PDA

View Full Version : Is Adrian Peterson the best in the League?

alexfandrich
11-24-2009, 09:31 AM
I'm starting to have doubts about it. As much as I love the kid, it amazes me at how much more production Steven Jackson and Chris Johnson have than him, and they are both on incredibly worse teams. AP is just not consistent, he'll get 2 yds, 3 yds, -1 yd, 3 yds, then an incredible 28 yd TD. I don't get it. Does anyone else see it too?

HEY
11-24-2009, 09:50 AM
I'll take this one guys!

The answer is... YES! Adrian Peterson is the best running back in the NFL.

Steven Jackson and Chris Johnson are the two perfect examples of why A.D. is the best back.

Steven Jackson
Positives: Bigger and stronger than Adrian.
Negatives: Less elusive and slower than Adrian.

Chris Johnson
Positives: Faster than Adrian.
Negatives: Less stronger and easier to bring down than Adrian.

See what I'm trying to say? Adrian Peterson is a combination of the two players you mentioned.
That's what gives Adrian the edge in my book. Adrian has a unique combination of speed and power that I have not seen in a RB in over a decade.

kevoncox
11-24-2009, 09:52 AM
I love what the other guys do but they aren't game planned for like AD is. Not saying they don't see guys in the box but with AD it's all eyes on him. I also think our passing game is not allowing him to wear a team down and have him hit those 60 yarders he normally has. I still take 9-1 over proving he is the best.

NordicNed
11-24-2009, 10:00 AM
Ask any coach or player in the NFL, who is the better of the three mentioned above.
I bet 99 out of 100 would say, without hesitation, AP.....
;)

Braddock
11-24-2009, 10:15 AM
Being less stronger is a bad thing. I'd say any Chris Johnson argument would be a weaker one.

HEY
11-24-2009, 10:18 AM
"Braddock" wrote:

Being less stronger is a bad thing. I'd say any Chris Johnson argument would be a weaker one.

As incredibly fast and explosive Adrian is on the run, Chris Johnson is faster in my opinion.

Purple_Jesus
11-24-2009, 10:20 AM
The reason Peterson doesn't look as dangerous as the others, is AP sees 6-9 man fronts constantly in every game we play.
And he's still putting up the numbers that he is.
It all comes down to who's team is benefiting the most from their player.
Rams are 1-9, Titans are 4-6, and Vikings are... well.
Possibly the best team in the league.

alexfandrich
11-24-2009, 10:32 AM
"Purple_Jesus" wrote:

The reason Peterson doesn't look as dangerous as the others, is AP sees 6-9 man fronts constantly in every game we play.

You don't think Jackson faces 6-9 man fronts. He does, more than Peterson. Who else should rams opponents fear? Avery and bulger? Jackson is the only real threat on that team and he faces much more defenders more consistently than Peterson

gagarr
11-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Chris Johnson has yet to carry the load by himself, LenDale gets alot more carries than CT sees, including receptions.
Plus LenDale take the hard 3rd and short stuff, which helps CJ's avg.

Steven Jackson on a better team could be impressive.
But given his team I gotta give kudos that he's been a hard worker and consistant.

AD is still the man as I think a good reason why Favre is doing what he's doing is teams are still playing the run.
Maybe not with a safety, but still forcing AD to run outside and they stretch the play.
Plus, AD has 2 new starters on the OL, trying to learn zone blocking (ugh!), which is always a steep learning curve.

So regardless of yds and avg, AD is a proven commodity that delivers regardless of the situation.

Purple_Jesus
11-24-2009, 10:47 AM
"alexfandrich" wrote:

"Purple_Jesus" wrote:

You don't think Jackson faces 6-9 man fronts. He does, more than Peterson. Who else should rams opponents fear? Avery and bulger? Jackson is the only real threat on that team and he faces much more defenders more consistently than Peterson

You bring up a good point.
I still think Peterson is better than they are though.
Power without speed can be exposed, and speed without power can be exposed.
Having a combination of both is a pretty deadly combination.

singersp
11-24-2009, 10:58 AM
"HEY" wrote:

I'll take this one guys!

The answer is... YES! Adrian Peterson is the best running back in the NFL.

Steven Jackson and Chris Johnson are the two perfect examples of why A.D. is the best back.

Steven Jackson
Positives: Bigger and stronger than Adrian.
Negatives: Less elusive and slower than Adrian.

Chris Johnson
Positives: Faster than Adrian.
Negatives: Less stronger and easier to bring down than Adrian.

See what I'm trying to say? Adrian Peterson is a combination of the two players you mentioned.
That's what gives Adrian the edge in my book. Adrian has a unique combination of speed and power that I have not seen in a RB in over a decade.

