PDA

View Full Version : Chilly always win...



BleedinPandG
01-20-2010, 06:55 AM
http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34939522/ns/sports-nfl/

"Brad Childress has always been an easy target. Heís always been all business, a guy youíre not sure has teeth because youíve never seen him smile. A guy who always looks like heís in line at the local DMV.

Brad Childress is the perfect fall guy."

Interesting article... it's always tough to tell where to place blame or where to give credit in an organism as complicated as a football team... but you have to admit, the author has a point... Childress has been involved in winning programs.

CulpepperViking16
01-20-2010, 07:32 AM
BleedinPandG wrote:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34939522/ns/sports-nfl/

"Brad Childress has always been an easy target. Heís always been all business, a guy youíre not sure has teeth because youíve never seen him smile. A guy who always looks like heís in line at the local DMV.

Brad Childress is the perfect fall guy."

Interesting article... it's always tough to tell where to place blame or where to give credit in an organism as complicated as a football team... but you have to admit, the author has a point... Childress has been involved in winning programs.

Agreed. Not being in Minnesota, i haven't really seen too many ways to hate him (as most of you guys do). I think he's all business and knows what he's doing. Unfortunately, some of the players and baggage from the McCombs/Tice era didn't like the authority he possessed, which delayed his goals for coaching. It's hard to say much if he takes us to the superbowl

Zeus
01-20-2010, 08:18 AM
CulpepperViking16 wrote:

BleedinPandG wrote:

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/34939522/ns/sports-nfl/

"Brad Childress has always been an easy target. Heís always been all business, a guy youíre not sure has teeth because youíve never seen him smile. A guy who always looks like heís in line at the local DMV.

Brad Childress is the perfect fall guy."

Interesting article... it's always tough to tell where to place blame or where to give credit in an organism as complicated as a football team... but you have to admit, the author has a point... Childress has been involved in winning programs.

Agreed. Not being in Minnesota, i haven't really seen too many ways to hate him (as most of you guys do). I think he's all business and knows what he's doing. Unfortunately, some of the players and baggage from the McCombs/Tice era didn't like the authority he possessed, which delayed his goals for coaching. It's hard to say much if he takes us to the superbowl

Yesterday, on KFAN, I heard both Pete Bercich (former Viking, former Viking LB coach, current Viking play-by-play guy) and Steve Mariucci (former NFL head coach, current talking head on NFLN) talk about what a great job Childress is doing with this team.

I trust their opinions just a tad more than some of the wonks on PPO.

=Z=

Flidais
01-20-2010, 08:29 AM
I think after the Green/Tice eras most of the Vikings fans have trust issues with coaches.

Or at least I do.

I will admit Chilly is growing on me, press conference by press conference. The smirking as he was talking about Keith Brooking was pretty good.

marstc09
01-20-2010, 08:49 AM
Childress getting little credit for Vikesí success


Heís all substance. A guy focused on philosophy and watching tape and creating strategies.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-disregardchildress011910&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

C Mac D
01-20-2010, 09:31 AM
Funny... for a guy who always wins... he's never won a championship... at any level.

Prophet
01-20-2010, 09:52 AM
C Mac D wrote:

Funny... for a guy who always wins... he's never won a championship... at any level.

Especially if you don't count the first back-to-back NFCN Champs since the late 70s when it was the NFCC. Or the fact that he accomplished that while completely changing the offensive and defensive schemes with two differen defensive coordinators and special team coaches in <5 yrs in his first gig as an NFL coach. Yeah, he sucks. Besides, you are only two games away from changing your name to Brad Childress.

C Mac D
01-20-2010, 10:38 AM
Prophet wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

Funny... for a guy who always wins... he's never won a championship... at any level.

Especially if you don't count the first back-to-back NFCN Champs since the late 70s when it was the NFCC. Or the fact that he accomplished that while completely changing the offensive and defensive schemes with two differen defensive coordinators and special team coaches in <5 yrs in his first gig as an NFL coach. Yeah, he sucks. Besides, you are only two games away from changing your name to Brad Childress.

I'd love to carry the name Brad Childress. I've already got the arrogance and faux football knowledge down pat.

Prophet
01-20-2010, 11:37 AM
C Mac D wrote:

Prophet wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

Funny... for a guy who always wins... he's never won a championship... at any level.

Especially if you don't count the first back-to-back NFCN Champs since the late 70s when it was the NFCC. Or the fact that he accomplished that while completely changing the offensive and defensive schemes with two differen defensive coordinators and special team coaches in <5 yrs in his first gig as an NFL coach. Yeah, he sucks. Besides, you are only two games away from changing your name to Brad Childress.

I'd love to carry the name Brad Childress. I've already got the arrogance and faux football knowledge down pat.

You definitely have the look and knowledge for the job. You can go down to nawlins this weekend and cross-dress and you will have him down to a tee.

marshallvike
01-20-2010, 11:39 AM
Prophet wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

Funny... for a guy who always wins... he's never won a championship... at any level.

Especially if you don't count the first back-to-back NFCN Champs since the late 70s when it was the NFCC. Or the fact that he accomplished that while completely changing the offensive and defensive schemes with two differen defensive coordinators and special team coaches in <5 yrs in his first gig as an NFL coach. Yeah, he sucks. Besides, you are only two games away from changing your name to Brad Childress.


