PDA

View Full Version : Will Cris carter make the HOF this year?

Purple Floyd
01-09-2011, 06:07 PM
Well, he is on the list of finalists and it looks like he has a pretty good shot to me.

Thoughts?

skum
01-10-2011, 05:45 AM
Certainly deserves to be in there, shocked that is wants in on his first try with the career he had..

AngloVike
01-10-2011, 01:09 PM
Certainly deserves to be in there, shocked that is wants in on his first try with the career he had..

how do you figure that? he's missed out getting in for the last three years.

Tad7
01-10-2011, 04:03 PM
lol must be a typo...I too am shocked he wasn't in on his first try.

Randy Moss
01-10-2011, 05:00 PM
I still can't fathom how two receivers not named Jerry Rice have made it in since Carter has been eligible.

jmcdon00
01-11-2011, 06:05 PM
I still can't fathom how two receivers not named Jerry Rice have made it in since Carter has been eligible.
Agreed. His whole career it seemed like he was the 2nd best WR behind Rice.

Truth is it's about politics. Carter pissed off members of the media years ago and they won't let it go.

The fact Michael Irvin got in on the first attempt with 65 career TDs and Carter doesn't with 130 speaks volumes.

skum
01-11-2011, 06:11 PM

how do you figure that? he's missed out getting in for the last three years.

I spelled that wrong.. i was trying to write.. shocked that he wasnt in on hys first try.. sorry if anyone was offended.. Cris Carter was amazing

seaniemck7
01-11-2011, 06:12 PM

Truth is it's about politics. Carter pissed off members of the media years ago and they won't let it go.

The fact Michael Irvin got in on the first attempt with 65 career TDs and Carter doesn't with 130 speaks volumes.

But all he did was catch Touchdowns. :P

Zeus
01-12-2011, 10:27 PM

Yup. Volumes about Irvin's three Super Bowl rings and Carter's zero.

=Z=

Zeus
01-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Well, he is on the list of finalists and it looks like he has a pretty good shot to me.

Thoughts?

Only 5 modern-era players can be elected in any given year.

From the list of 15 finalists, there are two absolute locks for induction this year: Deion Sanders and Marshall Faulk.

So, that leaves 3 spots open. My guess is those three will be: Shannon Sharpe, Dermontti Dawson and Carter. Ed Sabol SHOULD make it, as NFL Films has had as much impact on the game becoming the number one sport in the USA as any individual player or executive, but I doubt he will.

Dent and Doleman are also worthy candidates, as is, perhaps, Andre Reed.

And I don't think either of the veteran's committee guys will make it. C'mon - Chris Hanburger??

=Z=

ultravikingfan
01-12-2011, 10:39 PM

=Z=

+1

Contributing to 3 Rings is the kicker.

midgensa
01-12-2011, 11:02 PM

Uh ... Michael Irvin did not get in on his first attempt. He did not get in on his second attempt either.

That said ... Carter definitely should and will be in. He is without a doubt one of the top 15 WRs to have ever played the game ... and that will get him in (even though he was not one of the 8 wideouts mentioned in the 100 greatest ever countdown.)

midgensa
01-12-2011, 11:06 PM

Thoughts?

Only 5 modern-era players can be elected in any given year.

From the list of 15 finalists, there are two absolute locks for induction this year: Deion Sanders and Marshall Faulk.

So, that leaves 3 spots open. My guess is those three will be: Shannon Sharpe, Dermontti Dawson and Carter. Ed Sabol SHOULD make it, as NFL Films has had as much impact on the game becoming the number one sport in the USA as any individual player or executive, but I doubt he will.

Dent and Doleman are also worthy candidates, as is, perhaps, Andre Reed.

And I don't think either of the veteran's committee guys will make it. C'mon - Chris Hanburger??

=Z=

There are a lot of people out there who think that Sanders will not get 36 of the 44 votes ... even though he CLEARLY is one of the top two or three CBs to ever play the game.

I personally think he will get in first ballot, but there are some who think his antics will put him on hold for a year. That would definitely open the door for Carter a little wider.

BloodyHorns82
01-13-2011, 12:42 AM

=Z=

+1

Agreed, it's all about the rings. That's why I love being a Vikings fan. :lol:

Purple Floyd
01-13-2011, 02:51 AM
[quote="Randy Moss" #1087280]I still can't fathom how two receivers not named Jerry Rice have made it in since Carter has been eligible.

=Z=

+1

Agreed, it's all about the rings. That's why I love being a Vikings fan. :lol:[/quote

LMAO.

gregair13
01-13-2011, 07:34 AM
He probably will get snuffed again..

Marrdro
01-13-2011, 01:36 PM
Good luck CC. On a side note, I'd rather see the other C (Doleman) get in this time if only one of them can get in.

