PDA

View Full Version : Why can't Favre repeat or improve over last year?

gagarr
07-02-2010, 11:22 AM
IF Favre comes back.

I don't see why all the analysts are saying he can't repeat his performance or improve on it over last year.

Here's how I see it:

1. OL should be more solid with Sully and Load more experienced and Herrera healthy. Also their chemisty with each other improved.

2. Harvin will be even better.

3. Look at the starting receiving corp, BB, Sidney, & Shank all are at the top of their game.

4. The one two punch of AD and Toby should make teams cringe.

5. Only down point is if CT's blocking and receiving can be replaced. But I always thought putting CT in telegraphed PASS, which now with Toby it shouldn't.

D will get the ball back to the O.
I don't see the D being much weaker even with Griff and EJ down for a few games. Lito is a good pickup, Brink should be improved, Asher and Cook should push each other. IMO secondary should be improved.

Greenway and Edwards will be playing in their contract year which always seems to bring a bit more out of the player.

I see a improved Vikings team that should only help Favre repeat or possibly improve on last year.

i_bleed_purple
07-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Look at any player who had a great season. They rarely, if ever replicate that.

Statistically, Favre didn't have outstanding numbers. 4000+ yards, 33 TD's, 7 INT's, all very good, but its HOW he played the game, not the statsheet.

There's no stat for the type of throw made vs. San Fran.

So, you have to figure, The average year for Favre, off the top of my head is about 3800 yards, 30 TD's 18 INT's. Half of the seasons are better, half is worse. He considers last season his best yet, but we saw how he grew more aggressive towards the end of the season, and that gunslinger mentality came back. I'm sure it will be there next season. Remember, he had one of the best TD:INT ratios all time last season. Coming from a guy who holds the record for most INT's. I just can't see it.

Just like how Manning/Brady didn't come close to touching their records the following year, how CJ won't hit 2K again, and how LT has never topped his TD totals.

tastywaves
07-02-2010, 11:42 AM
Because Marrdro says so and even if he Favre does improve over last year, he will tell us how he didn't.

Seriously, no crystal ball in my hands. Don't know what to expect, but I can't see anyone else giving us a better chance to go the distance.

reyez
07-02-2010, 12:02 PM
Favre was playing with heavy emotions. Besides the schedule is much tougher this year and that bye week early will drain him.

gagarr
07-02-2010, 02:35 PM
reyez wrote:

Favre was playing with heavy emotions. Besides the schedule is much tougher this year and that bye week early will drain him.

I agree the schedule and the bye week are not in the Vikes favor.

IMO the only good thing is the first half of the season is the worst. @NO, @NYJ, bye, DAL, @GB, @NE, while Favre is still freshish.

The second half has: GB, @PHI

Granted CHI should be better, but without WR's I'm not sure how much better they will be.

Thus, hopefully the Vikes won't have to rely on the passing game to win many of those games.

As for the back to back great seasons are unlikely, well a 40yr old QB playing like a kid is just as unlikely.

idahovikefan7
07-02-2010, 03:32 PM
You mean "when" he comes back right?

Caine
07-02-2010, 05:46 PM
gagarr wrote:
IF Favre comes back.

I don't see why all the analysts are saying he can't repeat his performance or improve on it over last year.

Here's how I see it:

1. OL should be more solid with Sully and Load more experienced and Herrera healthy. Also their chemisty with each other improved.

The play of McKinnie, however, is unlikely to improve much - especially since his Pro Bowl nomination. That in itself is a HUGE failing. And with Chicago adding Peppers, that's 2 games right there where McKinnie could really hurt us...unless he pulls his head out of his ass.

gagarr wrote:
2. Harvin will be even better.

We hope...

gagarr wrote:
3. Look at the starting receiving corp, BB, Sidney, & Shank all are at the top of their game.

Berrian really didn't do too much last season. Sure, injury was a concern, but I haven't been overly impressed with him - he hasn't been what we hoped he would be. At the end of the day, we have a GOOD receiving Corps...but not one that I would consider "Elite".

gagarr wrote:
4. The one two punch of AD and Toby should make teams cringe.

Toby, being a rookie, is an unknown. He might be another Faison for all we know. As such, teams won't be cringing at all when Toby hits the field...not until he MAKES them, and that's going to take awhile. When you consider how teams never really took notice of Chester, I still consider this to be a loss at this point. Chester was a known quantity - and a valuable one. Toby is still a question mark.

gagarr wrote:
5. Only down point is if CT's blocking and receiving can be replaced. But I always thought putting CT in telegraphed PASS, which now with Toby it shouldn't.

CT had many great runs because teams considered him to be a pass indicator. We lost that when we didn't renew him.

gagarr wrote:
D will get the ball back to the O.
I don't see the D being much weaker even with Griff and EJ down for a few games. Lito is a good pickup, Brink should be improved, Asher and Cook should push each other. IMO secondary should be improved.

Greenway and Edwards will be playing in their contract year which always seems to bring a bit more out of the player.

Secondary, IMO, is still our Achilles Heel. Teams don't run on us because they know they can't...but they know they CAN pass. We need the front 4 to be terrors, and the secondary to step up big time if we expect to become a dominant Defense.

gagarr wrote:
I see a improved Vikings team that should only help Favre repeat or possibly improve on last year.

I don't really see the improvement. Maybe a few individuals like Harvin, Loadholt, Brinkley, or Sullivan, but as a TEAM? Not really.

