PDA

View Full Version : My Assessment and Feelings about the Vikings and where they rank in the NFL



echizen20
10-21-2009, 02:41 AM
Hello everyone, I just thought I'd like to say whats on my mind about how I feel about this Vikings team.
You may or may not agree with some of the things i'll say but it's all just a matter of opinion right? ;)

Right now based on the Vikings record and how they are playing, I will say they are a lock on the NFC North champs.
I just don't see the other 3 teams in our division better than us at this point.
I don't see us playing worse during the 2nd half of the season either.
I think the only thing that will hold us back or not playing at our full potential is if we lose several playmakers to injuries.
Other than that, I see every team ahead in the schedule beatable, some tougher than others obviously but winnable considering the amount of talent we have.


Right now, I don't see any team in the NFL that can flat out stop our offense both running and passing.
While I don't want to say that we have an unstoppable pass or run game, I will say that to this point we have shown and proven that we can run and pass both very effectively.
We are basically very balanced, probably the most balanced offense in the NFL.
This means that teams are going to have to be very careful game planning against us.
We all know that if they put 8 or more men in the box and if Favre really favors the matchups that he sees on the field, he can audible and make something happen downfield, he has shown that already.
And with AD lined up behind him, teams just seemingly have to always watch out for him.
Seriously teams just can't play us and be too focused on stopping Peterson or backing out into coverages.
And if they just leave 7 in the box and are playing both the run and pass, we still have the advantage.
Just look at how the Ravens played us, they pretty much played to stop AP, Favre burnt them downfield, they backed off, Peterson started getting big runs...and the Ravens were supposed to be our first real test for our offense.
It's like what the experts are saying, they have to pick their poison.
If the offense stays healthy, this team can easily put up minimum 20+(30 average) a game.
I think its safe to say the Saints and maybe the Colts have a little more firepower than us but our team will be the harder one to gameplan against because we are so versatile.
And come Playoff-Superbowl time, when it matters that you have to be able to Run and Pass, our team can certainly do both very well.

Offensively I think we have established our Identity and that is, as i said earlier, we are a very good and balanced offense and we're still improving.
I say that because I totally agree with Favre and I see all the talent as a whole.
Our Identity on the defense...I'm going to say we haven't really put a print on it yet.
Just because we haven't shown consistency, we play very well and then end up playing sloppy or viceversa, but what i do know is, like our offense, we have the playmakers and we have the talent.
I still have yet to see a complete game and consistency from the defense and to see if they can carry that consistency from game to game.
But consistent or not, the defense has played good enough that when the game is over, the points on our side of the scoreboard is > the opponents.
And in the end, thats all that matters.
You move on, you work, you practice, you study, you improve, and then when gameday comes, you play and you play to win.
I'm not saying we dont have any weaknesses, heck you can't look at the other 31 teams in the NFL and say they don't have weaknesses either, but wins and losses aren't just because of teams own strengths or weaknesses.
You have to believe wins and losses are resulted by many things, luck, passion, effort, talent, play calling, and most importantly teamwork.
And the Vikings have certainly displayed all of that for the most part.


If you look at our team on paper...and look at some of the players we have on the team...and you watch how we have played...and you look at the stats...and you look at our undefeated 6-0 record, we are one of the best teams right now in the NFL.
Some may argue that we're not the best team in the NFL and that we're only lucky, well even I believe right now we are not the best team in the NFL. But it isn't the best team that always wins games.
Its the team that by the end of the day has more points.
And best team or not, i have confidence we can beat anybody.
I'm sure the Vikings Locker room feel the same way.
Well this is what I truly feel about this team and as a big Brett Favre and AD fan, i just gotta believe this has to be the year for them to win the championship.
I realize in the end it may not turn out the way i hope it to, but so far all my expectations have been exceeded of the team and I'm fully enjoying watching this team play week after week, afterall we do have the two most exciting players to watch in the NFL.

Marrdro
10-21-2009, 05:11 AM
Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?

ejmat
10-21-2009, 05:46 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:


Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


That's tough to say and a good question Marr.
I believe every team is a work in progress all the time.
After all you have to game plan differently and continue to improve each and every week.


As far as gelling is concerned, there is still work to do.
The OL seems to be doing better but as you pointed out and I totally agree with the defensive secondary is having a tough go at it.
The hand off between CB and S on plays seems pathetic at times.
I noticed that they started playing more of a man on defense against the Ravens as evidenced by Paymah and Griff still being with the WRs on the long passes.
It seemed more often than before.
The DL has been together now for over a year so hey are gelling just fine.
The one criticism I have believe it or not are for Allen and Robison.
It isn't such a bad thing but sometimes I think they come to quick off the snap and in essense take themselves out of the play.
Especially on screens or draw plays.
That maybe what's called though so I can't really blame them.
Especially when they are always on the QBs ass pressuring them.

The offense itself is clicking but to me it is still a work in progress.
Favre and the WRs seem to be doing fine now but there are still things they need to learn about each other.
That is another constant work in progress, gell and mesh.

That being said, I am happy with how the team is playing this year.
They are continuing to improve week after week.
They just need to put an entire 60 minutes of football together on both sides of the ball.
If they can start doing that I believe there is no team they cannot beat in the NFL.

BloodyHorns82
10-21-2009, 11:30 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:


Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


I think Favre being here (new QB under center) grealy increases the amount of time it takes for the team to completely develop or gell together.
But hey, even this developing Vikings team is better than last year's gelled team so I'll take it.

i_bleed_purple
10-21-2009, 11:34 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:


Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


when we're no longer last in yards against on defense and 5th last in points against.

Overlord
10-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Pretty good take echizon20.
I really agree with that last paragraph.
The Vikes look good enough to beat anybody if things line up, and they're a very fun team to watch.
It'd be great to turn that into a Super Bowl win, but the ride is pretty darn fun even if they don't get there.

"Marrdro" wrote:


Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


Every team is always "a work in progress" according to their coach and fans.
It makes everyone feel better about the team's weaknesses.
And it's kind of true, because they are practicing and adding new things to the playbook every week.

But that doesn't mean that teams always get better as the season goes on.
Sometimes teams get worse, and that could happen to the Vikes here.
I hope they don't, but it happens to some teams every year.

echizen20
10-21-2009, 01:16 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:


Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


The answer to that question is.........When the Minnesota Vikings win the superbowl ;)

i_bleed_purple
10-21-2009, 01:17 PM
"echizen20" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


The answer to that question is.........When the Minnesota Vikings win the superbowl ;)


This february

Zeus
10-21-2009, 01:57 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


when we're no longer last in yards against on defense and 5th last in points against.


Since neither of those are true, I guess the answer is "now".

Vikings are 18th in Yards/Game 341.8/game and 18th in points allowed/game at 20.2/game.

=Z=

i_bleed_purple
10-21-2009, 01:58 PM
"Zeus" wrote:


"i_bleed_purple" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


when we're no longer last in yards against on defense and 5th last in points against.


Since neither of those are true, I guess the answer is "now".

Vikings are 18th in Yards/Game 341.8/game and 18th in points allowed/game at 20.2/game.

=Z=


well who the hell told me otherwise?
I just copied that from another thread.
That will teach me to believe what people here say.

Zeus
10-21-2009, 02:00 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:


"i_bleed_purple" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


when we're no longer last in yards against on defense and 5th last in points against.


Since neither of those are true, I guess the answer is "now".

Vikings are 18th in Yards/Game 341.8/game and 18th in points allowed/game at 20.2/game.


well who the hell told me otherwise?
I just copied that from another thread.
That will teach me to believe what people here say.


I always try to check my facts before using them.
Gotta love NFL.com's sortables!

=Z=

ultravikingfan
10-21-2009, 02:26 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:


"i_bleed_purple" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


when we're no longer last in yards against on defense and 5th last in points against.


Since neither of those are true, I guess the answer is "now".

Vikings are 18th in Yards/Game 341.8/game and 18th in points allowed/game at 20.2/game.

=Z=


well who the hell told me otherwise?
I just copied that from another thread.
That will teach me to believe what people here say.


I wouldn't trust anything people say here.


...especially Zeus.

C Mac D
10-21-2009, 02:30 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:


"i_bleed_purple" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:


"i_bleed_purple" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


when we're no longer last in yards against on defense and 5th last in points against.


Since neither of those are true, I guess the answer is "now".

Vikings are 18th in Yards/Game 341.8/game and 18th in points allowed/game at 20.2/game.

