PDA

View Full Version : Can/Will the Vikings make the Playoffs

NeoVikesTX
12-05-2010, 11:06 PM
At 5-7, can/will the Vikings be able to make the playoffs in 2010? Assuming we win out and end up at 9-7, can we manage a wild card spot? I don't think winning the division is possible anymore since the Bears are at 9-3 and they have to play the Packers head-to-head again.

I know it's unlikely but I will hold out hope until we are mathematically eliminated! We just have to win out and hope some others teams start losing.

Team ahead of us in the Wildcard:

Saints - 9-3
Giants - 8-4
Packers - 8-4
Bucs - 7-4

Thoughts?

dfosterf
12-05-2010, 11:09 PM
No.

i_bleed_purple
12-05-2010, 11:17 PM
No.

The Falcons look like the team to beat, the Saints are still the Saints, the Packers/Bears keep winning. We need breaks, and we're not getting them. Our season is done.

NodakPaul
12-05-2010, 11:30 PM
We are not mathematically eliminated yet - and until we are, then I refuse to quit hoping!

(But my gut says that no, we won't make it. ;) One loss and we ARE eliminated)

RK.
12-05-2010, 11:53 PM
It would take some major loss of players on some teams for us to make it IMO. However the fact we are winning again is enough for me right now. Now that Childress is gone we may have a chance at resigning some of our key players. If we win a couple more games and keep it close in others I think Frazer has a chance to be HC next year which would be OK with me as well.

singersp
12-05-2010, 11:57 PM
We are not mathematically eliminated yet - and until we are, then I refuse to quit hoping!

For that to happen, the Bears would have to lose the remainder of their games, would they not?

BadlandsVikings
12-06-2010, 12:10 AM
No

marshallvike
12-06-2010, 12:16 AM
No

Bill
12-06-2010, 01:03 AM
No. We cannot win the NFC north. Chicago win over Detroit today, officially knock us out of the North race. we can only get a wild card spot and that will be tough. a lot of things have to happen.

But our 2 years run as NFC North champs came to a end today after Chicago won.

acman1
12-06-2010, 01:19 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine
The only thing that worked for me to have the vikes in the 6th seed was...
pack losing out and
tampa going 2-2 and
eagles losing to cowboys twice and 1 other

i_bleed_purple
12-06-2010, 01:29 AM
Using the playoff Machine, the following has to happen:

Vikings win out
Packers lose out
Saints lose out (Can get us the 5th seed)
NYG, Phi, Tampa all lose when possible.

Purple Floyd
12-06-2010, 01:44 AM

Vikings win out
Packers lose out

Doesn't sound good.

i_bleed_purple
12-06-2010, 01:52 AM

Vikings win out
Packers lose out

Doesn't sound good.

In the Scenario I got, we finish 9-7, along with Seattle, Philly, NO, and NYG, who miss the playoffs

GB is 8-8, along with Washington, STL and Tampa. The only team we have a tiebreaker over is Washington I believe.

dfosterf
12-06-2010, 02:10 AM

Vikings win out
Packers lose out

Doesn't sound good.

In the Scenario I got, we finish 9-7, along with Seattle, Philly, NO, and NYG, who miss the playoffs

GB is 8-8, along with Washington, STL and Tampa. The only team we have a tiebreaker over is Washington I believe.

If you are presently without the so-called-curse, I'd suggest you at least consider it as an alternative reality, as this one is not working out so good for you.

So-called "crack" is not for all, but I hear it has at least temporary extraordinary medicinal qualities, and that might work out perfectly for you in this instance.

Vikefan05
12-06-2010, 02:12 AM

Maybe I've had too much of the Kool-Aide, but I can't let it go yet!

VikingMike
12-06-2010, 02:16 AM
Knock yourselves out!

2010 NFL Playoff Machine (http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine)

i_bleed_purple
12-06-2010, 02:25 AM

Vikings win out
Packers lose out

Doesn't sound good.