Meanwhile, many of our opponents have been addressing issues they have had far more aggresssively.

Bottom line, the LIKELYHOOD of a season as good or better than last season is low. Make no mistake, we can beat every team on our schedule - which isn't something I claim every year. We ARE a strong team (With Favre under center), but I agree with the analysts. I expect to see us having to work a bit harder to get through this next season.

Caine

Tad7
07-02-2010, 06:51 PM
Because Favre can have a slight drop off and still have a great season. I'd be interested to know if more than 30 TD's and less than 10 INT's has EVER been done in back to back seasons.

And the team having a better record also seems unlikely given that the schedule at this point, seems to be tougher.

I would bet against Favre having better stats.
I would bet against the team having a better record.
I would not bet against the team going farther.

bsmithberkley
07-03-2010, 04:07 AM
IMO the yardage and TDs will be there for him.

In fact, I could see an increase in yardage:

1. Starting the season more familiar with team
2.a. Tougher schedule (more passing)
2.b. Tougher schedule, fewer 4th Quarters on bench
3. Berrian Healthy

The big question to me is Interceptions, that's what made last year so special. But you can't have everything. Hopefully AP stops fumbling so much so it won't mean anything in the global sense.

Traveling_Vike
07-03-2010, 11:12 AM
bsmithberkley wrote:

3. Berrian Healthy

The big question to me is Interceptions, that's what made last year so special. But you can't have everything. Hopefully AP stops fumbling so much so it won't mean anything in the global sense.

I agree almost completely here. I suspect an increase in passing yards and passing TDs, but also in interceptions, quite possibly a significant one. I would not be surprised to see last year's total doubled, or even more.

I am not sure I agree that a tougher schedule necessarily equates to more passing, but I do suspect a bit more playing time for Favre (barring injury, of course), and somewhat improved protection as well, which should help.

Traveling_Vike
07-03-2010, 11:12 AM
bsmithberkley wrote:

3. Berrian Healthy

I agree almost completely here. I suspect an increase in passing yards and passing TDs, but also in interceptions, quite possibly a significant one. I would not be surprised to see last year's total doubled, or even more.

I am not sure I agree that a tougher schedule necessarily equates to more passing, but I do suspect a bit more playing time for Favre (barring injury, of course), and somewhat improved protection as well, which should help.

vikingstd
07-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Because Favre can have a slight drop off and still have a great season. I'd be interested to know if more than 30 TD's and less than 10 INT's has EVER been done in back to back seasons.

I think so...

Purple Floyd
07-03-2010, 05:11 PM
He could, but it will be a more difficult task.

The schedule is not as kind to us as last year

The division will all be improved over last year

-GB will have one more year in the 3-4 and they sent Kampmann packing. When he went out the whole defense got better. Their offense will be as good or better than last year. Not an easy task to beat the 4x in a row.

- Chicago will be better on defense than last year. The secondary is a ? but I expect them to put more pressure on the OL and we have not upgraded that unit at all.

-Detroit. Well, they are Detroit but they will be a better team than we have seen in a while from them. They are digging out of the hole that Millen dug for them and while they won't challenge for the division, they will not be a team we can overlook.

The offense should be decent, although the old man under center is not getting any younger, the OL, which has been erratic since Childress got here did not get any stronger and Sullivan hasn't gotten any bigger so I still expect him to have the same problems with NT's he had last year. The passing game should see improvement with another year of chemistry to bond them and hopefully Peterson either learns to hold on to the ball or is benched, which will take care of that problem.

I would like to see them win 2 more postseason games than they won this year: the NFC Championship and the SB. Then it will be an improvement.

jmcdon00
07-03-2010, 05:34 PM
I think the saints gave teams an idea of how to get to Favre. I think we'll see more teams(especially the packers) putting more pressure on Favre. Favre will make them pay, but they will make Favre pay too(much like the saints game).

I definetly think this team can be better, I'm just not sure Favre left much room for improvement.

I think our special teams will be better, simply because we are deeper at most positions.

I think our defense has lots of room for improvement. Their interceptions totals will most likely go up(cancelling out Favre's increase).

The offense will be fine, we are loaded with talent.

I think the x-factor will be team chemistry. Last year the team chemistry was great. More experience together doesn't guarantee better team chemistry.

NodakPaul
07-03-2010, 07:27 PM
jmcdon00 wrote:

I think the saints gave teams an idea of how to get to Favre.

I think that is a common misconception.

No team is going to look at what the Saints did against us and use it as a blueprint to beat the Vikings in 2010. Mostly because the Saints defense more or less failed against the Vikings.

Favre was 28 for 46 for 1 TD and 2 INTs. The offense put up 475 yards of total offense and 28 points. The score could have been much high had the Vikings not shot themselves in the foot several times.

Very few teams have the offensive firepower to beat the Vikings when we score 28+ points. And there is no team that can beat us when we score 35+ points.

The Saints showed that they were good on offense, and very lucky on defense. No coach is going to try and recreate that.

ndnorseman
07-03-2010, 07:55 PM
NodakPaul wrote:

jmcdon00 wrote:

No team is going to look at what the Saints did against us and use it as a blueprint to beat the Vikings in 2010. Mostly because the Saints defense more or less failed against the Vikings.

Favre was 28 for 46 for 1 TD and 2 INTs. The offense put up 475 yards of total offense and 28 points. The score could have been much high had the Vikings not shot themselves in the foot several times.

