PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL RAMS vs VIKES POSTGAME THREAD

ultravikingfan
10-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Not the best game at times, but every team is going to hit a few bumps in the road.

Props to Brett making some killer passes.

Props to JA....again.

The Rams are who we thought they were...terrible!

The Defense did a great job creating turnovers.
And Boller too.
Thanks for the fumble!
You win the turnover battle, you most likely win the game.

Good job Chiller and the rest of the coaches.

Thumbs up:
Defense
Chiller
Sapp
TJ
Allen
Favre
Rice
Shank
Greenway
Harv
Longwell
EJ
Ced
AD
CT
T-Jack

SharperImage
10-11-2009, 02:57 PM
cant play like this against the Ravens, WE NEED TO RUN...AD hasn't had 100 yards since week 1...thats not good. We need AD to show up.

gregair13
10-11-2009, 02:57 PM
It was a cake walk. I liked the three big plays Sapp made. Really, everyone was pretty good.

Move on to next week already

Marrdro
10-11-2009, 02:59 PM
I honestly can't remember a time when I watched a Vikes game and wasn't nervous.
Defense let them move the ball way to much but hey, if they keep getting turnovers in the red zone, its almost like we are letting the opposing team burn the clock for us.

Loved all the early rotations (throughout the whole game) as well as gettting the backups in midway through the 4th.

Not much to hack on, hell, even the fan favorite Tahi had a career day. ;D

SharperImage
10-11-2009, 03:02 PM
if we can't run on the Rams, we ain't running on the Ravens... Poor Brett favre, he gonna get killed by blitzing next sunday.

ultravikingfan
10-11-2009, 03:04 PM
"SharperImage" wrote:

if we can't run on the Rams, we ain't running on the Ravens... Poor Brett favre, he gonna get killed by blitzing next sunday.

Ask Carson Palmer and the Bengals.

realviking
10-11-2009, 03:13 PM
I heard something while watching the game that I'd never thought I'd hear again.
The color guy described our offense as explosive.

i_bleed_purple
10-11-2009, 03:24 PM
"SharperImage" wrote:

its not that we can't run on the rams, we aren't even trying.
Peterson had 16 carries for 69 yards, 4.6 average.
Thats not bad, but we all know Peterson is at his best late in the game when the defense is worn down.
So far, with the exception of the Browns game, we havne't given him enough balls.

Pass Blocking - seems to be much improved from the first bunch of games
Harvin/Rice - made some good catches, but if Harvin had caught that long ball, he'd have topped 100 yards
Passing game in general - Favre made some great throws, a boneheaded throws and avoided pressure pretty well.
Another good game by him.
Jared Allen... Overpaid?

Needs Work:
Defense - all aspects.
Didn't get a whole lot of pressure, let up alot of yards.
Made some good stands in the redzone and on fourth down.
Jared Allen, despite having no sacks still came to play.
Pass Defense needs work, Missed tackles all over the place, soft coverage, sometimes no coverage.
That late TD came on Paymah, so I'm not too concerned about it.
Jackson had a good game on us.

HEY
10-11-2009, 03:27 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"SharperImage" wrote:

Ask Carson Palmer and the Bengals.

Exactly, Cedric Benson got 120 yards with a 4.4 average.
Remember, the Ravens aren't the best run stoppers in the league.
Plus, I wouldn't say that "we can't run on the Rams". It's not Adrian Peterson's fault that he didn't get the rock more, he didn't need to.
Besides, he still got an average of 4.6 yards per carry, with 2 TD's. Chester Taylor even got a rushing TD.

UPDATE: I see that i_bleed_purple has pretty much the same opinion.

gregair13
10-11-2009, 03:31 PM
If the Bengals can beat the ravens, so can we

HEY
10-11-2009, 03:35 PM
I just read an interesting fact on NFL.com.
Brett Favre is 5-0 for the first time in his career.
Take that Green Bay!
Brett Favre couldn't do that untill he was in his 40's and playing for the Vikings for his first season.
I love this season!
;D

V4L
10-11-2009, 03:38 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"SharperImage" wrote:

Thats not bad, but we all know Peterson is at his best late in the game when the defense is worn down.
So far, with the exception of the Browns game, we havne't given him enough balls.

Harvin/Rice - made some good catches, but if Harvin had caught that long ball, he'd have topped 100 yards
Passing game in general - Favre made some great throws, a boneheaded throws and avoided pressure pretty well.
Jared Allen... Overpaid?

Needs Work:
Defense - all aspects.
Pass Defense needs work, Missed tackles all over the place, soft coverage, sometimes no coverage.

Adrian was leading the league in carries up until this week....

2 weeks in a row he was stopped for 1-2 yards and an occasional 15 yarder to make it look a little better

Sharper is right.. We need to work on this.. No run blocking what so ever

V4L
10-11-2009, 03:48 PM
Is it just me but was Cedric missed a TON of tackles.. Atleast early on

He ended with 6-1

But I swear I saw 3 missed tackles in the first half

Purplemania
10-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Our running game is off right now, but it will come back. Trust me. Right now teams are MAKING us beat them through the air, which Farve is doing effectively. In the past we would keep on forcing AD even though teams stacked up the box and even if AD had been unsucessfull all day. Eventually then he would break a long one. At the moment, we don't need to force AD if we can throw the ball. AD will get back on track soon enough!

Also, I don't care that Sharper is returning INT for TD's, Tyrell is looking damn good and had a solid game. He's a freakish athlete and will only get better!

V4L
10-11-2009, 03:56 PM
"Purplemania" wrote:

Our running game is off right now, but it will come back. Trust me. Right now teams are MAKING us beat them through the air, which Farve is doing effectively. In the past we would keep on forcing AD even though teams stacked up the box and even if AD had been unsucessfull all day. Eventually then he would break a long one. At the moment, we don't need to force AD if we can throw the ball. AD will get back on track soon enough!

Also, I don't care that Sharper is returning INT for TD's, Tyrell is looking damn good and had a solid game. He's a freakish athlete and will only get better!

I gotta disagree

Saw him whiff 2 tackles

Miss one atleast 1 or 2 decent gains

And got one lucky pick where he took ONE step forward and jumped in the air

Tyrell is learning.. But damn he is not good

MaxVike
10-11-2009, 04:05 PM
"HEY" wrote:

Take that Green Bay!
Brett Favre couldn't do that untill he was in his 40's and playing for the Vikings for his first season.
I love this season!
;D

Love that point.
We'll see what we got the next three, to be sure.

NordicNed
10-11-2009, 04:13 PM
"V4L" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"SharperImage" wrote:

Jared Allen... Overpaid?

Needs Work:
Defense - all aspects.

2 weeks in a row he was stopped for 1-2 yards and an occasional 15 yarder to make it look a little better

I think it has to do with more the fact that the 49ers and Rams both have solid D lines and LB's..... No one wants to admit that they are just good against the run.

V4L
10-11-2009, 04:13 PM
Props

BENNY SAPP
brett
Sid
Percy
AP/Chester
Madieu
Hutch
Jackson
Williams
Allen
Some of the underrated STs players

Down game:
Cedric
Hicks
Big Mac
Pat Williams (one lucky forced fumble)
Tyrell (One lucky pick where he took one step and leaped, did like his pass break up tho)
Leber

Others were basically neuteral

But this game acutally was not how the score appeared.. Rams were out gaining us in the first half.. Jackson with the lucky fumble on the goalline.. Boller just losing control of one for a TD doesn't ever really happen.. And the FB or TE on the goalline really shouldn't have dropped that

Easily could have been a close game had they not made these mistakes

V4L
10-11-2009, 04:15 PM
"NordicNed" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"SharperImage" wrote:

Jared Allen... Overpaid?

Needs Work:
Defense - all aspects.

I think it has to do with more the fact that the 49ers and Rams both have solid D lines and LB's..... No one wants to admit that they are just good against the run.

I admit 9ers are good up front

But Rams? Come on now

Chris Long is thier only above average player in the front 7

No way we couldn't have blocked them

We were playing against a couple 3rd stringers for a bit as well

Unacceptable if we wanna run against a team like the Ravens

Dekay
10-11-2009, 04:16 PM
Good win, well a win is good but I wouldn't say we played very well. I still think the run blocking doesn't exist and opposing teams can concentrate on containing on the perimeter, thus making those tackles for a loss or no gain on AD on the outside. Ive seen this more and more from the sanfran game and forward.

I for one wasn't the least nervous going into this game, and I think we got away a bit easy, getting those turnovers in the redzone. I usually don't play the "what if" game but coming to think about it they piled up a lot of yardage on us. And it could have been a completely different ballgame.

I lacked a passrush too. It just wasn't there.

V4L
10-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Not trying to be negative one bit.. Super stoked we are 5-0

But honestly we have played the Rams.. Browns.. Packers.. Etc

We have alot of work to actually be a legit SB contender

Otherwise it's a first round exit or lucky win in the playoffs

V4L
10-11-2009, 04:19 PM
Zero pass rush

No run blocking

Pass blocking is improving

Run stopping is even slacking a bit this year, still good but not as stout as usual

We need to shore things up in the trenches alot

Dekay
10-11-2009, 04:21 PM
Being at 4-0 was having us at 83% going into the playoffs.

So anyone who knows how fat chance there is that we go into the playoffs now when we are 5-0? Any stats nerds out there?!

oaklandzoo24
10-11-2009, 04:44 PM
"Dekay" wrote:

So anyone who knows how fat chance there is that we go into the playoffs now when we are 5-0? Any stats nerds out there?!

I believe it means were going to playoffs end of story.
We aint missing nuthin this year.

HEY
10-11-2009, 04:50 PM
"oaklandzoo24" wrote:

"Dekay" wrote:

I believe it means were going to playoffs end of story.
We aint missing nuthin this year.

I second that.
Vikings are going to make tha playoffs. We could make the playoffs without Favre or Adrian Peterson, but not without both of 'em, IMO.

V4L
10-11-2009, 04:54 PM
No one gonna comment on the facts I posted?

Johnson14
10-11-2009, 05:05 PM
"V4L" wrote:

I agree that the schedule has been kind, but the two tests we've had to date (Puckers & 49ers) we've won both.

By no means the finished article and i wouldnt expect anyone to be getting carried away but anyone can see we are getting there. Rice looks like he is now a legitimate receiver, Shiancoe proving to be one of the safest pair of hands at the TE spot (never thought id be saying that when he first showed up! lol).

The next run of games will be key and show where we are at.