I don't know proph, I thought we still played the cover two. And we are still running the WCO/KAO. Just that someone else is calling the plays now so it actually works. That someone usually keeps his hands warm caressing Sullivan's huevos.

Prophet
01-20-2010, 11:47 AM
marshallvike wrote:

Prophet wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

Funny... for a guy who always wins... he's never won a championship... at any level.

Especially if you don't count the first back-to-back NFCN Champs since the late 70s when it was the NFCC. Or the fact that he accomplished that while completely changing the offensive and defensive schemes with two differen defensive coordinators and special team coaches in <5 yrs in his first gig as an NFL coach. Yeah, he sucks. Besides, you are only two games away from changing your name to Brad Childress.


I don't know proph, I thought we still played the cover two. And we are still running the WCO/KAO. Just that someone else is calling the plays now so it actually works. That someone usually keeps his hands warm caressing Sullivan's huevos.

I'm talking since Childress took the reigns. There wasn't a cover two when meathead was in town, with the exception of meathead coving his two huevos on the love boat. Yes, Sullivan's huevo warmer sure didn't hurt the situation either, but, one of the two NFCN was won with two clowns warming Birk's huevos.

BleedinPandG
01-20-2010, 11:53 AM
marshallvike wrote:

Prophet wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

Funny... for a guy who always wins... he's never won a championship... at any level.

Especially if you don't count the first back-to-back NFCN Champs since the late 70s when it was the NFCC. Or the fact that he accomplished that while completely changing the offensive and defensive schemes with two differen defensive coordinators and special team coaches in <5 yrs in his first gig as an NFL coach. Yeah, he sucks. Besides, you are only two games away from changing your name to Brad Childress.


I don't know proph, I thought we still played the cover two. And we are still running the WCO/KAO. Just that someone else is calling the plays now so it actually works. That someone usually keeps his hands warm caressing Sullivan's huevos.

See... this is just silliness... Favre has been in the league, what, 18 years? He has played in the WCO essentially his entire career. NEVER, prior to this year, prior to this team, prior to this scheme developed by this coach, has he ever performed at the level he did this year. You can give Favre all the credit you want, but he is simply a tool. That tool has been used in the past and gotten good results, but never the types of results it achieved this year in the hands of a more masterful carpenter. I do not believe the tool improved after 18 years of use, it seems more intuitive that the new man wielding the tool is superior to those who previously tried.

marstc09
01-20-2010, 11:57 AM
C Mac D wrote:

Prophet wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

Funny... for a guy who always wins... he's never won a championship... at any level.

Especially if you don't count the first back-to-back NFCN Champs since the late 70s when it was the NFCC. Or the fact that he accomplished that while completely changing the offensive and defensive schemes with two differen defensive coordinators and special team coaches in <5 yrs in his first gig as an NFL coach. Yeah, he sucks. Besides, you are only two games away from changing your name to Brad Childress.

I'd love to carry the name Brad Childress. I've already got the arrogance and faux football knowledge down pat.

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd72/marstc09/chilly.png

Prophet
01-20-2010, 12:02 PM
BleedinPandG wrote:

...it seems more intuitive that the new man wielding the tool is superior to those who previously tried.

So, you're trying to tell me that Favre is a better QB than O'Sullivan, Booty, Frerotte, Johnson, Jackson, Rosenfels, Bollinger, Holcomb, or any other QB that has been in the fold since Childress' tenure? What are you smokin'?

LaBonBon
01-20-2010, 12:20 PM
See... this is just silliness... Favre has been in the league, what, 18 years? He has played in the WCO essentially his entire career. NEVER, prior to this year, prior to this team, prior to this scheme developed by this coach, has he ever performed at the level he did this year. You can give Favre all the credit you want, but he is simply a tool. That tool has been used in the past and gotten good results, but never the types of results it achieved this year in the hands of a more masterful carpenter. I do not believe the tool improved after 18 years of use, it seems more intuitive that the new man wielding the tool is superior to those who previously tried.

Well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zeus
01-20-2010, 01:12 PM
BleedinPandG wrote:

You can give Favre all the credit you want, but he is simply a tool.

That's gonna be Marrdro's new signature, you know.

=Z=

jmcdon00
01-20-2010, 01:50 PM
BleedinPandG wrote:

marshallvike wrote:

Prophet wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

Funny... for a guy who always wins... he's never won a championship... at any level.

Especially if you don't count the first back-to-back NFCN Champs since the late 70s when it was the NFCC. Or the fact that he accomplished that while completely changing the offensive and defensive schemes with two differen defensive coordinators and special team coaches in <5 yrs in his first gig as an NFL coach. Yeah, he sucks. Besides, you are only two games away from changing your name to Brad Childress.


I don't know proph, I thought we still played the cover two. And we are still running the WCO/KAO. Just that someone else is calling the plays now so it actually works. That someone usually keeps his hands warm caressing Sullivan's huevos.

See... this is just silliness... Favre has been in the league, what, 18 years? He has played in the WCO essentially his entire career. NEVER, prior to this year, prior to this team, prior to this scheme developed by this coach, has he ever performed at the level he did this year. You can give Favre all the credit you want, but he is simply a tool. That tool has been used in the past and gotten good results, but never the types of results it achieved this year in the hands of a more masterful carpenter. I do not believe the tool improved after 18 years of use, it seems more intuitive that the new man wielding the tool is superior to those who previously tried.
Kinda like he taught Peterson how to run? It's always a too way street. The coaches look better when the players play well and the players look better when the coaches coach well. I'm not about to give Chilly all the credit for Brett Favre's success, though he couldn't have done it without them.

marshallvike
01-20-2010, 01:53 PM
BleedinPandG wrote:

marshallvike wrote:

Prophet wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

Funny... for a guy who always wins... he's never won a championship... at any level.

