PDA

View Full Version : Leslie Frazier As Vikings Head Coach

HEY
11-22-2010, 08:51 PM
How does Leslie Frazier affects the Vikings as Head Coach?

I know that I'm not the only one excited to see what Leslie Frazier brings to the table.

Despite the fact that I don't completely agree with Leslie Frazier's defensive scheme and sometimes passive play-calling. I think Leslie Frazier brings something to the table that Brad Childress didn't.

1. Respect

Almost all the players that have commented on the coaching change have praised Frazier's leadership and they say that he's very respected by the players and coaches.

Quote from Adrian Peterson:

Leslie is a good man and will do a great job as the interim coach. He’s got great football smarts and players can relate to him and vice versa. He has a certain vibe and energy that everyone can feel when they’re around him. When he speaks, guys perk up and tune in.
More Player Reactions To Coaching Change (http://blog.vikings.com/2010/11/22/player-reaction-to-coaching-change/)

2. Player Interaction

Leslie Frazier has a long resume in the NFL and has had great success as both a coach and a player. That is something Childress did not. Frazier has been a NFL player and can relate much more to the players.

Leslie Frazier’s Background (http://blog.vikings.com/2010/11/22/vikings-relieve-childress-name-frazier-interim-head-coach/)

3. Discipline

This is something I think Leslie Frazier can improve. The Vikings offense has been riddled with penalties, but the defense has been very good in that area.

4. Offensive play-calling and clock management

This is the most important part the Vikings need to improve, but I also have no idea how Leslie Frazier will handle it. I trust him that it can't get much worse than Childress. I want to see more creative and aggressive play-calling.

HEY
11-22-2010, 08:54 PM
According to blog.vikings.com (http://blog.vikings.com/), Leslie Frazier will ask Tony Dungy for a help:

Asked about individuals he might lean on during his time as head coach, Frazier said: “No question that Tony (Dungy) and I will be talking often in the days and weeks to come.

Zeus
11-22-2010, 09:21 PM
HEY wrote:

This is the most important part the Vikings need to improve, but I also have no idea how Leslie Frazier will handle it. I trust him that it can't get much worse than Childress. I want to see more creative and aggressive play-calling.

Since the same guy who was calling the plays this week will be calling the plays next week, I'm not sure how you expect it to get more creative and agressive.

=Z=

marstc09
11-22-2010, 09:25 PM
Zeus wrote:

HEY wrote:

Since the same guy who was calling the plays this week will be calling the plays next week, I'm not sure how you expect it to get more creative and agressive.

=Z=

The HC can absolutely tell Bev to tweak it. Bev was Chillys guy not Leslie. Changes can and will come.

Zeus
11-22-2010, 09:38 PM
marstc09 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

HEY wrote:

The HC can absolutely tell Bev to tweak it. Bev was Chillys guy not Leslie. Changes can and will come.

Leslie: "Hey, stop calling those plays that keep ending up with Favre missing wide-open receivers, okay?"

Yeah. I can see that.

=Z=

Purple Floyd
11-22-2010, 09:40 PM
Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

HEY wrote:

Leslie: "Hey, stop calling those plays that keep ending up with Favre missing wide-open receivers, okay?"

Yeah. I can see that.

=Z=

You are such a Negative Nancy.

marstc09
11-22-2010, 09:46 PM
It is so refreshing to listen to a HC with fire in his voice. Chilly has never had fire.

marstc09
11-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Purple Floyd wrote:

Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

HEY wrote:

Yeah. I can see that.

=Z=

The funny thing is that Marrdro and him actually think that happens every throw.

RK.
11-22-2010, 10:00 PM
I wonder if we are keeping the triangle of authority of if Ziggy is moving to the top of the pyramid?

Zeus
11-22-2010, 10:12 PM
marstc09 wrote:

Purple Floyd wrote:

Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

HEY wrote:

Yeah. I can see that.

The funny thing is that Marrdro and him actually think that happens every throw.

No I don't. But I also don't think every bad throw was because the O-Line didn't give him time.

=Z=

marstc09
11-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Purple Floyd wrote:

Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

HEY wrote:

Yeah. I can see that.

But I also don't think every bad throw was because the O-Line didn't give him time.

=Z=

Neither do I.