=Z=


well who the hell told me otherwise?
I just copied that from another thread.
That will teach me to believe what people here say.


I wouldn't trust anything people say here.


...especially Zeus.


IBP, those are 4th quarter stats.

We rank last in yards given up in the 4th quarter and 3rd in points given up.

i_bleed_purple
10-21-2009, 02:31 PM
"C" wrote:


"ultravikingfan" wrote:


"i_bleed_purple" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:


"i_bleed_purple" wrote:




Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


when we're no longer last in yards against on defense and 5th last in points against.


Since neither of those are true, I guess the answer is "now".

Vikings are 18th in Yards/Game 341.8/game and 18th in points allowed/game at 20.2/game.

=Z=


well who the hell told me otherwise?
I just copied that from another thread.
That will teach me to believe what people here say.


I wouldn't trust anything people say here.


...especially Zeus.


IBP, those are 4th quarter stats.

We rank last in yards given up in the 4th quarter and 3rd in points given up.


ah, that could be it then.

ultravikingfan
10-21-2009, 02:31 PM
"C" wrote:


"ultravikingfan" wrote:


"i_bleed_purple" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:


"i_bleed_purple" wrote:




Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


when we're no longer last in yards against on defense and 5th last in points against.


Since neither of those are true, I guess the answer is "now".

Vikings are 18th in Yards/Game 341.8/game and 18th in points allowed/game at 20.2/game.

=Z=


well who the hell told me otherwise?
I just copied that from another thread.
That will teach me to believe what people here say.


I wouldn't trust anything people say here.


...especially Zeus.


IBP, those are 4th quarter stats.

We rank last in yards given up in the 4th quarter and 3rd in points given up.


Meh...we're just chillin after the half.

C Mac D
10-21-2009, 02:34 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:


"C" wrote:


"ultravikingfan" wrote:


"i_bleed_purple" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:






Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


when we're no longer last in yards against on defense and 5th last in points against.


Since neither of those are true, I guess the answer is "now".

Vikings are 18th in Yards/Game 341.8/game and 18th in points allowed/game at 20.2/game.

=Z=


well who the hell told me otherwise?
I just copied that from another thread.
That will teach me to believe what people here say.


I wouldn't trust anything people say here.


...especially Zeus.


IBP, those are 4th quarter stats.

We rank last in yards given up in the 4th quarter and 3rd in points given up.


Meh...we're just chillin after the half.


Chilly's halftime speeches must be reminiscent of episodes of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.

tastywaves
10-21-2009, 02:37 PM
"C" wrote:


"ultravikingfan" wrote:


"C" wrote:


"ultravikingfan" wrote:


"i_bleed_purple" wrote:








Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


when we're no longer last in yards against on defense and 5th last in points against.


Since neither of those are true, I guess the answer is "now".

Vikings are 18th in Yards/Game 341.8/game and 18th in points allowed/game at 20.2/game.

=Z=


well who the hell told me otherwise?
I just copied that from another thread.
That will teach me to believe what people here say.


I wouldn't trust anything people say here.


...especially Zeus.


IBP, those are 4th quarter stats.

We rank last in yards given up in the 4th quarter and 3rd in points given up.


Meh...we're just chillin after the half.


Chilly's halftime speeches must be reminiscent of episodes of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.


According to last week's game announcers, MN leads the NFL in scoring on their initial drive out of halftime.
Must be doing something right in his speeches.
Maybe the Mr. Rogers approach is the way to go.

C Mac D
10-21-2009, 02:39 PM
"tastywaves" wrote:


"C" wrote:


"ultravikingfan" wrote:


"C" wrote:


"ultravikingfan" wrote:










Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


when we're no longer last in yards against on defense and 5th last in points against.


Since neither of those are true, I guess the answer is "now".

Vikings are 18th in Yards/Game 341.8/game and 18th in points allowed/game at 20.2/game.

=Z=


well who the hell told me otherwise?
I just copied that from another thread.
That will teach me to believe what people here say.


I wouldn't trust anything people say here.


...especially Zeus.


IBP, those are 4th quarter stats.

We rank last in yards given up in the 4th quarter and 3rd in points given up.


Meh...we're just chillin after the half.


Chilly's halftime speeches must be reminiscent of episodes of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.


According to last week's game announcers, MN leads the NFL in scoring on their initial drive out of halftime.
Must be doing something right in his speeches.
Maybe the Mr. Rogers approach is the way to go.


Well, it does feel good when someone says they want to be your neighbor.

oaklandzoo24
10-21-2009, 02:42 PM
I love halftime speeches and actually think they are very important for teams.
Motivational speakers should be brought in for the vikes at halftime because halftime speeches can have a huge impact on momentum.
I know alot of you think about as Pros these guys should be able to motivate themselves which is true.
But as a former football player and those of you who also were, I think we can all agree that halftime speeches can really have a a huge impact.
I remember one game we were down by 21 or something like that at half and a coach gave us this crazy speech about a small linebacker who absolutely took over a goalline stand telling the QB and RB to run it right at him and he stuffed them single handedly 4x.
The way he told it was so motivating and we all came out of the tunnel with a fire lit up under our asses and came away with a 3 point victory.

BloodyHorns82
10-21-2009, 03:16 PM
"oaklandzoo24" wrote:


I love halftime speeches and actually think they are very important for teams.
Motivational speakers should be brought in for the vikes at halftime because halftime speeches can have a huge impact on momentum.
I know alot of you think about as Pros these guys should be able to motivate themselves which is true.
But as a former football player and those of you who also were, I think we can all agree that halftime speeches can really have a a huge impact.
I remember one game we were down by 21 or something like that at half and a coach gave us this crazy speech about a small linebacker who absolutely took over a goalline stand telling the QB and RB to run it right at him and he stuffed them single handedly 4x.
The way he told it was so motivating and we all came out of the tunnel with a fire lit up under our asses and came away with a 3 point victory.


Vikings are #1 in the NFL for scoring on their first drive after the half.
We don't' need a motivational speaker, we have Brad Childress!

Bkfldviking
10-21-2009, 04:04 PM
"oaklandzoo24" wrote:


I love halftime speeches and actually think they are very important for teams.
Motivational speakers should be brought in for the vikes at halftime because halftime speeches can have a huge impact on momentum.
I know alot of you think about as Pros these guys should be able to motivate themselves which is true.
But as a former football player and those of you who also were, I think we can all agree that halftime speeches can really have a a huge impact.
I remember one game we were down by 21 or something like that at half and a coach gave us this crazy speech about a small linebacker who absolutely took over a goalline stand telling the QB and RB to run it right at him and he stuffed them single handedly 4x.
The way he told it was so motivating and we all came out of the tunnel with a fire lit up under our dimply buttocks and came away with a 3 point victory.


We could have Zeus come down and preach to them at half time. ;D

NodakPaul
10-21-2009, 04:41 PM
"C" wrote:


"ultravikingfan" wrote:


"C" wrote:


"ultravikingfan" wrote:


"i_bleed_purple" wrote:








Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


when we're no longer last in yards against on defense and 5th last in points against.


Since neither of those are true, I guess the answer is "now".

Vikings are 18th in Yards/Game 341.8/game and 18th in points allowed/game at 20.2/game.

=Z=


well who the hell told me otherwise?
I just copied that from another thread.
That will teach me to believe what people here say.


I wouldn't trust anything people say here.


...especially Zeus.


IBP, those are 4th quarter stats.

We rank last in yards given up in the 4th quarter and 3rd in points given up.


Meh...we're just chillin after the half.


Chilly's halftime speeches must be reminiscent of episodes of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.


Out of curiousity, why haven't you posted the 3rd quarter stats?
You know, like the stat that says we have outscored our opponents 51 - 10 in the third quarter so far this season?
Sounds like our halftime adjustments are pretty damn good so far...

And not to bring silly things like FACTS into this, but we are 4th in points given up in the 4th quarter.
Not 3rd.
I am not going to add all the yards up, but I have a feeling that it wrong too.
FYI, prior to this week, we were 15th.
One bad quarter, and all of a sudden the wheels are falling off...
::)

4th quarter points given up is a worthless stat anyway.
There is a HELLUVA lot that affects how many points a team gives up in the 4th quarter.
If it was such a tell all stat, then horseshit teams like Tennesee and Seattle wouldn't be the 4th and 5th best for 4th Q points given up.
BTW, in case anyone is curious, Pittsburgh is tied for the second worst in 4th Q given up.
They must be a pushover, right?
::)

Here is the breakdown of 4th quarter points given up by team.
You can see that Minnesota is actually doing pretty good, and had one bad quarter against the Ravens.
The Ravens, BTW, are one of the best 4th quarter scoring teams, putting up two games already with 21 or more points in the 4th.
But I am sure that has nothing to do with it, it MUST be the Vikings and their poor coaching...

