PDA

View Full Version : Brian Robison chat transcript



Marrdro
05-06-2010, 09:52 AM
8:06 [Comment From Brian H. Brian H. : ]
Brian, what have you done this off-season to improve yourself as a player? What kind of role do you feel you will play this season?
Tuesday May 4, 2010 8:06 Brian H.
8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...No B.S. Also I have been healthy and my strength is back up. Not sure what my role will be, but I will be ready whatever it is




8:24 [Comment From Tom Hughes Tom Hughes : ]
Brian, Do you think the Metrodome is as bad of a stadium as people make it out to be? I personally love it because the noise in there gives you guys a huge homefield advantage and the new stadium with a open roof at times will not be able to hold in the noise as well.
Tuesday May 4, 2010 8:24 Tom Hughes
8:26 Brian Robison: Actually I haven't watched much of this, but I did catch that he latest proposal has a fixed roof like the dome. The stadium isn't that bad, but the field definitely needs work


Brian Robison chat transcript (http://min.scout.com/2/967734.html)
I hate when they try to add weight......

i_bleed_purple
05-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Marrdro wrote:


8:06 [Comment From Brian H. Brian H. : ]
Brian, what have you done this off-season to improve yourself as a player? What kind of role do you feel you will play this season?
Tuesday May 4, 2010 8:06 Brian H.
8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...No B.S. Also I have been healthy and my strength is back up. Not sure what my role will be, but I will be ready whatever it is




8:24 [Comment From Tom Hughes Tom Hughes : ]
Brian, Do you think the Metrodome is as bad of a stadium as people make it out to be? I personally love it because the noise in there gives you guys a huge homefield advantage and the new stadium with a open roof at times will not be able to hold in the noise as well.
Tuesday May 4, 2010 8:24 Tom Hughes
8:26 Brian Robison: Actually I haven't watched much of this, but I did catch that he latest proposal has a fixed roof like the dome. The stadium isn't that bad, but the field definitely needs work


Brian Robison chat transcript (http://min.scout.com/2/967734.html)
I hate when they try to add weight......

the dude's 6'3", 259, and an olympic calibre shotput thrower, and you don't htink he can stand to add 8 pounds?

The guy wants a chance to play more, adding 8 pounds gives him a better chance going through the interior line (He lines up as DT at times) and playing on the left.

Marrdro
05-06-2010, 10:18 AM
i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:


8:06 [Comment From Brian H. Brian H. : ]
Brian, what have you done this off-season to improve yourself as a player? What kind of role do you feel you will play this season?
Tuesday May 4, 2010 8:06 Brian H.
8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...No B.S. Also I have been healthy and my strength is back up. Not sure what my role will be, but I will be ready whatever it is




8:24 [Comment From Tom Hughes Tom Hughes : ]
Brian, Do you think the Metrodome is as bad of a stadium as people make it out to be? I personally love it because the noise in there gives you guys a huge homefield advantage and the new stadium with a open roof at times will not be able to hold in the noise as well.
Tuesday May 4, 2010 8:24 Tom Hughes
8:26 Brian Robison: Actually I haven't watched much of this, but I did catch that he latest proposal has a fixed roof like the dome. The stadium isn't that bad, but the field definitely needs work


Brian Robison chat transcript (http://min.scout.com/2/967734.html)
I hate when they try to add weight......

the dude's 6'3", 259, and an olympic calibre shotput thrower, and you don't htink he can stand to add 8 pounds?

The guy wants a chance to play more, adding 8 pounds gives him a better chance going through the interior line (He lines up as DT at times) and playing on the left.
Read the transcript. He only plays DT on passing plays.

And he is adding weight so he can get that extra beef to hold up on the LDE side (Again, read the transcript, he says the get doubled the most).

Think of it this way, the good lord gave him a frame that could carry X amount of pounds. He added some to it in High School, he added some to it in College and now he is adding some to it in the NFL.

At some point, things will start breaking down? Is he to that point yet? I am not sure, but in most cases, they are pretty close.

Again, he is a RDE by trade who is trying to add enough weight/mass to hold up to the rigors of LDE and DT on passing situations.

I don't think I am to far off on this (again read the transcript) as he only added just enough to not loose any speed.

i_bleed_purple
05-06-2010, 10:25 AM
Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:


8:06 [Comment From Brian H. Brian H. : ]
Brian, what have you done this off-season to improve yourself as a player? What kind of role do you feel you will play this season?
Tuesday May 4, 2010 8:06 Brian H.
8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...No B.S. Also I have been healthy and my strength is back up. Not sure what my role will be, but I will be ready whatever it is




8:24 [Comment From Tom Hughes Tom Hughes : ]
Brian, Do you think the Metrodome is as bad of a stadium as people make it out to be? I personally love it because the noise in there gives you guys a huge homefield advantage and the new stadium with a open roof at times will not be able to hold in the noise as well.
Tuesday May 4, 2010 8:24 Tom Hughes
8:26 Brian Robison: Actually I haven't watched much of this, but I did catch that he latest proposal has a fixed roof like the dome. The stadium isn't that bad, but the field definitely needs work


Brian Robison chat transcript (http://min.scout.com/2/967734.html)
I hate when they try to add weight......

the dude's 6'3", 259, and an olympic calibre shotput thrower, and you don't htink he can stand to add 8 pounds?

