PDA

View Full Version : Adrian Peterson compares NFL to modern-day slavery

Purple Floyd
03-16-2011, 12:58 AM
http://www.twincities.com/ci_17619356?nclick_check=1

Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson compared NFL owners' treatment of players to "modern-day slavery," according to an online interview published today by Yahoo! Sports.

Nice...

Purple Floyd
03-16-2011, 01:00 AM
When discussing other players feeling the same way, Peterson said: "It's modern-day slavery, you know? People kind of laugh at that, but there are people working at regular jobs who get treated the same way, too. With all the money. ... The owners are trying to get a different percentage, and bring in more money.

There is your economic lesson for the day boys and girls....

Randy Moss
03-16-2011, 01:13 AM
When the slave owners what more than a 50% share of plantation revenue the civil war started. What will happen this time?

Purple Floyd
03-16-2011, 01:18 AM
Huh?

i_bleed_purple
03-16-2011, 02:04 AM
Frustration with the current situation, added to the fact that AP doesn't come across as an exceptionally well-educated person, he'll say things that are not that well worded.

Brewtal
03-16-2011, 02:39 AM
Once again Vikings make headlines.

singersp
03-16-2011, 03:32 AM

And not in a positive light.

I can understand not taking a pay cut, but not wanting a bigger piece of the pie just because the owners are making more.

My employer made twice as much last year as he did the year before. 100's of millions more. What do you think he'd say if I wanted him to double my salaries because he made a ton more?

They sign contracts. Live by them. Negotiate when your contract is up or near up.

The owners have contracts with their players. Live by them.

Any cuts that should be made should occur on rookie salaries. They are getting paid way to much for never playing an NFL down & proving themselves at that level.

Players like Jamarcus Russell, etal, shouldn't be walking away from the NFL with 40 mill & doing little for it.

AngloVike
03-16-2011, 10:37 AM

I can understand not taking a pay cut, but not wanting a bigger piece of the pie just because the owners are making more.

My employer made twice as much last year as he did the year before. 100's of millions more. What do you think he'd say if I wanted him to double my salaries because he made a ton more?

They sign contracts. Live by them. Negotiate when your contract is up or near up.

Any cuts that should be made should occur on rookie salaries. They are getting paid way to much for never playing an NFL down & proving themselves at that level.

Players like Jamarcus Russell, etal, shouldn't be walking away from the NFL with 40 mill & doing little for it.

+1

Randy Moss
03-16-2011, 12:34 PM

The contract expired because the owners opted out of it. Now they are negotiating. Also, what happens at your job is irrelevant because you are replaceable. The company can go on without you, but there wouldn't be a real NFL without the players.

swardsooner
03-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Huge AD fan here.

Pipe down Adrian.

BadlandsVikings
03-16-2011, 01:21 PM
I didn't know the slaves were millionares and drove expensive horse and buggies

marshallvike
03-16-2011, 02:29 PM

Isn't it the other way around? I didn't think the players were asking for a bigger cut. I thought the owners were making more AND wanted to keep a larger percentage of the pie before the players got their cut.

I think everyone is in agreement on a rookie salary structure. Owners and players alike. There is a set amount of money going to the players and that gives an added benefit of more money for the veterans that have proven themselves.

Owners do not live up to their end of the contracts. They sign the contracts also. Live up to it and pay the player the full contract if you cut them or shut up when the players want to renegotiate. If the owners have no desire to live up to the contracts, the players should not be expected to either.

Bkfldviking
03-16-2011, 02:51 PM

The contract expired because the owners opted out of it. Now they are negotiating. Also, what happens at your job is irrelevant because you are replaceable. The company can go on without you, but there wouldn't be a real NFL without the players.

Kind of an elitist view. It has been my experience that if you get twenty guys together on an open space sooner or later a football game will break out. Now you won't always have glitzy commercials, sexy cheerleaders or self grandizing commentators but you know what? It's still fun to watch.

i_bleed_purple
03-16-2011, 02:56 PM

Kind of an elitist view. It has been my experience that if you get twenty guys together on an open space sooner or later a football game will break out. Now you won't always have glitzy commercials, sexy cheerleaders or self grandizing commentators but you know what? It's still fun to watch.