Funny thing though, AD has less yards per carry than the other two & more fumbles than the other two combined. He definitely has more power & more TD's once he gets going, but I believe he has more runs of 1 yard or less than either of the other two.

His ability to catch the ball has greatly improved, but his fumbles are still proving to be costly.

Freya
11-24-2009, 11:01 AM
"alexfandrich" wrote:

I'm starting to have doubts about it. As much as I love the kid, it amazes me at how much more production Steven Jackson and Chris Johnson have than him, and they are both on incredibly worse teams. AP is just not consistent, he'll get 2 yds, 3 yds, -1 yd, 3 yds, then an incredible 28 yd TD. I don't get it. Does anyone else see it too?

I think AD's first year in the league shocked everyone. Not one of our opponents or the rest of the league for that matter expected him to roll up the yardage like he did. Look how far he dropped in the draft, after all. The look on the faces of our opponents that year were priceless. Since then, EVERYONE we have played has made it their main defensive objective to stop our running game. Talk about crowding the box, eh?
Enter Favre. Now their defense gets to pay. Let them plan for AD all they want and then make them pay for it with Rice, Shank, Harvin, Barrian and the rest of our receiving unit. I have already seen the cluster f*ck on the other side of scrimmage lighten up considerably this year. The inconsistency in yardage comes from the adjustments the other teams are having to make en game, imo.
All is well and good in the Viking Nation.
;D

snowinapril
11-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Take the sportsnation poll today.... there are some good MN questions in there today.

See how MN rates vs other states.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/polls

Purple_Jesus
11-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Also you have to think about when we have to run.
Many times this year we've been ahead by 2 or 3 touchdowns, so we've gone to the ground game.
When opponents know we're going to the ground game, they're stacking the box.
With the Titans/Rams, they're having to play catch up a lot more often than we are, so when defenders back off, CJ/SJ have bigger holes and more room to work with.

I still would want AP over the other two.

HEY
11-24-2009, 11:50 AM
"Purple_Jesus" wrote:

Many times this year we've been ahead by 2 or 3 touchdowns, so we've gone to the ground game.
With the Titans/Rams, they're having to play catch up a lot more often than we are, so when defenders back off, CJ/SJ have bigger holes and more room to work with.

Exactly, good post! I've been saying the same thing.
The Vikings offense are putting up touchdowns and the defense is keeping the opposing teams out of the end-zone. That is causing the opposing defense to expect the run, which is completely normal cause that's what we'll be doing.
The Rams and the Titans on the other hand, are often behind by several scores and the opposing defenses schemes to stop the pass and backs off to prevent the big pass plays.

With that being said, Chris Johnson's numbers are truly off the hook this year.

Overlord
11-24-2009, 11:50 AM
There are two points that I think people might be missing.

First, don't underestimate Chris Johnson's speed.
He is faster than AD.
That allows him to make some runs that AD wouldn't make.
Part of a running back's ability is pure speed, whether it looks amazing or not.
Speed rules in the NFL.

Second, the point about AD seeing certain fronts is a little off.
The real problem AD faces right now, in my opinion, is that his offensive line is not blocking well for him at the moment.
When you watch AD run, he isn't running to the wrong place when he gets caught for 1 or 2 yards, there's just no hole.
Two guys are on him when he hits the line.

Okay, part of that is that he has seen significantly more stacked boxes and defensive attention over the past year+ than any other RB, making it harder to block everyone up.
But the other part is that the Vikes O-line is rarely getting push (which opens up holes and slows pursuit from the linebackers) and too many guys are coming off blocks.

If you had a chance to watch last night, you saw that Chris Johnson had some nice holes.
He ran away from a bunch of people, but only broke a few tackles.
Usually when someone gets to him he's going down.
Without those gaping holes, I'm not sure he would be particularly successful.
He does have good vision though, he finds the hole and runs off his blockers well.

Chris Johnson is really good.
You can't fake 6.2 yards/carry.
His numbers are actually really similar to AD's rookie season though.
Through 10 games in 2007, AD had 184 carries for 1197 yards (6.5 y/c), and through 10 games in 2009 Chris Johnson has 199 carries for 1242 yards (6.2 y/c).
I think that reflects two very good running backs that are getting proper help from their O-line.

I would personally take AD if I had to pick one.

singersp
11-24-2009, 11:57 AM
"Purple_Jesus" wrote:

Name them.

Purple_Jesus
11-24-2009, 12:03 PM
"singersp" wrote:

"Purple_Jesus" wrote:

Name them.

Seahawks, Lions, Ravens, Lions again, Browns, Rams

Suick
11-24-2009, 12:05 PM
"Overlord" wrote:

He is faster than AD.
Part of a running back's ability is pure speed, whether it looks amazing or not.
Speed rules in the NFL.