The guy wants a chance to play more, adding 8 pounds gives him a better chance going through the interior line (He lines up as DT at times) and playing on the left.
Read the transcript. He only plays DT on passing plays.
.. sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.



And he is adding weight so he can get that extra beef to hold up on the LDE side (Again, read the transcript, he says the get doubled the most).

Think of it this way, the good lord gave him a frame that could carry X amount of pounds. He added some to it in High School, he added some to it in College and now he is adding some to it in the NFL.

At some point, things will start breaking down? Is he to that point yet? I am not sure, but in most cases, they are pretty close.
I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.



Again, he is a RDE by trade who is trying to add enough weight/mass to hold up to the rigors of LDE and DT on passing situations.

I don't think I am to far off on this (again read the transcript) as he only added just enough to not loose any speed.
and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.

Marrdro
05-06-2010, 10:38 AM
i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

i_bleed_purple
05-06-2010, 10:42 AM
Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?

Marrdro
05-06-2010, 10:44 AM
i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?
So have I, but I've slowed down, my knees ache etc etc etc.

i_bleed_purple
05-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?
So have I, but I've slowed down, my knees ache etc etc etc.

and? These guys play football. They made the choice to play football.

They're not average joes, with a frame to support 180, but they love their cheeseburgers too much and swell up to 230. No, they made the choice to play a dangerous, contact sport. They should be optimizing their bodies to be at their best.

Robison obviously wants to have more of an impact, but knows he probably needs to be stronger and bigger to do that. You can't just get stronger without gaining muscle mass. If he was content with playing backup and situational roles, then he'd stay as is, but he knows his career won't last long if he does.

Its his choice, and the risk is worth it to them. Plus, you know nothing about these guy's bodies.

Marrdro
05-06-2010, 10:53 AM
i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?
So have I, but I've slowed down, my knees ache etc etc etc.

and? These guys play football. They made the choice to play football.

They're not average joes, with a frame to support 180, but they love their cheeseburgers too much and swell up to 230. No, they made the choice to play a dangerous, contact sport. They should be optimizing their bodies to be at their best.

Robison obviously wants to have more of an impact, but knows he probably needs to be stronger and bigger to do that. You can't just get stronger without gaining muscle mass. If he was content with playing backup and situational roles, then he'd stay as is, but he knows his career won't last long if he does.

Its his choice, and the risk is worth it to them. Plus, you know nothing about these guy's bodies.
I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

i_bleed_purple
05-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?
So have I, but I've slowed down, my knees ache etc etc etc.

and? These guys play football. They made the choice to play football.

They're not average joes, with a frame to support 180, but they love their cheeseburgers too much and swell up to 230. No, they made the choice to play a dangerous, contact sport. They should be optimizing their bodies to be at their best.

Robison obviously wants to have more of an impact, but knows he probably needs to be stronger and bigger to do that. You can't just get stronger without gaining muscle mass. If he was content with playing backup and situational roles, then he'd stay as is, but he knows his career won't last long if he does.

Its his choice, and the risk is worth it to them. Plus, you know nothing about these guy's bodies.
I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

you're missing my point.

You have no idea what their ideal weight is. You don't know what they can or can't carry safely.

tastywaves
05-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?
So have I, but I've slowed down, my knees ache etc etc etc.

and? These guys play football. They made the choice to play football.

They're not average joes, with a frame to support 180, but they love their cheeseburgers too much and swell up to 230. No, they made the choice to play a dangerous, contact sport. They should be optimizing their bodies to be at their best.

Robison obviously wants to have more of an impact, but knows he probably needs to be stronger and bigger to do that. You can't just get stronger without gaining muscle mass. If he was content with playing backup and situational roles, then he'd stay as is, but he knows his career won't last long if he does.

Its his choice, and the risk is worth it to them. Plus, you know nothing about these guy's bodies.
I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

Here's what I read:

8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...

No where does he indicate that if he would have put 12lbs on then he starts to slow down. He simply said I put on 8-10lbs and got stronger and quicker...you took it from there, unless there was more in the full transcript that I haven't read.

I do agree that body's have their limits, but just because the guy was 8lbs lighter last year doesn't mean that was his ideal weight for his body and responsibility. You kind of need to trust the professional athletes and training staff to know their own bodies.

Marrdro
05-06-2010, 11:14 AM
tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?
So have I, but I've slowed down, my knees ache etc etc etc.

and? These guys play football. They made the choice to play football.

They're not average joes, with a frame to support 180, but they love their cheeseburgers too much and swell up to 230. No, they made the choice to play a dangerous, contact sport. They should be optimizing their bodies to be at their best.

Robison obviously wants to have more of an impact, but knows he probably needs to be stronger and bigger to do that. You can't just get stronger without gaining muscle mass. If he was content with playing backup and situational roles, then he'd stay as is, but he knows his career won't last long if he does.

Its his choice, and the risk is worth it to them. Plus, you know nothing about these guy's bodies.
I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

Here's what I read:

8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...

No where does he indicate that if he would have put 12lbs on then he starts to slow down. He simply said I put on 8-10lbs and got stronger and quicker...you took it from there, unless there was more in the full transcript that I haven't read.

