PDA

View Full Version : Favre's streak over

marstc09
12-12-2010, 09:03 PM
"It does not look good," one source close to Favre said Sunday

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81cd460c/article/favres-streak-could-be-over-as-qb-tells-people-he-likely-cant-go?module=HP_headlines

Infidel
12-12-2010, 09:03 PM
I've been saying it for a week.

:D

ILLvike
12-12-2010, 09:05 PM
If Farve doesn't play, I think he will be done for the year, and done with the Vikings. He may come back for next year with someone, but I'm pretty sure he means it this time that he will be done with his career.

AngloVike
12-12-2010, 09:17 PM
If Farve doesn't play, I think he will be done for the year, and done with the Vikings. He may come back for next year with someone, but I'm pretty sure he means it this time that he will be done with his career.

Nope after the hits and wallops he's taken this year then he won't be back and I doubt that any other teams would seriously consider him. OIf 'the streak' is done then nothing left for him to want to come back for.

Culpepper_4717
12-12-2010, 09:20 PM
This just crushed the dream of every Lion's fan. Having Brett Favre play as the home QB in Detroit.

Infidel
12-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Fascinating how the Favre drama continues, though.

All attention is always focused on what he may or may not do.

My guess is that he may be able to throw in two weeks, but not as well as he needs to throw.

That pretty much ends it for him, because if TJ is playing consistently, it won't make sense to rock the boat at that time......

Or will it? Could they send him in for a swan song in the last game?

Nobody knows.

skum
12-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Every dome will collapse until Favre is ready to play..

Mr Anderson
12-12-2010, 11:35 PM
Would anyone bet on it? How many times has he said one thing and done another?

SkolPensacola
12-12-2010, 11:46 PM

+1

I'll believe it when I see it. I bet he'll be in for at least the first series. "Team first" my ass. He wants his glory.

Infidel
12-12-2010, 11:59 PM
I bet he'll be in for at least the first series.

Not a chance in hell.

Culpepper_4717
12-13-2010, 12:14 AM
"It does not look good," one source close to Favre said Sunday

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81cd460c/article/favres-streak-could-be-over-as-qb-tells-people-he-likely-cant-go?module=HP_headlines

"I don't know where that would come from," Frazier said, via ESPN, "because from everything I've seen, there is still a possibility he could play, especially with an extra day. No, I'm not aware of that."

Infidel
12-13-2010, 12:29 AM
Just subterfuge.

Coaches always do that.

He's playing with the Giant's minds.

Reignman
12-13-2010, 12:32 AM
I don't believe it for a second. Interesting how he didn't say it until he learned the game was postponed until Monday night. I think he's just toying with the media when he says this crap. He knows they eat this stuff up, so he spoon feeds it to them. He'll play Monday and the media puppets will go on and on about him for a couple more weeks.

Worst case scenario, he'll try to go, play the first series, make a throw or 2, and then come out. No way he sits himself down now. He can easily ride this scenario for 2 more games to get to 300, and it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Infidel
12-13-2010, 12:36 AM
I can't believe people are still thinking that.

His throwing shoulder is trashed.

Sorta puzzling.

singersp
12-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Brett Favre has told teammates and associates that he doesn't believe he can play Monday night, and his NFL-record starts streak will end at 297 games...

I'll believe it when I see it.

Marrdro
12-13-2010, 01:10 PM
You know what is the worst thing out of all this?.......

If the staff was trying a bit of gamesmanship and using the Noodle as a ploy (he might play) so that the Giants had to devote time to both TJ and the Noodle, the Noodle just basically let them off the hook last night when he started texting Mooch and ole Ed about how not only couldn't play if the game was held last night, he also said he probably won't be able to go to Mooch.

Now we see Ole Leslie trying to cover that up.

Back to the worst thing......Why can't this yutz keep his mouth shut? Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm getting tired of his act. :sick: :sick: :sick:

V1K1NG L3G3ND
12-13-2010, 01:17 PM
alright i have been wondering this now for a while and i dont think ive seen anyone else talk about it so i was wondering..

cant they just start favre and have him hand it off the first play of the game and then take him out for the rest? he would have his start and the streak would continue. Cal Ripken did that a few times to keep his streak alive.
Is that not allowed in the NFL?