Especially if you don't count the first back-to-back NFCN Champs since the late 70s when it was the NFCC. Or the fact that he accomplished that while completely changing the offensive and defensive schemes with two differen defensive coordinators and special team coaches in <5 yrs in his first gig as an NFL coach. Yeah, he sucks. Besides, you are only two games away from changing your name to Brad Childress.


I don't know proph, I thought we still played the cover two. And we are still running the WCO/KAO. Just that someone else is calling the plays now so it actually works. That someone usually keeps his hands warm caressing Sullivan's huevos.

See... this is just silliness... FavreChilly has been in the league, what, 18 4years? He has played coachedin the WCO essentially his entire career. NEVER, prior to this year, prior to this team, prior to this scheme developed deployedby this coachQB, has he ever performed at the level he did this year. You can give Favre all the credit


you want, but heChilly is simply a tool. That tool has been used in the past and gotten good results, but never the types of results it achieved this year in the hands of a more masterful carpenter. I do not believe the toolcoach improved after 18 4years of use, it seems more intuitive that the new man wielding the tool is superior to those who previously tried.

fixed it

slavinator
01-20-2010, 02:08 PM
"Everywhere Childress has gone, his teams have won, and if you believe itís all coincidence then itís a sure sign you still write letters to Santa."


We have all had our doubts about Chilli, but this line is just a classic.

Brazilian Rider
01-20-2010, 02:11 PM
marshallvike wrote:

BleedinPandG wrote:

marshallvike wrote:

Prophet wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

Funny... for a guy who always wins... he's never won a championship... at any level.

Especially if you don't count the first back-to-back NFCN Champs since the late 70s when it was the NFCC. Or the fact that he accomplished that while completely changing the offensive and defensive schemes with two differen defensive coordinators and special team coaches in <5 yrs in his first gig as an NFL coach. Yeah, he sucks. Besides, you are only two games away from changing your name to Brad Childress.


I don't know proph, I thought we still played the cover two. And we are still running the WCO/KAO. Just that someone else is calling the plays now so it actually works. That someone usually keeps his hands warm caressing Sullivan's huevos.

See... this is just silliness... FavreChilly has been in the league, what, 18 4years? He has played coachedin the WCO essentially his entire career. NEVER, prior to this year, prior to this team, prior to this scheme developed deployedby this coachQB, has he ever performed at the level he did this year. You can give Favre all the credit


you want, but heChilly is simply a tool. That tool has been used in the past and gotten good results, but never the types of results it achieved this year in the hands of a more masterful carpenter. I do not believe the toolcoach improved after 18 4years of use, it seems more intuitive that the new man wielding the tool is superior to those who previously tried.

fixed it

That must have taken so much patience that even though I don't necessarily agree with you, I applaud you.

marshallvike
01-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Brazilian Rider wrote:

marshallvike wrote:

BleedinPandG wrote:

marshallvike wrote:

Prophet wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

Funny... for a guy who always wins... he's never won a championship... at any level.

Especially if you don't count the first back-to-back NFCN Champs since the late 70s when it was the NFCC. Or the fact that he accomplished that while completely changing the offensive and defensive schemes with two differen defensive coordinators and special team coaches in <5 yrs in his first gig as an NFL coach. Yeah, he sucks. Besides, you are only two games away from changing your name to Brad Childress.


I don't know proph, I thought we still played the cover two. And we are still running the WCO/KAO. Just that someone else is calling the plays now so it actually works. That someone usually keeps his hands warm caressing Sullivan's huevos.

See... this is just silliness... FavreChilly has been in the league, what, 18 4years? He has played coachedin the WCO essentially his entire career. NEVER, prior to this year, prior to this team, prior to this scheme developed deployedby this coachQB, has he ever performed at the level he did this year. You can give Favre all the credit


you want, but heChilly is simply a tool. That tool has been used in the past and gotten good results, but never the types of results it achieved this year in the hands of a more masterful carpenter. I do not believe the toolcoach improved after 18 4years of use, it seems more intuitive that the new man wielding the tool is superior to those who previously tried.

fixed it

That must have taken so much patience that even though I don't necessarily agree with you, I applaud you.

Just thought I would pick up the slack while marr is in the closet.

C Mac D
01-20-2010, 02:28 PM
slavinator wrote:

"Everywhere Childress has gone, his teams have won, and if you believe itís all coincidence then itís a sure sign you still write letters to Santa."


We have all had our doubts about Chilli, but this line is just a classic.

The writer fails to notice that Childress loses... a lot. Pretty much his entire career.

He's never won a National Championship or a Super Bowl... hell, he's never even won a HS State Championship... which brings to mind the question, what has he won?


Nothing.

Yet.

slavinator
01-20-2010, 02:31 PM
C Mac D wrote:

slavinator wrote:

"Everywhere Childress has gone, his teams have won, and if you believe itís all coincidence then itís a sure sign you still write letters to Santa."


We have all had our doubts about Chilli, but this line is just a classic.

The writer fails to notice that Childress loses... a lot. Pretty much his entire career.

He's never won a National Championship or a Super Bowl... hell, he's never even won a HS State Championship... which brings to mind the question, what has he won?