I do agree that body's have their limits, but just because the guy was 8lbs lighter last year doesn't mean that was his ideal weight for his body and responsibility. You kind of need to trust the professional athletes and training staff to know their own bodies.
And were I took it from there I inserted the words "Assumption on my part".

tastywaves
05-06-2010, 11:22 AM
Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?
So have I, but I've slowed down, my knees ache etc etc etc.

and? These guys play football. They made the choice to play football.

They're not average joes, with a frame to support 180, but they love their cheeseburgers too much and swell up to 230. No, they made the choice to play a dangerous, contact sport. They should be optimizing their bodies to be at their best.

Robison obviously wants to have more of an impact, but knows he probably needs to be stronger and bigger to do that. You can't just get stronger without gaining muscle mass. If he was content with playing backup and situational roles, then he'd stay as is, but he knows his career won't last long if he does.

Its his choice, and the risk is worth it to them. Plus, you know nothing about these guy's bodies.
I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

Here's what I read:

8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...

No where does he indicate that if he would have put 12lbs on then he starts to slow down. He simply said I put on 8-10lbs and got stronger and quicker...you took it from there, unless there was more in the full transcript that I haven't read.

I do agree that body's have their limits, but just because the guy was 8lbs lighter last year doesn't mean that was his ideal weight for his body and responsibility. You kind of need to trust the professional athletes and training staff to know their own bodies.
And were I took it from there I inserted the words "Assumption on my part".

Okay, kind of a big one, but it does keep the thread going.

Marrdro
05-06-2010, 11:28 AM
tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?
So have I, but I've slowed down, my knees ache etc etc etc.

and? These guys play football. They made the choice to play football.

They're not average joes, with a frame to support 180, but they love their cheeseburgers too much and swell up to 230. No, they made the choice to play a dangerous, contact sport. They should be optimizing their bodies to be at their best.

Robison obviously wants to have more of an impact, but knows he probably needs to be stronger and bigger to do that. You can't just get stronger without gaining muscle mass. If he was content with playing backup and situational roles, then he'd stay as is, but he knows his career won't last long if he does.

Its his choice, and the risk is worth it to them. Plus, you know nothing about these guy's bodies.
I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

Here's what I read:

8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...

No where does he indicate that if he would have put 12lbs on then he starts to slow down. He simply said I put on 8-10lbs and got stronger and quicker...you took it from there, unless there was more in the full transcript that I haven't read.

I do agree that body's have their limits, but just because the guy was 8lbs lighter last year doesn't mean that was his ideal weight for his body and responsibility. You kind of need to trust the professional athletes and training staff to know their own bodies.
And were I took it from there I inserted the words "Assumption on my part".

Okay, kind of a big one, but it does keep the thread going.
I don't like players adding weight to switch positions. Some people don't mind.

Its a discussion. No wrong, no right. Isn't that what most of us come here for? ;)

tastywaves
05-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?
So have I, but I've slowed down, my knees ache etc etc etc.

and? These guys play football. They made the choice to play football.

They're not average joes, with a frame to support 180, but they love their cheeseburgers too much and swell up to 230. No, they made the choice to play a dangerous, contact sport. They should be optimizing their bodies to be at their best.

Robison obviously wants to have more of an impact, but knows he probably needs to be stronger and bigger to do that. You can't just get stronger without gaining muscle mass. If he was content with playing backup and situational roles, then he'd stay as is, but he knows his career won't last long if he does.

Its his choice, and the risk is worth it to them. Plus, you know nothing about these guy's bodies.
I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

Here's what I read:

8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...

No where does he indicate that if he would have put 12lbs on then he starts to slow down. He simply said I put on 8-10lbs and got stronger and quicker...you took it from there, unless there was more in the full transcript that I haven't read.

I do agree that body's have their limits, but just because the guy was 8lbs lighter last year doesn't mean that was his ideal weight for his body and responsibility. You kind of need to trust the professional athletes and training staff to know their own bodies.
And were I took it from there I inserted the words "Assumption on my part".

Okay, kind of a big one, but it does keep the thread going.
I don't like players adding weight to switch positions. Some people don't mind.

Its a discussion. No wrong, no right. Isn't that what most of us come here for? ;)

Not saying you're wrong, just not following your thought process. When you say the transcript tells me that if he added anymore weight it would slow him down, therefore he is at his limit....is a bit of a reach.


I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

He didn't say that for me is all I'm saying.

And, my smiling face is back at the top.

Marrdro
05-06-2010, 12:07 PM
tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?
So have I, but I've slowed down, my knees ache etc etc etc.

and? These guys play football. They made the choice to play football.

They're not average joes, with a frame to support 180, but they love their cheeseburgers too much and swell up to 230. No, they made the choice to play a dangerous, contact sport. They should be optimizing their bodies to be at their best.

Robison obviously wants to have more of an impact, but knows he probably needs to be stronger and bigger to do that. You can't just get stronger without gaining muscle mass. If he was content with playing backup and situational roles, then he'd stay as is, but he knows his career won't last long if he does.

Its his choice, and the risk is worth it to them. Plus, you know nothing about these guy's bodies.
I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

Here's what I read:

8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...