If you are presently without the so-called-curse, I'd suggest you at least consider it as an alternative reality, as this one is not working out so good for you.

So-called "crack" is not for all, but I hear it has at least temporary extraordinary medicinal qualities, and that might work out perfectly for you in this instance.

what the floop are you talking about

Infidel
12-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Hard to believe that we could beat the Giants and Eagles.

Too hard to believe (although it's possible).

If we can win all our games except those two and give a credible performance in those two (give'em hell).....I see it as a great season, all things considered.

12purplepride28
12-06-2010, 03:03 AM

Vikings win out
Packers lose out

Doesn't sound good.

hahahaha +1 that was the most random post ever. i don't understand it at all

Mr Anderson
12-06-2010, 03:11 AM

Vikings win out
Packers lose out

Doesn't sound good.

hahahaha +1 that was the most random post ever. i don't understand it at all
He must be smoking "so-called 'crack.'"

midgensa
12-06-2010, 09:34 PM
It is virtually impossible for us to make the playoffs at this point. We need the Bears to completely go into the tank and lose out.
We cannot pass the Falcons or the Saints so we it is down to only One wildcard spot at that point. If the Packers win one more game ... then we cannot catch them because of the tiebreaker, so we need them to win the division and we need the Bears to lose out.

Just seems VERY unlikely. There are some "three-way" ties with the Saints that *might* work, but that would require the Saints losing out.

Just not going to happen unfortunately.

Zeus
12-07-2010, 04:14 AM

There's no fucking chance the Vikings make the playoffs this year, no matter what the math says.

=Z=

marstc09
12-07-2010, 05:22 AM

Vikings win out
Packers lose out

Doesn't sound good.

Packer fans never make sense. I lived with them for 29 years. All they do is babble, drool, and drink beer.

marstc09
12-07-2010, 05:24 AM
It is virtually impossible for us to make the playoffs at this point. We need the Bears to completely go into the tank and lose out.
We cannot pass the Falcons or the Saints so we it is down to only One wildcard spot at that point. If the Packers win one more game ... then we cannot catch them because of the tiebreaker, so we need them to win the division and we need the Bears to lose out.

Just seems VERY unlikely. There are some "three-way" ties with the Saints that *might* work, but that would require the Saints losing out.

Just not going to happen unfortunately.

We cannot pass the Bears. They own the tiebreaker over us via division record.

so-cal vike
12-07-2010, 05:58 AM
Packer fans never make sense. I lived with them for 29 years. All they do is babble, drool, and drink beer.

How are you different?

so-cal vike
12-07-2010, 05:59 AM
Just Kidding! :laugh:

jmcdon00
12-07-2010, 06:44 AM
The Vikings could win out: percent they win each games
Giants 50%
Bears 50%
@philly 25%
@Detroit 75%

Odds of Vikings winning out: 4.6875% (.5*.5*.75*.25)

The bears could lose out: Percentage they lose:
Patriots 75%
Jets 50%
@Packers 75%

Odds of Bears losing out if the vikings win out: 28.125% (.75*.75*.5)

Both of these have to happen for the Vikings to have a chance at the playoffs. Odds both happen: 1.138% (.046875*.28125)

After that we need either the Giants or Eagles to lose 3 out of 4, since we already know they lost both lose to the Vikings, we need either to lose 2 out of there other three games.
Eagles(changed all these to 50% cause my head hurt)
@cowboys 50%
@giants 50%
cowboys 50%
Odds of losing 2of3: 50%

Giants
Philly 50%
@packers 50%
@washington 50%
odds of losing 2of3 50%

75% chance one of them loses 3 out of 4.