Week123456Total 4Q given upGames PlayedAvg per game
Denver700000761.166666667
Green Bay33020851.6
New Orleans0200101252.4
Tennessee3337301963.166666667
Seattle0386032063.333333333
San Fran307071753.4
Houston7070702163.5
Cincinatti6306702263.666666667
New England7307702464
Jacksonville00087102564.166666667
Carolina0711072555
Oakland14730333065
Chicago1106372755.4
Washington60631183465.666666667
NY Giants77013073465.666666667
NY Jets70072103565.833333333
Indy61001403056
Atlanta7710073156.2
Philly0147733156.2
Arizona7731403156.2
Detroit710714003866.333333333
Baltimore103337133966.5
Cleveland101476034066.666666667
Tampa Bay141370574667.666666667
San Diego103710104058
Buffalo156177304868
Kansas City217771005268.666666667
Dallas141301074458.8
Minnesota73797215469
St Louis00131414145569.166666667
Pittsburgh3101421705569.166666667
Miami3141371451510.2

BloodyHorns82
10-21-2009, 04:48 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


"C" wrote:


"ultravikingfan" wrote:


"C" wrote:


"ultravikingfan" wrote:










Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


when we're no longer last in yards against on defense and 5th last in points against.


Since neither of those are true, I guess the answer is "now".

Vikings are 18th in Yards/Game 341.8/game and 18th in points allowed/game at 20.2/game.

=Z=


well who the hell told me otherwise?
I just copied that from another thread.
That will teach me to believe what people here say.


I wouldn't trust anything people say here.


...especially Zeus.


IBP, those are 4th quarter stats.

We rank last in yards given up in the 4th quarter and 3rd in points given up.


Meh...we're just chillin after the half.


Chilly's halftime speeches must be reminiscent of episodes of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.


Out of curiousity, why haven't you posted the 3rd quarter stats?
You know, like the stat that says we have outscored our opponents 51 - 10 in the third quarter so far this season?
Sounds like our halftime adjustments are pretty damn good so far...

And not to bring silly things like FACTS into this, but we are 4th in points given up in the 4th quarter.
Not 3rd.
I am not going to add all the yards up, but I have a feeling that it wrong too.
FYI, prior to this week, we were 15th.
One bad quarter, and all of a sudden the wheels are falling off...
::)

4th quarter points given up is a worthless stat anyway.
There is a HELLUVA lot that affects how many points a team gives up in the 4th quarter.
If it was such a tell all stat, then horseshit teams like Tennesee and Seattle wouldn't be the 4th and 5th best for 4th Q points given up.
BTW, in case anyone is curious, Pittsburgh is tied for the second worst in 4th Q given up.
They must be a pushover, right?
::)

Here is the breakdown of 4th quarter points given up by team.
You can see that Minnesota is actually doing pretty good, and had one bad quarter against the Ravens.
The Ravens, BTW, are one of the best 4th quarter scoring teams, putting up two games already with 21 or more points in the 4th.
But I am sure that has nothing to do with it, it MUST be the Vikings and their poor coaching...

Week123456Total 4Q given upGames PlayedAvg per game
Denver700000761.166666667
Green Bay33020851.6
New Orleans0200101252.4
Tennessee3337301963.166666667
Seattle0386032063.333333333
San Fran307071753.4
Houston7070702163.5
Cincinatti6306702263.666666667
New England7307702464
Jacksonville00087102564.166666667
Carolina0711072555
Oakland14730333065
Chicago1106372755.4
Washington60631183465.666666667
NY Giants77013073465.666666667
NY Jets70072103565.833333333
Indy61001403056
Atlanta7710073156.2
Philly0147733156.2
Arizona7731403156.2
Detroit710714003866.333333333
Baltimore103337133966.5
Cleveland101476034066.666666667
Tampa Bay141370574667.666666667
San Diego103710104058
Buffalo156177304868
Kansas City217771005268.666666667
Dallas141301074458.8
Minnesota73797215469
St Louis00131414145569.166666667
Pittsburgh3101421705569.166666667
Miami3141371451510.2



What the Fuck Nodak?
Posting garbage stats like this makes Chilly out to in fact not be the worst HC to ever step foot on an NFL playing field.
This is going against what the greatest football mind in the history of the world is trying to tell us.
He will strike you down with his mental prowess all the way from NYC.
I see him crouching now..in his stance ready to do unmentionable things to you and your soul.

tastywaves
10-21-2009, 04:54 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


"C" wrote:


"ultravikingfan" wrote:


"C" wrote:


"ultravikingfan" wrote:










Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


when we're no longer last in yards against on defense and 5th last in points against.


Since neither of those are true, I guess the answer is "now".

Vikings are 18th in Yards/Game 341.8/game and 18th in points allowed/game at 20.2/game.

=Z=


well who the hell told me otherwise?
I just copied that from another thread.
That will teach me to believe what people here say.


I wouldn't trust anything people say here.


...especially Zeus.


IBP, those are 4th quarter stats.

We rank last in yards given up in the 4th quarter and 3rd in points given up.


Meh...we're just chillin after the half.


Chilly's halftime speeches must be reminiscent of episodes of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.


Out of curiousity, why haven't you posted the 3rd quarter stats?
You know, like the stat that says we have outscored our opponents 51 - 10 in the third quarter so far this season?
Sounds like our halftime adjustments are pretty gol 'darnit good so far...

And not to bring silly things like FACTS into this, but we are 4th in points given up in the 4th quarter.
Not 3rd.
I am not going to add all the yards up, but I have a feeling that it wrong too.
FYI, prior to this week, we were 15th.
One bad quarter, and all of a sudden the wheels are falling off...
::)

4th quarter points given up is a worthless stat anyway.
There is a HELLUVA lot that affects how many points a team gives up in the 4th quarter.
If it was such a tell all stat, then poopy teams like Tennesee and Seattle wouldn't be the 4th and 5th best for 4th Q points given up.
BTW, in case anyone is curious, Pittsburgh is tied for the second worst in 4th Q given up.
They must be a pushover, right?
::)

Here is the breakdown of 4th quarter points given up by team.
You can see that Minnesota is actually doing pretty good, and had one bad quarter against the Ravens.
The Ravens, BTW, are one of the best 4th quarter scoring teams, putting up two games already with 21 or more points in the 4th.
But I am sure that has nothing to do with it, it MUST be the Vikings and their poor coaching...

Week123456Total 4Q given upGames PlayedAvg per game
Denver700000761.166666667
Green Bay33020851.6
New Orleans0200101252.4
Tennessee3337301963.166666667
Seattle0386032063.333333333
San Fran307071753.4
Houston7070702163.5
Cincinatti6306702263.666666667
New England7307702464
Jacksonville00087102564.166666667
Carolina0711072555
Oakland14730333065
Chicago1106372755.4
Washington60631183465.666666667
NY Giants77013073465.666666667
NY Jets70072103565.833333333
Indy61001403056
Atlanta7710073156.2
Philly0147733156.2
Arizona7731403156.2
Detroit710714003866.333333333
Baltimore103337133966.5
Cleveland101476034066.666666667
Tampa Bay141370574667.666666667
San Diego103710104058
Buffalo156177304868
Kansas City217771005268.666666667
Dallas141301074458.8
Minnesota73797215469
St Louis00131414145569.166666667
Pittsburgh3101421705569.166666667
Miami3141371451510.2



Those are just the facts though......................... I'm just saying.

fanofteam
10-21-2009, 04:59 PM
I'll save my reply for a few weeks.
At this point we have played 3 decent teams and should have lost 2 of the games.

If the Vikes get homefield they will be tough though

C Mac D
10-21-2009, 05:01 PM
"tastywaves" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


"C" wrote:


"ultravikingfan" wrote:


"C" wrote:












Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


when we're no longer last in yards against on defense and 5th last in points against.


Since neither of those are true, I guess the answer is "now".

Vikings are 18th in Yards/Game 341.8/game and 18th in points allowed/game at 20.2/game.

=Z=


well who the hell told me otherwise?
I just copied that from another thread.
That will teach me to believe what people here say.


