PDA

View Full Version : Interesting information on potential PSLs

NodakPaul
12-07-2010, 05:43 PM
I was invited to participate in a survey for the Minnesota Vikings regarding a new stadium design. One of the sections dealt with PSLs.

NOTE: It is important to note that the development of a new stadium is still in the early stages of planning, therefore, no final decisions have been made as to the seating concepts that would be included in the final design or their related pricing.

Anyway, here are the basic sections with ticket price and PSL options from the survey:
http://www.customintercept.com/surveys/web/Images/vikings_psl2.jpg

Club Seats
PSL: $5,000 - $10,000
Tickets: $225-$325 per seat per game

Area A
PSL: $3000-$5000
Tickets: $125-$150 per seat per game

Area B
PSL: $85-$115
Tickets: $2000-$4000 per seat per game

Area C
PSL: $75-$1000
Tickets: $1000-$2000 per seat per game

Area D
PSL: $50-$75
Tickets: $500-$1500 per seat per game

Also, they are considering financing options for PSLs.

Multiple payment options may be available for Personal Seat Licenses, including full upfront payment, payment in installments over 2 to 3 years interest free, or payment of 25% of the Personal Seat License Fee upfront with the balance payable over 5 to 15 years at a reasonable interest rate.

All in all, these numbers are where I expected them to be. There will certainly be PSLs involved with the new stadium, and the prices that they were feeling out didn't seem to be too outrageous when compared to other NFL stadiums. The financing bit helps. And keep in mind that once you buy a PSL, you can resell it, so there is a possibility of recouping your investment if you decide to stop being a ticket holder.

I like the idea of PSLs. They are a viable way to help pay for the stadium (not too much though, probably around $75 million by my estimate). And they create more of a vested interest for the fans. If you spend money on a PSL, you are less likely to jump ship just because of one bad season. The fact that Minnesota has had a twelve year sellout streak WITHOUT PSLs is amazing.

Zeus
12-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Area D

Holy crap, that's an expensive ticket for upper-deck seats!!!

=Z=

Marrdro
12-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Kindof related, however, I was listening to the guys on ESPN talking about teams sending stuff out that said only "General" seating season ticket holders would get thier tickets payment returned if a lockout happened.

Cats with PSL's wouldn't.

NodakPaul
12-07-2010, 07:09 PM
Kindof related, however, I was listening to the guys on ESPN talking about teams sending stuff out that said only "General" seating season ticket holders would get thier tickets payment returned if a lockout happened.

That is 100% categorically untrue.

All general season ticket holders would definitely get their money back. Premium seat holders, which includes club seats and the touchdown club, MAY not - it is up to the individual club (this is because general tickets are currently part of the revenue sharing model, premium seats are not).

Buying a PSL does NOT mean that you have a premium seat.

NodakPaul
12-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Area D

=Z=

Lol. Alright smart ass.

Obviously I flipped the PSL price and the ticket price on a couple of those... :)

Marrdro
12-07-2010, 07:13 PM

All general season ticket holders would definitely get their money back. Premium seat holders, which includes club seats and the touchdown club, MAY not - it is up to the individual club (this is because general tickets are currently part of the revenue sharing model, premium seats are not).

I don't know if its true or not, they were discussion it on Mike and MIke and were referencing something the league sent out.

Edit: Did a quick search........

Commissioner Roger Goodell announced today a league-wide ticket refund policy for any 2011 preseason and regular-season games that are cancelled due to a work stoppage.

The policy would apply to all general admission tickets. Each club would determine its own policies for club seats, suites, and payments for personal seat licenses.

NFL Lockout Ticket Policy (http://www.footballreportersonline.com/2010/11/30/read-nfl-lockout-ticket-refund-policy/)

Guess the PSL returns will be something each team does on thier own.

NodakPaul
12-07-2010, 07:25 PM

I don't know if its true or not, they were discussion it on Mike and MIke and were referencing something the league sent out.

Yup, I am aware of the league decision, and I heard mike and mike talking about it as well, although yesterday, not this morning. You agree mistaking PSLs for premium seats. PSLs apply to all seats, both general and premium. As long as you have a nonpremium seat, the league has mandated that you receive 100% of the ticket price back in the event of a lockout.