Overall odds the Vikings make the playoffs: .989% about 1%

If the Vikings take care of their part and win out there is a 21.1% chance they make the playoffs.
Hope is still alive!!!
Atleast that's my theory.

i_bleed_purple
12-07-2010, 08:17 AM
Giants 50%
Bears 50%
@philly 25%
@Detroit 75%

Patriots 75%
Jets 50%
@Packers 75%

None of that matters. We can NOT win the division, we need the Packers to lose out, and for us to beat them for a wildcard spot. Its the only way possible to get in. Bears are a game ahead of the Packers,

If Chicago loses out, and we win out, both teams are 9-7, but Chicago will have a 4-2 divisional record, while we have a 3-3 Divisonal Record. Chicago wins the division.

Then, if Chicago loses out, that means the Packers get at least one more win, putting them at 9-7 as well, and a 4-2 divisonal record, which still beats us, not to mention they win the head-to-head, putting us at third in the division at best.

Chicago can win every game except the next game we play against them, it doesn't affect us in the slightest.GB has to lose out, NO, Tampa, NYG, Seattle and STL all have to finish worse than us.

If that happens, best case scenario, is:

Atlanta: 13-3
Chicago: 12-4
Philly: 9-7
Seattle: 8-8
Minny: 9-7
NO: 9-7

Teams that miss the playoffs:
NYG: 9-7
STL: 8-8
Tampa: 8-8
GB: 8-8
Was: 8-8

NY can easilly win their division too, leaving Philly out, and Chicago could conceivably still get the home field advantage through the playoffs.

ndnorseman
12-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Winning out might be the WORST thing that happens for us.

The Vikings' playoff fate is no longer in their hands. Even if they do win out, regardless of the odds or whatever percentage you want to put on it, they still need GOOD teams to suddenly and mysteriously go into the tank.

So they win out. That puts them at a 9-7 record, but no Playoffs. That also means it puts the Vikings in the lower half of the Draft pick line-up, probably the 20th pick, give or take 5 spots.

That screws them for picking up any one of the top 3 QBs, which I think they need to be going after.

Then again...talking about next season might be a moot point with the lock-out looming, along with the stadium situation, so maybe I should just enjoy whatever wins they can get THIS season.

JMO

singersp
12-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Mathematically: Yes

Will they: Hell, no. The odds are far to great.

snowinapril
12-07-2010, 12:04 PM
Next year = Yes

zindulee
12-07-2010, 01:14 PM
The Vikings will unfortunately be mathematically eliminated if the following happen in Week 14.

Vikes lose to NYG (obviously)

OR

Pukers beat Lions AND Saints beat Rams

Thanks for incorrectly overturning Shanks TD in the 1st GB game f'in refs. We'd be 6-6, GB 7-5 and we're smack dab in the hunt. Yes, I try but I can not let go of this fact.

marstc09
12-07-2010, 04:55 PM
The Vikings will unfortunately be mathematically eliminated if the following happen in Week 14.

OR

Thanks for incorrectly overturning Shanks TD in the 1st GB game f'in refs. We'd be 6-6, GB 7-5 and we're smack dab in the hunt. Yes, I try but I can not let go of this fact.

That game screwed us no doubt. The refs blew that game and our playoff hopes.

Marrdro
12-07-2010, 05:08 PM

The Vikings' playoff fate is no longer in their hands. Even if they do win out, regardless of the odds or whatever percentage you want to put on it, they still need GOOD teams to suddenly and mysteriously go into the tank.

So they win out. That puts them at a 9-7 record, but no Playoffs. That also means it puts the Vikings in the lower half of the Draft pick line-up, probably the 20th pick, give or take 5 spots.

That screws them for picking up any one of the top 3 QBs, which I think they need to be going after.

Then again...talking about next season might be a moot point with the lock-out looming, along with the stadium situation, so maybe I should just enjoy whatever wins they can get THIS season.

JMO
So we should cheer for our team to loose so we can get a better draft pick?

Wow.