I wouldn't trust anything people say here.


...especially Zeus.


IBP, those are 4th quarter stats.

We rank last in yards given up in the 4th quarter and 3rd in points given up.


Meh...we're just chillin after the half.


Chilly's halftime speeches must be reminiscent of episodes of Mr. Rogers Neighborhood.


Out of curiousity, why haven't you posted the 3rd quarter stats?
You know, like the stat that says we have outscored our opponents 51 - 10 in the third quarter so far this season?
Sounds like our halftime adjustments are pretty gol 'darnit good so far...

And not to bring silly things like FACTS into this, but we are 4th in points given up in the 4th quarter.
Not 3rd.
I am not going to add all the yards up, but I have a feeling that it wrong too.
FYI, prior to this week, we were 15th.
One bad quarter, and all of a sudden the wheels are falling off...
::)

4th quarter points given up is a worthless stat anyway.
There is a HELLUVA lot that affects how many points a team gives up in the 4th quarter.
If it was such a tell all stat, then poopy teams like Tennesee and Seattle wouldn't be the 4th and 5th best for 4th Q points given up.
BTW, in case anyone is curious, Pittsburgh is tied for the second worst in 4th Q given up.
They must be a pushover, right?
::)

Here is the breakdown of 4th quarter points given up by team.
You can see that Minnesota is actually doing pretty good, and had one bad quarter against the Ravens.
The Ravens, BTW, are one of the best 4th quarter scoring teams, putting up two games already with 21 or more points in the 4th.
But I am sure that has nothing to do with it, it MUST be the Vikings and their poor coaching...

Week123456Total 4Q given upGames PlayedAvg per game
Denver700000761.166666667
Green Bay33020851.6
New Orleans0200101252.4
Tennessee3337301963.166666667
Seattle0386032063.333333333
San Fran307071753.4
Houston7070702163.5
Cincinatti6306702263.666666667
New England7307702464
Jacksonville00087102564.166666667
Carolina0711072555
Oakland14730333065
Chicago1106372755.4
Washington60631183465.666666667
NY Giants77013073465.666666667
NY Jets70072103565.833333333
Indy61001403056
Atlanta7710073156.2
Philly0147733156.2
Arizona7731403156.2
Detroit710714003866.333333333
Baltimore103337133966.5
Cleveland101476034066.666666667
Tampa Bay141370574667.666666667
San Diego103710104058
Buffalo156177304868
Kansas City217771005268.666666667
Dallas141301074458.8
Minnesota73797215469
St Louis00131414145569.166666667
Pittsburgh3101421705569.166666667
Miami3141371451510.2



Those are just the facts though......................... I'm just saying.


Just as it's fact that we give up more yards than any other team in the NFL during the 4th quarter. I guess it's ok to ignore that?

Just sayin'. Some of us just look at the team objectively and not with purple shades all the time... or putting the lyrics to "Welcome to Miami" in their sig...


Also, I like how you're saying we're doing "pretty good" in 4th quarter defense, yet we're 4th from the bottom in the league. How are those purple shades workin' for ya?

NodakPaul
10-21-2009, 05:05 PM
"fanofteam" wrote:


I'll save my reply for a few weeks.
At this point we have played 3 decent teams and should have lost 2 of the games.

If the Vikes get homefield they will be tough though


"Should have" is subjective.
While I understand what you are saying, what did San Fran or Baltimore do to make them deserve the win so much more?
I don't think they did anything that could make me say that they "should have" won.

In fact, the two games are almost mirror images of each other.
In the San Fran game, both teams played well, and Minnesota was able to march down the field in the final two minutes and win with a last second score.
In the Baltimore game, both teams played well, and Baltimore was able to march down the field but missed a last second score to win.
If Minnesota "should have" lost the San Fran game, then Baltimore "should have" lost too.

A couple of years ago, we were losing a lot of close games.
Now we are a better team, and we are winning the close games.
I don't think that it is fiar to take anything away from what this team has done so far.
Is there room for improvement? Absolutely!
Are we the best team in the NFL right now? Nope, that would be Denver or New Orleans IMHO.
But are we a good team with a better than average chance to win each and every Sunday? Yes we are.
Are we Superbowl Contenders? Yes we are.

NodakPaul
10-21-2009, 05:23 PM
"C" wrote:


Just as it's fact that we give up more yards than any other team in the NFL during the 4th quarter. I guess it's ok to ignore that?

Just sayin'. Some of us just look at the team objectively and not with purple shades all the time... or putting the lyrics to "Welcome to Miami" in their sig...


Also, I like how you're saying we're doing "pretty good" in 4th quarter defense, yet we're 4th from the bottom in the league. How are those purple shades workin' for ya?


Your "fact" about us being 3rd worst in points given up was wrong, I have absolutely no reason to believe that your "fact" about us being last in yardage is correct either.

And we have given up 7, 3, 7, 9, 7, and 21 points in the 4th quarter so far this year.
5 good games, 1 bad game.
Yes, that sounds like we are pretty good to me.
In fact, let's break down all the games so far...

Week 1: We enter the 4th Q up 24-13.
We outscore our opponent in the 4th 10-7.
Week 2: We enter the 4th Q up 17-10.
We outscore our opponent in the 4th 10-3.
Week 3: We enter the 4th Q up 20-17.
We score the same as our opponent in the 4th 7-7.
Week 4: We enter the 4th Q up 28-14.
Our opponent outscores us in the 4th 9-2.
Week 5: We enter the 4th Q up 24-3.
We outscore out opponent in the 4th 14-7.
Week 6: We enter the 4th Q up 20-10.
Our opponent outscores us in the 4th 21-13.

So let's see, what kind of patterns are there... first of all, we entered the 4th Q up every game so far.
In fact, we enter the 4th up by an average of 11 points.
There was only 1 game in which we were up by less than a TD.
Don't know if you know this or not, but a LOT of coaches start to play shell or prevent when up by double digits late in the game.

Second, we outscored our opponents 56-54 in the fourth.
Hey, I will be the first to admit that the Ravens really gave us a run for our money in the 4th Q.
Kudos to them (especially since they have scored 21 or more points in the 4th Q multiple times this year - probably not a fluke).
But the point still remains that we always enter the 4th with a lead, and outscore our opponents in the 4th more often than not.

Should we have gone into a shell in the 4th against the Ravens.
In hindsight no.
But we were stopping their offense all game, in fact for the first 1/3 of the 4th as well.
We were up by 17 points in the 4th, I have a hard time faulting them without the benefit of hindsight.

Maybe you don't understand what "objectively" really means.
But keep looking for everything that is wrong if that is what makes you feel better.
If you REALLY want to convince yourself that this 6-0 team is so horrible, be my guest...

BloodyHorns82
10-21-2009, 05:25 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


"fanofteam" wrote:


I'll save my reply for a few weeks.
At this point we have played 3 decent teams and should have lost 2 of the games.

If the Vikes get homefield they will be tough though


"Should have" is subjective.
While I understand what you are saying, what did San Fran or Baltimore do to make them deserve the win so much more?
I don't think they did anything that could make me say that they "should have" won.

In fact, the two games are almost mirror images of each other.
In the San Fran game, both teams played well, and Minnesota was able to march down the field in the final two minutes and win with a last second score.
In the Baltimore game, both teams played well, and Baltimore was able to march down the field but missed a last second score to win.
If Minnesota "should have" lost the San Fran game, then Baltimore "should have" lost too.

A couple of years ago, we were losing a lot of close games.
Now we are a better team, and we are winning the close games.
I don't think that it is fiar to take anything away from what this team has done so far.
Is there room for improvement? Absolutely!
Are we the best team in the NFL right now? Nope, that would be Denver or New Orleans IMHO.
But are we a good team with a better than average chance to win each and every Sunday? Yes we are.
Are we Superbowl Contenders? Yes we are.


Nice post...pretty much how I feel too.
I'd even go one step further to say that there is still room for improvement from the coaching side of the ball...yet with that said they do seem much improved over years past.
I think they are learning from the mistakes they've left on the field.

jmcdon00
10-21-2009, 05:33 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


"fanofteam" wrote:


I'll save my reply for a few weeks.
At this point we have played 3 decent teams and should have lost 2 of the games.

If the Vikes get homefield they will be tough though


"Should have" is subjective.
While I understand what you are saying, what did San Fran or Baltimore do to make them deserve the win so much more?
I don't think they did anything that could make me say that they "should have" won.