Then watch the Arena League?

what, you don't want to do that? Why not, is it not as fun?
I'd rather watch the best players in the world go at it than some dude who lives down the street.

There's a reason nobody cares about minor or developmental leagues. The only one that seems to have any sort of following other than hometown fans is the NCAA, and that's mainly just football and Basketball in march (who actually watches NCAAB during the regular season?)

Mr Anderson
03-16-2011, 03:24 PM
To be fair, you'd be hard pressed to find a job in America closer to slavery than NFL players, and pay has nothing to do with this comparison.

Players don't choose where they go, they're drafted and stuck in a city they might not have wanted to go to. When they're drafted a team owns their rights. If they don't sign or somehow force a trade they're out of football for a year, at least(EDIT: if they don't sign I mean, not if they force a trade, then they can still play.). They can be traded or cut at any time and have no say in it. And depending on when they're cut, they may have no choice in where they're going(waivers.)

I'm not saying it's a fair comparison, or in any way suggesting that the NFL's somewhat unfair system of contracts is at all as morally reprehensible as abducting and forcing a human being into labor, but there are similarities and as I said before, you'd be hard pressed to find an employer-employee relationship closer to slavery.

dfosterf
03-16-2011, 03:30 PM
Hit the painted yellow footprints at Parris Island, S.C. and get back to us on that one. :P

Bkfldviking
03-16-2011, 03:58 PM
Hit the painted yellow footprints at Parris Island, S.C. and get back to us on that one. :P

+1

slavinator
03-16-2011, 03:59 PM
If we are advocating fairness in the work place we should probably closer examine Sweat Shop labor by children in other countries where they earn pennies a day, or the immigrant workers in places like AZ who earn $6/hour doing hard labor in the heat. These are more akin to slavery to me. A guy who knows how to read, and break a defense as their skillset earning millions from the team, and endorsements just doesn't fit that bill.

I am all for the players and owners trying to hash out a deal that gives them a little more income, but they need to reach an agreement sooner than later. I think that if we lose games next year over this quibbling, the games popularity will be jeopardized. We probably wont see the mass exodus that occurred with baseball or hockey, but the leagues popularity will and has already taken a hit due to the lockout IMO.

I think that his statement was out of frustration and not well thought out. Having said that, he is still one hell of a running back, which is why I watch him, not because he is eloquent and well versed.

Caine
03-16-2011, 04:25 PM
To be fair, you'd be hard pressed to find a job in America closer to slavery than NFL players, and pay has nothing to do with this comparison.

Players don't choose where they go, they're drafted and stuck in a city they might not have wanted to go to. When they're drafted a team owns their rights. If they don't sign or somehow force a trade they're out of football for a year, at least. They can be traded or cut at any time and have no say in it. And depending on when they're cut, they may have no choice in where they're going(waivers.)

I'm not saying it's a fair comparison, or in any way suggesting that the NFL's somewhat unfair system of contracts is at all as morally reprehensible as abducting and forcing a human being into labor, but there are similarities and as I said before, you'd be hard pressed to find an employer-employee relationship closer to slavery.

1: Without even trying very hard I can come up with quite a few jobs far closer to slavery :

Prostitute
Illegal Migrant Worker
Textile/Clothing worker

Essentially, any "job" in which one group is being VICTIMIZED by another - and this is most often seen in the cases of illegal immigrants.

2: NFL players are compensated OVERWHELMINGLY to "leave their homes". Don't want to play football in San Diego? THEN DON'T PLAY FOOTBALL!!!!

It is NOT a RIGHT, it is a PRIVILEGE!!!!

3: There is NO basis for comparison between SLAVERY and the NFL....NONE! Next we'll be calling them Nazis...after all, they both wear uniforms!!!

4: This is a case of greedy people on BOTH sides wanting more. They're going to kill the golden goose while fighting over the eggs.

At the end of the day, WE - the FANS - are the ONLY losers. We will now be forced to spend MORE MONEY so that millionaires and billionaires can each feel that they're adequately compensated for PLAYING A FUCKING GAME!!!!!

And I don't give a rip how good you are at that fucking game, if you're crying about your multi-million dollar contract, I can name a dozen careers off the top of my head that deserve the money more than your overpaid ass does.

So quit with the, "I'm just trying to feed my family" bullshit. Quit with the "We just want our fair share" bullshit.