I'm happy with a comortable win where we never really got out of first gear
8)

gregair13
10-11-2009, 05:09 PM
"Johnson14" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

I agree that the schedule has been kind, but the two tests we've had to date (Puckers & 49ers) we've won both.

By no means the finished article and i wouldnt expect anyone to be getting carried away but anyone can see we are getting there. Rice looks like he is now a legitimate receiver, Shiancoe proving to be one of the safest pair of hands at the TE spot (never thought id be saying that when he first showed up! lol).

The next run of games will be key and show where we are at.

I'm happy with a comortable win where we never really got out of first gear
8)

Good team beat bad teams. That is why we are 5-0 and the rest of those teams are not.

Ravens will be a true test. They are going to be hella mad after losing the game this week. Lewis vs AP should be fun. Favre vs Reed should be great. Lets see what we got.

VikingMike
10-11-2009, 05:13 PM
"V4L" wrote:

The only thing I'm a little concerned about is the run blocking. AD hasn't been able to turn the corner the past few games, mainly because of the defenses continuing to put 8 in the box, and shooting the gaps. Thank God for Favre keeping them honest. Our O line is not pushing the line of scrimmage, and looks like a little confusion at times over responsibilities. Pass blocking has been very good.

I love our use of the screen pass, even TJack pulled off a beauty.

It's great to win 38-10, and still consider it a non-dominating performance. Love that we're 5-0, and like Marr said we're able to keep many of our guys fresh with the rotations. Doesn't bother me that AD only has 99 rushes in 5 games. We're winning, that's what counts most.

CCthebest
10-11-2009, 05:21 PM
The good:
Farve (minus the dumb int)
Rice (most improved player this year, maybe because we have a real QB)
The OLINE pass protecting
Special teams played well.
Luck. We got lucky with all the TOs the Rams gave us.

The Bad:
We cant cover. Our LBs are just horrible at covering. TEs own us. Anything up the middel ownz us.
We havent played a good team all year other then maybe the pack. Its going to get alot harder.

grpape
10-11-2009, 05:23 PM
"V4L" wrote:

You're frikin' kidding right? :o Everything you have posted has some negativity too it. It's fine if you want to complain, but don't spit out something like that.

Marrdro
10-11-2009, 05:24 PM
"grpape" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

You're frikin' kidding right? :o Everything you have posted has some negativity too it. It's fine if you want to complain, but don't spit out something like that.
Hey, I had 4 pages on the pool.
Does that mean I win?
:o ;D

VikingMike
10-11-2009, 05:27 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"grpape" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Does that mean I win?

I had 5, I guess you win.
;D

grpape
10-11-2009, 05:27 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"grpape" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Does that mean I win?

I'm lost on this one Mar. ???

Marrdro
10-11-2009, 05:28 PM
"VikingMike" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"grpape" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Does that mean I win?

I had 5, I guess you win.
;D

........Snicker.........

Marrdro
10-11-2009, 05:29 PM
"grpape" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"grpape" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Does that mean I win?

Just having a bit of fun my friend.
Again, my attempt at humor.
Anyone that has been on the site for any amount of time knows how bad I suck at it.
;D

snowinapril
10-11-2009, 05:36 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"grpape" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"grpape" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Does that mean I win?

Just having a bit of fun My Farvish Friend.
Anyone that has been on the site for any amount of time knows how bad I suck at it.

;D

For the record guys, I don't think V4L's comments were negative.
I didn't take them that way.

Give V4L a break!
He posted good and bad.
This win wasn't pretty and there are some things we had less than stellar concentration on in the game.
I would like to see a tighter game all the way around.

Marrdro
10-11-2009, 05:37 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"grpape" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"grpape" wrote:

Does that mean I win?

;D

Give V4L a break!
He posted good and bad.
This win wasn't pretty and there are some things we had less than stellar concentration on in the game.

Didn't think it was that bad either.

V4L
10-11-2009, 05:39 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"grpape" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Does that mean I win?

;D

Give V4L a break!
He posted good and bad.

Didn't think it was that bad either.

Thanks guys

Bunch of people off ESPN n Fox all agree we aren't hitting on all cylinders

We have a good team.. Not GREAT yet

Happy to be 5-0.. I hope we pick it up tho and the light TC's kept us fresh for the full year to play good ball all year

snowinapril
10-11-2009, 05:41 PM
"V4L" wrote:

Zero pass rush

No run blocking

Run stopping is even slacking a bit this year, still good but not as stout as usual

About the Zero pass rush, what if the goal was to keep Boller in the pocket and make his inaccurate arm throw some INTs.

Hasn't he been a run threat in the past.
We put pressure on him, he ran three times for 1 yard.

Pass blocking with Load out.
That seems like a good thing.

V4L
10-11-2009, 05:43 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Zero pass rush

No run blocking

About the Zero pass rush, what if the goal was to keep Boller in the pocket and make his inaccurate arm throw some INTs.

Hasn't he been a run threat in the past.
We put pressure on him, he ran three times for 1 yard.

Pass blocking with Load out.
That seems like a good thing.

All good points

He did get outside of the pocket wayyyy too much tho and made some throws that we should not have given up

Load out seems like it hurt a bit.. But still I see improvements in the line.. Even if it's against a couple 3rd stringers and a dude who hasn't been good for 3 years

marshallvike
10-11-2009, 05:46 PM
"V4L" wrote:

were these the"facts" you were referring to?
Zero pass rush

No run blocking

I agree with most, but you cannot refer to these as facts. They are opinions

Overlord
10-11-2009, 05:50 PM
Solid game.
Not the most exciting in the world.
I really feel bad for Rams fans that have had to put up with this garbage for three years now.
The talent level in the NFL is too close for a team to be this bad this consistently.

The offense looked pretty efficient despite the low rushing total.
The Vikes have averaged 31.2 points per game so far.
In '98 they averaged 34.75 points.
Obviously not as explosive and 11 games to go, but the offense has put plenty of points up each game.

Seems like the defense is scheming to make teams work it all the way down the field little chunks at a time.
They have really seemed to toughen up in the red zone all year, even before this game.
It'd be nice to get back to the 3-and-out thing.
But taking the ball away works too.

I like it.

"Dekay" wrote:

Pretty cool stats for this here (http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds).
I think it's simulation based and takes into account each teams performance, the teams they have played, and the teams they have coming up.
So not the same as the 'what percentage of 4-0 or 5-0 teams make it.'
I think it's updated every Tuesday night, so these numbers are from last week and they had the Vikes at 93%.

HEY
10-11-2009, 06:00 PM
Vikings and Giants are the two best teams in the NFL right now. They are both 5-0. We have 4 more touchdowns than the Giants though. Actually, we have more touchdowns in the NFL than any other team.

Purple Floyd
10-11-2009, 06:02 PM
It's pretty hard to be negative after a game we win by that margin.

I believe what we are seeing is we have so much depth that when one segment of the team struggles, the the rest of the team can step up and close it out. Initially the passing game was off and the running game dominated. Now the running game is stagnant but the passing game is getting better every week. The pass defense has been a concern but the red zone defense has been absolutely magnificent and has taken many, many points off the board so to speak with the turnovers and goal line stands.

Of course there are going to be games where things don't go our way, I just hope it doesn't happen in the most important one.

To me it does seem that AD has not been running with as much speed or conviction the past few weeks. Hopefully there isn't an underlying health issue there.

snowinapril
10-11-2009, 06:06 PM
Someone said that it was slow in here.
Peeps are probably getting ready for Yankee stomping at the Dome.

V4L
10-11-2009, 06:11 PM
"marshallvike" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Zero pass rush

No run blocking

They are facts

Anyone who denies it are big homers

What there isn't a fact?

We had no pass rush except a Kwill sack.. Which wasn't really a sack

Pass blocking is getting better.. 9 sacks the first 2 or 3 games.. 2 the last 2 games

Run stopping has slowed down.. Stats can prove that

And there is some run blocking.. But we have a hard time sealing the outsides or getting to the second level.. Luckily AP is able to rip off a couple decent runs here and there so far from sheer athletisicm

HEY
10-11-2009, 06:16 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I believe what we are seeing is we have so much depth that when one segment of the team struggles, the the rest of the team can step up and close it out. Initially the passing game was off and the running game dominated. Now the running game is stagnant but the passing game is getting better every week. The pass defense has been a concern but the red zone defense has been absolutely magnificent and has taken many, many points off the board so to speak with the turnovers and goal line stands.

Of course there are going to be games where things don't go our way, I just hope it doesn't happen in the most important one.

To me it does seem that AD has not been running with as much speed or conviction the past few weeks. Hopefully there isn't an underlying health issue there.

Good post!
The Vikings have the scariest goal line defense in the NFL. Hands down!
I still can't forget the goal line stand we had against the Bears last season, you know the one where they went 4 and out, and on the first play, Berrian caught a 99 yard pass. The one we had against the Packers last week was also very impressive. Jared Allen had to cap it off with a safety on Rodgers of course. The man is an expert on making safeties.

snowinapril
10-11-2009, 06:18 PM
"V4L" wrote:

"marshallvike" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Zero pass rush

No run blocking

They are facts

What there isn't a fact?

Pass blocking is getting better.. 9 sacks the first 2 or 3 games.. 2 the last 2 games

And there is some run blocking.. But we have a hard time sealing the outsides or getting to the second level.. Luckily AP is able to rip off a couple decent runs here and there so far from sheer athletisicm

I would have to agree they are opinions.
Facts are backed with stats.

If you would do a comparison with another game with numbers on those opinions, then I might say it is fact.

V4L
10-11-2009, 06:18 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

I dont think anyone is being negative

Just pointing out things that we
really need to work on

A stomping of a 0-5 rams team which is clearly the worst team in the league is nice but nothing to get over excited about.. Especially when they shoot themselves in the foot that many times

V4L
10-11-2009, 06:21 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

"marshallvike" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

Zero pass rush

No run blocking

They are facts

What there isn't a fact?

I would have to agree they are opinions.
Facts are backed with stats.

If you would do a comparison with another game with numbers on those opinions, then I might say it is fact.

Look at our rush average for opposing teams from the last 3 years compared to this year

Look at the sacks given up the first few games compared to the last 2

Look at APs first couple games compared to the last 2

Pass rush I have no stat for.. Just seems to be non existant except for Allen last week with a huge game.. Even with us leading the league in sacks up to this week.. So maybe that one isn't a fact?

