PDA

View Full Version : Pros & Cons Of The Vikings Playing @ TCF Stadium?

Tanner2729
12-28-2010, 09:34 PM
Most people would say that TCF Bank Stadium is a first class (COLLEGE) football stadium. Built on a college campus, TCF Stadium was built for (COLLEGE) football... not for the needs of an NFL Football team.

Pros: TCF has great sitelines from all seats in the stadium.

Cons: Too small. Lack of parking. No beer. Designed for college football.

I hope others can give honest feedback on their thoughts about the Vikings playing at TCF Bank Stadium.

i_bleed_purple
01-04-2011, 03:46 PM
Most people would say that TCF Bank Stadium is a first class (COLLEGE) football stadium. Built on a college campus, TCF Stadium was built for (COLLEGE) football... not for the needs of an NFL Football team.

I hope others can give honest feedback on their thoughts about the Vikings playing at TCF Bank Stadium.

Whoever told you tcf is a fi:huh: rst class stadium is a liar. It's a nice stadium for what u of m needs, and nothing more. It's small, many amenities. It's not even eligible to host a bowl game. If the vikes were to play there long-term, many improvements would have to be made. First, add permanent seats in the open end stands woild need, and possibly even a second level on top of that. It would bring our capacity to around 65k.
Secondly, need to redo the field, adding heating could under the turf and a way to improve snow removal. The concourses woild need to be closed in, heated, and all water pipes insulated. Concession stands need to be improved, a way to sell alcohol agreed on, then therea the issue of parking. Being on u of m campus, drinking and tailgating wouldn't be allowed.

Imo, they really screwed themselves by not working with u of m to come up with a stadium that satisfies both teams needs. I just can't see how tcf could possibly work out in the long run.

Tad7
01-04-2011, 04:03 PM

Whoever told you tcf is a fi:huh: rst class stadium is a liar. It's a nice stadium for what u of m needs, and nothing more. It's small, many amenities. It's not even eligible to host a bowl game. If the vikes were to play there long-term, many improvements would have to be made. First, add permanent seats in the open end stands woild need, and possibly even a second level on top of that. It would bring our capacity to around 65k.
Secondly, need to redo the field, adding heating could under the turf and a way to improve snow removal. The concourses woild need to be closed in, heated, and all water pipes insulated. Concession stands need to be improved, a way to sell alcohol agreed on, then therea the issue of parking. Being on u of m campus, drinking and tailgating wouldn't be allowed.

Imo, they really screwed themselves by not working with u of m to come up with a stadium that satisfies both teams needs. I just can't see how tcf could possibly work out in the long run.
What I was gonna say and then some! It's not a good solution without spending some major bucks.

NodakPaul
01-04-2011, 04:13 PM
Not to mention that TCF suffers from the same driving problem that the Metrodome does - not enough non-revenue sharing (i.e. luxury) seats. It is newer, and nicer in some ways, but it does not solve the number one reason the Vikings want a new stadium - finacial solviency.

As a short term solution while a new stadium is being built, it would be fine. But not long term. I agree that Minnesota dropped the ball by putting so much money into a stadium that could not be used for both. The Vikings proposed a joint stadium back in the Red days, but the state and university pushed back.

BloodyHorns82
01-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Not to mention that TCF suffers from the same driving problem that the Metrodome does - not enough non-revenue sharing (i.e. luxury) seats. It is newer, and nicer in some ways, but it does not solve the number one reason the Vikings want a new stadium - finacial solviency.

A

Nicer in SOME ways? I'm pretty sure the stadium itself is nicer in just about every way except maybe the bench seating and the lack of winterizing.

i_bleed_purple
01-04-2011, 04:43 PM
I find the ability to buy beer and tailgate a nice touch at the dome.

BloodyHorns82
01-04-2011, 04:53 PM

They have tailgating. Beer is something that could be negotiated. There was talk of negotiating for the MNF game but I think lack of time and all the other last minute fiascos to tie up made it less of a priority. If the Vikings were to play a season there I bet they come to a solution.

jmcdon00
01-04-2011, 04:57 PM

They have tailgating. Beer is something that could be negotiated. There was talk of negotiating for the MNF game but I think lack of time and all the other last minute fiascos to tie up made it less of a priority. If the Vikings were to play a season there I bet they come to a solution.
Yep. It's not like there is an all out ban of alcohol on campus. Plenty of bars in the area.

i_bleed_purple
01-04-2011, 05:01 PM

Considering tcf is on u of m property, I highky doubt they'll allow drinking in parking lots.

BloodyHorns82
01-05-2011, 04:38 PM

Considering tcf is on u of m property, I highky doubt they'll allow drinking in parking lots.

Meh, I had no problems taking down 10 beers (shared them) outside the stadium and bringing flasks into TCF. The baileys tasted darn good in my coffee. The alcohol thing doesn't really concern me after being there and seeing how "tight" of a ship they run, or should I say lack there of?

TCF was much nicer than I expected it to be. Absolutely blows the metrodome away and I don't think I'm overstating things.

Zeus
01-06-2011, 03:45 PM

Meh, I had no problems taking down 10 beers (shared them) outside the stadium and bringing flasks into TCF. The baileys tasted darn good in my coffee. The alcohol thing doesn't really concern me after being there and seeing how "tight" of a ship they run, or should I say lack there of?

TCF was much nicer than I expected it to be. Absolutely blows the metrodome away and I don't think I'm overstating things.

The concourses and bathrooms were vastly superior. I'm not sure I'd say the same thing about the seating, if I'd been in the end zone on the bleachers.

That said - I still prefer being inside.

=Z=

i_bleed_purple
01-06-2011, 04:24 PM
That said - I still prefer being inside.

=Z=

Cold weather is hard on the old man.