Very few teams have the offensive firepower to beat the Vikings when we score 28+ points. And there is no team that can beat us when we score 35+ points.

The Saints showed that they were good on offense, and very lucky on defense. No coach is going to try and recreate that.

I think all jmcdon meant, was the pressure that was put on Favre...not necessarily the entire gameplan/scheme. As for the turnovers, well...I would hope that AD isn't the only one focusing on fixing that, since he wasn't the only one who coughed up the ball throughout the season.

I do agree with your general attitude, though. Some people are acting as if the entire League has improved by leaps and bounds, but our guys have actually moved backwards. And what's funny, is that they're using the examples to try to prove their points in comparison, such as, "Oh, well their [insert squad here] has had a full year and offseason to gel and come together".....like ours haven't?

We'll see some new stuff, sure...but it won't be anything our guys can't handle. ;)

jmcdon00
07-04-2010, 01:05 AM
NodakPaul wrote:

jmcdon00 wrote:

It's not like there will be a cookie cutter formula for beating the Vikings, we're a very good team. I just think if I were making a game plan it would involve hitting Favre early and often. Yes they got burned a couple times but with our offense that will happen regardless of the gameplan.

I think we will see other teams taking late hits on him and just accepting the 15 yard penalties(those calls will be made in the regular season).

This will be especially true of the Packers because they know those hits will hurt the vikings all season long. I'm not sure if Favre could have played the following week on that ankle, it definetly would have slowed him down.

It was the first time all season we saw Favre rattled(the final pick).

The teams that beat us in 2010 scored; 27, 30, 26, 36, 31 so teams already know they will need to score points to win.

gagarr
07-04-2010, 08:38 AM
Purple Floyd wrote:

-GB will have one more year in the 3-4 and they sent Kampmann packing. When he went out the whole defense got better. Their offense will be as good or better than last year. Not an easy task to beat the 4x in a row.

- Chicago will be better on defense than last year. The secondary is a ? but I expect them to put more pressure on the OL and we have not upgraded that unit at all.

-Detroit. Well, they are Detroit but they will be a better team than we have seen in a while from them. They are digging out of the hole that Millen dug for them and while they won't challenge for the division, they will not be a team we can overlook.

The offense should be decent, although the old man under center is not getting any younger, the OL, which has been erratic since Childress got here did not get any stronger and Sullivan hasn't gotten any bigger so I still expect him to have the same problems with NT's he had last year. The passing game should see improvement with another year of chemistry to bond them and hopefully Peterson either learns to hold on to the ball or is benched, which will take care of that problem.

I would like to see them win 2 more postseason games than they won this year: the NFC Championship and the SB. Then it will be an improvement.

Sure the other division teams have made moves to improve, but not more than the Vikes have.

Sure GB has a year of 3-4 experience, but they've added nobody to the mix of any quality. Didn't even draft a single LB. Their offense has peaked, except for adding 2 more OT's in the draft they've really done nothing there.

Bears still don't have a WR worth a crap. Maybe Cutler will show something. Peppers will add some serious push on D. But I don't see much improvement besides Peppers.

Detroit is adding quality talent all over the place. Benefit of being at the bottom. But still aren't going to challenge any time soon.

IMO the Vikes had 2 weaknesses OL and secondary.

Sure the Vikes didn't add anyone to the OL, but I think the year of experience for Sully and Load, that alone is a big improvement. Also, keeping the same 5 is a good thing for chemistry. Throw in Herrera being healthy it's a plus. McKinnie is the wildcard.

I think the Vikes secondary will be better. Addition of Lito and Cook are both improvements. The Jets didn't keep Lito because of poor play, they didn't want to pay the $10 mill roster bonus. IMO he's got alot in the tank and wants to show it to the Jet (ala Sharper).

I think the Vikes will be strong and Favre will get a quick start and WILL match or beat last years #'s. INT's are the only ??, but a few more won't kill if they are off set by fewer fumbles.

Purple Floyd
07-04-2010, 11:32 AM
gagarr wrote:

Purple Floyd wrote:

Sure the other division teams have made moves to improve, but not more than the Vikes have.

Sure GB has a year of 3-4 experience, but they've added nobody to the mix of any quality. Didn't even draft a single LB. Their offense has peaked, except for adding 2 more OT's in the draft they've really done nothing there.

Bears still don't have a WR worth a crap. Maybe Cutler will show something. Peppers will add some serious push on D. But I don't see much improvement besides Peppers.

Detroit is adding quality talent all over the place. Benefit of being at the bottom. But still aren't going to challenge any time soon.

IMO the Vikes had 2 weaknesses OL and secondary.

Sure the Vikes didn't add anyone to the OL, but I think the year of experience for Sully and Load, that alone is a big improvement. Also, keeping the same 5 is a good thing for chemistry. Throw in Herrera being healthy it's a plus. McKinnie is the wildcard.

I think the Vikes secondary will be better. Addition of Lito and Cook are both improvements. The Jets didn't keep Lito because of poor play, they didn't want to pay the $10 mill roster bonus. IMO he's got alot in the tank and wants to show it to the Jet (ala Sharper).

I think the Vikes will be strong and Favre will get a quick start and WILL match or beat last years #'s. INT's are the only ??, but a few more won't kill if they are off set by fewer fumbles.

