Cornerback 2: Cedric Griffin/Chris Cook
Cornerback 3: Antoine Winfield(depends on who we're playing and how they line up.)
Free Safety 1: Cedric Griffin/Chris Cook
Free Safety 2: Hussain Abdullah
Kicker: Alex Henery (6th round)
Kick Returner: Percy Harvin

I really hate that there's no free agency still.

i_bleed_purple
04-19-2011, 11:17 PM
Ernie Simms is an interesting prospect. I recall the draft where we got Greenway, alot of us wanted Simms. Would be sweet to end up with both. Simms can still be effective. Not as good as Greenway, but effective.

Mr Anderson
04-19-2011, 11:30 PM
Ernie Simms is an interesting prospect. I recall the draft where we got Greenway, alot of us wanted Simms. Would be sweet to end up with both. Simms can still be effective. Not as good as Greenway, but effective.
He had a very quiet season in Philly, so he may come on the cheap as well.

For the first few years of their careers, Sims looked like the better player IMO, but over the past two seasons Greenway has really stood out.

midgensa
04-19-2011, 11:42 PM
Wide Receiver 3: Not Berrian. Leonard Hankerson(3rd round, if we get one somehow)If not, Ronald Johnson in the 4th/5th.
Cornerback 3: Antoine Winfield(depends on who we're playing and how they line up.)

That is an awful lot of rooks you got on there. I don't see any way we have a 4th rounder starting on the offensive line ... but if we get one we think is the future ... I am not against it.

EDIT: And there is no way Prince falls to us ... but I would love that if he did.

Mr Anderson
04-20-2011, 12:04 AM

That is an awful lot of rooks you got on there. I don't see any way we have a 4th rounder starting on the offensive line ... but if we get one we think is the future ... I am not against it.

EDIT: And there is no way Prince falls to us ... but I would love that if he did.
Moffitt is an All-American, 24 year old red shirt senior from Wisconsin with a mean streak. As far as rookie offensive linemen(especially interior linemen) go, that's as close to plug and play as you can find. The only real knock against the guy is that he's slow, but he's a guard, so I don't care.

It's plausible for Amukamara to fall actually, it may be due to teams blowing smoke, but on a few mocks I've been reading lately Amukamara is falling due to QBs' stocks rising. I don't see him falling past both San Francisco and Houston, so it's wishful thinking.

I like rookies early in the season with our expectations so low, except for at QB. You get a feel for what they can do, if they struggle you bench them and bring them back at a later point, if they don't, you have a starter.

SharperImage
04-20-2011, 12:17 AM
Quarterback: Ryan Mallett (best ready qb in the draft )

Fullback: Naufahu Tahi

Wide Receiver 2: Bernard Berrian

Left Defensive End: Ray Edwards

Defensive Tackle 2: Pat Williams

Left Outside Linebacker: Ben Leber

Strong Safety: Tyrell Johnson

Kick returner: Lorenzo Booker

i_bleed_purple
04-20-2011, 12:19 AM
Quarterback: Ryan Mallett (best ready qb in the draft )

How exactly do you think we'lll get both Jones and Mallett? No way Mallett drops to us in the second.

SharperImage
04-20-2011, 12:21 AM
trade up back into the first and draft Mallett.

i_bleed_purple
04-20-2011, 12:36 AM
trade up back into the first and draft Mallett.

Trade what? We have a #12 second, a fourth, two fifths, sixths and sevens.

We don't have the picks to trade up to the first again, and if we do, we have no picks left.

Using the point chart

#43: 470
#105: 84
#139: 38
#150: 32.6
#172: 25
#200: Untradable
#215: 9.8
#236: Untradable

In total, our picks are worth 659.4

The highest pick we could get with that, while trading all our picks except for a 6th and 7th is #29 of the first round.

If we keep our second rounder, not a chance of moving up.

#29 is held by the Bears
#30 is the Jets
#31 is the Steelers
#32 is the Packers

We won't trade with the Bears or Packers. they're divisional rivals, no chance.

The Jets is possible, but unlikely
The Steelers is doubtful.