But all the others the numbers tell the truth.. We just haven't been stout up front.. We have alot of work.. I think we can do it tho

Purple Floyd
10-11-2009, 06:21 PM
"V4L" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

really need to work on

A stomping of a 0-5 rams team which is clearly the worst team in the league is nice but nothing to get over excited about.. Especially when they shoot themselves in the foot that many times

Sorry V4l, I wasn't referring to you. I think you were pretty even keeled. I was just making a general comment that they were playing pretty well.
;) ;D

snowinapril
10-11-2009, 06:22 PM
"HEY" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Good post!
I still can't forget the goal line stand we had against the Bears last season, you know the one where they went 4 and out, and on the first play, Berrian caught a 99 yard pass. The one we had against the Packers last week was also very impressive. Jared Allen had to cap it off with a safety on Rodgers of course. The man is an expert on making safeties.

I think part of the reason for this scepticism is that we haven't really played a good team.
We are going to get to the meat of our schedule here and we will get to see what we are made of, if out goal line D is really that scary.

IMHO, we are still as good with the run, we just are trying to bait teams into thinking we aren't so they don't come into the game thinking that they will pass on us from the start.
JMHO!

Bring on the MEAT!

V4L
10-11-2009, 06:28 PM
"UffDaVikes" wrote:

"V4L" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

really need to work on

Sorry V4l, I wasn't referring to you. I think you were pretty even keeled. I was just making a general comment that they were playing pretty well.
;) ;D

No worries my man!!

Yah in the second half we buckled down.. Seems to be the pattern

We gotta play more complete games against good teams IMO!

ultravikingfan
10-11-2009, 06:29 PM
"HEY" wrote:

Vikings and Giants are the two best teams in the NFL right now. They are both 5-0. We have 4 more touchdowns than the Giants though. Actually, we have more touchdowns in the NFL than any other team.

I would say the Giants are better at this point.

They are playing great.

I am not going to be a 'stat homer' for the Vikes.
Just because we have more TD's means nothing.

There Defense is better as well.

V4L
10-11-2009, 06:32 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"HEY" wrote:

They are playing great.

+1

We aren't firing on all cylinders just yet

And hopefully we still have the Giants number this year!

Overlord
10-11-2009, 06:51 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"HEY" wrote:

They are playing great.

Probably fair to make arguments for any of the top teams right now: Giants, Vikes, Saints, Colts, Broncos...

Saints look the best to me because that defense has been very good to go along with a top offense.
But it's a long season.

I don't think there's a team in the league that the Vikes wouldn't have a darn good chance of beating, home or away.
Should make for some good ones coming up.
More exciting than a Rams beat down anyway.

ejmat
10-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Thanks for all the posts everyone.
I wasn't able to watch the game here in the DR but it's nice getting everyone's thoughts.
I'm happy they are 5-0.
Now they need to face the Ravens next week.
It will be a true test.
Looks like a game for AP in and out of the backfield.
They need to get him the ball on handoffs and screens to stop the blitz.
If they can do that successfully they will be ok.

happy camper
10-11-2009, 06:56 PM
"HEY" wrote:

In the NFL, I'd go

Colts
Giants
Vikings

Maybe the Broncos above the Vikings too, they have beat some quality opponents.

DPep11
10-11-2009, 07:54 PM
Jeez reading some of the posts in this thread, you'd think they lost the game!
???

They put up 38 points against a really crappy team, I'm pretty content with that. After an emotional Monday night game against the Packers and playing against one of the jokes of the league, I'm sure it was hard for these guys to play 100%. Defense got the turnovers when they needed to, our air game is ridiculous (how do you stop Berrian, Rice, Harvin or Shiancoe all at the same time when having to worry about AP and Chester?! Impossible). First test will be next weekend, but I'm not very worried. The Ravens have a tough D but so do we and our offense is much better than the Ravens offense. SKOL VIKES! 5-0

VikingLance
10-11-2009, 08:01 PM
"snowinapril" wrote:

"HEY" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Good post!

I think part of the reason for this scepticism is that we haven't really played a good team.
We are going to get to the meat of our schedule here and we will get to see what we are made of, if out goal line D is really that scary.

IMHO, we are still as good with the run, we just are trying to bait teams into thinking we aren't so they don't come into the game thinking that they will pass on us from the start.
JMHO!

Bring on the MEAT!

For the last couple of games I was wondering what is up with the running game.
We are so used to 100++ yards rushing, then it hit me.
WE HAVE A BALANCED OFFENSE!!!!!!
We are taking what the defense is giving us.
For 2+ years now teams play the run against the Vikings. While I think they will continue to play to stop Peterson, teams are going to have to start accounting for our receivers.
Our receivers had a good day.
If teams double one, the others are good enough to step up and get the job done.
And once they start to focus on the pass---here come AD.

Starting to look like a KAO to me.

Skol Vikings!

MaxVike
10-11-2009, 08:06 PM
"VikingLance" wrote:

"snowinapril" wrote:

"HEY" wrote:

"UffDaVikes" wrote:

Good post!

JMHO!

Bring on the MEAT!

For the last couple of games I was wondering what is up with the running game.
We are so used to 100++ yards rushing, then it hit me.
WE HAVE A BALANCED OFFENSE!!!!!!
We are taking what the defense is giving us.
For 2+ years now teams play the run against the Vikings. While I think they will continue to play to stop Peterson, teams are going to have to start accounting for our receivers.
Our receivers had a good day.
If teams double one, the others are good enough to step up and get the job done.
And once they start to focus on the pass---here come AD.

Starting to look like a KAO to me.

Skol Vikings!

Refreshing perspective.
Thanks for the concise points.

Sajid28
10-11-2009, 08:09 PM
"PhatmanPat94" wrote:

???

They put up 38 points against a really crappy team, I'm pretty content with that. After an emotional Monday night game against the Packers and playing against one of the jokes of the league, I'm sure it was hard for these guys to play 100%. Defense got the turnovers when they needed to, our air game is ridiculous (how do you stop Berrian, Rice, Harvin or Shiancoe all at the same time when having to worry about AP and Chester?! Impossible). First test will be next weekend, but I'm not very worried. The Ravens have a tough D but so do we and our offense is much better than the Ravens offense. SKOL VIKES! 5-0

lol, yea i know people are talking on here as if we lost the game. im happy with 5-0. But, I do see some room for improvments, first off, out of every 5-0 team, the Vikings have given up the most points, not good especially when you have two really hard games coming up with the ravens + steelers. 2nd, whats up with the opponents passing yards the last 2 weeks? last week almost 400 to Rodgers and I know our backups were in the middle of the 4th but we gave up nearly 300 yards passing combined between Boller and Bulger. to be fair the 49ers, Lions, Browns, barely got 200 yards passing. But other than that, good game. Let our boys come back home to rest, and let the Chiller devise a game plan to freeze the ravens.

SKOL VIKES!!!

ultravikingfan
10-11-2009, 08:10 PM
"Sajid28" wrote:

"PhatmanPat94" wrote:

???

lol, yea i know people are talking on here as if we lost the game. im happy with 5-0. But, I do see some room for improvments, first off, out of every 5-0 team, the Vikings have given up the most points, not good especially when you have two really hard games coming up with the ravens + steelers. 2nd, whats up with the opponents passing yards the last 2 weeks? last week almost 400 to Rodgers and I know our backups were in the middle of the 4th but we gave up nearly 300 yards passing combined between Boller and Bulger. to be fair the 49ers, Lions, Browns, barely got 200 yards passing. But other than that, good game. Let our boys come back home to rest, and let the Chiller devise a game plan to freeze the ravens.

SKOL VIKES!!!

+1

Both of you

molineviking
10-11-2009, 08:35 PM
Unfortunately I couldn't watch any of the game, (Proud parent moment)-My sons 5th, 6th grade team crushed the "Rich Kids" from Pleasant Valley, 38-0, anyway I checked the stats and they outgained us in total yards, rushing, more first downs, more T.O.P. This pattern of our opponents outgaining us is starting to worry me, I can see Rodgers having a good game, But not Bulgar, Maybe I'll just go back through these posts to see what I missed, I just walked in the door.

VikingMike
10-11-2009, 08:47 PM
"Overlord" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"HEY" wrote:

They are playing great.

Probably fair to make arguments for any of the top teams right now: Giants, Vikes, Saints, Colts, Broncos...

Saints look the best to me because that defense has been very good to go along with a top offense.
But it's a long season.

I don't think there's a team in the league that the Vikes wouldn't have a darn good chance of beating, home or away.

I think the Saints still have to be considered #1, then the Colts, Giants and us.

Sajid28
10-11-2009, 09:25 PM
"VikingMike" wrote:

"Overlord" wrote:

"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"HEY" wrote:

They are playing great.

But it's a long season.

I think the Saints still have to be considered #1, then the Colts, Giants and us.

well see about that when the saints face the giants in week 6. only one team is coming out with a win

Sajid28
10-11-2009, 09:28 PM
believe it or not, one thing that worries me is the bengals. if it wasnt for the BS catch by stokely they would be 5-0. they are also on top of their division, and we play them in a cruical time of the year (week 14), thank god its in minny. but this team took down the steelers and ravens. but to be fair, they are division rivals, so any team can come out with a win in a division game. lets see how they do as the season progress'

BRANflakes69
10-11-2009, 09:53 PM
You know what scares me??????? IS THE VIKINGS SUSPECT SECONDARY!!!!!! LOOK AT WHO WE HAVE OUT THERE!!! WHY ARE WE NOT STOPPING THE PASS AS MUCH AS WE SHOULD BE?!!!! SOMEBODY PUT MY MIND AT EASE!!!

ultravikingfan
10-11-2009, 10:01 PM
"BRANflakes69" wrote:

You know what scares me??????? IS THE VIKINGS SUSPECT SECONDARY!!!!!! LOOK AT WHO WE HAVE OUT THERE!!! WHY ARE WE NOT STOPPING THE PASS AS MUCH AS WE SHOULD BE?!!!! SOMEBODY PUT MY MIND AT EASE!!!

It all starts with the battle up front.

vikinggreg
10-11-2009, 10:07 PM
teams 5-0, no one on ir, penalties are down, oline is improving in the passing game, winning the turnover battle, I'm happy with the progress, winning is fun and the team looks to be liking both

Yfz01
10-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Ravens next?
Who DEY??

midgensa
10-11-2009, 10:17 PM
"Yfz01" wrote:

Ravens next?
Who DEY??