Marrdro
12-13-2010, 01:22 PM
alright i have been wondering this now for a while and i dont think ive seen anyone else talk about it so i was wondering..

cant they just start favre and have him hand it off the first play of the game and then take him out for the rest? he would have his start and the streak would continue. Cal Ripken did that a few times to keep his streak alive.
Is that not allowed in the NFL?
First, I don't remember Ripken getting a few token starts. Not saying it didn't happen, I just don't remember.

Second. I think a token start is just that, a token start and shouldn't count for crap, just like the token sack the Noodle gave a certain DE that was trying to break a record.

V1K1NG L3G3ND
12-13-2010, 01:28 PM
oh well who cares about that? a token start is still a start

keep the streak alive brett! 300!

Marrdro
12-13-2010, 01:37 PM
oh well who cares about that? a token start is still a start

keep the streak alive brett! 300!
I think there are alot of people who care my friend. I know I don't recognize records that are achieved by cheating or doing something that isn't inline with what it takes to get that record.

Again, a token start by the Noodle would be a joke and would just increase how much our team is being laughed at around the league because of the loss of integrity that would come with it.

ejmat
12-13-2010, 01:49 PM
I have something to ponder over. What if the Metrodome is not ready for next Monday night. They play the Bears. Instead of playing in Detroit, what if they played in Green Bay? Brett Favre's last HOME game would be in Green Bay as a Viking. That would be like another slap in the face. I bet GB fans would be rooting for us too since they need the Bears to lose. LOL.

Marrdro
12-13-2010, 02:09 PM
I have something to ponder over. What if the Metrodome is not ready for next Monday night. They play the Bears. Instead of playing in Detroit, what if they played in Green Bay? Brett Favre's last HOME game would be in Green Bay as a Viking. That would be like another slap in the face. I bet GB fans would be rooting for us too since they need the Bears to lose. LOL.
Oh thanks. What was starting out to be a OK day, just got worse.

ejmat
12-13-2010, 02:12 PM

LOL. Sorry bud! I just thought that would be pretty ironic.

snowinapril
12-13-2010, 02:58 PM

LOL. Sorry bud! I just thought that would be pretty ironic.

NO WAY we play in Det for the Chicago game. That would be a homefield advantage for Chicago. Chicago fans would make that trip easy. Greenbay is even too close. I don't know what the solution is, but I hope those two aren't part of the equation.

We will see if Favre plays this week or for the rest of the season. He might just want to collect that paycheck and cash in the season. He will be sitting on the sideline thinking of how many lawnmowers he can buy in retirement.

Caine
12-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Quick hits:

1: Token starts shouldn't start...nor should Favre accept it if he has any integrity (And I think he does). If he starts, he better be there to play the whole game (Barring a re-injury). If not, suck it up and move on.

2: Texts to Mooch and gamesmanship...do you believe the text? Do you believe he can't go? I, for one, think we'll see Jackson...but Favre has payed through so much, he might just surprise everyone.

But, if you're New York, do you ignore the possibility?

Not on your life.

Favre's text ruined nothing. It just stirred the pot. If anything, it made it worse for NY because they won't have time to adjust regardless of what happens now...too damn much snow!!!

Caine

Infidel
12-13-2010, 04:46 PM
I agree that Favre's text served only to stir the pot.

I'd add that it could even have been intentional pot-stirring.

But I'm AMAZED that people are still even discussing this.

I've been saying ALL WEEK that Favre would not be able to play.

I've also said all week that Frazier would NEVER give Favre a token start......and both Favre and Frazier have too much integrity to be so dishonest.

Also.....

Practical reasons:

1. That particular injury will not allow Favre to throw at an NFL level for at least 2 weeks, probably a month. I had a similar injury and couldn't throw right for months.

2. Token start is out because this will be more of a rushing game than a passing game. If one team gets a good lead there will be almost no chance of catching up.

Therefore, we can't afford to waste any plays early in the game.

Strange, not one other poster here has figured this stuff out....I've been saying it all week and I'm not even that smart.

What the hell HAPPENED to the rest of you?

Marrdro
12-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Quick hits:

1: Token starts shouldn't start...nor should Favre accept it if he has any integrity (And I think he does). If he starts, he better be there to play the whole game (Barring a re-injury). If not, suck it up and move on.

2: Texts to Mooch and gamesmanship...do you believe the text? Do you believe he can't go? I, for one, think we'll see Jackson...but Favre has payed through so much, he might just surprise everyone.

Not on your life.