In fact, the two games are almost mirror images of each other.
In the San Fran game, both teams played well, and Minnesota was able to march down the field in the final two minutes and win with a last second score.
In the Baltimore game, both teams played well, and Baltimore was able to march down the field but missed a last second score to win.
If Minnesota "should have" lost the San Fran game, then Baltimore "should have" lost too.

A couple of years ago, we were losing a lot of close games.
Now we are a better team, and we are winning the close games.
I don't think that it is fiar to take anything away from what this team has done so far.
Is there room for improvement? Absolutely!
Are we the best team in the NFL right now? Nope, that would be Denver or New Orleans IMHO.
But are we a good team with a better than average chance to win each and every Sunday? Yes we are.
Are we Superbowl Contenders? Yes we are.

I would say this week on the road against the Superbowl champs we probably have a below average chance of winning(less than 50%, atleast according to Vegas).

NodakPaul
10-21-2009, 05:37 PM
"jmcdon00" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


"fanofteam" wrote:


I'll save my reply for a few weeks.
At this point we have played 3 decent teams and should have lost 2 of the games.

If the Vikes get homefield they will be tough though


"Should have" is subjective.
While I understand what you are saying, what did San Fran or Baltimore do to make them deserve the win so much more?
I don't think they did anything that could make me say that they "should have" won.

In fact, the two games are almost mirror images of each other.
In the San Fran game, both teams played well, and Minnesota was able to march down the field in the final two minutes and win with a last second score.
In the Baltimore game, both teams played well, and Baltimore was able to march down the field but missed a last second score to win.
If Minnesota "should have" lost the San Fran game, then Baltimore "should have" lost too.

A couple of years ago, we were losing a lot of close games.
Now we are a better team, and we are winning the close games.
I don't think that it is fiar to take anything away from what this team has done so far.
Is there room for improvement? Absolutely!
Are we the best team in the NFL right now? Nope, that would be Denver or New Orleans IMHO.
But are we a good team with a better than average chance to win each and every Sunday? Yes we are.
Are we Superbowl Contenders? Yes we are.

I would say this week on the road against the Superbowl champs we probably have a below average chance of winning(less than 50%, atleast according to Vegas).



Are they still 4 point favorites?
Haven't checked today.
That is still pretty damn close.
3 points are automatic for home field advantage, so basically the vegas guys are saying Pit is a single point favorite.

We'll see.
I really think that this game should be even odds.
And I really think we are going to win. :)

C Mac D
10-21-2009, 05:43 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


"C" wrote:


Just as it's fact that we give up more yards than any other team in the NFL during the 4th quarter. I guess it's ok to ignore that?

Just sayin'. Some of us just look at the team objectively and not with purple shades all the time... or putting the lyrics to "Welcome to Miami" in their sig...


Also, I like how you're saying we're doing "pretty good" in 4th quarter defense, yet we're 4th from the bottom in the league. How are those purple shades workin' for ya?


Your "fact" about us being 3rd worst in points given up was wrong, I have absolutely no reason to believe that your "fact" about us being last in yardage is correct either.

And we have given up 7, 3, 7, 9, 7, and 21 points in the 4th quarter so far this year.
5 good games, 1 bad game.
Yes, that sounds like we are pretty good to me.
In fact, let's break down all the games so far...

Week 1: We enter the 4th Q up 24-13.
We outscore our opponent in the 4th 10-7.
Week 2: We enter the 4th Q up 17-10.
We outscore our opponent in the 4th 10-3.
Week 3: We enter the 4th Q up 20-17.
We score the same as our opponent in the 4th 7-7.
Week 4: We enter the 4th Q up 28-14.
Our opponent outscores us in the 4th 9-2.
Week 5: We enter the 4th Q up 24-3.
We outscore out opponent in the 4th 14-7.
Week 6: We enter the 4th Q up 20-10.
Our opponent outscores us in the 4th 21-13.

So let's see, what kind of patterns are there... first of all, we entered the 4th Q up every game so far.
In fact, we enter the 4th up by an average of 11 points.
There was only 1 game in which we were up by less than a TD.
Don't know if you know this or not, but a LOT of coaches start to play shell or prevent when up by double digits late in the game.

Second, we outscored our opponents 56-54 in the fourth.
Hey, I will be the first to admit that the Ravens really gave us a run for our money in the 4th Q.
Kudos to them (especially since they have scored 21 or more points in the 4th Q multiple times this year - probably not a fluke).
But the point still remains that we always enter the 4th with a lead, and outscore our opponents in the 4th more often than not.

Should we have gone into a shell in the 4th against the Ravens.
In hindsight no.
But we were stopping their offense all game, in fact for the first 1/3 of the 4th as well.
We were up by 17 points in the 4th, I have a hard time faulting them without the benefit of hindsight.

Maybe you don't understand what "objectively" really means.
But keep looking for everything that is wrong if that is what makes you feel better.
If you REALLY want to convince yourself that this 6-0 team is so horrible, be my guest...


lol... here you go:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_13605831?nclick_check=1


The Vikings have given up more yards in the fourth quarter than any other team — an average of 138.3 per game — and have allowed the third-most points (54).

jmcdon00
10-21-2009, 05:48 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


"jmcdon00" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


"fanofteam" wrote:


I'll save my reply for a few weeks.
At this point we have played 3 decent teams and should have lost 2 of the games.

If the Vikes get homefield they will be tough though


"Should have" is subjective.
While I understand what you are saying, what did San Fran or Baltimore do to make them deserve the win so much more?
I don't think they did anything that could make me say that they "should have" won.

In fact, the two games are almost mirror images of each other.
In the San Fran game, both teams played well, and Minnesota was able to march down the field in the final two minutes and win with a last second score.
In the Baltimore game, both teams played well, and Baltimore was able to march down the field but missed a last second score to win.
If Minnesota "should have" lost the San Fran game, then Baltimore "should have" lost too.

A couple of years ago, we were losing a lot of close games.
Now we are a better team, and we are winning the close games.
I don't think that it is fiar to take anything away from what this team has done so far.
Is there room for improvement? Absolutely!
Are we the best team in the NFL right now? Nope, that would be Denver or New Orleans IMHO.
But are we a good team with a better than average chance to win each and every Sunday? Yes we are.
Are we Superbowl Contenders? Yes we are.

I would say this week on the road against the Superbowl champs we probably have a below average chance of winning(less than 50%, atleast according to Vegas).



Are they still 4 point favorites?
Haven't checked today.
That is still pretty gol 'darnit close.
3 points are automatic for home field advantage, so basically the vegas guys are saying Pit is a single point favorite.

We'll see.
I really think that this game should be even odds.
And I really think we are going to win. :)

I hope your right.
I'm trying not to get over confident. The offense has been great but the defense has been suspect. We havn't beaten anyone on the road yet(Browns, Lions, Rams), though we havn't lost on the road either. The 3 point home favorite is legit because more often then not the home team wins, just look at the vikings past home and road records.

fanofteam
10-21-2009, 06:16 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


"fanofteam" wrote:


I'll save my reply for a few weeks.
At this point we have played 3 decent teams and should have lost 2 of the games.

If the Vikes get homefield they will be tough though


"Should have" is subjective.
While I understand what you are saying, what did San Fran or Baltimore do to make them deserve the win so much more?





Well if not for a hail Mary pass and an fairly easy field goal ( inside) we are 4 - 2.
Take into account SF played without Gore that game and both games were at home and it seems even more likely we would be 4 -2

Baltimore is the only team we have played so far that will probablly make the playoffs and thta is no lock.


The fact is the soft schedule they have this season is going to make it very difficult to judge how goor this team is

C Mac D
10-21-2009, 06:21 PM
"fanofteam" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


"fanofteam" wrote:


I'll save my reply for a few weeks.
At this point we have played 3 decent teams and should have lost 2 of the games.

If the Vikes get homefield they will be tough though


"Should have" is subjective.
While I understand what you are saying, what did San Fran or Baltimore do to make them deserve the win so much more?





Well if not for a hail Mary pass and an fairly easy field goal ( inside) we are 4 - 2.
Take into account SF played without Al Gore that game and both games were at home and it seems even more likely we would be 4 -2

Baltimore is the only team we have played so far that will probbaly make the playoffs.




It's very probable that we could be 4-2... I agree with you.