The proper term is Who da fuck are dey!

oaklandzoo24
10-11-2009, 10:28 PM
I already got Baltimore fans in Pittsburgh talkin shit to me about this game thats comin up.
I just put my hand up and when they go to slap it I say, "Im sorry do you have 5 wins?
This is the high five club, exclusive 5-0ers only."
;)

Then on Thirsty Thursday Im going to a party with a vikings horn over my dick and asking the girls they are hittin on if they would like a taste of perfection instead of these chumps.

BRANflakes69
10-11-2009, 10:44 PM
"ultravikingfan" wrote:

"BRANflakes69" wrote:

It all starts with the battle up front.

Yea and we should be winning that with the damn SOLDIERS we have up their, with the players we have in our secondary we should be running through teams more than what we should be, and the one team that im really talking about is the damn packers, hopefully it will come through more and more during the seasons duration..........AIR ASSUALT!!

PurplePowerPunch
10-11-2009, 11:04 PM
"oaklandzoo24" wrote:

I already got Baltimore fans in Pittsburgh talkin pooh to me about this game thats comin up.
I just put my hand up and when they go to slap it I say, "Im sorry do you have 5 wins?

;)

Then on Thirsty Thursday Im going to a party with a vikings horn over my slick willy and asking the girls they are hittin on if they would like a taste of perfection instead of these chumps.

Nice bro! ;D

BRANflakes69
10-11-2009, 11:10 PM
"PurplePowerPunch" wrote:

"oaklandzoo24" wrote:

I already got Baltimore fans in Pittsburgh talkin pooh to me about this game thats comin up.

;)

Then on Thirsty Thursday Im going to a party with a vikings horn over my slick willy and asking the girls they are hittin on if they would like a taste of perfection instead of these chumps.

Nice bro! ;D

HAHAHA thats whats up man....

Sajid28
10-11-2009, 11:38 PM
lately for the past couple of weeks, after every win, i would go to the opposing teams forum to see what they say about us. For those of you who are waiting for me to do it this week, I think I'm going to pass. I really dont believe on picking on a team that is alot weaker than us. Were winners, but we do it with class
;D Lets just hope next week, you will be able to see my posts =)

I love this forum!!!

BRANflakes69
10-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Sajid.....way to give respect two thumbs up brother/

gamecock_fo_life
10-12-2009, 12:25 AM
BRING ON THE RAVENS!!!!!!!!!

midgensa
10-12-2009, 12:36 AM
Some odd talk on here about the yards we gave up yaddy yaddy yada ... blah blah.

It is this simple ... we DOMINATED this game. Totally and completely. Did the Rams have a few drives? Sure. Did we make the plays we had to make when we had to? Absolutely.

All this talk about our run game being screwy is a little off too. Watch all of the last four games. Teams are not just stacking the box. They are spying AD, they are swarming to him and they are overloading the line to get to him.

We DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM IN THE RUNNING GAME. Teams are taking the running game away from us and we are taking what they give us. Which more often than not is short to intermediate passes that are chewing up opposing defenses.

We are THIRD in the league in third down conversion and THIRD in the league in scoring. YARDAGE does not win games folks.

This team is built to be efficient on offense and bend and not break (the Cover 2) on defense. We are doing both of those damn near PERFECTLY.

We are 5-0. We all know that it has not been against the best teams in the league (by the way, everyone loves the Giants who have beaten the Chiefs, Bucs, Redskins and Raiders). But the difference in this team and team's past, we are destroying the bad teams that get in our way. We are 3-0 on the road. And we are efficient in every sense of the word.

Are the Ravens a huge test. Absolutely. If we lose is it a tough one? Absolutely. If we lose is it the end of the world and reason to throw in the towel? Absolutely Not.

And most importantly ... Are the Ravens going to beat us in the dome? No fucking way
;)

singersp
10-12-2009, 05:23 AM
"midgensa" wrote:

Some odd talk on here about the yards we gave up yaddy yaddy yada ... blah blah.

It is this simple ... we DOMINATED this game. Totally and completely. Did the Rams have a few drives? Sure. Did we make the plays we had to make when we had to? Absolutely.

All this talk about our run game being screwy is a little off too. Watch all of the last four games. Teams are not just stacking the box. They are spying AD, they are swarming to him and they are overloading the line to get to him.

We DO NOT HAVE A PROBLEM IN THE RUNNING GAME. Teams are taking the running game away from us and we are taking what they give us. Which more often than not is short to intermediate passes that are chewing up opposing defenses.

We are THIRD in the league in third down conversion and THIRD in the league in scoring. YARDAGE does not win games folks.

This team is built to be efficient on offense and bend and not break (the Cover 2) on defense. We are doing both of those damn near PERFECTLY.

We are 5-0. We all know that it has not been against the best teams in the league (by the way, everyone loves the Giants who have beaten the Chiefs, Bucs, Redskins and Raiders). But the difference in this team and team's past, we are destroying the bad teams that get in our way. We are 3-0 on the road. And we are efficient in every sense of the word.

Are the Ravens a huge test. Absolutely. If we lose is it a tough one? Absolutely. If we lose is it the end of the world and reason to throw in the towel? Absolutely Not.

And most importantly ... Are the Ravens going to beat us in the dome? No fucking way
;)

Wait a minute. You mean teams are still stacking the box against AD & not pulling that 8 or 9th man out (like Singer said would happen) and not RESPECTING the pass & Favre like many people here claimed would happen, thereby allowing AD to achieve 1800-2000 yard stats?
;)

singersp
10-12-2009, 05:29 AM
"oaklandzoo24" wrote:

I already got Baltimore fans in Pittsburgh talkin shit to me about this game thats comin up.

;)

Then on Thirsty Thursday Im going to a party with a vikings horn over my dick and asking the girls they are hittin on if they would like a taste of perfection instead of these chumps.

Make sure to wear it with the curl turned upward.

vikingivan
10-12-2009, 06:45 AM
"midgensa" wrote:

This team is built to be efficient on offense and bend and not break (the Cover 2) on defense. We are doing both of those gol 'darnit near PERFECTLY.

And most importantly ... Are the Ravens going to beat us in the dome? No fricken way
;)

Nice post my friend.
The Vikings should be 6-0 going into Pittsburgh.
Stack the box, stop the best running back in the league.
The Vikings with # 4 at quarterback and receivers like Harvin, Shiancoe, Berrian, Rice, and Kleinsasser, ha ha gotta love Kleinny, can now beat you through the air.

We would not be saying that if we still had #7, or even #2 at quarterback. Bring on the Ravens and their sophomore quarterback.
The Vikings will extend their winning streak to 6 games, while extending the Ravens losing streak to 3 games.
Skol Vikings!
See you all Sunday.

Marrdro
10-12-2009, 07:33 AM
"singersp" wrote:

Wait a minute. You mean teams are still stacking the box against AD & not pulling that 8 or 9th man out (like Singer said would happen) and not RESPECTING the pass & Favre like many people here claimed would happen, thereby allowing AD to achieve 1800-2000 yard stats?
;)

And a follow-on thought, didn't AD get his yards when teams were stacking the box and not respecting the pass last year or the year before?
::)

Marrdro
10-12-2009, 07:36 AM
"Sajid28" wrote:

believe it or not, one thing that worries me is the bengals. if it wasnt for the BS catch by stokely they would be 5-0. they are also on top of their division, and we play them in a cruical time of the year (week 14), thank god its in minny. but this team took down the steelers and ravens. but to be fair, they are division rivals, so any team can come out with a win in a division game. lets see how they do as the season progress'

FEAR THE BENGALS my friends..
;)
;D
;D
;D

kevoncox
10-12-2009, 07:50 AM
"singersp" wrote:

;)

And they all have lost the game!
;D ;D
Is that the point. If a team is stupid enough not to respect Favre when he starts disecting them, then they deserve to win. Please don't come on here proclaiming that you called anything. All you did was bitch and moan about Favre throwing INTs(he has 2, on enot his fault) and him being washed up. Until you create a thread saying you were completely wrong about Favre and what he brings to this team....you have no credibility in conversations about the passing game vs. the run game. Don't worry, I still love the articles you post ;D ;D.

Marrdro
10-12-2009, 07:55 AM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

;)

;D ;D
Is that the point. If a team is stupid enough not to respect Favre when he starts disecting them, then they deserve to win. Please don't come on here proclaiming that you called anything. All you did was beeyatch and moan about Favre throwing INTs(he has 2, on enot his fault) and him being washed up. Until you create a thread saying you were completely wrong about Favre and what he brings to this team....you have no credibility in conversations about the passing game vs. the run game. Don't worry, I still love the articles you post ;D ;D.

Back down big boy......... :o

All he is saying (If I may Singer)........is Favre hasn't had the effect most thought he would have when it comes to:

a.
Stacked boxes.
We are still seeing just as many.
Most said that that would go away with his passing prowes.
b.
Stretched field.
Both S's aren't dropping back.
In fact, see item a.
One, sometimes both come up and leaves our WR's singled up alone.
c.
OL would be better.
Most thought his quick release would negate some of the sacks typically given up by our OL and its woes.
Truth be told it is getting better but it isn't because of Noodle Arms release. It is because Bevell has changed the blocking scheme a bit.

Long story short, just cause Singer is right don't mean you need to go all KevonCox on him.
Remember, this is a football site were we talk football.
Both the good and yes, even sometimes, the bad......;)

ejmat
10-12-2009, 08:13 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

;)

;D ;D
Is that the point. If a team is stupid enough not to respect Favre when he starts disecting them, then they deserve to win. Please don't come on here proclaiming that you called anything. All you did was beeyatch and moan about Favre throwing INTs(he has 2, on enot his fault) and him being washed up. Until you create a thread saying you were completely wrong about Favre and what he brings to this team....you have no credibility in conversations about the passing game vs. the run game. Don't worry, I still love the articles you post ;D ;D.

All he is saying (If I may Singer)........is Favre hasn't had the effect most thought he would have when it comes to:

a.
Stacked boxes.

b.
Stretched field.

In fact, see item a.
c.
OL would be better.
Most thought his quick release would negate some of the sacks typically given up by our OL and its woes.
Truth be told it is getting better but it isn't because of Noodle Arms release. It is because Bevell has changed the blocking scheme a bit.

Long story short, just cause Singer is right don't mean you need to go all KevonCox on him.