No where does he indicate that if he would have put 12lbs on then he starts to slow down. He simply said I put on 8-10lbs and got stronger and quicker...you took it from there, unless there was more in the full transcript that I haven't read.

I do agree that body's have their limits, but just because the guy was 8lbs lighter last year doesn't mean that was his ideal weight for his body and responsibility. You kind of need to trust the professional athletes and training staff to know their own bodies.
And were I took it from there I inserted the words "Assumption on my part".

Okay, kind of a big one, but it does keep the thread going.
I don't like players adding weight to switch positions. Some people don't mind.

Its a discussion. No wrong, no right. Isn't that what most of us come here for? ;)

Not saying you're wrong, just not following your thought process. When you say the transcript tells me that if he added anymore weight it would slow him down, therefore he is at his limit....is a bit of a reach.


I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

He didn't say that for me is all I'm saying.

And, my smiling face is back at the top.
When he associated how much he added and then talked about his speed, gets my pea brain going down that thought process.

Why would he talk about speed if he wasn't worried that he might be getting to the point were extra weight could be an issue in that regard?

i_bleed_purple
05-06-2010, 12:09 PM
Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?
So have I, but I've slowed down, my knees ache etc etc etc.

and? These guys play football. They made the choice to play football.

They're not average joes, with a frame to support 180, but they love their cheeseburgers too much and swell up to 230. No, they made the choice to play a dangerous, contact sport. They should be optimizing their bodies to be at their best.

Robison obviously wants to have more of an impact, but knows he probably needs to be stronger and bigger to do that. You can't just get stronger without gaining muscle mass. If he was content with playing backup and situational roles, then he'd stay as is, but he knows his career won't last long if he does.

Its his choice, and the risk is worth it to them. Plus, you know nothing about these guy's bodies.
I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

Here's what I read:

8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...

No where does he indicate that if he would have put 12lbs on then he starts to slow down. He simply said I put on 8-10lbs and got stronger and quicker...you took it from there, unless there was more in the full transcript that I haven't read.

I do agree that body's have their limits, but just because the guy was 8lbs lighter last year doesn't mean that was his ideal weight for his body and responsibility. You kind of need to trust the professional athletes and training staff to know their own bodies.
And were I took it from there I inserted the words "Assumption on my part".

Okay, kind of a big one, but it does keep the thread going.
I don't like players adding weight to switch positions. Some people don't mind.

Its a discussion. No wrong, no right. Isn't that what most of us come here for? ;)

Not saying you're wrong, just not following your thought process. When you say the transcript tells me that if he added anymore weight it would slow him down, therefore he is at his limit....is a bit of a reach.


I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

He didn't say that for me is all I'm saying.

And, my smiling face is back at the top.
When he associated how much he added and then talked about his speed, gets my pea brain going down that thought process.

Why would he talk about speed if he wasn't worried that he might be getting to the point were extra weight could be an issue in that regard?

because its pretty much a standard thought that gets involved with weight.

if you put on 20 lbs, you most likely will slow down. If you lose weight, you might get quicker. It happens with NFL players, hockey players, or just big fat dudes.

It doesn't mean he's worried about losing speed, it just means he knows that its possible, and he made sure he stayed as quick and fast as he was.

tastywaves
05-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?
So have I, but I've slowed down, my knees ache etc etc etc.

and? These guys play football. They made the choice to play football.

They're not average joes, with a frame to support 180, but they love their cheeseburgers too much and swell up to 230. No, they made the choice to play a dangerous, contact sport. They should be optimizing their bodies to be at their best.

Robison obviously wants to have more of an impact, but knows he probably needs to be stronger and bigger to do that. You can't just get stronger without gaining muscle mass. If he was content with playing backup and situational roles, then he'd stay as is, but he knows his career won't last long if he does.

Its his choice, and the risk is worth it to them. Plus, you know nothing about these guy's bodies.
I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

Here's what I read:

8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...

No where does he indicate that if he would have put 12lbs on then he starts to slow down. He simply said I put on 8-10lbs and got stronger and quicker...you took it from there, unless there was more in the full transcript that I haven't read.

I do agree that body's have their limits, but just because the guy was 8lbs lighter last year doesn't mean that was his ideal weight for his body and responsibility. You kind of need to trust the professional athletes and training staff to know their own bodies.
And were I took it from there I inserted the words "Assumption on my part".

Okay, kind of a big one, but it does keep the thread going.
I don't like players adding weight to switch positions. Some people don't mind.

Its a discussion. No wrong, no right. Isn't that what most of us come here for? ;)

Not saying you're wrong, just not following your thought process. When you say the transcript tells me that if he added anymore weight it would slow him down, therefore he is at his limit....is a bit of a reach.


I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

He didn't say that for me is all I'm saying.

And, my smiling face is back at the top.
When he associated how much he added and then talked about his speed, gets my pea brain going down that thought process.

Why would he talk about speed if he wasn't worried that he might be getting to the point were extra weight could be an issue in that regard?

I think its pretty natural to associate adding weight to losing speed. That's probalby why Robison made a point of saying he believes he didn't lose any speed, if anything, he actually is quicker. You can chose not to believe that, but that is what he said.

Marrdro
05-06-2010, 12:17 PM
tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?
So have I, but I've slowed down, my knees ache etc etc etc.

and? These guys play football. They made the choice to play football.

