PDA

View Full Version : I like Webb too, but before we get too far ahead..

NodakPaul
09-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Often, the most popular player on a football team is the backup QB. ;) This is one of the rare times that it turns out to be the backup to the back up... :) Everyone LOVES webb. People want him over TJack. People want him as a 4th QB. Anything but regulating him to the practice squad, where he might be Thigpen'd.

Well before we get to far ahead of ourselves, a lot of these comments seem to be awefully close to what we were saying about another young, raw rookie QB that we had...

Not picking on anyone here - just grabbing some random posts from 4 years ago...

http://www.purplepride.org/community/discussion/2-vikings-fan-forum/449933-still-raw-jackson-is-adjusting-quicker-to-nfl-than-expected
SnoBumMN wrote:

If Brad goes down, I wouldn't be suprised to see T-Jak pull a Drew Brees and kick some serious tail.

Prophet wrote:

"It just depends on how hard he pushes and how much he can do (T. Jackson)," Childress said, drawing to mind a well-known line from the movie "Dumb and Dumber." Told the odds were a million-to-one that a beautiful woman would accept his overtures, Jim Carrey dreamily responded, "So you're telling me there's a chance?"

:lol:, go Tarvaris...there is a chance.

http://www.purplepride.org/community/discussion/2-vikings-fan-forum/453840-jackson-given-a-chance-to-move-up
Slade wrote:

What impressed me the most was how calm he was under pressure. When the heat was on, he didn't panic. It showing maturity at a young age. In a few years from now, we may say that T-Jack was the SOD in 06'

Slade wrote:

What impressed me the most was how calm he was under pressure. When the heat was on, he didn't panic. It showing maturity at a young age. In a few years from now, we may say that T-Jack was the SOD in 06'

tastywaves wrote:

Yup, thats the stuff you can't teach.
You've got poise or you don't.
So far, TJ looks good with the ball in his hands.

http://www.purplepride.org/community/discussion/2-vikings-fan-forum/453102-action-jackson

DaVizzles wrote:

I have a felling that Brad Johnson is gonna get hurt sometime during the season and T-Jack is gonna come in a light it up this guy is the real deal im going to buy his jersey im just waiting for S.Jackson to get cut

PEace

whiteboy wrote:

Plain and simple, he is the man, I'm very excited about his potential.

BloodyHorns82 wrote:

He was certainly exciting to watch.... no question about that.
I really doubt he would have looked as good vs the 1st team though.
Overall I was very impressed.
Can't wait to see him as our starter.

cajunvike wrote:

If he is the starter next season, we would have our QB of the future!
Good news for our team, that is for sure!
Pep....Pep who???
LOL

And then there is this idiot...
NodakPaul wrote:

TJ looked good, but not great,
he was certainately better than McMahon or JTO.
But that isn't saying much.
One thing I noticed was that he locked in on his primary recievers early, telegraphing his passes.
This will get better with time though.
I still think we need BJ to stay uninjured this season... TJ simply will not be ready to face 1st teamers yet, and that would leave us riding McMahon's coat tails right into the celler.
:D

Actually most of my posts we pretty pro TJack... I was high on him for the first few years. I was very low on him last year, and I don't know WHAT to think this year.

gagarr
09-03-2010, 01:23 PM
I don't think anyone is crowning Webb the starter or even the leading candidate for next year. Few have written "he's the man" or "he's better than TJ.

I also thought TJ showed promise at first, thinking he would develop, but he didn't in the 4 years he's been with the team. He might even have regressed in some things.

His chances are over and although Webb also might not pan out, he deserves a chance to see what he can do. Whether it's at QB, WR, or KR... we need to see more of the guy.

Nobody can deny the guy is exciting.

midgensa
09-03-2010, 02:02 PM
What does Tarvaris Jackson have anything to do with Webb?

That is right ... nothing.

Zeus
09-03-2010, 02:03 PM
NodakPaul wrote:

Often, the most popular player on a football team is the backup QB. ;) This is one of the rare times that it turns out to be the backup to the back up... :) Everyone LOVES webb. People want him over TJack. People want him as a 4th QB. Anything but regulating him to the practice squad, where he might be Thigpen'd.

Well before we get to far ahead of ourselves, a lot of these comments seem to be awefully close to what we were saying about another young, raw rookie QB that we had...

Not picking on anyone here - just grabbing some random posts from 4 years ago...

