PDA

View Full Version : Childress era: close games, Ws improving.

Prophet
10-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Childress era.
Close games (a score or less) are being won more often as time progresses.

2006: 9 games decided by a score or less (22% resulted in wins)
2007: 8 games decided by a score or less (38% resulted in wins)
2008: 11 games decided by a score or less (64% resulted in wins)
2009: 3 games decided by a score or less (100% resulted in wins)—after 6 games

battleaxe4cheese
10-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Good dig prophet. I'm warming up more and more to the Chilli every day.

i_bleed_purple
10-22-2009, 06:49 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

Childress era.

You might find it interesting:

Childress's career coaching record is 30-24.
.555 winning percentage.

If you're willing to admit that his first season is a write-off since that was our biggest "rebuilding" year, his winning percentage is now 63%

PurpleHornsOfDestruction
10-22-2009, 07:01 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

Childress era.

good post. Course Lions were "close" in like 12 games last year didn't mean much. Close and lose doesn't always mean we were in it. Packers weren't in it but still lost by one score.

Still got to say Im like Chilly actually starting to be aggressive about it and able to win those close games. He has grown tremendously imo preparation and play calling. Less testing the waters. More going for it. Chilly's improved by 2 wins every season. And its not a coincidence. This year particularly he's doing a lot better. Still think there's a lot better and a lot of calls I hate by him (ie end of the Ravens game running after big plays 3 times and FGs) but Im not on the Fire Childress now bandwagon as much as I used to be.

jargomcfargo
10-22-2009, 09:44 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

Childress era.

I love this post. To be fair, we need to wait until this season is over before including it.
But the trend is plain to see.
Childress always plays the odds.
It makes him predictable, but also is making him a winner. However it always seems to keep games close.

Remember when he said the offensive scheme is kick ass and blamed the players for not executing it?
Sure looks like he was right.
Like some, we could say it was all Peterson. But now I guess we would have to say it is also Favre.

I question having Johnson at safety, Sullivan at center, and Tahi at fullback. But otherwise, Childress and Spielman have assembled one incredibly talented team.

Now we shall see how it goes, as adversity rears its ugly head, the remainder of this season.

I expect it will be pretty good, since I predicted a 14-2 record.

Prophet
10-23-2009, 07:33 AM
"PurpleHornsOfDestruction" wrote:

...good post. Course Lions were "close" in like 12 games last year didn't mean much. Close and lose doesn't always mean we were in it. Packers weren't in it but still lost by one score...

Yes, that's the point though.
Many games are close in the NFL, the good teams seem to find a way to win and the bad teams seem to find a way to lose.

Prophet
10-23-2009, 07:36 AM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

Childress era.

I love this post. To be fair, we need to wait until this season is over before including it.
It makes him predictable, but also is making him a winner. However it always seems to keep games close.

Remember when he said the offensive scheme is kick ass and blamed the players for not executing it?
Like some, we could say it was all Peterson. But now I guess we would have to say it is also Favre.

I question having Johnson at safety, Sullivan at center, and Tahi at fullback. But otherwise, Childress and Spielman have assembled one incredibly talented team.

Now we shall see how it goes, as adversity rears its ugly head, the remainder of this season.

I would say that execution has been the culprit most of the time.
This team is orders of magnitude better than the 2006 team.
The long-term solution at QB is still a huge question mark, but, then again, most teams can say the same thing.

Oh, your 14-2 prediction sucks.
Did you factor in the TW end of the world scenario?

Mr Anderson
10-23-2009, 08:02 AM
Interesting stats, I'll be sure to take them into account while I'm screaming at my television on Sunday.

snowinapril
10-23-2009, 08:19 AM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

Childress era.

Remember when he said the offensive scheme is kick jiggly butt and blamed the players for not executing it?

The comment in blue makes Ted Thompson look smart.
He knew we had a KAO and didn't want BF to run it, shipped him to NYJ.
Wait maybe he should have kept him, no wait.....
Already looking forward to GB in GB.
:D

snowinapril
10-23-2009, 08:22 AM
"Prophet" wrote:

"PurpleHornsOfDestruction" wrote:

...good post. Course Lions were "close" in like 12 games last year didn't mean much. Close and lose doesn't always mean we were in it. Packers weren't in it but still lost by one score...

Yes, that's the point though.
Many games are close in the NFL, the good teams seem to find a way to win and the bad teams seem to find a way to lose.

+1

Braddock
10-23-2009, 09:17 AM
I'm just going to jump in the Chilly pool with both feet.

