PDA

View Full Version : Vikings will sign quarterback Rhett Bomar

Marrdro
12-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Vikings will sign quarterback Rhett Bomar off Giants practice squad
(http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/12/vikings_claim_quarterback_rhet.html)

Infidel
12-20-2010, 07:17 PM
What have we got, about a dozen QBs now?

Is there a plot to part them out and make one good one?

:D

Stonecoldet3
12-20-2010, 07:28 PM
I believe this is all prelude to a Favre suspension. I believe the commish said the incident will be resolved as soon as this week. But who knows /shrug

Marrdro
12-20-2010, 07:41 PM
I believe this is all prelude to a Favre suspension. I believe the commish said the incident will be resolved as soon as this week. But who knows /shrug
Could be, however, I think the Commish has it all layed out so that one of the leagues faces retires without being suspended.

Even if he starts again, the whole Sterger threat would take a couple/three weeks to get off the ground/enacted and by then the season will be over.

Nope, just a "Extra" concern for the Bores tonight, thats all.

Stonecoldet3
12-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Could be, however, I think the Commish has it all layed out so that one of the leagues faces retires without being suspended.

Even if he starts again, the whole Sterger threat would take a couple/three weeks to get off the ground/enacted and by then the season will be over.

I can understand that...lost in my thought that Leslie Frazier is still "auditioning" and will do almost anything to get an upper hand in the game.

Infidel
12-20-2010, 08:11 PM
I believe this is all prelude to a Favre suspension.

The whole Sterger scam was dead a month ago.

We had a thread on it that got so ridiculous that it was locked.

You can probably find it and see that I told people it was dead at that time.

Sterger has been reduced to the answer to an NFL historical trivia question.

The Bomar signing is a prelude to having too many scrub quarterbacks.

Marrdro
12-20-2010, 08:42 PM

I can understand that...lost in my thought that Leslie Frazier is still "auditioning" and will do almost anything to get an upper hand in the game.
Valid point (I didn't consider) as well my friend.

Purple Floyd
12-21-2010, 12:06 AM
We should just use next years 3rd round pick to get Sage back from the Giants instead.

i_bleed_purple
12-21-2010, 12:08 AM
We should just use next years 3rd round pick to get Sage back from the Giants instead.

Please no, I'm sick of picking up crap players. Get a real QB.

singersp
12-21-2010, 12:17 AM

Favre won't get suspended for any games this year.

singersp
12-21-2010, 12:21 AM

Apparently, your not paying attention again. It's continued to be in the news.

swardsooner
12-21-2010, 01:29 AM
Bomar was the #1 QB prospect out of Texas when OU got him. Screwed up bad one time and Stoops immediately dropped him. He was properly humble and contrite to the Sooner faithful about his bad behavior. The next year a redshirt freshman named Sam Bradford got a chance.

I wish him well with Minnesota. In fact, I suspect if he had stayed at OU he would have been a first round draftee. Strong arm, speed. Didn't follow him enough to know about his intangibles.

Marrdro
12-21-2010, 01:54 PM

He lives in his own little world. Remember, he said the Noodle wasn't gonna play last night and it was all a ploy leading up to the Iggles game.

Good thing I don't do the "Owned" kids thing or I could've owned him 4 times yesterday. :laugh:

Marrdro
12-21-2010, 01:55 PM

I think that was PF's attempt at humor my friend. Atleast I got a chuckle out of it. :laugh:

soonerbornNbred
12-21-2010, 02:28 PM
He was ranked as the Nations No 1 high school QB of 2004 and was compared to former great John Elway. He was named MVP of 2006 Holiday Bowl in the game Vs Oregon Ducks

Marrdro
12-21-2010, 02:33 PM
He was ranked as the Nations No 1 high school QB of 2004 and was compared to former great John Elway. He was named MVP of 2006 Holiday Bowl in the game Vs Oregon Ducks
As I said, I had him ranked pretty high coming out in that draft. Not sure what happened to him.

I for one would be interested in seeing him in camp next year.

swardsooner
12-21-2010, 03:15 PM
As I said, I had him ranked pretty high coming out in that draft. Not sure what happened to him.

Well crap....kiss of death for Bomar.

Just kidding :lol:

Marrdro
12-21-2010, 03:33 PM

Well crap....kiss of death for Bomar.

Just kidding :lol:
I needed a laugh. Thanks.

singersp
12-21-2010, 03:41 PM
The "Bomar Brain"?

Marrdro
12-21-2010, 03:47 PM
The "Bomar Brain"?
??? I would call him Sidearm Bomar before I would call him the Brain.

Infidel
12-22-2010, 01:52 AM

LOL!

The only "News" is that it's dead.

:D

Purple Floyd
12-22-2010, 02:27 AM

I think that was PF's attempt at humor my friend. Atleast I got a chuckle out of it. :laugh:

There were actually multiple layers of sarcasm in there if you look close enough.

ILLvike
12-22-2010, 08:56 AM
I can just imagine the jokes we'll get out of Bomar... sounds like...

gregair13
12-22-2010, 10:07 AM
I can just imagine the jokes we'll get out of Bomar... sounds like...
I can imagine those jokes.

Marrdro
12-22-2010, 01:25 PM

There were actually multiple layers of sarcasm in there if you look close enough.
LOL, love the new avatar. Kiss fan?

For some reason I didn't like them when I was growing up. Ole Wildman (my son) discovered them and put several of thier songs on my Ipod.

Marrdro
12-22-2010, 01:37 PM
From our good friends at Wikki......