It just makes me sick.

Caine

Caine
03-16-2011, 04:27 PM

Mine were in San Diego, CA. Good enough?

Caine

dfosterf
03-16-2011, 04:47 PM

Mine were in San Diego, CA. Good enough?

Caine

I'll absolutely hold in reserve any "Hollywood Marine" wise-crack for another day.

I'm quite sure you habla'd my point. B)

Semper Fi.

Mr Anderson
03-16-2011, 05:04 PM

Players don't choose where they go, they're drafted and stuck in a city they might not have wanted to go to. When they're drafted a team owns their rights. If they don't sign or somehow force a trade they're out of football for a year, at least. They can be traded or cut at any time and have no say in it. And depending on when they're cut, they may have no choice in where they're going(waivers.)

1: Without even trying very hard I can come up with quite a few jobs far closer to slavery :

Prostitute
Illegal Migrant Worker
Textile/Clothing worker

Essentially, any "job" in which one group is being VICTIMIZED by another - and this is most often seen in the cases of illegal immigrants.

2: NFL players are compensated OVERWHELMINGLY to "leave their homes". Don't want to play football in San Diego? THEN DON'T PLAY FOOTBALL!!!!

3: There is NO basis for comparison between SLAVERY and the NFL....NONE! Next we'll be calling them Nazis...after all, they both wear uniforms!!!

4: This is a case of greedy people on BOTH sides wanting more. They're going to kill the golden goose while fighting over the eggs.

At the end of the day, WE - the FANS - are the ONLY losers. We will now be forced to spend MORE MONEY so that millionaires and billionaires can each feel that they're adequately compensated for PLAYING A FUCKING GAME!!!!!

And I don't give a rip how good you are at that fucking game, if you're crying about your multi-million dollar contract, I can name a dozen careers off the top of my head that deserve the money more than your overpaid ass does.

So quit with the, "I'm just trying to feed my family" bullshit. Quit with the "We just want our fair share" bullshit.

It just makes me sick.

Caine
1) Illegal. You can't expect to be treated fairly.
2) Illegal. ^^
3) Debatable in the sense of work:pay ratio, but it's probably not worth it.

As far as the military comparison goes, that's fair, but I was thinking more along the lines of private businesses, not so much government, since the government itself didn't own slaves.

Just the idea of owning a person's rights trading them from franchise to franchise makes the comparison somewhat valid. Again, I reiterate, I don't think that makes it right, or fair, but it's conceivable.

I don't have much of a problem with the players dispute. I'd rather see millionaires maintain their wealth than billionaires get richer. Especially when one is rich for risking his neck playing a dangerous game at the highest possible level, while the owner is running a business from behind a desk especially when some of these guys inherited teams/ownership. I don't care if they change the system at the highest level of player compensation, so long as they don't take money away from the guys on the practice squads. As far as I know they make about $80-90,000 per season, unless they signed a contract and were demoted to the practice squad. Which is still a very good living, but when the dispute is about millions or billions, the guys who are making less than $100k shouldn't be punished.

Freakout
03-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Well now we know why he cannot learn to block.

Purple Floyd
03-16-2011, 05:22 PM

Prostitute
Illegal Migrant Worker
Textile/Clothing worker

It just makes me sick.

Caine
2) Illegal. ^^

As far as the military comparison goes, that's fair, but I was thinking more along the lines of private businesses, not so much government, since the government itself didn't own slaves.

Just the idea of owning a person's rights trading them from franchise to franchise makes the comparison somewhat valid. Again, I reiterate, I don't think that makes it right, or fair, but it's conceivable.

I don't have much of a problem with the players dispute. I'd rather see millionaires maintain their wealth than billionaires get richer. Especially when one is rich for risking his neck playing a dangerous game at the highest possible level, while the owner is running a business from behind a desk especially when some of these guys inherited teams/ownership. I don't care if they change the system at the highest level of player compensation, so long as they don't take money away from the guys on the practice squads. As far as I know they make about $80-90,000 per season, unless they signed a contract and were demoted to the practice squad. Which is still a very good living, but when the dispute is about millions or billions, the guys who are making less than $100k shouldn't be punished.

To me it is a very big leap to make that comparison.