If we were to play the Patriots or the Colts and win, I'd be much more comfortable than barely squeaking by the 49ers and Ravens. Personally, I think our secondary will get torn up the remainder of the season, whether or not Winfield is in there. Our defense is average at best this season.

It's tough to discuss realistically on this forum without being attacked, however. Glad to see you have a rational view of how good our team is and not just wearing purple shades.

I just hope the team tightens up and plays better all 4 quarters.

fanofteam
10-21-2009, 06:26 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:





Are they still 4 point favorites?
Haven't checked today.
That is still pretty gol 'darnit close.
3 points are automatic for home field advantage, so basically the vegas guys are saying Pit is a single point favorite.

We'll see.
I really think that this game should be even odds.
And I really think we are going to win. :)


It's kind of strange that the line opened at 4 and is still at 4 with Winfield out

BloodyHorns82
10-21-2009, 06:46 PM
"fanofteam" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:





Are they still 4 point favorites?
Haven't checked today.
That is still pretty gol 'darnit close.
3 points are automatic for home field advantage, so basically the vegas guys are saying Pit is a single point favorite.

We'll see.
I really think that this game should be even odds.
And I really think we are going to win. :)


It's kind of strange that the line opened at 4 and is still at 4 with Winfield out


I don't think it will officially change until he is officially listed as doubtful on tomorrow's report.

fanofteam
10-21-2009, 07:05 PM
"BloodyHorns82" wrote:


"fanofteam" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:





Are they still 4 point favorites?
Haven't checked today.
That is still pretty gol 'darnit close.
3 points are automatic for home field advantage, so basically the vegas guys are saying Pit is a single point favorite.

We'll see.
I really think that this game should be even odds.
And I really think we are going to win. :)


It's kind of strange that the line opened at 4 and is still at 4 with Winfield out


I don't think it will officially change until he is officially listed as doubtful on tomorrow's report.



Vegas doesn't wait for stuff like that,


Either they put him being out in the original line or don't think it will make much of a difference.


Millions are bet before Sunday and alot of action goes down right when the spread comes out

Marrdro
10-22-2009, 12:50 AM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:


"i_bleed_purple" wrote:


"Zeus" wrote:


"i_bleed_purple" wrote:


"Marrdro" wrote:


Thanks for the well thought out and crafted post.

Quick question not only for you but for all the rest of PPO........
How much longer will it take for this team to be considered as no longer "a work in progress", "developing", "gelling", "meshing together"?


when we're no longer last in yards against on defense and 5th last in points against.


Since neither of those are true, I guess the answer is "now".

Vikings are 18th in Yards/Game 341.8/game and 18th in points allowed/game at 20.2/game.

=Z=


well who the hell told me otherwise?
I just copied that from another thread.
That will teach me to believe what people here say.


I wouldn't trust anything people say here.


...especially Zeus.

Only cat you should trust, when stats are used, is Marrdro.
He can twist em to say whatever he wants them to say.

Marrdro
10-22-2009, 12:54 AM
"oaklandzoo24" wrote:


I love halftime speeches and actually think they are very important for teams.
Motivational speakers should be brought in for the vikes at halftime because halftime speeches can have a huge impact on momentum.
I know alot of you think about as Pros these guys should be able to motivate themselves which is true.
But as a former football player and those of you who also were, I think we can all agree that halftime speeches can really have a a huge impact.
I remember one game we were down by 21 or something like that at half and a coach gave us this crazy speech about a small linebacker who absolutely took over a goalline stand telling the QB and RB to run it right at him and he stuffed them single handedly 4x.
The way he told it was so motivating and we all came out of the tunnel with a fire lit up under our dimply buttocks and came away with a 3 point victory.

My High School Coach was a great motivator.

His half time speaches were kindof along the lines of, "10 Gasers and 10 laps for each point you loose by".
Thats why I Love the Rah Rah kindof shit.
;D

NodakPaul
10-22-2009, 08:57 AM
"C" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


"C" wrote:


Just as it's fact that we give up more yards than any other team in the NFL during the 4th quarter. I guess it's ok to ignore that?

Just sayin'. Some of us just look at the team objectively and not with purple shades all the time... or putting the lyrics to "Welcome to Miami" in their sig...


Also, I like how you're saying we're doing "pretty good" in 4th quarter defense, yet we're 4th from the bottom in the league. How are those purple shades workin' for ya?


Your "fact" about us being 3rd worst in points given up was wrong, I have absolutely no reason to believe that your "fact" about us being last in yardage is correct either.

And we have given up 7, 3, 7, 9, 7, and 21 points in the 4th quarter so far this year.
5 good games, 1 bad game.
Yes, that sounds like we are pretty good to me.
In fact, let's break down all the games so far...

Week 1: We enter the 4th Q up 24-13.
We outscore our opponent in the 4th 10-7.
Week 2: We enter the 4th Q up 17-10.
We outscore our opponent in the 4th 10-3.
Week 3: We enter the 4th Q up 20-17.
We score the same as our opponent in the 4th 7-7.
Week 4: We enter the 4th Q up 28-14.
Our opponent outscores us in the 4th 9-2.
Week 5: We enter the 4th Q up 24-3.
We outscore out opponent in the 4th 14-7.
Week 6: We enter the 4th Q up 20-10.
Our opponent outscores us in the 4th 21-13.

So let's see, what kind of patterns are there... first of all, we entered the 4th Q up every game so far.
In fact, we enter the 4th up by an average of 11 points.
There was only 1 game in which we were up by less than a TD.
Don't know if you know this or not, but a LOT of coaches start to play shell or prevent when up by double digits late in the game.

Second, we outscored our opponents 56-54 in the fourth.
Hey, I will be the first to admit that the Ravens really gave us a run for our money in the 4th Q.
Kudos to them (especially since they have scored 21 or more points in the 4th Q multiple times this year - probably not a fluke).
But the point still remains that we always enter the 4th with a lead, and outscore our opponents in the 4th more often than not.

Should we have gone into a shell in the 4th against the Ravens.
In hindsight no.
But we were stopping their offense all game, in fact for the first 1/3 of the 4th as well.
We were up by 17 points in the 4th, I have a hard time faulting them without the benefit of hindsight.

Maybe you don't understand what "objectively" really means.
But keep looking for everything that is wrong if that is what makes you feel better.
If you REALLY want to convince yourself that this 6-0 team is so horrible, be my guest...


lol... here you go:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_13605831?nclick_check=1


The Vikings have given up more yards in the fourth quarter than any other team — an average of 138.3 per game — and have allowed the third-most points (54).


Awesome.
You gave us a broken link and incorrect stats.
Way to go.
Here is the correct link BTW, http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_13605831

I actually think that you are probably right in saying that the Vikings give up the most yards per game in the 4th.
My point was that your source is not credible, and like usual you don't bother checking facts before you post them.
If they support your belief, then you just run with it, and never never never admit when you are wrong.
Jensen made the same mistake you did - looking at stats without context and trying to manufacture meaning for them.

I love the fact that you are stuck on the Vikings allowing the third-most points in the 4th.
Especially when that doesn't take into account the fact that the Vikings have played 6 games to many teams 5...
It also doesn't take into account the fact that the Vikings usually have a double digit lead in the 4th.
It also doesn't take into account the fact that the Vikings are still 6-0.

But hey, that's OK.
Keep on preaching about how horrible our coach is and how everybody attacks you for being so "objective" and how you are never wrong...

C Mac D
10-22-2009, 09:01 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:


"C" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


"C" wrote:


Just as it's fact that we give up more yards than any other team in the NFL during the 4th quarter. I guess it's ok to ignore that?

Just sayin'. Some of us just look at the team objectively and not with purple shades all the time... or putting the lyrics to "Welcome to Miami" in their sig...


Also, I like how you're saying we're doing "pretty good" in 4th quarter defense, yet we're 4th from the bottom in the league. How are those purple shades workin' for ya?


Your "fact" about us being 3rd worst in points given up was wrong, I have absolutely no reason to believe that your "fact" about us being last in yardage is correct either.

And we have given up 7, 3, 7, 9, 7, and 21 points in the 4th quarter so far this year.
5 good games, 1 bad game.
Yes, that sounds like we are pretty good to me.
In fact, let's break down all the games so far...