I don't know what would be harder to do, cheer for the PUKERS to win if it meant we would get into the playoffs or cheer for the Vikings to loose so we could get a better draft pick that probably won't turn out anyways. :dry:

Marrdro
12-07-2010, 05:10 PM

I knew I liked you for something other than your jello shooters........Looks like its you and me my friend. ;)

jmcdon00
12-07-2010, 05:30 PM
Giants 50%
Bears 50%
@philly 25%
@Detroit 75%

Patriots 75%
Jets 50%
@Packers 75%

None of that matters. We can NOT win the division, we need the Packers to lose out, and for us to beat them for a wildcard spot. Its the only way possible to get in. Bears are a game ahead of the Packers,

If Chicago loses out, and we win out, both teams are 9-7, but Chicago will have a 4-2 divisional record, while we have a 3-3 Divisonal Record. Chicago wins the division.

Then, if Chicago loses out, that means the Packers get at least one more win, putting them at 9-7 as well, and a 4-2 divisonal record, which still beats us, not to mention they win the head-to-head, putting us at third in the division at best.

Chicago can win every game except the next game we play against them, it doesn't affect us in the slightest.GB has to lose out, NO, Tampa, NYG, Seattle and STL all have to finish worse than us.

If that happens, best case scenario, is:

Atlanta: 13-3
Chicago: 12-4
Philly: 9-7
Seattle: 8-8
Minny: 9-7
NO: 9-7

Teams that miss the playoffs:
NYG: 9-7
STL: 8-8
Tampa: 8-8
GB: 8-8
Was: 8-8

NY can easilly win their division too, leaving Philly out, and Chicago could conceivably still get the home field advantage through the playoffs.
I'll try to correct
Packers schedule % they lose
@Lions 25%
@patriots 75%
giants 50%
bears 50%

Odds packers lose out: 4.6875%
Odds Packers lose out and Vikings win out: .2197%
Odds Vikings make the playoffs: .16477% about 1 in 600.
If the Vikings control what they can control, there is a 3.5% chance they make the playoffs.
1 in 600 hundred may seem hopeless, but it's better than winning the lottery and many still bet on that.

ndnorseman
12-07-2010, 06:49 PM

JMO

Wow.

I don't know what would be harder to do, cheer for the PUKERS to win if it meant we would get into the playoffs or cheer for the Vikings to loose so we could get a better draft pick that probably won't turn out anyways. :dry:

Don't get me wrong, Marr.....I'm not cheering for my team to lose. I can't do that, and I would frown on anyone doing it who calls themself a "fan". I'm just thinking out loud about what the ramifications on our Draft would be if we win out when the possibility of a playoff run is eliminated. Does that make sense?

On the other hand, with this possibly being the R.I.P. year for the Minnesota Vikings, it would be nice, for pride's sake, to at least cap it with a winning season.

DAMN IT, why couldn't we have dumped Major Dad earlier, like after the loss to the Jets??? :angry:

*sigh* As always, JMO

Marrdro
12-07-2010, 06:53 PM

JMO

Wow.

Don't get me wrong, Marr.....I'm not cheering for my team to lose. I can't do that, and I would frown on anyone doing it who calls themself a "fan". I'm just thinking out loud about what the ramifications on our Draft would be if we win out when the possibility of a playoff run is eliminated. Does that make sense?

On the other hand, with this possibly being the R.I.P. year for the Minnesota Vikings, it would be nice, for pride's sake, to at least cap it with a winning season.

DAMN IT, why couldn't we have dumped Major Dad earlier, like after the loss to the Jets??? :angry:

*sigh* As always, JMO
OK, I'm tracking my friend. I was doubting a few of your entries I have for you on a couple of spreadsheets. B)

ndnorseman
12-07-2010, 07:05 PM
LOL

Don't you worry about me, my friend.

My outlook during any given season may ebb and flow like the ocean's tide, but my fan-hood runs as deep as the ocean itself!

midgensa
12-07-2010, 08:33 PM

OR

Why do the Saints matter?

Marrdro
12-07-2010, 08:42 PM
LOL

Don't you worry about me, my friend.