First off while the owners might own the rights to your services in regards to playing in their league, you have the right to play in any other league you so choose. An example is the USFL when it came out. Players were free to play in either league. The NFL is a monopoly and that situation gives them leverage and power that I would like to see challenged for sure but then again the players are compensated at a rate so far above what the average american gets that it is hard for me to look at the two in the same light.

BadlandsVikings
03-16-2011, 05:33 PM
Now we really know why Fat Ass McKinnie is so slow. The Wilfs needed a new plow horse in the field so they drafted him

Caine
03-16-2011, 05:34 PM

Prostitute
Illegal Migrant Worker
Textile/Clothing worker

It just makes me sick.

Caine
2) Illegal. ^^

Because it's "illegal", we get to suspend the notion of "rights"....right?

Wrong.

Those three offerings were off the top of my head. If you want me to take a few hours and research this more in depth, I'm sure I can list a couple dozen more...many of which won't be illegal.

Truth is, almost EVERY job out there has more in line with Slavery than the NFL players. And the fact is that the lower paying that job is, the more like slavery it becomes.

I didn't make the Military comparison - but even that is more accurate. Once you sign on the dotted line, you have ZERO rights. Getting a tattoo can buy you non-judicial punishment for (I kid you not) "Destruction of Government Property"...

You ARE Government Property.

There is no better slavery comparison than that.

These people CHOSE to waive those rights. they weren't forcefully suspended. I don't recall hearing about too many prospective slaves being told by Dutch traders, "Hey, we'll take you and your friends to America, and you can work on huge plantations...or you can stay here in the jungle". They were, most often, sold by the tribe that had just kicked their ass so they wouldn't "return the favor" some day.

When a player chooses to waive his right to negotiate with all franchises in order to enter the world of the NFL, he does so KNOWING that a very large pay day is on the horizon. He waives his rights to choose where he will live, because someone is offering him a LOT of money to do so.

Then they have the GALL to start whining because their pay day isn't big enough?

Here's a pay scale that should piss you off: http://www.militaryfactory.com/military_pay_scale.asp

A college degree will make you a 2nd Lieutenant. A boot 2nd Lt makes $2784.00 per month - that's about $33,408.00 per year.

Practice squad money looks pretty good right about now, huh?

And far more 2nd Lt's run the risk of being KILLED than NFL rookies.

No one is talking about punishing the practice squad guys. We're talking about comparing the NFL to slavery...and it's entirely inappropriate.

Again, this all comes back to greed. Owners and players are salivating over the money that WE are paying to watch this GAME.

A handful of people are walking away filthy rich, so we can fill our Sunday afternoons.

Then Adrian Peterson wants to try and sensationalize the issue by comparing it to an institution that oppressed and diminished GENERATIONS, for the gain of a few?

Sorry, Adrian. Those "oppressors" have already rewarded YOU with more money than I will make in a lifetime. I'm really having a hard time feeling any kind of sympathy.

Want to REALLY shake things up? Let's get the FANS to demand that the NFL kick back 2 billion dollars a year to US!!! Hell, it's OUR money anyway!!! Then teh rich fuckers on BOTH sides can start crying about who's going to take the cuts...

...kind of like WE all did in this shitty economy.

Caine

Mr Anderson
03-16-2011, 05:48 PM

Prostitute
Illegal Migrant Worker
Textile/Clothing worker

It just makes me sick.

Caine
2) Illegal. ^^

First off while the owners might own the rights to your services in regards to playing in their league, you have the right to play in any other league you so choose. An example is the USFL when it came out. Players were free to play in either league. The NFL is a monopoly and that situation gives them leverage and power that I would like to see challenged for sure but then again the players are compensated at a rate so far above what the average american gets that it is hard for me to look at the two in the same light.
Did I not say, more than once, that I don't think it's a fair comparison? All I said is that it was conceivable comparison, kind of like saying ants are like humans because they have legs and brains.

I'm not trying to debate this, I gave my $.02 and I'm done.

What Peterson said was stupid, but I can see how an unintelligent person with knowledge of the NFL system would come up with that statement. Honestly, I don't care if he made that comparison, he's a great player and a good person and I'm happy to have him as a Viking, whether or not he makes one stupid comment every 4 years.

Yay Peterson! Boo slavery!