That still brings up the issue of not having any other draft picks except for two first rounders. That would be stupid IMO. Third worst trade we've ever made.

Ahead of #29 are: Panthers, Bills, Bengals, Cards, Browns, 49ers, Titans, Redskins, Dolphins, Seahawks. With the way Mallett's stock seems to be rising, no chance in hell we get him with #29 in the draft. Not to mention there's talk of the Colts and Pats considering QB's as replacements for Manning/Brady down the road.

A draft class of Julio Jones and Ryan Mallett wouldn't be the worst ever, but it just won't happen.

Zeus
04-20-2011, 01:17 AM
Anyone who lists Sid Rice as a Vikings is living in a dream world. There's no chance - unless free agency doesn't start until September - that he re-signs with the Vikings.

And then it would only be for a single year.

=Z=

Mr Anderson
04-20-2011, 01:39 AM
Anyone who lists Sid Rice as a Vikings is living in a dream world. There's no chance - unless free agency doesn't start until September - that he re-signs with the Vikings.

=Z=
Musgrave might be able to talk him into it.

Roddy White and a rookie QB made it work with Musgrave calling the offense. No reason why Rice can't be even better.

i_bleed_purple
04-20-2011, 01:40 AM

=Z=
or:

a) They don't work out a new CBA, but the judge decides there will be a season, keeping the old RFA rules in place
b) a new CBA is agreed upon that reduces the RFA from 6 to 5 years, the average of what it is now and what it used to be.
c) The new coaches talk to Rice, and he agrees to come back (least likely)

There's a good shot at Rice being here, far less so IMO that Edwards will be.

mad-dog_six-eight
04-20-2011, 04:32 AM
i really think Sidney will come back. The vikes are the only real team that are going to pay him the kind of money he'll want. would you pay superstar money to a guy who has put up these stats?

07 13 games, 31 catches, 396 yards, 4 TD's
08 13 games, 15 catches, 141 yards, 4 TD's
09 16 games, 83 catches, 1,312 yards, 8 TD's
10 6 games, 17 catches, 280 yards, 2 TD's

for the vikes, he is the #1 receiver and is THE guy. The vikings will pay him like a star player (probably with playing time incentives) and he'll continue to be loved here. he already knows the area and can be a huge part of the "rise from the ashes" scenario that i believe the Vikes will go through with a better than crap QB.

anywhere else, he'll have to explain why he needs to get paid because he only has one good year, the same year he has had no injury problems. and he'll have to prove himself all over again. he'll have to play out another contract before he'll get the star money he wants.

Marrdro
04-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Quarterback: Jake Locker — I get the feeling more and more that this is their guy at No. 12 and I think he will be there. I would love to be wrong and see Kevin Kolb though.

For some reason I am starting to doubt myself with Locker at 12. If they can't get a trade partner, then they might opt to let him go and get what is left at 43.

Course, all that is out the window if the FA market hits before the draft and they make a run at Kolb. The 12th, I'm sure, will be part of that run.

In the end, I'm with you. Its gonna be one of those two, if it falls the way they want it to.

Left Outside Linebacker: Ben Leber – He will stick around, and so will Erin Henderson, keeping our LBs one of our deeper and better strengths.
I'd love to see them both come back. I wonder if they will have enough cash to pay both of them, resign Chad and extend EJ.

If you had the choice, would you pay EJ or Ben? I think Jasper comes into play in that discussion as he didn't do to bad filling in at the Mike when EJ went down.

S: Madieu Williams – Not sure exactly how the safeties will play out since Frazier will use them differently with Pagac. I think Williams might have a better fit in a different type of defense.
Agree. I really liked what I saw out of the D late last year. Can't wait to see what it might look like with a couple of new faces on the DL.

Kicker: A FA or Undrafted kid. I think Longwell will be a little pricey at his age
Agree, mostly cause of the guys that are ahead of him in the pecking order of those that need to be taken care of.

Marrdro
04-20-2011, 03:40 PM

Very interesting. Of course you know I have some questions....

Webb. Do you think they are set on him or do they just wind up with him as the best option.