Not saying you are wrong, but I am going to stand by what I said and that was spelled out in the first sentence and that is it will not be as easy as it was last year. Possible- Yes and for all of the reasons you pointed out.

My examples were only the divisional hurdles that we will face. The point of that is there are no teams in the division who will be taking a step back as is usually the case. Barring injuries to key players I think it is safe to say all of the teams in the division will be better than they were last year so the competition will be greater.

If we take the position that Brett is going to do better than last year against the division, then we can also look at the games against the rest of the league.

I believe he will do very well against

Buffalo.
Arizona.

Those games appear to me to be the easiest games on the schedule outside the division.

Then we have the next tier games

Miami
Washington
Dallas
NE
NYG
NYJ
Philly
N.O

These games by and large will not be a cake walk for him.IMHO this mix will be a tougher test than he was given last season and will take improvement just to stay even. Personally I would like to see us run the table on this group and run rampant on the Saints and Dallas especially.

But it will be a more difficult task than last year.

12purplepride28
07-04-2010, 12:34 PM
gagarr wrote:

Sure the Vikes didn't add anyone to the OL, but I think the year of experience for Sully and Load, that alone is a big improvement. Also, keeping the same 5 is a good thing for chemistry.

How can you blatantly contradict yourself like that. which is it? You say the vikings have improvement even though they didn't add anyone, just because we have another year of experience. Well why wouldn't that work for the packers and the 3-4 defense?

The packers defense improved so much last year towards the end of the year, and another year will make them be that much better.

The packers offense has peaked? Well if the only knock on them was that their oline sucked a big one, and they got two new OTs, I think that should help a bunch. Not to mention another year for their rookie Oline from last year.

I think GB will win the division. I honestly hope we destroy them, but I see us splitting with them and getting in with a wild card. After the play offs start though, its anybody's guess

kalamazooer10
07-04-2010, 01:53 PM
He can't play better than last season because he'll be herding chickens in Mississippi!

Caine
07-04-2010, 07:38 PM
12purplepride28 wrote:

gagarr wrote:

Sure the Vikes didn't add anyone to the OL, but I think the year of experience for Sully and Load, that alone is a big improvement. Also, keeping the same 5 is a good thing for chemistry.

How can you blatantly contradict yourself like that. which is it? You say the vikings have improvement even though they didn't add anyone, just because we have another year of experience. Well why wouldn't that work for the packers and the 3-4 defense?

The packers defense improved so much last year towards the end of the year, and another year will make them be that much better.

The packers offense has peaked? Well if the only knock on them was that their oline sucked a big one, and they got two new OTs, I think that should help a bunch. Not to mention another year for their rookie Oline from last year.

I think GB will win the division. I honestly hope we destroy them, but I see us splitting with them and getting in with a wild card. After the play offs start though, its anybody's guess

1: It's pretty commonly held that line positions - especially the Offensive Line - benefit more from time together than from a constantly rotating series of people. With that in mind, the Viking O-Line has the POTENTIAL to be better because they really didn't add any new pieces to the puzzle.

By that same logic, Green Bay has two NEW OT's...and New OT's are notoriously easy to victimize their rookie season...especially by the Elite DE's in the League. It will be at LEAST another season before the Green Bay line solidifies, despite the possibility that it MAY HAVE improved.

2: The O-Line isn't the only knock on Green Bay's Offense. They still don't have a legit RB. Ryan Grant is an OK runner, but he's nothing special. He only rushed over 100 yards 3 times last season...all during big games, which pushed his ypc average up to 4.4 - which is respectable. But he ALSO had games this season (Against Us, Baltimore, and Detroit) where he struggled to get above 3 YPC...2.3 versus Baltimore).

As such, teams don't have to really worry much about Green Bay's ruin game to hurt them, and they are allowed to focus on Rodgers. This will continue to plague Green Bay until they get someone more capable in the backfield.

3: Green Bays defense might improve under Capers...and it might not. Dom Capers doesn't exactly have a history of creating dominant Defenses. Check his history. When he took over Miami's defense in '06, they ranked 4th. In '07 they ranked 23rd. In '08 they ranked 15th....

...not exactly a ringing endorsement....Capers got fired that year.

So expecting dominance from Green Bay's defense might be being a bit too generous. And those corners aren't getting any younger...

4: I see the Packers trailing us all season. I think they'll slide in with a Wildcard, but I think we take the Division again. Green Bay has a good team, but not a dominant one anymore...on either side of the ball.

Caine

Mark_The_Viking
07-05-2010, 08:11 AM
Traveling_Vike wrote:

bsmithberkley wrote:

3. Berrian Healthy

Not sure I agree there will be more passing yards either this year. The heavier schedule and the early bye week I think will make us more reliant on the run and I'm hoping that Toby will be a big threat in that respect. If he is then we can rely on the showing them run and letting BF audible the pass when he knows there is a clear opportunity.

I hope he doesn't come in and ry and make up for the Saints loss, he doesn't have too, imho we nly got that far becasue of how he played and how the others stepped up to play with him.

Opposing Ds will in no doubt attack Adrian and try to force the fumble rather than just tackle this could either be a good thing or bad depending on how he got on with solving his fumbling issue.

