PDA

View Full Version : Brad Childress on Vikings: 'I didn't do everything

Marrdro
12-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Brad Childress on Vikings: 'I didn't do everything perfectly, but I felt I coached my way'
(http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_16769071?nclick_check=1)
Not sure. Does this still go into the Vikings Forumn or General discussion forumn? LOL.

Regardless. Some interesting tidbits, especially that the Noodle called the Chiller and that the players wanted PatsRandy gone.

Mr Anderson
12-03-2010, 07:53 PM
It's killing me that the link doesn't work.

Marrdro
12-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Just tested it (again) and it still works.

Mr Anderson
12-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Weird. It's not working for me here or on PFT.

I'll try going straight to the Pioneer Press site.

Edit: Found it.

"Some players came up to me afterward and said, 'Coach, we would have been disappointed if you didn't do something,' " Childress said.

I don't know if you can really take that as "wanted him gone." There's a whole series of disciplinary action you can take before cutting a guy.

Vikings general manager Rick Spielman primarily handles the draft and oversees personnel matters.:lol:
So he was even more worthless than we thought.

I really expected my opinion to change on Childress a little bit with the way you set this one up, Marr, but it really hasn't. I think he's as bad as ever, especially knowing now that Spielman handles the draft.

I think we're a much better team and organization without Childress. I think it's really funny that he says "I didn't do everything perfectly." Please, Brad, enlighten us to what you did do perfectly. Actually let us know what you did greatly or what you even did well.

All the people who were against his firing have two things to hang on to: the 2 division titles. I don't think you can accurately evaluate a coach on a yearly basis when he has the talent that we have to work with. If you look at what the guy on a week to week basis, there might not have been a coach worse than him in the NFL over the past 5 years.

My roommate told me a stat that will forever stick with me, and has fixed my memory of Childress into an intractable state.
Since Brad Childress was hired in 2006, no team in the National Football League has run more plays for zero or negative yards than the Minnesota Vikings.
(No primary source) (http://www.dailynorseman.com/2010/11/25/1835980/since-brad-childress-was-hired-in-2006-no-team-in-the-national)
I'd rather have you, Marstc, and C Mac D on the sideline with Z in the booth and Cajun and Gregair hiding in the cheerleaders' locker room than have Brad Childress anywhere near the Minnesota Vikings.

HEY
12-03-2010, 08:06 PM
Wow! Great read, Marrdro! Nice to see Childress open up a bit.

Childress contends he had many supporters in the locker room, citing the players who reached out to him after his firing.

Childress said he's heard from Steve Hutchinson, Brett Favre, Jared Allen, Chad Greenway, Hank Baskett, Greg Lewis, Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin among others since the firing. Harvin and Childress had a heated confrontation in a practice before the Arizona Cardinals game on Nov. 7, but Childress said their relationship issues were "overblown."

Moss and Childress definitely didn't get along.

Regarding Moss, Childress heard late in the process that Moss was lobbying to owner Zygi Wilf for Childress to be fired, but he was already set on waiving him.

I posted the two most interesting quotes just for you, Mr Anderson. ;)

Marrdro
12-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Weird. It's not working for me here or on PFT.

I'll try going straight to the Pioneer Press site.
I got to it off the PFT site. Still hasn't popped on the "Speedier Sportspyder"....

Marrdro
12-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Wow! Great read, Marrdro! Nice to see Childress open up a bit.

Childress contends he had many supporters in the locker room, citing the players who reached out to him after his firing.

Childress said he's heard from Steve Hutchinson, Brett Favre, Jared Allen, Chad Greenway, Hank Baskett, Greg Lewis, Adrian Peterson and Percy Harvin among others since the firing. Harvin and Childress had a heated confrontation in a practice before the Arizona Cardinals game on Nov. 7, but Childress said their relationship issues were "overblown."

Moss and Childress definitely didn't get along.

Regarding Moss, Childress heard late in the process that Moss was lobbying to owner Zygi Wilf for Childress to be fired, but he was already set on waiving him.
I think that the truth, and not the spin that the mouse (ESPN) put on things will be very enlightening.

Probably won't see much until after the season though.

Mr Anderson
12-03-2010, 08:23 PM
[Deleted]
Oops - see my previous post.

Marrdro
12-03-2010, 08:31 PM
I really expected my opinion to change on Childress a little bit with the way you set this one up, Marr, but it really hasn't. I think he's as bad as ever, especially knowing now that Spielman handles the draft.

Set what up?

Besides, I've been telling you guys about the whole draft process for years and no one wanted to listen to me.

Ricky boy, and the scouts that worked for him found the players, the Chiller just approved/disapproved which ones fit the scheme.

Those were then ranked and Spielman drafted who was available according to his little chart.