FB. Why not the guy we have on the roster that already has one year under his belt? In essence, why waste a pick on a FB when you just used one last year?

BB. Don't you worry about the rook out there in place of a vet? I like to have vet WR's when you have rook QB's not rooks on each end of the ball.

Cook at C. Interesting. Not sure they will be able to resign him. Additionally, who goes, Sully ($555k) or Coop ($480K)?

Herrara. Are you concerned he isn't going to be healthy or are saying his play doesn't warrant the starting spot?

That, along with the Cook shift makes 2 changes on the OL. Not a good mix when you have a young QB under C IMHO.

Rob. Why? Do you think he can standup to the beating in the base? Why not Griff? Keep Rob as your situational guy behind Griff and JA were he seems to be better suited (and is in line with his contract).

Paea. You put him in there cause you knew I would love it. Personnally I don't see him getting to us even though he got close in my mock (42 to Houst). What do you think of the guy I put in "Marv Austin"?

Simms. Loved his productin early with the Lions. 2 years running being injurd though. I'd rather draft a guy or get Erin/Ben back.

Prince. Maybe if he gets there but I doubt it. Additionally, we already have alot of picks invested in CB of late. My guess is they will try to develop those instead of adding more talent that needs to be developed but I sure wouldn't be upset if they took him. Cat looks like a "Beast"...

Marrdro
04-20-2011, 03:44 PM

=Z=

Roddy White and a rookie QB made it work with Musgrave calling the offense. No reason why Rice can't be even better.
I am 100% convinced that Rice will be a Pat next year. Still, I'm carrying him on the roster until I know for sure.

12purplepride28
04-20-2011, 03:54 PM
BB. Don't you worry about the rook out there in place of a vet? I like to have vet WR's when you have rook QB's not rooks on each end of the ball.

I'd much rather have two rooks at qb and receiver when my other option is berrian. It's important for our qb to develop chemistry with his receivers, and it's even better if they start off so early and will have their whole career to work together. IMHO thats better than the alternative of having him develop some chemistry with a guy who can't catch a cold and is always injured. Berrian wouldn't provide any "veteran knowledge" or anything like that to our team. I would love a young corp of WRs in Harvin, Rice, and a rook. That would be incredible paired with a promising rookie qb and the best rb in the league.

Marrdro
04-20-2011, 04:04 PM

I'd much rather have two rooks at qb and receiver when my other option is berrian. It's important for our qb to develop chemistry with his receivers, and it's even better if they start off so early and will have their whole career to work together. IMHO thats better than the alternative of having him develop some chemistry with a guy who can't catch a cold and is always injured. Berrian wouldn't provide any "veteran knowledge" or anything like that to our team. I would love a young corp of WRs in Harvin, Rice, and a rook. That would be incredible paired with a promising rookie qb and the best rb in the league.
I, for one don't dwell on what he is getting paid vice his production. I just know that know one was beeeeyyyatching about BB in 2008 when he had almost 1000 yards.

In 2009 his numbers were off, however, Rice was the favorite target and BB was at/or about the same when it came to yards with what you see other teams/players having when the QB spreads the ball around. 2010, well, not gonna go there, but everyones production went way down.

Again, if we get a Kolb or another cat who can run the offense, BB will be just as productive as we need him to be.

skum
04-20-2011, 04:05 PM
I think Guion can end up grabbing the DT spot, he has shown nice flash in the past and will definatly be on the running for a starting spot, should we end up actually having a training camp..

Marrdro
04-20-2011, 04:09 PM
I think Guion can end up grabbing the DT spot, he has shown nice flash in the past and will definatly be on the running for a starting spot, should we end up actually having a training camp..
I like the kid, alot. Hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't see him in the Phat Pat mold.

The times I watched him in the 1 tech/shaded off the Center, he couldn't get through the doubles. He did fine when singled though when K-dubb was in Phat Pats spot.

singersp
04-23-2011, 06:31 PM

=Z=

I think Rice will be gone, but hope not. Zygi & co. screwed the pooch by not getting him locked up with a contract extension prior to the end of last season,, as well as a few others.

gregair13
04-24-2011, 08:42 AM
None of the above because there will not be footballl

Purple Floyd
04-24-2011, 02:22 PM
As far as I am concerned Rice screwed himself and while I like him and like having him on the team he is a walking MASH unit and I would not pay him top dollar to stay.