Favre's text ruined nothing. It just stirred the pot. If anything, it made it worse for NY because they won't have time to adjust regardless of what happens now...too damn much snow!!!

Caine
So you think a NFL player should be sending out stuff contrary to what the team is putting out?

Leslie says he could still play. The Noodle says he can't play. Sounds like someone isn't on the same page.

My guess, the confusion is coming from someone texting friends in the media, leaking information that he shouldn't be leaking or should be coming from the team vice a single player.

Of course, you could say thats all BS if you believe the Noodle should get special treatment in this area as well.

Mr Anderson
12-13-2010, 06:21 PM
I won't recognize the streak after 297 if it's a token start.

But Favre's been known to pull that kind of stuff. Strahan's single season sack record anyone?

Marrdro
12-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Favre has told some, including a USA Today reporter, that he doesn't think he will be able tonight against the New York Giants. Vikings interim coach Leslie Frazier said in a text message this morning that "there's a chance [Favre will play] because he's Brett, but he still has pain. We will see."

Frazier: There's a chance Favre plays
(http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/111789174.html)
Hey Coach Frazier. Get your chucklehead QB under control or get on the same message he is on. Your just making the organization even sillier than it already is looking of late by not getting this under control.

Marrdro
12-13-2010, 06:31 PM
I won't recognize the streak after 297 if it's a token start.

But Favre's been known to pull that kind of stuff. Strahan's single season sack record anyone?
Another record that is a joke because of that little incident.

Marrdro
12-13-2010, 06:36 PM
What the hell HAPPENED to the rest of you?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, I don't know, lets ask Coach Frazier what is wrong with us.....

Marrdro: Hey coach Frazier, the Infidel asked a question. Are we all nuts in supposing that the Noodle might go just to keep the streak alive or atleast try to give it a shot just cause he the Noodle?

Vikings interim coach Leslie Frazier said in a text message this morning that "there's a chance [Favre will play] because he's Brett, but he still has pain. We will see."

Marrdro: Thanks coach. Thats what I thought I'd been reading all week long.

Coach Frazier: Hey Marrdro, I recommend that you have the Infidel go get his eyes checked cause thats what we've been saying all week long. He must have bad eyes or something.

Marrdro
12-13-2010, 06:43 PM
FIRST DOWN:

Call me a cynic, but I'm not buying Favre's texting tour of national media outlets on Sunday. His thumbs have to be tired after spending the day saying he wouldn't have been able to play if the game had been on Sunday, and that he doubts his sprained shoulder will allow him to play tonight.

But if you look at what he actually said to USA Today, it's just Favre being Favre. When asked if the extra time will help him, he said, "I doubt it, but it does buy a little time."

What to make of Favre's texts
(http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/111796449.html)
So Craig, I ask the same question I asked the Infidel. Are we crazy or is there alot of stuff out there telling us that the Noodle could still go?

Craig:
Maybe it's just me, but when I look at that sentence, I focus more on the words "it does buy a little time" than I do on the words "I doubt it."

Marrdro: OK, thanks. Just wanted to clear that up.

Craig: Have you asked the Infidel if he is having eye problems?

Marrdro: Nope, funny you should ask though, Coach Frazier just asked the same question.

Caine
12-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Quick hits:

Not on your life.

Caine
So you think a NFL player should be sending out stuff contrary to what the team is putting out?

Leslie says he could still play. The Noodle says he can't play. Sounds like someone isn't on the same page.

My guess, the confusion is coming from someone texting friends in the media, leaking information that he shouldn't be leaking or should be coming from the team vice a single player.

Of course, you could say thats all BS if you believe the Noodle should get special treatment in this area as well.

Again, who's to say?

The only person really getting their knickers in a knot over this is you...I don't give a rat's ass if Favre texts everyone (even Jen Sterger) and says, "Nope, can't play"...then Leslie gets up 2 minutes later and declares he's the starter...

I simply don't care.

Mostly because I - as a fan - don't have the RIGHT to know, and secondly, I understand that they want to NOT broadcast everything to the Giants. They want to keep them guessing.

You just get all uppity because it's Favre, and everything Favre related disconnects your higher thought processes.

Caine

Marrdro
12-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Quick hits:

Not on your life.

Caine

Again, who's to say?

The only person really getting their knickers in a knot over this is you...I don't give a rat's ass if Favre texts everyone (even Jen Sterger) and says, "Nope, can't play"...then Leslie gets up 2 minutes later and declares he's the starter...