Now where the confusion may have come in is in reference to the PSL itself. If you but a PSL for, say, the new york giants this summer, and there is a lockout in 2011, you would get the price of your ticket back, but not the price of the PSL itself. This is because you still actually OWN the PSL. A PSL is a one time fee that a ticket holder buys, which grants them the right to buy season tickets for specific seats. They are transferable and sellable. You would still own the PSL the following year when the games are on again, and wouldn't have to buy the PSL again.

purplepat
12-07-2010, 08:22 PM
Area D

=Z=

Here in Cincinnati (about as conservative a Midwest town as you'll find, and not a great product on the field), the cheapest season tickets average out to $60 per seat, and the majority of the upper deck seats are $68 each. The PSLs for those tickets are $300 and $480 respectively.

NodakPaul
12-07-2010, 08:30 PM
Area D

=Z=

Here in Cincinnati (about as conservative a Midwest town as you'll find, and not a great product on the field), the cheapest season tickets average out to $60 per seat, and the majority of the upper deck seats are $68 each. The PSLs for those tickets are $300 and $480 respectively.

That sounds about right. I expect the PSLs for upper deck to be $500 when the new stadium is built.

If this was how the stadium were to look (I know it is just for survery purposed), I would aim for Area B. Prices are in my range still, and I can swing $2k per seat for a PSL. That is about the upper limit for me though.

Zeus
12-07-2010, 08:33 PM
Area D

That sounds about right. I expect the PSLs for upper deck to be $500 when the new stadium is built.

If this was how the stadium were to look (I know it is just for survery purposed), I would aim for Area B. Prices are in my range still, and I can swing $2k per seat for a PSL. That is about the upper limit for me though.

Area D, baby. Where the real fans are.

=Z=

jmcdon00
12-07-2010, 08:44 PM

Yup, I am aware of the league decision, and I heard mike and mike talking about it as well, although yesterday, not this morning. You agree mistaking PSLs for premium seats. PSLs apply to all seats, both general and premium. As long as you have a nonpremium seat, the league has mandated that you receive 100% of the ticket price back in the event of a lockout.

Now where the confusion may have come in is in reference to the PSL itself. If you but a PSL for, say, the new york giants this summer, and there is a lockout in 2011, you would get the price of your ticket back, but not the price of the PSL itself. This is because you still actually OWN the PSL. A PSL is a one time fee that a ticket holder buys, which grants them the right to buy season tickets for specific seats. They are transferable and sellable. You would still own the PSL the following year when the games are on again, and wouldn't have to buy the PSL again.
That is so wrong. The outrage will be very loud if this actually happens.
It would be like buying a time share only to find out the building is condemned.
Yeah you own it, but you can't use it for anything.
The other problem would be those that opted for a payment plan on there PSL. Making payments during a lockout is not cool.

All and all I don't have any problem with PSL's. It's an agreement between a seller and buyer.

My hope is that first year I'll be able to sell a couple of premium games to pay for the PSL.

Anyhow I better start saving. I intend to be a season ticket holder for life.

NodakPaul
12-08-2010, 03:54 PM

That is so wrong. The outrage will be very loud if this actually happens.
It would be like buying a time share only to find out the building is condemned.
Yeah you own it, but you can't use it for anything.
The other problem would be those that opted for a payment plan on there PSL. Making payments during a lockout is not cool.

All and all I don't have any problem with PSL's. It's an agreement between a seller and buyer.

My hope is that first year I'll be able to sell a couple of premium games to pay for the PSL.

Anyhow I better start saving. I intend to be a season ticket holder for life.

I don't think the outrage would be too terribly loud.

The various stadiums have already sold all of their PSLs. They only get to sell them once (unless the owner chooses to let them deault back to the team). The vast majority of the PSLs that are being bought and sold right now are on the secondary market. The only time that there would be a large number of new PSLs for sale is when a new stadium is built - and that isn't happening anywhere in the next year. Even if the Vikings stadium gets approved, it doesn't even break ground until after next year.

People are trying to make more out of this than it really is. Hell, the secondary market price for PSLs will probably go DOWN in the event of a lockout. New buyers would get a deal.