PDA

View Full Version : E.J. Jobbed Out Of Comeback Player Of The Year

singersp
02-06-2011, 01:34 PM
E.J. Henderson Officially Jobbed Out Of Comeback Player Of The Year Award

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2011/2/5/1977441/e-j-henderson-officially-jobbed-out-of-comeback-player-of-the-year

Mr Anderson
02-06-2011, 03:56 PM
The point he makes about the award should go to someone who recovered from something out of their control is kind of where I'm at with my take on this award.

Mike Vick and Mike Williams were out of the NFL for their own actions. Vick, everyone knows went to prison for his involvement with the dog fighting operation. Mike Williams ate himself out of the NFL.

Prior to this year, without doing any hard research, it looks like the winner of the AP went to guys who came back from injury every year. Excluding Greg Ellis in 2007, who simply underperformed for a few years and then had a big year. Brady, McGahee, Pennington twice, Tedy Bruschi... guys who came back from real injuries(or worse in Bruschi's case.)

Michael Vick not only created the circumstances he was forced to come back from, but it took him two seasons to come back.

E.J. Henderson coming back from a broken femur is no less amazing than any other injury that a previous winner of the award returned from, Bruschi excluded.

I wouldn't have much of a problem with the award if it went to Welker or Urlacher. I still wouldn't like it, but it would be better than Vick getting it.

Anyone else see that LeGarrette Blount got a vote? He's a rookie. I didn't think they considered your college career for comeback player of the year.

Marrdro
02-06-2011, 03:59 PM
Just another reason to dislike all the "Individual" awards. No matter who gets in/wins, someone isn't gonna like it.

i_bleed_purple
02-06-2011, 05:27 PM
I think people are overreacting a tad bit.

There is no rule that says you can't be coming back from jail and win the award. Vick had an exceptional season, better than EJ did. Yes, he came back from jail, but he's aparantly a different person now. He's convinced Dungy that he's changed, and Dungy seems like a good judge of character.

Thing is, EJ played well, but not exceptional. Yes, coming back from that injury is incredible, as many people thought his career might be done. Vick just simply played better. He "Came Back" from adversity and won. Simple as that. Just because he's not a Viking doesn't make it wrong.

Did EJ deserve to be in the running for the award? Yes. Is it wrong he didn't win it? No.

delviking
02-06-2011, 09:22 PM
EJ deserved it out right, there was plenty of talk about him never playing in the NFL again.
The training staff had to research how to rehab the injury and they couldnt find one player in the NFL, College, CFL, or any other football leagues that had ever had this injury and returned from it, much less in only 8 months.
As much as the training staff setting a presedent (sorry for the spelling) it was Henderson who put in the time, effort, and mental strength to stay in Minn and rehab beyond what the doctors and staff thought possible.
He had a great year 2nd behind Greenway in tackles and tied with AJ Hawk with 3 INTs which lead all linebackers.
He deserved the Comeback player award hands down, not just because he had a good year after injury but because he came back from an injury that most pegged a career ending injury.

kevoncox
02-06-2011, 10:18 PM
I think Mike Williams deserved it.

V1K1NG L3G3ND
02-06-2011, 10:27 PM
EJ should have won, this is bullcrap.

http://min.scout.com/2/1046221.html

jmcdon00
02-06-2011, 11:23 PM
In my opinion the award is more of a "most improved" award. In that sense EJ can't win because he was just as good or nearly as good in 2009.

Vick is the clear winner in my mind. 18 months ago it was questionable wheather any team would take a chance on him. Now he is the face of a franchise.

i_bleed_purple
02-07-2011, 08:29 AM
I think Mike Williams deserved it.

In my opinion the award is more of a "most improved" award. In that sense EJ can't win because he was just as good or nearly as good in 2009.

Vick is the clear winner in my mind. 18 months ago it was questionable wheather any team would take a chance on him. Now he is the face of a franchise.

Both of you are right IMO

Mike Williams had a great year, after being a bum for the past 5.

Howver, for JMC, the award isn't called the "most improved player award" it's comeback player of the year award. Vick had a hell of a season, there's no doubt he deserves recognition for his achievements. he suffered through adversity but he overcame, and became one hell of a QB.