Again, everyone seems to think I'm some sort of Chiller defender on here when in fact I have alot of things I don't/didn't like about him.

My only beef about the firing has to do with the fact that I don't like change just for change sake. I am 100% convinced the teams that are consistently good are that way cause they have consistency at the top (FO and HC).

marstc09
12-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Interesting. So Chilly cans Moss before Zygi can be enlighten by Moss on the truth of Chilly. No wonder why Chilly never informed Zygi. Zygi talks to other veteren players after the fact. Chilly still gets canned. Mission accomplished Moss. Thank you. You will be missed.

marstc09
12-03-2010, 08:39 PM

Set what up?

Besides, I've been telling you guys about the whole draft process for years and no one wanted to listen to me.

Ricky boy, and the scouts that worked for him found the players, the Chiller just approved/disapproved which ones fit the scheme.

Those were then ranked and Spielman drafted who was available according to his little chart.

Again, everyone seems to think I'm some sort of Chiller defender on here when in fact I have alot of things I don't/didn't like about him.

My only beef about the firing has to do with the fact that I don't like change just for change sake. I am 100% convinced the teams that are consistently good are that way cause they have consistency at the top (FO and HC).

So Marrdro what has Chilly done right? I am dying to know what you think he does. You seem to have an excuse that Chilly does not do that for a lot of things. Example: Motivation and rallying the troops.

AngloVike
12-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Even after the ugly 31-3 loss to Green Bay on Nov. 21 that cemented Childress' fate, Childress said, he still thought he might have the chance to coach his way back to a respectable record.
Really?? damn there's confidence, stupidity or just plain denial.. which one applies to you Brad?

"It goes back to what Bud Grant told me, the head coach needs to be in control of the 53 guys who play for him," Childress said.

Well thats something that never will be levelled at Childress, especially after the last two preseasons and the absence of players.

Mr Anderson
12-03-2010, 08:49 PM

Set what up?

I meant "set up" with your Moss comment, it seemed like that was going to be a significant part of the article or it was going to be something revealing. I probably extrapolated too much from just what you wrote.

And as far as the Spielman thing goes, I know you've been saying that forever. I just like seeing solid proof of it.

Do you really think this was change for changes sake though? The guy really wore out his welcome with the front office, the players, the fans, and the media. I think it was a change to prevent bigger change, i.e. not getting a stadium and moving to Los Angeles.

I don't think you're a Chilly supporter. I don't think you support any players or coaches in particular. And I wasn't trying to paint you as one, it was just part of the post - most of it wasn't really directed at anyone. I tend to use "you" a lot in reference to any observer, not necessarily who I'm quoting. It's something I should work on, especially since I referred to you(Marrdro) as "you" a couple of times.

jargomcfargo
12-03-2010, 09:04 PM
"I felt I coached my way." Childress.

You sure did Brad.

I wanted to have some empathy for him, after all, the entire franchise had a role in this subpar season.

But for some reason this article and the Childress responses had the opposite effect on me.

Caine
12-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Well, that article didn't do anything to help Chiller's image in my mind. He claims that players "reached out" to him...but isn't that sort of expected? People want to call and make sure he knows that THEY didn't get him fired. That's not really indication of his coaching worth, or of him "having the locker room".

Further, he hedged on everything. Chiller really doesn't accept the blame for anything that happened in that article, and instead tries to spin it to being Moss or the fan's fault...it isn't.

I'm glad he's no longer affiliated with our franchise.

Caine

Infidel
12-03-2010, 09:17 PM
He's still an arrogant twit and shows it clearly in his responses.

His veracity probably equals the amount of hair on his head.

Hail and farewell, Coach Dumb-ass.

Zeus
12-03-2010, 09:58 PM
I'd rather have you, Marstc, and C Mac D on the sideline with Z in the booth and Cajun and Gregair hiding in the cheerleaders' locker room than have Brad Childress anywhere near the Minnesota Vikings.

Am I broadcasting the game or coaching?

I promise you, I'd never get a challenge wrong.

=Z=

Mr Anderson
12-03-2010, 10:16 PM

=Z=
You'd be coaching. I don't think you could call the game without bias.

Not that Aikman does such a great job of it.

Zeus
12-03-2010, 10:21 PM

Ask anyone who's ever sat next to me - I love my team, but I make fair calls.

However, as the Vikings play-by-play caller, I don't have to not show bias.

=Z=

jargomcfargo
12-03-2010, 10:28 PM

=Z=

Dude you'd make an awesome coach. The cheerleaders might come out flat but the team never would.
You'd have them fired up like a redneck pig roasting pit.

Mr Anderson
12-03-2010, 10:29 PM

=Z=
I'm not talking about making fair calls. I don't think you could resist cheering when we score.