The real problem AD faces right now, in my opinion, is that his offensive line is not blocking well for him at the moment.
When you watch AD run, he isn't running to the wrong place when he gets caught for 1 or 2 yards, there's just no hole.

Okay, part of that is that he has seen significantly more stacked boxes and defensive attention over the past year+ than any other RB, making it harder to block everyone up.
But the other part is that the Vikes O-line is rarely getting push (which opens up holes and slows pursuit from the linebackers) and too many guys are coming off blocks.

If you had a chance to watch last night, you saw that Chris Johnson had some nice holes.
He does have good vision though, he finds the hole and runs off his blockers well.

Through 10 games in 2007, AD had 184 carries for 1197 yards (6.5 y/c), and through 10 games in 2009 Chris Johnson has 199 carries for 1242 yards (6.2 y/c).
I think that reflects two very good running backs that are getting proper help from their O-line.

+1

AD breaks tackles that CJ can't due to size & strength, but you have to catch CJ to tackle him. My only standing grip with him is not accepting the 4-5 yard runs, but rather trying to break every run into 40 yds, thus only getting 1-2 by not really following the blocking scheme (such that it is.)

Is AD getting the carries he had last year?

HEY
11-24-2009, 12:08 PM
"Suick" wrote:

"Overlord" wrote:

He is faster than AD.
Speed rules in the NFL.

+1

AD breaks tackles that CJ can't due to size & strength, but you have to catch CJ to tackle him. My only standing grip with him is not accepting the 4-5 yard runs, but rather trying to break every run into 40 yds, thus only getting 1-2 by not really following the blocking scheme (such that it is.)

Last time I checked, Adrian had two carries less per game than he had last season, but he has more receptions than last season.

BloodyHorns82
11-24-2009, 12:10 PM
"Purple_Jesus" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Purple_Jesus" wrote:

Name them.

Hmmm.
Weren't we up by 2 TDs in the Packer games as well?

tastywaves
11-24-2009, 12:19 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

Take the sportsnation poll today.... there are some good MN questions in there today.

It came out as it should, AD getting 65%.
I think Chris Johnson is having an amazing year and he has the stats to prove it.
I'm not so sure he would be doing as well in MN.
Largely to what Overlord is pointing out, he is getting a lot more space to run into than AD.

It's not like Chris is pulling a Barry Sanders and making a lot out of nothing.
He gets some space, shows good agility, then burns buy them like they were sitting still.

I predict that Chris' future will decline faster than AD's simply because Chris depends much more on his speed than AD does.
If Chris loses a step, he becomes very average.
Until then, he will continue to be one of the most electrifying guys in the league and I would take him any day...just not over AD.

tastywaves
11-24-2009, 12:21 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

It came out as it should, AD getting 65%.
I think Chris Johnson is having an amazing year and he has the stats to prove it.
I'm not so sure he would be doing as well in MN.
Largely to what Overlord is pointing out, he is getting a lot more space to run into than AD.

It's not like Chris is pulling a Barry Sanders and making a lot out of nothing.
He gets some space, shows good agility, then burns buy them like they were sitting still.

I predict that Chris' future will decline faster than AD's simply because Chris depends much more on his speed than AD does.
If Chris loses a step, he becomes very average.
Until then, he will continue to be one of the most electrifying guys in the league and I would take him any day...just not over AD.

Overlord
11-24-2009, 12:24 PM
"Suick" wrote:

AD is getting about 10% fewer carries to this point.
I think that's a good thing, considering that he has a long career ahead and the balance the Vikings have on offense.
HEY mentioned the receptions, which mean that his total number of touches is down only about 1/game.

I don't agree that AD is not accepting the 4-5 yard runs.
They don't look like they are there.
The pursuit by the opposing team's linebackers is aggressive and unobstructed.
There is often an unblocked defender taking away the cutback as well.
How many times have the Vikes been stuffed on 3rd- or 4th-and-1 this year?
Too many, and it's not because AD can't find a hole or run with power, or because he is trying to break a big one.
The O-line isn't generating enough push, in my opinion.

Mr Anderson
11-24-2009, 12:44 PM
I watched a majority of the game last night, I can't say I watched the whole thing considering it was Tennessee v. Houston and I just don't care.

But I rarely saw more than a 7 man front to stop Johnson. Which makes no sense to me, their QB can run and is a sub-par passer, and he's an excellent running back. Why not put 8-9 in the box?