I want to see the roster get very young and built on a new core even if it means trading some of our top players to get extra picks and added depth.

If we only try to plug holes we aren't going to go anywhere for many years.

Marrdro
04-25-2011, 03:33 PM
I think Rice will be gone, but hope not. Zygi & co. screwed the pooch by not getting him locked up with a contract extension prior to the end of last season,, as well as a few others.
When was the last time I told you that you were wise beyond your years my friend? :laugh:

The FO pukes should have inked more than just Rice last year, by the by.

ThorSPL
04-26-2011, 03:07 AM
While you went with a more realistic one, I'll go in the direction that I would like to see us take. I know that the coaching staff wants to ease harvins burden and focus on him more on offense, even though I would be fine with him splitting reps at KR with Julio once we draft him. I would love to get mallett but I don't think he'll fall in the second and I don't think we have the ammo to trade up to get him or locker, so Stanzi is our consolation prize after trading up into the 3rd round (somehow). Tahi has to go and D'imperio is a cool last name, so i'd like him in there. I think if we can get sid back and draft julio, we will have a top WR corp in the league which will help ease a new qb into the nfl. I would love for us to draft alex henerey, loved him at NE (go huskers!) and I would love him in purple and gold. I think that we will keep kluwe on even though henery can punt as well as kick. Leber won't resign and neither will fatty patty, so Erin henderson or brinkley will take over for him. I don't know if I we would ever move antoine to safety, but it's a possibility. I would be fine if we kept asher as our 4th cb and put antoine in as the 3rd and started abdullah and sanford at SS and FS. I like cam as a 4th receiver and PR, and hope he stays on and we kick berrian and madieu to the curb. Well its 12:20 and thats my wish list for next years team.

Kicker: Alex Henery Wow, calling on the Husker huh???

12purplepride28
04-26-2011, 05:15 AM

Kicker: Alex Henery Wow, calling on the Husker huh???

Definitely. Love the kid kicking for nebraska and we need a fresh young leg at the K position.

purplepat
05-01-2011, 12:51 PM
I saw this somewhere else and thought it would be a little fun thing to do (not much else going on anyway).

It could be interesting to see what everyone thinks and it might give us a little overview on the Vikings' situation. Also, mucho respect will be given to the man who predicts the right starters at the opening of the regular season. :)

Copy and paste the text underneath and fill in the names you realistically believe should be the Minnesota Vikings starting players by (hopefully) the opening of the 2011 NFL regular season!

Quarterback:
Halfback:
Fullback:
Wide Receiver 1:
Wide Receiver 2:
Wide Receiver 3:
Tight End:
Left Offensive Tackle:
Left Guard:
Center:
Right Guard:
Right Offensive Tackle:
Left Defensive End:
Defensive Tackle 1:
Defensive Tackle 2:
Right Defensive End:
Left Outside Linebacker:
Middle Linebacker:
Cornerback 1:
Cornerback 2:
Cornerback 3:
Strong Safety:
Free Safety:
Kicker:
Punter:
Kick Returner:
Punt Returner:

Quarterback: Christian Ponder
Fullback: Jeff Dugan
Wide Receiver 3: Greg Camarillo
Defensive Tackle 1: Pat Williams
Defensive Tackle 2: Kevin Williams
Left Outside Linebacker: Chad Greenway
Right Outside Linebacker: Ben Leber
Cornerback 1: Antoine Winfield
Cornerback 2: Cedric Griffin
Strong Safety: Jamarca Sanford
Punt Returner: Joe Webb

A few notes:

Haven't looked at the possibility of the Vikings signing any starting caliber free agents other than their own. I think Sidney Rice is a priority, though I guess Vincent Jackson might do as well. As a run stuffer, I still think Fat Pat has another season left in him (esp. if he only has to play in 12 games). If they don't bring Pat back, I think Kennedy and Guion will still be able to man the fort without a horrible drop in the run D. I haven't seen any signs that Erin H or any other OLB on the roster is ready to start; resigning Leber on the cheap (at his age, should be possible) might be the Vikes best option unless a better FA can be signed.

