PDA

View Full Version : Daunte"looking forward to going back to Minnesota"

vikinggreg
12-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Vikings bringing back Daunte Culpepper, sort of

I was pleasantly surprised when I listened to a voicemail message from the Vikings inviting me in for a visit to Minnesota, Culpepper told us via e-mail. I have to admit, I have been waiting for this call from the Vikings! I am honored to be selected as one of the 50 greatest Viking players. I am looking forward to going back to Minnesota for the celebration this coming weekend and the game next Monday Night (wherever it is played).

LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/15/vikings-bringing-back-daunte-culpepper-sort-of/)

i_bleed_purple
12-15-2010, 09:39 PM
What a sad history of Vikings players when Culpepper makes our top 50 players ever, but it's true.

Remember, Chester Taylor #10 all time in career rushing yards and carries as a Viking.

Infidel
12-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Another good QB that ran too much and got hurt.

Michael Vick is now on that same road.

Tragic.

i_bleed_purple
12-15-2010, 09:57 PM
Another good QB that ran too much and got hurt.

Michael Vick is now on that same road.

Tragic.

Don't you mean another QB that stood in a perfect pocket for 10 seconds until he found a wide open receiver? notice when that pocket and Moss left, Culpepper played like crap.

Infidel
12-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Like I said, he got hurt running too much.

i_bleed_purple
12-15-2010, 10:03 PM

He didn't get hurt until halfway through that season. He sucked for that entire season.

12purplepride28
12-15-2010, 10:10 PM
I really really really really really hope that Favre is one of them. For Marrdro's sake.

jmcdon00
12-15-2010, 10:12 PM
What a sad history of Vikings players when Culpepper makes our top 50 players ever, but it's true.

Remember, Chester Taylor #10 all time in career rushing yards and carries as a Viking.
I think he would be on most teams top 50. His career here was short, but while he was here he was incredible. 163TD as a Vikings.

Peterson is much higher on the list after only 3 seasons. That's crazy.

i_bleed_purple
12-15-2010, 11:00 PM

I think he would be on most teams top 50. His career here was short, but while he was here he was incredible. 163TD as a Vikings.

Peterson is much higher on the list after only 3 seasons. That's crazy.

for rushing yards:

Robert Smith 6818
Chuck Foreman 5887
Bill Brown 5757
Adrian Peterson 5633

For rushing TD's, He's #3 with 51, behind Chuck Foremand and Bill Brown, both of whom have 52

Yards per game, he's at 95.5
Next closest is Chuck Foreman at 69.6

Average yards per carry for runningbacks with at least 100 carries,
Tied for #3 with 4.8ypc

Onterrio Smith and Mewelde Moore both have 4.9
Robert Smith is tied with AP at 4.8

on a side note, Joe Webb is #4 all-time for average ypc in vikings history! :laugh:

Percy Harvin is #9

battleaxe4cheese
12-16-2010, 01:52 AM
How about yards per coach?

Infidel
12-16-2010, 02:02 AM
Actually, how about yards per catch?

I see more twisting of the statistics here.

Comparing the rushing yards is giving a big advantage to AP.

Brown and Foreman played in an offense that relied a lot on short swing passes to the backs.

And we all know AP is not real good at catching the ball.

;)

i_bleed_purple
12-16-2010, 02:18 AM
Actually, how about yards per catch?

I see more twisting of the statistics here.

Comparing the rushing yards is giving a big advantage to AP.

Brown and Foreman played in an offense that relied a lot on short swing passes to the backs.

And we all know AP is not real good at catching the ball.

;)

Best all-time Average per reception as a Viking out of the Vikings top 10 all-time rushers:
#96: Bill Brown 11.2
#97: Tommy Mason 11.2
#112: Adrian Peterson 10.0
#134: Chuck Foreman 9.1
#144: Darrin Nelson 8.8
#152: Chester Taylor 8.5
#154: Ted Brown 8.4
#157: Michael Bennett 8.3
#162: Dave Osborn 8.2
#179: Robert Smith 7.3

So AP is #2 all-time in ypc, behind The Whizzinator and Memo,
He's #4 all-time in yards, in less than 4 years
he's #2 all-time in rushing TD's, in less than 4 years
he's got the 10th longest play from scrimmage in Vikings history (Berrian is #1, Chester Taylor is #2)

What more do you want?

However, it appears you want receiving stats included, so here's one. Average receiving yards per game.

#31 Chuck Foreman 32.9
#41 Ted Brown 27.4
#49 Tommy Mason 24.1
#54 Chester Taylor 22.2
#62 Adrian Peterson 19.7

So he still ranks in the top 5 of our best starting backs in average receiving yardage per game.

Infidel
12-16-2010, 03:28 AM
And that's his best stat?

Not impressive.

How many games did they play?

How many games has he played?

How many passes has he caught?

How many passes did they catch?

Of course his average would be very high because he's caught far fewer passes and played far fewer games.

You're comparing his few BEST years in his prime with the many years of players with long careers who would naturally have less productive years as they got older.

In addition, those other players had to block well....both passing and running.

AP will probably turn out to be one of the greats if he stays healthy.

Beware the careless use of statistics.

snowinapril
12-16-2010, 04:20 AM

I was pleasantly surprised when I listened to a voicemail message from the Vikings inviting me in for a visit to Minnesota, Culpepper told us via e-mail. I have to admit, I have been waiting for this call from the Vikings! I am honored to be selected as one of the 50 greatest Viking players. I am looking forward to going back to Minnesota for the celebration this coming weekend and the game next Monday Night (wherever it is played).