Week 1: We enter the 4th Q up 24-13.
We outscore our opponent in the 4th 10-7.
Week 2: We enter the 4th Q up 17-10.
We outscore our opponent in the 4th 10-3.
Week 3: We enter the 4th Q up 20-17.
We score the same as our opponent in the 4th 7-7.
Week 4: We enter the 4th Q up 28-14.
Our opponent outscores us in the 4th 9-2.
Week 5: We enter the 4th Q up 24-3.
We outscore out opponent in the 4th 14-7.
Week 6: We enter the 4th Q up 20-10.
Our opponent outscores us in the 4th 21-13.

So let's see, what kind of patterns are there... first of all, we entered the 4th Q up every game so far.
In fact, we enter the 4th up by an average of 11 points.
There was only 1 game in which we were up by less than a TD.
Don't know if you know this or not, but a LOT of coaches start to play shell or prevent when up by double digits late in the game.

Second, we outscored our opponents 56-54 in the fourth.
Hey, I will be the first to admit that the Ravens really gave us a run for our money in the 4th Q.
Kudos to them (especially since they have scored 21 or more points in the 4th Q multiple times this year - probably not a fluke).
But the point still remains that we always enter the 4th with a lead, and outscore our opponents in the 4th more often than not.

Should we have gone into a shell in the 4th against the Ravens.
In hindsight no.
But we were stopping their offense all game, in fact for the first 1/3 of the 4th as well.
We were up by 17 points in the 4th, I have a hard time faulting them without the benefit of hindsight.

Maybe you don't understand what "objectively" really means.
But keep looking for everything that is wrong if that is what makes you feel better.
If you REALLY want to convince yourself that this 6-0 team is so horrible, be my guest...


lol... here you go:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_13605831?nclick_check=1


The Vikings have given up more yards in the fourth quarter than any other team — an average of 138.3 per game — and have allowed the third-most points (54).


Awesome.
You gave us a broken link and incorrect stats.
Way to go.
Here is the correct link BTW, http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_13605831

I actually think that you are probably right in saying that the Vikings give up the most yards per game in the 4th.
My point was that your source is not credible, and like usual you don't bother checking facts before you post them.
If they support your belief, then you just run with it, and never never never admit when you are wrong.
Jensen made the same mistake you did - looking at stats without context and trying to manufacture meaning for them.

I love the fact that you are stuck on the Vikings allowing the third-most points in the 4th.
Especially when that doesn't take into account the fact that the Vikings have played 6 games to many teams 5...
It also doesn't take into account the fact that the Vikings usually have a double digit lead in the 4th.
It also doesn't take into account the fact that the Vikings are still 6-0.

But hey, that's OK.
Keep on preaching about how horrible our coach is and how everybody attacks you for being so "objective" and how you are never wrong...


Nope, link works for me.

And playing poorly in the 4th might be OK for you, but we won't get far against teams like the Saints or Colts.

ejmat
10-22-2009, 09:05 AM
"C" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


"C" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


"C" wrote:


Just as it's fact that we give up more yards than any other team in the NFL during the 4th quarter. I guess it's ok to ignore that?

Just sayin'. Some of us just look at the team objectively and not with purple shades all the time... or putting the lyrics to "Welcome to Miami" in their sig...


Also, I like how you're saying we're doing "pretty good" in 4th quarter defense, yet we're 4th from the bottom in the league. How are those purple shades workin' for ya?


Your "fact" about us being 3rd worst in points given up was wrong, I have absolutely no reason to believe that your "fact" about us being last in yardage is correct either.

And we have given up 7, 3, 7, 9, 7, and 21 points in the 4th quarter so far this year.
5 good games, 1 bad game.
Yes, that sounds like we are pretty good to me.
In fact, let's break down all the games so far...

Week 1: We enter the 4th Q up 24-13.
We outscore our opponent in the 4th 10-7.
Week 2: We enter the 4th Q up 17-10.
We outscore our opponent in the 4th 10-3.
Week 3: We enter the 4th Q up 20-17.
We score the same as our opponent in the 4th 7-7.
Week 4: We enter the 4th Q up 28-14.
Our opponent outscores us in the 4th 9-2.
Week 5: We enter the 4th Q up 24-3.
We outscore out opponent in the 4th 14-7.
Week 6: We enter the 4th Q up 20-10.
Our opponent outscores us in the 4th 21-13.

So let's see, what kind of patterns are there... first of all, we entered the 4th Q up every game so far.
In fact, we enter the 4th up by an average of 11 points.
There was only 1 game in which we were up by less than a TD.
Don't know if you know this or not, but a LOT of coaches start to play shell or prevent when up by double digits late in the game.

Second, we outscored our opponents 56-54 in the fourth.
Hey, I will be the first to admit that the Ravens really gave us a run for our money in the 4th Q.
Kudos to them (especially since they have scored 21 or more points in the 4th Q multiple times this year - probably not a fluke).
But the point still remains that we always enter the 4th with a lead, and outscore our opponents in the 4th more often than not.

Should we have gone into a shell in the 4th against the Ravens.
In hindsight no.
But we were stopping their offense all game, in fact for the first 1/3 of the 4th as well.
We were up by 17 points in the 4th, I have a hard time faulting them without the benefit of hindsight.

Maybe you don't understand what "objectively" really means.
But keep looking for everything that is wrong if that is what makes you feel better.
If you REALLY want to convince yourself that this 6-0 team is so horrible, be my guest...


lol... here you go:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_13605831?nclick_check=1


The Vikings have given up more yards in the fourth quarter than any other team — an average of 138.3 per game — and have allowed the third-most points (54).


Awesome.
You gave us a broken link and incorrect stats.
Way to go.
Here is the correct link BTW, http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_13605831

I actually think that you are probably right in saying that the Vikings give up the most yards per game in the 4th.
My point was that your source is not credible, and like usual you don't bother checking facts before you post them.
If they support your belief, then you just run with it, and never never never admit when you are wrong.
Jensen made the same mistake you did - looking at stats without context and trying to manufacture meaning for them.

I love the fact that you are stuck on the Vikings allowing the third-most points in the 4th.
Especially when that doesn't take into account the fact that the Vikings have played 6 games to many teams 5...
It also doesn't take into account the fact that the Vikings usually have a double digit lead in the 4th.
It also doesn't take into account the fact that the Vikings are still 6-0.

But hey, that's OK.
Keep on preaching about how horrible our coach is and how everybody attacks you for being so "objective" and how you are never wrong...


Nope, link works for me.

And playing poorly in the 4th might be OK for you, but we won't get far against teams like the Saints or Colts.


A coaching thing?
Wow.
How difficult is it to understand that coaches game plan and teach?
Players learn and execute.
The players are not executing.
The game plans have been just fine.

C Mac D
10-22-2009, 09:08 AM
"ejmat" wrote:


"C" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:


"C" wrote:


"NodakPaul" wrote:




Just as it's fact that we give up more yards than any other team in the NFL during the 4th quarter. I guess it's ok to ignore that?

Just sayin'. Some of us just look at the team objectively and not with purple shades all the time... or putting the lyrics to "Welcome to Miami" in their sig...


Also, I like how you're saying we're doing "pretty good" in 4th quarter defense, yet we're 4th from the bottom in the league. How are those purple shades workin' for ya?


Your "fact" about us being 3rd worst in points given up was wrong, I have absolutely no reason to believe that your "fact" about us being last in yardage is correct either.

And we have given up 7, 3, 7, 9, 7, and 21 points in the 4th quarter so far this year.
5 good games, 1 bad game.
Yes, that sounds like we are pretty good to me.
In fact, let's break down all the games so far...

Week 1: We enter the 4th Q up 24-13.
We outscore our opponent in the 4th 10-7.
Week 2: We enter the 4th Q up 17-10.
We outscore our opponent in the 4th 10-3.
Week 3: We enter the 4th Q up 20-17.
We score the same as our opponent in the 4th 7-7.
Week 4: We enter the 4th Q up 28-14.
Our opponent outscores us in the 4th 9-2.
Week 5: We enter the 4th Q up 24-3.
We outscore out opponent in the 4th 14-7.
Week 6: We enter the 4th Q up 20-10.
Our opponent outscores us in the 4th 21-13.

So let's see, what kind of patterns are there... first of all, we entered the 4th Q up every game so far.
In fact, we enter the 4th up by an average of 11 points.
There was only 1 game in which we were up by less than a TD.
Don't know if you know this or not, but a LOT of coaches start to play shell or prevent when up by double digits late in the game.

Second, we outscored our opponents 56-54 in the fourth.
Hey, I will be the first to admit that the Ravens really gave us a run for our money in the 4th Q.
Kudos to them (especially since they have scored 21 or more points in the 4th Q multiple times this year - probably not a fluke).
But the point still remains that we always enter the 4th with a lead, and outscore our opponents in the 4th more often than not.