I didn't watch yesterdays game but it is not true for the 2nd half of the SF game and the entire GB game.
The Rams entire game plan was to stop AP.
If that is what teams want to do then sobeit.
Now we have a QB that can burn them.
He has proven this over and over this year.
Teams have to pick their poisen.
That is something that Favre brings to the team that the other QBs did not.
A lot of us even stated if they continue to stack the box Favre would be able to burn them.
He has done that.
Therefore, although you may have been correct in that teams will continue to stack the box you weren't correct in that Favre would be able to take advantage of that.

NodakPaul
10-12-2009, 08:14 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

;)

;D ;D

a.
Stacked boxes.

b.
Stretched field.

In fact, see item a.
c.
OL would be better.

Actually, most of us said that Favre would have one of two effects:
1) Teams didn't stack the box so they could defend the pass, opening up the running game.
2) Teams continued to stack the box and play against AD, allowing Favre to beat them through the air.

So far, it looks like #2 has been the method of choice of other teams.
I can live with that.

Nice to see though that the same two people managed to get anti-Favre comments in though...
Would hate to see a post game thread go by without you guys complaining about something regarding Favre...

Marrdro
10-12-2009, 08:24 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

;)

;D ;D

a.
Stacked boxes.

b.
Stretched field.

In fact, see item a.
c.
OL would be better.

I didn't watch yesterdays game but it is not true for the 2nd half of the SF game and the entire GB game.
The Rams entire game plan was to stop AP.
If that is what teams want to do then sobeit.
Now we have a QB that can burn them.
He has proven this over and over this year.
Teams have to pick their poisen.
That is something that Favre brings to the team that the other QBs did not.
A lot of us even stated if they continue to stack the box Favre would be able to burn them.
He has done that.
Therefore, although you may have been correct in that teams will continue to stack the box you weren't correct in that Favre would be able to take advantage of that.

Funny thing, I did watch the game.

AD's running was effective when he got the ball.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=291011014&period=0

What took away from his total yards was the game plan the staff took to the game.
Go back, look at how many carries AD had going into the middle of the 3rd quarter.
If anyone else would have been under center we would have been hearing the chants of "Fire Childress" for not giving our best playmaker the ball.

Again, the stacked box thing is getting old as an excuse.
AD got his yards against them before when teams didn't have to pick thier poison.....
;)

As I said in another thread.
It was painfully obvious what the staff was trying to do and truth be told, it wasn't a bad thing.
This was the team to try it against so that we can see what we have in that area before we get to some of the teams were we are gonna need it.

Braddock
10-12-2009, 08:24 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

;)

;D ;D

a.
Stacked boxes.

b.
Stretched field.

In fact, see item a.
c.
OL would be better.

1) Teams didn't stack the box so they could defend the pass, opening up the running game.
2) Teams continued to stack the box and play against AD, allowing Favre to beat them through the air.

I can live with that.

Nice to see though that the same two people managed to get anti-Favre comments in though...
Would hate to see a post game thread go by without you guys complaining about something regarding Favre...

OOOOOOHHHHH, oh no he diiin't....

I myself am honestly shocked by how well Favre has dissected secondaries. build up enough steam and confidence heading into tougher pass defenses.

Marrdro
10-12-2009, 08:29 AM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

;)

;D ;D

a.
Stacked boxes.

b.
Stretched field.

In fact, see item a.
c.
OL would be better.

I can live with that.

Nice to see some are still resorting to insults and jabs when someone even thinks to mention something BAD about ole Noodle Arm.......

LOL, I thought I was actually being nice when it came to ole Noodle arm of late.
Guess I can't please everyone......Well, at least as long as I refuse to drink the purple Kool Aid.......

Back to football........

What do you think the game plan was going into that game?

ultravikingfan
10-12-2009, 08:33 AM
"singersp" wrote:

[Wait a minute. You mean teams are still stacking the box against AD & not pulling that 8 or 9th man out (like Singer said would happen) and not RESPECTING the pass & Favre like many people here claimed would happen, thereby allowing AD to achieve 1800-2000 yard stats?
;)

Let's not turn this thread into another pissing match.

Everybody step down off their soap boxes.

gagarr
10-12-2009, 08:57 AM
It's a pick your poison situation.
Teams have been picking Favre, which IMO is a very good choice, since Favre hasn't reached it full potency yet.
He's still getting synced with receivers.
Each game goes by more
receivers are getting involved with longer passes.

Ravens and Steelers so far haven't shown great defenses, but they are both much better than what the Vikes have faced so far this year.
Also, both their offenses are playing good too.

Vikes have been lucky that they didn't face these guys earlier, before Favre had time to get better in sync with the recievers.

Bkfldviking
10-12-2009, 09:24 AM
http://media.scout.com/media/image/73/734510.jpg

Arise, go forth and sin no more.
Next time hang on to the ball! ;D

jargomcfargo
10-12-2009, 09:24 AM
It's nice to beat the teams you are supposed to beat.

I worry more about the defense than the offense at this point in time.
But I expect the defense to continue to improve.

Special teams punt coverage appears to be improving.

ultravikingfan
10-12-2009, 09:31 AM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

There it is, right there ^.

We are beating the teams we should always beat.

Nothing is worse than losing to a crappy team.

MaxVike
10-12-2009, 09:33 AM
We beat a shitty team that we should have beaten.

It is encouraging watching the Vikes offense be able to take what a defense is giving them, gotta attribute that to WRs stepping up and a capable QB.
Harvin is going to be special, Rice dropped a pass he should have caught and didn't get his feet in on a pass that should have been a TD.
I thought the defense looked tired at times, especially against those quick Rams WRs.

That said, no need to nitpick the win, it is what it was supposed to be.
The Vikes clearly outmatched the Rams and it showed in the end result.

The real schedule starts Sunday.

5-0...I think the majority of us expected it; I did.

jargomcfargo
10-12-2009, 09:33 AM
"Bkfldviking" wrote:

Is hypnosis legal in the NFL?

Marrdro
10-12-2009, 09:34 AM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

You can lump me in that crowd as well.
It was almost like they were letting them march down the field so that they could take it away in the red zone.

Throw in how well Jackson ran against us.
He would have topped 100 yards easy if the score wouldn't have taken him out of the game.

jargomcfargo
10-12-2009, 09:38 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

You can lump me in that crowd as well.
It was almost like they were letting them march down the field so that they could take it away in the red zone.

Throw in how well Jackson ran against us.
He would have topped 100 yards easy if the score wouldn't have taken him out of the game.

Teams that run on the edge against us, just outside the tackles, have had some rushing success.
The Vikings played the 8 man in the box game a fair amount yesterday. They wanted to stop Jackson who gashed us a bit when we played them last time.
That made us vulnerable to the pass.

Dekay
10-12-2009, 09:40 AM
"Bkfldviking" wrote:

Williams: "Boller...You suck!!"

Marrdro
10-12-2009, 10:07 AM
Victory comes with a dose of reality

http://min.scout.com/2/908239.html

Marrdro
10-12-2009, 10:09 AM
Notebook: 5-0 portends well for purple

http://min.scout.com/2/908095.html

Marrdro
10-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Week Five Monday Aftermath: Vikings 38, Rams 10

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/12/week-five-monday-aftermath-vikings-38-rams-10/

Marrdro
10-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Leaps and bounds for Favre

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_/id/4577/4577

jargomcfargo
10-12-2009, 10:22 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/10/12/week-five-monday-aftermath-vikings-38-rams-10/

Florio covered most all the negatives as usual.

Marrdro
10-12-2009, 10:22 AM
In Decisive Victory, St. Louis Rams Defeat St. Louis Rams

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2009/10/11/1080323/in-decisive-victory-st-louis-rams

Marrdro
10-12-2009, 10:26 AM
Vikings have look of a champion, dispose of Rams

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-10-11/vikings-have-look-champion-disposing-rams

Marrdro
10-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Vikes Improve to 5-0

By the end of the game, the Vikes had Tarvaris Jackson in at quarterback who led them on a touchdown drive capped by a Chester Taylor one yard run. Honestly though, how is T-Jack the backup quarterback over Sage Rosenfels?!? What if something ever did happen to Favre, we are gonna turn to T-Jack. God, I hope not!

http://skolvikes.blogspot.com/2009/10/vikes-improve-to-5-0.html
Marrdro's comment follows:
I actually thought TJ and the 2's looked pretty good.
A couple of nice throws by our BACKUP QB, one with alot of pressure in his face.
;D

i_bleed_purple
10-12-2009, 10:32 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

Vikes Improve to 5-0

By the end of the game, the Vikes had Tarvaris Jackson in at quarterback who led them on a touchdown drive capped by a Chester Taylor one yard run. Honestly though, how is T-Jack the backup quarterback over Sage Rosenfels?!? What if something ever did happen to Favre, we are gonna turn to T-Jack. God, I hope not!

A couple of nice throws by our BACKUP QB, one with alot of pressure in his face.
;D

I saw that.

An funny comment for you, (not you specifically).
During the game I actually DID notice TJ looking at what Favre and Sage were doing, this was right after the pick.

however, I was watching with the old man, and during that he said "hey, do you ever notice jackson is never with Favre and Sage going over what happened and learning?"
I chuckled.
He's not even amember here, hasn't been warped by the anti-TJ crowd.

Marrdro
10-12-2009, 10:36 AM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Vikes Improve to 5-0

;D

I saw that.

During the game I actually DID notice TJ looking at what Favre and Sage were doing, this was right after the pick.

however, I was watching with the old man, and during that he said "hey, do you ever notice jackson is never with Favre and Sage going over what happened and learning?"
I chuckled.

LOL, thats funny.

As I said in another thread, I do see TJ over there with LNAD and Sage but only at times when something like that happens.

My opinion on this (and it might be skewed towards TJ a bit) is that he might just have a grasp of the offense now that he doesn't need to pore over the looks as Sage does.

If I am right, then that is a good thing one would think and probably why he is the number two and Sage is the number 3.

CulpepperViking16
10-12-2009, 10:37 AM
"HEY" wrote:

Take that Green Bay!
I love this season!
;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

vikinggreg
10-12-2009, 10:42 AM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Florio covered most all the negatives as usual.

Negative and a little miss guided with his...facts or lack of proof reading, looks like one of my posts :o

This one was a potential trap for the Vikings, given that they had just played two tough games against the 49ers and Packers and they've got three big ones looming against the Ravens, Steelers, and Vikings.