Nothing.

Yet.

Yet being the operative word ;)

jmcdon00
01-20-2010, 03:23 PM
C Mac D wrote:

slavinator wrote:

"Everywhere Childress has gone, his teams have won, and if you believe itís all coincidence then itís a sure sign you still write letters to Santa."


We have all had our doubts about Chilli, but this line is just a classic.

The writer fails to notice that Childress loses... a lot. Pretty much his entire career.

He's never won a National Championship or a Super Bowl... hell, he's never even won a HS State Championship... which brings to mind the question, what has he won?


Nothing.

Yet.
A couple NFC North Championships.
Probably a few NFC East Championships.
The NFC Championship.
The Rose Bowl.

Childress's career winning percentage in his 30 years of coaching is 56%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Childress

C Mac D
01-20-2010, 03:25 PM
jmcdon00 wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

slavinator wrote:

"Everywhere Childress has gone, his teams have won, and if you believe itís all coincidence then itís a sure sign you still write letters to Santa."


We have all had our doubts about Chilli, but this line is just a classic.

The writer fails to notice that Childress loses... a lot. Pretty much his entire career.

He's never won a National Championship or a Super Bowl... hell, he's never even won a HS State Championship... which brings to mind the question, what has he won?


Nothing.

Yet.
A couple NFC North Championships.
Probably a few NFC East Championships.
The NFC Championship.
The Rose Bowl.

Childress's career winning percentage in his 30 years of coaching is 56%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Childress

Equating to a total of zero Super Bowls and National Championships... just like I said.

But hey, if you're fine settling for 2nd place, more power to you.

Zeus
01-20-2010, 03:28 PM
C Mac D wrote:

jmcdon00 wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

slavinator wrote:

"Everywhere Childress has gone, his teams have won, and if you believe itís all coincidence then itís a sure sign you still write letters to Santa."


We have all had our doubts about Chilli, but this line is just a classic.

The writer fails to notice that Childress loses... a lot. Pretty much his entire career.

He's never won a National Championship or a Super Bowl... hell, he's never even won a HS State Championship... which brings to mind the question, what has he won?


Nothing.

Yet.
A couple NFC North Championships.
Probably a few NFC East Championships.
The NFC Championship.
The Rose Bowl.

Childress's career winning percentage in his 30 years of coaching is 56%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Childress

Equating to a total of zero Super Bowls and National Championships... just like I said.

But hey, if you're fine settling for 2nd place, more power to you.

So - Bud Grant's a loser, too, eh?

=Z=

C Mac D
01-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Zeus wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

jmcdon00 wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

slavinator wrote:

"Everywhere Childress has gone, his teams have won, and if you believe itís all coincidence then itís a sure sign you still write letters to Santa."


We have all had our doubts about Chilli, but this line is just a classic.

The writer fails to notice that Childress loses... a lot. Pretty much his entire career.

He's never won a National Championship or a Super Bowl... hell, he's never even won a HS State Championship... which brings to mind the question, what has he won?


Nothing.

Yet.
A couple NFC North Championships.
Probably a few NFC East Championships.
The NFC Championship.
The Rose Bowl.

Childress's career winning percentage in his 30 years of coaching is 56%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Childress

Equating to a total of zero Super Bowls and National Championships... just like I said.

But hey, if you're fine settling for 2nd place, more power to you.

So - Bud Grant's a loser, too, eh?

=Z=

Well, He certianly won a lot of regular season games... but I consider him exactly the same as Marv Levy. Good coach, jut not good enough to win it all.

Holmstrom
01-20-2010, 03:55 PM
I was at the head of the angry mob ready to storm Chilly's house and run him out of town. It's funny what a playoff win can do for the way you view a guy. Win one on the road and I'm your's Chilly. :kiss:

C Mac D
01-20-2010, 04:00 PM
Holmstrom wrote:

I was at the head of the angry mob ready to storm Chilly's house and run him out of town. It's funny what a playoff win can do for the way you view a guy. Win one on the road and I'm your's Chilly. :kiss:

Does no one remember the Carolina game? How about the beginning of the Bears game the following week? Funny, the second half of the Bears game Vikes put up 30+ points... and Childress said after the game that he thought the reporters would "let him have it" because his run-first philosophy was chucked out the door in the second half.

Since the second half of the Bears game, the Vikes have been the most potent team in the league.

Chilly's coaching got tossed out the door in favor of letting Favre run the offense.

Holmstrom
01-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Just another good decision by Chilly, IMO. You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em. :)

KrackerJack
01-20-2010, 04:18 PM
C Mac D wrote:

Holmstrom wrote:

I was at the head of the angry mob ready to storm Chilly's house and run him out of town. It's funny what a playoff win can do for the way you view a guy. Win one on the road and I'm your's Chilly. :kiss:

Does no one remember the Carolina game? How about the beginning of the Bears game the following week? Funny, the second half of the Bears game Vikes put up 30+ points... and Childress said after the game that he thought the reporters would "let him have it" because his run-first philosophy was chucked out the door in the second half.

Since the second half of the Bears game, the Vikes have been the most potent team in the league.

Chilly's coaching got tossed out the door in favor of letting Favre run the offense.

Yes, but about 99% of people agreed wit him, in the media, in here, other football people around the league. Obvisouly not all credible, but there aren't many people out there that could say after words "You idiot, Childress"... because just about everybody agreed with him that we need to get the run going.