Zeus
11-22-2010, 10:22 PM
marstc09 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Purple Floyd wrote:

Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

HEY wrote:

Yeah. I can see that.

But I also don't think every bad throw was because the O-Line didn't give him time.

Neither do I.

Your posts lately sure seem to indicate that.

=Z=

marstc09
11-22-2010, 10:24 PM
Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Purple Floyd wrote:

Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

HEY wrote:

Yeah. I can see that.

Neither do I.

=Z=

Links? Quotes?

12purplepride28
11-23-2010, 12:48 AM
Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Purple Floyd wrote:

Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

HEY wrote:

Yeah. I can see that.

Neither do I.

=Z=

I've seen mars post many times where he admits Favre is playing poorly this year. Just because us "Favre lovers" point out that that the WR play or the O-line play has been poor doesn't mean we ignore the fact that Favre is playing like shit this year.

The thing that I notice a lot on PPO is that the main difference between the pro favre members and the anti favre members is that the pro favres are willing to admit when they are wrong (except infidel of course) and will readily admit that Favre isn't playing well. The anti favres will always hate on him, even when he's in the midst of providing viking fans with one of the best seasons in the history of this franchise (last year, obviously).

Zeus
11-23-2010, 08:50 AM
12purplepride28 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Purple Floyd wrote:

Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

HEY wrote:

Yeah. I can see that.

Neither do I.

=Z=

I've seen mars post many times where he admits Favre is playing poorly this year. Just because us "Favre lovers" point out that that the WR play or the O-line play has been poor doesn't mean we ignore the fact that Favre is playing like shit this year.

The thing that I notice a lot on PPO is that the main difference between the pro favre members and the anti favre members is that the pro favres are willing to admit when they are wrong (except infidel of course) and will readily admit that Favre isn't playing well. The anti favres will always hate on him, even when he's in the midst of providing viking fans with one of the best seasons in the history of this franchise (last year, obviously).

You lumping me in with the anti-Favres I take it?

Because I'm pro-Viking and that's that. No one is free from criticism if they are sucking it up on the field.

=Z=

MaxVike
11-23-2010, 08:56 AM
Zeus wrote:

12purplepride28 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Purple Floyd wrote:

Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

HEY wrote:

Yeah. I can see that.

Neither do I.

=Z=

Because I'm pro-Viking and that's that. No one is free from criticism if they are sucking it up on the field.

=Z=

Hallelujah Z, Hallelujah.

dfosterf
11-23-2010, 09:36 AM
I thought his initial press conference was a home-run.

I was especially impressed with his response to the Favre question.

...Not so much about the decision itself, you guys and gals can and will debate that one, but I liked his delivery.

It was quick, unambiguous, decisive-however you want to put it.

There is some irony in there, because the argument that Brett is at least in part the progenitor of some/much of the discontent on your team is a legitimate position, imo--
along with his production, but like I said, that is your argument, not mine.

So, props to your new head coach for striking a good tone in the leadership department.

pack93z
11-23-2010, 09:53 AM
I stated this several times and a few weeks ago as Formo asked.

Frazier is the last guy I want to see take the reins of the Vikes.

And that day is here.. damn it.

I think he can garner control of some of the breakdowns of this "team" inside the locker room and restore some unity.

That probably doesn't solve all the on field issues, but I would be surprised if it doesn't carry over and impact the play between the white lines in a hurry.

Does that salvage this season.. probably not.. but it will help shape some of the decision for the next.

The Dungy tree just grew.

Freya
11-23-2010, 10:09 AM
Q: Who will be the quarterback on Sunday?

A: Brett Favre. There is no hesitation for me in that regard. Brett is a tremendous quarterback. He has been a leader of our football team in the year and a half that he has been with us. There are some things that we have to do as a group to help support Brett. That will be my message to our football team. Brett Favre will be our starting quarterback on Sunday.

http://kstp.com/article/stories/s1850911.shtml

This seems to me to be a clear indication that there is a lack of support for Favre on the field. The other 10 players need to step it up a notch or 12.

This is not to say that Favre doesn't have some improvements that can be made on his play, but for pity sake, the receivers need to WANT that reception and the oline needs to WANT to protect the QB or make those holes for our RBs.