Should we have gone into a shell in the 4th against the Ravens.
In hindsight no.
But we were stopping their offense all game, in fact for the first 1/3 of the 4th as well.
We were up by 17 points in the 4th, I have a hard time faulting them without the benefit of hindsight.

Maybe you don't understand what "objectively" really means.
But keep looking for everything that is wrong if that is what makes you feel better.
If you REALLY want to convince yourself that this 6-0 team is so horrible, be my guest...


lol... here you go:

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_13605831?nclick_check=1


The Vikings have given up more yards in the fourth quarter than any other team — an average of 138.3 per game — and have allowed the third-most points (54).


Awesome.
You gave us a broken link and incorrect stats.
Way to go.
Here is the correct link BTW, http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_13605831

I actually think that you are probably right in saying that the Vikings give up the most yards per game in the 4th.
My point was that your source is not credible, and like usual you don't bother checking facts before you post them.
If they support your belief, then you just run with it, and never never never admit when you are wrong.
Jensen made the same mistake you did - looking at stats without context and trying to manufacture meaning for them.

I love the fact that you are stuck on the Vikings allowing the third-most points in the 4th.
Especially when that doesn't take into account the fact that the Vikings have played 6 games to many teams 5...
It also doesn't take into account the fact that the Vikings usually have a double digit lead in the 4th.
It also doesn't take into account the fact that the Vikings are still 6-0.

But hey, that's OK.
Keep on preaching about how horrible our coach is and how everybody attacks you for being so "objective" and how you are never wrong...


Nope, link works for me.

And playing poorly in the 4th might be OK for you, but we won't get far against teams like the Saints or Colts.


A coaching thing?
Wow.
How difficult is it to understand that coaches game plan and teach?
Players learn and execute.
The players are not executing.
The game plans have been just fine.


Actually, no. You're not reading the article.

The article clearly states that we play more of a coverage defense in the 4th quarter and backoff the pass rush, depending primarily on our front four to create their own.


Based on the offensive and defensive play calls, the Vikings become more conservative in the fourth quarter, focusing more on routine runs and scaling back on blitzes of linebackers and defensive backs.

"Fortunately, we have a good cushion in the fourth quarter, and you don't have to be as aggressive," Leber said. "We're counting on our front four to get pressure, and we're dropping back and keeping everything in front of us.

"That's the theory."

The Denver Broncos, the other 6-0 team in the NFL, deviate from that strategy. They have allowed a league-low seven points in the fourth quarter. In fact, Denver continued to blitz San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers with less than three minutes remaining during its 34-23 win Monday night.

I would imagine that's the coach's decision.

NodakPaul
10-22-2009, 09:18 AM
"C" wrote:


Actually, no. You're not reading the article.

The article clearly states that we play more of a coverage defense in the 4th quarter and backoff the pass rush, depending primarily on our front four to create their own.


Based on the offensive and defensive play calls, the Vikings become more conservative in the fourth quarter, focusing more on routine runs and scaling back on blitzes of linebackers and defensive backs.

"Fortunately, we have a good cushion in the fourth quarter, and you don't have to be as aggressive," Leber said. "We're counting on our front four to get pressure, and we're dropping back and keeping everything in front of us.

"That's the theory."

The Denver Broncos, the other 6-0 team in the NFL, deviate from that strategy. They have allowed a league-low seven points in the fourth quarter. In fact, Denver continued to blitz San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers with less than three minutes remaining during its 34-23 win Monday night.

I would imagine that's the coach's decision.


Now that I can agree with.
I don't like the shell or prevent defenses.
Never have.
I would much rather we continue to be aggressive through the 4th.
In the first five games, the conservative defense worked - holding our opponents to less than a TD on average.
In the sixth game it didn't.
Hopefully we take something away from that.
When facing a team who has proven that it has a lot of offense in the 4th, don't move to a conservative D.

My main contention is that the Vikings are not playing poorly in the 4th Q as the original article would lead us to believe.
They played poorly in the 4th Q against Baltimore, letting them mount a helluva comeback.
But one game does not define a season, and it is too early IMHO to start preaching doom and gloom.

snowinapril
10-22-2009, 04:54 PM
"echizen20" wrote:


Hello everyone, I just thought I'd like to say whats on my mind about how I feel about this Vikings team.
You may or may not agree with some of the things i'll say but it's all just a matter of opinion right? ;)

Right now based on the Vikings record and how they are playing, I will say they are a lock on the NFC North champs.
I just don't see the other 3 teams in our division better than us at this point.
I don't see us playing worse during the 2nd half of the season either.
I think the only thing that will hold us back or not playing at our full potential is if we lose several playmakers to injuries.
Other than that, I see every team ahead in the schedule beatable, some tougher than others obviously but winnable considering the amount of talent we have.


Right now, I don't see any team in the NFL that can flat out stop our offense both running and passing.
While I don't want to say that we have an unstoppable pass or run game, I will say that to this point we have shown and proven that we can run and pass both very effectively.
We are basically very balanced, probably the most balanced offense in the NFL.
This means that teams are going to have to be very careful game planning against us.
We all know that if they put 8 or more men in the box and if Favre really favors the matchups that he sees on the field, he can audible and make something happen downfield, he has shown that already.
And with AD lined up behind him, teams just seemingly have to always watch out for him.
Seriously teams just can't play us and be too focused on stopping Peterson or backing out into coverages.
And if they just leave 7 in the box and are playing both the run and pass, we still have the advantage.
Just look at how the Ravens played us, they pretty much played to stop AP, Favre burnt them downfield, they backed off, Peterson started getting big runs...and the Ravens were supposed to be our first real test for our offense.
It's like what the experts are saying, they have to pick their poison.
If the offense stays healthy, this team can easily put up minimum 20+(30 average) a game.
I think its safe to say the Saints and maybe the Colts have a little more firepower than us but our team will be the harder one to gameplan against because we are so versatile.
And come Playoff-Superbowl time, when it matters that you have to be able to Run and Pass, our team can certainly do both very well.

Offensively I think we have established our Identity and that is, as i said earlier, we are a very good and balanced offense and we're still improving.
I say that because I totally agree with Favre and I see all the talent as a whole.
Our Identity on the defense...I'm going to say we haven't really put a print on it yet.
Just because we haven't shown consistency, we play very well and then end up playing sloppy or viceversa, but what i do know is, like our offense, we have the playmakers and we have the talent.
I still have yet to see a complete game and consistency from the defense and to see if they can carry that consistency from game to game.
But consistent or not, the defense has played good enough that when the game is over, the points on our side of the scoreboard is > the opponents.
And in the end, thats all that matters.
You move on, you work, you practice, you study, you improve, and then when gameday comes, you play and you play to win.
I'm not saying we dont have any weaknesses, heck you can't look at the other 31 teams in the NFL and say they don't have weaknesses either, but wins and losses aren't just because of teams own strengths or weaknesses.
You have to believe wins and losses are resulted by many things, luck, passion, effort, talent, play calling, and most importantly teamwork.
And the Vikings have certainly displayed all of that for the most part.


If you look at our team on paper...and look at some of the players we have on the team...and you watch how we have played...and you look at the stats...and you look at our undefeated 6-0 record, we are one of the best teams right now in the NFL.
Some may argue that we're not the best team in the NFL and that we're only lucky, well even I believe right now we are not the best team in the NFL. But it isn't the best team that always wins games.
Its the team that by the end of the day has more points.
And best team or not, i have confidence we can beat anybody.
I'm sure the Vikings Locker room feel the same way.
Well this is what I truly feel about this team and as a big Brett Favre and AD fan, i just gotta believe this has to be the year for them to win the championship.
I realize in the end it may not turn out the way i hope it to, but so far all my expectations have been exceeded of the team and I'm fully enjoying watching this team play week after week, afterall we do have the two most exciting players to watch in the NFL.



Bump......


Here is the Title:
My Assessment and Feelings about the Vikings and where they rank in the NFL

echizen20 put a lot of effort into starting this thread.
If you want to talk about specific happening of the Ravens game, please go to the Official Ravens Postgame Thread.
If you are looking for a post you thought was in this thread, this thread was split and you may find it in the Postgame Thread.
Sorry for the confusion.
http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php/topic,53725.msg1008157/topicseen.html#new