Purple Floyd
03-16-2011, 05:55 PM

Prostitute
Illegal Migrant Worker
Textile/Clothing worker

It just makes me sick.

Caine
2) Illegal. ^^

Did I not say, more than once, that I don't think it's a fair comparison? All I said is that it was conceivable comparison, kind of like saying ants are like humans because they have legs and brains.

What Peterson said was stupid, but I can see how an unintelligent person with knowledge of the NFL system would come up with that statement. Honestly, I don't care if he made that comparison, he's a great player and a good person and I'm happy to have him as a Viking, whether or not he makes one stupid comment every 4 years.

Point taken.

Can we move on to discussing what type of offense we should build around him?:laugh:

dfosterf
03-16-2011, 06:04 PM
...from the other thread...

The PPO.

patched pothole offense.

:laugh:

jmcdon00
03-16-2011, 06:05 PM

Prostitute
Illegal Migrant Worker
Textile/Clothing worker

It just makes me sick.

Caine
2) Illegal. ^^

Point taken.

Can we move on to discussing what type of offense we should build around him?:laugh:
We should totally build a kick ass offense around him!

i_bleed_purple
03-16-2011, 06:38 PM
If we are advocating fairness in the work place we should probably closer examine Sweat Shop labor by children in other countries where they earn pennies a day

Ok, I'll play.

sweat shop workers in China or other developing countries make well more than the average income in that country.

Realize a few things, the cost of living in places like that is incredibly low(unless you live in Hong Kong or Shanghai or other places like that).
You can easily travel to parts of China and live there off mere dollars a day.

Moreso, without the big companies "exploiting" these people, most of them would be jobless, making even less money than they do. There is absolutely nobody stopping them from getting an education and a real job like we do here. However, different economic situations allow for different things. It's no different than some guy not being able to afford to go to university, therefore not getting an education and finding some job here that only pays $10,000.

Or a 12 year old kid getting a job at his uncle's business, being paid less than minimum wage in cash. That's a way of exploiting employees, but nobody seems to care here.

A few fun facts for you:

Average unemployment in developing countries like that is usually over 40%
In Indonesia, Nike was paying employees of their sweat shops $2.28 per day on average.
[That number seems low, but think about all the farmers who make significantly less than that.]
The average worker in one of Nike's Chinese factories is paid more than a professor at Beijing University
In Bangladesh, sweatshop employees were making usually between $40 and $55 a month. Compare that to the national per-capita income of about $200 per year(Men usually make about $360)

taken from: "Case Studies in Business Ethics" Fifth Edition, Al Gini

jmcdon00
03-16-2011, 06:47 PM
If we are advocating fairness in the work place we should probably closer examine Sweat Shop labor by children in other countries where they earn pennies a day

Ok, I'll play.

sweat shop workers in China or other developing countries make well more than the average income in that country.

Realize a few things, the cost of living in places like that is incredibly low(unless you live in Hong Kong or Shanghai or other places like that).

Moreso, without the big companies "exploiting" these people, most of them would be jobless, making even less money than they do. There is absolutely nobody stopping them from getting an education and a real job like we do here. However, different economic situations allow for different things. It's no different than some guy not being able to afford to go to university, therefore not getting an education and finding some job here that only pays $10,000.

Or a 12 year old kid getting a job at his uncle's business, being paid less than minimum wage in cash. That's a way of exploiting employees, but nobody seems to care here.

A few fun facts for you:

In Indonesia, Nike was paying employees of their sweat shops $2.28 per day on average.
[That number seems low, but think about all the farmers who make significantly less than that.]
The average worker in one of Nike's Chinese factories is paid more than a professor at Beijing University
In Bangladesh, sweatshop employees were making usually between $40 and $55 a month. Compare that to the national per-capita income of about $200 per year(Men usually make about $360)

http://culturejam2009.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/slaverynike1.jpg

Caine
03-16-2011, 07:42 PM

Ok, I'll play.

A few fun facts for you:

The irony here is that those companies that exploit those labor pools - and make no mistake, it IS exploitation - do not lower their prices accordingly over HERE...they simply maximize their PROFITS.

So, despite the alleged good it does those regions, those companies are still wrong.

Further, the working conditions in China and other places are reportedly atrocious. The difference being that those people have no CHOICE.