They're not average joes, with a frame to support 180, but they love their cheeseburgers too much and swell up to 230. No, they made the choice to play a dangerous, contact sport. They should be optimizing their bodies to be at their best.

Robison obviously wants to have more of an impact, but knows he probably needs to be stronger and bigger to do that. You can't just get stronger without gaining muscle mass. If he was content with playing backup and situational roles, then he'd stay as is, but he knows his career won't last long if he does.

Its his choice, and the risk is worth it to them. Plus, you know nothing about these guy's bodies.
I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

Here's what I read:

8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...

No where does he indicate that if he would have put 12lbs on then he starts to slow down. He simply said I put on 8-10lbs and got stronger and quicker...you took it from there, unless there was more in the full transcript that I haven't read.

I do agree that body's have their limits, but just because the guy was 8lbs lighter last year doesn't mean that was his ideal weight for his body and responsibility. You kind of need to trust the professional athletes and training staff to know their own bodies.
And were I took it from there I inserted the words "Assumption on my part".

Okay, kind of a big one, but it does keep the thread going.
I don't like players adding weight to switch positions. Some people don't mind.

Its a discussion. No wrong, no right. Isn't that what most of us come here for? ;)

Not saying you're wrong, just not following your thought process. When you say the transcript tells me that if he added anymore weight it would slow him down, therefore he is at his limit....is a bit of a reach.


I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

He didn't say that for me is all I'm saying.

And, my smiling face is back at the top.
When he associated how much he added and then talked about his speed, gets my pea brain going down that thought process.

Why would he talk about speed if he wasn't worried that he might be getting to the point were extra weight could be an issue in that regard?

I think its pretty natural to associate adding weight to losing speed. That's probalby why Robison made a point of saying he believes he didn't lose any speed, if anything, he actually is quicker. You can chose not to believe that, but that is what he said.
Why would I choose not to believe it? Has nothing to do with my feelings on players adding weight so that they can shift from one position to another.

Again, its my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

i_bleed_purple
05-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?
So have I, but I've slowed down, my knees ache etc etc etc.

and? These guys play football. They made the choice to play football.

They're not average joes, with a frame to support 180, but they love their cheeseburgers too much and swell up to 230. No, they made the choice to play a dangerous, contact sport. They should be optimizing their bodies to be at their best.

Robison obviously wants to have more of an impact, but knows he probably needs to be stronger and bigger to do that. You can't just get stronger without gaining muscle mass. If he was content with playing backup and situational roles, then he'd stay as is, but he knows his career won't last long if he does.

Its his choice, and the risk is worth it to them. Plus, you know nothing about these guy's bodies.
I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

Here's what I read:

8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...

No where does he indicate that if he would have put 12lbs on then he starts to slow down. He simply said I put on 8-10lbs and got stronger and quicker...you took it from there, unless there was more in the full transcript that I haven't read.

I do agree that body's have their limits, but just because the guy was 8lbs lighter last year doesn't mean that was his ideal weight for his body and responsibility. You kind of need to trust the professional athletes and training staff to know their own bodies.
And were I took it from there I inserted the words "Assumption on my part".

Okay, kind of a big one, but it does keep the thread going.
I don't like players adding weight to switch positions. Some people don't mind.

Its a discussion. No wrong, no right. Isn't that what most of us come here for? ;)

Not saying you're wrong, just not following your thought process. When you say the transcript tells me that if he added anymore weight it would slow him down, therefore he is at his limit....is a bit of a reach.


I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

He didn't say that for me is all I'm saying.

And, my smiling face is back at the top.
When he associated how much he added and then talked about his speed, gets my pea brain going down that thought process.

Why would he talk about speed if he wasn't worried that he might be getting to the point were extra weight could be an issue in that regard?

I think its pretty natural to associate adding weight to losing speed. That's probalby why Robison made a point of saying he believes he didn't lose any speed, if anything, he actually is quicker. You can chose not to believe that, but that is what he said.
Why would I choose not to believe it? Has nothing to do with my feelings on players adding weight so that they can shift from one position to another.

Again, its my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

question... do you think it would be better for him to just shift to DT and LE without adding weight?

the thing is, he gets very few reps at RE with Allen playing almost every snap. If he wants to prove he deserves a roster spot, it will have to be out of position, as sooner or later, his minimal contributions won't be enough and he'll be out on his ass somewhere. You might not like it, but it happens all the time.

Marrdro
05-06-2010, 12:32 PM
i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?
So have I, but I've slowed down, my knees ache etc etc etc.

and? These guys play football. They made the choice to play football.

They're not average joes, with a frame to support 180, but they love their cheeseburgers too much and swell up to 230. No, they made the choice to play a dangerous, contact sport. They should be optimizing their bodies to be at their best.

Robison obviously wants to have more of an impact, but knows he probably needs to be stronger and bigger to do that. You can't just get stronger without gaining muscle mass. If he was content with playing backup and situational roles, then he'd stay as is, but he knows his career won't last long if he does.

Its his choice, and the risk is worth it to them. Plus, you know nothing about these guy's bodies.
I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

Here's what I read:

8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...

No where does he indicate that if he would have put 12lbs on then he starts to slow down. He simply said I put on 8-10lbs and got stronger and quicker...you took it from there, unless there was more in the full transcript that I haven't read.