Hopefully, putting Frazer in charge will inspire the team in every respect and in every position; from the waterboy to the HC and everyone inbetween. We need it.

marshallvike
11-23-2010, 02:31 PM
VIVA LE LESLIE!!!

will 9-7 get us in?

marstc09
11-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Freya wrote:

Q: Who will be the quarterback on Sunday?

A: Brett Favre. There is no hesitation for me in that regard. Brett is a tremendous quarterback. He has been a leader of our football team in the year and a half that he has been with us. There are some things that we have to do as a group to help support Brett. That will be my message to our football team. Brett Favre will be our starting quarterback on Sunday.

http://kstp.com/article/stories/s1850911.shtml

This seems to me to be a clear indication that there is a lack of support for Favre on the field. The other 10 players need to step it up a notch or 12.

This is not to say that Favre doesn't have some improvements that can be made on his play, but for pity sake, the receivers need to WANT that reception and the oline needs to WANT to protect the QB or make those holes for our RBs.

Hopefully, putting Frazer in charge will inspire the team in every respect and in every position; from the waterboy to the HC and everyone inbetween. We need it.

Great post. I found that quote interesting myself.

Infidel
11-23-2010, 10:45 PM
The team has a challenge now.

If they flop.....people will say, "See, it wasn't Childress!!"

The boos will then be aimed at players. SPECIFIC players who are seen as problems.

The players know that.

It will motivate them better than any motivational speech, that's for sure.

The only question is....as much as they want to.....CAN they get organized and pull together with some success as a real team on Sunday?

I think it's quite possible. They don't want to be the target of the boos.

And the Redskins, while being a darn good team, also have a lot of injuries and a fairly vulnerable secondary.

It will be fascinating to watch and I look forward to it.

HEY
11-24-2010, 04:47 PM
Leslie Frazier has announced that there is no official defensive coordinator at the moment. All Defensive Coaches Will Instead See Role Increase (http://blog.vikings.com/2010/11/24/all-defensive-coaches-will-see-role-increase/).

... but linebacker coach Fred Pagac will become the the closest thing to a defensive coordinator as he will call all the plays on defense.

Infidel
11-25-2010, 02:05 PM
Things have been so ugly this year at times.....

I think we have every right and good reason to think good things may happen on Sunday.

One thing that bothers me is Favre having the flu.....and being in close contact a lot--how many other Vikings might have the flu and could their play be impacted on Sunday?

Don't these guys have to get flu shots???

Purple Floyd
11-25-2010, 03:02 PM
No where to go but up.

It feels like the post Steckel era all over again.

Good thing the F O was bright enough then to pull the plug after the first season.

Mr Anderson
11-25-2010, 05:10 PM
No where to go but up.

It feels like the post Steckel era all over again.

Good thing the F O was bright enough then to pull the plug after the first season.
I can't say I remember the post steckel era, but this feels good.

jrjohn
11-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Favre has the flu or had the flu?

battleaxe4cheese
11-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Favre has the flu? Well at least be didn't get std's from sexting. :huh:

battleaxe4cheese
11-25-2010, 07:34 PM
I would like to see Leslie succeed as a head coach but don't believe he will. How many opportunities has he had for interviews and not one taker. Not one. Is he a poor interviewer or does he just not impress anyone. I don't know.
Next point how has his aspect of the team been doing this year? Defense has been less than impressive thus far and don't see them getting much better in six games. I like this guy way more than the bald eagle and has twice the personality which ain't saying too much. I would love to see him succeed but I doubt he will in this situation. I hope I am wrong. I don't believe zygi plans on making him head coach anyway. Baring a monster finish this year his fate is sealed.

12purplepride28
11-25-2010, 09:44 PM
12purplepride28 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Purple Floyd wrote:

Zeus wrote:

marstc09 wrote:

Zeus wrote:

HEY wrote:

Yeah. I can see that.

Neither do I.

=Z=

=Z=

Almost all of us are pro-viking. Doesn't mean we can't like specific player. There isn't one specific member on this board that doens't have a favorite player. Vikings>one player, everyone knows it. The problem comes when someone that you may not necessarily like (Favre) is doing well, you still hack on him.

HEY
11-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Offense Could Change With Childress Gone (http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Offense-Could-Change-With-Childress-Gone/1bb78ab7-73b8-4ed7-9a24-90573b6610fc)

Childress called the Vikings' offensive plays in 2006 before turning over those duties the following season to Bevell, a former college quarterback who broke into the NFL as an offensive assistant with the Packers in 2000.