There should be no doubt in anyone's mind that Peterson makes plays that Johnson can not, on a regular basis. How many untouched long runs has Peterson had? Very few. Johnson? Nearly all of them. Go to NFL.com and find his TDs, an overwhelming majority are totally untouched. Now take a look at Peterson's, he breaks tackles and makes defenders miss all the time. He runs through straight on tackles where guys wrap him up. Johnson had a nice broken tackle on Brian Cushing last night, but Cushing didn't wrap, and was coming from his side.

The combination of size, power, vision, speed, lateral agility, heart, and aggressiveness that Adrian Peterson possesses is unrivaled. There is no parallel to that composition of abilities in any sport, anywhere. Ever.

It's not worth comparing him to Steven Jackson. Jackson's a good back, versatile, big, fast for his size. But Peterson is on another level talent wise.

He makes big plays despite the poor running situations he's been put into, despite the obvious telegraphing of our running plays when he's in the game, and lack of execution by the offensive line at points. He makes things happen on his own, and I don't see that kind of ability from the other two.

What did the Titans do to put Johnson into space last night(when the defense wasn't giving it to them already) one of the stacked fronts I saw they ran an option play against. Now I understand they have a QB who can pull that off and we don't want a 40 year old Favre doing something like that. But how many boot passes have we seen out of Favre this year? A ton, and they work. Why not maybe set up a run off of that?

Adrian Peterson was the best runner in football. With LaDainian Tomlinson fading away, he's now the best running back in football.

Mr Anderson
11-24-2009, 12:46 PM
"Overlord" wrote:

"Suick" wrote:

I think that's a good thing, considering that he has a long career ahead and the balance the Vikings have on offense.
HEY mentioned the receptions, which mean that his total number of touches is down only about 1/game.

Too many, and it's not because AD can't find a hole or run with power, or because he is trying to break a big one.

When an 8 man front knows the run is coming it's hard to pick up any yardage, even with a big talented offensive line and the best back in football.

ultravikingfan
11-24-2009, 12:48 PM
"alexfandrich" wrote:

When you ask a question, make it a new poll.

V4L
11-24-2009, 12:57 PM
Johnson looks like it so far

Kid does everything

Pretty much 1A 1B

Suick
11-24-2009, 01:12 PM
MNF guys seemed to think it's CJ (aka RB du jour)

C Mac D
11-24-2009, 01:17 PM
"Suick" wrote:

Yeah, I tend to agree with them at the moment... tough to argue with 6+ yards per carry.

Don't mind though, we still have arguably the best RB on our team... along with arguably the best WR and arguably the best QB... and arguably the best DE in the league.

I'm fine if Peterson isn't "The Best..."

V4L
11-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Agreed C Mac D

Kid also rips off 100 yards recieving sometimes

I loved his pass blocking too.. He's surprisingly great at it

singersp
11-24-2009, 01:24 PM
"Purple_Jesus" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"Purple_Jesus" wrote:

Name them.

Seahawks we blew out. In that game we took a 14 point lead in the 2nd quarter. After that the drives went as follows;

1st: Passed twice, ran 4
2nd: Passed twice, ran 3
3rd: Passed 7 times, ran 5
4th: Passed 8 times, ran 3
5th: Passed once, ran 2 & had a QB run the ball with no one open
6th: Passed once, ran 2
7th: Passed 0 times, ran 3

I can give you that one, That's once

In the first Lions game we were behind in the 1st & second quarter. at the end of 3 quarters we were only up by 7. We did not go ahead of them by 2 TD's or more until there was only 7 minutes left to play. After that we did not resort to the run game. Wepassed twice & ran twice, so toss that one out.

In the Ravens game, we were ahead by 2 TD's only at the end of the 1st quarter. We did not resort to the run game at that point. At the end of the 3rd we were up by 10. The offense never took the field again with more than that 10 point lead. In fact we lost the lead in the 4th & got it back with a FG with 2 minutes left to play. So toss that game out.

In the second Lions game, the offense took the field only once with a 14 point lead & that wasn't until the 4th quarter with 11 minutes to go. with that lead we we passed 8 times & ran only 5. We did not resort to the run game, so throw that one out as well.

In the Browns game, we didn't take a 14 point lead until after Longwell's FG in the 4th. After that we ran 3 times & passed once. So that's twice we resorted to the run game after taking a 2 TD lead.

In the Rams game we took a 14 point lead in the first quarter. After that the following drives went as follows;

1st: Passed once, ran once
2nd: Passed twice, ran twice
3rd: Passed 4 times, ran 0
4th: Passed 3 times, ran once
5th: Passed 3 times, ran 4
6th: Passed 3 times, ran 4
7th: Passed 2 times, ran once
8th: Passed 5 times, ran 5
9th: Passed 3 times, ran 4
10th: Passed 3 times, ran 6

I'll give you that one even though we passed 26 times & rushed 24.