In 3 weeks we face the Vikings?
Is it a home or away game?
They're tough on the road but at home their crowd is always a factor in the malldome ;)

Suick
10-12-2009, 10:47 AM
"jargomcfargo" wrote:

+1

400 yds to a 0-5 team is worrisome. We can't always rely on TO's to win.

i_bleed_purple
10-12-2009, 10:58 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Vikes Improve to 5-0

;D

I saw that.

I chuckled.

LOL, thats funny.

As I said in another thread, I do see TJ over there with LNAD and Sage but only at times when something like that happens.

My opinion on this (and it might be skewed towards TJ a bit) is that he might just have a grasp of the offense now that he doesn't need to pore over the looks as Sage does.

If I am right, then that is a good thing one would think and probably why he is the number two and Sage is the number 3.

he might have a grasp on the offense, but he evidently doesn't have enough of a grasp on the QB position, otherwise he'd be starting.
If Favre can go over pictures and defenses, TJ sure as hell can.
He might not need to go over the call, who ran what route, etc.
But perhaps see how the defense reacts and how to find the open guy, as thats not exactly his forte.

i_bleed_purple
10-12-2009, 10:59 AM
"Suick" wrote:

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

+1

400 yds to a 0-5 team is worrisome. We can't always rely on TO's to win.

not to mention they went for it 3 times on 4th down in field goal range.

Marrdro
10-12-2009, 11:15 AM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Vikes Improve to 5-0

;D

I saw that.

I chuckled.

LOL, thats funny.

he might have a grasp on the offense, but he evidently doesn't have enough of a grasp on the QB position, otherwise he'd be starting.
But perhaps see how the defense reacts and how to find the open guy, as thats not exactly his forte.

Comeon, if Noodle arm wouldn't have dained to grace us with his presence, you and I both know he would be starting....

As to who is looking at the pics, Noodle arm doesn't appear to spend much time on them.
;)

marstc09
10-12-2009, 11:26 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Vikes Improve to 5-0

;D

I saw that.

I chuckled.

LOL, thats funny.

Comeon, if Noodle arm wouldn't have dained to grace us with his presence, you and I both know he would be starting....

As to who is looking at the pics, Noodle arm doesn't appear to spend much time on them.

;)

Who is noodle arm?

vikinggreg
10-12-2009, 11:32 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Vikes Improve to 5-0

;D

I saw that.

I chuckled.

LOL, thats funny.

;)

Come on Marr its past week 3, if Noodles wasn't here the other guy would be hurt or benched by now ;)

Anyhow did see Favre and TJ talking on the sidelines early in the game with Favre moving his hands around like he was showing route directions or directions to his house
;D

Jackson does seem to be is handling everything like a pro

Marrdro
10-12-2009, 11:36 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

Who is noodle arm?

LOL, I'm sure you can figure it out.....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/yardsPerPassAttempt

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2009&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_40PLUS_YARDS_EACH&d-447263-n=1

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2009&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-n=1

marstc09
10-12-2009, 11:53 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Who is noodle arm?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/passing/sort/yardsPerPassAttempt

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2009&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_40PLUS_YARDS_EACH&d-447263-n=1

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2009&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=null&tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-n=1

5-0

duvaldomo
10-12-2009, 11:57 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Who is noodle arm?

Yeah im with marr here I would like it if favre threw 20+ more even if it resulted in a loss or two.. just to prove to people he still got it.

i_bleed_purple
10-12-2009, 12:02 PM
"duvaldomo" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Who is noodle arm?

Yeah im with marr here I would like it if favre threw 20+ more even if it resulted in a loss or two.. just to prove to people he still got it.

I personally think he should take more low percentage deep shots, maybe throw some bad interceptions just to show he can still sling it in there.
Drop the noodlearm bs, your not convincing anybody except yourself.

V4L
10-12-2009, 12:03 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"marstc09" wrote:

Who is noodle arm?

He had one on target deep throw testerday outta like 4 or 5

He is constintaly pulling a T-jack and sailing them outta bounds

Love what he's doing with the short game tho

Zeus
10-12-2009, 12:09 PM
Just got back to work after flying home from St. Louis this morning.
It was awesome to watch that ASS-KICKING the Vikings put on the Rams yesterday.
Here are some random thoughts:

* St. Louis Vikings Fan Club - met up with the people from that group and had a great time drinking some cold ones before the game.
They tailgated on the sunny side of the stadium (which made a big difference - it was a little chilly yesterday morning).
TKE also showed up with his bro-in-law - as did the film crew who did the taping last week with Willie Howard at the PPO tailgate.
That was weird - and the dude running the show even talked me into doing a pre-game sermon, my first-ever road sermon, LOL!

* Edward Jones Dome - nice wide concourses, never had a big wait for the pisser, lots and lots of purple in the house.
That said - I'd be shocked if that place ever got as loud as the Metrodome does.
The sound seemed to get swallowed up on the few occasions when the Rams fans attempted to exert some influence.
The price of beers there was ludicrous, as well.
A nice stadium, but their video-replay boards were too small (made it hard to see things), as well.

* St. Louis fans - wow.
Are they fatalistic.
I wonder if that's what it's like to be a Lions fan.
I hope the Vikings never sink to that level.
As I said above - lots of purple in the stadium.
And the Rams fans who were there were more anti-Rams than anti-Vikings.
Once Jared Allen took that fumble back (which was right into the end zone where I was sitting), the game was over to listen to those folks.
All of the Rams' mistakes really played right into what they were already saying.

* The Vikings - yes, they gave up some yardage.
Oh well.
38-10 is what matters and not at any point did I think the Vikings were going to lose.
I was talking about this with someone at the tailgate yesterday morning.
In previous years, there was always a point in most games where I felt like things were starting to go sour for the Vikings and the inevitable slide to a loss would begin.
I have been to 3 games now and have not felt that one single time - and that includes the SF last-second win and the GB Packer Smacker from last Monday.

All-in-all, it was an awesome day to be a Viking fan on the road.
SKOL!

=Z=

Marrdro
10-12-2009, 12:28 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

It was awesome to watch that jiggly butt-KICKING the Vikings put on the Rams yesterday.

* St. Louis Vikings Fan Club - met up with the people from that group and had a great time drinking some cold ones before the game.
They tailgated on the sunny side of the stadium (which made a big difference - it was a little chilly yesterday morning).
TKE also showed up with his bro-in-law - as did the film crew who did the taping last week with Willie Howard at the PPO tailgate.
That was weird - and the dude running the show even talked me into doing a pre-game sermon, my first-ever road sermon, LOL!

* Edward Jones Dome - nice wide concourses, never had a big wait for the pisser, lots and lots of purple in the house.
That said - I'd be shocked if that place ever got as loud as the Metrodome does.
The sound seemed to get swallowed up on the few occasions when the Rams fans attempted to exert some influence.
A nice stadium, but their video-replay boards were too small (made it hard to see things), as well.

* St. Louis fans - wow.
Are they fatalistic.
Once Jared Allen took that fumble back (which was right into the end zone where I was sitting), the game was over to listen to those folks.
All of the Rams' mistakes really played right into what they were already saying.

Oh well.
38-10 is what matters and not at any point did I think the Vikings were going to lose.
In previous years, there was always a point in most games where I felt like things were starting to go sour for the Vikings and the inevitable slide to a loss would begin.
I have been to 3 games now and have not felt that one single time - and that includes the SF last-second win and the GB Packer Smacker from last Monday.

SKOL!

=Z=

We need some pics of Z rocking St Louis..... ;D

Zeus
10-12-2009, 12:29 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

It was awesome to watch that jiggly butt-KICKING the Vikings put on the Rams yesterday.

* St. Louis fans - wow.
Are they fatalistic.

Oh well.

SKOL!

I have a couple pics on my cell phone that I'll try to get downloaded tonight.

=Z=

Zeus
10-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Peter King has the Vikings as #1 in his Fine Fifteen in MMQB today.

And he has this blurb:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/peter_king/10/11/week5/5.html

2. I think if you're a Chiefs' fan, you might want to skip this section. Kansas City refused to give Jared Allen a top-tier defensive end contract 18 months ago, instead shipping him to Minnesota for what appeared to be fair compensation three days before the 2008 draft. Here's how the deal looks today:

What the Chiefs got:

1st round (15th overall) Branden Albert, OT -- Starting LT has a chance to be good. In-and-out work ethic.

3rd round (73) Jamaal Charles, RB -- Change-of-pace back averaging five carries a game in 21 pro games.

3rd round (82) DaJuan Morgan, S -- Sub safety who still has to prove self to new coaching staff.

6th round (182) Kevin Robinson, WR -- Cut by Chiefs in '08. Never played for them.

What the Vikings got:

Jared Allen, DE -- The league's best all-around defensive end has 21 sacks and three safeties in 22 Viking games.

6th round (187) John Sullivan, C -- First-year starting center on one of NFL's best lines.

It's not certain, but it's possible that history will show that the Vikings got a more productive player at 187 (Sullivan) than the Chiefs got at 15 (Albert). Ouch.

Hehehehehehe.

=Z=

Marrdro
10-12-2009, 12:34 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

* St. Louis fans - wow.
Are they fatalistic.

Oh well.

SKOL!

=Z=

You hit any of the "Blues" clubs?

Zeus
10-12-2009, 12:41 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

* St. Louis fans - wow.
Are they fatalistic.

Oh well.

SKOL!

You hit any of the "Blues" clubs?

Nope.
Went to see the Blues vs. the LA Kings on Saturday night and then to the Vikes-Rams on Sunday.
Sports weekend.

=Z=

Prophet
10-12-2009, 01:10 PM
"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

Vikes Improve to 5-0

;D

I saw that.

I chuckled.

LOL, thats funny.

+1.
Anyone, whether they are a veteran or a rookie, has to have a life-long learning attitude in order to be successful in football or any other profession.
To think for even a second that TJack has a grasp on things and doesn't need to look at the aerials is insane.
Also, it takes a veteran much less time to see what is going on in photos because he has seen it hundreds of times and has something in his mental file cabinet to hang it on.

Prophet
10-12-2009, 01:30 PM
I was hard watching the four consecutive possessions the Rams had in the red zone where it went field goal, fumble, fumble, INT.
That was something to be proud of.
The 'what-ifers' are insane.

ThorSPL
10-12-2009, 02:05 PM
"Bkfldviking" wrote:

I was thinking that was more along the lines of... while you're down there....

jmcdon00
10-12-2009, 02:19 PM
"oaklandzoo24" wrote:

;)

lmao

midgensa
10-12-2009, 02:47 PM
"Prophet" wrote:

I was hard watching the four consecutive possessions the Rams had in the red zone where it went field goal, fumble, fumble, INT.