Hell, people still thought we need to get AD going to beat Dallas. Childress may have been wrong about the running game in the last few weeks, but he adapted just how he needed to and now we're fine.

Zeus
01-20-2010, 04:27 PM
C Mac D wrote:

Holmstrom wrote:

I was at the head of the angry mob ready to storm Chilly's house and run him out of town. It's funny what a playoff win can do for the way you view a guy. Win one on the road and I'm your's Chilly. :kiss:

Does no one remember the Carolina game? How about the beginning of the Bears game the following week? Funny, the second half of the Bears game Vikes put up 30+ points... and Childress said after the game that he thought the reporters would "let him have it" because his run-first philosophy was chucked out the door in the second half.

Since the second half of the Bears game, the Vikes have been the most potent team in the league.

Chilly's coaching got tossed out the door in favor of letting Favre run the offense.

Sure. You keep telling yourself that. Favre's doing it all by himself. Game plans. Formation calls. Actual play calls. The coaches are just playing tiddlywinks and pocket pool while The Silver Fox runs the show.

=Z=

C Mac D
01-20-2010, 04:29 PM
KrackerJack wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

Holmstrom wrote:

I was at the head of the angry mob ready to storm Chilly's house and run him out of town. It's funny what a playoff win can do for the way you view a guy. Win one on the road and I'm your's Chilly. :kiss:

Does no one remember the Carolina game? How about the beginning of the Bears game the following week? Funny, the second half of the Bears game Vikes put up 30+ points... and Childress said after the game that he thought the reporters would "let him have it" because his run-first philosophy was chucked out the door in the second half.

Since the second half of the Bears game, the Vikes have been the most potent team in the league.

Chilly's coaching got tossed out the door in favor of letting Favre run the offense.

Yes, but about 99% of people agreed wit him, in the media, in here, other football people around the league. Obvisouly not all credible, but there aren't many people out there that could say after words "You idiot, Childress"... because just about everybody agreed with him that we need to get the run going.

Hell, people still thought we need to get AD going to beat Dallas. Childress may have been wrong about the running game in the last few weeks, but he adapted just how he needed to and now we're fine.

Well, if it was only that... you'd be correct. However, you are not.

Chilly has never been a very good evaluator of talent... He was hesitant about using Rice throughout the first half of the season, until Favre forced the issue (watched Favre mic'ed up vs the Lions...). For some reason, when Childress took over, Darren Sharper's productivity dropped off the map. Blame Leslie Frazier or Mike Tomlin, but it's Childress that pushed the Cover-2 so hard. How's Sharper performing now?

Why was Childress portrayed as a jester in this cartoon? Well, the answer to that is pretty easy... he's a joke.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1229/page2_e_jester_576.jpg

A lot of people look at the improving season records and say, "Wow, Childress much be a great coach..." yet anyone who see's how bad Childress manages a game and his poor in game decisions... hell, even his awful clock management was on display at the end of the first half against the Cowboys... knows how this is not a true NFL coach. Coordinator? Yes.

But people tend to ignore all these items and simply say he's a good coach because of our improving record.

Funny... I wonder if there's any correlation with acquiring Adrian Peterson or Brett Favre.

jmcdon00
01-20-2010, 04:34 PM
C Mac D wrote:

jmcdon00 wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

slavinator wrote:

"Everywhere Childress has gone, his teams have won, and if you believe itís all coincidence then itís a sure sign you still write letters to Santa."


We have all had our doubts about Chilli, but this line is just a classic.

The writer fails to notice that Childress loses... a lot. Pretty much his entire career.

He's never won a National Championship or a Super Bowl... hell, he's never even won a HS State Championship... which brings to mind the question, what has he won?


Nothing.

Yet.
A couple NFC North Championships.
Probably a few NFC East Championships.
The NFC Championship.
The Rose Bowl.

Childress's career winning percentage in his 30 years of coaching is 56%.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Childress

Equating to a total of zero Super Bowls and National Championships... just like I said.

But hey, if you're fine settling for 2nd place, more power to you.
The question was:What has he won? If the question was how many Super Bowls and National championships has he won, then that's a dumb question because you already answered it.

jmcdon00
01-20-2010, 04:39 PM
C Mac D wrote:

KrackerJack wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

Holmstrom wrote:

I was at the head of the angry mob ready to storm Chilly's house and run him out of town. It's funny what a playoff win can do for the way you view a guy. Win one on the road and I'm your's Chilly. :kiss:

Does no one remember the Carolina game? How about the beginning of the Bears game the following week? Funny, the second half of the Bears game Vikes put up 30+ points... and Childress said after the game that he thought the reporters would "let him have it" because his run-first philosophy was chucked out the door in the second half.

Since the second half of the Bears game, the Vikes have been the most potent team in the league.

Chilly's coaching got tossed out the door in favor of letting Favre run the offense.

Yes, but about 99% of people agreed wit him, in the media, in here, other football people around the league. Obvisouly not all credible, but there aren't many people out there that could say after words "You idiot, Childress"... because just about everybody agreed with him that we need to get the run going.

Hell, people still thought we need to get AD going to beat Dallas. Childress may have been wrong about the running game in the last few weeks, but he adapted just how he needed to and now we're fine.

Well, if it was only that... you'd be correct. However, you are not.