I simply don't care.

Mostly because I - as a fan - don't have the RIGHT to know, and secondly, I understand that they want to NOT broadcast everything to the Giants. They want to keep them guessing.
You just get all uppity because it's Favre, and everything Favre related disconnects your higher thought processes.

Caine
Obviously you don't..........

Anyways, nope, I get uppity when someone is saying something completely different than what the FO pukes and HC are putting out.

Go back and look at instances were someone like Whinny was spewing forth his stuff that was completely different than what the headshed was saying.

Infidel
12-13-2010, 07:53 PM
Marrdro said:

Anyways, nope, I get uppity when someone is saying something completely different than what the FO pukes and HC are putting out.

Who cares? Get as uppity as you want. Favre and the coaches are just having some fun with the Giants.

Your Favre hate is showing again.

The poor guy has a trashed shoulder, he won't get to play, his streak is over.....and all you can do is continue your pathological Favre-bashing.

Gosh, get a grip.

Marrdro
12-13-2010, 07:57 PM
Marrdro said:

Who cares? Get as uppity as you want. Favre and the coaches are just having some fun with the Giants.

Your Favre hate is showing again.

The poor guy has a trashed shoulder, he won't get to play, his streak is over.....and all you can do is continue your pathological Favre-bashing.

Gosh, get a grip.
Yea right. HC's all around the league use thier starting QB to put out mixed signals all the time. (That was sarcasim by the by)

Infidel
12-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Of course they do.

Why not?

Marrdro
12-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Report: Brett Favre 'doubtful' for tonight, Vikings coach Leslie Frazier says
(http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_16848011?source=rss&nclick_check=1)

Marrdro: Wait a minute, wait a minute. Whats up with this coach. I thought the Infidel told us you and the Noodle weren't on the same page cause you were using him to confuse the Giants.

Coach Frazier: Comeon Marrdro. You know that kindof stuff doesn't happen that way. Besides, isn't that the cat who has poor reading glasses or something like that? Why you listening to him.

Marrdro: My bad coach. Won't let it happen again. You, TJ and the rest of the team, go make us proud coach. ;)

Infidel
12-13-2010, 08:20 PM
Infidel: Coach Frazier, have you really been talking to Marrdro?

Frazier: No, he's lying again. Actually, I had to get a restraining order against the goofy bastard. He was trying to hang out with me and give me advice. Kind of spooky. I think he's one of those pathetic football wannabes who never got to play the game.

Infidel
12-13-2010, 08:39 PM
Infidel: Coach, do you think he's just mad because I figured out a week ago that Brett wouldn't be able to play?

Frazier: Probably. He tries to act like a football expert. He's constantly texting me with advice. He thought I was going to start Brett just to keep the streak going. That's not just stupid, it's insulting to both me and Brett.

ejmat
12-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Infidel: Coach, do you think he's just mad because I figured out a week ago that Brett wouldn't be able to play?

Frazier: Probably. He tries to act like a football expert. He's constantly texting me with advice. He thought I was going to start Brett just to keep the streak going. That's not just stupid, it's insulting to both me and Brett.

ejmat: Infidel, are you stupid or something?
Infidel: Stupid is as stupid does. I just like running.

LOL. Just kidding of course so don't take it personally. I couldn't pass it up.

Infidel
12-13-2010, 08:53 PM
If it was an attempt at humor.....you probably should have passed it up.

Let Marrdro do the humor. He's naturally funny.

jargomcfargo
12-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Just think of the post count Marrdro will have now that he's talking to himself!

snowinapril
12-13-2010, 10:48 PM
Done it is official, INACTIVE!

NFLN reports

Brazilian Rider
12-13-2010, 10:51 PM
:'(

12purplepride28
12-13-2010, 10:53 PM
well there goes tads and marrdros and whoever else's theory that Favre is a self absorbed asshole who only cares about his streak. now he's just a self absorbed asshole who only cares about money. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :D

snowinapril
12-13-2010, 10:56 PM
well there goes tads and marrdros and whoever else's theory that Favre is a self absorbed asshole who only cares about his streak. now he's just a self absorbed asshole who only cares about money. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :D

LOL, you can still argue the self absorbed part if you want.

He didn't need to text mooch he wouldn't play, he could have left it a surprise. Seriously!

Caine
12-13-2010, 11:30 PM

Oh no, they can spin that away and make him self absorbed anyway...