IMO, Comeback player award was an easy award. It's Vick. no doubt. There's nobody who even comes close

battleaxe4cheese
02-09-2011, 12:01 AM
For some reason this society admires comeback criminals more than comeback upstanding citizens. Why?

battleaxe4cheese
02-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Next year Favre will be comeback player of the year.:sick:

i_bleed_purple
02-09-2011, 04:09 AM
For some reason this society admires comeback criminals more than comeback upstanding citizens. Why?

Because Vicks season was better than Henderson's.

He not only returned, but played much better than he ever has. Same isn't true for Henderson.

V4L
02-09-2011, 04:07 PM

He not only returned, but played much better than he ever has. Same isn't true for Henderson.

Correct

Also could add in Brandon Lloyd

12purplepride28
02-09-2011, 04:20 PM
It doesn't matter why Vick was out of the league. Fact is he was incarcerated, and no one thought he would play again, much less have a MVP caliber season. Vick deserved it. But Henderson or Mike Williams are second

Tanner2729
02-10-2011, 02:46 AM
At least EJ got paid to sit on the sidelines of the Pro Bowl. He belonged there and didn't need to take any unnecessary hits anyway. Perfect.

singersp
02-10-2011, 05:02 AM
It doesn't matter why Vick was out of the league. Fact is he was incarcerated, and no one thought he would play again, much less have a MVP caliber season. Vick deserved it. But Henderson or Mike Williams are second

It most certainly does matter why he was out. Being in jail for committing a felony shouldn't qualify you to be a "Come back player of the year" under those circumstances.

Using your logic, Plaxico Buress would be eligible when he gets out.

If committing a crime & being suspended from football because of it qualifies you to be eligible for CPOY, then Big Ben should have been in the running. After all, he took his team to the SB after overcoming the adversity of being suspended for the first for games. Right?

That's how ridiculous it is to give it to Vick.

He was suspended by the league.

i_bleed_purple
02-10-2011, 05:48 AM

It most certainly does matter why he was out. Being in jail for committing a felony shouldn't qualify you to be a "Come back player of the year" under those circumstances. Your opinion. I disagree.

Using your logic, Plaxico Buress would be eligible when he gets out. If Burress came back, put up huge yards and impressive TD numbers while leading his team to the playoffs, something nobody thought he'd do. Then yes, he absolutely deserves to be in the conversation.

If committing a crime & being suspended from football because of it qualifies you to be eligible for CPOY, then Big Ben should have been in the running. After all, he took his team to the SB after overcoming the adversity of being suspended for the first for games. Right?
Possibly. However, how I see it, Comeback player is usually someone who is in a drought, a backup, or injured, then has an incredible season again. Hell, Pennington won the award twice after crap seasons. Last season, Vick was a backup, this season, he "came back", had a very good season, his best ever and led the Eagles to the postseason.

i_bleed_purple
02-10-2011, 05:51 AM

Correct

Also could add in Brandon Lloyd

Lloyd would have been a better pick than EJ IMO.

truth be told, EJ didn't play THAT great. He played solidly, but got beat a number of times. He wasn't quite at the level he was before the injury, but that's to be expected. Guys like Lloyd, who had easily the best season he's ever had, nearing the top of the league in most receiving categories, or Vick, who had the best season he's ever had and the most success runnning an offense. Mike Williams, put up respectable numbers after being out of the league for a couple seasons. All three of them I would take before EJ. Simply because, They had the best seasons they've ever had, EJ regressed.

Just because EJ is a Viking doesn't mean its some crime against humanity that he didn't win an award. The thing is, we're not that good, we're not going to win many awards this season.

Marrdro
02-13-2011, 10:28 AM
I just hope and pray that K-dubb wins it next year after he takes some time off from juicing. (Sarcasm)

singersp
02-20-2011, 05:33 PM

It most certainly does matter why he was out. Being in jail for committing a felony shouldn't qualify you to be a "Come back player of the year" under those circumstances. Your opinion. I disagree.

Using your logic, Plaxico Buress would be eligible when he gets out. If Burress came back, put up huge yards and impressive TD numbers while leading his team to the playoffs, something nobody thought he'd do. Then yes, he absolutely deserves to be in the conversation.

Possibly. However, how I see it, Comeback player is usually someone who is in a drought, a backup, or injured, then has an incredible season again. Hell, Pennington won the award twice after crap seasons. Last season, Vick was a backup, this season, he "came back", had a very good season, his best ever and led the Eagles to the postseason.