However, Childress, who favored a run-first version of the West Coast offense, only partly relinquished control. He was heavily involved in game-planning meetings, held a play sheet on the sideline and communicated constantly with Bevell on game days, at times relaying the precise play he wanted to call.
Look at that everyone! On the contrary of what many of you believed, Childress was heavily involved in the play-calling. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping Childress was the person who was responsible for the bad decisions. ;)

dfosterf
11-27-2010, 03:35 PM
Offense Could Change With Childress Gone (http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Offense-Could-Change-With-Childress-Gone/1bb78ab7-73b8-4ed7-9a24-90573b6610fc)

Childress called the Vikings' offensive plays in 2006 before turning over those duties the following season to Bevell, a former college quarterback who broke into the NFL as an offensive assistant with the Packers in 2000.

However, Childress, who favored a run-first version of the West Coast offense, only partly relinquished control. He was heavily involved in game-planning meetings, held a play sheet on the sideline and communicated constantly with Bevell on game days, at times relaying the precise play he wanted to call.
Look at that everyone! On the contrary of what many of you believed, Childress was heavily involved in the play-calling. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping Childress was the person who was responsible for the bad decisions. ;)

Yes. All the good decisions were Bevell's and Favre's. All the bad ones were Chilly's. :P

I'm going to go ahead and ignore all the complaints I have read that the Vikings were too predictable on offense, and instead embrace the new concept (which is approximately 6 days old) that the Vikings offense was too complicated, and must be simplified. I have to say, though, it wouldn't hurt if the players played better, regardless of who is calling what, imo :P

Infidel
11-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Look at that everyone! On the contrary of what many of you believed, Childress was heavily involved in the play-calling. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping Childress was the person who was responsible for the bad decisions.

No doubt Childress was responsible for, not just the bad decisions, but a lot of penalties for delay of game and a general state of chaos and confusion due to his play-changing and arguing.

Hail and farewell to the little psycho colonel.

marstc09
11-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Zeus wrote:

HEY wrote:

=Z=

lol

marstc09
11-28-2010, 10:33 PM
For some reason I can't quote dfosterf and his post from a couple posts above. I got a chuckle out of it though after today's game.

V4L
11-28-2010, 10:59 PM
Look at that everyone! On the contrary of what many of you believed, Childress was heavily involved in the play-calling. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping Childress was the person who was responsible for the bad decisions.

No doubt Childress was responsible for, not just the bad decisions, but a lot of penalties for delay of game and a general state of chaos and confusion due to his play-changing and arguing.

Was Leslie responsible for the delay of game and the Cook false start today?

B)

marstc09
11-28-2010, 11:24 PM

B)

Cook is a penalty machine. Funny how we had no penalties until he got one.

The penalties were under control today. Leslie was responsible for that.

singersp
11-29-2010, 12:38 PM

B)

+1

Some want to blame Childress for every bad thing that went wrong.

Delay of game penalties all Childress fault? LOL!

Arguing? How much arguing did you see Childress involved in on the sidelines other that the Childress-Favre spat of 2009?

We know Childress was a bad coach, but most of us are smart enough to know that he alone wasn't the cause of all those penalties & poor QB/player play.

singersp
11-29-2010, 12:44 PM

How many penalties has Cook had so far this season? Link?

marstc09
11-29-2010, 05:09 PM

How many penalties has Cook had so far this season? Link?

How often has Cook played this year? Better yet how many snaps has he played? Cook has 2 penalties. No link needed. It is very simple. Go to nfl.com and look at the play by play. Search Cook. Not very hard at all.

Point is Cook was a penalty machine last year. He is now playing full time. It is worth noting.

Infidel
11-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Most important of all.....we won the game.

With Childress we had a LOT of penalties in every game.....and we lost most of them.

The conclusion is obvious.

Childress was a disaster......Frazier has a LOT of promise.

Brewtal
11-30-2010, 12:55 AM

B)

+1

Arguing? How much arguing did you see Childress involved in on the sidelines other that the Childress-Favre spat of 2009?

We know Childress was a bad coach, but most of us are smart enough to know that he alone wasn't the cause of all those penalties & poor QB/player play.