Center is one position that should be looked at closely in FA. I don't think the draft helped the Vikes all that much (at least for this season). If a top level guy can be had, go for him.

I think Berrian and M. Williams haven't earned their deals and should be cost cutting moves. Could Webb be the #3 WR this year, or will the Vikes develop him as their backup? And if the Vikes bring in a vet QB to either start or tutor Ponder, is Webb the #3 or will it be Bomar? Somehow, we need to get Webb's athleticism on the field. Why not returning punts or kickoffs?

Hard to know how/where Chris Cook will fit in until he can stay healthy for more than a few games at a time.

Marrdro
05-01-2011, 01:01 PM

Quarterback:
Halfback:
Fullback:
Wide Receiver 1:
Wide Receiver 2:
Wide Receiver 3:
Tight End:
Left Offensive Tackle:
Left Guard:
Center:
Right Guard:
Right Offensive Tackle:
Left Defensive End:
Defensive Tackle 1:
Defensive Tackle 2:
Right Defensive End:
Left Outside Linebacker:
Middle Linebacker:
Cornerback 1:
Cornerback 2:
Cornerback 3:
Strong Safety:
Free Safety:
Kicker:
Punter:
Kick Returner:
Punt Returner:

Fullback: Jeff Dugan
Wide Receiver 3: Greg Camarillo
Defensive Tackle 1: Pat Williams
Defensive Tackle 2: Kevin Williams
Left Outside Linebacker: Chad Greenway
Right Outside Linebacker: Ben Leber
Cornerback 1: Antoine Winfield
Cornerback 2: Cedric Griffin
Strong Safety: Jamarca Sanford
Punt Returner: Joe Webb

A few notes:

Haven't looked at the possibility of the Vikings signing any starting caliber free agents other than their own. I think Sidney Rice is a priority, though I guess Vincent Jackson might do as well. As a run stuffer, I still think Fat Pat has another season left in him (esp. if he only has to play in 12 games). If they don't bring Pat back, I think Kennedy and Guion will still be able to man the fort without a horrible drop in the run D. I haven't seen any signs that Erin H or any other OLB on the roster is ready to start; resigning Leber on the cheap (at his age, should be possible) might be the Vikes best option unless a better FA can be signed.

Center is one position that should be looked at closely in FA. I don't think the draft helped the Vikes all that much (at least for this season). If a top level guy can be had, go for him.

I think Berrian and M. Williams haven't earned their deals and should be cost cutting moves. Could Webb be the #3 WR this year, or will the Vikes develop him as their backup? And if the Vikes bring in a vet QB to either start or tutor Ponder, is Webb the #3 or will it be Bomar? Somehow, we need to get Webb's athleticism on the field. Why not returning punts or kickoffs?

Hard to know how/where Chris Cook will fit in until he can stay healthy for more than a few games at a time.
Nice my friend. Couple of comments.

A. Gonna cost a bunch to resign some guys this year. I think that means Shortwell and Leber might not be back. Phat Pat as well unless he is willing to accept a limited role (less reps). What does that mean.

1. Phat Pat - Swap him out for Guion.
2. Leber - Swap him out for Jasper or one of the cats drafted yesterday.
3. Shortwell - I think he is going to get outpriced. Swap him out for someone else.
4. Not sold on Sully. He is a ZBng Center. Add to that the addition of the Lions addition at UT and we have problems. Sure we can move the pocket and the QB, but you should really fix that area. Maybe Fusco is that answer, or possibly, even Cook.

Again, very nice though.

HEY
05-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Looks like the Vikings ignored our poll and selected a QB in the first round after-all. :lol:

Here's my change to who I hope and believe will be the Vikings starters now that the draft is over:

He is the one rookie QB that can be a starter right away.

Fullback: Ryan D’Imperio
Wide Receiver 2: Greg Camarillo