I'm not getting too hyped about this season becasue for me regardless of how well he does (BF not AP) this is a hiatus year where hopefully the FO will be working on what needs to be done for the next season and ensuring there is still a franchise to work on.

bsmithberkley
07-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Caine wrote:

12purplepride28 wrote:

gagarr wrote:

1: It's pretty commonly held that line positions - especially the Offensive Line - benefit more from time together than from a constantly rotating series of people. With that in mind, the Viking O-Line has the POTENTIAL to be better because they really didn't add any new pieces to the puzzle.

By that same logic, Green Bay has two NEW OT's...and New OT's are notoriously easy to victimize their rookie season...especially by the Elite DE's in the League. It will be at LEAST another season before the Green Bay line solidifies, despite the possibility that it MAY HAVE improved.

2: The O-Line isn't the only knock on Green Bay's Offense. They still don't have a legit RB. Ryan Grant is an OK runner, but he's nothing special. He only rushed over 100 yards 3 times last season...all during big games, which pushed his ypc average up to 4.4 - which is respectable. But he ALSO had games this season (Against Us, Baltimore, and Detroit) where he struggled to get above 3 YPC...2.3 versus Baltimore).

As such, teams don't have to really worry much about Green Bay's ruin game to hurt them, and they are allowed to focus on Rodgers. This will continue to plague Green Bay until they get someone more capable in the backfield.

3: Green Bays defense might improve under Capers...and it might not. Dom Capers doesn't exactly have a history of creating dominant Defenses. Check his history. When he took over Miami's defense in '06, they ranked 4th. In '07 they ranked 23rd. In '08 they ranked 15th....

...not exactly a ringing endorsement....Capers got fired that year.

So expecting dominance from Green Bay's defense might be being a bit too generous. And those corners aren't getting any younger...

4: I see the Packers trailing us all season. I think they'll slide in with a Wildcard, but I think we take the Division again. Green Bay has a good team, but not a dominant one anymore...on either side of the ball.

Caine

I also have some reservations about GBs Defense, I think they left everything on the field last year making the transition to the 3-4. Capers squeezed everything out of them.

If they had better pass rushers I would think they could maintain their success, but, I think that teams will respond to GBs/Capers schemes and moderate GBs success this year, (especially by the end of the year). Plus, repeating the secondaries TO success will be very difficult.

i_bleed_purple
07-05-2010, 11:53 AM
I really don't see how you all think the Packers all of a sudden won't be good.

They had a very good defense last year, and an elite offense.

They lost Kampman, who was a liability, have a year under Raji and Matthew's belt. That can really only help. Their LB's will ahve played together a year, and that chemistry is important in the 3-4. The DL will have figured out the 3-4 by now. They should be very good again.

The concern should be corner, if Whoopie and Woodson degress, or keep playing at a high level. Their S's aren't bad, better than we have. I honestly think their D can be better than ours.

O will be hit or miss. As mentioned, Grant's not that good, but their issue was terrible OL play. Worst case scenario, the two new OT's suck, and they're in the same spot. Best, they improve the play, and Allen doesn't get 7.5 of his 14.5 sacks vs. the Packers this year.

Rodgers will only get better, Jennings is still very good, Driver won't get better, but is still effective, and Finley COULD be a real threat. he's a big athletic receiver, just like Shank. They could just as easily sweep us as we could sweep them. Its really a tossup at this point.

You mention Capers really never sticking around, and the thing I see differently with the packers, is they had alot of the players in place already when he came here. They had the DE's they needed, they had athletic LB's. They didn't have to do a complete overhaul, which helped accelerate the learning curve. That hasn't always been the case on other teams.

Caine
07-05-2010, 05:31 PM
i_bleed_purple wrote:

They lost Kampman, who was a liability, have a year under Raji and Matthew's belt. That can really only help. Their LB's will ahve played together a year, and that chemistry is important in the 3-4. The DL will have figured out the 3-4 by now. They should be very good again.

The concern should be corner, if Whoopie and Woodson degress, or keep playing at a high level. Their S's aren't bad, better than we have. I honestly think their D can be better than ours.

O will be hit or miss. As mentioned, Grant's not that good, but their issue was terrible OL play. Worst case scenario, the two new OT's suck, and they're in the same spot. Best, they improve the play, and Allen doesn't get 7.5 of his 14.5 sacks vs. the Packers this year.

Rodgers will only get better, Jennings is still very good, Driver won't get better, but is still effective, and Finley COULD be a real threat. he's a big athletic receiver, just like Shank. They could just as easily sweep us as we could sweep them. Its really a tossup at this point.

You mention Capers really never sticking around, and the thing I see differently with the packers, is they had alot of the players in place already when he came here. They had the DE's they needed, they had athletic LB's. They didn't have to do a complete overhaul, which helped accelerate the learning curve. That hasn't always been the case on other teams.

I didn't say they won't be GOOD...I said we'll be better.

AS I pointed out above, their Offense has a couple of critical holes in it. And their O-Line issues won't be cured THIS YEAR by the drafted rookies...they'll likely be victimized a bit this year until they get up to speed. Just Like we all believe Loadholt will be better this year - his second.

I didn't list Rodgers and the Receivers as liabilities because they're not. Rodgers was fortunate to have an excellent group in place when he took over for Favre...that was the best corps Favre ever had to work with. I wonder how well Rodgers will do with lesser players?

But Grant IS a liability. No one really respects the Packer running game...evidenced last year by their desperate reacquisition of Ahman Green. Until they can get a legit running threat back there to take some heat off of Rodgers, he'll continue to run for his life most games.