Minniman
01-14-2011, 09:33 PM

=Z=
+1

Agreed, it's all about the rings. That's why I love being a Vikings fan. :lol:
In many of the alternate universes, the Vikings have five, six, or even seven Superbowl rings. When I figure out how to get to the alternate universes, I will bring back some 4D holographic game footage.

Yeah, the rings mean a lot. Swan and Stallworth have proven that much. Carter should be in, and a Superbowl ring in 1998 would have sealed it. Even so, his stats are too good to keep passing him over.

jmcdon00
01-14-2011, 10:39 PM

=Z=
That excuse might work for a QB, but WR. Please. Anyone who watched the two play know that Carter was twice the reciever Irvin ever was.

Anyone that says Irvin is more deserving is either a cowboys fan or high on crack.

jessejames09
01-14-2011, 11:12 PM
2nd best WR ever, statistically speaking. Kind of a dink as a talking head, and spent one season as a dolphin.

It's a toss up...

midgensa
01-15-2011, 01:38 AM

=Z=
That excuse might work for a QB, but WR. Please. Anyone who watched the two play know that Carter was twice the reciever Irvin ever was.

Anyone that says Irvin is more deserving is either a cowboys fan or high on crack.
Almost everyone that is not a Vikings fan thinks Irvin deserves to be in the Hall more than Carter. Almost every analyst and almost any fan of other teams.

Fact is, he made big plays, had better top-end seasons, and won championships.

There is a reason he was ranked in the top 100 by NFLN and Carter wasn't. And it isn't because everyone else is an idiot. It is because Irvin is widely regarded as a better wideout than Cris.

Tanner2729
01-15-2011, 01:47 AM
lol must be a typo...I too am shocked he wasn't in on his first try.

Skol That!

singersp
01-15-2011, 04:00 PM

=Z=

*rolls eyes* Individuals don't win SB's all by themselves, teams do.

The HOF should & is supposed to be based on individual, not team accomplishments.

WR's Alvin Harper, Jimmy Smith & Kelvin Martin also each have 3 SB rings.

Do you think they should go to the HOF before Cris?

vikinggreg
01-15-2011, 04:35 PM

=Z=

The HOF should & is supposed to be based on individual, not team accomplishments.

Did they steal some extra rings? Harper and Smith have 2 and Martin has 1

singersp
01-15-2011, 04:56 PM
[quote="Randy Moss" #1087280]I still can't fathom how two receivers not named Jerry Rice have made it in since Carter has been eligible.

=Z=

Did they steal some extra rings? Harper and Smith have 2 and Martin has 1[/quote

You're. I missed that when looking on the rosters. Harper and Smith still have 2 more than Cris & Martin has 1 more.

My point still is, everyone on that team during those SB wins all received rings. Having a SB ring or even 3 doesn't necessarily make you a better player.

Zeus
01-16-2011, 01:16 AM

=Z=

Did they steal some extra rings? Harper and Smith have 2 and Martin has 1

You're. I missed that when looking on the rosters. Harper and Smith still have 2 more than Cris & Martin has 1 more.

My point still is, everyone on that team during those SB wins all received wins. Having a SB ring doesn't necessarily make you a better player.

I get the point. And I'm not arguing that Irvin shouldn't have gotten in before Carter. I was just explaining part of why Irvin *did* get in, albeit not on his first time on the ballot, as JMcD wrote.

=Z=

Minniman
01-16-2011, 09:11 PM
Carter may get in this time, but not getting in as a first time eligible player is a slap in the face. If he gets in this year, he will likely be playing third fiddle.

JellyBean2144
01-18-2011, 05:28 PM
Yeah. I think Cris gets in this year. The list is pretty short and he should get the invite.

BadlandsVikings
02-06-2011, 01:35 AM
He will get the Art Monk deal

singersp
02-06-2011, 01:55 AM
Cris Carter Snubbed From Pro Football Hall Of Fame's 2011 Class

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/2/5/1976979/cris-carter-snubbed-pro-football-hall-of-fame-stats

vikinggreg
02-06-2011, 01:56 AM

I heard a couple of years ago on Sirius NFL when the hosts (not sure if it was Peter King or Pat Kirwin) were talking about Jim Marshall not getting in yet at that time and it was mentioned that Sid Hartman was not well liked by the other voters and it could be hurting any Vikings bound for the hall.

Similiar BS has been going on with Paul Zimmerman and his hate for Ken Stabler.

With the amount of teams now and larger rosters and longer schedule they need to add a couple of spots a year and maybe another for nonplayers like Sabol. They could also look at rolling out some of these guys like Zimmerman and Sid and others to bring in some fresh views and lose some of the old prejudices.

Marrdro
02-06-2011, 04:13 AM

=Z=
Maybe its just cause he is a Hampton Crabber and from our area that I know of him and have done a bit of studying on him, but Chris has one hell of a resume when it comes to HOF credentials.