Hit that one on the head Prophet.

The what-ifers need to realize something that is great about this defense. Sometimes we bend and get driven on. Going to happen a lot in the Cover 2 honestly. But when we get our backs against the wall, we play defense as well as anyone in the league.

Whether it is the Bears, Packers, Rams or Giants, Ravens and Saints ... just because you get inside the 15 on us does not automatically mean you are going to score a touchdown ... much less a field goal.

V4L
10-12-2009, 02:50 PM
"midgensa" wrote:

"Prophet" wrote:

Hit that one on the head Prophet.

The what-ifers need to realize something that is great about this defense. Sometimes we bend and get driven on. Going to happen a lot in the Cover 2 honestly. But when we get our backs against the wall, we play defense as well as anyone in the league.

Whether it is the Bears, Packers, Rams or Giants, Ravens and Saints ... just because you get inside the 15 on us does not automatically mean you are going to score a touchdown ... much less a field goal.

Just being fair here butttttttttttt

Good football players and teams won't choke like that in the redzone

Glad we capitalized.. but we did luck out a bit and it really shouldn't have been a blow out IMO

oaklandzoo24
10-12-2009, 03:25 PM
"ThorSPL" wrote:

"Bkfldviking" wrote:

I was thinking that was more along the lines of... while you're down there....

Pat Williams:
Get on your knees bitch! I hear you can go real deep on your knees.

tke0933
10-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Just got back into town a couple hours ago.
I agree with Zeus about the concourses, nice and wide.
I don't know if the lack of lines at the pisser had to do with bigger bathrooms or lack of attendance.

About the game, we could/should have had a better pass rush.
Lots of talk on St. Louis radio about the head shots their QBs took with no penalty called.
I saw the KWill shot, but must have missed the others.
The defense stiffened when it had to, but good teams will not be so generous inside the 5, let alone the red zone.

Rams stacked 8 in the box alot.
Favre made them pay.
One of these days, teams will start playing more honest defense.
Peterson will have a hey day then.
Don't know if this is true, but it seems AP is looking to cut it back/outside instead of giving the initial hole a chance to develop.
Showed patience early this season, but he may be pressing a little bit.

I thought the Vikes tried to show a little too much this game.
I know you want to show some things to make your future opponents think, but sometimes its good to stick with what is working and put your opponent away.

keystonevike
10-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Schedule is tough from here on out, with the exception of a couple games. And one that we may have thought was going to be a certain win suddenly became a tough game, at least the way the Bengals are playing right now. But next is the Ravens, and we will have to bring our A game, as we will with the Steelers and the other tough teams coming up. I expect our team to man up and show us that maybe we can start to entertain Super Bowl thoughts.

singersp
10-13-2009, 07:07 AM
"kevoncox" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

;)

;D ;D
Is that the point. If a team is stupid enough not to respect Favre when he starts disecting them, then they deserve to win. Please don't come on here proclaiming that you called anything. All you did was bitch and moan about Favre throwing INTs(he has 2, on enot his fault) and him being washed up. Until you create a thread saying you were completely wrong about Favre and what he brings to this team....you have no credibility in conversations about the passing game vs. the run game. Don't worry, I still love the articles you post ;D ;D.

When Favre plays well down the stretch in the latter part of the season (I've stated he wouldn't), then & only then will I start that thread. Last I checked we were still in the first part of the season. I have stated several times before that with Favre here, teams would continue to stack the box against AD. So far, Favre has only thrown 2 INT's & I'm happy about that, but there are still 11 games left & some damn good defenses we have yet to face.

You on the other hand, proclaimed the mere presence of Favre would pull that extra man out of the box & open up AD's run game, thereby allowing him to achieve his 1,800+ rushing yards.

You also claimed that Favre's passes would be limited to under 25 attempts per game with an occasional 30+ passing game, yet that has only happened twice & in both of those games, Jackson finished the 4th quarter.

Where is your "crow" thread?

singersp
10-13-2009, 07:19 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

;)

;D ;D

a.
Stacked boxes.

b.
Stretched field.

In fact, see item a.
c.
OL would be better.

+1 Marr. Saved me the trouble.

I agree the O-line has been playing better, especially in the Packer game. What was it I said again in the offseason & in the past two years about us needing to adjust the scheme?
;)

Favre has still been sacked 11 times (which is the 8th most) but I am seeing improvement & hope that it's not a fluke.

singersp
10-13-2009, 07:32 AM
The Play of the Game (Or, "Jared Allen is Really Fast") (http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bWyR)

singersp
10-13-2009, 07:34 AM
"singersp" wrote:

The Play of the Game (Or, "Jared Allen is Really Fast") (http://bleacherreport.com/tb/bWyR)

Great play by Allen. Just don't be sticking that ball up in the air like that when you are 15 yards away from the goal line.

Zeus
10-13-2009, 08:02 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Great play by Allen. Just don't be sticking that ball up in the air like that when you are 15 yards away from the goal line.

I will note that there is a video screen right above the end zone into which he was running where he could see there wasn't any Rams near him.

=Z=

singersp
10-13-2009, 08:10 AM
"Zeus" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

I will note that there is a video screen right above the end zone into which he was running where he could see there wasn't any Rams near him.

=Z=

If he was looking at it. That same screen has always been there, but we have seen the ball knocked out of our defenders hands before. We aren't the only team with endzone screens & it isn't like it has never happened.

NodakPaul
10-13-2009, 08:15 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

=Z=

If he was looking at it. That same screen has always been there, but we have seen the ball knocked out of our defenders hands before. We aren't the only team with endzone screens & it isn't like it has never happened.

http://sidesalad.net/archives/DebbieDownerRachaelDratch.jpg

Zeus
10-13-2009, 08:16 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"Zeus" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

I read something in the St. Louis paper in the airport yesterday where he said he was, but I can't find it on their website.

=Z=

ejmat
10-13-2009, 08:24 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

Agreed.
See what happened to Bly this weekend?
Let's give some props to KWill for the pressure.

marstc09
10-13-2009, 08:25 AM
"singersp" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

;)

;D ;D

When Favre plays well down the stretch in the latter part of the season (I've stated he wouldn't), then & only then will I start that thread. Last I checked we were still in the first part of the season. I have stated several times before that with Favre here, teams would continue to stack the box against AD. So far, Favre has only thrown 2 INT's & I'm happy about that, but there are still 11 games left & some damn good defenses we have yet to face.

You on the other hand, proclaimed the mere presence of Favre would pull that extra man out of the box & open up AD's run game, thereby allowing him to achieve his 1,800+ rushing yards.

You also claimed that Favre's passes would be limited to under 25 attempts per game with an occasional 30+ passing game, yet that has only happened twice & in both of those games, Jackson finished the 4th quarter.

I thought those things would happen too. As long as Favre stays healthy he will be fine. The attempts don't bother me. Peterson not having better games when Favre is clearly better than our QBs last year in terms of completions % and rating does. Not sure what is up with him. Is he trying to do to much? Is he not waiting for things to develop? On another note, Favre is on pace to have his lowest INT season ever.
;)

singersp
10-13-2009, 08:30 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

;)

;D ;D

I thought those things would happen too. As long as Favre stays healthy he will be fine. The attempts don't bother me. Peterson not having better games when Favre is clearly better than are QBs last year in terms of completions % and rating does. Not sure what is up with him. Is he trying to do to much? Is he not waiting for things to develop? On another note, Favre is on pace to have his lowest INT season ever.
;)

I'm not worried. If teams shut down the run, but give up the pass, all is good. If teams shut down the pass, but give up the run, all is good also.

That will change from week to week depending on our opponents strengths & weaknesses.

NordicNed
10-13-2009, 08:34 AM
"marstc09" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

"kevoncox" wrote:

"singersp" wrote:

;)

;D ;D

I thought those things would happen too. As long as Favre stays healthy he will be fine. The attempts don't bother me. Peterson not having better games when Favre is clearly better than are QBs last year in terms of completions % and rating does. Not sure what is up with him. Is he trying to do to much? Is he not waiting for things to develop? On another note, Favre is on pace to have his lowest INT season ever.
;)

Crow thread?
The only ones who need those are the Favre bashers and haters....He's making you all look foolish.
He WILL finish the season and he will lead us into the playoffs and beyond.
If anyone needs to ask whats up with AD's running and other on the field questions, they don't know the game and can't see it for themselves whats going on......It's all good by the way and we are Winning because of it....Period

Zeus
10-13-2009, 03:15 PM
From KSK:

http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/LOL-SUCK.jpg

=Z=

V4L
10-13-2009, 03:17 PM
"Zeus" wrote:

From KSK:

http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/LOL-SUCK.jpg

=Z=

Well put

Pat is a pimp

Marrdro
10-14-2009, 05:51 AM
"NordicNed" wrote:

Crow thread?

The only ones who need those are the Favre bashers and haters....He's making you all look foolish.

If anyone needs to ask whats up with AD's running and other on the field questions, they don't know the game and can't see it for themselves whats going on......It's all good by the way and we are Winning because of it....Period

Sometimes you crack me up my friend.

Instead of going on a Naked Ned rant, why not use some facts to make your point, something along the lines of .....
AD has more yards and TDs now than he did last year.

http://blogs.twincities.com/Vikings/2009/10/peterson-welcomes-the-help.html

Then I could come back and say something like.....Nice point Neddy.
Followed by something like, ........

The season still isn't over and he still hasn't made it through the season and he still hasn't demonstrated the ability to stretch the field which would eliminate the stacked boxes and is getting his yards regardless of who plays QB..... kind of points.......You know, real football talk in stead starting with all of the "Hater" stuff again.

No worries though, you, as I said, still crack me up.
;)

ejmat
10-14-2009, 08:12 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"NordicNed" wrote:

Crow thread?

Sometimes you crack me up my friend.

Instead of going on a Naked Ned rant, why not use some facts to make your point, something along the lines of .....

The season still isn't over and he still hasn't made it through the season and he still hasn't demonstrated the ability to stretch the field which would eliminate the stacked boxes and is getting his yards regardless of who plays QB..... kind of points.......You know, real football talk in stead starting with all of the "Hater" stuff again.

;)

Are you stating he's not stretching the field?
Because I can recall several plays down field in which he completed passes.
No, they aren't for 50 or 60 yards but they are for 30+ yards.
Hitting WRs in the middle of the field.
People keep saying the stacked boxes are still there.
We all have to face it that teams schemes are to stop AP.
However look back at the 2nd half of the SF game and the Packer game.
Do you still see a lot of stacked boxes?
The answer is no.
The reason?
Favre is able to move the ball with his arm.