I've never wanted him fired (i don't recall), and wished the fanbase would just support him, but i haven't liked him at times either.

This season has shown me that he CAN win football games with the personnel he wants, and with that video posted on here earlier, him mic'd up during the baltimore game, that gave me a perspective on his "coaching" tactics, instilling heart in his players, making sure his playmakers get the messages he wants them to play by.

I'm impressed, and I do hope he gets an extension, b/c I honestly, honestly don't think anyone available would do a better job.

People cry out for Cowher, but he only won the big game once out of how many years? And had the Rooney's not had such patience (with ALL their previous coaches) he probably would have lost that job much sooner in his career.

Gruden was in Tampa for a while and after the super bowl, his team never seemed to be able to crack elite status again. And I think his QB philosophy is atrocious (worse than Chilly's).

The only thing that we can fault him for is growing pains (releasing M. Robinson on Christmas???), and his hardline with Tarvaris. While TJ isn't starter material, he makes a hell of a back-up.

Chilly has taken this team from laughing stock of the NFL (remember those days?) to a respected organization, where good players want to now play. There hasn't been Dallas-esque media carving by the players, no squabble breaking assistant's jaws. We could have it SO much worse as organizational leadership goes.

Our drafts, especially recently, have all produced great, consistant talent in the expected rounds. Greenway, Peterson,Harvin, Rice (i think we can add him in now), Loadholt (as a rookie, great job), Sullivan (he's benefitting the most from Favre, imho). Sure, EVERY player hasn't turned out well, but that's the draft for you. It's a gamble. Plus, all the Free Agents (barring the first year's Eagle-fest) from Shiancoe, Hutch, J Allen, M. Williams.

The players buy into him, and I hate how fans still seem skeptical, though I understand it. As Vikings fans, we're all holding our collective breaths, waiting for the fall, b/c that's what we've always endured.

However, I think Childress has changed this team's culture and identity. As Prophet showed, we are winning the close games, instead of losing. We've been lucky, but so has every team at some point (Titans last year?).

I definitely think we're lucky to have Chilly, and I have no qualms if he gets a mid-season extension now, given the stability, the constant improvement, and league-wide respect we've earned over the past several years.

Hats off to you Chilly!

Marrdro
10-23-2009, 09:34 AM
"Braddock" wrote:

........snip......

Hats off to you Chilly!

Hmmmmm, my apologies my friend. I had you on the "I hate the Chiller" spreadsheet.

Excellent post my friend.
Excellent post indeed.
;)

Prophet
10-23-2009, 11:31 AM
"Braddock" wrote:

I've never wanted him fired (i don't recall), and wished the fanbase would just support him, but i haven't liked him at times either.

This season has shown me that he CAN win football games with the personnel he wants, and with that video posted on here earlier, him mic'd up during the baltimore game, that gave me a perspective on his "coaching" tactics, instilling heart in his players, making sure his playmakers get the messages he wants them to play by.

I'm impressed, and I do hope he gets an extension, b/c I honestly, honestly don't think anyone available would do a better job.

People cry out for Cowher, but he only won the big game once out of how many years? And had the Rooney's not had such patience (with ALL their previous coaches) he probably would have lost that job much sooner in his career.

Gruden was in Tampa for a while and after the super bowl, his team never seemed to be able to crack elite status again. And I think his QB philosophy is atrocious (worse than Chilly's).

The only thing that we can fault him for is growing pains (releasing M. Robinson on Christmas???), and his hardline with Tarvaris. While TJ isn't starter material, he makes a hell of a back-up.

Chilly has taken this team from laughing stock of the NFL (remember those days?) to a respected organization, where good players want to now play. There hasn't been Dallas-esque media carving by the players, no squabble breaking assistant's jaws. We could have it SO much worse as organizational leadership goes.

Our drafts, especially recently, have all produced great, consistant talent in the expected rounds. Greenway, Peterson,Harvin, Rice (i think we can add him in now), Loadholt (as a rookie, great job), Sullivan (he's benefitting the most from Favre, imho). Sure, EVERY player hasn't turned out well, but that's the draft for you. It's a gamble. Plus, all the Free Agents (barring the first year's Eagle-fest) from Shiancoe, Hutch, J Allen, M. Williams.

The players buy into him, and I hate how fans still seem skeptical, though I understand it. As Vikings fans, we're all holding our collective breaths, waiting for the fall, b/c that's what we've always endured.