My outlook during any given season may ebb and flow like the ocean's tide, but my fan-hood runs as deep as the ocean itself!
Roger, just put your name back on the spreadsheets. Sorry for doubting you.B)

Marrdro
12-07-2010, 08:44 PM
Were ya been of late my friend. Only see a post or two every now and then and I agree with those........Been missing our "Discussions"......:)

midgensa
12-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Were ya been of late my friend. Only see a post or two every now and then and I agree with those........Been missing our "Discussions"......:)

Been working ... alot ... and with a 3-year-old 15-month-old and another baking in the oven ... Christmastime is VERY busy.

Mr Anderson
12-08-2010, 02:37 AM

OR

I wish I never read this.

I'm so incredibly pissed about that call now... and don't forget, they gave the Packers a TD that shouldn't have counted int hat game as well.

Motherfuckers.

Marrdro
12-08-2010, 04:33 PM

Been working ... alot ... and with a 3-year-old 15-month-old and another baking in the oven ... Christmastime is VERY busy.
As I tell Z all the time......Cherish the moments. Pretty soon you'll be giving them the keys to the car, arranging weddings and then listening to police scanners as your kid is out working his beat.

Life was much simpler when they were all at home, safe, making my life very busy.

ManBearPig
12-08-2010, 07:33 PM
I don't care what the math says. They have no chance in H-E-double hockey sticks to make the playoffs this year. That's just the truth that people need to accept.

jmcdon00
12-08-2010, 07:59 PM
I don't care what the math says. They have no chance in H-E-double hockey sticks to make the playoffs this year. That's just the truth that people need to accept.
I disagree, I think there is a 1 in 600 chance.
I'll even put money on it. I'll wager 10 cents at 600 to 1 with anyone. If the Vikings make the playoffs you'll owe me $60. If not I'll owe you 10 cents.

Infidel
12-08-2010, 08:06 PM
Now that Favre has the shoulder injury, our goals have changed.

We just hope TJ can, most important, beat the Lions.

Next most important, take us to a respectable showing against the three tough teams we will play.....possibly beating one of them.

That will be the best season we could now hope for.

ndnorseman
12-08-2010, 08:11 PM
I disagree, I think there is a 1 in 600 chance.
I'll even put money on it. I'll wager 10 cents at 600 to 1 with anyone. If the Vikings make the playoffs you'll owe me $60. If not I'll owe you 10 cents.

LOL jmc...I wouldn't take that bet if it was 1 cent with 600-1 odds. (Yeah, I'm that broke...LOL)

ndnorseman
12-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Now that Favre has the shoulder injury, our goals have changed season just might get better.

There. Fixed it for ya.

Next most important, take us to a respectable showing against the three tough teams we will play.....possibly beating one of them.

Infidel
12-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Don't fix things for me.

Thanks.

Marrdro
12-09-2010, 02:11 PM
Now that Favre has the shoulder injury, our goals have changed season just might get better.

There. Fixed it for ya.

LOL. I need to make a new spreadsheet. I have one for people who crack me up. I need to make one for you cats that get me in trouble for snorting out loud.

Marrdro
12-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Don't fix things for me.

Thanks.
Why, he can't be doing any worse than you are. Heck, I bet he knows about the clocks in the stadiums.

Marrdro
12-09-2010, 02:14 PM
First, love the avatar and screen name.

Second, never give up my friend. Even if we know its time.

NeoVikesTX
12-12-2010, 09:22 PM
Packers lose to the Lions! Rodgers out with second concussion of the season. They have @ Patriots, Giants, and Bears left to play.

We have Giants, @ Eagles, and @ Lions. Assuming we win out, we would own the tiebreaker on the Giants due to head-to-head. So that would mean us and the Saints get the wildcard.

Obviously we need to keep winning, but it could happen!!

Traveling_Vike
12-12-2010, 09:45 PM
Packers lose to the Lions! Rodgers out with second concussion of the season. They have @ Patriots, Giants, and Bears left to play.

We have Giants, @ Eagles, and @ Lions. Assuming we win out, we would own the tiebreaker on the Giants due to head-to-head. So that would mean us and the Saints get the wildcard.