If you want to use the stacked boxes theory I can agree that they have faced more stacked boxes than not.
However, if he keep hitting those 30 yard passes teams will eventually get the hint that stopping AP isn't the only game plan.
If they want to stack boxes now let them.
I am pretty sure it hasn't worked so far since they are scoring 32 points a game and they are 5-0.
I am more confident that Favre can handle those stacked boxes that I was with TJ or Gus.

Marrdro
10-14-2009, 06:52 PM
"ejmat" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"NordicNed" wrote:

Crow thread?

Sometimes you crack me up My Farvish Friend.

;)

The answer is no.
The reason?

If you want to use the stacked boxes theory I can agree that they have faced more stacked boxes than not.
However, if he keep hitting those 30 yard passes teams will eventually get the hint that stopping AP isn't the only game plan.
I am pretty sure it hasn't worked so far since they are scoring 32 points a game and they are 5-0.
I am more confident that Favre can handle those stacked boxes that I was with TJ or Gus.

You know, I would agree with you to a point, however, if you really take a look at were a S lines up against a team that can "Stretch" the field vs a team that throws it in and around the "Box", I don't care how many times we complete a 30 yarder.

They don't have to take thier initial zone deep enough to alleviate stacked boxes as it is only a couple of steps to recover from a pass to help out in the run game.

Kindof why teams will try to take at least 1 or 2 deep shots (successfull or not).
Keeps them Sneaky Assed S's back were they belong.
;)

On a side note, a regular caller on "Moving the Chains" called in with a very novel idea.
The amount of passing vs lack of running plays in a two fold effort by the coaching staff......

Keep AD fresh for later on in the season when we will have to run the ball.
Keeps working the passing game as it isn't quite what it needs to be (ala the Deep Ball) when we get into the second season when we will face teams that can shut AD down.

Kindof a interesting thing to look into/ponder. Is the Chiller sneaky enough to work the season that way?
Some on here probably will say no, I, on the other hand kindof buy into it, at least on a first look basis.

V4L
10-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Great post Marr

Marrdro
10-15-2009, 05:03 AM
"V4L" wrote:

Great post Marr

Thanks my friend.
Even a blind squirell finds an acorn once in awhile.
;)

ejmat
10-15-2009, 09:36 PM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

"NordicNed" wrote:

Crow thread?

Sometimes you crack me up My Farvish Friend.

;)

The answer is no.
The reason?

You know, I would agree with you to a point, however, if you really take a look at were a S lines up against a team that can "Stretch" the field vs a team that throws it in and around the "Box", I don't care how many times we complete a 30 yarder.

They don't have to take thier initial zone deep enough to alleviate stacked boxes as it is only a couple of steps to recover from a pass to help out in the run game.

Kindof why teams will try to take at least 1 or 2 deep shots (successfull or not).
Keeps them Sneaky Assed S's back were they belong.

;)

On a side note, a regular caller on "Moving the Chains" called in with a very novel idea.

The amount of passing vs lack of running plays in a two fold effort by the coaching staff......

Keep AD fresh for later on in the season when we will have to run the ball.
Keeps working the passing game as it isn't quite what it needs to be (ala the Deep Ball) when we get into the second season when we will face teams that can shut AD down.

Kindof a interesting thing to look into/ponder. Is the Chiller sneaky enough to work the season that way?
Some on here probably will say no, I, on the other hand kindof buy into it, at least on a first look basis.

I like what you have to say here Marr but let me ask you a question?
Would you agree that they have tried to go deep once or twice a game?
If so then I am about to disprove your theory.
On most of the plays where they have gone deep there have been Safeties close to the play.
So if I am reading your post correctly isn't that "stretching the field"?
Since it doesn't it matter whether or not they are completing those passes, why are we even having this discussion?
Teams are not going to complete a high % of deep passes.
That is just the way things are in the NFL.
Only a handful of teams have been overly successful in a season that I can recall 98 Vikes and 2007 Pats).

My entire point is this.
Favre has played very well.
Your theory that Favre can't hit the deep pass maybe true to an extent but he has hit the deep pass this year.
One may interpret deep passes different than others.
I have seen Favre hit what I consider to be deep in almost every game this year.
If I look at your interpretation a deep pass has to be over 40 yards in the stat book.
I don't agree because the passing yardage doesn't always tell the true yardage that the ball was in the air.
Therefore those 30 yarders that you don't care about are more than likely 40 yards in the air or very close to it.
The fact he still throws these passes like a freaking lazer tells me he still has a good arm and he can still hit deep passes.
Because most of his passes this year has been pretty on target.

Marrdro
10-16-2009, 05:07 AM
"ejmat" wrote:

On most of the plays where they have gone deep there have been Safeties close to the play.
Since it doesn't it matter whether or not they are completing those passes, why are we even having this discussion?
Only a handful of teams have been overly successful in a season that I can recall 98 Vikes and 2007 Pats).

You are correct, he they have taken thier shots deep and yes, S's have gone with them but not on every play.
Most of the deep shots, the way I remember them, the WR was single covered by the CB or atleast the secondary was in a "Cloud/Cover 3" look with at least one S still cheating up into the box.

As to completion %of deep passes, tell that to Romo, Eli, Peyton, Rodgers and Schaub.

My entire point is this.
Your theory that Favre can't hit the deep pass maybe true to an extent but he has hit the deep pass this year.
I have seen Favre hit what I consider to be deep in almost every game this year.
If I look at your interpretation a deep pass has to be over 40 yards in the stat book.
I don't agree because the passing yardage doesn't always tell the true yardage that the ball was in the air.
Therefore those 30 yarders that you don't care about are more than likely 40 yards in the air or very close to it.
The fact he still throws these passes like a freaking lazer tells me he still has a good arm and he can still hit deep passes.
You are correct, sometimes a "Deep Ball" is nothing more than a stat that is skewed by YAC.
We went over this with what he did in NY last year.
To date, I have only been provided 3 clips of Noodle Arm completing a pass that flew 40 yards or greater threw the air.
Again, that was all brought on by a thing done by Baldy on NFLN were he contended that Noodle arm wasn't able to do it anymore.
Heck if memory serves Baldy even went so far to say that he didn't do it.

Has Noodle arm played well and tried to stay in the system?
Sure, I have already admitted that I don't know how many times, however, I still contend that he isn't doing what almost all of the "Pro Noodle Arm" guys said he would do and that is stretch the field, make the opposing D respect the pass and eliminate stacked boxes.

As Singer pointed out in another thread, who you gonna believe, Marrdro or the players (D-coords in this case)?
D-Coords do not worry about him at this point.
They continue to single cover our WR's and give very little S help over the top allowing them to bring at least one, and at times 2 S's into the box.

That allows them to clog it up for the run as well as to help the LB's in the short/quick stuff.
If/When we start to exploit that outside stuff (BB is catching alot of balls inside) things will open up, again, as most on here contended it would.

By the way, I still worry about his arm and how many "Deep" passes he throws.
I am happy to sit back and watch him dink/dunk all day to save that arm.
;)

ejmat
10-16-2009, 09:19 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

"ejmat" wrote:

You are correct, he they have taken thier shots deep and yes, S's have gone with them but not on every play.
Most of the deep shots, the way I remember them, the WR was single covered by the CB or atleast the secondary was in a "Cloud/Cover 3" look with at least one S still cheating up into the box.

As to completion %of deep passes, tell that to Romo, Eli, Peyton, Rodgers and Schaub.

My entire point is this.
You are correct, sometimes a "Deep Ball" is nothing more than a stat that is skewed by YAC.
We went over this with what he did in NY last year.
To date, I have only been provided 3 clips of Noodle Arm completing a pass that flew 40 yards or greater threw the air.

Again, that was all brought on by a thing done by Baldy on NFLN were he contended that Noodle arm wasn't able to do it anymore.
Heck if memory serves Baldy even went so far to say that he didn't do it.

Has Noodle arm played well and tried to stay in the system?
Sure, I have already admitted that I don't know how many times, however, I still contend that he isn't doing what almost all of the "Pro Noodle Arm" guys said he would do and that is stretch the field, make the opposing D respect the pass and eliminate stacked boxes.

As Singer pointed out in another thread, who you gonna believe, Marrdro or the players (D-coords in this case)?
D-Coords do not worry about him at this point.
They continue to single cover our WR's and give very little S help over the top allowing them to bring at least one, and at times 2 S's into the box.

That allows them to clog it up for the run as well as to help the LB's in the short/quick stuff.
If/When we start to exploit that outside stuff (BB is catching alot of balls inside) things will open up, again, as most on here contended it would.

;)

That is a fair post Marrdro.
The only thing I will say is if defenses continue to post a man on man defense against the WRs and try to key on AP then that is their problem.
Favre will burn them for doing so. He already has.
That is what the pro-Favre crowd has said all along.
The WRs are getting open and Favre is finding the open WR.
Personally I don't care whether they are 40 yard passes or 5 yard passes as long as the chains are being moved and they are scoring TDs.
So far, they are doing both so I am very happy with what the team is doing.

The Ravens will be a great test.
The have a great defense with some very smart players.
The one thing I keep mentioning however that seems to be left out of the replies is that SF and GB stopped stacking the box.
Why is that?
Because Favre beat them with his arm when he needed to do so.

NodakPaul
10-16-2009, 11:09 AM
"Marrdro" wrote:

;)

Is everything under 40 yards a dink and dunk?
Watch the highlights from this game:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/minnesota-vikings/09000d5d8135145f/NFL-Scoreboard-Vikings-Rams-highlights

Favre has several passes (at least four featured in this video) that went for more than 20 yards through the air.
Might not be a "deep" pass in your book, but they are hardly dink and dunk either.

ejmat
10-16-2009, 01:47 PM
"NodakPaul" wrote:

"Marrdro" wrote:

;)

Is everything under 40 yards a dink and dunk?
Watch the highlights from this game:
http://www.nfl.com/videos/minnesota-vikings/09000d5d8135145f/NFL-Scoreboard-Vikings-Rams-highlights

Favre has several passes (at least four featured in this video) that went for more than 20 yards through the air.
Might not be a "deep" pass in your book, but they are hardly dink and dunk either.

Not to mention the way they are thrown.
LAZERS.
Not just lobs.
These aer the types of passes I have been talking about.