Chilly has never been a very good evaluator of talent... He was hesitant about using Rice throughout the first half of the season, until Favre forced the issue (watched Favre mic'ed up vs the Lions...). For some reason, when Childress took over, Darren Sharper's productivity dropped off the map. Blame Leslie Frazier or Mike Tomlin, but it's Childress that pushed the Cover-2 so hard. How's Sharper performing now?

Why was Childress portrayed as a jester in this cartoon? Well, the answer to that is pretty easy... he's a joke.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1229/page2_e_jester_576.jpg

A lot of people look at the improving season records and say, "Wow, Childress much be a great coach..." yet anyone who see's how bad Childress manages a game and his poor in game decisions... hell, even his awful clock management was on display at the end of the first half against the Cowboys... knows how this is not a true NFL coach. Coordinator? Yes.

But people tend to ignore all these items and simply say he's a good coach because of our improving record.

Funny... I wonder if there's any correlation with acquiring Adrian Peterson or Brett Favre.
I thought Childress handled the final clock well in the Cowboys game. He was conservative, but with a 2 TD lead you can afford to be. Giving Dallas another opportunity in the half would have been a mistake.

C Mac D
01-20-2010, 04:46 PM
jmcdon00 wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

KrackerJack wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

Holmstrom wrote:

I was at the head of the angry mob ready to storm Chilly's house and run him out of town. It's funny what a playoff win can do for the way you view a guy. Win one on the road and I'm your's Chilly. :kiss:

Does no one remember the Carolina game? How about the beginning of the Bears game the following week? Funny, the second half of the Bears game Vikes put up 30+ points... and Childress said after the game that he thought the reporters would "let him have it" because his run-first philosophy was chucked out the door in the second half.

Since the second half of the Bears game, the Vikes have been the most potent team in the league.

Chilly's coaching got tossed out the door in favor of letting Favre run the offense.

Yes, but about 99% of people agreed wit him, in the media, in here, other football people around the league. Obvisouly not all credible, but there aren't many people out there that could say after words "You idiot, Childress"... because just about everybody agreed with him that we need to get the run going.

Hell, people still thought we need to get AD going to beat Dallas. Childress may have been wrong about the running game in the last few weeks, but he adapted just how he needed to and now we're fine.

Well, if it was only that... you'd be correct. However, you are not.

Chilly has never been a very good evaluator of talent... He was hesitant about using Rice throughout the first half of the season, until Favre forced the issue (watched Favre mic'ed up vs the Lions...). For some reason, when Childress took over, Darren Sharper's productivity dropped off the map. Blame Leslie Frazier or Mike Tomlin, but it's Childress that pushed the Cover-2 so hard. How's Sharper performing now?

Why was Childress portrayed as a jester in this cartoon? Well, the answer to that is pretty easy... he's a joke.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1229/page2_e_jester_576.jpg

A lot of people look at the improving season records and say, "Wow, Childress much be a great coach..." yet anyone who see's how bad Childress manages a game and his poor in game decisions... hell, even his awful clock management was on display at the end of the first half against the Cowboys... knows how this is not a true NFL coach. Coordinator? Yes.

But people tend to ignore all these items and simply say he's a good coach because of our improving record.

Funny... I wonder if there's any correlation with acquiring Adrian Peterson or Brett Favre.
I thought Childress handled the final clock well in the Cowboys game. He was conservative, but with a 2 TD lead you can afford to be. Giving Dallas another opportunity in the half would have been a mistake.

Not the final clock, the end of the first half.

Either way, I gotta have something negative to say about the team. Seems to be their good luck.

Oh, and Rice sucks. Greenway sucks. Peterson sucks.

BloodyHorns82
01-20-2010, 04:46 PM
jmcdon00 wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

KrackerJack wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

Holmstrom wrote:

I was at the head of the angry mob ready to storm Chilly's house and run him out of town. It's funny what a playoff win can do for the way you view a guy. Win one on the road and I'm your's Chilly. :kiss:

Does no one remember the Carolina game? How about the beginning of the Bears game the following week? Funny, the second half of the Bears game Vikes put up 30+ points... and Childress said after the game that he thought the reporters would "let him have it" because his run-first philosophy was chucked out the door in the second half.

Since the second half of the Bears game, the Vikes have been the most potent team in the league.

Chilly's coaching got tossed out the door in favor of letting Favre run the offense.

Yes, but about 99% of people agreed wit him, in the media, in here, other football people around the league. Obvisouly not all credible, but there aren't many people out there that could say after words "You idiot, Childress"... because just about everybody agreed with him that we need to get the run going.

Hell, people still thought we need to get AD going to beat Dallas. Childress may have been wrong about the running game in the last few weeks, but he adapted just how he needed to and now we're fine.

Well, if it was only that... you'd be correct. However, you are not.

Chilly has never been a very good evaluator of talent... He was hesitant about using Rice throughout the first half of the season, until Favre forced the issue (watched Favre mic'ed up vs the Lions...). For some reason, when Childress took over, Darren Sharper's productivity dropped off the map. Blame Leslie Frazier or Mike Tomlin, but it's Childress that pushed the Cover-2 so hard. How's Sharper performing now?

Why was Childress portrayed as a jester in this cartoon? Well, the answer to that is pretty easy... he's a joke.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1229/page2_e_jester_576.jpg

A lot of people look at the improving season records and say, "Wow, Childress much be a great coach..." yet anyone who see's how bad Childress manages a game and his poor in game decisions... hell, even his awful clock management was on display at the end of the first half against the Cowboys... knows how this is not a true NFL coach. Coordinator? Yes.