Can't find any ZEUS quotes that give Tarvaris the love, can you? HMMMMMMMM?

=Z=
<throws down gauntlet>

gagarr
09-03-2010, 02:11 PM
midgensa wrote:

Other than he might take Webb's spot on the roster, knowing Chilly's crazy enough to continue to support TJ as #2.

NodakPaul
09-03-2010, 04:30 PM
midgensa wrote:

You kind of missed the point... A lot of people are overly excited about Webb. Just like a lot of people were way too excited about TJack four years ago. All too often we see people getting their panties wet over some rookie who has lots of potential and they turn out to be nothing.

Don't like the TJack comparision? How about Blue? Or Thigpen? or Basket? etc. Did you hear the crowd at the dome last night when Webb came in? Have you listened to some of the rubes on the radio? lol - people ignore how amazingly raw he is and act like he is the seconding coming. Outside a couple of runs, he has done little to impress me.

(And this was supposed to be more of a light hearted thread showing how people's opinions have changed...)

kevoncox
09-03-2010, 07:10 PM
I agree. I don't understand the Webb love. He makes long runs. Yes... and some throws but... people he looks raw as hell. Again, i plead to management....give up a first and a 3rd and move up in the 1st and draft a top tier QB.

HEY
09-03-2010, 07:38 PM
I still stand by my statement. If I was an owner of a football team and a guy came up to me and said: "you can choose between Tarvaris Jackson or Joe Webb to have on your team" I would pick Joe Webb.
Come on! Everyone knows that Webb will not make it past the waivers. We already made that mistake not long time ago (Thigpen) and we would be much more foolish to do the same with Webb.

Culpepper_4717
09-03-2010, 07:43 PM
HEY wrote:

I still stand by my statement. If I was an owner of a football team and a guy came up to me and said: "you can choose between Tarvaris Jackson or Joe Webb to have on your team" I would pick Joe Webb.
Come on! Everyone knows that Webb will not make it past the waivers. We already made that mistake not long time ago (Thigpen) and we would be much more foolish to do the same with Webb.

I'll be shanking my head if Webb goes. Chilly just won't admit TJack is a failure. Webb came out this preseason and straight up out played Jackson.

gregair13
09-03-2010, 07:49 PM
I am happy I am not in the list of praise for him. Because then I would have to say I told you so. I will do the same for those who are already sucking on Webb's

i_bleed_purple
09-05-2010, 01:01 AM
I like Webb, but I don't think he's ready.

I think TJ came in with the ability to make more of an impact right away than Webb. Against a real defense, Webb would be destroyed. He's simply not ready, not even close. He's fun as hell to watch, and he's got a cannon, but he's a long way from being ready.

I actually thought TJ might be decent if thrown in right away, I don't think Webb will. He needs time.

ndnorseman
09-05-2010, 01:18 AM
i_bleed_purple wrote:

I like Webb, but I don't think he's ready.

I think TJ came in with the ability to make more of an impact right away than Webb. Against a real defense, Webb would be destroyed. He's simply not ready, not even close. He's fun as hell to watch, and he's got a cannon, but he's a long way from being ready.

I actually thought TJ might be decent if thrown in right away, I don't think Webb will. He needs time.

I don't think anybody wants Webb to start right away. Give him this year to learn under Favre, and then next year, he can compete for the #2 spot. The year after that, if he isn't AT LEAST in solid competition for the starting spot, then he's probably just another T-Jack.

JMO

VikingGlen
09-05-2010, 01:33 AM
We arrived late at the Broncos game because of work, so we missed most of the 1st quarter. The reports we heard about how T-Jack played before we arrived made me think that Webb looked like a god next to him. Going back and watching the game on tape afterwards makes me wonder just what we expect of T-Jack. He went 2 of 8 for 2 yards throwing perfect spirals to receivers who didn't want the ball. What's he supposed to do, run up and hand it to them? He's not that bad. He's just not consistently good.

That said, I'd personally like to see us trade/wave T-Jack and go for broke this year. Bring in T.J.Houshmendzada and Javon Walker, go with 6 wide receivers and 2 quarterbacks. If Favre goes down T-Jack isn't going to bring us to the Super Bowl. If Joe Webb possesses the intangibles; the intellectual capacity and discipline, the ability to see passing windows and read defenses, with his physical skills he has the potential to become one of the greatest QBs who ever played the game. Not to mention that he can learn from arguably the greatest QB who ever played the game.

Favre is our present. Webb our future.