Hmmm...how about, "Favre doesn't like the locker room in Ford Field, so he elected to sit out...the bastard"

or

"Zygi told Frazier that he had to start Favre, but Leslie told him he wouldn't do it, and that Zygi cold hire someone else to be his bitch...because Frazier thinks Jackson is a Pro Bowler and futuire HOF'er."

or

"Favre wanted to spend the game in the announce booth because he says the Vikings are done anyway"

See. There are all kinds of BS lies you can make up, with absolutely NO substance, and SOMEONE will believe them.

Caine

bbqplatypus318
12-13-2010, 11:35 PM
Just to make everybody in here feel a bit older, this is the first time in my living memory as a football fan that Favre has missed a start.

Tad7
12-13-2010, 11:54 PM
OK...well this makes me feel dumb about my rant the other day about how it was the same song and dance. I wouldn't normally talk about a guy who was really injured like that...so I apologize. And I give Favre props for not taking the first snap or first drive or something corny like that.

That being said though, I can't wait for this game to start!!!!!!

marstc09
12-13-2010, 11:56 PM

They will find some way to avoid eating crow but we all know that their face should be all in that shit.

marstc09
12-13-2010, 11:58 PM

+1

I'll believe it when I see it. I bet he'll be in for at least the first series. "Team first" my ass. He wants his glory.

Do you like it well done or medium?

Infidel
12-13-2010, 11:58 PM
Well, as usual, Marddro and Co. will PRETEND they're not eating crow, but we'll all know better.

marstc09
12-14-2010, 12:03 AM
Favre has told some, including a USA Today reporter, that he doesn't think he will be able tonight against the New York Giants. Vikings interim coach Leslie Frazier said in a text message this morning that "there's a chance [Favre will play] because he's Brett, but he still has pain. We will see."

Frazier: There's a chance Favre plays
(http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/111789174.html)
Hey Coach Frazier. Get your chucklehead QB under control or get on the same message he is on. Your just making the organization even sillier than it already is looking of late by not getting this under control.

Oh shut up. You think Favres shit is getting sickening? Look at your posts. They are beyond sick.

NeoVikesTX
12-14-2010, 12:35 AM
I can't WAIT for TJack to throw his first jump-pass interception of the game.

V4L
12-14-2010, 12:41 AM

Why would you wanna see this?

Mr-holland
shame shame shame. Sometimes I just wonder, do these people even use common sense? Root for your TEAM boy!!!

Infidel
TJ is looking good.

Don't underestimate him.

He's getting help from the old master Brett.

NeoVikesTX
12-14-2010, 12:48 AM
It's called sarcasm guys. Geez. Trying to be like all the Favre haters out there.

ejmat
12-14-2010, 03:21 AM
If it was an attempt at humor.....you probably should have passed it up.

Let Marrdro do the humor. He's naturally funny.

You're right. I'm not funny. I was actually being serious and trying to mask it with that just joking statement.

Is life a box of chocolates for you?

Infidel
12-14-2010, 03:22 AM
Yes, these days it's one constant box of chocolates.

ejmat
12-14-2010, 03:23 AM
OK...well this makes me feel dumb about my rant the other day about how it was the same song and dance. I wouldn't normally talk about a guy who was really injured like that...so I apologize. And I give Favre props for not taking the first snap or first drive or something corny like that.

And now I can't wait for it to end. Are we done sniffing tj's crotch yet?

ejmat
12-14-2010, 03:25 AM

You never know what you're going to get.

marstc09
12-14-2010, 03:26 AM

He will go into hiding just like he did last year.

12purplepride28
12-14-2010, 03:28 AM

Just wait, tjack is really good. He hasn't really been given a chance yet. He doesn't have a good o-line. Harvin was out. blah blah blah

12purplepride28
12-14-2010, 03:28 AM

You never know what you're going to get.

I believe it. I didn't see him once last year

Purple Floyd
12-14-2010, 03:33 AM

That being said though, I can't wait for this game to start!!!!!!how did that work out for you? lmfao

Infidel
12-14-2010, 04:09 AM
It was an interesting game.

Went about like I figured it would.

That trick play when Peterson and Jackson crash into each other surprised me.

I need to see the replay on that.

marstc09
12-14-2010, 04:59 AM
Gonna miss you man! You gave me the best season ever! I will never forget that!

Infidel
12-14-2010, 05:43 AM
I don't doubt that a book will be written about this Viking season.