I do agree that body's have their limits, but just because the guy was 8lbs lighter last year doesn't mean that was his ideal weight for his body and responsibility. You kind of need to trust the professional athletes and training staff to know their own bodies.
And were I took it from there I inserted the words "Assumption on my part".

Okay, kind of a big one, but it does keep the thread going.
I don't like players adding weight to switch positions. Some people don't mind.

Its a discussion. No wrong, no right. Isn't that what most of us come here for? ;)

Not saying you're wrong, just not following your thought process. When you say the transcript tells me that if he added anymore weight it would slow him down, therefore he is at his limit....is a bit of a reach.


I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

He didn't say that for me is all I'm saying.

And, my smiling face is back at the top.
When he associated how much he added and then talked about his speed, gets my pea brain going down that thought process.

Why would he talk about speed if he wasn't worried that he might be getting to the point were extra weight could be an issue in that regard?

I think its pretty natural to associate adding weight to losing speed. That's probalby why Robison made a point of saying he believes he didn't lose any speed, if anything, he actually is quicker. You can chose not to believe that, but that is what he said.
Why would I choose not to believe it? Has nothing to do with my feelings on players adding weight so that they can shift from one position to another.

Again, its my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

question... do you think it would be better for him to just shift to DT and LE without adding weight?

the thing is, he gets very few reps at RE with Allen playing almost every snap. If he wants to prove he deserves a roster spot, it will have to be out of position, as sooner or later, his minimal contributions won't be enough and he'll be out on his ass somewhere. You might not like it, but it happens all the time.
Nope, definately not.

But what I would rather see is the staff add a true LDE (enter Everson) who would be a better fit and that would allow Rob rotate with JA at RDE (Keeps him fresher).

Absolutely no reason in hell we should see JA disappear late in games (especially late in the season) when we need him the most.

i_bleed_purple
05-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?
So have I, but I've slowed down, my knees ache etc etc etc.

and? These guys play football. They made the choice to play football.

They're not average joes, with a frame to support 180, but they love their cheeseburgers too much and swell up to 230. No, they made the choice to play a dangerous, contact sport. They should be optimizing their bodies to be at their best.

Robison obviously wants to have more of an impact, but knows he probably needs to be stronger and bigger to do that. You can't just get stronger without gaining muscle mass. If he was content with playing backup and situational roles, then he'd stay as is, but he knows his career won't last long if he does.

Its his choice, and the risk is worth it to them. Plus, you know nothing about these guy's bodies.
I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

Here's what I read:

8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...

No where does he indicate that if he would have put 12lbs on then he starts to slow down. He simply said I put on 8-10lbs and got stronger and quicker...you took it from there, unless there was more in the full transcript that I haven't read.

I do agree that body's have their limits, but just because the guy was 8lbs lighter last year doesn't mean that was his ideal weight for his body and responsibility. You kind of need to trust the professional athletes and training staff to know their own bodies.
And were I took it from there I inserted the words "Assumption on my part".

Okay, kind of a big one, but it does keep the thread going.
I don't like players adding weight to switch positions. Some people don't mind.

Its a discussion. No wrong, no right. Isn't that what most of us come here for? ;)

Not saying you're wrong, just not following your thought process. When you say the transcript tells me that if he added anymore weight it would slow him down, therefore he is at his limit....is a bit of a reach.


I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

He didn't say that for me is all I'm saying.

And, my smiling face is back at the top.
When he associated how much he added and then talked about his speed, gets my pea brain going down that thought process.

Why would he talk about speed if he wasn't worried that he might be getting to the point were extra weight could be an issue in that regard?

I think its pretty natural to associate adding weight to losing speed. That's probalby why Robison made a point of saying he believes he didn't lose any speed, if anything, he actually is quicker. You can chose not to believe that, but that is what he said.
Why would I choose not to believe it? Has nothing to do with my feelings on players adding weight so that they can shift from one position to another.

Again, its my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

question... do you think it would be better for him to just shift to DT and LE without adding weight?

the thing is, he gets very few reps at RE with Allen playing almost every snap. If he wants to prove he deserves a roster spot, it will have to be out of position, as sooner or later, his minimal contributions won't be enough and he'll be out on his ass somewhere. You might not like it, but it happens all the time.
Nope, definately not.

But what I would rather see is the staff add a true LDE (enter Everson) who would be a better fit and that would allow Rob rotate with JA at RDE (Keeps him fresher).

Absolutely no reason in hell we should see JA disappear late in games (especially late in the season) when we need him the most.

its funny. I usually just went with that whole "JA disappears late in the sesaon" because I didn't bother looking up the stats, but when I actually do:

JA: 14.5 sacks. 7.5 came against the packers in 2 games, leaving 7 for the rest of the season.

In weeks 12-17, he had 4 sacks, with 2 in week 12, 1 in week 15 and 1 in week 17.

he had an interception in week 12, a forced fumble in each of weeks 15 and 17

14 tackles in that 6 week span

So, in the last 6 games (37% of the season), he had 27% of his sacks, 100% of his interceptions, 40% of his forced fumbles and 32% of his tackles.

In the playoffs, he had 1 deflection, one forced fumble, and one sack in the cowboys game.