However, I think Childress has changed this team's culture and identity. As Prophet showed, we are winning the close games, instead of losing. We've been lucky, but so has every team at some point (Titans last year?).

I definitely think we're lucky to have Chilly, and I have no qualms if he gets a mid-season extension now, given the stability, the constant improvement, and league-wide respect we've earned over the past several years.

Hats off to you Chilly!

+1

I'm also not keen on bringing in another coach.
Yet.
I like the direction the team is heading for the first time in a long time.
Focusing on the lines seems obvious, but other recent coaches have not done that.
The phenomenal offseason acquisitions and the team being coached by someone that isn't retarded is a relief.
Having an owner that is willing to work on his investment sure doesn't hurt either.

Many of the concerns I have had have been over the QB situation.
The bandaid this year and possibly next is great and has exposed how important that position is for those that forgot or never knew.
It will be interesting to see what the next QB situation will be when Favre decides to ride his tractor in circles in southern Mississippi.

Even though I still don't like Spielman I do have confidence in the scouts and, mostly, in Brzezinski.
Although Brzezinski may not be as much of a factor if we go into capless years.
I do like Frazier and believe he'll adjust to the inevitable changes in the defense due to injury.

V4L
10-23-2009, 12:19 PM
Fire Chilldress

Prophet
10-23-2009, 01:15 PM
"V4L" wrote:

Fire Chilldress

lol, I was wondering why it took so long for that to pop up.

Braddock
10-23-2009, 01:52 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Braddock" wrote:

........snip......

Hats off to you Chilly!

Hmmmmm, my apologies my friend. I had you on the "I hate the Chiller" spreadsheet.

Excellent post my friend.
Excellent post indeed.

;)

I put "that i recall" in there, b/c i wouldn't be surprised if in a tirade i condemned him to hell.

But in all reality, I'm Pro-Chiller, Pro-TJ, Pro-Favre, all because I'm Pro-Vikings. That's what it comes down to for me. I want everyone to succeed, and when they are not, I'm Pro-Coaching Staff to recognize the appropriate course of action.

bleedpurple
10-23-2009, 03:23 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

"Braddock" wrote:

Hats off to you Chilly!

+1

Yet.
Focusing on the lines seems obvious, but other recent coaches have not done that.
The phenomenal offseason acquisitions and the team being coached by someone that isn't Challenged Hillbilly Lover'd is a relief.
Having an owner that is willing to work on his investment sure doesn't hurt either.

The bandaid this year and possibly next is great and has exposed how important that position is for those that forgot or never knew.
It will be interesting to see what the next QB situation will be when Favre decides to ride his tractor in circles in southern Mississippi.

Even though I still don't like Spielman I do have confidence in the scouts and, mostly, in Brzezinski.
I do like Frazier and believe he'll adjust to the inevitable changes in the defense due to injury.

both good posts... but I'm still skeptical of this guy... that end of the baltimore game was atrocious... he should have called a time out when the momentum started to swing..

So while I'm skeptical of him as a coach, I will say that he sure as hell knows how to put together a football team.
I've always said that... So, while the jury is still out on him trolling the sidelines, we can move him to upstairs anytime...

I say wait until the end of the season to get that extension worked out!!
let's not do this prematurely.. bc Brett Favre sure as hell is saving his ass... had he not been here, we could easily be 3-3 or 4-2 right now.. not bad but not great either... and ppl would def. be callin for his head...

Marrdro
10-24-2009, 12:53 AM
"bleedpurple" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

"Braddock" wrote:

Hats off to you Chilly!

+1

Yet.
The phenomenal offseason acquisitions and the team being coached by someone that isn't Challenged Hillbilly Lover'd is a relief.

both good posts... but I'm still skeptical of this guy... that end of the baltimore game was atrocious... he should have called a time out when the momentum started to swing..

So while I'm skeptical of him as a coach, I will say that he sure as hell knows how to put together a football team.
I've always said that... So, while the jury is still out on him trolling the sidelines, we can move him to upstairs anytime...

I say wait until the end of the season to get that extension worked out!!
let's not do this prematurely.. bc Brett Favre sure as hell is saving his jiggly butt... had he not been here, we could easily be 3-3 or 4-2 right now.. not bad but not great either... and ppl would def. be callin for his head...

Show me a winning coach that didn't have a good QB.
Ohhh wait, didn't the Chiller win the division last year without a QB?

Hmmmmm, seems to me that would take some coaching now wouldn't it?
;)

V4L
10-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Fire brad