You couldn't make up the crazy stuff that has happened.

Is it over?

Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it.

It HAS been a wild and crazy ride.

slavinator
12-14-2010, 06:00 AM
Good to see many of the talking heads recognizing and honoring Favre's streak, its an amazing accomplishment. Kudo's to Brett.

Culpepper_4717
12-14-2010, 08:07 AM
Simply amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsoAY2tetqE

Prophet
12-14-2010, 02:58 PM
He had a fun career. His stint in MN aged him faster than the presidency.

Infidel
12-14-2010, 04:41 PM
He wasn't the only one it aged.

He took a lot of people on this ride.

You don't look so young yourself.

:)

brenth25@aol.com
12-16-2010, 06:23 PM
And so ends one of the greatest streaks in the history of American sports and with it, likely, so ends one of the greatest careers of any professional athlete in modern times. Somebody needs to write and say “thank you” and to also place what we’ve seen on and off the football field for nearly 20 years into some context and perspective.

The term “throwback” is one of the more overused terms in sports. It connotes an athlete who shows an unusual degree of toughness; one who personifies what we envision as the man so determined and relentless that he perseveres through any type of pain and conquers any sort of conditions Mother Nature conjures up. We have this videotape that plays in our heads of freezing rain, blinding snow, a bandaged body and a sole warrior who takes the field one final time to perform a seemingly impossible heroic act to save the day for his team.

So the term “throwback” is not misused when referring to Brett Favre.

For the past two decades he has been able to withstand every sort of challenge: environmental, physical and emotional. He has done what so many employees fail to do in the pampered, victimized times in which we live; he has shown up. Showing up matters. No matter what outcomes are, even if they aren’t always positive, even if they are not always wins, there can be no outcome, there can be no chance, unless someone first shows up.

Brett, thanks for showing up.

It has been interesting to watch and listen over the past few years as fan and media support has first gradually and then steadily turned against Brett. Looking at why this has happened gives some sad insight into our culture.

First, it was because he had a hard time deciding on whether or not to retire, then it was because he would not retire as a Green Bay Packer, then it was because he faltered late in the season in New York, next it was because he joined a rival of the Packers (and still because he couldn’t decide about retiring) and, finally, because he has experienced problems off the field with his personal life. The circumstances cry out for perspective.

Anytime anyone questions the character and integrity of someone because they cannot decide quickly or certainly on what they wish to do with their employment career, the person doing the criticizing needs to check their own premises. An athlete who struggles with hanging up their cleats, when that is the only life they’ve ever known and given the attendant celebrity that comes with it, should not be faulted. The fans and the media do not own these people. Playing quarterback is a job and Brett Favre performed his job very well for many years. There are no matters of morality or integrity or obligation to be factored into his decision as to whether or not to keep playing.

As for the vitriol he faced from Green Bay fans when he went to the Jets and subsequently joined the Vikings, shame on all of you. For all those seasons he gave you everything he had each and every Sunday in a way that made it seemed more like we were watching a movie than real life. For that, when he put on another shirt you booed and ridiculed him? I hope that means that not a single one of you would ever take a job, regardless of circumstance, with any company other than the one you work for right now. Don’t say it’s not the same; it’s exactly the same! If your friend, the union Coca Cola driver took a job with Pepsi tomorrow I would hope you would refuse to let him into your home.

The matters in his personal life this season are certainly controversial and saddening. Fortunately, not a single member of the American sports media has ever engaged in any kind of behavior in their personal life for which they might be embarrassed or ashamed so they are able to personally attack Brett on this without any self-examination. Their sanctimony and self-righteousness are undoubtedly well earned. It is good to know that we still have citizens tucked safely into the Fourth Estate who have the ability to cast stones.

The very flawed human life that is Brett Favre’s is one that has been lived, through his own choosing, in the public domain. We have all reveled in it when he was throwing touchdowns after his father’s death, supporting his wife through breast cancer, burying his brother in law, rebuilding his mother’s home after Katrina or overcoming an addiction to Vicodin. Now that his personal life has a story perhaps not so uplifting and inspiring let us try to remember that we all should be judged (by God and not others) on the complete body of our work completed in our lifetime; not just on a moment or an indiscretion.