In the saints game he got held in check.

To compare to your boy Ray

in the same span, he had 3 sacks, and 14 tackles. Nothing else.

I the playoffs, he had a great game agains the cowboys, and got a sack in the saints game.

Marrdro
05-06-2010, 12:45 PM
i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?
So have I, but I've slowed down, my knees ache etc etc etc.

and? These guys play football. They made the choice to play football.

They're not average joes, with a frame to support 180, but they love their cheeseburgers too much and swell up to 230. No, they made the choice to play a dangerous, contact sport. They should be optimizing their bodies to be at their best.

Robison obviously wants to have more of an impact, but knows he probably needs to be stronger and bigger to do that. You can't just get stronger without gaining muscle mass. If he was content with playing backup and situational roles, then he'd stay as is, but he knows his career won't last long if he does.

Its his choice, and the risk is worth it to them. Plus, you know nothing about these guy's bodies.
I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

Here's what I read:

8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...

No where does he indicate that if he would have put 12lbs on then he starts to slow down. He simply said I put on 8-10lbs and got stronger and quicker...you took it from there, unless there was more in the full transcript that I haven't read.

I do agree that body's have their limits, but just because the guy was 8lbs lighter last year doesn't mean that was his ideal weight for his body and responsibility. You kind of need to trust the professional athletes and training staff to know their own bodies.
And were I took it from there I inserted the words "Assumption on my part".

Okay, kind of a big one, but it does keep the thread going.
I don't like players adding weight to switch positions. Some people don't mind.

Its a discussion. No wrong, no right. Isn't that what most of us come here for? ;)

Not saying you're wrong, just not following your thought process. When you say the transcript tells me that if he added anymore weight it would slow him down, therefore he is at his limit....is a bit of a reach.


I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

He didn't say that for me is all I'm saying.

And, my smiling face is back at the top.
When he associated how much he added and then talked about his speed, gets my pea brain going down that thought process.

Why would he talk about speed if he wasn't worried that he might be getting to the point were extra weight could be an issue in that regard?

I think its pretty natural to associate adding weight to losing speed. That's probalby why Robison made a point of saying he believes he didn't lose any speed, if anything, he actually is quicker. You can chose not to believe that, but that is what he said.
Why would I choose not to believe it? Has nothing to do with my feelings on players adding weight so that they can shift from one position to another.

Again, its my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

question... do you think it would be better for him to just shift to DT and LE without adding weight?

the thing is, he gets very few reps at RE with Allen playing almost every snap. If he wants to prove he deserves a roster spot, it will have to be out of position, as sooner or later, his minimal contributions won't be enough and he'll be out on his ass somewhere. You might not like it, but it happens all the time.
Nope, definately not.

But what I would rather see is the staff add a true LDE (enter Everson) who would be a better fit and that would allow Rob rotate with JA at RDE (Keeps him fresher).

Absolutely no reason in hell we should see JA disappear late in games (especially late in the season) when we need him the most.

its funny. I usually just went with that whole "JA disappears late in the sesaon" because I didn't bother looking up the stats, but when I actually do:

JA: 14.5 sacks. 7.5 came against the packers in 2 games, leaving 7 for the rest of the season.

In weeks 12-17, he had 4 sacks, with 2 in week 12, 1 in week 15 and 1 in week 17.

he had an interception in week 12, a forced fumble in each of weeks 15 and 17

14 tackles in that 6 week span

So, in the last 6 games (37% of the season), he had 27% of his sacks, 100% of his interceptions, 40% of his forced fumbles and 32% of his tackles.

In the playoffs, he had 1 deflection, one forced fumble, and one sack in the cowboys game.

In the saints game he got held in check.

To compare to your boy Ray

in the same span, he had 3 sacks, and 14 tackles. Nothing else.

I the playoffs, he had a great game agains the cowboys, and got a sack in the saints game.
And even though he got a sack in the Saints game, he was manhandled by the LT alone for most of the game.

By the way, read the transcript. Were does Rob say most of the double teams take place..... :dry:

i_bleed_purple
05-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

tastywaves wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

Marrdro wrote:

i_bleed_purple wrote:

I can go with that, but how do you know his body is designed for X, but right now he's carrying X minus Y? Lots of players add weight, especially rookies and backups trying to make a bigger impact. You keep saying Bigger, Faster and Stronger. Should stay true especially with DLine.

and that is key. If he put on 20 lbs, then I could see an issue, but 10 lbs, enough to bulk up and be a bit strong shouldn't hurt him.

But when I say bigger stronger faster, I mean guys that have frame designed to carry that weight.

At some point they will add to much. Again, back to his point in the transcript. He only added 8-10 lbs cause any more would slow him down. Assumption off of that statement is that he is at that point were he can't add anymore.


sooo... do you think they put in special guards and centers for passing plays? Nope. Often the biggest strongest guys are right in th emiddle, and he gets to take them on.
Nope, same G's, C's and T's. What you don't see is a FB or a RB chipping on DT's and you don't see the G's and C's run blocking, you see them backing up in thier blocking technique, not trying to drive him into the ground.