NFL players have a choice...and none of them involve sweat shops in Indonesia.

Caine

slavinator
03-16-2011, 09:51 PM

Ok, I'll play.

A few fun facts for you:

The irony here is that those companies that exploit those labor pools - and make no mistake, it IS exploitation - do not lower their prices accordingly over HERE...they simply maximize their PROFITS.

So, despite the alleged good it does those regions, those companies are still wrong.

Further, the working conditions in China and other places are reportedly atrocious. The difference being that those people have no CHOICE.

NFL players have a choice...and none of them involve sweat shops in Indonesia.

Caine

IBP-This is still a human rights issue. Exploiting others especially children under the auspice of a better way of life is the same bill of goods that oppressed people have been swallowing for years. No matter what its not right.

If we look at the Nike model whereby they use child labor or at least did, they still sell $125 sneakers when their labor costs are far lower than the 50-60% of revenue equation going on in the NFL.

I do not proclaim to have the answers to the lockout or the various human rights atrocities that happen everyday; but a guy earning millions per year should not liken his profession to slavery.

I get your point but disagree respectfully.

MaxVike
03-17-2011, 06:55 AM
Stupid comment from a great player about to make $10,000,000 large. I love AD, but, dude, shut the fuck up.

Marrdro
03-17-2011, 01:34 PM
Frustration with the current situation, added to the fact that AP doesn't come across as an exceptionally well-educated person, he'll say things that are not that well worded.
Unlike AD........

Adequately articulated my friend.

Purple Floyd
03-17-2011, 01:39 PM
Kinda goes with the saying" Better to remain quiet ant others think you are a dumbass than to open it and remove all doubt"

Caine
03-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Unlike AD........

And what a testimony that is to the quality of our educational system that a man with 3 YEARS of College under his belt is classed as being not "exceptionally well educated"....

Why does the NCAA even pretend it isn't the NFL's bitch minor league?

Caine

ejmat
03-17-2011, 01:43 PM
I didn't know the slaves were millionares and drove expensive horse and buggies
Exactly! I would like to see Adrian show me one "slave" that made multi-million dollars every year.

Marrdro
03-17-2011, 01:58 PM
Unlike AD........

And what a testimony that is to the quality of our educational system that a man with 3 YEARS of College under his belt is classed as being not "exceptionally well educated"....

Caine
Don't think I've ever had back to back ...........

Adequately articulated my friend......Posts, but there it is.....;)

Marrdro
03-17-2011, 01:59 PM
Kinda goes with the saying" Better to remain quiet ant others think you are a dumbass than to open it and remove all doubt"
LOL, I wouldn't be able to post if I took that tact.......:laugh:

AngloVike
03-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Unlike AD........

Caine
on that point, do these guys actually leave college with educational degrees at all or are they purely there for their football talent? asking as I'm not familiar with the US college system

jmcdon00
03-17-2011, 08:33 PM
Unlike AD........

Caine
on that point, do these guys actually leave college with educational degrees at all or are they purely there for their football talent? asking as I'm not familiar with the US college system
Some graduate some don't. Can't find the percentage, but If I were to guess I would say more than half of NFL players have a degree.
Many of them do take slacker classes, especially in there senior year. I believe it was Matt Leinart whose only class his senior year was ballroom dancing!(don't quote me on that).

Seriously though, one stupid comment doesn't make someone stupid, being from Texas does though. :ohmy:

Caine
03-18-2011, 12:26 AM
Unlike AD........

Caine
Some graduate some don't. Can't find the percentage, but If I were to guess I would say more than half of NFL players have a degree.
Many of them do take slacker classes, especially in there senior year. I believe it was Matt Leinart whose only class his senior year was ballroom dancing!(don't quote me on that).

Seriously though, one stupid comment doesn't make someone stupid, being from Texas does though. :ohmy:

Adding to that:

Many of the elite Athletes - in football and basketball - merely use college as a vehicle to get them to the pro's. It's a poorly kept secret.

Once in awhile you get a guy who actually applies himself academically and achieves something worthwhile (Like Robert Smith did), but usually it's just a sham.

And the worst part is that these guys get a free ride to college...then waste the opportunity.