That said, Green Bay wins and loses on Rodger's arm. In all but 4 games last season Rodgers was the more prolific QB. Only Cutler (twice), Romo, and Roethlisberger (who put up over 500 yards that game) out produced Rodgers when they played.

As for the Defense - I simply stated that despite everyone clamoring that they will be much better, I doubt they will be. I don't think they're going to see a dramatic improvement this year at all. I think they'll be GOOD - they might be a bit better - but overall they won't be leaps and bounds better.

And neither will we.

And their secondary is another year older...the same concern I voice about several of our key players.

Green Bays defense had THIRTY interceptions last season. 30!!! They were #1 in the NFL. We had eleven. Do I think they'll be that prolific again next year? No.

They generated 37 sacks, ranking them 11th in the NFL. Do I think they'll significantly improve there? No. In fact, I suspect that once teams start accounting for Matthews, you'll see that number slide a bit.

They had a FRIGHTENING +24 turn over ratio (We had a +6), and despite that HUGE advantage were still trailing us at the end of the season by a game.

Bottom line, how much better do you really think they're going to get? Aside from the "year to get better" argument, what else have they done to address personnel issues?

Answer? Nothing. Thompson doesn't do Free Agency. He's a draft guy. That's why he got Seattle CLOSE, but couldn't get them to the dance (They went they year AFTER he got fired).

So, while Green Bay IS dangerous, and they COULD sweep us and win the Division, I simply think we're better. And, unless we get "Chillered", I think we'll sweep them again this season. Had we not suffered a Defensive let-down, we pretty much manhandled them in the second game.

Caine

i_bleed_purple
07-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Caine wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

AS I pointed out above, their Offense has a couple of critical holes in it. And their O-Line issues won't be cured THIS YEAR by the drafted rookies...they'll likely be victimized a bit this year until they get up to speed. Just Like we all believe Loadholt will be better this year - his second.
Yet, won't we agree Loadholt was an improvemnt as a rookie than anybody who started there last year?

I didn't list Rodgers and the Receivers as liabilities because they're not. Rodgers was fortunate to have an excellent group in place when he took over for Favre...that was the best corps Favre ever had to work with. I wonder how well Rodgers will do with lesser players?

But Grant IS a liability. No one really respects the Packer running game...evidenced last year by their desperate reacquisition of Ahman Green. Until they can get a legit running threat back there to take some heat off of Rodgers, he'll continue to run for his life most games.

That said, Green Bay wins and loses on Rodger's arm. In all but 4 games last season Rodgers was the more prolific QB. Only Cutler (twice), Romo, and Roethlisberger (who put up over 500 yards that game) out produced Rodgers when they played. I can agree with that.

As for the Defense - I simply stated that despite everyone clamoring that they will be much better, I doubt they will be. I don't think they're going to see a dramatic improvement this year at all. I think they'll be GOOD - they might be a bit better - but overall they won't be leaps and bounds better.[/quote] I agree, but people who think we'll all of a sudden be better on D, but they'll suffer need to re-think that. We'll both have some pretty good Defense. if their D was better than ours, I wouldn't be shocked.

Green Bays defense had THIRTY interceptions last season. 30!!! They were #1 in the NFL. We had eleven. Do I think they'll be that prolific again next year? No. I'd agree if that were an isolated incident, but its not.

2009: 30 int's (1st)
2008: 22 (3rd)
2007: 19 (6th)
2006: 23 (3rd)

So tell me, what do you see that makes you think there will be a significant drop-off. They likely won't get 30, but even 20 INT's is a damn good season by any standards.

They generated 37 sacks, ranking them 11th in the NFL. Do I think they'll significantly improve there? No. In fact, I suspect that once teams start accounting for Matthews, you'll see that number slide a bit.
Again, based on what? Their LB's are fast, and they run a 3-4, which is good at generating sacks with the proper blitzes.

They had a FRIGHTENING +24 turn over ratio (We had a +6), and despite that HUGE advantage were still trailing us at the end of the season by a game. Valid point. However, that comes due to us not turning the ball ove rmuch, but also not forcing many turnovers.

Bottom line, how much better do you really think they're going to get? Aside from the "year to get better" argument, what else have they done to address personnel issues?
I'm not saying they're all of a sudden superbowl favourites.

If they made the superbowl, I woudln't be shocked, but they're not my top 3 choice in the NFC.

So, while Green Bay IS dangerous, and they COULD sweep us and win the Division, I simply think we're better. And, unless we get "Chillered", I think we'll sweep them again this season. Had we not suffered a Defensive let-down, we pretty much manhandled them in the second game.

Again, agreed. I think we're a better team, my comments aren't directed at those who think we're better, but those who are ruling them out already. They will contend for the division, and they might even beat us.

Caine
07-05-2010, 06:51 PM
i_bleed_purple wrote:

Caine wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Yet, won't we agree Loadholt was an improvemnt as a rookie than anybody who started there last year?

That said, Green Bay wins and loses on Rodger's arm. In all but 4 games last season Rodgers was the more prolific QB. Only Cutler (twice), Romo, and Roethlisberger (who put up over 500 yards that game) out produced Rodgers when they played. I can agree with that.

As for the Defense - I simply stated that despite everyone clamoring that they will be much better, I doubt they will be. I don't think they're going to see a dramatic improvement this year at all. I think they'll be GOOD - they might be a bit better - but overall they won't be leaps and bounds better. I agree, but people who think we'll all of a sudden be better on D, but they'll suffer need to re-think that. We'll both have some pretty good Defense. if their D was better than ours, I wouldn't be shocked.