LINK (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/12/15/vikings-bringing-back-daunte-culpepper-sort-of/)

Might as well suit DC up for the game. He can't be any worse than Ramsey

Seriously, he is in town.

Prophet
12-16-2010, 05:03 AM

How about just having a lottery and letting some fan QB for a couple series. All they have to be able to do is scramble around and do a 4 yd dump to Kleinsasser. Would at least be something entertaining to watch, plus, you could just pay him with a 12-pack of cheap beer. Win-Win.

Formo
12-16-2010, 05:35 AM

How about just having a lottery and letting some fan QB for a couple series. All they have to be able to do is scramble around and do a 4 yd dump to Kleinsasser. Would at least be something entertaining to watch, plus, you could just pay him with a 12-pack of cheap beer. Win-Win.

I'll demand much more than a 12-pack of cheap beer. Just pay my bills and get me a new SUV. I'll play QB until my neck breaks. Or until I get boo'd off the field. Whichever happens first.

ndnorseman
12-16-2010, 05:54 AM
Getting booed doesn't necessarily get you taken out of the game in Minnesota any more...LOL

singersp
12-16-2010, 01:39 PM

He didn't get hurt until halfway through that season. He sucked for that entire season.

Our OL sucked that season, even worse than it does now. Birk was out for the season & they tried 4-5 alternatives at center & didn't get it half-ass working right until mid-way thru the season. They were constantly switching guards & tackles around also.

It was in a state of constant change for half the season or more.

The biggest factors: Losing Birk to surgery for the entire season & the retirement of David Dixon.

Quite frankly, our OL has never been the same since Stringer died. Sad, but true.

AngloVike
12-16-2010, 02:23 PM

Our OL sucked that season, even worse than it does now. Birk was out for the season & they tried 4-5 alternatives at center & didn't get it half-ass working right until mid-way thru the season. They were constantly switching guards & tackles around also.

The biggest factors: Losing Birk to surgery for the entire season & the retirement of David Dixon.

Quite frankly, our OL has never been the same since Stringer died. Sad, but true.

and as much as many won't admit it I think that not having Mike Tice coaching the OL made a huge difference as well.

jargomcfargo
12-16-2010, 04:11 PM

That line took Culpepper, who frankly looked like he could be heading for a monster career, and turned him into a below average QB.

No QB is talented enough to overcome lousy protection for long. Rodgers has done pretty well in Green Bay, but he has taken a pounding.

The Vikings can have success grooming a young QB, only if they fix the line, along with the blocking of the tight ends and backs.

The one place Childress was right, 'It all starts up front'.

Good post Singer.

Culpepper_4717
12-21-2010, 06:35 AM
Hopefully this offseason I will get another invitation from the Vikings to at least come in for a sit-down visit!
I think Daunte would be a better choice over Mcnabb for next season. After watching Culpepper play in the UFL this season it's obvious he has lot's left in the tank.

Q&A with Daunte Culpepper (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/112108854.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUoD3aPc:_2yc:a_ncyD_MDCiU)

skum
12-21-2010, 06:48 AM
Hopefully this offseason I will get another invitation from the Vikings to at least come in for a sit-down visit!
I think Daunte would be a better choice over Mcnabb for next season. After watching Culpepper play in the UFL this season it's obvious he has lot's left in the tank.

Q&A with Daunte Culpepper (http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/112108854.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUoD3aPc:_2yc:a_ncyD_MDCiU)

I know that the league has improved, but Brooks Bollinger was the UFL MVP in 09

Culpepper_4717
12-22-2010, 06:40 AM
I never wanted to leave Minnesota. Coach [Brad] Childress really jumped the gun in my opinion in terms of evaluating my ability to be his quarterback. For the last two offseasons I have tried to get him to consider giving me an opportunity to prove that I could help the team, but he had other plans. I respect his decision, but I do disagree with how things ended.

gregair13
12-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Culpepper plays in the UFL for a reason. He sucks. I don't want that bum back. Move on and get new players. Start with drafting a QB in the first round

Culpepper_4717
12-22-2010, 11:50 AM
Culpepper plays in the UFL for a reason. He sucks. I don't want that bum back. Move on and get new players. Start with drafting a QB in the first round
We don't like to draft Quarterbacks in the first round. Haven't done it since 99, and that was Daunte. Tommy Kramer is the only other first round QB from the Vikings.

Marrdro
12-22-2010, 02:14 PM
I really really really really really hope that Favre is one of them. For Marrdro's sake.
LOL. You guys on PPO sure know how to crack me up. Well played my friend.:laugh:

Marrdro
12-22-2010, 02:17 PM

Wasn't that the year Birk could have played injured, and would have, if they would have got a deal done. The staff said no, so Matt sat out, if memory serves.

Marrdro
12-22-2010, 02:21 PM
I never wanted to leave Minnesota. Coach [Brad] Childress really jumped the gun in my opinion in terms of evaluating my ability to be his quarterback. For the last two offseasons I have tried to get him to consider giving me an opportunity to prove that I could help the team, but he had other plans. I respect his decision, but I do disagree with how things ended.
When it comes to players that turn thier back on the organization (ala CC) I turn my back on them. Once a man does that you just can't trust them anymore. My guess, thats why the Chiller (staff) wouldn't give him another chance.

In he end, he should have come up and at least talked with the staff instead of hiding down there in his little strip mall he called a "Workout Facility".

On a side note.....It wasn't like they didn't want him. Hell, I think the Chiller took the job mostly cause of Pepp.