So that's only 3 times out of 10, not MANY that we can say we resorted to the run game & most of those was late in the game, primarily with Taylor. Question is, did they stack the box for Taylor?

alexfandrich
11-25-2009, 01:29 AM
i will admit that i'd take AP over any other back in the league any day, but right now, cj and sj are both producing more.

BadlandsVikings
11-25-2009, 01:30 AM
NO

alexfandrich
11-25-2009, 01:32 AM
"BadlandsViking" wrote:

NO

no what

i_bleed_purple
11-25-2009, 05:03 AM
"alexfandrich" wrote:

"BadlandsViking" wrote:

NO

no what

He blindly hates AD because he's wickedly whipped and his fiancee is a rediculous Memo fan, and hates AD.
He couldn't go against her, ever.
She'd rip his balls off.

We actually had an argument against those two, both claiming Memo was a better back than AD.

soonerbornNbred
11-25-2009, 06:04 AM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"alexfandrich" wrote:

"BadlandsViking" wrote:

NO

no what

He blindly hates AD because he's wickedly whipped and his fiancee is a rediculous Memo fan, and hates AD.
He couldn't go against her, ever.
She'd rip his balls off.

We actually had an argument against those two, both claiming Memo was a better back than AD.

Are you sure that hasn't already happened

as you says he has a blind hate

whats weird is ....has memo done anything since to justify this strangelove

Marrdro
11-25-2009, 08:36 AM
"Freya" wrote:

I think AD's first year in the league shocked everyone. Not one of our opponents or the rest of the league for that matter expected him to roll up the yardage like he did. Look how far he dropped in the draft, after all. The look on the faces of our opponents that year were priceless. Since then, EVERYONE we have played has made it their main defensive objective to stop our running game. Talk about crowding the box, eh?
Enter Favre. Now their defense gets to pay. Let them plan for AD all they want and then make them pay for it with Rice, Shank, Harvin, Barrian and the rest of our receiving unit. I have already seen the cluster f*ck on the other side of scrimmage lighten up considerably this year. The inconsistency in yardage comes from the adjustments the other teams are having to make en game, imo. All is well and good in the Viking Nation.
;D

That is an excellent point young lady.

I know this will sound sexist, however, I gotta say it.
You are by far one of the best "lady" football minds (Posters) out there.

Back to my "Chess Match" comment.
Do you think this offense is scary good enough to think that the Chiller could be doing some of this just to mess with peoples (Teams we'll meet later) minds?
::)

Marrdro
11-25-2009, 08:47 AM
"Overlord" wrote:

He is faster than AD.
Speed rules in the NFL.

Trying to compare AD's running style (one cut back) and our OL blocking scheme to what that young cat in TN is doing is kindof silly IMHO.
As you so accurately pointed out, we are missing the bigger picture here.

I think the issue (if there really is one) should be looked at from the OL vantage point and not the RB's.
The question for me is........Are the OL not blocking well or are they not Zone Blocking?

It is clear to the casual observer that we have "Tweaked" our blocking scheme. Hell our OL coach and O-coord have admitted to making a "Tweak".
That "Tweak" IMHO is the reason that he cutback lanes haven't been there for AD.

Lets go back to last year and the year before.
I contended that our issues with Pass Protection was that the OL was struggling with the shifts between Zone Blocking and Hat on Hat blocking schemes especially when they came out of the huddle with run in mind and shifted at the line to pass.

As I said in another post.....The trade off (less production in the running game) is acceptable because of the benifit (better pass protection).

As a smart young lady once said.....

All is well and good in the Viking Nation

Marrdro
11-25-2009, 08:50 AM
"Overlord" wrote:

"Suick" wrote:

That is a good point.
NFLN had a thing they put up the other night when they were talking about Larry Johnson and his production drop off.

The stat they put up was RB production after a year of 400 carries.

Comes back to what they did with CT and AD in his first and second year.
Keep the carries down, prolong the career.

Again, a damn good point.
;)

midgensa
11-25-2009, 08:58 AM
"C" wrote:

"Suick" wrote:

Yeah, I tend to agree with them at the moment... tough to argue with 6+ yards per carry.

Don't mind though, we still have arguably the best RB on our team... along with arguably the best WR and arguably the best QB... and arguably the best DE in the league.

Me too ... I think right now it is very difficult to argue against CJ.

I would say this though ... if GMs were asked to have ANY RB in the league to build their team around, I believe that 75% + would say Adrian Peterson.

Just because he is not the best statistically in a given year does not mean he is not the best. I do love what CJ is doing right now though.