Professional career
[edit] New York Giants
In the 2009 NFL Draft, Bomar was drafted by the New York Giants as the 15th pick of the 5th round (151 overall). Bomar on June 24, 2009 signed a four-year contract, including a $185,183 signing bonus. He was waived on September 5, 2009 and re-signed to the practice squad on September 6.

Bomar was promoted to the active roster on December 31, 2009.

On September 4, 2010, Bomar was waived by the Giants. Following an injury to Giants quarterback Jim Sorgi, Bomar was initially expected to take over the role as backup quarterback, but on September 3, 2010, the Giants acquired Sage Rosenfels from the Minnesota Vikings to step in at the position, making Bomar expendable. On the following day, September 5, the Giants re-signed Bomar to the team's practice squad.

[edit] Minnesota Vikings
Bomar was signed by the Minnesota Vikings off of the Giants' practice squad on December 21, 2010.[7]

Rhett Bomar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhett_Bomar)

From our good friends at NFL Draft Scout

Draft Scout Snapshot: DS Rating on 8/24/08: #8 QB, #149/750 Overall, Projected Rnd: 5
2008: All-Southland Conference second-team selection...Started ten games, as he ranked second in the nation in total offense (354.2 ypg) and fourth in passing yardage (335.5 ypg)...Connected on 245 of 436 passes (56.19 percent) for 3,355 yards, 27 touchdowns and thirteen interceptions...Scored five times on 81 carries for 187 yards (2.3 avg), as he participated in 517 total plays for 3,542 yards, accounting for 32 total touchdowns... Helped convert 57 of 151 third-down plays (37.75 percent), as 139 of his 245 pass completions produced first downs...Sacked 19 times for losses of 130 yards and had 44 of 436 pass attempts (10.09 percent) deflected by the opposition...Turned the ball over once on three fumbles...Led a unit that ranked fourth in the nation in passing offense (338.0 ypg) and fifth in total offense (457.3 ypg)...Had ten pass completions for at least 50 yards or longer, including an 80-yarder vs. McNeese State...2007: 9 GP; 9 GS; Rush: 87-406-4.7-7; Pass: 291-172-59.1-2209-10-6; All-Southland Conference honorable mention in 2007 ranked second in the SLC and eighth nationally in total offense (290.6 yards per game) passed for 2,209 yards and 10 TDs and rushed for 406 yards and 7 TDs in 9 games . Missed final two games with knee injury...2006: Did not play in 2006...Dismissed from Oklahoma for taking pay for hours not actually worked at a Norman car dealership...2005: 12 GP; 10 GS; Rush: 89-184-2.1-4; Pass: 308-167-54.2-2018-10-10; Passed for 2,018 yards on 10 touchdowns as a redshirt freshman for the Sooners ... led Oklahoma to victories over Kansas State, Kansas, Baylor, Nebraska, Texas A&M, and Oklahoma State during the regular season ... Most Valuable Player in the Holiday Bowl, passing for 229 yards in 17-14 victory over Oregon ... best performance was 20 of 28 for 298 yards in 36-30 victory over Texas A&M. 2004: Redshirted.

Player Profile (http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=33483&draftyear=2009&genpos=QB)

#1. Rhett Bomar- QB Sam Houston State
Right now you are probably thinking that Rhett Bomar sounds slightly familar from somewhere but you just can't think of where you know this name from. Bomar made a lot of headlines from 2003-2006. He was one of the top recruits in the country and signed with Oklahoma. Bomar was MVP of the Holiday Bowl and broke the Sooners record for passing yards by a freshman. Bomar was dismissed from college football after receiving payment for a job at a car dealership that he apparently never showed up to. In two seasons with Sam Houston State, Bomar has thrown for 5,550+ yards, 37 touchdowns, and 19 interceptions. Bomar will be the steal of the draft if he can stay out of trouble. He would be a great 3rd round pick for the Detroit Lions.

Top 5 2009 NFL Draft Sleepers; Rhett Bomar #1
(http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1502786/top_5_2009_nfl_draft_sleepers_rhett.html?cat=14)

Analysis
Strengths: Adequate height and size, with strong bicep development. His quick release and arm strength allow him to throw accurately over the middle, across the field or on the run (to his left and right) from under center or the shotgun. Displayed above-average mobility, even early in the season when wearing a brace to protect a torn left ACL suffered late in 2007 (missed last two games). Can move within the pocket to find a passing lane and keep defenses honest by running for first downs (and more).

Weaknesses: Strong leader, but straddles the line between confident and cocky. Lacks the size that can propel FCS quarterbacks like Joe Flacco into the first round. Locks onto receivers and gets stuck in the pocket (leading to sacks) if his primary read is not available. Needs a bit more air under this deep throws and must take some zip off short touch throws. Threw 13 interceptions in 2008, usually when trying to force a ball deep to keep his team in the ballgame.

Compares To: JONATHAN "J.P." LOSMAN, ex-Buffalo -- Yes, they are both blessed with great arm strength and show good mobility running with the ball, but sometimes their confidence can be taken for cockiness and arrogance. Bomar showed at the Senior Bowl that he can make all the throws, but he looked like he tried to carry the team on his shoulders too much last year. That, coupled by his tendency to lock on to his primary target too long and a noticeable drop in his production as a runner, makes you wonder if he is just a rifle-armed passer who will be carrying a clipboard for the majority of his career. The jury is out, and he certainly did not take the world by storm during two years playing against inferior competition at Sam Houston State.

NFL Draft Prospect Page (http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/rhett-bomar?id=71207#profiles-tabs:players-analysis)