In my office hangs pictures of people who through their lives, or through the roles they played in their lives, inspire me. They include John Wayne, Sylvester Stallone in character as “Rocky”, Ronald Reagan, Bruce Springsteen and Brett Favre. What unites this diverse group of people or the characters they portrayed was their absolute unyielding commitment to excellence, to finishing, to leaving nothing behind at the end of their performance. They all represent unwillingness to compromise when it comes to doing their work, their way, the best that they can.

In the end, because of his statistics and because of his longevity, discussion about Brett Favre will always revolve around the question: Is he one of the greatest quarterbacks of all time? That is unfortunate. He will always come up short on that list (too many interceptions at too many crucial moments and not enough championships). Remembering him as one of the greatest quarterbacks is completely unnecessary and misses the point of Brett Favre. As a quarterback, he was good enough. But what he really was is the greatest competitor I’ve ever seen.

Thanks, Brett, for the memories and the effort. I’ve watched nearly every pro game you’ve ever played and don’t feel as though I’ve wasted a single minute out of my life.

marstc09
12-16-2010, 06:26 PM
wtf

gregair13
12-16-2010, 06:42 PM
http://knowyourmeme.com/i/21503/original/tldr_trollcat.jpg

i_bleed_purple
12-16-2010, 07:17 PM
http://knowyourmeme.com/i/21503/original/tldr_trollcat.jpg

i_bleed_purple
12-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Favre Ready To Call It A Career (espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/21183/favrewatch-ready-to-call-it-a-career)
By Kevin Seifert

[about playing Monday]"I don't see any change today," Favre said. "... There is still some numbness and discomfort, so ... there's no way I would even consider it with those symptoms still. I think it would be foolish to even think that way."

He also was vague on the protocol for recovery. "I think time would be the best remedy," he said.

[about not playing the rest of the season]"If it is meant to be, it is meant to be," he said. "I am not going to beat myself up over it one way or the other. I know up to this point, I came in and did everything I could do, don't regret it one bit. If it is meant to be over, then so be it."

Seems like this is the most sincere he's been yet. Yeah, we've heard this stuff before, but I think this time he actually means it. He doesn't want to play, his family doesn't want him to play. He's done. Watch from the sidelines, then go home to Mississippi and enjoy more money than most of us will ever see in our whole lives combined.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/minnesota-vikings/09000d5d81cf392f/Favre-talks-career-over?module=HP_video

If this is the end, Favre will have ended the last four seasons with an interception, and ended his time with every team with an interception :(

ejmat
12-17-2010, 01:29 AM
Favre Ready To Call It A Career (espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/21183/favrewatch-ready-to-call-it-a-career)
By Kevin Seifert

[about playing Monday]"I don't see any change today," Favre said. "... There is still some numbness and discomfort, so ... there's no way I would even consider it with those symptoms still. I think it would be foolish to even think that way."

He also was vague on the protocol for recovery. "I think time would be the best remedy," he said.

[about not playing the rest of the season]"If it is meant to be, it is meant to be," he said. "I am not going to beat myself up over it one way or the other. I know up to this point, I came in and did everything I could do, don't regret it one bit. If it is meant to be over, then so be it."

Seems like this is the most sincere he's been yet. Yeah, we've heard this stuff before, but I think this time he actually means it. He doesn't want to play, his family doesn't want him to play. He's done. Watch from the sidelines, then go home to Mississippi and enjoy more money than most of us will ever see in our whole lives combined.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/minnesota-vikings/09000d5d81cf392f/Favre-talks-career-over?module=HP_video

If this is the end, Favre will have ended the last four seasons with an interception, and ended his time with every team with an interception :(

Was his last pass (if any) as a Falcon an INT?

i_bleed_purple
12-17-2010, 01:36 AM
By Kevin Seifert

in 1992, Favre threw 4 passes with two interceptions. in a 56 to 17 blowout, Andre Collins returned a 15 yard Brett Favre interception for a TD for the Redskins at the end of the fourth quarter. in his last game as a Falcon.

NeoVikesTX
12-17-2010, 02:06 AM
Favre's last pass was actually a fumble!

Look at the replay his arm was never moving forward. I know it was slotted as an interception but it was technically a fumble recovery that never hit the ground.

Just sayin'.

ejmat
12-17-2010, 02:56 AM
By Kevin Seifert

in 1992, Favre threw 4 passes with two interceptions. in a 56 to 17 blowout, Andre Collins returned a 15 yard Brett Favre interception for a TD for the Redskins at the end of the fourth quarter. in his last game as a Falcon.

Interesting. Thanks for the info.