That's another reason I feel so little sympathy for these guys. Economically, they had the means to have a leg up on everyone else by getting a college education FOR FREE...

Caine

AngloVike
03-18-2011, 12:45 PM
ok that clarifies it a little, so means if they don't make the grade at pro level or finish early due to injury etc then they have nothing to fall back on to make their way forward in the real world then?
That explains why so many end up with no money as they have no concept of a world outside their own little bubble then.

Marrdro
03-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Unlike AD........

Caine
You don't need a degree if your playing the game cause you love it...........:laugh:

Caine
03-18-2011, 03:37 PM
ok that clarifies it a little, so means if they don't make the grade at pro level or finish early due to injury etc then they have nothing to fall back on to make their way forward in the real world then?
That explains why so many end up with no money as they have no concept of a world outside their own little bubble then.

It gets even messier than that....

I don't know if soccer (like I'm going to fall it football....right) players in the UK are treated like they crap gold while they're still in school, but elite athletes in the States are coddled. The rules that the rest of society has to live by are tossed out the window for them.

They coast through high school because every coach, administrator, and counselor knows that elite athletes = championships. Championships = revenue and increased enrollment.

Then they get courted - LITERALLY courted - by the elite colleges in the country. The same schools that NORMAL kids have to bust ass to get into...except the normal kids pay through the nose - or their parents do.

Meanwhile, these barely literate athletes are given full ride scholarships. That covers ALL of their expenses - including living quarters and food. They pay NOTHING.

Then, many of them waste their opportunity - because, as I stated before, many of them aren't really academically prepared to take college level courses - and focus almost entirely upon athletics...which may or may not pan out for them.

Either way, in most cases, it isn't the degree their after...it's the pay day.

Then comes the draft...and god help them if they don't get selected. Now they have a partial college experoience which qualifies them to be a bagger at a grocery store, and no real prospects because they weren't good enough athletically.

MEANWHILE, the regular kids, the ones who WERE prepared academically, can't get into school because they can't afford it.

And that's just a quick summary....

Caine

Marrdro
03-18-2011, 04:19 PM

I don't know if soccer (like I'm going to fall it football....right) players in the UK are treated like they crap gold while they're still in school, but elite athletes in the States are coddled. The rules that the rest of society has to live by are tossed out the window for them.

They coast through high school because every coach, administrator, and counselor knows that elite athletes = championships. Championships = revenue and increased enrollment.

Then they get courted - LITERALLY courted - by the elite colleges in the country. The same schools that NORMAL kids have to bust ass to get into...except the normal kids pay through the nose - or their parents do.

Meanwhile, these barely literate athletes are given full ride scholarships. That covers ALL of their expenses - including living quarters and food. They pay NOTHING.

Then, many of them waste their opportunity - because, as I stated before, many of them aren't really academically prepared to take college level courses - and focus almost entirely upon athletics...which may or may not pan out for them.

Then comes the draft...and god help them if they don't get selected. Now they have a partial college experoience which qualifies them to be a bagger at a grocery store, and no real prospects because they weren't good enough athletically.

MEANWHILE, the regular kids, the ones who WERE prepared academically, can't get into school because they can't afford it.

Caine
That might have been a quick one, but it sure was one hell of a good one. ;)

marshallvike
03-18-2011, 05:08 PM

Caine

If you are referring to thhe very elite athletes, I can buy some of it. If you are talking about athletes in general, I call bullshit.

Caine
03-18-2011, 07:04 PM

Caine

If you are referring to thhe very elite athletes, I can buy some of it. If you are talking about athletes in general, I call bullshit.

The elite athletes at almost EVERY level get this treatment. It typically begins in Middle school, and continues on until they stop being "elite".

Obviously, not every elite High School athlete will also be an elite College athlete....when they fail to rise to the top, they suddenly cease being preferentially treated...then they get a bad case of the Al Bundy syndrome where they return to the scene of their last great success and spend the rest of their life playing, "Remember when?" because they were completely unprepared to face the REAL life that the rest of us have.

Caine

vikinggreg
03-18-2011, 07:33 PM

Caine

The elite athletes at almost EVERY level get this treatment. It typically begins in Middle school, and continues on until they stop being "elite".