One major difference, the Titans don't have many other "playmakers" so CJ is what their whole offense is built around. We finally have a ton of playmakers and we don't have to center on AD. Probably affects the numbers a little bit.

clark_griswold
11-25-2009, 08:59 AM
Everytime i watch game film i see that Peterson's problem this year is the same as it was last year with Gus in at qb. Favre takes almost a .5 second longer to get him the ball, and in turn he hits the hole that much later. He has had some decent runs on misdirection plays because the zone blocks are set up to progress at a slower rate.

Freya
11-25-2009, 09:04 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Freya" wrote:

Enter Favre. Now their defense gets to pay. Let them plan for AD all they want and then make them pay for it with Rice, Shank, Harvin, Barrian and the rest of our receiving unit. I have already seen the cluster f*ck on the other side of scrimmage lighten up considerably this year. The inconsistency in yardage comes from the adjustments the other teams are having to make en game, imo. All is well and good in the Viking Nation.
;D

Do you think this offense is scary good enough to think that the Chiller could be doing some of this just to mess with peoples (Teams we'll meet later) minds?

Wow. That is the ultimate compliment. (for a girl ;D) Thanks, Darlin!!

As to your question......yes. I absolutely believe that Childress has it in him to play around with other team's minds. (doesn't he hold a degree in psychology or similar?)The difference now is that he has ALL the weapons to carry it out. Remember that KAO?
;D

Marrdro
11-25-2009, 09:31 AM
"Freya" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Freya" wrote:

;D

As to your question......yes. I absolutely believe that Childress has it in him to play around with other team's minds. (doesn't he hold a degree in psychology or similar?)The difference now is that he has ALL the weapons to carry it out. Remember that KAO?
;D

Glad you didn't take offense.
I have the tact the good Lord gave a door knob.
;)

When it comes to mind games, I am looking specifically how the Ain'ts line up and play defense.
Gonna be fun to watch that secondary deal with AD, our WR's/TE's and even our current starter at QB.
;)

gagarr
11-25-2009, 10:07 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Freya" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Freya" wrote:

;D

;D

;)

When it comes to mind games, I am looking specifically how the Ain'ts line up and play defense.
Gonna be fun to watch that secondary deal with AD, our WR's/TE's and even our current starter at QB.

;)

IMO, the inconsistant rush is cause by having two young new players on the OL.
OL is still jelling.
Also I would guess that neither had any exposure to zone blocking prior to coming to the Vikes.

Marrdro
11-25-2009, 10:10 AM
"clark_griswold" wrote:

Everytime i watch game film i see that Peterson's problem this year is the same as it was last year with Gus in at qb. Favre takes almost a .5 second longer to get him the ball, and in turn he hits the hole that much later. He has had some decent runs on misdirection plays because the zone blocks are set up to progress at a slower rate.

That is a hell of an observation and one that I haven't thought about.

On a side note, good to see the young lady saluting sig again.
Were you been my friend?

Garland Greene
11-25-2009, 10:26 AM
"alexfandrich" wrote:

Quickly answer this question, name one other star offensive player on their team?

No one? Kind of easy to put up big numbers when you are the offense don't you think?

Marrdro
11-25-2009, 10:28 AM
"Garland" wrote:

"alexfandrich" wrote:

Quickly answer this question, name one other star offensive player on their team?

No one? Kind of easy to put up big numbers when you are the offense don't you think?

I can see what your saying GG, but you could also use the discussion point that if they only have one offensive threat, he can be just as easily shut down.

Wasn't that the whole discussion item about AD and stacked boxes?

V4L
11-25-2009, 02:00 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Garland" wrote:

"alexfandrich" wrote:

I can see what your saying GG, but you could also use the discussion point that if they only have one offensive threat, he can be just as easily shut down.

Wasn't that the whole discussion item about AD and stacked boxes?

You are wise beyond your years my friend :)

But I agree here with ya Marr.. If there is one good player you double or triple that player

Formo
11-25-2009, 02:03 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Freya" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Freya" wrote:

;D

;D

;)

;)

OOoooooOOOooooOOOOOh..
That's what your problem is at times..
=)

Marrdro
11-25-2009, 02:12 PM
"Formo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Freya" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Freya" wrote:

;D

;D

;)

;)

OOoooooOOOooooOOOOOh..
=)

Quit cracking me up.

I readily admit I'm a yutz and don't take myself very seriously around these here parts.
Mostly cause I don't have any tact and am not very funny, even though I try real hard sometimes.
;D

Formo
11-25-2009, 02:17 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Formo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Freya" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

;D

;)

;)

OOoooooOOOooooOOOOOh..
=)

Quit cracking me up.

I readily admit I'm a yutz and don't take myself very seriously around these here parts.
Mostly cause I don't have any tact and am not very funny, even though I try real hard sometimes.
;D

Naw man, you're good stuff.
I'm just mad that I missed you at the Iggles tailgate last year (I made two appearances, and you weren't there)..