Football's a violent sport by nature, the general wear and tear on his body will have more of an impact than him carrying around 10 extra lbs.
I would agree 100% on this, if in fact he was only carrying an extra 10, but that isn't the case. He has added weight at every level. Again, at some point it will get to be to much.

I've constantly added weight? SHould I be 5'8", 9 lbs 8 oz?
So have I, but I've slowed down, my knees ache etc etc etc.

and? These guys play football. They made the choice to play football.

They're not average joes, with a frame to support 180, but they love their cheeseburgers too much and swell up to 230. No, they made the choice to play a dangerous, contact sport. They should be optimizing their bodies to be at their best.

Robison obviously wants to have more of an impact, but knows he probably needs to be stronger and bigger to do that. You can't just get stronger without gaining muscle mass. If he was content with playing backup and situational roles, then he'd stay as is, but he knows his career won't last long if he does.

Its his choice, and the risk is worth it to them. Plus, you know nothing about these guy's bodies.
I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

Here's what I read:

8:09 Brian Robison: Well I have put on about 8-10 pounds depending on when I weigh and I have stayed the same speed if not a step quicker...

No where does he indicate that if he would have put 12lbs on then he starts to slow down. He simply said I put on 8-10lbs and got stronger and quicker...you took it from there, unless there was more in the full transcript that I haven't read.

I do agree that body's have their limits, but just because the guy was 8lbs lighter last year doesn't mean that was his ideal weight for his body and responsibility. You kind of need to trust the professional athletes and training staff to know their own bodies.
And were I took it from there I inserted the words "Assumption on my part".

Okay, kind of a big one, but it does keep the thread going.
I don't like players adding weight to switch positions. Some people don't mind.

Its a discussion. No wrong, no right. Isn't that what most of us come here for? ;)

Not saying you're wrong, just not following your thought process. When you say the transcript tells me that if he added anymore weight it would slow him down, therefore he is at his limit....is a bit of a reach.


I don't have to know thier bodies, he said it for me or haven't you read the transcript yet?

He didn't say that for me is all I'm saying.

And, my smiling face is back at the top.
When he associated how much he added and then talked about his speed, gets my pea brain going down that thought process.

Why would he talk about speed if he wasn't worried that he might be getting to the point were extra weight could be an issue in that regard?

I think its pretty natural to associate adding weight to losing speed. That's probalby why Robison made a point of saying he believes he didn't lose any speed, if anything, he actually is quicker. You can chose not to believe that, but that is what he said.
Why would I choose not to believe it? Has nothing to do with my feelings on players adding weight so that they can shift from one position to another.

Again, its my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

question... do you think it would be better for him to just shift to DT and LE without adding weight?

the thing is, he gets very few reps at RE with Allen playing almost every snap. If he wants to prove he deserves a roster spot, it will have to be out of position, as sooner or later, his minimal contributions won't be enough and he'll be out on his ass somewhere. You might not like it, but it happens all the time.
Nope, definately not.

But what I would rather see is the staff add a true LDE (enter Everson) who would be a better fit and that would allow Rob rotate with JA at RDE (Keeps him fresher).

Absolutely no reason in hell we should see JA disappear late in games (especially late in the season) when we need him the most.

its funny. I usually just went with that whole "JA disappears late in the sesaon" because I didn't bother looking up the stats, but when I actually do:

JA: 14.5 sacks. 7.5 came against the packers in 2 games, leaving 7 for the rest of the season.

In weeks 12-17, he had 4 sacks, with 2 in week 12, 1 in week 15 and 1 in week 17.

he had an interception in week 12, a forced fumble in each of weeks 15 and 17

14 tackles in that 6 week span

So, in the last 6 games (37% of the season), he had 27% of his sacks, 100% of his interceptions, 40% of his forced fumbles and 32% of his tackles.

In the playoffs, he had 1 deflection, one forced fumble, and one sack in the cowboys game.

In the saints game he got held in check.

To compare to your boy Ray

in the same span, he had 3 sacks, and 14 tackles. Nothing else.

I the playoffs, he had a great game agains the cowboys, and got a sack in the saints game.
And even though he got a sack in the Saints game, he was manhandled by the LT alone for most of the game.

By the way, read the transcript. Were does Rob say most of the double teams take place..... :dry:

and your point is?

Overlord
05-06-2010, 05:47 PM
I always have doubts when players are changing their weight significantly, and 10 pounds is fairly significant. Not that it can't be a good thing. It's just that no player ever comes out and says, "yeah, I put on about 15 pounds, I think that's going to make me a little slower so that I can't be as effective." Everyone thinks it's going to make them better, and talks about how much better they're going to be.

Sometimes it does. Sometimes it doesn't. Have to see it on the field to know for sure.

But I'm actually not sure that putting on the weight has a specific football goal like 'holding up on the left side'. It definitely might. It could also be more related to his Olympic training, feeling he needs to get his strength up for that and figuring as long as he keeps his quickness up it can't hurt on the field.

Marrdro wrote:


By the way, read the transcript. Were does Rob say most of the double teams take place..... :dry:
When he was talking about being doubled, it was a reference to running plays to the strong side. Strong side isn't necessarily right or left, though some teams have tendencies one way or the other. He also mentioned that they got doubled weak side too. Whenever the opposing team is running at you, if you're a defensive lineman, you have a good chance of seeing a double or combo block.