We all know why Vick was a backup last year & it had absolutely nothing to do with his performance the year he played in the NFL prior to that.

Purple Floyd
02-21-2011, 02:45 PM

We all know why Vick was a backup last year & it had absolutely nothing to do with his performance the year he played in the NFL prior to that.

We do? Please- Spell it out in case someone missed the memo...

singersp
02-27-2011, 02:22 AM

Hello! Because he was picked up by a team that already had a starting QB. It was a few weeks before the start of the season. He was fresh out of federal prison/home confinement after serving two years for a feloneous crime. No one knew how well he would play, let alone being on a new team, with a different players to get acclimated to & learning the offense & the playbook.

Did you really think they'd crown him starter the minute he walked into camp?

Caine
02-27-2011, 04:28 PM
The criteria is simply this:

The player named Comeback Player of the Year shows perseverance in overcoming adversity, in the form of not being in the NFL the previous year, a severe injury, or simply poor performance.

I would say going to prison falls under "overcoming adversity".

And while I don't applaud giving the award to felons, I can't deny that under the current guidelines, Vick was a logical choice.

Caine

Purple Floyd
02-27-2011, 04:59 PM

Hello! Because he was picked up by a team that already had a starting QB. It was a few weeks before the start of the season. He was fresh out of federal prison/home confinement after serving two years for a feloneous crime. No one knew how well he would play, let alone being on a new team, with a different players to get acclimated to & learning the offense & the playbook.

So how exactly does what you just posted not qualify him for the award. He paid his price to society and the league brought him back in as a full member. That means they have put the past behind and cleaned his slate.

He was brought onto the Eagles because they felt they could work with him. Then McNabb left and he was moved up to the #2 QB. An injury to the starter gave him an opportunity to start and when he got in there he played at a pro bowl level and took the starting job away from the other QB.

If that isn't a come back then I am not sure what is.

I have dogs, I hate what he did to his dogs, but any person can change and if he did then i am willing to say that while it pisses me off that he did what he did, unless he goes back to doing it again I will consider him a better man for what he has learned.

There is now way that you can say EJ had a bigger impact on our team than Vick had on theirs and us having a 6-10 record really doesn't help the debate at all.

singersp
03-01-2011, 02:14 AM

So how exactly does what you just posted not qualify him for the award. He paid his price to society and the league brought him back in as a full member. That means they have put the past behind and cleaned his slate.

He was brought onto the Eagles because they felt they could work with him. Then McNabb left and he was moved up to the #2 QB. An injury to the starter gave him an opportunity to start and when he got in there he played at a pro bowl level and took the starting job away from the other QB.

I have dogs, I hate what he did to his dogs, but any person can change and if he did then i am willing to say that while it pisses me off that he did what he did, unless he goes back to doing it again I will consider him a better man for what he has learned.

There is now way that you can say EJ had a bigger impact on our team than Vick had on theirs and us having a 6-10 record really doesn't help the debate at all.

You don't have to always comeback bigger & better than before to win that award. Just making it back to be able to play football at a level you once played at, after a devastating injury that potentially could have been career ending is a remarkable comeback in of itself.

EJ fractured his femur, requiring surgery. The injury was described as one of the worst of 2009 & the type that could end a players career.

Vick came back from jail.

Do you think if Vick never had the felony charges against him, never did any jail time & had a season like he did last year, but was still playing for the Falcons in what would have been his 2007 season there, that he would have earned & been given the award?

Purple Floyd
03-01-2011, 02:56 AM

You don't have to always comeback bigger & better than before to win that award. Just making it back to be able to play football at a level you once played at, after a devastating injury that potentially could have been career ending is a remarkable comeback in of itself.

EJ fractured his femur, requiring surgery. The injury was described as one of the worst of 2009 & the type that could end a players career.

Vick came back from jail.

Do you think if Vick never had the felony charges against him, never did any jail time & had a season like he did last year, but was still playing for the Falcons in what would have been his 2007 season there, that he would have earned & been given the award?

I would say this:

If they had both broken their femurs and had surgery, that by comparing their performance and the success that performance brought to the team that I would give the award to Vick.

Other than that you really have to do better than your example because you gave nothing in there that would lead to him needing to come back from anything.