I find this response rather amussing. First of the penalties where way down this game. Dissapline, something Chilly had none off. Childress liked to go after his players during the press conference raahter then during games. And finally, actully yes the coach is responsable for poor QB/player play.

HEY
11-30-2010, 09:13 PM
I noted many changes in the first game with Childress gone. What's even better, ALL of them were positive changes. (Remember, the following is only based on one game!)

Play Calling And Game Planning

The offense used run-fakes and bootlegs much more than usual with great success. I had completely forgot how comfortable Brett Favre looks out of the pocket. I used to hate watching him run those plays against us when he played for Green Bay. I don't understand why Childress didn't want to call those plays when we have the most feared back in the NFL with a QB who is excellent outside the pocket.

Anyways, it seems that Bevell is more in control of the offense than ever, but I think him and Favre are also working great together. It won't surprise me if Favre was the one who came up to Bevell and said something along the lines...

Favre: "Hey, fella! We should call more bootlegs 'cause I feel real comfortable with it!"

Bevell: "Yeah sure, you know what works best for you. It's not like you're a former bald head coach who has never played a snap in the NFL and started coaching in this league eight years AFTER you first started playing in the NFL"

[Percy Harvin walks in the door]
Harvin: "wut up G's! This' a miracle, my headaches aint't no mo'!"

Ummmm... I might have been a little carried away there...

Back to seriousness:
The run-pass ratio was another part of the play-calling that was improved. Childress didn't see it, but the Vikings are a run first team and they should stay that way no matter if Sidney Rice and Brett Favre are healthy or not.

Many of you have been aksing asking who calls the plays on offense every since Childress arrived here. Well... I can say this: After the Redskins game, it should be apparent to everyone that Childress had a lot of influence on the offensive play-calling after we saw a significant different style of offense against the Redskins.

As for the people who currently influence the play-calling: Based on many articles and other sources, this is how I think it works (in order of influence and authority):

1. Offensive Coordinator Derrell Bevell.
It seems like Leslie Frazier is giving Bevell a lot of freedom, which is a good thing. In reality, Bevell is the ultimate decision maker (except from on-field-adjustments that Favre sometimes makes before the snap.) As of now, Frazier is a very defensive minded head coach, but he might involve himself more as we go deeper into the season.

2. QB coach Kevin Rogers.
I don't think many fans even know this guy. He has a ton of experience and the Bears were pursuing Kevin Rogers as offensive-coordinator (http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/01/bears-pursuing-vikings-qb-coach-kevin-rogers-for-offensive-coordinator-post.html) this year.

3. Quarterback Brett Favre. Few players have a huge influence to the play-calling, but I think Favre is one of them, especially after Childress is gone. Think about it! why shouldn't he? The coaches would be stupid not to listen to Favre as Favre has probably more knowledge about an offense than most other coaches. Also, Leslie Frazier has on several occasion expressed that he wants Brett Favre involved in the game-planning (scroll down for link).

4. Other offensive coaches. Eric Bieniemy, Pat Morris, Jim Hueber, Jimmie Johnson, George Stewart... those guys.

5. Head Coach Leslie Frazier. You are probably thinking "WHAT!? He should be at the top!!!". Authority wise, you're right, Frazier should be on the top since he's the Head Coach. However, I think he has little influence on offense as he has even expressed that he wants the offensive coaches to run their own ship while he's slowly incorporated.

Vikings Offense Disciplined and Sound In Victory (http://blog.vikings.com/2010/11/30/frazier-pleased-with-effective-communication/)

Mentality And Performance

Not only did the Vikings look fresh and motivated, but the improvement of execution was obvious just by looking at the numbers. Zero turnovers and just 3 penalties for 15 yards must be a team record low this season. These are the areas which has cost the Vikings many losses. In fact, no other team has more interceptions against them than the Vikings who are also leading the NFL in penalties.

Many people thought the excessive penalties would decrease with the arrival of Childress, but ironically it looks like it might decrease with the departure instead.

Vikings Offense Disciplined and Sound In Victory (http://blog.vikings.com/2010/11/29/vikings-offense-disciplined-and-sound-in-victory/)

HEY
11-30-2010, 09:33 PM
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that no stupid challenges were made and clock-management worked like clockwork (pun definitely intended)

Zeus
11-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention that no stupid challenges were made and clock-management worked like clockwork (pun definitely intended)

There was nothing controversial to challenge, so that's a non-factor.