That Pack/Lions game was the single biggest thing standing in our way, aside from managing our own business.

There's still a lot that has to fall our way, but one BIG obstacle is gone.

Infidel
12-12-2010, 10:07 PM
There's still a lot that has to fall our way......

Ah, you are TRULY a master of understatement.

The biggest thing is that we can't beat the Giants and Eagles.

We may have a chance against the Bears, and a pretty good chance against the Lions.....but that doesn't get us there.

So.....maybe Vick gets hurt.....maybe the Giants are messed up by all the confusion and flying from place to place?

Hey, the football takes some funny bounces.

:D

Skol220
12-13-2010, 03:35 AM
Actually, statistically, the likeliness of the Vikings defeating the Eagles or Giants is greater than Detroit defeating the Packers. So I agree that the BIGGEST obstacle is now aside.

Infidel
12-13-2010, 03:40 AM
Actually, statistically, the likeliness of the Vikings defeating the Eagles or Giants is greater than Detroit defeating the Packers. So I agree that the BIGGEST obstacle is now aside.

You said, "Eagles or Giants."

But don't we have to beat the Eagles AND the Giants?

Mr Anderson
12-13-2010, 04:00 AM

Wouldn't we also need the Giants/Eagles to lose out?

If we win out we're 9-7.
If the Packers lose out they're 8-8.
The Giants already have 8 wins, as do the Eagles.

So even if we beat the Giants, Eagles, Bears, and Lions. We need the Giants or Eagles to lose out, finishing 8-8.

Or am I missing something?

Infidel
12-13-2010, 04:02 AM
Missing some valuable study time.

acman1
12-13-2010, 04:58 AM

Wouldn't we also need the Giants/Eagles to lose out?

If we win out we're 9-7.
If the Packers lose out they're 8-8.
The Giants already have 8 wins, as do the Eagles.

So even if we beat the Giants, Eagles, Bears, and Lions. We need the Giants or Eagles to lose out, finishing 8-8.

Or am I missing something?
Pack must lose out no matter what AND
Tampa must go 1-2 no matter what AND
Giants or Eagles now must lose out except Giants vs. Packers
And that's the only way...

Basically the next big problem (besides winning out) is Giants beating the Pack followed by the Bears beating GB the next week.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine

drumhead
12-13-2010, 07:26 AM
I already posted this on the eliminated??? thread so here is the short version of what needs to happen. If you want to read more on my reasoning check the other thread.

Criteria
Vikings - Win Out
Packers - Lose Out
Eagles - Lose Out
Bucs - Lose Out/9-7

Week 14
Giants @ Vikings - Vikings

Week 15
Bears @ Vikings - Vikings
Packers @ Patriots - Patriots
Giants @ Eagles - Giants
Lions @ Bucs - Lions

Week 16
Vikings @ Eagles - Vikings
Giants @ Packers - Giants
Seahawks @ Bucs - Seahawks

Week 17
Vikings @ Lions - Vikings
Bears @ Packers - Bears
Cowboys @ Eagles - Cowboys
Bucs @ Saints - Saints

This all has to happen with the only exception that the Bucs can win 1 of these games and go 9-7 and the Vikings will win the tiebreaker with the better conference winning percentage. The Vikings will also win the tiebreaker with the Eagles because of the head to head win.

NeoVikesTX
12-13-2010, 03:04 PM
So if all this were to happen, then the playoffs would look like this?

NFC South: Falcons
NFC East: Eagles
NFC North: Bears
NFC West: Who cares

#5 Wildcard: Saints
#6 Wildcard: Vikings

Teams that miss the playoffs: Giants, Packers, Bucs.

And not sure what the Eagles have to do with anything. I have them slotted for winning their division, and if we win out (which means we beat the Giants) and have the Giants ONLY beat the Pack for us, then we both end up at 9-7 and we have the tiebreaker due to head-to-head.