Marrdro
11-25-2009, 02:20 PM
"Formo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Formo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Freya" wrote:

;D

;D

;)

;)

OOoooooOOOooooOOOOOh..
=)

Quit cracking me up.

;D

I'm just mad that I missed you at the Iggles tailgate last year (I made two appearances, and you weren't there)..

Think Bengals.....Dec 13th.
Nasville cats are fun to party with.
Mix them with the PPO locals, a few Bengals fans........

Beast slushies......

Gonna be a epic tailgate.

Formo
11-25-2009, 02:23 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Formo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Formo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D

;D

;)

;)

OOoooooOOOooooOOOOOh..
=)

Quit cracking me up.

;D

Think Bengals.....Dec 13th.
Nasville cats are fun to party with.
Mix them with the PPO locals, a few Bengals fans........

Beast slushies......

Gonna be a epic tailgate.

I should show up with my Bengals jersey on..
LOL

clark_griswold
11-25-2009, 03:20 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"clark_griswold" wrote:

Were you been my friend?

I've been around, always check the boards just haven't had much time to give my 2 cents. I'll be around quite a bit from now on.

Formo
11-25-2009, 03:26 PM
"clark_griswold" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"clark_griswold" wrote:

Were you been my friend?

I've been around, always check the boards just haven't had much time to give my 2 cents. I'll be around quite a bit from now on.

That chicka always distracts me..
=/

ejmat
11-25-2009, 03:42 PM
"kevoncox" wrote:

I love what the other guys do but they aren't game planned for like AD is. Not saying they don't see guys in the box but with AD it's all eyes on him. I also think our passing game is not allowing him to wear a team down and have him hit those 60 yarders he normally has. I still take 9-1 over proving he is the best.

Are you kidding?
You mean to tell me when teams play the Titans and the Rams they don't game plan for Johnson and Jackson as much as AP?
That may have been true last year but not this year.
Teams are now game planning for Favre, Harvin and Rice.
The Rams and Titans only have Jackson and Johnson respectively.

I will agree that I would take 9-1 over 1-9 and 4-6 anyday.
But let's not put our goggles on here to try and prove a point that isn't true.

ejmat
11-25-2009, 03:50 PM
"C" wrote:

"Suick" wrote:

Agreed CMac.
He may or not be the best back.
People have different opinions.
But iin the grand scheme of things who the hell cares?
The Vikes are 9-1.
AP is awesome regardless if others may or may not be better.

i_bleed_purple
11-25-2009, 03:53 PM
Its funny, CJ is getting the exact same comments about AD over the last two years "will he break Dickerson's record?" "Will he hit 2000?" etc.

PurplePackerEater
11-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Is Adrian Peterson the best in the League?

Yep.

peterson-rox28
11-25-2009, 04:27 PM
Top Backs in the league
Peterson
Johnson
Everyone Else

Peterson is just in his own league.
Johnson is having a great year, but this is his only great season. Peterson has had 3 great seasons.
Peterson has all the skills you need to be a great runner, speed and strength.
Johnson is slightly faster than Peterson, but Peterson is just better at everything else. Fast players don't last he will get slower and then be nothing but average.

jmcdon00
11-25-2009, 04:55 PM
"peterson-rox28" wrote:

Top Backs in the league
Peterson
Johnson
Everyone Else

Johnson is having a great year, but this is his only great season. Peterson has had 3 great seasons.
Johnson is slightly faster than Peterson, but Peterson is just better at everything else. Fast players don't last he will get slower and then be nothing but average.

This is Johnsons 2nd great season. Non the less I think the question is more who is the best right now. Tomlinson blows them both away in terms of career.
One thing that really amazes me about Johnson is he doesn't fumble(1 in ever 225 carries, peterson is 1 in every 47carries).

BloodyHorns82
11-25-2009, 05:05 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:

"peterson-rox28" wrote:

Top Backs in the league
Peterson
Johnson
Everyone Else

This is Johnsons 2nd great season. Non the less I think the question is more who is the best right now. Tomlinson blows them both away in terms of career.
One thing that really amazes me about Johnson is he doesn't fumble(1 in ever 225 carries, peterson is 1 in every 47carries).

Those immediately dispelling Johnson have their purple goggles on too tight.