And there was a delay-of-game penalty, which, I'm sure is just a residual Childress effect.

=Z=

HEY
11-30-2010, 09:51 PM

And there was a delay-of-game penalty, which, I'm sure is just a residual Childress effect.

=Z=
True, like you said: "There was nothing controversial to challenge". However, Childress have made some stupid challenges before which were not controversial at all. Who knows? Maybe he would have made a challenge on the big pass to Armstrong when M. Williams was undressed as the bad coverage guy he is. You never knew with the bald man.

I just remembered that there was one thing that was a little odd. Kevin Williams called a timeout almost immediately after the second half started. That seemed pretty stupid.

Zeus
12-01-2010, 04:22 PM

True, like you said: "There was nothing controversial to challenge". However, Childress have made some stupid challenges before which were not controversial at all. Who knows? Maybe he would have made a challenge on the big pass to Armstrong when M. Williams was undressed as the bad coverage guy he is. You never knew with the bald man.

Everyone should remember that when a head coach challenges - ESPECIALLY when on the road - it's because an assistant coach has seen something on a replay up in the booth which suggests a challenge should be thrown.

People want to say that Childress makes "stupid challenges" when, truly, he's oftentimes responding to something that the coaches in the booth are telling him they see.

I just remembered that there was one thing that was a little odd. Kevin Williams called a timeout almost immediately after the second half started. That seemed pretty stupid.

I'd rather they call a TO than get burned.

=Z=

Infidel
12-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Yes, the probable explanation is that Williams saw something, knew they were facing a potentially disastrous snap coming up and decided to use a time out just to be on the safe side.

I haven't see any details about that and if anybody has, it would be interesting to know a little more about it.

singersp
12-02-2010, 11:44 AM

B)

+1

I find this response rather amussing. First of the penalties where way down this game. Dissapline, something Chilly had none off. Childress liked to go after his players during the press conference raahter then during games. And finally, actully yes the coach is responsable for poor QB/player play.

You can find it amusing all you want, but we played 1 game since Childress was fired. Winning always makes things look rosier, but what's going to happen & who you going to blame after we lose?

If you think the coach is to blame for bad QB play, then I wouldn't mind hearing how you think Childress made Favre throw all those INT's & fumbles.

If you think the coach is to blame for bad QB play, then obviously you must feel Childress was to blame for any bad play by TJ.

BTW, what Childress says in a PC after the game, has no impact on what happened in the game prior to the PC.

Olsen
12-02-2010, 11:51 AM
[/quote]

You can find it amusing all you want, but we played 1 game since Childress was fired. Winning always makes things look rosier, but what's going to happen & who you going to blame after we lose?

If you think the coach is to blame for bad QB play, then I wouldn't mind hearing how you think Childress made Favre throw all those INT's & fumbles.

If you think the coach is to blame for bad QB play, then obviously you must feel Childress was to blame for any bad play by TJ.

BTW, what Childress says in a PC after the game, has no impact on what happened in the game prior to the PC.[/quote]

I agree with all of this. In any sport when a team is doing badly then 9/10 people look at the coach first then go from there. Ignore interceptions, fumbles and other general bad play and blame it on the coach.

These are highly tuned, very well paid athletes out there who should take more responsibility for the current situation.

singersp
12-02-2010, 12:28 PM

Food for thought. With Childress gone...

Vikings vs. Redskins:

23 passing attempts
38 rushing attempts (22 of which were Gerhart alone)

Of the 15 passes Favre threw that were caught, as previously posted, only 1 of them was for more than 10 yards in the air.

As I mentioned before, the secret to us winning was because Favre did less. They limited how often he threw it & limited how far he threw it.
Ergo, there's was less risk of a turnover & far better ball control.

That only works though, when you have a team that will give up the run. There are only a few teams worse than the Redskins when it comes to giving up the run. Hell, there are few teams worse than the Redskins when it comes to giving up the pass also. That's a big factor in our success against them.

When we face a team that stops the run game, we will be forced to pass more, so it will be interesting to see how we counter those teams & what the outcome will be.