But people tend to ignore all these items and simply say he's a good coach because of our improving record.

Funny... I wonder if there's any correlation with acquiring Adrian Peterson or Brett Favre.
I thought Childress handled the final clock well in the Cowboys game. He was conservative, but with a 2 TD lead you can afford to be. Giving Dallas another opportunity in the half would have been a mistake.

During the game I was bitchign about the play calling and management leading up to the finish of the 1st half. After re-watching the game I completely changed my mind. I think they were making good decisions given the circumstances.

KrackerJack
01-20-2010, 05:05 PM
C Mac D wrote:

KrackerJack wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

Holmstrom wrote:

I was at the head of the angry mob ready to storm Chilly's house and run him out of town. It's funny what a playoff win can do for the way you view a guy. Win one on the road and I'm your's Chilly. :kiss:

Does no one remember the Carolina game? How about the beginning of the Bears game the following week? Funny, the second half of the Bears game Vikes put up 30+ points... and Childress said after the game that he thought the reporters would "let him have it" because his run-first philosophy was chucked out the door in the second half.

Since the second half of the Bears game, the Vikes have been the most potent team in the league.

Chilly's coaching got tossed out the door in favor of letting Favre run the offense.

Yes, but about 99% of people agreed wit him, in the media, in here, other football people around the league. Obvisouly not all credible, but there aren't many people out there that could say after words "You idiot, Childress"... because just about everybody agreed with him that we need to get the run going.

Hell, people still thought we need to get AD going to beat Dallas. Childress may have been wrong about the running game in the last few weeks, but he adapted just how he needed to and now we're fine.

Well, if it was only that... you'd be correct. However, you are not.

Chilly has never been a very good evaluator of talent... He was hesitant about using Rice throughout the first half of the season, until Favre forced the issue (watched Favre mic'ed up vs the Lions...). For some reason, when Childress took over, Darren Sharper's productivity dropped off the map. Blame Leslie Frazier or Mike Tomlin, but it's Childress that pushed the Cover-2 so hard. How's Sharper performing now?

Why was Childress portrayed as a jester in this cartoon? Well, the answer to that is pretty easy... he's a joke.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1229/page2_e_jester_576.jpg

A lot of people look at the improving season records and say, "Wow, Childress much be a great coach..." yet anyone who see's how bad Childress manages a game and his poor in game decisions... hell, even his awful clock management was on display at the end of the first half against the Cowboys... knows how this is not a true NFL coach. Coordinator? Yes.

But people tend to ignore all these items and simply say he's a good coach because of our improving record.

Funny... I wonder if there's any correlation with acquiring Adrian Peterson or Brett Favre.

While Childress was 'hesistant' about putting Rice in early on in the season, what had Rice shown before that warranting more playing time. Yes, Favre may have discovered Rice's gift, but that was because he threw it up to him and trusted him... So before Favre, how exactly was Childress supposed to know how good Rice would be? Usually I defend Tarvaris to a point, but he's not exactly the quarterback to know when to throw one up to Rice, or have the accuracy to keep it a safe throw for that matter... And Frerotte wouldn't either, because he sucks. In other words, Favre was the first guy to have the ability and trust in Rice to give him those opporitunities.

As for Sharper, while he may not have thrived in the cover 2, was Childress supposed to change his whole defensive gameplan to base around this one player? I don't think so...

Oh by the way, and improving record matters, when Wilf brought Childress in I believe it was to improve our team and give us a shot at the Super Bowl. Oh wait... he's done just that

You can call him lucky for having Favre and Peterson all you'd like, but then I guess Dungy was a bad coach because he happened to have Peyton and Marvin Harrison. I also suppose Bill Walsh was a joke because he was lucky to have Joe Montana and Jerry Rice. The list goes on...

He (and Spielman, of course) can obvisouly draft talent, and people question his ability to develop it... which would explain why have stellar rookie play year after year, right? I disagree with that, with the number of rookies we have playing on a high level it's a bit of a stretch to believe he's just getting all of those good players thrown into his lap. How about Jimmy Kennedy? A bust for the league when he was drafted, sure enough, now he's here playing at a high level... and while that may be Leslie's job to develop defensive players, he's just one of the players who have come to Minnesota and excelled their play

Childress and his coaching staff are fine, infact, they're doing great. He was pretty iffy for the first few years, but now we're in the NFC Championship...

jmcdon00
01-20-2010, 05:16 PM
C Mac D wrote:

jmcdon00 wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

KrackerJack wrote:

C Mac D wrote:

Holmstrom wrote:

I was at the head of the angry mob ready to storm Chilly's house and run him out of town. It's funny what a playoff win can do for the way you view a guy. Win one on the road and I'm your's Chilly. :kiss:

Does no one remember the Carolina game? How about the beginning of the Bears game the following week? Funny, the second half of the Bears game Vikes put up 30+ points... and Childress said after the game that he thought the reporters would "let him have it" because his run-first philosophy was chucked out the door in the second half.

Since the second half of the Bears game, the Vikes have been the most potent team in the league.

Chilly's coaching got tossed out the door in favor of letting Favre run the offense.

Yes, but about 99% of people agreed wit him, in the media, in here, other football people around the league. Obvisouly not all credible, but there aren't many people out there that could say after words "You idiot, Childress"... because just about everybody agreed with him that we need to get the run going.