Green Bays defense had THIRTY interceptions last season. 30!!! They were #1 in the NFL. We had eleven. Do I think they'll be that prolific again next year? No. I'd agree if that were an isolated incident, but its not.

So tell me, what do you see that makes you think there will be a significant drop-off. They likely won't get 30, but even 20 INT's is a damn good season by any standards.

Again, based on what? Their LB's are fast, and they run a 3-4, which is good at generating sacks with the proper blitzes.

They had a FRIGHTENING +24 turn over ratio (We had a +6), and despite that HUGE advantage were still trailing us at the end of the season by a game. Valid point. However, that comes due to us not turning the ball ove rmuch, but also not forcing many turnovers.

If they made the superbowl, I woudln't be shocked, but they're not my top 3 choice in the NFC.

Again, agreed. I think we're a better team, my comments aren't directed at those who think we're better, but those who are ruling them out already. They will contend for the division, and they might even beat us.

Aside from a handful of "ticky-tacky" points, you and I are pretty close on this issue. Despite my feeling that we are the superior team, I never overlook Green Bay...or Detroit for that matter. They ARE dangerous.

That said, I just don't see them being THAT much better this season. Woodson had a magical year, but at 33 years old, how much longer can he maintain that level of play? Whoopie Goldberg is 35 and has been injury plagued the last 2 seasons. He can't go man-to-man with Elite receivers anymore. Atari Bigby has had injury issues and has never recaptured his 2007 form. The only one rock solid is Collins.

My main point of contention is this media fascination with claiming that Capers is some kind of 3-4 guru. Truth is, he really isn't. Remember how they used to try and sell Ted Cotrell that way too? As a "Defensive Mastermind"? Yet every year, any Defense Ted took control of got WORSE...Capers has a similar history.

So, again, Green Bay is dangerous...and they'll make some noise this season. But I don't see them being at our level with Favre under center. If Jackson is under center, Green Bay sweeps us, but Favre makes our offense - and our team - so much better that I think we beat up on Green Bay again this season.

Caine

i_bleed_purple
07-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Caine wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Caine wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

As for the Defense - I simply stated that despite everyone clamoring that they will be much better, I doubt they will be. I don't think they're going to see a dramatic improvement this year at all. I think they'll be GOOD - they might be a bit better - but overall they won't be leaps and bounds better. I agree, but people who think we'll all of a sudden be better on D, but they'll suffer need to re-think that. We'll both have some pretty good Defense. if their D was better than ours, I wouldn't be shocked.

Aside from a handful of "ticky-tacky" points, you and I are pretty close on this issue. Despite my feeling that we are the superior team, I never overlook Green Bay...or Detroit for that matter. They ARE dangerous.

That said, I just don't see them being THAT much better this season. Woodson had a magical year, but at 33 years old, how much longer can he maintain that level of play? Whoopie Goldberg is 35 and has been injury plagued the last 2 seasons. He can't go man-to-man with Elite receivers anymore. Atari Bigby has had injury issues and has never recaptured his 2007 form. The only one rock solid is Collins.

My main point of contention is this media fascination with claiming that Capers is some kind of 3-4 guru. Truth is, he really isn't. Remember how they used to try and sell Ted Cotrell that way too? As a "Defensive Mastermind"? Yet every year, any Defense Ted took control of got WORSE...Capers has a similar history.

So, again, Green Bay is dangerous...and they'll make some noise this season. But I don't see them being at our level with Favre under center. If Jackson is under center, Green Bay sweeps us, but Favre makes our offense - and our team - so much better that I think we beat up on Green Bay again this season.

Caine

I don't disagree with any of that.

However, I think that the players are carrying Capers, rather than the other way around. GB has good 3-4 players, and it doesn't hurt that Harris and Woodson had one of their best seasons ever together.

Their LB's played well, Matthews had a great rookie season, Hawk seems more comfortable in the 3-4, and Barnett was playing well. Kampman was a liability, but that should improve. Their DL was well suited too.

I don't think he had the same quality players across the board in New York and was it Miami? I think GB's D will tighten as a unit, but won't be as much of a 'big play' defense that they were this season

kalamazooer10
07-09-2010, 01:48 PM
How can he get better when he's busy milking chickens in Messyseppy?

NodakPaul
07-09-2010, 02:14 PM
kalamazooer10 wrote:

How can he get better when he's busy milking chickens in Messyseppy?

Joke's getting old... ;)

i_bleed_purple
07-12-2010, 02:09 PM
Favre remains coy about future as QB continues to work out (www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81915de2/article/favre-remains-coy-about-future-as-qb-continues-to-work-out)

Favre worked out with some youngsters at Oak Grove High School in Hattiesburg, Miss., on Monday, then eluded reporters looking to ask him about his future by running to his truck and driving away.

skum
07-12-2010, 04:38 PM
i_bleed_purple wrote:

Favre remains coy about future as QB continues to work out (www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81915de2/article/favre-remains-coy-about-future-as-qb-continues-to-work-out)

Favre worked out with some youngsters at Oak Grove High School in Hattiesburg, Miss., on Monday, then eluded reporters looking to ask him about his future by running to his truck and driving away.

Favre running away from the media?

Whats UP!?!..

i_bleed_purple
07-12-2010, 04:43 PM
He's a changed man. Next year he'll even announce his return in March!