Obviously, not every elite High School athlete will also be an elite College athlete....when they fail to rise to the top, they suddenly cease being preferentially treated...then they get a bad case of the Al Bundy syndrome where they return to the scene of their last great success and spend the rest of their life playing, "Remember when?" because they were completely unprepared to face the REAL life that the rest of us have.

Caine

I prefer to refer to them as glory days with a Bruce Springsteen sound track in the background B)

Now some glory day reminiscing on a Friday afternoon B)

Hit it Bruce

http://www.imusicdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/bruce_springsteen_shirtless.jpg

Aww highschool...football....no wife....no kids.....no spreadsheet or timesheets......cheerleaders.....my Mustang.....rock n roll B)

singersp
03-20-2011, 09:33 PM
Meet Adrian Peterson, modern day slave

He'll make $10.72 million this year as an NFL running back

http://wizbangblog.com/content/2011/03/18/meet-adrian-peterson-modern-day-slave.php

singersp
03-20-2011, 09:36 PM
Meet Adrian Peterson, modern day slave

He'll make $10.72 million this year as an NFL running back

http://wizbangblog.com/content/2011/03/18/meet-adrian-peterson-modern-day-slave.php

Must be a bitch to try & make ends meet on those "slave" wages.

I wonder what "Master" Wilf thinks of his comments

singersp
03-20-2011, 10:06 PM
So then, is this considered the Vikings slave ship?

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3078/2893035292_2b8ebebe23.jpg

How about this one?

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/images/mn/MNEDEviking_gemlo.jpg

i_bleed_purple
03-21-2011, 02:49 AM
Unlike AD........

Caine

Just listen to the guy talk. He seems to struggle putting together sentences. He got into school because he was good at football, and intelligent enough to do ok in high school (Not hard, especially in a state like texas). When you're in college ball, they give you all the resources you can possibly get to make sure you maintain your average and are eligible to play.

There are alot of dumb people out there with college degrees, and then again there are alot of smart ones without. I'm not saying AP's an idiot, and I"m not basing it off that quote either. Just listening to the guy, he doesn't come across as a very good speaker. That's all.

Walter Clock
03-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Someone got brainwashed by a liberal college professor while at Oklahoma.

ultravikingfan
03-23-2011, 02:24 AM

Please read FORUM RULES (http://www.purplepride.org/forum/18-forum-rules/22528-da-rules)

NO POLIITICS

Mr Anderson
03-23-2011, 02:32 AM

Please read FORUM RULES (http://www.purplepride.org/forum/18-forum-rules/22528-da-rules)

NO POLIITICS
You're a real slave driver.

Purple Floyd
03-23-2011, 02:38 AM

NO POLIITICS
You're a real slave driver.

And 1.

Walter Clock
03-23-2011, 02:38 AM

NO POLIITICSLOL, that's where it comes from. Read Marx or watch some youtube videos of Noam Chomsky talking about wage slavery. Peterson made a political statement based on economic ideology.

I'm supposed to pretend it didn't happen? WTF? :laugh:

Mr Anderson
03-23-2011, 02:44 AM

NO POLIITICSLOL, that's where it comes from. Read Marx or watch some youtube videos of Noam Chomsky talking about wage slavery. Peterson made a political statement based on economic ideology.

Now we have a communist and a slave driver in the same conversation. This site needs some real moderation.

ultravikingfan
03-23-2011, 02:49 AM

I do not really care where it came from.

NO POLITICS.

Walter Clock
03-23-2011, 03:02 AM
It's a political statement! WTF! Get rid of the thread then!

Purple Floyd
03-23-2011, 03:06 AM
This whole thread reminds me of a Monty Python bit. ( Actually much of life reminds me of a Python bit come to think of it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS_1bzaj2fw

ultravikingfan
03-23-2011, 03:16 AM
It's a political statement! WTF! Get rid of the thread then!

Dude, chill.

I am just telling you (since you are new) no politics.

End of story.

i_bleed_purple
03-23-2011, 06:15 AM
This whole thread reminds me of a Monty Python bit. ( Actually much of life reminds me of a Python bit come to think of it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS_1bzaj2fw

BAN THIS GUY FOR POLITICAL COMMENTS!!!

j/k

this thread gives me a laugh though.

It's an idiot making a poorly worded statement. No more, no less. No need to get our panties in a wad about it.