Hell, people still thought we need to get AD going to beat Dallas. Childress may have been wrong about the running game in the last few weeks, but he adapted just how he needed to and now we're fine.

Well, if it was only that... you'd be correct. However, you are not.

Chilly has never been a very good evaluator of talent... He was hesitant about using Rice throughout the first half of the season, until Favre forced the issue (watched Favre mic'ed up vs the Lions...). For some reason, when Childress took over, Darren Sharper's productivity dropped off the map. Blame Leslie Frazier or Mike Tomlin, but it's Childress that pushed the Cover-2 so hard. How's Sharper performing now?

Why was Childress portrayed as a jester in this cartoon? Well, the answer to that is pretty easy... he's a joke.

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/1229/page2_e_jester_576.jpg

A lot of people look at the improving season records and say, "Wow, Childress much be a great coach..." yet anyone who see's how bad Childress manages a game and his poor in game decisions... hell, even his awful clock management was on display at the end of the first half against the Cowboys... knows how this is not a true NFL coach. Coordinator? Yes.

But people tend to ignore all these items and simply say he's a good coach because of our improving record.

Funny... I wonder if there's any correlation with acquiring Adrian Peterson or Brett Favre.
I thought Childress handled the final clock well in the Cowboys game. He was conservative, but with a 2 TD lead you can afford to be. Giving Dallas another opportunity in the half would have been a mistake.

Not the final clock, the end of the first half.

Either way, I gotta have something negative to say about the team. Seems to be their good luck.

Oh, and Rice sucks. Greenway sucks. Peterson sucks.
Very true, keep being negative, it's gotten us this far.

kevoncox
01-20-2010, 06:36 PM
People think that a coach is born good Head Coach. In truth as with anything in football, experience is the key. When Brad came to us he was rough around the edges and was not a good head coach. He had potential but made so many mistakes because he was not use to juggling as many task on the PRO level as he was required to do here. Time passed and he has learned his job and become a great coach. I think our gameplans are always well done and he usually puts his players in position to excel. However, hiccups are still possible, as they are with any coach. Chilly has become a top 5 Head Coach in the league. His only issues is motivation. He seems to have this team too flat too often.

carnage
01-20-2010, 06:44 PM
if he wins a superbowl i will say he is a good coach

Marrdro
01-21-2010, 06:45 AM
BleedinPandG wrote:
See... this is just silliness... Favre has been in the league, what, 18 years? He has played in the WCO essentially his entire career. NEVER, prior to this year, prior to this team, prior to this scheme developed by this coach, has he ever performed at the level he did this year. You can give Favre all the credit you want, but he is simply a tool. That tool has been used in the past and gotten good results, but never the types of results it achieved this year in the hands of a more masterful carpenter. I do not believe the tool improved after 18 years of use, it seems more intuitive that the new man wielding the tool is superior to those who previously tried.
Carefull my friend, Ultra will lump you in with the "Concensus" that is Marrdro with talk like that.

Marrdro
01-21-2010, 06:47 AM
Zeus wrote:

BleedinPandG wrote:

You can give Favre all the credit you want, but he is simply a tool.

That's gonna be Marrdro's new signature, you know.

=Z=
I'd rather shit tacks and razor blades before I would use that misspronounced name in my sig, but it is a funny idea.

Marrdro
01-21-2010, 06:51 AM
C Mac D wrote:

Holmstrom wrote:

I was at the head of the angry mob ready to storm Chilly's house and run him out of town. It's funny what a playoff win can do for the way you view a guy. Win one on the road and I'm your's Chilly. :kiss:

Does no one remember the Carolina game? How about the beginning of the Bears game the following week? Funny, the second half of the Bears game Vikes put up 30+ points... and Childress said after the game that he thought the reporters would "let him have it" because his run-first philosophy was chucked out the door in the second half.

Since the second half of the Bears game, the Vikes have been the most potent team in the league.

Chilly's coaching got tossed out the door in favor of letting Favre run the offense.
Comeon my friend. You know I usually side with you on most of your points, however on this one, I gotta deviate just a tad.

There is no way that any QB (even Manning) is running any offense.

To think otherwise would mean that you give into the notion that the noodle is sitting down with the WR's coaches, the OL coaches, the RB coaches and reviewing tape for tendancies, putting in plays to exploit those tendencies and then briefing the HC on his game plan.

Just flat out crazyness to think that there is any NFL quarterback in the league right now that is committed to doing that, especially the Noodle. Hell, you can't even get him to come to camp, how is he gonna do all that?

Prophet
01-21-2010, 07:57 AM
There are times on an NFL message board that it is best to just sit back and watch people self destruct in their own illogical thoughts.

C Mac D
01-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Prophet wrote:

There are times on an NFL message board that it is best to just sit back and watch people self destruct in their own illogical thoughts.

I'm doing it for the team.

Zeus
01-21-2010, 09:06 AM
C Mac D wrote:

Prophet wrote:

There are times on an NFL message board that it is best to just sit back and watch people self destruct in their own illogical thoughts.

I'm doing it for the team.

I thought you did it all for the nookie....

=Z=

Prophet
01-21-2010, 09:06 AM
C Mac D wrote:

Prophet wrote:

There are times on an NFL message board that it is best to just sit back and watch people self destruct in their own illogical thoughts.

I'm doing it for the team.

That is obvious, anyone that is ~2 weeks away from becoming Brad Childress has to make some waves.