Not sure about you, but I like it when a couple of old timers get the nod. Fun to look over a career that you didn't even know existed.

Marrdro
02-06-2011, 04:16 AM
Cris Carter Snubbed From Pro Football Hall Of Fame's 2011 Class

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/2/5/1976979/cris-carter-snubbed-pro-football-hall-of-fame-stats
Sportswriters have a long memory. I think that is what is holding him back.

i_bleed_purple
02-06-2011, 07:55 AM

=Z=
Maybe its just cause he is a Hampton Crabber and from our area that I know of him and have done a bit of studying on him, but Chris has one hell of a resume when it comes to HOF credentials.

Not sure about you, but I like it when a couple of old timers get the nod. Fun to look over a career that you didn't even know existed.

You realize a that every single year a "couple of old timers" get voted into the HOF. I'ts a requirement.

Marrdro
02-06-2011, 03:57 PM

=Z=

You realize a that every single year a "couple of old timers" get voted into the HOF. I'ts a requirement.
And you point is?

Again, I kindof like it. I get to learn a bit more about the game and thats a good thing don't ya think? Case in point, I had heard of Chris, but didn't really know that much about him. Now I can watch to see how a local boy, made good, handles himself through a HOF induction.

In short, did one of the Vikes make it? No, but still something there for me if I look hard enough. Thats what I love about the game.B)

Purple Floyd
02-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Maybe if the Vikings would actually win a few SB's instead of building teams to get close then they would get some respect nationally. Seriously- You look at teams like the packers, Steelers, Pats etc and they are going to have guys get in with lesser stats than some teams that did not win the big one and that is the way it is.

JellyBean2144
02-07-2011, 12:41 PM
In a way I am disappointed that Cris did not make the HOF t this year. But after giving it some thought, CC will be in next year. No doubt about it.

Mark_The_Viking
02-07-2011, 04:43 PM
In a way I am disappointed that Cris did not make the HOF t this year. But after giving it some thought, CC will be in next year. No doubt about it.

Really!!!!

Ithought that last year and the year before that

AngloVike
02-07-2011, 05:04 PM

Really!!!!

Ithought that last year and the year before that

what irks more is that Sanders get in as a first ballot inductee.. then again somewhere that includes Michael Irvin as a member is probably a club that you might not want to belong to.

VikingMike
02-07-2011, 06:16 PM
Maybe if the Vikings would actually win a few SB's instead of building teams to get close then they would get some respect nationally. Seriously- You look at teams like the packers, Steelers, Pats etc and they are going to have guys get in with lesser stats than some teams that did not win the big one and that is the way it is.

Yes, you are right. Carter should have made it by now, and IMO would have if he/we had won a SB win. There's no doubt it enters the minds of the voters, who are listed here: NFL HOF Selection Committee (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.aspx)

And I may be wrong, but I really don't think Sid does a good job talking up our guys.

Zeus
02-08-2011, 04:30 AM

Yes, you are right. Carter should have made it by now, and IMO would have if he/we had won a SB win. There's no doubt it enters the minds of the voters, who are listed here: NFL HOF Selection Committee (http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.aspx)

And I may be wrong, but I really don't think Sid does a good job talking up our guys.

Sid didn't present for Carter (or Doleman). It was Mark Craig of the Star Tribune:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/115387809.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiU9PmP:QiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUoD3aPc:_o8P77U

As a member of the committee, I can't reveal anything specific that was said in the meeting about any of the candidates. I presented the cases for Carter and Doleman, and voted for them. I also presented the cases for Randall McDaniel and John Randle, who were selected the past two years.

I can say there was, like last year, a lengthy discussion overall on the receivers and how Carter, Brown and Reed compared with each other in a number of ways, including postseason play. There also was much discussion about what in fact constitutes a Hall of Fame receiver when one isn't a slam-dunk pick like Jerry Rice was last year.

Let's just say the logjam at receiver continues and is sure to resurface in 2012 in Indianapolis.

=Z=

Marrdro
02-13-2011, 10:38 AM

=Z=

I am well aware of what happens each year at this time, unless of course you are asking Z.

Marrdro
02-13-2011, 10:42 AM
what irks more is that Sanders get in as a first ballot inductee.. then again somewhere that includes Michael Irvin as a member is probably a club that you might not want to belong to.
I hear ya on Irvin but you don't think Deon should have been a "First Ballot" guy?

If you can get past the "Persona" and focus on his play, I'm not sure why you wouldn't agree with me that he deserved it.

I remember one time when he was a Falcon. No one would throw to his side so he came up with a trick were he would run 2 or 3 steps away from his receiver in order to get a throw and still close the space and get the ball.

Absolutely amazing.

marshallvike
03-28-2011, 01:04 AM
Top 10 hands, NFL network. #1 Cris Carter.

Still not in the Hall. It's a freakin joke.