NodakPaul
07-12-2010, 05:15 PM
skum wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Whats UP!?!..

Favre always avoided talking directly to the media except during pressers or txt messages. This isn't anything new.

Glad he could run on that ankle though. ;)

gagarr
07-13-2010, 11:15 AM
NodakPaul wrote:

skum wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Whats UP!?!..

Favre always avoided talking directly to the media except during pressers or txt messages. This isn't anything new.

It's funny how much press Favre gets by DOING NOTHING and Ocho has to go on Dancing with the Stars and make stupid comments to get a few minutes.

Do you think the press would go away if Favre says he's coming back? No! Favre watch would continue to see when he reports to camp or if he's going to change his mind. The guy is news whether he does nothing or not, so I would take the easy road and do nothing.

jmcdon00
07-13-2010, 04:48 PM
NodakPaul wrote:

skum wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Whats UP!?!..

He'll be presenting the arthur ash award at the espy's wednesday July 14th(tomorrow).
http://1500espn.com/sportswire/Brett_Favre_to_make_appearance_at_next_weeks_ESPY_Awards

i_bleed_purple
07-15-2010, 11:23 AM
Favre is working out with the intention of coming back.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/07/15/favre-says-he-would-love-to-return-but-is-his-body-willing/

"I would love to play and be the best I could possibly be and thatís really what Iím working towards right now.Ē"

tastywaves
07-15-2010, 11:50 AM
i_bleed_purple wrote:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/07/15/favre-says-he-would-love-to-return-but-is-his-body-willing/

"I would love to play and be the best I could possibly be and thatís really what Iím working towards right now.Ē"

Do you suppose its possible that the guy is actually telling the truth? Could be. I'm sure his healing process will accelerate after TC gets underway.

i_bleed_purple
07-15-2010, 12:08 PM
POssible. he had surgury, and its been 8 weeks. I'm sure he can run just fine, but I'm not sure he'd be in football shape though. Footwork is extremely important as a QB, and if he can't push off or step into his throws, it will limit what he can do.

The fact he's throwing with high school kids is a good sign, but thats non-contact, limited movement drills he's doing.

Vikes_King
07-15-2010, 12:10 PM
tastywaves wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Do you suppose its possible that the guy is actually telling the truth? Could be. I'm sure his healing process will accelerate after TC gets underway.

Are you trying to insinuate that Lord Favre will be at TC?

Interesting.

ndnorseman
07-15-2010, 02:07 PM
I have to be honest with myself regarding this situation. There is a distinct possibility that Favre will either A) decide after all is said and done that he IS done, and leave us with just TJ and JW (or is it J-Dubya?) or B) get injured, possibly as early as the Saints game, and again, we get left with Jackson and Webb.

Don't blast me too hard for this, because at this point, it's just two possibilities that I'm steeling myself for.

Caine
07-15-2010, 08:16 PM
ndnorseman wrote:

I have to be honest with myself regarding this situation. There is a distinct possibility that Favre will either A) decide after all is said and done that he IS done, and leave us with just TJ and JW (or is it J-Dubya?) or B) get injured, possibly as early as the Saints game, and again, we get left with Jackson and Webb.

Don't blast me too hard for this, because at this point, it's just two possibilities that I'm steeling myself for.

#1 is highly unlikely because of the general assumption of his return. Favre is aware of that. IF he were to say, "Gee fellers....awwww shucks...I just don't feel up to it." right now, the backlash from fans and media would be HUGE!!! While he didn't formally commit, neither did he leave the team in a position to seek another option (McNabb).

#2 is the same risk we take with every player. Peterson could get hurt and leave us with only Gerhart. Allen could get hurt and leave us with Robison. In either case, we aren't playing at full strength. I grant you that the QB position affects us FAR more, but the principle is the same.

I believe Favre will be here, ready to play, by the 2nd preseason game. And I also believe that everyone will breathe a huge sigh of relief when he arrives - even Marrdro (Although he'll never admit it) - because Jackson will have another "blaaagh" preseason.

Caine

ndnorseman
07-16-2010, 02:44 AM
Yeah, I guess maybe I don't ignore the paranoid, suspicious, conspiracy-theorist voices in my head enough to completely discount possibility #1. LOL

As for possibility #2, it's the more likely of the two, simply for the fact that as early as the very first game of the season, Favre is gonna have his durability put to the test. If there's one area of our team I hope is improved the MOST, it's the O-line...they're gonna NEED to be earning their paychecks this year.

gagarr
07-17-2010, 10:31 AM
ndnorseman wrote:

Yeah, I guess maybe I don't ignore the paranoid, suspicious, conspiracy-theorist voices in my head enough to completely discount possibility #1. LOL

As for possibility #2, it's the more likely of the two, simply for the fact that as early as the very first game of the season, Favre is gonna have his durability put to the test. If there's one area of our team I hope is improved the MOST, it's the O-line...they're gonna NEED to be earning their paychecks this year.

Beyond the OL, I find the blocking back position as still a big ?. CT filled that role nicely, AD has yet to show he's a 3 down back, Gerhart is a unknown, and we all know what Tahi can't do (everything, except breath). With all the 3-4 D's were facing the back needs to ID the blizers, which requires intelligence as much as physical ability.

My only hope is the reason the Vikes drafted Toby is because he's smart, big, and selfless. ID the blitzers and get a big body between them and Favre.