Johnson is a stud.
He's a different type of runner than Peterson, but a stud in his own rights.

peterson-rox28
11-25-2009, 05:09 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:

"peterson-rox28" wrote:

Top Backs in the league
Peterson
Johnson
Everyone Else

I wouldn't say last year was a great year for CJ he was 9th in the NFL in yards and 13th in TD's Good but not Great.
Also if the question is who has had a better season, the answer would be CJ, but that doesn't mean he is the best.

jmcdon00
11-25-2009, 05:24 PM
"peterson-rox28" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

"peterson-rox28" wrote:

Top Backs in the league
Peterson
Johnson
Everyone Else

I wouldn't say last year was a great year for CJ he was 9th in the NFL in yards and 13th in TD's Good but not Great.
Also if the question is who has had a better season, the answer would be CJ, but that doesn't mean he is the best.

CJ was pretty darn good last year as a rookie. 1228yds, 4.9ypc(higher than Peterson), 9 rushing TD's and 1 recieving TD puts him at 10, same as Peterson(all rushing) for last year.
For a rookie it was a great season.

BloodyHorns82
11-25-2009, 05:35 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:

"peterson-rox28" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

"peterson-rox28" wrote:

Top Backs in the league
Peterson
Johnson
Everyone Else

CJ was pretty darn good last year as a rookie. 1228yds, 4.9ypc(higher than Peterson), 9 rushing TD's and 1 recieving TD puts him at 10, same as Peterson(all rushing) for last year.

Agreed.
Especially since the entire league crowned AD as the best last year.
Johnson's stats as a rookie were almost as good, and better in some areas.

VikesFan787
11-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Peterson's cards still sell for more money then Jackson's and Johnson's on eBay.
So Peterson is better.

Also, I love Chester Taylor. Just sayin.

Rockmolder
11-25-2009, 06:38 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:

"peterson-rox28" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

"peterson-rox28" wrote:

Top Backs in the league
Peterson
Johnson
Everyone Else

Especially if you take in mind that they really had a backfield by committee.

Chris Johnson - 251 carries, Lendale White - 200 carries.
Adrian Peterson - 362 carries, Chester Taylor - 100 carries.

Of course his stats will be lower in that case. He still had a great average, though, like said before. And, to go along with his high average and low fumble rate, he had 1 TD per 28 carries, AP had 1 every 36 carries, so he's getting his team some points, as well, if you really want to look at that.

That said, Johnson is a speedster. He's amazing in the secondary, but he's not the bruising type of back.

Don't get me wrong, he's great just running it up the middle for his type of back, but I think that AP is a more complete runner. He can do it all. He has amazing strength to go with this great speed and agility.

Which of the two is better, I don't know, it'd be a close call. I'd like to see some more out of Johnson first, as well.

ejmat
11-25-2009, 06:52 PM
"peterson-rox28" wrote:

Top Backs in the league
Peterson
Johnson
Everyone Else

I don't agree that he is better at everything else.
CJ doesn't fumble as much.
CJ is better catching out of the backfield.
As of right now, CJ is running better than AP.

ejmat
11-25-2009, 06:53 PM
"peterson-rox28" wrote:

"jmcdon00" wrote:

"peterson-rox28" wrote:

Top Backs in the league
Peterson
Johnson
Everyone Else

He also split time with LenDale White.
Pretty good for splitting time.

so-cal vike
11-25-2009, 07:01 PM
I haven't read the previous 6 pages of malarky, I'm just posting my simple answer to a simple question.

YES, Peterson is the best in the league.

I said period.

molineviking
11-25-2009, 07:07 PM
AP fits in chemistry wise, Easygoing, And hopefully in a few years he'll step out of bounds instead of going for that last hit which will save wear and tear. He has worked out great for us and I wouldn't trade him for any other back in the league.

C Mac D
11-25-2009, 07:11 PM
"so-cal" wrote:

I haven't read the previous 6 pages of malarky, I'm just posting my simple answer to a simple question.

I said period.

No, actually you didn't say period.

i_bleed_purple
11-25-2009, 08:35 PM
I just ran for 384 yards with Chris Johnson in all-pro mode on Madden, I think that in itself is proof he's the best in the league

:D ;)

CCthebest
11-25-2009, 09:05 PM
We have Farve now and I think the Oline is working more on pass protection then run blocking. Its a good thing, anyone that doesnt think any coach would take him over any other RB is nuts.

so-cal vike
11-25-2009, 09:30 PM
"C" wrote:

"so-cal" wrote:

I said period.

No, actually you didn't say period.

Actually, I didn't say anything at all.
;D

Marrdro
11-26-2009, 09:04 AM
"CCthebest" wrote:

We have Farve now and I think the Oline is working more on pass protection then run blocking. Its a good thing, anyone that doesnt think any coach would take him over any other RB is nuts.

Don't take this the wrong way my friend......I love to read your stuff.
Makes me think, however, of all of them that I've read, that has to be the most positive post I've ever seen you post.

Props my friend.